Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Life feels different on vacation. I started my day reading Harry Potter fan fiction not suitable for children🥳, watched Cheaters on VH1 and now I’m watching Hallmark until I have to take care of my sister (she’s on second shift lol). Yay for relaxing. 

Revel in it, hon. You’ve so earned it!

• Love 8

Four great-grandmothers are going camping in September, three friends and me. Two of us are trying out van-camping,, one has just bought a pup-tent, and one already owns a 16-person tent from a previous family camping adventure. (She originally claimed she had a 16-room tent!) Should be a good time!

• Love 14

After 3 15 hour work days this week, I snapped and booked a week at the coast in late Sept. It's contactless check in and I'll drive (8+ hours, Texas is a huge state), so it should be pretty safe. It's just the Gulf, but it's salt air and sand and a condo right on the beach. I'm also stopping by my favorite bakery in Austin on the way down so I'll be stocked with sweets. I can't wait!

• Love 24

Doodlebug:  I loved your comment about dad buying candy after Mass on Sunday.  We got candy, too (but only if we had behaved during mass).   Dad would stop to pick up rolls and candy.  We had to stay in the car, so no choices.  I do remember those days.  A Hershey bar or bag of M&Ms was a nickel, so Dad maybe spent 25 or 30 cents.  

I do treat myself to the occasional bag of M&Ms these days (after I watch mass on my computer), but the small bag is over a dollar.  I have been known to dig through the bin at CVS to find the package marked “emotional support candy”.

This afternoon I showed up at my friends house for her husband’s birthday party, only to discover it’s tomorrow!  Oh well...good thing that she only lives about 3 miles away.

Hope everyone has a great, safe Labor Day weekend!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

@marypat57, I’ve done that. Mr. Dance and I showed up at a house party an entire week before the real party. Embarrassing. To make it worse, it was a pot luck and we had a hot entree with us at the door. We all had a good laugh and came back the next week (with a new dish to share.)

• Love 3

Did any of you read about the wedding in ME? 65 guests, apparently at least one guest was sick with the coronavirus. Now nearly 150 folks are positive, some 200 miles away. Three deaths are also attributed to this wedding.  This virus is so stealth, you just never know who has it.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Did any of you read about the wedding in ME? 65 guests, apparently at least one guest was sick with the coronavirus. Now nearly 150 folks are positive, some 200 miles away. Three deaths are also attributed to this wedding.  This virus is so stealth, you just never know who has it.

I did. It’s terrible! People need to take the virus seriously!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, iwantcookies said:

I did. It’s terrible! People need to take the virus seriously!

I have a group of dear lady friends. We started out the pandemic with zooming and continued with online chats. Then outdoor (masked and distanced) groups of about 6. I went to a couple of those, but now that fall/winter is coming they are acting somewhat like the virus is gone and wanting to go to restaurants. On our endless chats, get togethers keep coming up and I've stopped responding to the plans. They know I'm going to say no, but I feel like they think I'm overreacting. And these are bright, aware women! They do wear masks, but my feeling is that you have to remove them to eat and drink, so no, I'm not going to a restaurant, even outdoor seating. If I was going to break social distancing, it would be to see my grandkids, whom I haven't seen in 7 months. But I'm not going to do that. I'm banking on having a future with them. The fact that seeing them requires a trip to another (less safe) state and a stay in a hotel is what has kept us from going there. I will see Mom for her 90th b'day, but all of us "kids" are going on different days and staying masked. She deserves a big party, but that isn't going to happen this year. 

