Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

Though they say it was mutual, don't they always, I suspect Whitney pulled the plug. 

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Otherwise I think she would've at least hung around for the rest of DWTS.

• Love 1

Broke up?  Only a couple weeks after the DWTS gig was up?  Huh?  How lucky was THAT timing? *eyeroll*

That was the first thing I noticed, that they waited until after the DTWS finale! How conveeeenient...

Oh Whitney. This is what happens when you go in for the win without really looking at the prize. I felt worried for Whitney through that whole season. Remember their first date, when Chris said he liked a woman who could talk to anyone? Whitney perks, "That's me! I can talk to anyone! See that wedding down there? Let's crash It ! I'll show you how I can do that!" Every moment together was a job interview. She was exhausting, but I also felt sorry for her. It was just wrong to see a girl as pretty as Whitney, knocking herself out to compete for Farmer Blockhead. I would have liked Whitney as the Bachelorette.

• Love 9

Broke up?  Only a couple weeks after the DWTS gig was up?  Huh?  How lucky was THAT timing? *eyeroll*

Huddle with TPTB.  Let's say she had to go to the memorial for her mother who died decades ago.  Yeah, that's it.  And we will toss in checking  with her job, too.  That will explain a longer absence.  She went to the Kentucky Derby, hmmmmm, didn't see that coming.  Well, she was right there so it makes sense. 

They split the day before she left.  Didn't fool me!  

• Love 1

Oh Whitney. This is what happens when you go in for the win without really looking at the prize. I felt worried for Whitney through that whole season. Remember their first date, when Chris said he liked a woman who could talk to anyone? Whitney perks, "That's me! I can talk to anyone! See that wedding down there? Let's crash It ! I'll show you how I can do that!" Every moment together was a job interview. She was exhausting, but I also felt sorry for her. It was just wrong to see a girl as pretty as Whitney, knocking herself out to compete for Farmer Blockhead. I would have liked Whitney as the Bachelorette.

I got that feeling too.  I saw her as too perky and trying too hard to win.  I think she realized that her role in their marriage would be just that.  Leading him everywhere and prying thoughts and feelings out of his head.  He is a man of few words and cannot even string those together well!.  

• Love 5

I was one of the people rooting for him to pick Becca, even though who knows if that would have crumbled too. I never thought Chris and Whitney were well-matched, but I know a lot of folks on the innerwebs were rooting for them to make it. I think Whitney's the sort of girl families would love to have their son bring home - cheerful, nurturing, and with a career of her own. That doesn't mean that she was the best pick for him personally. 

I remember thinking that Trista and Ryan wouldn't last, because their personalities seemed mismatched too. But they've proven me wrong and seem very happy together. 

• Love 1
(edited)

From the US Weekly post: "Soules told Us Weekly at the May 4 broadcast of DWTS. "We're making the best of a really cool situation that we're both a part of that's not going to last much longer..."

I guess he knew then the engagement was "not going to last much longer." We just all thought he meant DWTS!

When did Chris get this "dream" of "becoming a tv host"? If he had told those b-ettes in private that he was really planning on moving to LA after TB and wasn't going back to Arlington, really, maybe the show would have ended differently.

But then again, Soules is no prize IMO, in Iowa or in California. At least now, if any woman IS interested in him, they can see his resume via DVD. I'd pass.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
(edited)

From the US Weekly post: "Soules told Us Weekly at the May 4 broadcast of DWTS. "We're making the best of a really cool situation that we're both a part of that's not going to last much longer..."

I guess he knew then the engagement was "not going to last much longer." We just all thought he meant DWTS!

When did Chris get this "dream" of "becoming a tv host"? If he had told those b-ettes in private that he was really planning on moving to LA after TB and wasn't going back to Arlington, really, maybe the show would have ended differently.

But then again, Soules is no prize IMO, in Iowa or in California. At least now, if any woman IS interested in him, they can see his resume via DVD. I'd pass.

I think he did mean DWTS.  No way would he elude to breaking up.  The timing of the announcement was calculated.  They split before the announcement, clearly.  And I don't believe the rest of it.  No way is he host material and he knows it.  He loves his farm and says so frequently.  

Edited by wings707
Oh Whitney. This is what happens when you go in for the win without really looking at the prize. I felt worried for Whitney through that whole season. Remember their first date, when Chris said he liked a woman who could talk to anyone? Whitney perks, "That's me! I can talk to anyone! See that wedding down there? Let's crash It ! I'll show you how I can do that!" Every moment together was a job interview. She was exhausting, but I also felt sorry for her.

