Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

It's not cool here, dammit, but I'm on vacation this week and driving down to the coast. I'm leaving my work computer at home so I will be completely cut off and my team can't have an excuse to call with a question for me.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I was thinking maybe every Sunday those who want can share something good/what they are happy  in their life with.

Positive Sunday news: 

I am happy that I got a place to sleep and food to eat! 

Gorgeous days here too. Happy to be healthy. Happy to be in a more pleasant, less stressful and dysfunctional job situation. 

• Love 14

What a great and fabulous idea @iwantcookies!!!  Seriously! 

maybe you should establish a bad news day - cloudy news Wednesday or something - and we’ll just all avoid reading that day.  

I have 2 things (because I’m a blog hog, as we all know).  
I read on FB that my neighbor down the street (I’ve mentioned before - they don’t wave when you go past, so we all know them as “the mean people”) had complications and more surgery this week from a double mastectomy during the summer.  (That’s not the good news).  So I took one whole chicken (just one!) and made chicken pot pie, chicken salad and chicken soup.  (Pretty impressive for one bird!!) took it over there and discovered they are actually not mean at all.  Just reticent.  Keep to themselves mostly.  I’m so thrilled to know that, that they aren’t really mean!!

also:  4 days ago I tried to do some work outside and was sweating like CRAZY!!!  It was so DANG hot and muggy!!!  But the next day (it was rainy, so hard to tell) the switch got flipped and PRESTO, we have apparently started some easier weather.  YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!  [truthfulky, I’m a full-on SUMMER girl, I live for the hot weather.  But that garden nearly killed me this year, so a little 70’s feels like swweeeeeeeet!!!!!].  I’m in a new season of life 😜

• Love 16

It's a gorgeous sunny fall day here in the Midwest.  Spent the afternoon on the patio listening to the Indians' game with my sister and brother, eating a nice lunch of fried chicken and the fixin's while we watched my sister's new puppy play with my dogs.  It doesn't get any better than that.

• Love 17

What a lovely idea.

Both my teenagers had socially distanced friend gatherings this weekend.  The kids all behaved and followed the rules. They needed that visit  since school is all virtual.  And the weather is beautiful (I love fall!)

• Love 16

Happy/positive thought: thanks to all of you who chatted up Lark Rise. I started it last night, and it is just adorable. I'm still trying to learn everyone's name, so in my mind, Mr. Bates's daughter is working for Mrs. Horatio Hornblower, who has a complicated history with Group Captain Townsend. And the Queen Mum runs a shop in town. LOL

Oh and forgot to add that Phyllis Crane is married to Cato/Mumbly Cop from Hot Fuzz

This is like half the fun of British television for me. Seeing all the familiar faces! 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7

Great idea, @iwantcookies

Very happy for the exam score that came in on Friday, and for getting to spend this weekend with my very lovely boyfriend. Also grateful for my dog’s two “best friends,” who she has a blast playing with (and I have a blast watching her!).

My dog, on the other hand, is most grateful for her new fall wardrobe.

• Love 13

Love this idea @iwantcookies.

I’m enjoying the weekly group Skype meetings with our California families including the adult kids, grandkids, and a sibling. We chat awhile then rotate online games like scavenger hunts, what’s the sketch and a few others. I miss the hugs so much, but at least I can see them.

• Love 9

I had a nice quiet Sunday. Grocery store run, puttered around the house, read a book, watched some football on TV. (The air quality's still bad from wildfire smoke including a couple in our state; it was a little better yesterday but now one of the fires has flared up bigtime so today the warnings are still up. Ugh.)

@doodlebug, I thought of you Thursday night as I watched that really good game between the Browns and the Bengals. The socially distanced Dawg Pound was odd to see, but I'm glad they didn't cram the place full. 

• Love 9

I’m going to need for Ree Drummond to keep her story straight.  There is at least one episode of the The Pioneer Woman where she comments about getting married and then having Alex (I think she’s oldest) 8 months later. I’m paraphrasing but she basically said you do the math and chuckled.  Why she’s lying twenty plus years later is beyond me.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m going to need for Ree Drummond to keep her story straight.  There is at least one episode of the The Pioneer Woman where she comments about getting married and then having Alex (I think she’s oldest) 8 months later. I’m paraphrasing but she basically said you do the math and chuckled.  Why she’s lying twenty plus years later is beyond me.

