Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lunera said:

And she's actually wearing a real maternity shirt not a belly hugging t-shirt that stops right under her belly.

Still don't know why her sisters don't invest in proper maternity clothes. If I got pregnant that's the first thing I'd be excited to shop for.

Jinger has always worn lose clothing.  Let's see what she looks like when she gets bigger.  So far she's doing classic-Duggar pregnancy.

Edited by RedheadZombie
I guess my fingers refused to type Jinger with a J
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

The Duggar girls do have the option of doing what my mother did way back in the dark ages when she was pregnant with me - she would just buy clothes  1-2 suzes larger than she normally wore. Worked like a charm!  After I was born a few people (who she saw on daily basis) told her they didn’t even know she had been pregnant- and I was a 10 pounder at birth!’

I feel I've told this story before, but once upon a time I stepped into Old Navy and found myself with a size small maternity top (everything else was medium).  The young clerk very tactfully stage-whispered that it was a MATERNITY top, which I thought was very cute, like she was worried on my behalf that someone was going to go dredging through the tags of my clothing and mis-term me, or like I would go to the club and lose out on potential dates.  I had plain and simply been looking for a thermal long-sleeved top in that color, and I swear it fit exactly the same as the women's size medium.  (I may or may not have also come out of that trip with a men's small or two.)  

• Love 12
5 hours ago, zoomama said:

hmm thinking here. if you take joy's comment about there being  6 month difference between their due dates, this would have made joy due last week!

I think Joy included February in her count. 

• Love 1
On 1/25/2018 at 7:38 AM, RedheadZombie said:

There's a lot of positives to the Amish faith, but their insistence of immediate forgiveness means Amish girls are being raped and little is done about it.  They're also known for some of the most horrific puppy mills.

Oh, they can be deeply flawed, indeed.  They’re far from perfect, but some of their virtues are indeed admirable.  What they get wrong is shocking indeed. Rumspringa seems pretty darn cool, though.

• Love 3

I used to work in an Amish community. As in there was a buggy hitching post at both ends of the parking lot. They were super trusting and for the most part, did their own thing. I was a manager at a store that was a regional chain, think almost a Walmart kinda store. They would shop in our store, take the buggy down to the other end, leave all their stuff in the buggy and then do their grocery shopping. No one touched their stuff. I was surprised the first time I saw a ton of bags in the vestibule of our store full of groceries. Again, just sitting on the floor, all paid for, waiting for someone to do their shopping in our store and pick back up on the way out. I will say, the Amish girls could be HUGE thieves though. Amish mom wasn't buying anything but basic white bras and panties, but the girls certainly knew how to steal them. Makeup too. My favorite part was Friday was pretty much Amish day out, they would visit friends and the younger Amish would "party" in their Amish way on Friday nights. The girls would come in all Amish, but carrying a big tote bag. They would high tail it to the restroom, change into "Yankee" clothes and makeup (yeah, that's what they called us nonAmish), ditch the bag in the vestibule, go hang out at the pizza place, the Chinese place, or any of the fast food places across the street for a few hours, and then come back to reverse the process before we closed. Ironically, the Amish couldn't get enough candy, it was like Halloween amounts of candy every day at our store, and prefab boxed cheap ass furniture. People will pay top dollar for Amish made furniture and they were building Sauder boxed for their own homes. I did see the Amish extremes though too. We had a cashier who was well into her 50's whose father had been born Amish. He left the fold when he was 17, 18 years old, married a non Amish girl, and had just the one daughter. He, for whatever reason, never left the area and was shunned for life, as was his daughter. There were plenty of older Amish women who would go out of their way to avoid her and her line in our store, like they knew exactly who she and her father were and going thru her line would force them to acknowledge her existence. I also loved when the older woman would pretend to not speak English to us, they spoke German, then walk away speaking English. 

As for Jinger, she looks absolutely adorable and pregnancy seems to agree with her. I'm doubting we get skin tight layered shirt pics from her and I hope like hell she actually is seeing an OBGYN and has a safe hospital birth or a legit home birth, not of the Dr Jill, lack of medical knowledge woman birth, if that's what she wants. I somehow don't see a home birth in her future though, not for the first one at least. Count me in the I hope she has a girl group, I think she and Jeremy would have a beautiful, beautiful little girl. 