I think Whitney went a little insane, frankly. She seemed really desperate, in so far as her thought process regarding the move to Arlington was nothing more than: "Did I ever circle Arlington on a map and say that's where I want to be? No, but ..." then she would go on to rationalize this lame reasoning by saying that life doesn't always turn out as we planned. Well, duh, no, but you do have some choice in the matter Whitney.  

Obviously from some of the comments Chris made Whitney's geographical proximity (chicago being close to IA) gave her an advantage, and I think Whitney got excited about Chris having a sister in Winnetka and Chris being familiar with the city made it seem kind of like fate. If you don't know Winnetka it is super ritzy, treelined, movie set gorgeous town with old homes on the lake north of Chicago. Very aspirational.  I think Whitney imagined some kind of life there with her and Chris with the farm kind of like a weekend home, honestly.  

This kind of reminds me of Travis Stork's choice of the girl around the corner who he was obviously not that into either.  So beware the uninspired geographically convenient Bachelor match!

• Love 5
(edited)

I think he did mean DWTS.  No way would he elude to breaking up.

Sarcasm doesn't always come across well in writing. *sarcasm*

No way is he host material and he knows it.  He loves his farm and says so frequently.

More sarcasm. That's why this old saw exists: "Actions speak louder than words."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sarcasm doesn't always come across well in writing. *sarcasm*

More sarcasm. That's why this old saw exists: "Actions speak louder than words."

ha ha ha!  I usually pick up on that.  I am packing to move 2226 miles away and taking frequent and not deserved breaks for computer time.  I have not been gathering my mind scraps before I sit down to read.   That is my story.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
(edited)

This kind of reminds me of Travis Stork's choice of the girl around the corner who he was obviously not that into either.  So beware the uninspired geographically convenient Bachelor match!

I'll throw Emily into this too, she was obviously more into Arie, but chose the more logical choice Jef. At least when Jason Mesnick chose wrong, he realized it fast and reverted it.

They should have a new twist of The Bachelor/ette where it's like American Idol. The viewers should get to vote on who's left and should be picked. lol

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2
(edited)

I am packing to move 2226 miles away

Sounds like the Arlington, Iowa, population is increasing by one! (Safe travels, Wings.)

They should have a new twist of The Bachelor/ette where it's like American Idol. The viewers should get to vote on who's left and should be picked. lol

Oh, I'd be all about that! Of course, then we'd have to see the show live. Ugh to that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)

Sounds like the Arlington, Iowa, population is increasing by one! (Safe travels, Wings.)

Very funny.  See?  I got it. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

Not surprised.  I always said, had Becca agreed to move he would have chosen her.  

I agree.  Truth be told, Chris didn't seem all that into Whitney.  I believe she won by process of elimination.  But for their spectacular implosions, the final two would have been Britt and Jade.

• Love 1

I'm happy for Whitney. While I don't think Chris is horrible, she deserved better (and so does Becca, so I hope she's run far and wide from the bachelor universe). I'm going to give Whitney the benefit of the doubt and think she got caught up in the show and all it's competitive weirdness. She seems like a nice, attractive person with a great career who has to be able to find her match off of reality TV.

• Love 2

Does anyone notice the breakups always happen in conjuction with the new season? They will throw in an interview with Chris and/or Whitney during this season like they seem to every season.

Does anyone notice the breakups always happen in conjuction with the new season? They will throw in an interview with Chris and/or Whitney during this season like they seem to every season.

It works out well that way so the show has the opportunity to have a past Bachelor(ette) on, but it's also just a matter of the show's calendar and the short expiration dates of most of these relationships: the next season airs just a few months after the previous ends and some of these couples (Chris/Whitney, Josh/Andi) don't last more than that interval.

Though they say it was mutual, don't they always, I suspect Whitney pulled the plug. 

Yep.   I'm thinking Whitney decided to ride a horse and dump a FarmBoi, and didn't think his tractor was sexy.   Or smexy.

Why ever would she leave what sounds like a dream job in a highly lucrative field?   I'm pretty sure Chicago has an eligible bachelor or 10 who would work for her.   Good for you Whitney, you deserve a better man. 

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure Chicago has an eligible bachelor or 10 who would work for her.   Good for you Whitney, you deserve a better man.

Yeah, she's an attractive person and appears to have a great personality, and I do think she deserves to be happy.  I have a feeling (and I can be way off based on editing and so on) that she would have more luck finding a man if she'd keep her eagerness to be married under wraps just a tad.  I mean, there's nothing wrong with being honest and letting it be known that she wants to be married, but she almost has an air of urgency that would likely scare many away.

• Love 2

Yep.   I'm thinking Whitney decided to ride a horse and dump a FarmBoi, and didn't think his tractor was sexy.  

Word on the street is that Prince Farming did the dumping.  From what I read, Whitney didn't see it coming and is heart broken. 