• Love 20
48 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I have a group of dear lady friends. We started out the pandemic with zooming and continued with online chats. Then outdoor (masked and distanced) groups of about 6. I went to a couple of those, but now that fall/winter is coming they are acting somewhat like the virus is gone and wanting to go to restaurants. On our endless chats, get togethers keep coming up and I've stopped responding to the plans. They know I'm going to say no, but I feel like they think I'm overreacting. And these are bright, aware women! They do wear masks, but my feeling is that you have to remove them to eat and drink, so no, I'm not going to a restaurant, even outdoor seating. If I was going to break social distancing, it would be to see my grandkids, whom I haven't seen in 7 months. But I'm not going to do that. I'm banking on having a future with them. The fact that seeing them requires a trip to another (less safe) state and a stay in a hotel is what has kept us from going there. I will see Mom for her 90th b'day, but all of us "kids" are going on different days and staying masked. She deserves a big party, but that isn't going to happen this year. 

I'm with you BB. Many of the new spreads come from gatherings where everyone thinks they're safe. But in all but a few few instances, nobody really knows. I'm still taking all precautions.

• Love 13
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm with you BB. Many of the new spreads come from gatherings where everyone thinks they're safe. But in all but a few few instances, nobody really knows. I'm still taking all precautions.

Hey, I go out to work in a medical facility 5 days a week.  Granted, we don't have people coming to our building seeking evaluation for COVID, but I am still out in the world in contact with many different people.  I wear a surgical mask all day long as well as a face shield.  It is hot, uncomfortable and makes me sound like Darth Vader when I talk ('Luke, I am your faaahther'). I have gone out to eat at restaurants, seated outdoors and only with my sister and brother who also live alone.  My sister, however, is still going out and seeing friends.  She loves music and insists on going out to clubs, etc and, while she tells me she is careful, I know she isn't THAT careful.  She invited me to a Kentucky Derby party she and her friends were attending at a local establishment.  Now, this place set it up in the parking lot with spacing of the tables and TV's set up around the area; but, still.  I told her I forgot when she asked why I didn't come.  There's no point in explaining; she's of the opinion that the whole mask/social distancing thing is a political issue and she falls on the other side of the line than me. She also seems to think that, at 47, she is a young uberhealthy chick and wouldn't get sick even if she did catch it.  I keep telling her about all the young people I know who've had it and been sick in bed for weeks  as well as all the information out there about long term health problems associated with the infection.  In one ear and out the other. I just keep my fingers crossed and pray.  I realize no one can be 100% protected from this virus, but common sense is common sense.

• Love 17

My ex broke up with me the same week lockdowns began (we didn’t live together, in fact were long distance), and by Memorial Day or so, I had gotten too bored and lonely and made an account on Tinder. Well, I ended up going on in-person dates with 4 different guys. We were all pretty careful, and our dates were all outside, things like walks in the park or having a drink outside on a restaurant patio. The two men who I ended up hitting it off with, I did ultimately kiss. Then one of the men, who I had a special connection with, asked if I wanted to be exclusive — well, I did! So I broke it off with the other man, deleted Tinder, and my boyfriend and I have been seeing each other for 2-3 months now. Of course, we’re not socially distancing with each other anymore. We now hang out at each others’ houses or outdoors. Tonight, I’m finally going to get to meet his friends, at a socially distant BBQ. I’m excited, I’ve heard a lot about these friends and I also wasn’t sure if or when we’d be able to meet each others’ friends and family given the pandemic.

That said, I can’t really be as cautious as I’d like to be in other areas of my life, because my boss refused to shut down our office — it has literally NEVER been shut. I’m an accountant at an asset services firm and there is genuinely no reason for us not to work from home. But the boss’s whole social life revolves around her employees and so here we are. I also have a dog who needs to be walked at least 3-4 times a day, and since I live in a high rise in a city, that means a lot of time going up and down elevators, going to crowded parks, walking on crowded streets, etc.

The most difficult thing is that my parents are in their 60-70s and have some other risk factors, so they have been extremely, extremely careful, and have reduced their lives to the point that I’m really their only possible disease vector. They still want to see me, but we only interact outside. I have been going over there for dinner two nights a week on their porch. It’s actually fantastic! My relationship with them is better than ever. But I am dreading the weather getting cold. My dad wants us to social distance in the house, but how can we really have Christmas dinner that way? My mom doesn’t want me in the house at all, which tears us both up but also makes too much sense to deny. Anyway, it’s weighing on me.