• Love 19
26 minutes ago, zoomama said:

oh, come on ya'll. this is HER first pregnancy and she is excited about it. let her be herself and be happy. when its her 15th, i can see the comments but this is her first time through.

AND she waited a tiny bit over a YEAR! Once Jessa announces she's onto the 3rd, her pictures will be far more obnoxious. Jill will be near death with a 3rd and she'll have a picture every day. My every hope would be to see a picture of her at an actual doctor for a checkup, THAT would be the most impressive.

• Love 18
55 minutes ago, Madtown said:

AND she waited a tiny bit over a YEAR! Once Jessa announces she's onto the 3rd, her pictures will be far more obnoxious. Jill will be near death with a 3rd and she'll have a picture every day. My every hope would be to see a picture of her at an actual doctor for a checkup, THAT would be the most impressive.

What did she wait for? 

28 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Women document their pregnancies in so many ways these days.  I’ve seen chalkboards, holding actual fruit, full couples photoshoots for every month of growth. More than anyone else, Jinger deserves to do normal first time mom things.  

I'm young, but I see this as silly. It's proof our culture is obsessive. The Duggars follow many millenial trends, such as taking pictures with the faux surprised facial expression, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't snark on them. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 9

I was 35 when I had my second kiddo and I took pictures of my bell (in maternity clothes natch). Not monthly, no photoshoots or anything, just me and my iPhone.  The only photo I posted was comparison shots between my two pregnancies at 40 wks - mainly to show how  screwed I was because holy hell was my second baby huge.

I don’t consider myself a narcissist or attention whore. I just thought what my body was doing was badass and I was proud of it. 

But I do agree that weekly updates are much especially after multiple kids 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

I would agree with you in any other circumstances -- a young couple wanting to start a family is a perfectly lovely thing.

We know that Jeremy had a rule about "no Duggars for 6 months," and I can easily see him having another rule about "no babies for a year." The fact that Jinger got knocked up almost immediately after their first anniversary makes this seem likely (to me).

If that's the case, then this whole year while we've watched her blossom and wear new clothes and travel and have fun with her first boyfriend, she's just been counting down the hours until baby-making time. She's now going to literally re-create her sisters' pregnancies frame-by-frame.

It's not her fault, it's mine. Every time I see one of them take some small steps into the world, I feel hopeful. Josh and Anna looked like they were actually beginning to form their own relationship and their own family, but they didn't make it. Jill married an educated guy who wanted to travel the world -- they crashed and burned almost as hard as Josh and Anna. 

I get my hopes up, and then I'm disappointed. It's not Jinger's fault that she wants to live the life that she has always been taught is the only "right" way to live, it's mine for having any hope that she will break away -- even a little bit. The reality is, though, that people don't ease away from cults. The only way for any of them to leave the cult would be to completely leave and to stay away while undergoing intensive de-programming.

To be honest about it I am not surprise Josh and Anna and Derick and Jill crashed and burned. I had the feeling something was off with both couples at the beginning. In the case of Jinger, I think Jeremy is trying to do some intensive de-programming with her. At least she did not get pregnant right away and clinging to her family. Good for her. I still cannot stand her or Jeremy, but at least they are some improvement over the other Duggar marriages.

Edited by bigskygirl
Cannot type worth a darn!

Now, now everyone! Pregnancy is what the Duggar women do best. Lets not take it away from them. I am sure Jinger is excited about her first baby, so nothing against her. I could do without the congratulations, are you pregnant, or we are surprise we are pregnant since we do not use any form of birth control spiels the Duggars are famous or infamous for.

Edited by bigskygirl
6 hours ago, zoomama said:

oh, come on ya'll. this is HER first pregnancy and she is excited about it. let her be herself and be happy. when its her 15th, i can see the comments but this is her first time through.

It's that tacky as hell chalkboard pose that makes me sick.

4 hours ago, Temperance said:

What did she wait for? 

I'm young, but I see this as silly. It's proof our culture is obsessive. The Duggars follow many millenial trends, such as taking pictures with the faux surprised facial expression, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't snark on them. 

Yes, it's also the sharing of this nonsense with millions of complete strangers that bewilders me. Share some pics with your friends and family, no one else cares.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

It's that tacky as hell chalkboard pose that makes me sick.

