Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Male Jessa is hot 

Girl Siah is hot

Right?! 😳

@Jynnan tonnix good luck with your surgery! I know two people who have had hernia surgery and it has been great for both of them. I hope you feel better than ever very soon.

The big news here is that it is officially sweater weather — a red letter day as far as my dog is concerned, because she looooooooves wearing clothes and now it’s cool enough for more than just a skimpy little collar. She’s curled up next to me right now, wearing a pink argyle sweater vest, and I doubt she’s ever been happier. Before I adopted her, I had no idea that dogs could be clothes horses 😂

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

@Jynnan tonnix, wishing you a successful surgery tomorrow and an easy recovery. I had mesh surgery for hernia years ago, and no trouble so far. I have a feeling you are going to be SO much more comfortable after this surgery.

@Happyfatchick, so terribly sorry about your cousin. That is just awful. I really hope things turn around and she improves and is able to leave the hospital. 
I nominate myself to join your lady’s commune.  I don’t have any special skills, but I’m a good team player! And I LOVE red.

• Love 2

@Jynnan tonnix - best of luck on your surgery. I hope you heal quickly and feel better than ever!

@Happyfatchick, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. I hope she turns the corner soon, heals and is back home recovering!

The face tuning is cracking me up!

I'm going to complain about my annoying sil today. I went back on FB when my cousin passed away, feeling the need to stay in touch with my numerous cousins. Meanwhile my sil (I'm married to her brother) seems to have friended every member of my large family. And she's the type who posts comments and boastful pics on everyone's posts, even if she barely knows them. She's been pissing off my closest sister, who is one of the few fun people I follow on FB. Sil takes any topic and turns it around to herself and waylays my funny sister's amusing posts. She polices everyone and corrects people all the time. She truly believes that everyone should be just like her and no one is good enough to measure up. She picked on my sweet sil (married to my brother) yesterday and I so wanted to smack her down, but I won't fight on SM. To me she is the embodiment of "Perfect is the enemy of good." She considers herself to be perfect and I'm sure she believes that others are merely "good" which is not good enough for her. She talks incessantly and loudly, just like my late mil. She's probably on SM more than she used to be, due to the pandemic, but of course, she thinks that she is never on it, because she is such a busy person, too lofty for SM. Anyway, she's been on my last nerve since the 70s, 😲 so I guess I'll just continue to deal with it. Fortunately, my husband is just as annoyed by her. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m missing something here. Can you please give me a reference point? 

It's not only the fact that Lisa has married two extremely attractive men, it's that they all have a good relationship.  She and Lenny Kravitz are exes but also friends, and periodically pictures of the three of them surface.  I'm not saying that they are a throuple, but....

• Love 9

@lookeyloo, give us an update.  How’s it going?  Can we call him Bubba?  Every southern family has a Bubba (we DO NOT although several friends tried valiantly to make that happen when my last was a baby).  So for me it would be a lighthearted way just to check up.  How’s Bubba (you get it, I know).  

I told all those male friends (and are still friends) of the family if “Bubba” sticks, I’m coming for you.  I have a nephew Bubba and I had to ask once what is his actual name.  And my own husband has the “other” common southern good ole’ boy moniker, Sonny.  Has been called that his entire life.  I have a pic of him that says on the back “Sonny @ 3 weeks”.  So yeah, it was meant to happen!  (History lesson) also in the south, in the era of my grandparents pretty much every family had a “Sis” or “Sissy” and they all had a “Bud”.  I had a Great Aunt I called Aint Sister till she died.  And an Uncle Bud.  My Granny (in that set) had some naaaaames going on.  There was a Clara Kizzie (and they called them by both if they had 2 names), John Bivens (Uncle JB), Orin, Viola and Zelma.  I (like everyone else) called Viola “Aint Veo”.  My Granny was Zelma.

• Love 8

Is this Sinner Twin?  He really is the best looking son by far. I’m seeing Michelle and Joy. 

Also, let me give a disclaimer that I am in no way making fun of anyone’s looks. I’m no contender for a beauty queen title either. I always thought they all looked alike, but it’s fun to see how much when when you Face Tune the features. I do this with my own family too because sometimes it brings out subtle similarities in the facial features. 

A21BDB23-7AE9-4CFA-B2AE-258E0D12B6AC.jpeg

279F863B-987C-4331-BE96-481DF215E89C.jpeg

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Is this Sinner Twin?  He really is the best looking son by far. I’m seeing Michelle and Joy. 