We’re trying to do everything right but it’s really hard. And it makes me so angry that people like my boss are forcing me to include her and my coworkers in my bubble, making it unsafe for me to include my parents. Selfishness has been abounding lately and it’s really upsetting to see...but sometimes I’m selfish, too, like when I decided to date. So it’s hard to draw the line.

And I’m very worried about what this fall will bring.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

On our endless chats, get togethers keep coming up and I've stopped responding to the plans. They know I'm going to say no, but I feel like they think I'm overreacting. And these are bright, aware women! They do wear masks, but my feeling is that you have to remove them to eat and drink, so no, I'm not going to a restaurant, even outdoor seating.

On the news here yesterday someone (wish I could remember who but well known) was saying they had contracted COVID despite staying home almost all the time and following the rules.  He sat down and tried to figure out where he caught it.  He said the only possibility was that they had met friends at a restaurant twice.  Although they did wear masks, they took them off to eat.  They were outside and socially distanced from other diners, but were at a table with another couple.  It was enough for them to catch it from people who showed no sign of illness.  That's enough to keep me away from even outdoor dining.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

On the news here yesterday someone (wish I could remember who but well known) was saying they had contracted COVID despite staying home almost all the time and following the rules.  He sat down and tried to figure out where he caught it.  He said the only possibility was that they had met friends at a restaurant twice.  Although they did wear masks, they took them off to eat.  They were outside and socially distanced from other diners, but were at a table with another couple.  It was enough for them to catch it from people who showed no sign of illness.  That's enough to keep me away from even outdoor dining.

Maybe The Rock - Dwayne Johnson? He said he, his wife and two young daughters got it from "close family friends".

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, rue721 said:

.And I’m very worried about what this fall will bring.

We’re all just worried, aren’t we?  There have been 2 different times I have burst into tears and broken to pieces with my husband looking on in stunned amazement.  (This is NOT my typical behavior).  I think it will be really interesting to see what the holidays bring.  It’s like the twilight zone up close and personal.  

OTOH, WOOOOOW!!!!!  I’m amazed at you finding a pal during Covid.  Good for you!!!  

The fall.  I’m terrified.  Also the upcoming holidays.  Also the anniversary of the onset.  Are we going to read that anniversary as welp, here we are.  This is indeed our new normal.  

I’m a hugger.  I miss hugging.  And holding.  Leaning in close for secrets.  Play biting my grands on their necks.  I miss people’s faces.  I miss high fives.  I miss people feeling normal and just enjoying one another.  I hate chick FIL a bringing my dinner to my car in a bucket so I’m not required to touch them.

I just want my life back. 

• Love 15
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe The Rock - Dwayne Johnson? He said he, his wife and two young daughters got it from "close family friends".

I saw that, too.  It was someone else and memory has failed.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, and some seem to have decided that just because they are tired of it, that it’s over 😢.

• Love 5

@rue721 I’m so glad your new relationship is working out! You’re braver than me because I’m taking a vow of celibacy until numbers seriously go down or we have a vaccine; between these fools out here that don’t wash their hands, and are traveling here and there and everywhere- nope. You are not rubbing and breathing on me!!(I never see men any more, I was watching LoveCraft County and almost fainted from Jonathan Majors nude body)

Im comfortable with outdoor dining with my small group of friends, my mom and god mother (whos got terminal cancer, her stance is she wants to go out and see people as long as she’s able), I go get my nails done every few weeks (masked of course), and I’m WFH. I consider myself a careful person, and am limiting the number of ppl I come into contact with (no grocery stores after the restaurants opened up). My friends that took custody of their nephews were a great place to hang out because they were all WFH with no extended family coming in, but the boys are going back to in person school (which they need), so I won’t be headed back over there for a while.

