Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Anyone have this

Skin getting hard like a turtle shell. It was a small patch and now it’s a big big area. It’s freaking me out. I’m feeling for lumps/tumors but can’t feel anything. If it wasn’t for stupid COVID I’d go to a hospital.

See a dermatologist. 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

The dry eye is an issue.  My eye dr. recommended the bruder eye mask which works.  My dry eyes are I think all wrapped up in allergies, antihistamines, reflux from swallowing, etc.  I get the allergies, swallow all the post nasal drip, take a Pepsid, take an antihistamine and it dries everything up, and I have dry eyes. I was taking generic Allegra which worked great on the allergies, but I had double vision and when I looked it up, says could be from the generic Allegra.  Going to see eye doctor tomorrow for annual checkup and will see if there is new over the counter he likes. He did recommend Zaditor drops which is for allergies and that works great too.  Only once a day though.

Zaditor drops work really well for itchy eyes but they can burn if you’ve rubbed too much.

56 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ll watch. I love that stuff. Is there a topic here?

Well...I could have sworn I found (and saved) the Lark Rise To Candleford forum, but now I can't find hide nor hair of it! Help!😭 😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

And I understand why it happens, but it always really gets me when it's just a thread and not a forum, so you have to basically just watch the entire show before daring to wade in for fear of spoilers. 

Yes! That's what I found, and thought I saved, and now can't find again. Ugh.

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Yes! That's what I found, and thought I saved, and now can't find again. Ugh.

When did you save it? I just tried Googling a thread for it on here, which usually works, but came up short. Unfortunately, I think some stuff disappeared when Previously TV became Primetimer. Not the same as a thread, but the Poldark recaps are gone from episode threads, which pissed me off because one of them had a magnificent GIF of Pip Torrens rolling his eyes that speaks to my soul, but I can't find it anywhere else. 

• Love 2

I know most of you join discussions for more than one show and I wish I had ventured out into other shows on here years ago. The one time I checked out the Bates, maybe a couple years after discovering 19 Kids, it felt odd to enter into another show discussion for me. Maybe because other then FB this is the only online place I participate in. As my kids say "I discovered the internet", meaning joining a forum, late in life.

You all on here are unique and are so welcoming and inclusive that it makes other other forums, at least for me, feel different. (I feel like a Duggar, too timid to venture out of my virtual front door)

• Love 12
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I know most of you join discussions for more than one show and I wish I had ventured out into other shows on here years ago. The one time I checked out the Bates, maybe a couple years after discovering 19 Kids, it felt odd to enter into another show discussion for me. Maybe because other then FB this is the only online place I participate in. As my kids say "I discovered the internet", meaning joining a forum, late in life.

You all on here are unique and are so welcoming and inclusive that it makes other other forums, at least for me, feel different. (I feel like a Duggar, too timid to venture out of my virtual front door)

But some of us are also on different forums!!  And if you don’t comment no one will know. I read the Bates and sister wives as far as these scripted reality shows

• Love 10
10 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I watched Lark Rise to Candleford mainly for Linda Bassett, who plays Phyllis Crane, my favorite character on Call the Midwife. I really appreciated that it wasn’t as sugar-coated as a lot of period pieces. 

I ran into the tiny dead forum issue when I binge watching Republic of Doyle. It’s so disappointing. 

We loved Republic of Doyle 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Anyone have this

Skin getting hard like a turtle shell. It was a small patch and now it’s a big big area. It’s freaking me out. I’m feeling for lumps/tumors but can’t feel anything. If it wasn’t for stupid COVID I’d go to a hospital.

Don't go to the hospital, nobody in the ER knows much about dermatology and a problem you've had for a while isn't an emergency anyway.  Call your family doctor and see what they think.  They can often do virtual visits and at least take a look at the area using Facetime.  Then, proceed from there.

If your family doctor has a way for you to contact them by email (my employer has one called Message to My Doctor), you could use that and take a picture of the area with your phone and send it.  Most doctors will get back to you within a few days, my employer requires us to respond within 3 working days.

