Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

George Stephanopolous is doing a live Special Report on ABC as I type about Prince's death, & Harry Smith is also doing 1 on NBC; CBS is also doing 1. It probably is or soon will be Breaking News on the cable news channels, as well.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Terrible news about Prince.  It shines a new light on the incident last week, when his plane made the emergency landing and he was taken to the hospital.  At the time, they said it was the flu, but now you have to wonder if it was something worse that may not have been diagnosed.

• Love 5

Aw, MAN.  I am the biggest Prince fan, and I am legitimately saddened by this.  He was a once-in-a-lifetime talent and a legendary performer.  RIP, Prince. :(

• Love 7

No.  Really, just no.

This one is going to take a while to sink in.

ETA:  His was the last arena size concert I went too.  It was amazing.  He was something else onstage, so electrifying.

RIP Prince. 

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 2

Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and now Prince...the iconic pop musicians of my childhood are all gone, with the exception of Madonna.

The four people I named practically built the MTV generation.

RIP Prince...he was a true original.

• Love 7
At the time, they said it was the flu, but now you have to wonder if it was something worse that may not have been diagnosed.

Maybe that, or maybe something else was diagnosed and he/his publicist just said it was the flu.  Whatever happened, it's too bad, because he was much too young to die.

I hadn't listened to his music in a long time (other than still hearing old songs on the radio), but a couple of weeks ago I had a craving and pulled out his greatest hits CD.  He had a fairly original sound, and was quite the entertainer (I only saw him in concert once, but it was a good show).

• Love 2

I am in fucking tears right now.  I have been a Prince fan since Still Waiting (yes, I am aging myself).  But damn.  This one really hurts.

Off to watch his Rock & Roll Hall of Fame performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

• Love 6

Shocking. I think I just called him pretentious on another thread. Wow, sorry for that now! I did love Purple Rain, it's in my top 10 albums that I love. I just watched the movie the other day on VH1. It's one of my guilty pleasures (guilty about the acting, not the songs).

Maybe that, or maybe something else was diagnosed and he/his publicist just said it was the flu.  Whatever happened, it's too bad, because he was much too young to die.

Yeah, I thought that after posting - could have been something more serious that he knew about, and didn't want announced.  In any case, tragic news.

This one really hurts. I saw Prince in concert senior year of high school and it was just amazing. Watching him play that guitar cannot be adequately expressed but the best I can do is say that it was one of those times that I actually believed magic could truly exist. My boss and I are holding it together well but only because we don't want to freak out our patients.

• Love 5

Damn.   I really almost didn't believe it at first because this year has been too much.

RIP Prince.

Someone please compare this year to other years.    Please tell me this year is no different for the number of deaths than any other year, it's just more familiar names due to age.    Because if 2016 really does have it out for the celebs of my era I am going to have words with someone.

• Love 6

Yeah, I thought that after posting - could have been something more serious that he knew about, and didn't want announced.  In any case, tragic news.

I am in a very fragile health state right now which might be why when I saw him getting into a car on TMZ last week I thought he looked even more fragile.

So, so, so very sad. Too young. But still beautiful.

• Love 3

There is a meme going around social media where it reads something like "GRRM is writing the script for 2016," and I believe it.

I am not sure if there have been more celebrity deaths thus far this year. I do think there have been a lot of celebrities dying at a younger age this year. :(

• Love 7

This Prince news is the saddest I have felt about a celebrity death since MJ. I love Prince. He was always my example when I tried to come up with music 98% of people would like at a school dance or wedding. I'm like, everybody likes Prince. I don't know if any artists that are still living could please 98% of people. 

Listening to Kiss on repeat for the rest of the day. 

• Love 6

I haven't done a scientific study, but I think what's been unusual about 2016 so far is the number of celebrity/artist deaths that occurred before age 70:  Bowie, Rickman and Patty Duke were all 69, Glenn Frye and Gary Shandling were 66, and now Prince at fifty-freakin'-seven.  It's too much.

• Love 2

Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and now Prince...the iconic pop musicians of my childhood are all gone, with the exception of Madonna.

The four people I named practically built the MTV generation.

RIP Prince...he was a true original.

100% this post

I think my cousin is one of the biggest fans of Prince. There are people on Facebook posting their condolences on his page like he was a close family member. RIP PRN

That is so sweet.  So, so sad though.  I'm sorry for your cousin too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2