I am debating if I want to get a massage on my bday (of course id be wearing a mask), I could use it. 

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

OTOH, WOOOOOW!!!!!  I’m amazed at you finding a pal during Covid.  Good for you!!!

Thanks 😊 He’s a wonderful guy. I wish it hadn’t been a pandemic that brought us together, but still — I’m glad that *something* did!

The thing about dating during covid is that it was surprisingly great. If any of you are thinking of it and feel physically safe enough to try, I definitely recommend it. The pace was slowed way, way down, and everyone was both more emotionally raw and more emotionally honest. Knowing that you’re not going to get physically intimate, you’re probably not even going to be indoors together for at least a few weeks (!) actually took a lot of pressure off. And everyone being frank that they were yearning for more human connection and that no, their life isn’t exciting/perfect/glamorous at the moment — that was a relief, too. I’m a modern, adult woman and that’s not what I expected, but hey, it turned out to be pretty nice!

And it was so refreshing to even just text with new people! I’ve been in close touch with my friends and family, and have interacted with my dog’s “playgroup” and my coworkers every day, but I missed (and miss!) all the acquaintances and strangers who were just always around and who I took for granted, just the random liveliness on the street. I even miss the cranks who show up to every public meeting and talk everyone’s ears off 😂

I’m actually surprised that I’ve coped with all this as well as I have. I mostly try to channel my fear into positive stuff that is really consuming and takes my mind off everything — like taking difficult professional (accounting) exams, applying to law school. But it’s still hard to fathom that this isn’t a change we’re going to have to put up with for a few weeks or months, it’s something we’re going to have to put up with for maybe a few YEARS. What is the future going to look like? When I let myself look up from my own little life, I start getting pretty scared. So then I look back down and try to just concentrate on the next thing on my to-do list. It’s all so tiny in the grand scheme but at least it gets me through the day.

I guess one thing about this horror show is that we’ve learned a lot about ourselves and about each other.

• Love 12

Congratulations on the new relationship @rue721.  My match subscription expired in March - right about the time all of this started and I didn't renew it.  Being in Georgia there are enough people not taking this seriously and I really don't want to date anyone who believes this is all a hoax. 

My employer is pretending this is not happening.  Not once have they told everyone that someone has tested positive.  They only tell the people working on the same floor.  In the beginning they would give the option for people to work from home for two weeks, but now they expect everyone except those who were around the person to continue coming into work. I realize they can't tell us the name of the person, but sometimes you see people who work for the same employer in the parking lot, and occasionally they get on the elevator with you, but you work on different floors.   I have been extremely disappointed about how they are handling this situation. 

I did go out to breakfast with my mom this morning and now I'm hoping we will both be OK. It was her first time in a restaurant since February.  I've gotten take out a few times since March, but it was also my first time eating in a restaurant since March. We got there early but by the time we left it was getting too busy for my taste.  

My love languages are quality time and physical touch.  Those are bad enough when you are single, but add to that the pandemic and it has been a rough six months.  I also never realized how often I smile when I see people until now I have no idea if someone is smiling or not when I see them.  I miss seeing faces.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Living life will never again have the same context as it did when I grew up. 

So true! We're in the During now. Everything before Covid is the Before and everything after will be the After. I can't wait for the After!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I read that he said that he and his family have been staying home since the lockdown and, of course, they have a huge home and yard and plenty of stuff to do and enough money to pay others to run errands etc. Like everyone else, they were missing the everyday stuff.  They had close friends who had kids around the same age as theirs who were supposedly also being careful. So, they decided to get together, share a meal, let the kids play together. If I'm not mistaken, he said they all went out and got tested and were negative (if you're rich, you can do this). They had their little party and, a few days after, their friends were sick and were positive.  Turns out they weren't as careful as they'd thought and it didn't occur to them that even a brief contact at the wrong time or place could have major consequences.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6