BTW, if you are ever having a gynecologic problem and want to send your doctor a picture of your vaginal discharge or a clot from your period, please don't.  We believe you and don't really need to see.  I have also had pregnant people want to bring in their mucus plug.   Please, no.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is my favorite forum on here, but I've had pretty good luck with the other ones I've tried. I was really pleasantly surprised how many familiar faces from here were in The Crown's discussion forum. 😁

Edited by Zella
  • Love 12
39 minutes ago, Zella said:

This is my favorite forum on here, but I've had pretty good luck with the other ones I've tried. I was really pleasantly surprised how many familiar faces from here were in The Crown's discussion forum. 😁

Love The Crown!  Also like royal gossip and I know I've seen you there, too.  I have a good friend who is in London (pen pals since we were 13 or so).  Whenever, I go to visit, she always jokes about my obsession.  I have a Harry and Meghan wedding tea towel in my kitchen and a guest towel with Buckingham Palace crest in my bath; courtesy of her.

When I go to visit, I love to visit all the historical sites; my friend begs off, claiming she was there (any of them) on a field trip as a kid and 'The place is 1000 years old, it can't have changed in 50'.  Last time, I took the boat down to Hampton Court Palace.  When I told her where I was going, her first words were, 'This is part of your obsession with the Tudors, isn't it?'.  Yup, who can resist seeing the halls where Katherine Howard was chased by the guards who took her to the tower?  Where Jane Seymour gave birth and died a couple weeks later?  

Best bang for the buck royal site in England?  The tour of Buckingham Palace which is only done in August when the Queen is in Balmoral.  Spectacular stuff.  Also, if you've ever been to Versailles outside of Paris, most of the furniture that was in Versailles at the time of the revolution is now in Buck House as the French  revolutionaries sold it to the British crown.  It helps flesh out the story at Versailles a lot to see the furniture since there is very little still there.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
Just now, doodlebug said:

Love The Crown!  Also like royal gossip and I know I've seen you there, too.  I have a good friend who is in London (pen pals since we were 13 or so).  Whenever, I go to visit, she always jokes about my obsession.  I have a Harry and Meghan wedding tea towel in my kitchen and a guest towel with Buckingham Palace crest in my bath; courtesy of her.

When I go to visit, I love to visit all the historical sites; my friend begs off, claiming she was there (any of them) on a field trip as a kid and 'The place is 1000 years old, it can't have changed in 50'.  Last time, I took the boat down to Hampton Court Palace.  When I told her where I was going, her first words were, 'This is part of your obsession with the Tudors, isn't it?'.  Yup, who can resist seeing the halls where Katherine Howard was chased by the guards who took her to the tower?  Where Jane Seymour gave birth and died a couple weeks later?  

I love The Crown! (And royal gossip. LOL) I've not seen season 3 yet, though I am excited about some of the recasts. Am just sort of waiting to binge it and 4 at the same time.

I've always wanted to go to England! I got to go to Europe for a school trip about 9 years ago, which was fun--France and Germany and some of the smaller countries. But no UK or Ireland, and that bitterly disappointed me. Hopefully one day I can find my way over there. 

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Zella said:

I like a lot of forums on here, but you guys are my fav small talk spot. 😁

I went to visit my cousin and great aunt yesterday (I brought food and my most pleasant smile) to check on the hoarding situation. I’m a reasonable person- I don’t expect my cousin to become a functioning adult at 51 years old (she was complaining about her period and I asked was she managing peri menopause and she proclaimed she was too young for that 🙄), but Theres a standard for care. If the kitchen, back porch gets cleaned up and they get a functioning fridge with a visit from the exterminator I will be pleased. I talked to her about finding a memory care facility for her mother and she was lamenting how she wanted to buy a condo and pay someone to care for her. 

I hate to sound like an egotistical bitch, but “stop trying to be me sweetie, you don’t have it like that.” I’m not asking her to do ANYTHING but care for her mother (with her mother’s own money), and if she can’t or won’t do that, find her a safe place to be. The way she talks to her I swear it’s not right. I can say I’m not angry but I am upset. My great aunt would’ve never let her sisters live like this. My cousin was raised better. I would die of shame before I let my sister live like that. Just die. It’s not right. 

I don’t want to have to call APS on my cousin but I will if it crosses that line(and it’s close). 

