Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I'm also very happy with my Costco hearing aids and the whole experience of getting them. Mine are more than three years old and I'm overdue for a hearing test. I also paid $1799 but mine aren't bluetooth; I'm sure the technology has improved since I got mine. I think they expect the aids to last three or four years so I won't be surprised if mine cr*p out one of these days. 

My health care is (and has for years) been through a major HMO and I'm very pleased with it overall. One of my benefits has been hearing tests by certified audiologists which I started getting a dozen years ago. They showed some hearing loss but not until three years ago was it enough to where they recommended hearing aids. By then I was on Medicare (I chose to stay with my HMO via Medicare advantage). Even with a benefit of a few hundred bucks per ear, the cost of getting aids from my HMO was nearly $4000. 

So I went to Costco. Also tested by a certified audiologist, who (like the ones at my HMO) doesn't work on sales commissions. The test was just as thorough as the HMO, and the results the same. The hearing aids cost $1799. Yep. For the pair. I had a problem with one a few months in, it was replaced, easy peasy. I think I'd be nuts to go anywhere else for hearing tests and hearing aids if I have the choice of Costco.

We have a friend who is an audiology doctor who works for the VA and he says the VA and Costco are the leading providers  of hearing aids. He came with me to my appointments (he also did this for his father) and was very impressed. They use the same software - logos different haha. It makes such a difference. If you can swing it the Bluetooth are great. Don’t need EarPods!!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

The mask definitely makes it hard to understand what people are saying. Muffles the voice for sure.

I have a speech impediment and a very thick accent from self isolating for so long. I end up doing a lot of self check-out and mobile app orders because people can't hear or understand what I'm saying.

They are developing clear masks. I have a few but the easiest ones to wear don't fully conform to guidelines as they don't pinch around the nose. However they work for when I'm doing in person therapy and all that. Telemedicine has been a bust so I said screw it. There are only a handful of clients who have returned to in-person sessions so I feel the risk is fairly low and each psychologist is capped on number of in-person patients anyway.

Legitimately glad I stated at my intake I wanted to go back to in-person as soon as the clinic was comfortable. It has done wonders for my mental health. I never really healed from all the trauma that happened this summer and I feel I'm finally on that path.

• Love 10

Jeeves:  I have been remiss in wearing my hearing aids, also.  I can manage without them, but I do notice the difference with them.   I particularly notice the difference when I'm listening to the radio in my car.  The audio volume numbers are at least 10 less when I wear the aids.  I'm due for a new set next winter and am thinking about the bluetooth ones.  My brother has the Costco ones, and swears by them.  I have the same problem with the aids falling out.  I lost one at Christmas time, and had to get it replaced.  I'm thinking of getting some wig tape (it"s double sided) and tape the aid behind my ear.....I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, my friend's birthday party was lovely.  It was a backyard party with a group of people I am very comfortable with.  One of my gifts to him was a listing of things that happened on the day he was born.  Since I have a digital subscription to the NY Times, I have access to all of their issues from the 1850s to present.  I've done this for other people, and it's also interesting to look at what happened on other important dates.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I will put in another plug for Costco hearing tests (free for members) and hearing aids. I paid $1799 for both of them. They have Bluetooth!!  It was explained to me that If you wait too long to correct your hearing, your brain forgets how to process sound. I got mine in January but went last month to have the filters changed. I could do this myself but don’t. I made an appointment  and they were masked and face shielded. Again - highly recommend. 

Consumer Reports rated Costco the highest for hearing aids this past year.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I wish I had known about the Costco option before my neighbor got his hearing aids. He was so stubborn and against getting them that he has never liked them. He states the sounds get tinny even though he has the option to adjust treble, bass etc on his phone. He is back at their place every month for tune ups. All to the tune of over 6k.

On another note, his initial chemo hasn’t worked out. So it’s a new infusion mix beginning later this month. More side effects. I’ll be taking him to the treatments. His biggest fear is losing his independence. We do take turns calling each other in the morning...well you understand. I know him well enough and stand aside on most things, but you bet your bippy that I’m over there every night at 5 to make sure all his meds have been taken and that we get a hot nutritious meal. (For those of you who don’t know he’s from Italy and is a superb chef. He has only allowed me to begin cooking a few months ago as he has less energy. He’ll be 80 In March. I’m his kitchen muse, sous chef, cleaner and listener to his crappy taste in music lol. 