I just ordered a Grandpad today for my mom.  I decided against the Echo Show because it would require Mom to have a smart phone.  She is not capable of using a phone anymore, and I don't want random calls going to her.  She will talk to any telemarketer, and she even will talk to the taped calls.  She has been good about not agreeing to anything so far, but the danger is just too high that she will give information to someone she shouldn't.  The Grandpad is pricy, but it is a great product.  It is a tablet that comes with a charger, and it functions as a cell phone.  But I can control who can call her.  It has its own phone number, so I can either voice call or video call.  They also have an automatic answer feature, so if she forgets how to push the "answer' button, it will turn on anyway.  It also has lots and lots of games, if you have a relative that can play them (Mom can't).  The price seems kind of high, but then I realized that it isn't more than a smart phone.  I think this will be the easiest solution for my brother and me to keep an eye on her.  I had this service for my dad before he died, and it really does work well.  They have THE BEST customer service.  (Located in NE Iowa and Minnesota)  This quarantine business makes it so hard.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I LOVE wearing a mask. No more fake smiling. I am going to wear a mask forever. I do have asthma so I can use that as an excuse.

I don't mind it at all.  I'm thinking I'll never feel comfortable again around people without one.  I wonder how many colds didn't happen where people wore masks.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I don't mind it at all.  I'm thinking I'll never feel comfortable again around people without one.  I wonder how many colds didn't happen where people wore masks.

I haven’t had a cold since last November, and that is unheard of for me. They’re definitely working.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I am as concerned as anyone about the pandemic, but I have to admit that I'm not suffering as so many of you are.  First of all I WFH and that is going well. And maybe most important, I am an introvert whose life pre-pandemic was not filled with an active social life, travel and miscellaneous hilarity.  My daughter lives with me so my most important person is here and that helps too.

There are things I miss a lot but work takes a lot of my time and I stay busy otherwise.  This has been a tough year but I have a couple of things to be grateful for in 2020.  I adopted two kittens in January and it has been a joy watching them grow up and develop personalities.  The other thing I'm grateful for is the cataract surgery that has allowed me to be able to see to drive at night safely - without glasses!

I'm sorry that for many it is so much more of a trial.  I don't know what is going to happen any more than anyone else, but I think it the siege has a long way to go and that people losing patience and denying the danger could make the worse still to come.

ETA - I don't mind wearing a mask too much.  It's hot but it's good to hide behind when I don't bother with makeup.

Edited by Suzn
Addition
  • Love 16
13 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I am as concerned as anyone about the pandemic, but I have to admit that I'm not suffering as so many of you are.  First of all I WFH and that is going well. And maybe most important, I am an introvert whose life pre-pandemic was not filled with an active social life, travel and miscellaneous hilarity.  My daughter lives with me so my most important person is here and that helps too.

There are things I miss a lot but work takes a lot of my time and I stay busy otherwise.  This has been a tough year but I have a couple of things to be grateful for in 2020.  I adopted two kittens in January and it has been a joy watching them grow up and develop personalities.  The other thing I'm grateful for is the cataract surgery that has allowed me to be able to see to drive at night safely - without glasses!

I'm sorry that for many it is so much more of a trial.  I don't know what is going to happen any more than anyone else, but I think it the siege has a long way to go and that people losing patience and denying the danger could make the worse still to come.

ETA - I don't mind wearing a mask too much.  It's hot but it's good to hide behind when I don't bother with makeup.

I would like to say that for the most part, it has just been inconvenient for us.  We live close to the son we are caring for through his illness, and we are in the same bubble.  At first we relied on Instacart for groceries, but, after a couple of months, realized that an infrequent early morning run to one of the chains with good guidelines seemed okay.  We gave up the gym, even after they reopened, and we are walking in the hilly subdivision.  One of my quilting groups has met a few times on Zoom.  Not great but something.  we are retired and our pensions are secure.  