AND my mom has another knee replacement scheduled for the end of October. Save me I will have a tall toddler and a tall five years old on my hands. Drs make awful patients. But I sat down with my sister’s caregiver M and told her what additional duties she would have for November, and what her additional pay would be. 

Not like I was going anywhere anyway. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I love The Crown! (And royal gossip. LOL) I've not seen season 3 yet, though I am excited about some of the recasts. Am just sort of waiting to binge it and 4 at the same time.

I've always wanted to go to England! I got to go to Europe for a school trip about 9 years ago, which was fun--France and Germany and some of the smaller countries. But no UK or Ireland, and that bitterly disappointed me. Hopefully one day I can find my way over there. 

Highly recommend England/Scotland.  I hope to get to Ireland one of these days.  I'm fortunate that I have a free place to stay in London, so that has come in handy.  

Season 3 of The Crown

Spoiler

Kind of disappointing to me.  Olivia Coleman is a very different kind of queen than Claire Foy.  She's a great actress, but perhaps miscast here as her queen is not terribly sympathetic and doesn't seem to have much continuity with Foy's Elizabeth.  I thought Prince Philip was well cast and Princess Anne is perfect!  Unfortunately, we don't get her kidnapping or wedding; somebody really needs to do a Princess Anne biopic, she has lead a life!  Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret is excellent; though I am not sure we needed as much Margaret as we got.  I suppose the big name casting required a certain focus in the storyline.

• Love 8
Just now, doodlebug said:

Highly recommend England/Scotland.  I hope to get to Ireland one of these days.  I'm fortunate that I have a free place to stay in London, so that has come in handy.  

Season 3 of The Crown

Reveal spoiler

Kind of disappointing to me.  Olivia Coleman is a very different kind of queen than Claire Foy.  She's a great actress, but perhaps miscast here as her queen is not terribly sympathetic and doesn't seem to have much continuity with Foy's Elizabeth.  I thought Prince Philip was well cast and Princess Anne is perfect!  Unfortunately, we don't get her kidnapping or wedding; somebody really needs to do a Princess Anne biopic, she has lead a life!  Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret is excellent; though I am not sure we needed as much Margaret as we got.  I suppose the big name casting required a certain focus in the storyline.

Oh yes I'd love to see Scotland. I've been into genealogy recently and realized a lot of the family tree is Scottish. Or well Scotch-Irish from Scotland by way of Northern Ireland, to be more precise, but still. I'd always wanted to visit, but that made me want to visit even more. 

Spoiler

I'd wondered about how replacing Foy went. I loved her work in the early seasons. She was fantastic. Tobias Menzies as Phillip and Josh O'Connor as Charles were the 2 performances I was most looking forward to. Been a Tobias fan since Rome and a Josh fan since The Durrells. I was never really wild about Matt Smith as Phillip, though he had his moments. Oh and I'm looking forward to Charles Dance. But I really don't get why they didn't save him for old Prince Phillip. He has aged better than Phil though. 😆

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Zella said:

Oh yes I'd love to see Scotland. I've been into genealogy recently and realized a lot of the family tree is Scottish. Or well Scotch-Irish from Scotland by way of Northern Ireland, to be more precise, but still. I'd always wanted to visit, but that made me want to visit even more. 

Hide contents

I'd wondered about how replacing Foy went. I loved her work in the early seasons. She was fantastic. Tobias Menzies as Phillip and Josh O'Connor as Charles were the 2 performances I was most looking forward to. Been a Tobias fan since Rome and a Josh fan since The Durrells. I was never really wild about Matt Smith as Phillip, though he had his moments. Oh and I'm looking forward to Charles Dance. But I really don't get why they didn't save him for old Prince Phillip. He has aged better than Phil though. 😆

I love Olivia Coleman,and was disappointed by season 3. 

Spoiler

The scripts for season 3 are lacking compared to the first 2 seasons, and the direction was all over the place.  I find it hard to compare the two actresses because of these faults.  Also, some significant events from the time period were glossed over in season 3 that make me wonder how things will play out.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Hide contents

The scripts for season 3 are lacking compared to the first 2 seasons, and the direction was all over the place.  I find it hard to compare the two actresses because of these faults.  Also, some significant events from the time period were glossed over in season 3 that make me wonder how things will play out.  