Happy Labor Day to Everyone 

• Love 14
On 9/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, iwantcookies said:

I LOVE wearing a mask. No more fake smiling. I am going to wear a mask forever. I do have asthma so I can use that as an excuse.

Agree!  And no more worries at work if there’s something in my teeth while talking  with a patient!  I often have 2 seconds all day to shove food in my mouth and would worry it’s stuck there bc I’m in a rush!  

10 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

We have a friend who is an audiology doctor who works for the VA and he says the VA and Costco are the leading providers  of hearing aids. He came with me to my appointments (he also did this for his father) and was very impressed. They use the same software - logos different haha. It makes such a difference. If you can swing it the Bluetooth are great. Don’t need EarPods!!  

An audiology doctor, is that similar to a pediatrician doctor or a neurologist doctor?  Or algebra math?  Just kidding!  😁

• LOL 6
39 minutes ago, awaken said:

Agree!  And no more worries at work if there’s something in my teeth while talking  with a patient!  I often have 2 seconds all day to shove food in my mouth and would worry it’s stuck there bc I’m in a rush!  

An audiology doctor, is that similar to a pediatrician doctor or a neurologist doctor?  Or algebra math?  Just kidding!  😁

OMG it’s catching!!!  Too much of Jill. She is taking over my grammar. He is an audiologist. He probably did have to take algebra math along the way!!!!! Too funny. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 9/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Love2dance said:

@rue721, I am so happy for you that you have this special relationship. Enjoy!

I think Thanksgiving is weighing heavy for many of us. We have not been indoors at all with my family who live close by, and have only seen them for short periods of time distanced and with masks on outside. We haven’t been with the family who live up north since last year. We usually all gather together at our house and my daughter’s for the holiday week, but I can’t imagine us all being indoors together, let alone entertaining the northern gang overnight. It lays very heavy on my heart. I miss hugging our kids and grandkids so much.
And now even an inoculation that I have been wishing for so hard has become politicized. Sigh.

We have a few close family nearby and until recently, we did not meet with them.  I'm in Washington state and things opened up a bit in June.  So then my daughter resumed her once a week visit and dinner with us.  But differently!  No hugging and I seat her at opposite ends of the table from her dad, since he is nearly 70, diabetic and overweight.

Then shortly before the Fourth of July, my FIL was hospitalized with heart failure.  He died on the 5th of July.  I hosted a small celebration of life at our home; just five people, not counting our household, per our state's phase two guidance.

I thought people would wear masks unless eating but no one did. So neither did we.  Even my husband's brother, an anesthesiologist working with Covid-19 patients!

I held my breath for two weeks after, and we are all fine.

We have eaten at a Thai restaurant twice, but mostly get takeout, and not very often.  We have recently started taking drives again, to neighboring towns, visiting parks and eating in outdoor food courts.

We are also retired, and other than missing line dancing classes at the local senior center (which I loved), and missing all of the free concerts in the park that my city always has, which have all been cancelled, I'm fine at home!

On 9/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Love2dance said:

@rue721, I am so happy for you that you have this special relationship. Enjoy!

I think Thanksgiving is weighing heavy for many of us. We have not been indoors at all with my family who live close by, and have only seen them for short periods of time distanced and with masks on outside. We haven’t been with the family who live up north since last year. We usually all gather together at our house and my daughter’s for the holiday week, but I can’t imagine us all being indoors together, let alone entertaining the northern gang overnight. It lays very heavy on my heart. I miss hugging our kids and grandkids so much.
And now even an inoculation that I have been wishing for so hard has become politicized. Sigh.

