Type keyword(s) to search

Past Contestants: Ins and Outs

• Start Topic

The first (and possibly second) AS mentor was Joanna Coles and she was wonderful - I'd seen her as a judge and found her caustic, but as a mentor she was perfect - nurturing and encouraging but very clear-eyed. AS 3 had Zanna Roberts Rossi, and she was awful. It got to the point that whenever she gave advice I shouted "Do the exact opposite!" at the screen.

I wonder why they don't try to get a successful designer to be the mentor for All Stars?  I know the show has lost its luster, and I'm not sure if any successful designer wants to be too involved in mentoring designers to make an outfit in a day, but I think it would be sort of cool.  Especially since the mentor would be working with people who were already on the show and so...hopefully....would be working at a somewhat higher level.

So many of PR's early guest judges were talented designers, and some of them had a very nurturing personality.  I liked where Fashion Show was going with Issac Mizrahi (I thought he was their mentor) and I think he might be good for something like that.

I'm sure no one wants to mess with the flagship, and I understand having TG as the mentor for that show because many of them are fresh out of design school, or they have just been sort of tinkering with fashion as a second job sort of thing, so having someone who is a teacher as a mentor is helpful.  But those designers on All Stars should be a little more seasoned, and a better fit to be mentored by a successful designer.

Katie Lee Joel, Season One of Top Chef. A slab of concrete would have been less stiff and more charismatic :)

Yes, she was terrible. But that season is still my favorite, because back then it was actually somewhat real. Well, that, and Padma gives me hives.

Why not pick out one these fashion blogger types they've been using as guest judges? Some of them were really cute.

I would stay home and wait up religiously to see a show featuring the ladies of Go Fug Yourself.

Oh, how I wish it could be so.  But I think the PR producers have learned their lesson from their former association with Tom and Lorenzo - intelligent literate bloggers are likely to call your show on its bullshit, and we can't have that, now can we.

• Love 3

Wikipedia is a handy guide to go through old seasons.

I actually really liked Alyssa Milano, and I think I didn't mind Carolyn Murphy.  Heidi is miles & miles better than she used to be, but her haughty, unhinged, high pitched scream "HELLO!?!!" whenever she greets the designers on the runway before she announces the challenge, and basically her only critique ever being the non-compliment, "You know I just feel like I haven't seen this before" drive me totally crazy.

Season 1's  Robert Plotkin is one of the most beautiful men, ever to me.

In Season 2,  I don't think anything on this show has ever surpassed Santino (my favourite personality) mocking Tim and Andrae's secret Red Lobster love affair.

Season 7:  I think my 2nd favourite all-time personality has to be Anthony Williams.

Oh, and I loooove Christopher too!  (Season 10?)

My favourite personalities besides this:  all those boys from Season 2 (Nick, Andrae, Daniel), Mychael Knight, Kortu Momolu, Nicolas Putvinski, Michael Costello. 

In their first seasons I think I loved Ricky, Ra'mon, Jerell Scott, Jay Nicolas, Joshua Mck, but I think I didn't care so much on re-watch.  I usually strongly take someone's side because of some early adversity and can't shake the loyalty.  I get really involved.  

I'm very pro-Anya!  And fashion designing is in my family so I swear I do appreciate the art.

And Olivier was hilarious.

The Season 10 baby challenge was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the show, if not the funniest.

Wow, Season 12 really was a season full of assholes wasn't it?  Though Sandro was beyond entertaining.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

When did Zanna Roberts Rassi's babies born? She announced last December she was pregnant with twins. I suppose she could do Project Runway All-Stars in addition to her regular job even with infant twins, but I wouldn't want to. That's a lot of time away from the babies and also from sleep.

I'd rather have Joanna Coles, but since she's no longer with Marie Claire, that seems unlikely. I did always like her insistence that women want to be able to wear bras with their clothes (even if the models often don't need them).