The really bad part is that we can't see the other son and wife, and grands in WA State.  We missed two visits with them already and Thanksgiving is looking like a no-go too.  Their state is doing better and their county is good so the two grands still in school are looking at maybe a day or two a week at school starting in October.  Since we are caring for other son here, we can't risk any of it.  Zoom and Face Time just aren't enough or good, in my opinion.  Makes me weepy.  

I just read something that unless mostly everyone wears a mask and practices social distancing, we are in for the long haul, with many more deaths on the horizon.  Very sad.

• Love 9

My biggest issue with wearing a mask is that I have gotten a bit hard of hearing over the years (and this is definitely something passed down in my dad's side of the family), and I never realized how much I relied on visual cues, as in a mild version of lip-reading, I had gotten dependent on, especially where there is any amount of ambient noise. I'm forever having to have people repeat things to me a good two or three times. I suppose I'll have to get my hearing tested and spring for hearing aids at some point. Without masks, I am generally fine, though.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My biggest issue with wearing a mask is that I have gotten a bit hard of hearing over the years (and this is definitely something passed down in my dad's side of the family), and I never realized how much I relied on visual cues, as in a mild version of lip-reading, I had gotten dependent on, especially where there is any amount of ambient noise. I'm forever having to have people repeat things to me a good two or three times. I suppose I'll have to get my hearing tested and spring for hearing aids at some point. Without masks, I am generally fine, though.

We've had this issue at the library with some of our patrons. I think my hearing is normal, but I have a hard time processing information I hear (versus reading). I hear it okay but feel sometimes like I'm listening to the adults in Charlie Brown. I have had this issue ever since i was a child, and I will admit the masks sometimes deprive me of context clues that help me follow along when someone is talking. I'm working on trying to pay better attention.

• Love 8
On 9/4/2020 at 6:47 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I might have to see if I can watch this this weekend and mix up a dirty martini or two. 

I stayed at my house this weekend. Still trying to get things fixed up, unpacked,  organized, etc. I forgot my ipad, so, didn’t spend too much time around here. It’s been a very relaxing and  laid back holiday weekend for me.  I’ve been binge watching The Affair and Mad Men. Second watch of Med Men.

• Love 6

@rue721, I am so happy for you that you have this special relationship. Enjoy!

I think Thanksgiving is weighing heavy for many of us. We have not been indoors at all with my family who live close by, and have only seen them for short periods of time distanced and with masks on outside. We haven’t been with the family who live up north since last year. We usually all gather together at our house and my daughter’s for the holiday week, but I can’t imagine us all being indoors together, let alone entertaining the northern gang overnight. It lays very heavy on my heart. I miss hugging our kids and grandkids so much.
And now even an inoculation that I have been wishing for so hard has become politicized. Sigh.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 10

I have worn a mask for about 10 years when flying and some other situations, my issue has always been my due to health issues my voice is also very weak and sometimes non existent, so I have trouble with people hearing me. I have learned sign language which of course, is only useful if the other person knows it as well

• Love 10

Oh Lord, this is my bad. Since the pandemic started keeping me at home so much, I've quit wearing my hearing aids. First, because I have a fairly mild hearing loss and can manage without the aids. Second, because what with wearing eyeglasses as well, my hearing aids (the kind with a small behind-the-ear unit and tiny clear tubes running down into the ear canal) easily get tangled up in the mask ear loops so taking off a mask will often mean a hearing aid comes right off along with it. Or halfway off and the behind the ear part dangles down from the tube if the tube hasn't been pulled out of my ear. Awkward. Especially since they are so little and light that I might not realize one is dangling or even dropped off right away. Ugh.

This discussion has sparked a decision that I'm going to resume wearing my hearing aids. It's not good for my long term situation to allow my brain to forget how to process the sounds that the aids pick up. 