As far as the timing of this break-up goes, I find that 3 months is usually the turning point in most new relationships, so I don't find the timing suspect, But the announcement I'm sure was timed not to overshadow DWTS and the new Bachette season. 

ITA with posters who said Whitney was just trying too damn hard. I could get out of breath watching her scramble. Chris frankly couldn't get a word in edgewise with her so I don't think he is as empty-headed as he may have appeared with her.  He sure had plenty to say to Becca. The fact she was less talkative and wasn't constantly selling made her more attractive I'm sure. 

Whitney's huge deep sigh of relief at the proposal screamed "Mission Accomplished!!" My gf and I said that at the same time when she did it.  It spoke volumes.

I'm hoping Chris has not gone Hollywood. I can't blame him for taking another "15 minutes" to be on DWTS but as far as becoming an announcer  ? Don't know anything on that but what I saw here but hey maybe he'll do the farm report?  Hope he goes home and calls Becca. 

And suggestions that Chris wasn't into marrying anyone anyway doesn't hold up for me.  If that were true he would have chose Becca who wasn't 'ready' for a huge comittment.

Oh and for heaven sake Whitney please ...Brush Your Hair!! (don't know if it's all yours and don't care... Brush It !!!!)

Word on the street is that Prince Farming did the dumping.  From what I read, Whitney didn't see it coming and is heart broken. 

This makes sense.  I think he developed a crush on Witney (dancer) and experienced a lot of excitement being around her in the process.  I don't think they had an affair nor do I think they will date.  He just realized that he never had those feelings with Whitney.  We saw that he didn't.  He wanted Becca.  He just followed the format and expectation that you propose.  

This might be the most expected breakup ever from this show for me. Chris never seemed to have romantic feelings towards Whitney, she was just convenient and everyone kept pushing her on him. Oh well, at least he got to go on DWTS. I think it's the only reason he proposed.

• Love 2
This might be the most expected breakup ever from this show for me. Chris never seemed to have romantic feelings towards Whitney, she was just convenient and everyone kept pushing her on him. Oh well, at least he got to go on DWTS. I think it's the only reason he proposed.

I never saw romantic feelings from Chris toward anyone, ever, on this show. Maybe he's just a more reserved Midwestern farm boy in that respect. But he just didn't show any "heat" toward anyone IMO, even dancer Witney OR Becca. He was just boring and sort of a cold fish from what I could see. Not that he isn't above catting around now that he's free again.

I wonder what his mom says about "another broken heart" for Chris, especially if this breakup was his idea, not Whitney's. Chris's parents seemed really nice and genuine, and Whitney was a nice fit with them if not with their son. Who now has gone all Hollywood on them. Oh my!

• Love 3

I think Chris had romantic feelings for Jade, Becca and Britt before he realized she was a total flake. I don't think he saw Kaitlyn as anything other than fun and an easy lay. Whitney was the most logical choice for him. She was the most desperate and willing to fill the void he claims he was looking for. Obviously he eliminated Jade because of the photos and Becca was too wishy-washy. Whitney won by default.

• Love 3

I think Chris had romantic feelings for Jade, Becca and Britt before he realized she was a total flake. I don't think he saw Kaitlyn as anything other than fun and an easy lay. Whitney won by default.

Whitney is what Chris wanted.  Britt is who Chris wanted. 

• Love 1
(edited)

In case some don't know about this. 

OT:  UnReal premieres tonight at 10pm on lifetime. 

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unreal

It's creator is a woman who was a producer on the Bachelor for a number of years and hated it.  I guess this is her revenge.  It differs from the Bach enough to avoid trouble.  But they will be pissed for sure!  

Here is the thread.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/27190-s01e01-return/#entry1200983

Edited by wings707

Obviously from some of the comments Chris made Whitney's geographical proximity (chicago being close to IA) gave her an advantage, and I think So beware the uninspired geographically convenient Bachelor match!

Andi and Josh, too, right?  I wonder if geographical proximity makes people believe it was meant to be, that they had to go all this way just to find someone right around the corner, great story for the grandkids. There has to be something that makes them think it will work..

Hope he goes home and calls Becca.

And why would Becca subject herself to the ridicule and tabloid nightmare that dating this idiot now would produce?  She's obviously moved on, is on friendly, supportive terms with Whitney and hopefully has more class and intelligence than that...

• Love 4

It's my opinion that his 15 minutes in Hollywood is what Chris REALLY wanted. And still does.

Agreed. I said that to a friend of mine who lives in Iowa and she thought I was insulting Iowa. It's no insult to Iowa that Chris (or anyone) might want to try a change of pace for a while.

• Love 1

Andi and Josh, too, right?  I wonder if geographical proximity makes people believe it was meant to be, that they had to go all this way just to find someone right around the corner, great story for the grandkids. There has to be something that makes them think it will work..