Looking around on Twitter has revealed that Zanna Roberts Rassi participated in season 4 of All Stars, as did Alyssa Milano, Isaac Mizrahi, and Georgina Chapman. Snooki served as a guest judge (I kid you not), proving that the bottom of the barrel is always deeper than anticipated.

As far as potential contestants go, I wonder if Project Runway: Under the Gunn participants were eligible. If so, perhaps Asha returned and was given the win the judges wanted to give her the first time around. I hope not!

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 2

Looking around on Twitter has revealed that Zanna Roberts Rassi participated in season 4 of All Stars, as did Alyssa Milano, Isaac Mizrahi, and Georgina Chapman. Snooki served as a guest judge (I kid you not), proving that the bottom of the barrel is always deeper than anticipated.

As far as potential contestants go, I wonder if Project Runway: Under the Gunn participants were eligible. If so, perhaps Asha returned and was given the win the judges wanted to give her the first time around. I hope not!

For the most recent season of all stars Snooki was a guest judge?  They would have been better off going with that Beatrice from the E-surance commercials, at least she is relevant.  I wonder why they don't try to get someone like RuPaul to guest judge, she is so wonderful on her own show, and even the less popular All Stars would give her more exposure.  Or even Santino, he is an asshole, but an entertaining one.  I just don't comprehend a world in which Snooki was the best choice ever for guest judge.

• Love 1

It seems like they're really scraping to find guest judges this season. This weeks actress was all right and had something to say (though I'd never heard of her). I don't see why they can't or won't simply repeat a few judges from previous seasons if they did a good job and knew what they were talking about. I'm not saying every judge every week but Diane Von Furstenburg was terrific. Sarah Jessica Parker knew what she was talking about--there actually were a bunch who were good but it's like they get one shot and then gone. And I agree about bringing back a previous contestant now and then; why not?

Snooki? Yikes...Who's next Kim Kardsahian?

• Love 1

S3's Laura Bennett was a great guest judge. I wish they'd bring her back. Her critiques were always very articulate and sound. She seemed to understand the eternal PR struggle between ideas vs. execution.

I also kinda liked Emmy Rossum when she was a guest judge, although I suppose that doesn't really answer the question of having more fashion bigwigs involved. My guess is they probably could get more reputable fashion people to guest judge, even despite the diminishing cache PR has, but I suspect it has more to do with Lifetime wanting to reach a "younger"/"hipper" audience with all the bloggers.

Edited by KFC
  • Love 3

hey, just joined, but been lurking and reading the discussions for awhile now, must say i enjoy it :) in terms of the guest judges, i do agree that they've been, uhh,  less than stellar these last few seasons. one of my favorite guest judge moments is a small moment, and it's during S4, the art interpretation episode. roberto cavalli was the guest judge and he praised chris march's outfit (the one that they said reminded them of his avant garde outfit with christian), and chris march was almost in tears because of it. i don't know why this always stood out to me for me to remember, maybe because i was rooting for chris march from day one. i still think he deserved fan favorite over christian. in fact, if i remember the reunion correctly, even christian thought chris had won it.

Edited by kaydub123
  • Love 3

hey, just joined, but been lurking and reading the discussions for awhile now, must say i enjoy it :) in terms of the guest judges, i do agree that they've been, uhh,  less than stellar. one of my favorite guest judge moments is a small moment, and it's during S4, the art interpretation episode. roberto cavalli  was the guest judge and he praised chris march's outfit (the one that they said reminded them of his avant garde outfit with christian), and chris march was almost in tears because of it. i don't know why this always stood out to me for me to remember, maybe because i was rooting for chris march from day one. i still think he deserved fan favorite over christian. in fact, if i remember the reunion correctly, even CHRISTIAN thought chris had won it.

I don't remember that moment, but it makes me sigh.  I think the designer responded so passionately to a successful respected designer being the guest judge, because it was someone who was so knowledgeable about their field, someone who excelled in their field and saw their designs from a different point of view than the average person based on that knowledge and expertise.  Now you have some actress who is cast on "hit of the moment" TV show talking about how they don't understand/like the "silhouette"  or whatever design related word they googled before coming on the show.

oh and - welcome and thanks for commenting!