• Love 7
On 9/6/2020 at 8:53 PM, crazy8s said:

my voice is also very weak and sometimes non existent, so I have trouble with people hearing me

I don’t have health issues that make my voice weak, but I know if you’ve ever imagined meeting me, you were prepared for me to be loud and obnoxious.  You would have been 50% - I’m not loud.  When I was a child, my older brothers told me every single day to SHUT UP!!! GUH!!  You talk SO LOUD!!!  And I think (seriously, I believe this) I trained myself to speak softly because I was afraid I was making a fool of myself.  NO ONE can hear me through a mask.  I repeat everything I say 100 times, usually take a step back, pull my mask down and shout.  

On 9/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, iwantcookies said:

I LOVE wearing a mask. No more fake smiling. I am going to wear a mask forever. I do have asthma so I can use that as an excuse.

Oh cookies, I laughed OUT LOUD at this.  In my head, I’ve always envisioned you as an introvert who comes here to have a voice.  So when you said right up front on your marquis, I LOVE WEARING A MASK, you pretty much validated my psychic abilities.  

Also:  that person you were fake smiling at was MEEEEEEE (snoopy dance!). I smile at EVERYBODY.  I say “how you doin?”  And here, lemme help you with that, and hey YOU (tall person) come reach that for me.  I am that horrifying person who talks in elevators.  I tease strangers.  I compliment strangers.  I’ve danced with strangers to canned music in stores.  I told a 20 something guy in the DQ window last week that he was quite handsome, but that unless he’s had a trauma recently, he should SMILE.  (And he beamed so I licked him!  JK).

I ALWAYS tell servers when they need to be more friendly (this is the south, pleasant service should be so normal it’s almost nauseating).   Cookies, if I EVER saw you in public, I would make you smile!

true story:  when my baby son turned 15, we were in WM after school.  I mentioned something about his birthday when I was in line to pay.  Cashier says to him “it’s your birthday?”  I said “it IZZZZZZZ!!!!  We should SING, right????”  So we started singing happy birthday, and the people in the next line joined, and the next line, and people walking by, and by the clapping part at the end, the whole front of the store including the 90 YO greeter was belting out HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUU with absolutely no idea who’s birthday it was.  It was fabulous!!!   

Alas, I HATE, loathe and despise wearing a mask.  It is such a lethal punishment for me, I have put off errands for DAYS just because of it.  I have the irrational feeling I’m soffocating.  Plus I never even realized how important it was for me (personally) to read other peoples faces, or that I depend on it so much.  I swear I feel as though I lost 80% of my ability to communicate.  I “talk” with my face.  Very expressive, my face.  I feel blocked from humanity.  

plus, I swear I own 20 of those damn things and CANNOT keep up with them for love nor money.  I really do own 20 and right now, this very minute, can lay my hands on exactly 2 of them, and one of them needs to be washed.  (I put it on the dog as a joke the other day.  She was not amused).  

although until I typed all that out, I don’t think I realized why I hated it so much.  Turns out, this has been very therapeutic!  Thanks!

837376B8-E4B3-4C33-860C-111E6BD3F09A.jpeg

Just now, Happyfatchick said:

I don’t have health issues that make my voice weak, but I know if you’ve ever imagined meeting me, you were prepared for me to be loud and obnoxious.  You would have been 50% - I’m not loud.  When I was a child, my older brothers told me every single day to SHUT UP!!! GUH!!  You talk SO LOUD!!!  And I think (seriously, I believe this) I trained myself to speak softly because I was afraid I was making a fool of myself.  NO ONE can hear me through a mask.  I repeat everything I say 100 times, usually take a step back, pull my mask down and shout.  

Oh cookies, I laughed OUT LOUD at this.  In my head, I’ve always envisioned you as an introvert who comes here to have a voice.  So when you said right up front on your marquis, I LOVE WEARING A MASK, you pretty much validated my psychic abilities.  

Also:  that person you were fake smiling at was MEEEEEEE (snoopy dance!). I smile at EVERYBODY.  I say “how you doin?”  And here, lemme help you with that, and hey YOU (tall person) come reach that for me.  I am that horrifying person who talks in elevators.  I tease strangers.  I compliment strangers.  I’ve danced with strangers to canned music in stores.  I told a 20 something guy in the DQ window last week that he was quite handsome, but that unless he’s had a trauma recently, he should SMILE.  (And he beamed so I licked him!  JK).

