Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

Lookeyloo:  as many of our friends here , I am including your family in my prayers.  Our own Dr Doodlebug is right that Mary knows what it is like to see a son suffer.  I will include your family in my rosary.

May I ask for prayers and good thoughts for my dearest friend, ML?  We’ve known each other since 9th grade algebra math.  ML was recently diagnosed with Stage 2b breast cancer.  I convinced her to get a second opinion at a regional office of one of the country’s leading cancer centers.  She followed my advice, and will be receiving her treatment there.  Her first chemo treatment is Friday. She’ll have chemo before having the lump removed

Tonight several of our mutual friends took her out for some pre-chemo ice cream and tomorrow night we will go over her house tomorrow evening for some additional ice cream.  It does have some magical healing properties.

Thank you for your prayers. I’ll pray for your friend.  

• Love 6

Question for anyone on Facebook...I suspect this is a somewhat elaborate phishing attempt, but I happened to notice that there were more messages than I realized from someone I've had a few attempts from at sending notifications - just a handful over a few years, and I thought I had deleted them, but evidently not, and they include some incriminating "information", including a picture of Mr Jyn, which has the background of one of our bedrooms, but, given how camera-shy he is, let's say I can't imagine how it was taken. Could potentially be photo-shopped, but I can't place any photos I know of that it could have been made from. Has anyone else ever gotten anything like this?

I would delete and block. Also if you do anything involving your finances on your device clear out the history, data and cookies and change your passwords. There’s been a bunch of new scams lately where they claim they have hacked your email or FB and try to blackmail you, claiming they have embarrassing information. It’s not that hard once a hacker is into one account to use it to contact their contacts.

If you do use your device for your finances, you might want to research putting fraud alerts on your information at the credit bureaus. It’s not as draconian as a credit freeze and it’s easier to do...it can be done online with one and they’ll inform the other two. It lasts a year and it’s free.

I just did that because in the nightmare that was settling my mother’s estate, my financial information was sent pretty much everywhere. Way too many now people know my ID details, my finances, my age, and that I am grieving. On paper, I’m a scammer’s dream target.

• Useful 12
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Question for anyone on Facebook...I suspect this is a somewhat elaborate phishing attempt, but I happened to notice that there were more messages than I realized from someone I've had a few attempts from at sending notifications - just a handful over a few years, and I thought I had deleted them, but evidently not, and they include some incriminating "information", including a picture of Mr Jyn, which has the background of one of our bedrooms, but, given how camera-shy he is, let's say I can't imagine how it was taken. Could potentially be photo-shopped, but I can't place any photos I know of that it could have been made from. Has anyone else ever gotten anything like this?

That sounds less like a phishing attempt to me than a poison pen letter, though I could be wrong. Not sure I get phishing stuff on FB. Most of my phishing stuff are pretty obviously fake emails. If it is a phishing attempt, it seems like a very targeted one. 😞

Does it seem like they come from a real FB account or a burner one?

I had a friend who was on the receiving end of some anonymous poison pen letters that were mailed to her. They were mailed to a bunch of people with accusations of adultery. Come to find out, one of the people who claimed to receive one was the one sending all of them, and she was friends with my friend. (Not anymore.) I guess she feared that her affair was going to be revealed, so she decided to just burn everyone down with her and make herself seem like a victim, so nobody suspected her. It was weird. 

P.S. Do everything that @Oldernowiser says. Regardless of the person's intentions, it's definitely creepy and invasive. If you block them, you won't get anymore from that account.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

I’m a dream target as well, but mostly because ADD.  And that whole Pollyanna thing I have going on.  My husband asked me last night where was my purse (I had one of his credit cards).  I said “oh, in the car, I think”.  It was.  With the keys.  Sure, my whole road is mostly family, but that doesn’t mean other people CAN’T come through.  
I haven’t been scammed yet (and @Jynnan tonnix, this sounds pretty elaborate!), but our credit cards have been messed with several times.  That’s always fun.  And a couple years ago, someone called from the “IRS” to tell me I had filed short and there was a penalty and I needed to provide them X dollars before they froze all my accounts.  Worst accent EVVVER.  I could hardly understand the.  I said “where ARE you???”  At the IRS.  Ooooookay.  Where IS that?  What continent?  What street are you on?  In what town? This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.  You’re REALLY bad at this.  Listen, hang up and practice before you try this again, ok?  [they've been trying to yell over me the whole time, and by now are yelling “YOU MUSSSSS PAYYY DEEEESE!!!!!].  Really.  No kidding, you suck.  Bye!!

but then, after you hang up, there’s that little niggle behind your right ear going “what if that really was....”