Google says they were married on September 21, 1996 and Alex was born June 25, 1997. 

• Love 4

I called the office and was told to wait for a call back. Still waiting.

Office assistant told me that in her experience if it was bad I would have gotten a call back very quickly. No news is good news? 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 18

@iwantcookies, sorry for the late reply but I echo the sentiment that there are a lot of people in here that care about you. We may not know you in real life but your interactions here have shown us that you are a person who matters. This is a place where you will always find someone to encourage you and lift you up. I have found this to be true for myself on several occasions. I wish you had people in your real life to do this for you but don't give up, better things could be around the corner. As for the ones in your life who don't make any effort to show they care, well, excuse the language, but "screw 'em".  Much love and hugs. Janet.

• Love 9

My uncles ex is truly unhinged. Called me 10+ times to scream that I’m spreading rumors about her. Ahhh all I said is she calls me to ask me to tell her ex to give her $$$. All truth. 

I changed my number and WILL not be giving it out to my cousin or his momsy from hell. My cousin gave her my number without my permission. 

Unhinged upset me so much and raised my blood pressure. Can’t post this on Facebook because cousin will read it.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

My uncles ex is truly unhinged. Called me 10+ times to scream that I’m spreading rumors about her. Ahhh all I said is she calls me to ask me to tell her ex to give her $$$. All truth. 

I changed my number and WILL not be giving it out to my cousin or his momsy from hell. My cousin gave her my number without my permission. 

Unhinged upset me so much and raised my blood pressure. Can’t post this on Facebook because cousin will read it.

Did you call the docs office to change your number?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't usually check in on the weekends, so I missed the Sunday part. Here's my belated: it was a gorgeous day, Mr Turquoise made lunch, and we did little else except walk the dog and take a little drive. It was so nice!

Now, I'm going to vent. LOL. I've had fibroids for several years, doctor told me to wait a bit because insurance wouldn't do anything yet. OK, fine. Started having more symptoms in late winter, get an appointment for spring. Said appointment canceled because COVID. I finally got in a couple weeks ago. They run an ultrasound, I am now up to 5, with the largest baseball sized (sorry if TMI). Now we're ready to move. Surgical referral. After a few days I inquire how long it takes. Give it a week. Fine. Gave it 8 days to be nice. Contact nurse back. She contacts doctor directly. Doctor looks at ultrasound report, decides I need to see the doctor who specializes in fibroids. I was referred by the referral Friday afternoon. Waiting. I'm normally a very patient person, but my rarely-seen Irish temper is starting to warm up. Just frustrated. Thanks for "listening".

• Love 3

Oh, man. I feel for you both. A few years ago I injured my tailbone and couldn’t sit down or lie down without pain meds , which I hate, for eight months. I waited four months to hear back about an MRI appointment...finally found out it had never been requested.
I did not take it well. 

Annnd I have been waiting all day for a call back from my vet’s office to find out whether my retriever is actually having surgery tomorrow, which is what I thought, or if I am getting him there at 7 freaking a.m. for what will turn out just to be pre-surgery bloodwork and vet exam. And do I feed him breakfast or not? Water or not? And why did the text and email reminders say “medical” appointment, not surgical? THIS IS MY SPOILED ROTTEN STINKER ADORED NERVOUS BABY BOY AND GENERAL ANESTHESIA AND THEY ARE TAKING THIS WAAAAAY TOO CASUALLY!!!!! 

So move over on the WTF Sofa, Medical Edition, and at least we can sit together and eat cake.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, man. I feel for you both. A few years ago I injured my tailbone and couldn’t sit down or lie down without pain meds , which I hate, for eight months. I waited four months to hear back about an MRI appointment...finally found out it had never been requested.
I did not take it well. 