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 2

so i'm not sure how to do the quote thingy yet, but thanks for the welcome RealityGal! definitely agree that it was an honest reaction because the feedback was from a hugely successful designer like roberto cavalli. the look on chris march's face during that sort of read like "omg is this real?! am i really being praised by roberto cavalli?!' you definitely said it best as to why chris had the reaction he did.

Edited by kaydub123
  • Love 2

I remember Kenley (S5) getting emotional at the thought of designing for Diane Von Faustenberg.  It was actually a nice, believable moment from a young designer in awe of one of the greats.

Regarding Diane's judging, though, I'm less impressed.  She rarely went beyond "I... like this dress." as a critique.  She lost me in S2 when she even said that about Zulema's butt-baring sweater dress.  Even without the butt-hanging out, it was an ugly dress, IMO.

I also blame her for her participation in crowning Daniel V. as the winner in the first All Star Event.  He had a poor collection except for the dress for the movie premiere for Nine(?) which wasn't too bad.  Diane's "Sometimes one dress is all it takes" helped cement his coronation.  Can you tell I'm still bitter about that?  :-)

I also blame her for her participation in crowning Daniel V. as the winner in the first All Star Event.  He had a poor collection except for the dress for the movie premiere for Nine(?) which wasn't too bad.  Diane's "Sometimes one dress is all it takes" helped cement his coronation.  Can you tell I'm still bitter about that?  :-)

Feel free to be as bitter as you like about Daniel V's one-shot All Star win. I was rooting for Korto and honestly felt she deserved the win. That woman is talented and interesting and she's been robbed, IMHO, three separate times on this show.

• Love 8

One of my favorite past season designers is Malan.  The sadness of his back-story really touched a chord with me.  I was really rooting for him and I just loved his designs.  I even bought a purse he designed back in 2007.  I got so many compliments on it!  He wrote me such a nice e-mail, thanking me for buying the purse.  I always love to see that he's still out there, working hard.  I also appreciated Laura's construction that season.

My mother & I live in separate states and we always watch PR together by synching the playback on our DVRs.  She's the kind of person that can look at anything and sew it.  It amazes me.  So when we watch, we really take a look at their design process and sewing techniques.  Her favorite personality was Chris March, but designer was Christian Siriano.  I just love that even though we're miles apart, we can watch the show together and chat on the phone and make comments.  It's like we're in the same room together :)

• Love 14

Kim Kardashian already was a guest judge on Season Nine, the stiltwalker challenge.

Oh dear god--no wonder I blocked that from my memory. Talk about a downward spiral...Von Furstenburg and Cavalli to Kardashian. Wrong for so many reasons.

• Love 5

One of my favorite past season designers is Malan.  The sadness of his back-story really touched a chord with me.  I was really rooting for him and I just loved his designs.  I even bought a purse he designed back in 2007.  I got so many compliments on it!  He wrote me such a nice e-mail, thanking me for buying the purse.  I always love to see that he's still out there, working hard.  I also appreciated Laura's construction that season.

My mother & I live in separate states and we always watch PR together by synching the playback on our DVRs.  She's the kind of person that can look at anything and sew it.  It amazes me.  So when we watch, we really take a look at their design process and sewing techniques.  Her favorite personality was Chris March, but designer was Christian Siriano.  I just love that even though we're miles apart, we can watch the show together and chat on the phone and make comments.  It's like we're in the same room together :)

aww milan! i adored him and his crazy laugh and his glorious accent. i felt so bad that he was eliminated so early, as i think he could've done so awesome at some of the later challenges, like the couture gown challenge. his backstory was sad, and his tears after he was eliminated, whispering "i'm so ashamed" pulled at my heart strings lol that's so sweet that he emailed you thanking you for purchasing the bag! i'm glad he's doing so well and has shown at fashion week more than once.