That's unfortunate! 😞 Seasons 1 and 2 include some of my all-time favorite TV episodes. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Hide contents

I agree, the writing seemed unfocused and there was no cohesive storytelling, unlike the first two seasons.  They also ignored or changed very significant details of important historical events.

Spoiler

I really liked Tobias Menzies as Philip, but probably the worst episode of the season for me was one focused on him.  Philip has a midlife crisis after meeting the Apollo 11 crew after the moon landing and discovering they're just regular people.  Yawn worthy. Meanwhile, Philip's relationship with his mother,  who came to live with them at the end of her life, was glossed over and a far more interesting story to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Season 3 of The Crown

Reveal spoiler

I hope to go back to England in the spring to visit my cousins. Was planning on going this spring, but, well, obviously that didn't work out. And one of my cousins passed away just about at that time, so I feel really bad about not being able to be there. 

I do love England and Scotland, but never seem/ed to do much in the way of touristy stuff, since my trips to England are generally to visit family, and while we were stationed in Scotland for two years, I had a four-year-old, a two-year-old, then a baby during the time we were there, and didn't really get around and about all that much. 

The last time I was there, my one cousin who lives in St Alban's took me to see Benjamin Disraeli's estate, which was worth seeing, and also just a few old churches in the vicinity, which I always love seeing. One of them had some ancient Latin graffiti carved into the wall. It's those little things which make you feel more connected with a place

Another cousin, who lives in Sheffield, took me on a day trip to Scarborough, which was also a great place to see. Most of the seafront area is just as tacky as can be, but the people-watching was a joy, and there are also some wonderful older areas of town, and castle ruins overlooking everything. I'm a total sucker for castle ruins, and my cousin and her husband had no idea they were even there, so we all had a wonderful day out seeing something new.

My favorite place of any I've been to in England is the Cornish coast, but it's sooooo difficult to get there anymore without a car, and I'm just not prepared to brave driving in England by myself.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My favorite place of any I've been to in England is the Cornish coast, but it's sooooo difficult to get there anymore without a car, and I'm just not prepared to brave driving in England by myself.

Poldark and Rebecca DuMaurier always made me want to visit Cornwall! 😄 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Also, if you've ever been to Versailles outside of Paris, most of the furniture that was in Versailles at the time of the revolution is now in Buck House as the French  revolutionaries sold it to the British crown.  It helps flesh out the story at Versailles a lot to see the furniture since there is very little still there.

I wish I had known this when I visited Versailles! I was so surprised at the complete lack of furniture in what was supposedly one of the most beautiful palaces in the world at its time. When we can travel again, I want to go back to England and France. I think I've either been too rushed or was too young to fully appreciate all that I saw in those countries. 

• Love 3

@doodlebug, @Zella, @Ohiopirate02, and @BitterApple - I agree with your critiques of Season 3 of the Crown. I was disappointed. Unlike with Seasons 1 and 2, I haven't re-watched any of the S3 episodes. 

And, London is my happy place. I'm hoping to visit again but I doubt it will be within the next 12 months because of the pandemic. 

I'm working on some health/fitness issues including weight, etc. One thing suggested was that I set a goal, possibly but not necessarily a weight loss number. I decided my goal (and it's long term) is to be fit enough to handle days of walking 5 or more miles around London without being exhausted by evening. 

Given what 2020 has brought, I'm so glad that I made that 10 day trip to London in early November 2018, to be there during the observances of the Centenary of the 1918 Armistice that ended World War I. I'm a history geek anyway and it was meaningful to be on the ground in London that week. Remembrance Sunday was actually on Nov 11. The ceremony at the Cenotaph included a march-past by 10,000 people who were drawn by lottery, mostly descendants of those who fought in that war. At breakfast that day in our hotel, I got talking to a woman and her aunt, who were going to march in that, carrying a photo of their grandfather (I think) who served in the war. 