Annnd I have been waiting all day for a call back from my vet’s office to find out whether my retriever is actually having surgery tomorrow, which is what I thought, or if I am getting him there at 7 freaking a.m. for what will turn out just to be pre-surgery bloodwork and vet exam. And do I feed him breakfast or not? Water or not? And why did the text and email reminders say “medical” appointment, not surgical? THIS IS MY SPOILED ROTTEN STINKER ADORED NERVOUS BABY BOY AND GENERAL ANESTHESIA AND THEY ARE TAKING THIS WAAAAAY TOO CASUALLY!!!!! 

So move over on the WTF Sofa, Medical Edition, and at least we can sit together and eat cake.

Thanks for the offer...I love cake!
My mom and I call the bolded "having a Shirley" from Terms of Endearment when she has the come-apart at the nurse's desk. My mom lives in a different state from me, but she has offered to road-trip in order to have a Shirley on my behalf. We're not to that point yet. I just don't feel great, an answer is on the horizon, and no one is calling me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

I don't usually check in on the weekends, so I missed the Sunday part. Here's my belated: it was a gorgeous day, Mr Turquoise made lunch, and we did little else except walk the dog and take a little drive. It was so nice!

Now, I'm going to vent. LOL. I've had fibroids for several years, doctor told me to wait a bit because insurance wouldn't do anything yet. OK, fine. Started having more symptoms in late winter, get an appointment for spring. Said appointment canceled because COVID. I finally got in a couple weeks ago. They run an ultrasound, I am now up to 5, with the largest baseball sized (sorry if TMI). Now we're ready to move. Surgical referral. After a few days I inquire how long it takes. Give it a week. Fine. Gave it 8 days to be nice. Contact nurse back. She contacts doctor directly. Doctor looks at ultrasound report, decides I need to see the doctor who specializes in fibroids. I was referred by the referral Friday afternoon. Waiting. I'm normally a very patient person, but my rarely-seen Irish temper is starting to warm up. Just frustrated. Thanks for "listening".

5 years ago, I went to a doctor for the first time in years (I had had no Health insurance until the ACA/Obamacare kicked in). While doing my Pap smear, she wondered if I was pregnant because I had a huge bump in my uterus (I hadn’t really noticed, I had gained some weight). Well, pregnancy was impossible because I hadn’t been sexually active for some time. So she sent me to have an ultrasound, which confirmed a mass in my uterus. What kind and whether it was cancerous, they couldn’t tell me. I was then sent to a gynecologic oncologist! Which was scary! An oncologist?? So he then did the same pelvic exam and found a large mass. Sent me for several more tests, including an MRI and cat scan. None of which told us any more than that there was a mass there, fibroid tumor or tumors. They were so large that I was told a hysterectomy was the only solution. No way to know if the fibroids were cancerous or not otherwise. I looked into other options and saw another couple doctors on my own. They all said the same thing, that a hysterectomy was my only option given the size of the fibroids. I really liked the last gynecologist I found, and scheduled the surgery with him. This whole process took an entire summer, months of medical appointments! Anyway, I finally had the hysterectomy and it turned out that the tumors were huge, much bigger than anyone had thought. But, not cancerous! I had an incision from above my navel to down to my pelvic area. The good news? I had a quick recovery with very little pain, and have been feeling great since. And I definitely don’t miss my monthly periods! So hang in there, even if it comes to this all can go very well. The waiting is indeed the hardest part.

• Love 22
4 hours ago, Turquoise said:

Is this intrauterine?  (Please, everyone pause and look at that big hair all of a word I just coughed up!). Isn’t this quite painful??

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, Turquoise said:

@Turquoise I’ve had fibroid surgery twice.  Robotic laparoscopy after lupron injections first and then open myomectomy ten years later.  I had about ten removed the first time and 23 removed the second time.  The open myomectomy was pretty painful some days, but recovery was manageable and the improvement in my quality of life was well worth it.  I honestly get the waiting and frustration, but it is a process.  My second operation was done by a GYN that specializes in fibroids and she was able to get them all. It was definitely worth the wait to have her expertise.  