• Love 2

If they are going to insist on getting actresses to guest judge on PR, I don't know why they haven't had Chloe Sevigny on. Whether you love or hate her style, it's very distinctive and she's knowledgeable about fashion. As far as past contestants go, I think Mila would be a great guest judge. Her blog on the Lifetime website is very well written, and she also knows a lot about the industry. 

Switching gears, Dom recently showed her Spring/Summer 2015 collection in New York. It's called Elevated

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 1

I dunno. She came up with something that speaks to her sensibility that their customers will most likely buy. I think she's got a way better shot of doing her own thing if she's got a track record and a steady source of income. Dmitry played nice with Lord & Taylor and got a clothing line in Russia. Michelle somehow (koff) got the idea that all she had to do is tomp her little foot and insist on her vision and everyone would reward her for it and she's still the specialest snowflake in Portland and only recently left Etsy.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

This calls for the most fabulous PR post i've ever seen. It's still a thing of beauty. http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/08/pr-thirty-three-faces-of-gretchen.html

Read it after you watch the disaster group project episode.

That post by TLo and the runway judging component were epic. Gretchen totally meant to say

"Oh, Michael Costello. He sews like a blind monkey with 3 fingers on each hand."

even though she didn't use those exact words. 

I liked (Michael) Mychal Knight. Years later I still remember his coffee filter dress

Edited by discoprincess
  • Like 1

Was Laura Bennett the one who had several kids and was pregnant (for at least part of the show, maybe?) and had money (if she wasn't actually rich)? (I sort of recall someone complaining she was rich.) I liked her clothes. I only watched back then if I was visiting my parents or in-laws, who both got the channel the show was on.

• Love 4

Laura Bennett was fabulous. She had great style, a very cool husband (who has since passed away) and a great apartment full of her boys and "turtle poop". I love her evening style in particular, lots of beads and sparkly stuff and 20s/30's style. Not that I know anything about fashion. She would have wiped the floor with Helen.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Laura is one of my all time favorites, too.  I wish she could be part of this show in a big way.  She would be an excellent judge. 

Does anyone know where she is living now and what she is doing?  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Thanks.  I googled and went to every link and could not find pictures.  Her description of what she did is totally my taste and I wanted to see it.  I guess everything has been taken down.   I am dashed.  

Here you go:  http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pictures-historic-laros-estate-on-bethlehems-rooms-to-view-tour-20140605-photogallery.html

Although I have to say that all that white does not look like a house where 6 kids and dogs and presumably turtles live!

Edited by gibasi

Here you go:  http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pictures-historic-laros-estate-on-bethlehems-rooms-to-view-tour-20140605-photogallery.html

Although I have to say that all that white does not look like a house where 6 kids and dogs and presumably turtles live!

Thank you!  This is very formal and "decorated" which isn't my taste at all but I appreciate that it is so Laura.  I think this is only part of the house and there is much more that is conducive to daily living with 6 kids.  It looks like a museum. 

Laura Bennett was fabulous. She had great style, a very cool husband (who has since passed away) and a great apartment full of her boys and "turtle poop".

I am very sorry to hear that Laura's husband has passed away; he was indeed a very cool dude.  A cool dude who was apparently born and raised in my hometown, among the Bethlehem Steel high muckety-mucks--I did not know this!  And now Laura is living in the family estate, a mere 2 miles from my boyfriend's house.  It is indeed a small world.  I too would love to see her come back to PR in some fashion.  And folks, I'm here to tell you that Bethlehem is most certainly not in the hinterlands of Pennsylvania--the Lehigh Valley has become somewhat of a bedroom community for commuters to NYC, so a day job as a mentor on one season or another would not be out of the question... :)

Add me to the chorus of Laura lovers (it helps that we are from the same hometown of Metairie, LA, which shares a border with New Orleans).  The first season I watched in real time was Season 3, and I absolutely fell in love with the show.  At that time, PR was the Cadillac of reality shows.  