Also, let me give a disclaimer that I am in no way making fun of anyone’s looks. I’m no contender for a beauty queen title either. I always thought they all looked alike, but it’s fun to see how much when when you Face Tune the features. I do this with my own family too because sometimes it brings out subtle similarities in the facial features. 

15 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

0DF32A90-3A39-498F-8379-E7C327842398.jpeg

2B68F515-65B9-4B60-BB89-9B6AB0B401C5.jpeg

Jer is the most handsome Duggar boy likely because he has the most masculine face. Now “pretty men” often share features with “pretty women” but you can see from the face tune- Jed’s face is so masculine he doesn’t make the prettiest girl. 

Jill has a strong face and looks good as a man.

The bio father (I say bio because he’s never parented her) of my god daughter isn’t a “good looking” man, personally I think he’s the homeliest of his family. But his daughters (my god baby and her half sister) look just like him and are very cute girls. I think his face is “too soft” on a grown man but translates very well on a girl/woman. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

@Happyfatchick I had a cousin called "Bad Eye." His real name has been lost to time. He didn't even remember it himself. 🤣

@Scarlett45 I think you might be onto something. I look a lot like my dad. He's a really handsome man. Not just saying that because he's my dad. I had a lady in WM trying to flirt with his picture when I was making copies of it a few years ago. "Is that your brother?" *bats eyes* "No, it's my dad." LOL But whereas those strong facial features look really good on a guy, they don't make for a very attractive girl. I don't think I am hideous-looking, but I would never be considered anything more than average myself because that whole square-jawed thing looks so much better on men. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

@Happyfatchick I had a cousin called "Bad Eye." His real name has been lost to time. He didn't even remember it himself. 🤣

@Scarlett45 I think you might be onto something. I look a lot like my dad. He's a really handsome man. Not just saying that because he's my dad. I had a lady in WM trying to flirt with his picture when I was making copies of it a few years ago. "Is that your brother?" *bats eyes* "No, it's my dad." LOL But whereas those strong facial features look really good on a guy, they don't make for a very attractive girl. I don't think I am hideous-looking, but I would never be considered anything more than average myself because that whole square-jawed thing looks so much better on men. 

Lol you’re funny. I’m sure you’re lovely- but yes, some features translate well on both sexes, and others don’t.

“Pretty men”, I’m thinking the likes of Orlando Bloom, Michael Ealy, Leo DiCaprio (in his youth) etc have that tiny bit of softness that keeps them pretty, but not too much because then they would just look too feminine. I’ve often seen this happen with little boys who are so pretty, but puberty hits and the testosterone takes away all of the softness in their face that made it attractive and they look odd. On the flip side, those same men who may have been awkward looking kids grow into the strong features and they look very rugged. 

Women do far more to manipulate our appearance than men do (🥺) so it’s easier to analyze the male faces. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Prime example of boys losing their softness of facial features and then their attractiveness is Issac Hempstead Wright (Bran from Game of Thrones). 

He was a pretty child, not such a handsome man. He’s fine looking but his face didn’t hold its beauty after puberty. 

Now I bet you his sister (if he has one), is very pretty- girls faces don’t change that much after puberty. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e9e1058dc44ac1f70556ddebb2fcd738.jpegimage.jpeg.9eec1563cc8b50a06abc716e5309705e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b8a60ef59d4556cb3af6c78e9f61b4e2.jpeg

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

OMG when I rewatched GOT earlier this summer, one of my thoughts was "What happened to adorable Bran?" You're right--he's not bad-looking as an adult, but he was a very pretty child. 

On that same vein- Kitt Harrington (Jon Snow) and Richard Madden (Robb)- kept SOME of their prettiness, the softness in their faces, which is why they are such attractive adult men. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

On that same vein- Kitt Harrington (Jon Snow) and Richard Madden (Robb)- kept SOME of their prettiness, the softness in their faces, which is why they are such attractive adult men. 

True. Harington's not really my type, though I concede he is a very nice-looking man. Madden, on the other hand, is so handsome to me that I have a hard time paying attention to him in interviews when he's talking. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Love 2

Okay, these photos are freaking me out. It’s like the Duggars have decided that human reproduction takes way too long so they’ve turned to test tubes and combining DNA to produce insta-Duggars by the hundreds....😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

(Running away shrieking....)

• LOL 22
  • Love 1

Good luck! Yes, I hate the phone in general because you don’t get any of the visual cues. It’s much harder to “read the room.”