I think that if he really wanted to avoid marriage, he would have chosen someone far away so it would be easy to claim distance problems.  Apparently Whitney visited him a few times on the farm during hiding time before the show's finale (and she said they got along fine while he implied there were some conflicts).

I saw right through him already during Andi's season. He was after that Bachelor gig all along while attacking Nick for having ulterior motives. What a clown. Sorry Chris, but you're not fooling anyone anymore. Even your fans know you're nothing but a desperate famewhore.

• Love 4

I never saw romantic feelings from Chris toward anyone, ever, on this show. Maybe he's just a more reserved Midwestern farm boy in that respect. But he just didn't show any "heat" toward anyone IMO, even dancer Witney OR Becca. He was just boring and sort of a cold fish from what I could see. Not that he isn't above catting around now that he's free again.

I saw it this way, too. But I also saw Chris as very self-centered underneath the quiet, almost shy/awkward exterior. He wasn't the kind of guy I could ever see finishing someone else's sentences (although I definitely believe Whitney could finish his. His vocabulary was so small when he spoke, really, how hard would it be to guess at what was coming next?) I don't think he cared much about anyone, including Becca. She might have intrigued him sexually, same for Jade and Britt, but I think they all would have ended the same way Whitney's did, with a "friendly parting" after the show.

Chriis Harrison said something interesting last week. When he was asked, "Didn't the breakup seem sudden?" he said, "To you guys. But theygot together last November so in real time it's been a while." (or somesuch)

I take this to mean they really weren't together for much, if any, of DWTS but did it for show. I suspect that Whitney not sticking with it the two more weeks until he got booted was because she was fed up with his lack of attentiveness or some other issue with Chris (maybe realizing he never really was feeling it at all anyway.)

I see she's not going on BiP, but I'm surprised he isn't. Maybe there'll still be time if Worst Cooks doesn't tape that soon.

• Love 2

Thanks for that link, Slowpoked. Sounds like the "celebrities" on this show are of the same caliber as most on DWTS. Their agents must be kept busy working hard to keep these people in the limelight, even if the limelight is pretty dim. I'm just ASSUMING Soules has an agent now. 

I don't think he cared much about anyone, including Becca. She might have intrigued him sexually, same for Jade and Britt, but I think they all would have ended the same way Whitney's did, with a "friendly parting" after the show.

So much WORD to this, Padma. Chris wasn't looking to bring anyone back to that farm, including himself it seems.

• Love 1

Of course Chris wanted the fame! I don't understand why people still act shocked and surprised when a former lead reveals him or herself to be a famewhore. I mean, Meredith, Brad, Ashley and Des are basically the exceptions to the rule. Chris was a phony and obviously wanted to be The Bachelor. Every single time a "fan favorite" gets the call most of the public turns on them by the end when they show their true intentions and personality which is basically what happened with Ali, Jake, Emily, etc, etc. 

I don't understand why people still act shocked and surprised when a former lead reveals him or herself to be a famewhore.

So true. I just don't understand why people keep insisting Chris really wanted Becca and "settled" for Whitney. This show quit being about finding a spouse a long time ago, if it ever was about that. 

• Love 1

Yep, guess what his next TV gig is?!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/10/chris-soules-food-network-bachelor

I guess it's not harvest time yet back at the farm?

he must have hired a publicist whose main job is convincing people that Chris has a charming personality - because I don't see the appeal, at all.  He's dull, doesn't seem smart, or funny, or to have much of a personality at all.  Most of the time, on Celebrity cooking shows, the celebs end up looking pretty bad. 

Chriis Harrison said something interesting last week. When he was asked, "Didn't the breakup seem sudden?" he said, "To you guys. But theygot together last November so in real time it's been a while." (or somesuch)

.I swear, Jimmy Kimmel knew something when he said the point of the bachelor/ette shows were to "choose the person you are contractually obligated to  pretend to be engaged to for the next 6 months"  (not a direct quote, but that was the idea)  It seems like couples drift away from each other, but have to keep up the facade of being a couple  until a certain date.  

• Love 1

I wonder if there is a contract so the couple has to appear as a couple for a certain period of time. If I were Whitney, I would have stayed "engaged" so I could live a few weeks in LA on DWTS's dime (presumably the show puts contestants up) and been on tv a bit more plus met all of the other people on that show. Who knows, maybe it could have led to 15 more Andy Warhol minutes for ME!

Wow, Kaitlyn has the duck lips set to 10 in that photo.

Seriously. Whitney has a lovely smile, Becca is beaming, and Kaitlyn is trying to out Kylie-Jenner Kylie Jenner, like she's a silly teenager. 

• Love 2