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I’m a dream target as well, but mostly because ADD.  And that whole Pollyanna thing I have going on.  My husband asked me last night where was my purse (I had one of his credit cards).  I said “oh, in the car, I think”.  It was.  With the keys.  Sure, my whole road is mostly family, but that doesn’t mean other people CAN’T come through.  
I haven’t been scammed yet (and @Jynnan tonnix, this sounds pretty elaborate!), but our credit cards have been messed with several times.  That’s always fun.  And a couple years ago, someone called from the “IRS” to tell me I had filed short and there was a penalty and I needed to provide them X dollars before they froze all my accounts.  Worst accent EVVVER.  I could hardly understand the.  I said “where ARE you???”  At the IRS.  Ooooookay.  Where IS that?  What continent?  What street are you on?  In what town? This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.  You’re REALLY bad at this.  Listen, hang up and practice before you try this again, ok?  [they've been trying to yell over me the whole time, and by now are yelling “YOU MUSSSSS PAYYY DEEEESE!!!!!].  Really.  No kidding, you suck.  Bye!!

but then, after you hang up, there’s that little niggle behind your right ear going “what if that really was....”

I keep getting phone calls about the loan on my car. I paid for that in cash, scammer! LOL

FWIW, I know from personal experience, the IRS totally sends you a very official, tersely worded letter as initial contact. (This is what happens when you accidentally pay for the current year and not the previous year.)

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

That sounds less like a phishing attempt to me than a poison pen letter, though I could be wrong. Not sure I get phishing stuff on FB. Most of my phishing stuff are pretty obviously fake emails. If it is a phishing attempt, it seems like a very targeted one. 😞

Does it seem like they come from a real FB account or a burner one?

I had a friend who was on the receiving end of some anonymous poison pen letters that were mailed to her. They were mailed to a bunch of people with accusations of adultery. Come to find out, one of the people who claimed to receive one was the one sending all of them, and she was friends with my friend. (Not anymore.) I guess she feared that her affair was going to be revealed, so she decided to just burn everyone down with her and make herself seem like a victim, so nobody suspected her. It was weird. 

P.S. Do everything that @Oldernowiser says. Regardless of the person's intentions, it's definitely creepy and invasive. If you block them, you won't get anymore from that account.

I called it phishing since I don't know what other types of scams are out there. Never heard of a poison pen letter, though. I have not, and will not answer it in any way, but since it's apparently been languishing back in my FB files for a few years now, I doubt it's anything which can come out of hiding to affect me as long as I keep ignoring. 

Ah, well...I'm off for my colonoscopy in a few minutes, so not going to put any extra thought into it right now. 

• Love 9

We once got a call from our credit card company asking if we were in a bar in Tokyo, as apparently someone was using our card details to try to pay their tab. We were in Maine. At home.

Okay, so from the Dark Humor Department...customer service nightmares from my mother’s estate. The company that managed her county IRA was beyond belief. They sent me two different forms that seemed to accomplish the same thing...but were to be sent to two different states. So the phone calls began. I talked to four different people at Customer Service and couldn’t get an answer. I finally got an actual name and direct line...I called her. While I was on the line, she sent an email to her manager outlining the problems I was having and asking to have my call escalated. Two minutes after hanging up she sent me an email...saying her manager said to call Customer Service. Oooookay.

But the all-time worst...same company... I tell customer service rep why I am calling, including my mother’s account number and day of her death. Not three sentences later, he said, “And is your mother there on the call with you now?”  

SERIOUSLY????