Yes, it's also the sharing of this nonsense with millions of complete strangers that bewilders me. Share some pics with your friends and family, no one else cares.

Now I want to take a pic with my kitten (well she's 17 months old)  in front of a chalkboard.  

I am feeling old and if I had a cane I would be waving it.  I loathe the trend of every freaking hallmark in ones life being turned into some 'LOOK AT ME' moment.  I do understand wanting to take a pic to see how your body is changing but your eleventy billion followers don't need to see it.  Don't get me started on food pics.  

• Love 24
5 hours ago, Absolom said:

One photo does not a Gothardized robot make.

No, 20+ years of conditioning does. A photo would just be confirmation.

Not that I think that particular photo is. The apple thing is corny as hell, but otherwise I don't see anything wrong with weekly photo updates. I much prefer those to the Gothardized robot gazing adoringly at her headship. 

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Not that I think that particular photo is. The apple thing is corny as hell, but otherwise I don't see anything wrong with weekly photo updates. I much prefer those to the Gothardized robot gazing adoringly at her headship

Now, Jinger has THAT down!!!

• Love 10

For those who hate maternity clothes, if it fits within your budget, I recommend Seraphine.  My daughter wore quite a bit of that and it was both stylish and comfortable.  Jinger is currently the only hope I have of a Duggar daughter not wearing stretched out regular Wal Mart knit tops. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

Not that I think that particular photo is. The apple thing is corny as hell, but otherwise I don't see anything wrong with weekly photo updates. I much prefer those to the Gothardized robot gazing adoringly at her headship. 

Or the wide eyed happy face expression Jill has when Dwerp Boy brought home chocolate milk. Gag me with a spoon!

4 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Now I want to take a pic with my kitten (well she's 17 months old)  in front of a chalkboard.  

I am feeling old and if I had a cane I would be waving it.  I loathe the trend of every freaking hallmark in ones life being turned into some 'LOOK AT ME' moment.  I do understand wanting to take a pic to see how your body is changing but your eleventy billion followers don't need to see it.  Don't get me started on food pics.  

I could not agree more! LOOK AT ME! MORE ME NOW!  Even engagements seem to require a clandestine photographer to capture the moment. Nothing is private, nothing is just between the couple. I find it vulgar and tacky. 

• Love 22

If people didn't care, they wouldn't follow her Insta. Jinger didn't bring that photo over to this forum--a poster did because we were talking about it. 

All social media is vapid, but it also works for enough people to make it common. 

• Love 13
On 1/26/2018 at 1:40 PM, yogi2014L said:

Maternity clothes suck for the most part. They all look the same.  haha! I am 19 weeks and just started wearing mine. So far its been $$$ and I have to primarily shop online ( despite living in Chicago suburbs- most stores dont have a ton of the selection out of the floor- its probably way harder in NWA!) 

But I agree that they should wear proper clothes! All my shirts started getting ' short' and it just is uncomfortable and not to mention it doesn't look good. It really doesn't make sense they are so reluctant to purchase decent maternity clothing considering they will be pregnant for like 20 years. If I was planning on 5+ pregnancies, I would be buying really nice, durable, comfy maternity clothes. 

When I was pregnant over 16 years ago I lucked out and found the JC Penney Maternity line. Even though we had a few stores in town I ended up ordering on line anyway. At the time, my budget was super limited but I was able to get the perfect staples plus a sundress or two.  Really cute stuff, washed well and flattering.  Even better if you sign up for sale alerts and then some things are a downright steal.  I got tons of compliments too.  Much more than when I wasn’t pregnant ?. When I was done with them I passed them onto friends and then they passed them on too.

The Duggar girls would look so much more put together if they tried it. It seems like they wear whatever is in the pregnancy bin and that is a shame. If you do it right, a couple of Penny’s or similar type outfits would cost the same as Wal-Mart if you shop during sales.  I get it that they just want to swap items but they don’t look like they fit right to begin with. 

I also had great luck with Motherhood Maternity too. Not sure if their prices are still as good though.

Congtatulations on all of your new family additions. Best wishes!!

• Love 6

Its rather sad that kids coming up now will never know life without a like button or a camera in their pocket. They will never take a picture to be tucked into a private family album to capture a memory, but to take one and post it on SM. 

