Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

Thanks for bringing that here, Archer.  I was almost feeling some sympathy for her until that last paragraph.  Then she Kelsied, and ruined the moment. 

I wonder if she's headed back to France and her book writing?  I'm sure the entire country is anticipating her return.  

Here's the interview, although I've done a lot of paraphrasing:

Kelsey Poe — one of two widows on The Bachelor — has been one of the most controversial contestants of Chris Soules's season, and she took some major heat during Monday's "Women Tell All" episode. She's been accused of being condescending toward the other women, some of who think she used her husband's death to her advantage, even faking a panic attack to get attention. I spoke with Kelsey the night of the "Women Tell All" airing, and she opened up about how you have to take the gossip with a "grain of salt," what she found "annoying" about herself watching the show, and what about Chris she "couldn't gel with." Get the interview below.

Paraphrasing:

How do you feel about "Women Tell All"?

Lot's of people were going to watch the show!  I'm relieved it's over...I got to talk some more, but I was still nervous.

Did watching the show change how you felt about the other women?

Ignore the confrontation I had with what's her name in the end...they were always nice to me face to face.  I thought we were developing healthy relationships, but can't be mad at them because I can only view things from my own point of view.

Was it hard to watch?

Yeah, I think none of us realized how much trash talking was going on behind our backs.  Take it with a grain of salt, and maybe we can forgive each other.

Do you think it's possible to make friends with people who are sharing a boyfriend?

Yes.  At first we're all nice because we're all in this new envrironment, feeling raw and scared, so we cling to each other.  Over time, not so much.  We start to get possesive over Chris and feel insecure, and the ones who are the most insecure get really bitchy.

Being so isolated during filming, how did you stay sane and true to yourself?

I must stay grounded...husband died...felt untethered from the world...would get lost in my mind...developed strategies to protect myself...I'm a spiritual person...daily devotionals, read Bible, journaled...focused on personal growth...Came on show to grow and learn, but leave if it wasn't happening, time is valuable.

Was there anything about yourself that you found annoying when you watched the show?

My laugh...I need to go to voice training lessons because I'm self conscious about it now.

What was it like returning home from the show?

I was broken, it was difficult for all the girls, but for me I needed time to heal.  I'm still healing, things didn't end like I thought they would...I feel like it was someone else on TV.  Shocking...devastating.

Was there anything that you learned from this experience that will change your relationships moving forward?

I've learned more about the type of man I want to be with...it's not Chris.

Like what?

He's not articulate.  Jimmy Kimmel made fun of him, did you see that?  I'm a very intellectual person, I need someone who can spew out the word salad like I can, while we both pretend we're really smart.

• Love 4

I mean, it's pretty obvious Kelsey is a very smart and articulate woman so her saying Chris is a moron isn't a stretch since he's shown this season he can barely string a sentence together. But yeah, this is more about covering her ass.

Here's the interview, although I've done a lot of paraphrasing:

SNIP..

Like what?

He's not articulate.  Jimmy Kimmel made fun of him, did you see that?  I'm a very intellectual person, I need someone who can spew out the word salad like I can, while we both pretend we're really smart.

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I still think there's something odd about Kelsey, but I can't disagree that she seems intelligent. I like that she prides herself on it, too, even though she comes across as affected. I can't disagree with her about Chris either. The most surprising thing is how, even after watching the show, most of the women show up at TWTA and still want him. As Chris would say (still, even after being mocked by Jimmy Kimmel, "It's amazing.")

• Love 1

I see Kelsey as educated, but not particularly intelligent.  Her speech has been very calculated to me, with the use of deliberately rehearsed phrases and specific conversational tactics.  I saw her as weighing and measuring everything that came out of her mouth, with no spontaneity or natural flow.   That could be some editing, but I think she uses it to appear "More" than other people.  

• Love 9

Most anti-climatic announcement ever. I still don't understand why it was kept a "mystery".

Yeah, it's not like they're announcing the "winner" as one of the dancers and have to keep her name a secret until after the finale. We all know who Chris is. 

• Love 1

I guess even Chris isn't in any hurry to get back to Arlington.

I wouldn't be either. It's -20 there today. And what, maybe 70-80 degrees in LA? Even Chris's brain can figure that one out.

(edited)

If this has appeared already, my apologies.

Chris Harrison writes a "romance novel".