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I called it phishing since I don't know what other types of scams are out there. Never heard of a poison pen letter, though. I have not, and will not answer it in any way, but since it's apparently been languishing back in my FB files for a few years now, I doubt it's anything which can come out of hiding to affect me as long as I keep ignoring. 

Ah, well...I'm off for my colonoscopy in a few minutes, so not going to put any extra thought into it right now. 

That's the best way to handle it. I'd venture to say more than anything the person wanted a reaction (that's what the person who did that to my friend wanted), and by ignoring it, you deprived them of that and avoided playing into their hands.

Hope your appointment goes well!

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

I rarely post on FB.  I've put very little personal information on my profile.  I use my nickname and my profile picture is a cute shot of one of my dogs.  Never filled in anything to indicate marital status.  A few weeks ago, I started getting "friend" requests from men I didn't know.  Most of them were (supposedly) from very nice looking men on another continent.  Some sent a short message as to how attractive I was in my profile picture.  Others were apparently led to pray for me and wanted me to accept their request quickly so they could know my specific prayer needs.  Most were just requests with no introduction or explanation.

I enjoyed blocking each and every one of them, but it makes me sad and angry that they continue with this scam because there are people who fall for it.  I know people who automatically accept any friend request, partly because they like to brag about how many "friends" they have.

A friend of mine almost fell for a different scam just last week.  She's not super old (65), college educated, retired from a high powered career, and happily married with several adult children and grandchildren.  Hardly a lonely, vulnerable senior citizen.  However, she answered a phone call because caller ID gave the name of her cable company, and talked to a very nice man who indicated he needed to trouble shoot a problem with her internet.  She was turning on her computer when it FORTUNATELY dawned on her that this guy was about to take control of her machine and have access to all of her personal information.  

I don't answer my phone unless it's a number already in my contact list.  Yes, I've missed some legitimate calls this way, but a legitimate caller will leave a message and I can return the call.  

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

they include some incriminating "information", including a picture of Mr Jyn, which has the background of one of our bedrooms, but, given how camera-shy he is, let's say I can't imagine how it was taken. Could potentially be photo-shopped, but I can't place any photos I know of that it could have been made from

Does it look like something taken from the webcam of one of your devices or does it look like a posed photo? Could be that someone hacked the webcam. Have you asked your husband about it?

This is very creepy, @Jynnan tonnix -- sorry you're having to deal with it!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, MonicaM said:

A friend of mine almost fell for a different scam just last week.  She's not super old (65), college educated, retired from a high powered career, and happily married with several adult children and grandchildren.  Hardly a lonely, vulnerable senior citizen.  However, she answered a phone call because caller ID gave the name of her cable company, and talked to a very nice man who indicated he needed to trouble shoot a problem with her internet.  She was turning on her computer when it FORTUNATELY dawned on her that this guy was about to take control of her machine and have access to all of her personal information.  

This is the reason I’m so glad my mother will have nothing to do with “that internet.” Unlike your savvy friend, @MonicaM, my mother would have gone along right with it. She would probably also she send her bank information over the phone to the “IRS.” I just cross my fingers and hope she calls me or my brother before doing anything foolish.

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

I don't answer my phone unless it's a number already in my contact list.  Yes, I've missed some legitimate calls this way, but a legitimate caller will leave a message and I can return the call.  

TBH I'm happy to pay the cost of keeping my landline. Because it's the number I give out to businesses and use when ordering, etc. I rarely give my mobile number to any business. So all the cr*p and scam calls go to the landline, yay!. And like you, I don't answer the phone unless it's a number I recognize. 

These scammers and robocallers are sly. They spoof numbers so that your incoming caller ID displays a phone number with the same area code and three-digit prefix as your own number because yeah even if you don't recognize it, it looks like it could be legit from someone in the 'hood. Sigh. I have signed up at nomorobo for my landline, which does kill some of the robocalls before they get through. Those calls make the phone ring once and then they are blocked. My landline phone also can store up to 250 numbers to block, and that's fun too. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Does it look like something taken from the webcam of one of your devices or does it look like a posed photo? Could be that someone hacked the webcam. Have you asked your husband about it?