Adulting is haaard. Whine. /sarcasm

My camping trip was a bust. When I planned it, it was close enough to this weekend that I could see the ten day weather forecasts for that area. Though Saturday would be in the mid 90s (with nights in the 50's), today was supposed to be in the 80's. Fine weather in the Colorado climate for sitting under a tree with a breeze off the lake and enjoying life. Well dammit! Yesterday was upper 90's, it was not a comfortable evening since I had a spot in the less comfy of the two park campgrounds (tonight I would be in the nicer one). Then when I saw that the forecast for the high today in that area was 106 freaking degrees? I noped right out and drove home as soon as I got packed up in the cool of this morning. 106F is just too hot for outdoor activities. Although the nights cool down nicely so that the night's camping would have been okay, I really didn't have a cool indoor place to spend the heat of the day. Now here at home, we have air full of smoke - and it truly smells like smoke - from the latest wildfire up north a ways. But I'm safe at home where it was NOT 106 degrees, lol,  and happy to be here. Hope I didn't get exposed to COVID while doing what I now consider an ill-advised short trip. Sigh.

@rue721 - thanks for sharing your news with us. I'm happy for you, and it's nice to hear a positive story.

• Love 11

I do miss family and friends, but, I can get through the holidays with faith a vaccine is on its way.  I fear that many will drop the ball around Thanksgiving and we’ll have a huge surge as a response.  If weather permits, I plan to spend some time masked out on the deck, but not eating food, as I don’t intend to take my mask off.  If others do, then, I’ll  have to stay at my house and not spend time with my parents. The only people that I am around maskless are my parents and 1 brother. 

I may drive to my sibling’s houses and stay in car and visit for a few minutes.  Whatever happens, I know it won’t be gathering with others inside for a meal. 

• Love 9

@Jeeves Sorry your camping was a bust, but you’ll be back out there again! I thought of you when I read about these used camper vans. For some reason the link isn’t working, but a company named Jucy rents camper vans and you can buy a used one.

My daughter in law has a problem with masks & glasses so she made the ear loops bigger, put a button on one loop & connects the loops on the back of her head. Not as easy as looping over the ears, but better than trying to tie something that falls too easily.

I won’t feel comfortable by Thanksgiving to celebrate indoors with extended family so my son and DIL offered to host just our immediate family.

• Love 5

@Jeeves, I think the intensity of this western heatwave has caught many of us by surprise. I don’t think you should blame yourself for bad planning, but you were VERY wise to head back home! I really hope you will be able to enjoy your next camping venture.

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do miss family and friends, but, I can get through the holidays with faith a vaccine is on its way.  I fear that many will drop the ball around Thanksgiving and we’ll have a huge surge as a response.  If weather permits, I plan to spend some time masked out on the deck, but not eating food, as I don’t intend to take my mask off.  If others do, then, I’ll  have to stay at my house and not spend time with my parents. The only people that I am around maskless are my parents and 1 brother. 

I may drive to my sibling’s houses and stay in car and visit for a few minutes.  Whatever happens, I know it won’t be gathering with others inside for a meal. 

I share your fear that we will get a surge after the holidays, smack in the center of flu season. We usually host for Thanksgiving; not this year. I have plans with my sister to get matching Christmas jammies and open presents over FaceTime on Christmas morning, if seeing other humans is still a thing, as I assume it will be.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I share your fear that we will get a surge after the holidays, smack in the center of flu season. We usually host for Thanksgiving; not this year. I have plans with my sister to get matching Christmas jammies and open presents over FaceTime on Christmas morning, if seeing other humans is still a thing, as I assume it will be.

That’s a great idea!  We can FT or have a zoom celebration!

I hope this link works.  I saw this online and thought it was so funny. 

18D67244-17D3-4879-A685-EFA05AF2A55B.jpeg

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I would like to say that for the most part, it has just been inconvenient for us.  We live close to the son we are caring for through his illness, and we are in the same bubble.  At first we relied on Instacart for groceries, but, after a couple of months, realized that an infrequent early morning run to one of the chains with good guidelines seemed okay.  We gave up the gym, even after they reopened, and we are walking in the hilly subdivision.  One of my quilting groups has met a few times on Zoom.  Not great but something.  we are retired and our pensions are secure.  