My former neighbor who found love again late in life, and moved to the UK for that reason about 8 years ago, sadly died of COVID-19 in May. His husband and I are in touch, and next time I'm in the UK I will again visit their nice home in Brighton, and will miss him when I do. He was a good, generous, kind, and wise soul. 😞 I'm just so glad he found such happiness. 

Edited by Jeeves
clarity
  • Love 15

I will still watch season 4 of The Crown when it drops in November with my expectations tempered a bit.  I have a feeling that I will not be happy with how the show depicts the events surrounding

Spoiler

Lord Monbatten going out with a bang.  I can't shake the idea that the complex political situation known as The Troubles will be boiled down to be all about Charles's manpain.

based on what was left out of season 3.  I will reserve my judgement until all of the Thatcher years are shown.  

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I will still watch season 4 of The Crown when it drops in November with my expectations tempered a bit.  I have a feeling that I will not be happy with how the show depicts the events surrounding

Hide contents

Lord Monbatten going out with a bang.  I can't shake the idea that the complex political situation known as The Troubles will be boiled down to be all about Charles's manpain.

based on what was left out of season 3.  I will reserve my judgement until all of the Thatcher years are shown.  

Are we going to get all of the Thatcher years?  From what I understand, we're not going anywhere near present day; that Seasons 5 and 6 will essentially be set in the same time period to enable more in depth storytelling.  I am very much in favor of in-depth storytelling, I think it was sorely lacking in Season 3.

I do agree with you that the historical events you cited will be viewed through the lens of the angsty Prince of Wales rather than given the sort of nuanced coverage and global context that they deserve.

Also, in other news, Imelda Staunton, who will play Elizabeth in Seasons 5 and 6, went to high school with my British friend.  She didn't know her real well, said she is very tiny and got the lead in every play and it was obvious from the start that she was destined for stardom.  Also said she is a lovely person who is great fun at class reunions.  We saw her in Mame last time I was in London.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Zella said:

Poldark and Rebecca DuMaurier always made me want to visit Cornwall! 😄 

The first time I went there was with a friend - I think it was between high school and college, because it was about the time that the 1970's - era Poldark was airing, and we were both obsessed with it. Also with all things Arthurian. Absolutely loved the Tintagel castle ruins, and went back there a number of times, most recently when I took my daughter there when she  was 13, so that would make it 20 years ago now....argh! I suppose it has probably devolved to a tourist nightmare by now, but back then it captured my imagination like no place else on earth. Still, there are most probably still plenty of unspoiled pockets along the coast, and I do so want to see it again sometime. As I said, though, getting there by public transportation is a nightmare because it's so sparse that it could take you days to travel about 50 miles. Might as well walk it, which I'm tempted to try doing. I think the closest place the trains stop is something like Exeter, which doesn't even get you to Cornwall, and the only express bus that will get you there doesn't stop until it gets to Penzance, so you have to backtrack using local buses to get anywhere (and, as mentioned, run very sporadically). Used to be that you could take a train and stop anywhere, but no more 😥

Never could get into the new Poldark, by the way. Give me Robin Ellis! 😍 And Angharad Rees, for that matter. No other Demelza seems right.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Are we going to get all of the Thatcher years?  From what I understand, we're not going anywhere near present day; that Seasons 5 and 6 will essentially be set in the same time period to enable more in depth storytelling.  I am very much in favor of in-depth storytelling, I think it was sorely lacking in Season 3.

I do agree with you that the historical events you cited will be viewed through the lens of the angsty Prince of Wales rather than given the sort of nuanced coverage and global context that they deserve.

Also, in other news, Imelda Staunton, who will play Elizabeth in Seasons 5 and 6, went to high school with my British friend.  She didn't know her real well, said she is very tiny and got the lead in every play and it was obvious from the start that she was destined for stardom.  Also said she is a lovely person who is great fun at class reunions.  We saw her in Mame last time I was in London.

Based on the casting for seasons 5 and 6, I get the feeling the show will end with the royal divorces of 1996 with more emphasis on Charles and Diana then Andrew and Fergie.  It feels like a natural ending point for the story, and then flows into Peter Morgan's other property The Queen.  I don't see him rehashing the death of Diana through the eyes of Her Majesty and her Prime Minister.  