I'm going to ask him about it sometime. We don't really have anything with webcams to hack. This looks as though it was taken in the mirror over the dresser in the spare bedroom, with him taking the photo on his cell phone. Very creepy, and I don't know what to make of it. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

TBH I'm happy to pay the cost of keeping my landline. Because it's the number I give out to businesses and use when ordering, etc. I rarely give my mobile number to any business. So all the cr*p and scam calls go to the landline, yay!. And like you, I don't answer the phone unless it's a number I recognize. 

These scammers and robocallers are sly. They spoof numbers so that your incoming caller ID displays a phone number with the same area code and three-digit prefix as your own number because yeah even if you don't recognize it, it looks like it could be legit from someone in the 'hood. Sigh. I have signed up at nomorobo for my landline, which does kill some of the robocalls before they get through. Those calls make the phone ring once and then they are blocked. My landline phone also can store up to 250 numbers to block, and that's fun too. 

I have a Panasonic phone with 3 extra handsets for my home phone.  The handsets have a "block" button them.  You can block the caller before, during, or after the call.  I love it.  I also use OOMA for my land line service.  It is a VIOP service and it works very well for me.  It also has a great call block feature.  I truly get very few spam calls.  If I do get one, I just push the Block button!  I have NOMOROBO on my cell phone and I have been very pleased with how few "bad" calls I receive.  Isn't it a shame that we have to go to such lengths to prevent unwanted calls?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I play Words with Friends with random people and occasionally they try and start a conversation. I never reply or even look at the message. Half the time the person, usually a guy based on their user name, then resigns from the game. So there are people everywhere that try and engage with you. 

And yes, the IRS never calls people. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm going to ask him about it sometime. We don't really have anything with webcams to hack. This looks as though it was taken in the mirror over the dresser in the spare bedroom, with him taking the photo on his cell phone. Very creepy, and I don't know what to make of it. 

Has anyone been in your home recently that you’re aware of? Repair people, cleaners, friends, friends of friends, yard service, etc.?

• Love 1

I don't answer my phone unless it is one of my contacts or a business I have previously contacted.  I contributed money to a political campaign and the amount of emails, texts, and phone calls I have received has made me reconsider donating any more money.  I started to block the numbers that text me, because I just cannot do it anymore.  I have tried to tell them that I cannot ethically do anything more to help the candidate with my job, but telling one volunteer does nothing to stop other volunteers from contacting me on their shift.  This is on top of the other scam calls that you just cannot get rid of.  Apps like NOMOROBO may help lessen the frequency, but the technology is too advanced to do anything.  

Back in 2012 someone gave a fake phone number to the Obama campaign and well that fake number happened to be my landline.  Every 4 days I would get a call no matter how many times I told them wrong number it would still happen.  I know it's volunteers just doing their jobs, but I was ready to unplug the phone.  

craziness in my small and rural neighborhood today - one neighbor age 50 shoots and kills his girlfriend, age 60, because "he just couldn't stand living with her any more"  - geez dude were there no other options??

and then community garden where people rent spaces to grow vegetables, some person or persons stole every single vegetable last night.

my faith in humanity is at an all time low today

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't answer my phone unless it is one of my contacts or a business I have previously contacted.  I contributed money to a political campaign and the amount of emails, texts, and phone calls I have received has made me reconsider donating any more money.  I started to block the numbers that text me, because I just cannot do it anymore.  I have tried to tell them that I cannot ethically do anything more to help the candidate with my job, but telling one volunteer does nothing to stop other volunteers from contacting me on their shift.  This is on top of the other scam calls that you just cannot get rid of.  Apps like NOMOROBO may help lessen the frequency, but the technology is too advanced to do anything.  

Back in 2012 someone gave a fake phone number to the Obama campaign and well that fake number happened to be my landline.  Every 4 days I would get a call no matter how many times I told them wrong number it would still happen.  I know it's volunteers just doing their jobs, but I was ready to unplug the phone.  