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Chris-Harrison-Writes-Book-Perfect-Letter-36996448

Harrison's efforts (and his insistence that Nicholas Sparks is the "Godfather of romance authors") are offensive to anyone who actually works in the industry for a variety of reasons. It's the equivalent of my strolling into ABC and doing his job with no experience or training. If Harrison thinks he's releasing "a book a year", he's already late according to hardback publishing schedules.

What a tool.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 2
(edited)

More spin from Kelsey. Turns out that Chris wasn't intellectual enough for her anyway. Which doesn't surprise me, but she sure did seem invested in staying in the game.

I think that's valid, and the most honest and least fake she's been.   Face it, all these ladies are gunning for the chance to be the next B ette.    Chris isn't intellectual enough to argue with a stump. 

I wonder if Chris H.  will write about "heaving bosoms", and "throbbing manhood".   I bet the publishers could get Fabio to sit for the cover of the book really cheap, too. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 2
Here the link to the official ABC press release for next week's finale.

Three hours?! The hell? I haven't watched TB in a few seasons, but is this a new thing, a 3-hour finale? Even two hours is painful. And it's kind of funny that Chris H. has admitted that there won't be a fairytale ending, so I'm not sure how this can be one of "the most romantic…nights ever on ABC."

• Love 1

These are the times I'm thankful for DVR. I end up a little 'behind' on the show but at least I can skip through the 80% of it that's just repetitive. And I'm thankful for the board chatter here because I know when it's worth going back and re-watching stuff I might've skipped.

• Love 3

But Missy, you can't blame Chris H. for jumping on the "I'm an author" bandwagon with Sean Lowe! They can do book tours together.

Let's just say I am extremely skeptical that Lowe wrote the manuscript himself. One could also say that Harrison's editor(s) were most likely also a bit more involved with the manuscript than he was.

MEOW.

I wonder if Chris H.  will write about "heaving bosoms", and "throbbing manhood".   I bet the publishers could get Fabio to sit for the cover of the book really cheap, too. 

If Chris H. wrote about "heaving bosoms" or "throbbing manhood", he's about 30 years out of date re: romance novels. They actually have plot, character development and a lack of purple prose these days. They're also written by women who have degrees from Harvard, for instance. I'm sure he's already discovered writing a romance novel is not as easy as he believed it was.

Fabio hasn't appeared on the cover of a romance novel in at least 20 years. The cover of Harrison's novel is a soft-focus photo of a female.

I can't imagine that Chris H. wrote any of his romance novel on his own. His name is the marketable brand, not his writing, and it wouldn't be worth his time to actually write it no matter how well he could write. I could see him coming up with characters and plots, and reading drafts of the manuscript as it progressed. i read that the audience members of WTA all left the taping with a copy of it so that's nice for them.

Reading between the lines of blogs and interviews (CH's defense of Britt, saying we won't see a storybook romance at the finale, etc.), I wonder if Chris H. likes Chris S. much any more. Looking forward to ATFR!

Let's just say I am extremely skeptical that Lowe wrote the manuscript himself. One could also say that Harrison's editor(s) were most likely also a bit more involved with the manuscript than he was.

MEOW.

If Chris H. wrote about "heaving bosoms" or "throbbing manhood", he's about 30 years out of date re: romance novels. They actually have plot, character development and a lack of purple prose these days. They're also written by women who have degrees from Harvard, for instance. I'm sure he's already discovered writing a romance novel is not as easy as he believed it was.

Fabio hasn't appeared on the cover of a romance novel in at least 20 years. The cover of Harrison's novel is a soft-focus photo of a female.

Oh.    Huh.   That's amazing about these romance writing Harvard geniuses.   I'd still rather read Chris H write about heaving bosoms and throbbing manhood, with Fabio on the cover.   The other kind sounds rather pretentious and dry. 

• Love 1

Wonder if Chris's book is like a Harlequin Romance? Do they still make those? LOL, I read a few of those in high school (I had what they called my "old maid Aunt" who would pass on her books to me, I preferred her Judith Krantz books better).

• Love 1

I would hate CH as the Bachelor.  Unless they cast women close to his age.  CH and 20 somethings would be icky to watch.    I also have no interest in CH's book but romance isn't my genre.

I don't really think he "loved" Becca either, but was pretty infatuated with her. Though I thought the same thing about Jade too. And Britt. But boy, after seeing the GMA clip, I think both he and Whitney are already over or will be soon. He could barely come up with a response to the things he "loved" about her and they didn't touch at all. She could do so much better than Chris, and I hope she has ended it already or moves on soon. Break free, Whitney!