Most will have a constant competitive mindset when it comes to living life. The proof of staying home on a Saturday night will be the absence of a picture and absence of likes. Many who aren't dining out, going to parties, concerts, vacations, etc will sit home and compare & despair.

Parents will need a whole new skill set to raise kids in this celebrity-like atmosphere.

Jinger is a quasi-celebrity and sharing with her "fans" and hopefully she'll only post a couple more bump pics, no one needs to see 5 more monthly photos.

• Love 22

To me, social media is like a gigantic brag book.  Stagy, phony, and sometimes pathetic. 

Thank you to the previous poster for giving me a new line:  get off my lawn, before I get the hose!  

See, the nice thing about being old is, I enjoy having an excuse to be grumpy, and it's kind of fun :)

I hope Jin doesn't get into a pissing contest with the rest of her sisters and SIL's with the constant sideways preggo pics.  Like @GeeGolly, I'm hopeful that she'll only do an occasional update.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Its rather sad that kids coming up now will never know life without a like button or a camera in their pocket. They will never take a picture to be tucked into a private family album to capture a memory, but to take one and post it on SM. 

Most will have a constant competitive mindset when it comes to living life. The proof of staying home on a Saturday night will be the absence of a picture and absence of likes. Many who aren't dining out, going to parties, concerts, vacations, etc will sit home and compare & despair.

Parents will need a whole new skill set to raise kids in this celebrity-like atmosphere.

Jinger is a quasi-celebrity and sharing with her "fans" and hopefully she'll only post a couple more bump pics, no one needs to see 5 more monthly photos.

I find it incredibly sad. Lots of narcissists being created.

• Love 16
17 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I think the problem is, though, that by far the best paying employment any of the Duggarlings has is "fame object on cable tv and social media." .... So posting this stuff for all to see is really part of the job description.

With the possible exception of Austin, not one married Duggarling or Duggar marryer-in so far could support his/her couple/family in anything like the style to which they've long been accustomed without that TeeVee money. (And I absolutely include Jeremy -- I love trendy shoes and suits -- in that. That tiny-church salary won't cut it.)

And unlike with actors, for example, once this show goes down the tubes and their fandom begins to forget, they're very very very very very unlikely to have the chance to land any similar "employment." So I can see why they feel they have to keep the PR train chugging. 

I think they'd all be better off personally and, ultimately, even financially if they just stopped it and concentrated full-time on developing more stable ways of making money. But since that doesn't seem to be happening in a more than halfhearted fashion (at best), I expect they see 'putting themselves out there' for the world to enjoy as Job One. And you gotta keep doing Job One.

Plus, of course, it's a near-lifelong habit with all the Duggarlings. And they're not thinkers. So doing anything else probably doesn't even occur to them. ....(And the spouses (or at least most of them) got onboard because they (or their fathers) could benefit from the fame. So they won't stop anything.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 20

I’m not a fan of Pinterest anyway. Everything just looks contrived and unoriginal to me. We went to a wedding and EVERYTHING was right out of Pinterest. Maybe because I am a graphic designer and I, you know, design for a living. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I find it incredibly sad. Lots of narcissists being created.

OT, but a lot of folks are now studying the topic.  A good aggregation of Internet effects, if you have time:

http://davidrainoshek.com/2013/06/how-facebook-fb-is-altering-your-mind-2/

57 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I’m not a fan of Pinterest anyway. Everything just looks contrived and unoriginal to me. We went to a wedding and EVERYTHING was right out of Pinterest. Maybe because I am a graphic designer and I, you know, design for a living. 

I don't even understand it.  I mean, I "understand it", but I'm looking to tag... you know... information.  A pretty picture of an instructable, is worth nothing to me without the instructions for said instructable, and it's actually a lot of work to go furrowing about for the attached "25 uses for the Ikea Billy bookcase".  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Angeltoes said:

Pinterest is a dream for finding recipes.  I click those babies like crazy, have hundreds saved, and have made about three of them.

I do agree with that. I found a peasant bread recipe that I use to this day.

• Love 4

Where’s Izzy? Poor kid is already forgotten after only  2 kids.

JD is obviously the family pilot, perhaps they will add Josiah later. What does JD do while the marrieds are at weddings, etc? I’m happy he gets out of the house more than Jana, but he is just another Jslave.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 13