I had one political group calling me. I ask to be taken of the list  but they kept calling.  I told one person if they called be again going to donate money to their opposition.  She was not happy,  in fact offended by that response. I told her I had asked to be taken off their call list and yet here she was calling again. I never received a call from them after that.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

Like, @CalicoKitty I have nomorobo on my cell and just recently also got it for our land line (which is VOIP). Life-changing in terms of how many crap calls are screened out. No more fake voices informing us our Microsoft OS has been compromised (which would be a trick, since we haven't had PCs in the house for more than a decade) or our car warranty is due for renewal (it isn't).

Nice to "see" you again, @Christina87. I tip my hat to anyone involved in education these days, online or otherwise.

Here in the Bay Area, we haven't seen the sun since Monday. Today, the sky is merely brown and yellow, rather than the orange it was yesterday. Beyond bizarre.

• Love 6

So I came home from work, sit down to fire up the Netflix and couldn't connect.   My TV was not connecting to the internet.   I do the usual troubleshooting.  That doesn't work.  I call my cable provider and wait 20 minutes to get a person.  Spent another 20 minutes and while the girl swears its working on their end, but here it's not.  Only solution is for them to send someone out, but earliest appointment is Sunday.   And it may or may not cost me 60 bucks for this visit.  

So now I get to spend the next 2 days without internet.   

2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Hi everyone! Long time no talk...I have been swamped! We went back to school on August 3 for two weeks of orientation, and then the kids came. To say it has been exhausting is an understatement! Mercifully, my school chose to go all virtual the first nine weeks, and I love a lot of things about it. I am a lot less physically tired, and I feel like I am actually getting to teach, instead of spending so much energy managing behaviors! It’s awesome because if someone does not cooperate, I can just mute them and go about my day! Also, our elective classes are optional, but most of the kids have actually been showing up! It’s great, because it’s the kids who really want to be there, plus a few with strict parents. I love it! The kids are so engaged and pleasant, and I feel like we get to have such good discussions without the two or three distractors at the back! I’ve also been getting to try some cool things I have always wanted to do, but haven’t been able to get computers for.

On the other hand, it’s seriously exhausting! I’ve been getting so many headaches from being online all day, and my eyes are so tired. We have to adapt everything to be internet friendly, which takes a lot of time! I’ve been going to bed by 8, or 9 at the latest each night, and I’ve been truly forcing myself to stay up! It’s not even 6, and I could seriously go now. Also, things change sooooo much, and it’s hard to keep up with all the new expectations.

While I’m glad we’re virtual for now, it’s exhausting either way! There is really no good answer right now. I’m just glad I can help educate my little corner of the world, and reach learners who are really enthusiastic about it! I feel like I’m actually doing some of my best teaching, since I can put all my effort towards that and not behaviors. 

@lookeyloo you are in my prayers ❤️

Hey @Christina87- have you tried blue light glasses? I am a contact wearer 90% of the time but I got new glasses with the blue light and I can really tell a difference when I wear them. Sorry your eyes are tired! I know what that’s like. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I hate linked in. It’s as bad with ads as Facebook. I should just delete my account right?

I have linkdin, but I really don't understand it's purpose. I even paid for an upgrade when I graduated and was looking for a job, but that was just money wasted.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

@Christina87, so good to hear from you and that the distance learning is working for the most part for you! Having a change from the strictly academic subjects to the arts must be wonderful for your students. Hope your headaches and exhaustion subside. 

@lookeyloo, glad your son was released and I sure hope his pain will lesson. Being away from the 24 hour bustle of the hospital will hopefully improve his tiredness, too. Yours, and his partner’s care will be great medicine, I’m sure.

• Love 5

@lookeyloo, I'm so glad your son has been released. I too hope he will soon be in less pain. Please remember that you are important here too and take care of yourself. I know from experience in this situation that it is easy to forgot about that and just keep going until you are on empty. I would tell you to take all assistance offered but with the Covid situation that is probably not possible, so rest, eat, and get all the sleep you can. I am praying for your whole family and wish all of you peace, love and comfort. Virtual hug and much love. Janet

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, jjane said:

@lookeyloo, I'm so glad your son has been released. I too hope he will soon be in less pain. Please remember that you are important here too and take care of yourself. I know from experience in this situation that it is easy to forgot about that and just keep going until you are on empty. I would tell you to take all assistance offered but with the Covid situation that is probably not possible, so rest, eat, and get all the sleep you can. I am praying for your whole family and wish all of you peace, love and comfort. Virtual hug and much love. Janet

thank you and to everyone else.  I do understand taking care of myself so I am in better shape to take care of him.  I do what I can when i can.  I have taken my continuing education last year and this year primarily on self care and grief.  there's just no getting around it.  