Just take your time...you’ll be fine. I tend to talk way too fast on that kind of thing!

Deep breaths. You’ll do great!

• Love 8

Male Jill looks like a Kennedy, IMO.  Female Jeremy is gorgeous (I hate myself a little bit now).

What's interesting is that each Duggar boy-turned-girl strongly resembles one of his sisters, but each girl-turned-boy looks distinctively different.

Josh is ugly either way.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

@lookeyloo, give us an update.  How’s it going?  Can we call him Bubba?  Every southern family has a Bubba (we DO NOT although several friends tried valiantly to make that happen when my last was a baby).  So for me it would be a lighthearted way just to check up.  How’s Bubba (you get it, I know).  

I told all those male friends (and are still friends) of the family if “Bubba” sticks, I’m coming for you.  I have a nephew Bubba and I had to ask once what is his actual name.  And my own husband has the “other” common southern good ole’ boy moniker, Sonny.  Has been called that his entire life.  I have a pic of him that says on the back “Sonny @ 3 weeks”.  So yeah, it was meant to happen!  (History lesson) also in the south, in the era of my grandparents pretty much every family had a “Sis” or “Sissy” and they all had a “Bud”.  I had a Great Aunt I called Aint Sister till she died.  And an Uncle Bud.  My Granny (in that set) had some naaaaames going on.  There was a Clara Kizzie (and they called them by both if they had 2 names), John Bivens (Uncle JB), Orin, Viola and Zelma.  I (like everyone else) called Viola “Aint Veo”.  My Granny was Zelma.

Well, sure, you can refer to him as Bubba, although if you met him, you would know he isn't a Bubba!  But in  the scheme of things, why not.  My Uncle had a nickname of "Sonny" but he was a very nice looking man back then - think the Errol Flynn type and he knew it, so we all figured  my grandma called him "Sonny, meaning Sunny" because she thought he was so "bright" haha.

I guess it is going.  He had the procedure two weeks ago, (called palliative) ended up in the hospital because of side effects, alone because of COVID, has had another out patient procedure (the side effects not unexpected) but all we can hope for is keeping the cancer at bay.  There is no talk of cure, remission, etc. Even on the remote chance the tumors (plural which makes me want to puke) reduced in size, they don't expect them to go away and he will undoubtedly be on a treatment of sorts and the heavy duty pain meds until the uncertain future prevails.  I just pray I go first.  But then again I have another child so anyway, all too much and am going for snark.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

He really is the cutest one. Don’t know/care what his name is.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Kitt Harrington is my British bae and he can do no wrong! None I tell you!!!

He’s attractive. I don’t know why people always make fun of him for being short. He’s short but he’s not that short, and he’s very handsome. Not all men are 6ft tall. 

• Love 3

If my insurance pays I’m having a scan tomorrow

I was crying hysterically and the staff calmed me down . very nice ladies 

If it’s cancer I just don’t know how to deal with that

Hoping for answers by the end of the week 

I just wish everyone that posted on here posted good news! 

Just now, iwantcookies said:

Best wishes @iwantcookies!  Virtual hugsies!

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

its the waiting that is hard. i am still waiting for the report on my biopsy.  i am a bit out of the loop tho - what kind of scan diagnoses cancer? 

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I think I have a tumor in my belly. CT scan I assume to see what’s really inside of me. My gut is HARD and the skin is starting to resemble a turtle shell. No pain though so I don’t know what is wrong with me.

Is this the same potential tumor you were worried about a while back?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

@iwantcookies, this probably comes as way too much information, but I am a lumpy kind of person. Over the years I have had breast lumps, uterine lumps, and abdominal lumps, a couple the size of a golf ball. Used to scare the bejeezus out of me. Every time I had surgery they turned out completely benign. I’m to the point where I now expect the CT tech to suddenly tense up. I just want you to know that it’s not necessarily something scary, if that helps at all.

I think it’s a good sign that you’re not having any pain.  I would certainly think your insurance company would come through on something like this. It’s always better to know, right?

Sending you a big hug...

• Love 8
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Well, sure, you can refer to him as Bubba, although if you met him, you would know he isn't a Bubba!  