I ALWAYS tell servers when they need to be more friendly (this is the south, pleasant service should be so normal it’s almost nauseating).   Cookies, if I EVER saw you in public, I would make you smile!

true story:  when my baby son turned 15, we were in WM after school.  I mentioned something about his birthday when I was in line to pay.  Cashier says to him “it’s your birthday?”  I said “it IZZZZZZZ!!!!  We should SING, right????”  So we started singing happy birthday, and the people in the next line joined, and the next line, and people walking by, and by the clapping part at the end, the whole front of the store including the 90 YO greeter was belting out HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUU with absolutely no idea who’s birthday it was.  It was fabulous!!!   

Alas, I HATE, loathe and despise wearing a mask.  It is such a lethal punishment for me, I have put off errands for DAYS just because of it.  I have the irrational feeling I’m soffocating.  Plus I never even realized how important it was for me (personally) to read other peoples faces, or that I depend on it so much.  I swear I feel as though I lost 80% of my ability to communicate.  I “talk” with my face.  Very expressive, my face.  I feel blocked from humanity.  

plus, I swear I own 20 of those damn things and CANNOT keep up with them for love nor money.  I really do own 20 and right now, this very minute, can lay my hands on exactly 2 of them, and one of them needs to be washed.  (I put it on the dog as a joke the other day.  She was not amused).  

although until I typed all that out, I don’t think I realized why I hated it so much.  Turns out, this has been very therapeutic!  Thanks!

I don’t know why my dog is upside down.  She seems to be stuck that way 

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I don’t know why my dog is upside down.  She seems to be stuck that way 

I AM an introvert and SEVERELY shy. Boy I do love your posts and your beautiful soul/personality shines through so much! 

• Love 9

I NEEDED a @Happyfatchick post today. Thank you! I can just picture your 15 year old son melting into the floor as the whole store sang happy birthday to him. 😂

I’m such a smiler too. Since Covid I have had just a few occasions to have my picture taken, and I find myself smiling like a fool at the camera with my mask on. Then I laugh at myself.

• Love 4

Hi friends! It's almost time to fire up the company laptop in my home office and get to work. I'd rather watch online travel videos, and travel-van buildout videos . . . and generally goof off, and catch upon this forum. I mentioned that we've had hot weather embellished by actual smoke and ash in the air from a biiiggg wildfire burning not too far north of here. 

So - and I knew this was coming - allow me to report that yesterday's high was 93F. And right now at 7 AM it's 35F, with rain and snow falling, and more of the storm blowing in very fiercely from the West. Yay, Colorado weather. I'm glad that my commute to work this morning doesn't require driving. I hope and pray the storm extinguishes our state's wildfires, but the news is saying it will take more than one storm to put out the big one(s) going on. Sigh. We'll be back into normal temps in a day or two. No need to store the flipflops away yet.

I'm planning more weekend minivan projects. I've discovered that my nice Coleman camping cot just isn't working in the back of my van. The minivan floor is crazy uneven, not just front to back but side to side in the area where the middle U-shaped leg of the cot hits. The first night the torquing was worse because I'd left a storage box underneath that was hitting me as I lay on the cot, but I've now learned that the cot was leaning to one side a bit on its own. I've ordered a "narrow twin" (almost same size as the cot) folding metal bed frame, after I watched a YT video showing how to level it for use in a minvan. You cut pieces of PVC pipe for the legs that need lifting to level the bed, place each of those legs inside its piece of PVC, and shazam, you've got a level bed with minimal muss and fuss. Can't do that with the U-shaped legs of the cot.  (Thank you, Bob Wells of CheapRVLiving.)