• Love 5

Took heart murmur cat to the vet this morning for her recheck.  All is well.  Apparently her heart does strange things when she is stressed (like going to the vet).  No return appointment needed.  Toothless cat is doing well.  I'm happy that both my cat children are ok now, but I am concerned with how they do with the Big Move next month.  I hope they like the new house!

• Love 18
54 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Took heart murmur cat to the vet this morning for her recheck.  All is well.  Apparently her heart does strange things when she is stressed (like going to the vet).  No return appointment needed.  Toothless cat is doing well.  I'm happy that both my cat children are ok now, but I am concerned with how they do with the Big Move next month.  I hope they like the new house!

Glad to know all is well.  Funny story.  Long ago, we had four cats.  We moved to another house.  We left the cats at the vet for baths, nail trimming, etc, for the day while we moved.  Mr. lookeyloo went to pick them up. For the old house, it was a right turn to home.  For the new house it was a left turn.  Once he made the left turn all four started wailing.  Got them to the new house where the litter box and food were set out.  Opened the carriers in the new house.  They all came out carefully like meerkats, craning their necks. Then they walked along the baseboards to explore.  It was hilarious.  We showed them around, showed them litter and food, petted them, etc.  Then at bedtime, all four of them got on the bed and curled around Mr lookeyloo's neck!!!  All of them!  Like a litter of kittens.  It took them a day or two but then they were fine.  Hoping same for yours.

• LOL 7
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The first time I went there was with a friend - I think it was between high school and college, because it was about the time that the 1970's - era Poldark was airing, and we were both obsessed with it. Also with all things Arthurian. Absolutely loved the Tintagel castle ruins, and went back there a number of times, most recently when I took my daughter there when she  was 13, so that would make it 20 years ago now....argh! I suppose it has probably devolved to a tourist nightmare by now, but back then it captured my imagination like no place else on earth. Still, there are most probably still plenty of unspoiled pockets along the coast, and I do so want to see it again sometime. As I said, though, getting there by public transportation is a nightmare because it's so sparse that it could take you days to travel about 50 miles. Might as well walk it, which I'm tempted to try doing. I think the closest place the trains stop is something like Exeter, which doesn't even get you to Cornwall, and the only express bus that will get you there doesn't stop until it gets to Penzance, so you have to backtrack using local buses to get anywhere (and, as mentioned, run very sporadically). Used to be that you could take a train and stop anywhere, but no more 😥

Never could get into the new Poldark, by the way. Give me Robin Ellis! 😍 And Angharad Rees, for that matter. No other Demelza seems right.

I've only ever watched the new one. I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons and then it was pretty uneven. By the end, I was pretty much there only for Evil George and his even eviler uncle. LOL But I did stick it out to the bitter end. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I like a lot of forums on here, but you guys are my fav small talk spot. 😁

Ditto that!

I hope we don't get judged by the shows we watch/follow/comment on..mine are an eclectic lot depending on my mood/snark level. 

I  watch everything from programs like  The View , Duggars, 90 Day Fiancee, The Crown,  The Tiger King, Below Deck, 20/20.. Even the  most light-hearted Hallmark channel movies when I need a break from the real world....kwim?

Ps one of my daughters thinks I'm just AWFUL because I like to watch Sister Wives..I find them oh so fascinating and oh so snarkable!😂

I tried to tell her once that I kind of liked the idea of sister wives and she about had a heart attack! (yep, I was dead serious, so sue me) 😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

I loved Lark Rise To Candleford. Too be bad that’s over. I have just caught up on a series called The Affair.  The series ended a year or so ago, so no one is posting now. I posted a little just to see if any old fans would show up. It’s the kind of thing that evokes conversation. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I tried to tell her once that I kind of liked the idea of sister wives and she about had a heart attack! (yep, I was dead serious, so sue me) 😁

I used to think it wasn't a bad thing, too. Then I watched Sister Wives and realized most people aren't wired to share their romantic partners; all of those women are so jealous and unhappy. Not to mention the religious misogyny and the poverty of most of the wives & children. 

• Love 10

Jynnan tonnix: A photo to remind you...(this is the beach where the “new” Poldark was filmed)

Oops, missed the photo...not sure why it didn’t show?