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

And I share 😉

Yeah.  Not so much.  You just said you might be back to say you now only have crumbs and drops.  Which means you only share when the brownies are fresh out of the oven and the bourbon is just opened.  That’s not really sharing, that’s grudgingly acknowledging you’re having a drink and eating a brownie and feeling obliged to share if I drop by at the exact precise right moment.  

So, a story.  I don’t buy liquor.  Not to say I don’t CONSUME liquor, just that I still have Baptist residue (and still have guilt bits) enough to rely on my husband to keep me supplied.  He doesn’t complain, he just kind of keeps up with it, and it MUST magically appear, because I don’t buy it and there’s usually a drink to be had if I want one.  I thought I might like a drink the other day (he makes this drink that’s lemonade, vodka and sprite.  That’s my drank.  Very tasty.  Allegedly.   I can be forced to drink it  😜)   I actually CALLED him to ask if there’s any vodka at the house.  He doesnt drink vodka.  No.  You’re out, he says.  Welp, I’m near a liquor store with a drive up.   I put on my big girl panties (which are now kind of granny panties...) and here’s how the conversation goes:

me:  I’d like some citronella vodka please

girl at window:  I’m sorry?

me:  it’s a citrus vodka, you know which one I mean?

girl:  is it... Smirnoff??

me:  yes!  And it’s lemon.  Or maybe lime.  But I think it’s just citrus.

girl:  rolls eyes.  What size?

me:  (thinking to myself, DAMN With the questions.  It’s not a half gallon I don’t think). Aaahhhhmmmm... it’s about this tall (shows with hands) and about this big around

girl at window (doesn’t say this out loud):  this woman is a total drunk and trying to make me beieve she’s never bought liquor before

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Yeah.  Not so much.  You just said you might be back to say you now only have crumbs and drops.  Which means you only share when the brownies are fresh out of the oven and the bourbon is just opened.  That’s not really sharing, that’s grudgingly acknowledging you’re having a drink and eating a brownie and feeling obliged to share if I drop by at the exact precise right moment.  

So, a story.  I don’t buy liquor.  Not to say I don’t CONSUME liquor, just that I still have Baptist residue (and still have guilt bits) enough to rely on my husband to keep me supplied.  He doesn’t complain, he just kind of keeps up with it, and it MUST magically appear, because I don’t buy it and there’s usually a drink to be had if I want one.  I thought I might like a drink the other day (he makes this drink that’s lemonade, vodka and sprite.  That’s my drank.  Very tasty.  Allegedly.   I can be forced to drink it  😜)   I actually CALLED him to ask if there’s any vodka at the house.  He doesnt drink vodka.  No.  You’re out, he says.  Welp, I’m near a liquor store with a drive up.   I put on my big girl panties (which are now kind of granny panties...) and here’s how the conversation goes:

me:  I’d like some citronella vodka please

girl at window:  I’m sorry?

me:  it’s a citrus vodka, you know which one I mean?

girl:  is it... Smirnoff??

me:  yes!  And it’s lemon.  Or maybe lime.  But I think it’s just citrus.

girl:  rolls eyes.  What size?

me:  (thinking to myself, DAMN With the questions.  It’s not a half gallon I don’t think). Aaahhhhmmmm... it’s about this tall (shows with hands) and about this big around

girl at window (doesn’t say this out loud):  this woman is a total drunk and trying to make me beieve she’s never bought liquor before

Bahahaha I am not much of a drinker (and have some weird hang-ups when I do have the occasional drink). But I am fine with other people drinking, and as long as I am not in my small town where prying eyes will want to know why they saw you parked at the liquor store, I am not opposed to buying alcohol for a (totally legal age) friend of mine. It's a recurring inside joke of me getting her a bottle of Scotch every year for her birthday.

The first time I did this, though, was because she had mentioned she wanted to try Scotch. I'd never been in a liquor store before and wandered into one and asked for Scotch. They had a nice Scotch selection. I was overwhelmed by the selection, already feeling weird about being there since it was my first time, and asked for help. The guy kept asking me what I liked. And I was like, "It's not for me--it's for a friend!" And he's like, "well, what kind of Scotch does your 'friend' like? Scotch drinkers can be picky." And I told him, "I don't know. She's never had it and wants to try it."