Keeping the 9/11 issue in my mind too.  I remember where I was and of course how horrifying.

• Love 12

I keep getting texts from people wanting to buy my property.  But the address they claim they are interested in might be a real address in my area, but certainly nothing I own.  Sometimes they call me by a first name (not my own, nor the name of anyone I know), other times the text is more general.  "I'm so and so and I'm interested in buying ### such and such street, my town."

The names, numbers, and addresses are always different.  The numbers they call from are always different.

I don't respond to the texts, but I can't help but wonder what they're after.

21 hours ago, rue721 said:

When i saw both the Pope and Bill Gates had a piece of duct tape over the webcam on their laptops, I figured it was good enough for me.

When I first got my iPhone (a company phone provided by my employer), I kept getting texts and phone messages for someone who was not me.  This included some rather crude greetings from various gentlemen.  One guy who was looking to talk to her seemed legit, so I texted back that I was not her and he verified that my new phone number was her old one.  Around the same time,  bill collectors for various credit cards as well as the utility companies started calling and leaving messages wanting to discuss her account.  Obviously, she didn't notify anyone of her new number since she was a deadbeat.  Eventually, they stopped calling.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

When i saw both the Pope and Bill Gates had a piece of duct tape over the webcam on their laptops, I figured it was good enough for me.

I cover mine too.  And then when someone wants to Face time me, I have to remember to move it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Any business, including a political campaign that sends you texts, has to quit sending you unsolicited texts if you text the word 'STOP' in reply to the text.

Businesses, and especially these days, political campaigns, are not going to risk alienating you and they have plenty of other people to bother who might even donate, so it saves everyone time if they don't text someone who isn't going to fork over some cash.

That being said, a couple months ago, Lindsey Graham's senate campaign got the impression I was a supporter.  I don't even live in SC, nor, if I did, would I be sending him money.  For a while, I found the messages kinda ironic and would sometimes text back smart-aleck replies about when I might be able to write a check. Eventually, after receiving multiple messages in a day, I text the magic 'STOP' to them and they went away.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 5

29 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I use a smallish sized Band Aid.  No cutting or fitting required.  I thought possibly I was being a bit too paranoid, but I guess not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Any business, including a political campaign that sends you texts, has to quit sending you unsolicited texts if you text the word 'STOP' in reply to the text.

Businesses, and especially these days, political campaigns, are not going to risk alienating you and they have plenty of other people to bother who might even donate, so it saves everyone time if they don't text someone who isn't going to fork over some cash.

That being said, a couple months ago, Lindsey Graham's senate campaign got the impression I was a supporter.  I don't even live in SC, nor, if I did, would I be sending him money.  For a while, I found the messages kinda ironic and would sometimes text back smart-aleck replies about when I might be able to write a check. Eventually, after receiving multiple messages in a day, I text the magic 'STOP' to them and they went away.

I didn't know that about texts specifically.  I have been burned before with emails and clicking unsuscribe seems to only unsuscribe you for a year or so.

In other news, Reason #986 why we are all going to die from Covid in America--my employee who has been out this week waiting for her adult son who lives with her to get tested, decided that if she had to quarantine at home next week, then she should knock out a few appointments at the same time.  I'm thrilled she called me to inform that both she and her son tested negative, so she can get back to work, but really???  She only works 16 hours a week, and could have scheduled those appointments on her off hours.  

