Type keyword(s) to search

Past Contestants: Ins and Outs

• Start Topic

I knew I'd find you all here! I'm crushed to hear this news about Chris. I'd been following his recovery and donated to the GoFundMe his friends set up for him a few times. I know he was struggling valiantly to get better. My heart is broken. He was such a warm and generous man, so joyful and ready to laugh that big, contagious laugh. A true original. He will be so very much missed. If there's an afterlife you know he's there, making everyone look fabulous. 

• Love 10

I so loved this collection.  Frankly it was the most cohesive of the final four.  Even though I've come to appreciate Christian way more than I did during the season I always thought Chris at the time should have won.  And now I'm totally pissed because I never got one of his Halloween wigs from Target, but they were always sold at any of our local stores.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 8

CherryMalotte, how great to see you again!  Thank you for posting that video; it reminded me of how terrific that final collection was. Yes, it was cohesive, but it also had something for every figure type. It was elegant and cutting edge. I loved the colors, the silhouettes, everything!  Too bad the so-called 'fashion-forward' minded judges were so squeamish about his use of human hair. I mean, it isn't as if he scalped anyone to get it! Even people who won't wear leather or fur because of animal cruelty don't clutch their pearls over wool and other fabrics made from animal contributions.

Ah well. It was a very competitive season - though a classy one. Remember when Jillian, who'd lost a challenge everyone expected her to win, shrugging it off and saying "I have honest eyes. There's room for everyone here to excel."

I already miss Chris March. He should still be in the world with us. And Meryl Streep shouldn't have let anyone else dress her for events!

• Love 9
(edited)
17 hours ago, cinsays said:

are there some kind of straps from the nether regions to the boots? can't be.....right?

I think that there is a panel of fabric that fell in a fashion that was unattractive in the photograph - I think it almost looks like a modesty panel.  Did he have a matching diaper though?

Oddly enough it also looks like he shows this in two looks - one with pants and one without.

Edited by RoxiP
10 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

Shall we watch video of Sebastian's show? Let's!

That show was beyond amazing! Not only was it fashionable but I could actual wear many of these clothes (being 5’2”, over 50, busty, and not at my skinniest.

Too bad there wasn’t someone like Sebastian in terms of talent and innovation this past season.

That man will have a wonderful career.

That was kind of an odd venue.

• Love 1

Wow, that really was fantastic.  It had a depth that even his PR show didn't have.  Everything seemed really fresh, easy, elegant and sophisticated.  And cool.

Those of you who follow fashion, is his stuff referential?  It doesn't look that way to my uneducated eye.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Wow, that really was fantastic.  It had a depth that even his PR show didn't have.  Everything seemed really fresh, easy, elegant and sophisticated.  And cool.

Those of you who follow fashion, is his stuff referential?  It doesn't look that way to my uneducated eye.

Also uneducated, but the quilting could be associated with Chanel.  I don't even care, I loved it!

• Love 1

I’ve mentioned in these forums that Laura Bennett lives in my hometown of Bethlehem, PA (her late husband was the grandson of a wealthy silk mill owner, and Laura inherited the family estate when her husband passed).  Well, yesterday I was out for a walk in my neighborhood, and I swear she drove by me as I stood on a corner waiting to cross the street!  She actually stopped and was waiting for me to cross, but I was resting and waved her on, then stood there staring creepily as the gears in my brain ground through “Is that...nahhh...yeahhh???...it IS!!!  Hey!!”

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Ashley is making masks too

She is selling them to the public on her website and also donating them to local healthcare workers. A friend of mine in San Diego ordered some masks from Ashley (she figured since she's local, she would get her masks sooner rather than later). She said they're very well made and that she's going to order some more for her family members.

A couple of weeks ago, as the coronavirus pandemic reached San Diego County, she shifted gears and began creating reusable face masks.

She posted her first mask design on Instagram – one made of bright orange material with a Frida Kahlo print on it – and said customers quickly began to order them.

Nell Tipton decided she would transform her studio, for now, into a hub where she would continue creating these face masks. So far, she and a small staff have sewn more than 700 of them.

“We are making face masks until we can’t anymore,” she told NBC 7 and Telemundo 20 this week.

The masks, in Nell Tipton’s signature style, are fashionable and made with vibrant, patterned fabrics. She said the masks are made of felt on the inside, plus two layers of cotton that include the printed fabric and the lining. They’re washable and currently sell for $17.95 a pop.

[...]

More than anything, Nell Tipton said she is making the masks because she wants to do something for her community in a time of crisis.

She has hired a few friends and family members to help sew the masks – most of whom are out of jobs right now due to the impacts of the pandemic.

She said it feels good to be able to provide some sort of income for the people working in her studio.

Nell Tipton said many people have been buying the masks to donate to others. Some are even offering to donate funds, materials or their time to the designer’s mask-making project.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Why are they not wearing masks in the studio?