I could tell he totally thought that I was lying and buying it for myself. And the more I insisted it was for a friend, the bigger a shit-eating grin he got on his face. By the end, he was practically using air quotes every time he talked about my "friend." I wanted to crawl under a rock after clocking him in the head with the bottle. But I kept it together, refrained from using the Scotch as a weapon, and bought a bottle for my friend. When I told her this story as I was presenting her with her gift, she wouldn't stop laughing at me. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 15

Still enjoying Lark Rise but between this and Downton, I have to ask, does Brendan Coyle (whom I'm sure is otherwise a perfectly lovely person IRL) have some sort of clause in his contract that insists he must be cast as whiny professional martyrs in period dramas? I couldn't stand him in Downton Abbey, and I don't like him in this either. I was talking to my grandma about the show (she's watching it with me), and as soon as I mentioned him, she had a similar eruption about how much she disliked him in both shows, which cracked me up because she tends to get wound up much less about fictional characters than I do. 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

Still enjoying Lark Rise but between this and Downton, I have to ask, does Brendan Coyle (whom I'm sure is otherwise a perfectly lovely person IRL) have some sort of clause in his contract that insists he must be cast as whiny professional martyrs in period dramas? I couldn't stand him in Downton Abbey, and I don't like him in this either. I was talking to my grandma about the show (she's watching it with me), and as soon as I mentioned him, she had a similar eruption about how much she disliked him in both shows, which cracked me up because she tends to get wound up much less about fictional characters than I do. 🤣

He does seem to play a "type" in these shows.  I'm glad you are enjoying Lark Rise.  It is fun for me to see actors that I have liked in other series.  Dawn French and Liz Smith (the postmistress's housekeeper) were in "Vicar of Dibley", Ruby Bentall is the daughter of Janine Duvitski from "Waiting for God" (she looks just like her mother); she was also in the recent "Poldark" , Claudie Blakley was in"Cranford".  I wish they had been able to continue for another season.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

He does seem to play a "type" in these shows.  I'm glad you are enjoying Lark Rise.  It is fun for me to see actors that I have liked in other series.  Dawn French and Liz Smith (the postmistress's housekeeper) were in "Vicar of Dibley", Ruby Bentall is the daughter of Janine Duvitski from "Waiting for God" (she looks just like her mother); she was also in the recent "Poldark" , Claudie Blakley was in"Cranford".  I wish they had been able to continue for another season.

Thanks--it is a lot of fun! Halfway through the first season and I horded all of them from the library, so I wouldn't have to wait for them as I finished. 😁 I'm really looking forward to Bentall. She's not popped up yet (I don't think), but I really enjoyed her in Poldark. I loved Cranford. Really need to rewatch it because I don't remember much actual content, just how much I enjoyed it.  

Oh my God. I didn't realize Bentall was related to Jane from Waiting for God! I loved that show and watched it all the time as a kid. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

Oh my God. I didn't realize Bentall was related to Jane from Waiting for God! I loved that show and watched it all the time as a kid. 

Isn't it amazing how much Ruby Bentall looks like her mother?  "Waiting for God" is one of my absolute favorites.  So great whenever you need a good laugh!!  Stephanie Cole was a much younger woman, but played a "senior citizen" so well.  That show just cracks me up!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Isn't it amazing how much Ruby Bentall looks like her mother?  "Waiting for God" is one of my absolute favorites.  So great whenever you need a good laugh!!  Stephanie Cole was a much younger woman, but played a "senior citizen" so well.  That show just cracks me up!

YES! I can't believe I never put two and two together because they do favor so much. Hahaha my brother and I still quote Waiting for God to each other. It used to come on Saturday nights for us, and it was appointment television. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

You are clearly unaware of my emergency brown and bourbon supply. I would never run out of either. I would whip up a fresh batch of brownies and dig the spare bottle out of my secret stash. I am nothing if not prepared.

• LOL 13
  • Love 4