• Love 3

Michael Costello (one of my most favorite designers ever on this show) dressed Nikki Minaje (sp) for the AMAs on Sunday. He continues to get serious clients and seems to be doing well.

I wasn't quite sure about the dress, but it tickled me just a little to hear that he was the designer and that it was receiving positive feedback in the scenario where I heard it. Always thought success was the best kind of revenge for him.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, whimsey98 said:

Oh, thank you for that....Christian Siriano proves it can be done with style in all sizes.  Good for him.  Those of us who struggle with the ups and downs of weight get pretty tired of being told we're not trying hard enough....at least Siriano is celebrating the woman that is rather than a make believe ideal.  Good for him.  I don't think Ashley is without talent...but I thought from the beginning she needed more experience and training to add some depth to her collections.  And Siriano shows how to do it.  Applause.  :)

Even in his couture/bridal collections he's dressed a range of body types, including women clearly "plus." I remember one bride in particular who simply glowed in a (non-frumpy, plus-sized) gown that he designed.

He's proven he can - and will - design stylish fashion for different body types and, now, different budgets.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Oh, thank you for that....Christian Siriano proves it can be done with style in all sizes.  Good for him.  Those of us who struggle with the ups and downs of weight get pretty tired of being told we're not trying hard enough....at least Siriano is celebrating the woman that is rather than a make believe ideal.  Good for him.  I don't think Ashley is without talent...but I thought from the beginning she needed more experience and training to add some depth to her collections.  And Siriano shows how to do it.  Applause.  :)

CS strikes me as business smart, and its just a smart move to design for the plus size market.  There is considerably less competition even though there are more consumers.  Consumers with money, who want to look cute too.  I thought Ashley had one cute outfit....the one with the moto vest and the skirt -- either that or the model was really pretty.  But the rest of it was unfortunate.  CS's collection just looks pretty......I'm not plus size, but two of those dresses are something I want to wear this very minute.

I wonder what the price point will be for the CS collection......Ashley's collection has a pretty low price point IIRC.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, RCharter said:

CS strikes me as business smart, and its just a smart move to design for the plus size market.  

Absolutely. Just like his collection with Payless, it wasn't necessarily a sexy company to pair with but people shop there. It's a business move and keeps your name on people's tongues.  He's made a good looking collection for LB and I imagine that people will buy it.

Edited by Indy
  • Love 6
(edited)

I just ordered his yellow & white striped crop top from LB online, as it's available in my size 10/12.  Looks adorable and I had a good discount code.  Wheeee!  I'm excited about having a Christian Siriano in my closet!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Indy said:

Absolutely. Just like his collection with Payless, it wasn't necessarily a sexy company to pair with but people shop there. It's a business move and keeps your name on people's tongues.  He's made a good looking collection for LB and I imagine that people will buy it.

I like his attitude, as compared with those contestants who disparage, for instance, people who design for or shop at, say, Kohl's.

• Love 5

Christian is basically the Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood of PR.  The most successful, most relatable and very respected for their talent, work ethic and attitude.  He was so awesome on PR Junior and one of the few contestants ever that I would personally want to hang out with.  For a night out, we'd definitely hook up with Dmitry, Fabio, Rami and Santino.  *LOL*

• Love 4
7 hours ago, leighdear said:

Christian is basically the Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood of PR.  The most successful, most relatable and very respected for their talent, work ethic and attitude.  He was so awesome on PR Junior and one of the few contestants ever that I would personally want to hang out with.  For a night out, we'd definitely hook up with Dmitry, Fabio, Rami and Santino.  *LOL*

and Jennifer Hudson!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, leighdear said:

^^^ Ooof, I can't believe I forgot an actual Academy Award winner!  LOVE Jhud!

ha ha, sometimes when they get so successful I forget that they came from American Idol!

One day I may forget that CS came from Project Runway.  And Michael Costello at this point, I just was flipping through an US Weekly and saw that Ariana Grande was wearing an original Michael Costello gown......I couldn't have been happier even though I don't like her, I know she is a pretty big deal and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Love 6