• Love 2

I don't know. To play devil's advocate, sure, they weren't showing overt affection in the GMA piece, but how many times have we seen that only to have the couple break up shortly thereafter. (Andi and Josh anyone?) I thought they made eye contact with each other. They both were definitely leaning into each other throughout the interview which you wouldn't do if you felt distant. He talked about how "we" will be moving to L.A. due to DWTS.

I'm not saying I hear wedding bells for them (I assume they'll eventually break up like nearly every other couple), only the lack of overt PDA is less meaningful given the other cues they're giving out. Plus, fawning couples in the public eye almost always make me think they're trying to prove that their relationship is wonderful. Here they seem to be acting like any normal couple. Obviously, YMMV.

• Love 4

TVGuide with Chris Harrison about last night's eps and the Bachelorettes.

I'm shocked!!! to hear that the show created a misleading edit. Shocked, I tell you!

TVGuide: Chris seemed to be conflicted down to the final moment. Were you nervous about his choice?
Harrison: I was pretty positive he was going to choose Whitney. I honestly saw him choosing Whitney in Bali. We didn't really show much, but his breakdown in Bali was over Becca and Kaitlyn, and it had nothing to do with Whitney. She was always safe and the front-runner from that week on. I think he did a very good job of keeping his mind and heart open to the possibility of Becca, but he was more intrigued than anything. Becca shows you one thing, but can't articulate it, and it's frustrating for a man coming off a date with Whitney who is so in touch with her emotions and knows exactly where she is and where she wants to go.

• Love 2

I'm shocked!!! to hear that the show created a misleading edit. Shocked, I tell you!

I know, right? In a season full of yawning boredom and an inarticulate lead lacking in charisma, they had to manufacture SOMETHING to get people to watch. And talk later, like here!

I was just coming here to post the GMA interview. YIKES. 0 contact of any sort. No touching, no looking at each other. Again Whitney looked at him but he didn't even bother. Damn!

The only thing I find weird is he didn't look at her once when he was describing all the things he loved about her.

Edited by ElectricCityy

The only thing I find weird is he didn't look at her once when he was describing all the things he loved about her.

Yes. It looked to me like he was just trying to think of a good answer to the question, verbally. Not actually speaking about Whitney herself, whom he never seems interested in looking at or needing to reach out physically either (the absence of both of these, imo, is not a good sign). If Whitney's sister hates him from watching the show, now that she can see how he is afterwards (as Whitney's probably reassured her would make a difference), I'm sure she -really- hates him. (Hence, no trouble-making question from CH who seems determined in his blog to push it as a "foregone conclusion, fairytale romance". (He thinks we're stupid, right?)

He must think we're stupid, since just last week he was saying that we can't really see a fairytale romance this season and neither of the final two were a perfect choice for Chris. He seems to be suffering from early dementia.

This bit from the TV Guide interview is absolutely mind-bogglingly condescending. So the audience didn't really want Kaitlyn, they just cheered because they thought they should? What a load of bull! Just shows how desperate the producers were for Britt. They'll spin anything in her favour.

Did you hear people boo for Britt?
Harrison: I totally did. This is what's funny. Obviously people saw spoilers that Kaitlyn was the Bachelorette, so their thinking was that I'm setting them up to cheer for Kaitlyn. But everybody was wrong. When we say we hadn't made a decision even though we had talked to them, we really hadn't. So because everybody assumed it was Kaitlyn, they cheered a little more knowing she was backstage. I think the fake spoilers set up that moment. But I definitely heard a couple of boos and I loved it. I was laughing.

• Love 1

I saw them on E!Online too and it was the same thing. I'm not saying they have to be over the top affectionate but there is zip in those interactions. He can't even look at her. That to me is super weird.

• Love 2

Yes, they appear rather clinical in their interactions.  And I know you can interpret body language in many ways, but watching the finale it was like he was so smitten and had that "fallen" look when with Becca--especially in the last few interactions.  And then with Whitney he just stares at her and watches her talk to him.  Someone had said maybe she talks so much because he doesn't say anything, and they really could be right.  Maybe she does that anyway, but it doesn't help when someone just looks at you oddly.  That said, I am not sure why she came away from this thinking she knows him so well as it is clear he hardly spoke to her--she did most of the talking.  

They definitely look like friends that ran the Amazing Race together or something like that versus a couple getting married.  

• Love 2
They definitely look like friends that ran the Amazing Race together or something like that versus a couple getting married.