The really bad part is that we can't see the other son and wife, and grands in WA State.  We missed two visits with them already and Thanksgiving is looking like a no-go too.  Their state is doing better and their county is good so the two grands still in school are looking at maybe a day or two a week at school starting in October.  Since we are caring for other son here, we can't risk any of it.  Zoom and Face Time just aren't enough or good, in my opinion.  Makes me weepy.  

I just read something that unless mostly everyone wears a mask and practices social distancing, we are in for the long haul, with many more deaths on the horizon.  Very sad.

My dad and I were just talking about Thanksgiving tonight. We either go to my brother's or stay home if their going to his wife's aunt's for the Thanksgiving or if we're having bad days leading up to Thanksgiving. When its just us at home we usually had option between to restaurants we really like to order from. But realized tonight we probably need to come up with a plan C if just in case there's a shutdown at the time. My dad and I have been trying so hard since my mom passed away three years ago to try and make each holiday a good one for each other which isn't always easy. Last year Thanksgiving I had been up all night not having a good night that I was so tired during the meal that it wasn't really that great. I try to make the holidays great for my dad I feel guilty when I can't and he feels guilty when he can't. Also we don't really get that many visitors during the year or phone calls so Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter is really it when it comes to seeing someone other then the two of us. I know everyone says well there's always next year. But I still feel guilty that my parents missed what ended up being the last family Thanksgiving we all could have been together. My mom had her first stroke a few months later and what followed was two years of not going anywhere. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew would come over for Christmas Eve for about an hour and a half but that was it. Even thought we had food for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter it was more in shifts and not together. We still tried to make it the best we could but that was the best we could. There was no way to know Mom would have her stroke. But I worry about making my dad have to miss out on a last family Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter especially since I'm no closer to my medical problems being fixed then I was six years.  

11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I will put in another plug for Costco hearing tests (free for members) and hearing aids. I paid $1799 for both of them. They have Bluetooth!!  It was explained to me that If you wait too long to correct your hearing, your brain forgets how to process sound. I got mine in January but went last month to have the filters changed. I could do this myself but don’t. I made an appointment  and they were masked and face shielded. Again - highly recommend. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I will put in another plug for Costco hearing tests (free for members) and hearing aids. I paid $1799 for both of them. They have Bluetooth!!  It was explained to me that If you wait too long to correct your hearing, your brain forgets how to process sound. I got mine in January but went last month to have the filters changed. I could do this myself but don’t. I made an appointment  and they were masked and face shielded. Again - highly recommend. 

I'm also very happy with my Costco hearing aids and the whole experience of getting them. Mine are more than three years old and I'm overdue for a hearing test. I also paid $1799 but mine aren't bluetooth; I'm sure the technology has improved since I got mine. I think they expect the aids to last three or four years so I won't be surprised if mine cr*p out one of these days. 

My health care is (and has for years) been through a major HMO and I'm very pleased with it overall. One of my benefits has been hearing tests by certified audiologists which I started getting a dozen years ago. They showed some hearing loss but not until three years ago was it enough to where they recommended hearing aids. By then I was on Medicare (I chose to stay with my HMO via Medicare advantage). Even with a benefit of a few hundred bucks per ear, the cost of getting aids from my HMO was nearly $4000. 

So I went to Costco. Also tested by a certified audiologist, who (like the ones at my HMO) doesn't work on sales commissions. The test was just as thorough as the HMO, and the results the same. The hearing aids cost $1799. Yep. For the pair. I had a problem with one a few months in, it was replaced, easy peasy. I think I'd be nuts to go anywhere else for hearing tests and hearing aids if I have the choice of Costco.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6