Edited by pinkie
Photo missing
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I used to think it wasn't a bad thing, too. Then I watched Sister Wives and realized most people aren't wired to share their romantic partners; all of those women are so jealous and unhappy. Not to mention the religious misogyny and the poverty of most of the wives & children. 

Oh, I know! I couldn't do ANY of the religion part of it..I just  would have liked the free babysitting, only having to have to cook once every few days, and I could have used a break from my horn dog husband (back in the day.)    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(But in reality,I wouldn't want to share my husband) 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Did anyone watch a series called, I think, "Sweet Magnolias"?  It was a "best friends have family problems" type show, but I enjoyed it.  The season ended on a real cliff-hanger, and I haven't heard if there will be a second season.  I hope so.  I hate to have shows not have an end to them.  (I'm sure about the "Magnolias" part.  Not so sure on the first word.)

Also, if you like British series, look for "Pie in the Sky".  I want to say it is  on Netflix.  Very cute light mystery series with a police detective that wants to retire and likes baking shepherds pie, so he buys a restaurant and cooks, while solving mysteries. 

Also on Netflix is a reality great program called "The Repair Shop".  It is a big barn with some of the most amazing artisans who repair the most interesting things that people bring in.  The art restorer and the horologist (clock repair) are amazing.  So is the ceramic repair lady----actually all the repair people are just amazing.  Lots of different, interesting items are brought in to repair.  I'm hoping that they bring more seasons to Netflix.

Edited by CalicoKitty
missing word
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My cats have all done pretty well with moving. I like to have the food and boxes set up for them so they know where they are and they can sniff around. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Ditto that!

I hope we don't get judged by the shows we watch/follow/comment on..mine are an eclectic lot depending on my mood/snark level. 

I  watch everything from programs like  The View , Duggars, 90 Day Fiancee, The Crown,  The Tiger King, Below Deck, 20/20.. Even the  most light-hearted Hallmark channel movies when I need a break from the real world....kwim?

Ps one of my daughters thinks I'm just AWFUL because I like to watch Sister Wives..I find them oh so fascinating and oh so snarkable!😂

2 hours ago, Nysha said:

I like to watch Sister Wives too! I watched in the very beginning and fell off and got back into it a couple of years ago. I did a rewatch and started talking in the board over there. 

I think plural marriage can work just fine if romantic love isn’t the basis for the marriage and the people have the same value system. You want to like your spouse, respect them, and you don’t want to be repulsed at the idea of sex with them- but you can’t be IN LOVE with them or it’s going to be a jealous mess. Oh and you can’t expect them to meet most of emotional needs. 

Monogamous marriage has a lot of problems too, and people are people at the end of the day. If I had to marry a man, I think I could do plural marriage if I could be the second income earner and didn’t have to have biological children (cause I’m not doing that). But the show demonstrated to me that the relationships between the women are the most interesting, and women get REALLY attached to their husbands. Like REALLY attached. It’s fascinating to me. (says me who lives with my cat)  

image.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My cats have all done pretty well with moving. I like to have the food and boxes set up for them so they know where they are and they can sniff around. 

Mine are going to have a 4 hour drive.  I still have a little while until the move, but I'm not looking forward to this trip!

• Love 1

When I was hanging out in the Indian Matchmaker thread it was suggested I watch Made In Heaven on Amazon Prime (there’s a thread in other dramas). It’s about two high end wedding planners (one female straight, one gay male) in Delhi (set in 2017)- it’s half in Hindi and half English so you’ll need to make sure to read the subtitles. 

Omg it was SO GOOD!! If you want delicious juicy soapy drama with gorgeous people and weddings please watch. I had my Mom watch and we watched together in two days. The writing was so well done, the characters were so complex- I’m said I have to wait for season 2. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Oh, I know! I couldn't do ANY of the religion part of it..I just  would have liked the free babysitting, only having to have to cook once every few days, and I could have used a break from my horn dog husband (back in the day.)    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(But in reality,I wouldn't want to share my husband) 😁

That’s why when I was much younger I thought living in a commune would be cool. Built-in friends, babysitters, help with chores, but you still got to keep your relationship with your husband (in my fantasy commune). 

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 7