Exactly. Even when Chris was describing why he picked Whitney, the reasons boil down to the fact that he THINKS she would make a great life partner for him. And don't get me wrong, that's super important in building a family together but let's be real, both of them are not at that stage in their relationship yet. So, if the "honeymoon" phase is already so clinical, what's next? It seems Whitney was the one Chris connected in the early parts of the show but perhaps she really did peaked early.

Chris doesn't look at Whitney like how he looked at Becca and Jade (with affection). I don't really put that much stock in interpretation physical affection because it's different for everyone, but the eyes really tell a story, imho.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

Chris doesn't look at Whitney like how he looked at Becca and Jade (with affection). I don't really put that much stock in interpretation physical affection because it's different for everyone, but the eyes really tell a story, imho.

I definitely saw that from him towards Jade at WTA. Makes me think he would've taken her all the way had it not been for the hometown date.

I saw them on E!Online too and it was the same thing. I'm not saying they have to be over the top affectionate but there is zip in those interactions. He can't even look at her. That to me is super weird.

I felt bad for Whitney because she looks to him waiting for him to look back at her and he never did. When you are describing someone you love and that person is sitting right next you, look at them and smile to reassure them. Chris doesn't seem to be speaking for the heart, more like a script of what he wants in his dream wife. Maybe he's realizing that they he and Whitney don't really connect outside of the Bachelor experience. He obviously has to keep up appearances especially with DWTS coming up.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Whitney because she looks to him waiting for him to look back at her and he never did.

If it were either Becca or Jade (pre-Playboy reveal) sitting beside him, you'd know he'd be looking at her and holding her hands. I actually feel sorry for Whitney. You shouldn't be second best in a relationship.

Exactly. Like, I don't feel they need to be OMG! WE ARE SO IN LOVE!!! like other couples have been but he looks pained when he is with her. Even watching his reaction to Becca during ATFR, his eyes looked so sad. Chris ain't that good of an actor. I think he feels he's stuck since he has DWTS and his family loves Whitney. As I said, Whitney's overcompensating reminded me of Jillian's when they interviewed her and Ed after the cheating story leaked and she was all like "OMG NO! THAT IS SUCH A LIE! IT'S HILARIOUS! WE ARE SO IN LOVE!!!" and years later Ed basically confirmed it was true. So yeah, I don't see it boding well for them.

ETA: At least he looks at here here but yeah, still not seeing it.

Edited by FireFoxy
  • Love 1

No comment on how Chris looked in the interviews; I didn't see them. However, during the show itself, I do think he had "that look" with Whitney. In fact, I think she was the ONLY one that made him "glow." In particular, the wedding crash date and the date in which Whitney met his friends stand out to me as moments that was as clear as day that it was all Whitney. He was beaming saying how she makes him a better man, etc. That being said, it's possible that the glow wore off between then and now. I was spoiled on Whitney being the winner, and after seeing that glow mid-season, I stopped looking as intently for "clues" based on body language, etc. So I feel like I can't weigh in current goo-goo eye levels, but they DEFINITELY existed at some point, and I don't think Whitney won by default.

• Love 5
Just shows how desperate the producers were for Britt. They'll spin anything in her favour.

I would LOVE to see Chris H. as a contestant on the B'ette season. It's only fitting since he is sooooo into Britt. I know, it's creepy, but no creepier than some of the other gimmicks used on this show (like the guy who wore the mask on Ashley's B'ette season).

Even when Chris was describing why he picked Whitney, the reasons boil down to the fact that he THINKS she would make a great life partner for him.

As opposed to Chris not even being able to spit out a complete sentence much less a coherent THOUGHT when asked why Becca was perfect for him? I was shouting at my tee vee, "I want Becca because she's a VIRGIN" but Chris couldn't even cough that out. I'll take his less-than-perfect reasons for chosing Whitney over his inability to even form a thought or choke out a sentence to describe Becca.

Plus I could care less about PDAs, especially during television interviews. I find them squicky and yucky. Too many couples hang all over each other at ATFR, then ... it's over. *coughandijoshjakevienna ... and countless otherscough*

Means nothing. Whether they last or not or get married or not is entirely up to the two involved.

• Love 2

Jette ... what a GREAT article about Ashley. Thanks for finding and posting that link. I was one of the few here who said she was a breath of fresh air, calling the show for what it is, a house full of women crying for no reason. And her discovering the Secret Curtain of TPTB was the best. Bored so she Explored. I say good on her.

I hope she does not do BiP. That's such dreck, so much worse than the Bach in so many ways.

Plus Auburn is a great school. Does Kelsey know about that?

• Love 3