Cot: 

ridgelineiiijpg.jpg.571780d2b1741102c7d8592d9c5646a1.jpg

Bed frame:

bedframe1.jpg.b19dd5190c7f6ae18e1937f278262230.jpg

The bed frame is foldable so it's not a permanent installation. I also ordered a folding mattress that will fit it. I'm looking forward to my weekend project. Lord knows when I'll be able to really hit the road, which is frustrating. I was looking forward to buying an annual camping pass for New Mexico state parks, but at this time NM has closed its state parks to nonresidents. I respect that and don't disagree with it. But of course it's disappointing. I keep telling myself the pandemic will be with us for more months but not forever. In the meantime my little projects to outfit my minivan for camping aren't crazy expensive, and it's a way to stay occupied and perhaps nurture hope for the future.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 12

Hello friends, still on vacation- I had one "task" today, related to administrative things for my sister and it put me in a mood because I swear people are not bright, but I do have 500 copies of the guardianship paperwork, now I just have to get it to them. I had a relaxing breakfast and watched some YouTube videos. Its rainy and chilly here in chicago land.

• Love 11

Lookeyloo, sending your son many well wishes and prayers for family. 

I’ve been super cautious about things, even getting my hair done. I think I’ll continue with that, especially being high risk. Jillian Michaels contracted it from her hair/makeup person that she was around unmasked for 1 hour. She’s ok, though.

https://pagesix.com/2020/09/08/jillian-michaels-reveals-she-had-covid-warns-of-dangers-of-gym-attendance/

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

@lookeyloo what’s the word?  Are you able to tell us why he was taken to hosp?  Have you been able to speak with him?  
I wrote this yesterday and for some reason, it poofed into oblivion and is nowhere that I see.  
it must be excruciating for you to not be able to be there and take care of his needs.  It’s exhausting to watch someone you love so much be sick - but it’s got to be magnified tenfold the way you’re having to deal.  You must be ready to scream.  Do it!!!  I won’t tell.     ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 9
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

@lookeyloo, I said a rosary this morning for you and your family.  Mary knows what it is like to see a son suffer and not be able to do anything about it.  Keep strong and take care of yourself.

Amen 🙏🏻

• Love 4

@lookeyloo Thank god you can help your son on this journey. It is a horrible journey to walk on regardless, but I am sure that he appreciates having you by his side through it. My heart breaks for you and your son.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I try to take care of myself only because it helps me take care of him.  What I'd like to do is go to a deserted island with wifi and running water and stay there by myself and not talk to anyone and pretend the world is sane and he is healthy.  
And today he feels better enough to have called me and texted a few times.. 😍

Taking care of yourself... that’s the tail end of any mother’s list, isn’t it?  But if you don’t, you can’t:. That’s a fact.  And truthfully, knowing he’s in hospital and that he knows some caregivers, and that he’s being tended to should “technically” give you a chance to rest. It won’t - but it should.  I wish I could bottle up some strength and send it to you.  I know you are worn out.  And him.  And the partner.  Our sons are about the same age and I can’t say “I know how you feel” because I’ve never been in your shoes.  I can say I know your heart bleeds.  

it makes my heart sooooo happy that he’s been able to call and text you today.  

1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

8ED6A5BC-BBA6-41AD-86F0-B302D662CE6C.gif

Best hug meme evvvvver

• Love 10

lookeyloo, I hope you're finding some comfort in your son's calls and texts today. My mom is going to start up chemo again soon, although it will only be one treatment a month for 6 months instead of the previous weekly treatments for almost a year. During her most recent scan they found a small spot and they want to be aggressive about treating it since her type of cancer has a history of coming back repeatedly. It was a real kick in the gut after a year of clear scans, but not totally unexpected. 

Not to be tacky, but cancer can fuck right off. 

• Love 13

Lookeyloo:  as many of our friends here , I am including your family in my prayers.  Our own Dr Doodlebug is right that Mary knows what it is like to see a son suffer.  I will include your family in my rosary.

May I ask for prayers and good thoughts for my dearest friend, ML?  We’ve known each other since 9th grade algebra math.  ML was recently diagnosed with Stage 2b breast cancer.  I convinced her to get a second opinion at a regional office of one of the country’s leading cancer centers.  She followed my advice, and will be receiving her treatment there.  Her first chemo treatment is Friday. She’ll have chemo before having the lump removed

Tonight several of our mutual friends took her out for some pre-chemo ice cream and tomorrow night we will go over her house tomorrow evening for some additional ice cream.  It does have some magical healing properties.

• Love 18