17 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I see this all over the place.  Are they awesomely comfortable? No.  Is it worth risking my health or life to go without? Not a chance.

Also, I was under the impression that those making protective masks for healthcare workers were required to wear them while producing. That’s what I got from the article about Christian's operation, though it may not be accurate.

14 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Why are they not wearing masks in the studio?

That photo was posted on March 23, three days after Christian Siriano responded to Cuomo’s plea to get masks for healthcare workers. I know that time has ceased to have meaning since the shelter in place orders took effect, but that was three weeks ago (which is a lifetime ago on the coronavirus timeline). At that time, the official word from the government was that we (non-healthcare workers) should not be wearing masks.

When I originally posted info on making homemade masks (on social media, not here), I got some angry comments about how wearing cotton masks were worse than not wearing masks at all (because cotton does not filter the virus and the cotton gets damp from exhaling which means bacteria could start growing) so companies that pivoted to making masks were focused on making cloth covers which were not intended to be worn by themselves.

Many nurses I knew were the ones requesting cotton masks to wear over the N95 masks that they were being forced to wear for multiple shifts and responded to the cotton mask criticisms with “something is better than nothing.” My nurse friends said they wanted something washable that would keep their N95 masks cleaner because many of them said that they ended up with fluids on them by the end of a shift and they still had to wear those dirty masks for several more shifts. Hospitals that were accepting donations were washing all of the cotton masks  before distributing them to employees  

It wasn’t until April 2 (a week and a half after Ashley posted that picture) that Governor Newsom recommended that the people should wear masks in public.

In addition, Ashley said she hired family members and a few friends to help make masks so I’m assuming that her family members had already been in regular contact with each other. 

The recommendations keep changing so I can’t really fault Ashley’s family for not wearing masks before they were told to do so by the government. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

That may be the best picture of Ashley I've ever seen.  I love that her personality shines through.  And the Freda mask is brilliant (I wonder if she's approached the museums doing Freda shows ...)

But. How does she sew with great, beautiful long fingernails?

I caught some old episodes of Joe Zee’s “All on the Line” show from 2010 - 2011 on Roku TV. It features some designers after their Project Runway stint (Kara Janx, Korto, Qrystal.) But I was really surprised to see one designer from the latest season: Prajje! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Didn't know where else to put this but I found it wildly interesting.  Anyone remember Swapnil, a super talented and handsome Indian contestant from some years back?  Swapnil has transitioned and she is now Saisha.  She designed the winning gown for Miss India, who won Miss Universe 2021.  Miss Universe and the gown are gorgeous.  Happy for Saisha.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2

I’ve been rewatching some of the older seasons since I stopped watching at some point when I was a teenager and have only watch sporadically as an adult.  

Does anyone remember an episode where the contestant quits in the middle of the night? I believe the lady was a teacher, did they ever say why exactly she left so abruptly?  On the show they were just like so and so left but I’m pretty sure she was never on camera again.

The only thing I read was the lady was paranoid about being in the bottom which sounded stupid.  Did any of the contestants, Tim, or the judges ever explain what really happened?  I think maybe a second contestant (a guy) also quit unexpectedly that season.

I just googled it.  She was Andrea Katz, and from what I can tell she was working in a partnership with Chris Palu and they ended up in the bottom 3 and she was paranoid that she was going to be kicked off.  She packed up and left in the middle of the night and would not answer her door at her home.  At some point (either pre-or post PR) she was a professor at Parsons.

• Useful 2
20 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I just googled it.  She was Andrea Katz, and from what I can tell she was working in a partnership with Chris Palu and they ended up in the bottom 3 and she was paranoid that she was going to be kicked off.  She packed up and left in the middle of the night and would not answer her door at her home.  At some point (either pre-or post PR) she was a professor at Parsons.

It seemed so odd to be that she’d leave like a thief in the middle of the night because she was afraid of getting kicked off.  I mean was she worried getting kicked off was going to affect her teaching career some how?  Didn’t she say it be a relief to leave or something of the sort then threw the young guy under the best and claim she never said that really.  The whole thing was strange to me.

• Like 1

I think Andrea realized she was too old to put up with reality tv crap. She left in the middle of the night so as not to give them dramatic footage or give an exit interview. She was over it so wrote an email to say she was safe and was not going to participate further. That's been my view of the situation anyway; I don't know if this has been stated by anyone actually involved in the matter. 

The day the contestants found out she left, another designer, Kooan (who has since passed away) announced he was withdrawing from the show as well. The show had drained him of his joy. He can be spotted observing the finale runway collections though. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 4/4/2023 at 9:19 AM, ML89 said:

Anthony Williams (now Elle) is on HGTV's Luxe for Less and currently on Rock the Block.

And Anthony is, of course, on the Barbie Dream House Challenge, which starts on HGTV Sunday July 16 at 8. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1