• Love 4

So, the webcams on computers are taking things in even if they are not turned on? I never use mine, and wouldn't know how. I use the one on my phone, but have a tendency to leave my phone either stuck in my pocketbook with a flat battery, or have it charging up on my nightstand, then forget to take it with me when I go out. I'm so not a cell phone person! Or a techie of any stripe, really. Outside of a bit of social media, this forum, and maybe Netflix or You Tube, I don't really use any electronics. I don't even know how to reliably turn on the TV anymore, there are so many options of things to push.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

So, the webcams on computers are taking things in even if they are not turned on? I never use mine, and wouldn't know how. I use the one on my phone, but have a tendency to leave my phone either stuck in my pocketbook with a flat battery, or have it charging up on my nightstand, then forget to take it with me when I go out. I'm so not a cell phone person! Or a techie of any stripe, really. Outside of a bit of social media, this forum, and maybe Netflix or You Tube, I don't really use any electronics. I don't even know how to reliably turn on the TV anymore, there are so many options of things to push.

Apparently, webcams can be hacked.  Now with your smartphone, the phone is almost always recording ambient sound just like any smart device like an Alexa in your house.  This is supposed to be used to help software developers better understand human voices for things like Siri or Alexa.  Amazon, Apple and Google all do it and it's supposed to be protected.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Apparently, webcams can be hacked.  Now with your smartphone, the phone is almost always recording ambient sound just like any smart device like an Alexa in your house.  This is supposed to be used to help software developers better understand human voices for things like Siri or Alexa.  Amazon, Apple and Google all do it and it's supposed to be protected.

We think the iPhones listen. We can be talking about a product and then we start getting ads for that product. That is without any googling or searching. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

We think the iPhones listen. We can be talking about a product and then we start getting ads for that product. That is without any googling or searching. 

I've noticed this, too.  I also have an Alexa and have noticed that the ads seem to change based on ambient conversation that the little buggers pick up.  Maybe I'm just paranoid.  Amazon claims Alexa listens when its name is mentioned but stops if there is no command within a set period.  However, I swear I've mentioned home repairs or needing a new winter coat and suddenly got inundated with ads in those veins.

We know iPhones are passively listening all the time waiting for 'Siri' to be called.  There seems to be a lot of media reports out there about people deliberately planting an idea and then getting inundated with ads pertaining to their idea.  Apparently this happened more often with earlier iPhones.  Apple, of course, hasn't admitted it; but it seems like there are a lot of coincidental ads being sent to people if the iPhone isn't listening and connecting to relevant ads.

• Love 3

Dear @lookeyloo. I hope you didn't think I was telling you something you didn't already know. I was simply expressing the hope that you remember your own needs no matter how busy you are with your son. You seem to be such a loving and caring parent and I understand the feeling that doing things for yourself is a betrayal of the family member that needs you. Sorry, my past feelings from being in the same situation took over. Love, Janet. 

• Love 7

All our devices track us in some way. If you have location set to on, on your phone, you'll get ads for stores you've recently been too. Cable boxes, phones and Alexa type devices supposedly pick up key product words, and maybe even conversations. Any screen with a camera can be hacked. 

And Google keeps track of everything and knows who we are, what devices we have and what are interest are. All very 1984 and too creepy if I think about it hard enough.

When I watch a movie or follow a crime story and they search the criminal's electronics, I laugh and say to my husband, the only conclusion they'd come to after searching my electronics, is no conclusion at all, just total confusion. lol

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 9
46 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I've noticed this, too.  I also have an Alexa and have noticed that the ads seem to change based on ambient conversation that the little buggers pick up.  Maybe I'm just paranoid.  Amazon claims Alexa listens when its name is mentioned but stops if there is no command within a set period.  However, I swear I've mentioned home repairs or needing a new winter coat and suddenly got inundated with ads in those veins.

We know iPhones are passively listening all the time waiting for 'Siri' to be called.  There seems to be a lot of media reports out there about people deliberately planting an idea and then getting inundated with ads pertaining to their idea.  Apparently this happened more often with earlier iPhones.  Apple, of course, hasn't admitted it; but it seems like there are a lot of coincidental ads being sent to people if the iPhone isn't listening and connecting to relevant ads.

And I have Siri turned off and don’t have any Alexa or echo devices

• Love 3