Well then: he cannot be referred to as Bubba.  I really didn’t expect him to meet the criteria, I was trying to give him a “name” so we can ask how Bob/Jim/Will/Bill is doing.  You really do have to have kind of a personality disorder to wear “Bubba”.  Our particular Bubba belongs to my husbands sister.  I loooooove these people, honest to God I do.  But.  If I weren’t related I wouldn’t know them.  Get it??  We were at a family birthday cookout once.  Bubba gets up (far enough from me I can’t hear what he’s saying), leans over the lawn chair where his own father was sitting.  Leans a little closer.  Honestly, I thought he was so drunk he was losing his balance.  (Certainly was a possibility).  And THEN, he tosses his beer aside, grabs his father, knocks him over with the chair and it took several men to get them apart.  I would give my left leg and part of my right arm to have ME on video.  I have NEVVVVVVVER seen anything like that, been to ANY gathering like that, participated in anything like that.  Sonny was howling with laughter.  I was HORRIFIED.  AMAZED!  DUMBFOUNDED!!!  WHO DOES THAT?????   MY family... we just, you know, cook some burgers, say a lot of awful things about each other (to our faces), sing happy birthday... and kids.  Kids are featured at our parties even if it’s not THEIR birthday.  GUH!!!

so no, I was kidding about the Bubba.  But make up some old name and let’s call him that.  We feel like we know him anyway.  Fred.  

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Male Josh would have sex with a shoebox.

I think he did that one already. 

1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I just wish everyone that posted on here posted good news! 

First of all, you DON’T wish that at all.  I think what you mean to say is that you wish everyone always only had good news to report. But that’s just not how it works.  Secondly, if you wanted that to be your unicorn fairy wish, you wouldn’t have just told us about your unfortunate appointment.  Amiright?

if you don’t want to tell it on the forum, I get that, but I love you (and I think you’re my daughter and we were separated somehow).  I’ma need to have some better details.  Did you get an appointment or did you go to ER?  Why did you go to pieces - were you terrified and just couldn’t handle it, or did someone’s eyes pop out when they saw your issue?  How BIG is this place and when did you first notice it?  How long has this been going on?  Will you be going back to the same place for a scan, or someplace different?  I feel like they may not be able to schedule you that quickly and you may have a very hard weekend ahead, as you are already clearly so anxious.  Talk to Mama.  Or talk to everybody (there’s LOTS of concerned mamas here).  

@Ijustwantsomechips, clearly you need more free time.  (Biscuit!!!!!  Ha!!!).  Do you know that (seriously, no joke) When I first started posting on here, I said “there’s a Jason?” And I was being serious.  I didn’t have any idea “there’s a Jason?” Was a thing.  But what I really wanted to say is:  DANG, Jason is the ultimate Duggar face.  He looks enough like his brothers wearing a man face that you can see all of them.  When you turn him into a girl, I can see every girl in the whole Family, including a little bit of Amy.  Holy cow.  One face:  he embodies them all.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Surgery went well...Turns out there were actually Three very big and ugly hernias in there!

I'm feeling fine as long as I don't try to do anything involving abdominal muscles. They tried to get me up on my feet a couple of hours ago, which was a total no-go. I did manage, with a great deal of pain and trouble, to swing my legs down to the floor, but putting any weight on them proved impossible, and involved some sobbing on my part - and I generally have pretty high pain tolerance.

Anyway, they are going to try again in a while, but I hope it doesn't string out to when this dose of pain meds starts wearing off again. Which it probably will in an hour or so.

In the meantime, I'm pretty happy and loopy about now! 

119529199_10158538708912778_3684264715167244633_o.jpg

Enjoy the sanctioned loopy, our sweet Jyn!  You will be fine with some time and appropriate care!!  

1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

Well then: he cannot be referred to as Bubba.  I really didn’t expect him to meet the criteria, I was trying to give him a “name” so we can ask how Bob/Jim/Will/Bill is doing.  You really do have to have kind of a personality disorder to wear “Bubba”.  Our particular Bubba belongs to my husbands sister.  I loooooove these people, honest to God I do.  But.  If I weren’t related I wouldn’t know them.  Get it??  We were at a family birthday cookout once.  Bubba gets up (far enough from me I can’t hear what he’s saying), leans over the lawn chair where his own father was sitting.  Leans a little closer.  Honestly, I thought he was so drunk he was losing his balance.  (Certainly was a possibility).  And THEN, he tosses his beer aside, grabs his father, knocks him over with the chair and it took several men to get them apart.  I would give my left leg and part of my right arm to have ME on video.  I have NEVVVVVVVER seen anything like that, been to ANY gathering like that, participated in anything like that.  Sonny was howling with laughter.  I was HORRIFIED.  AMAZED!  DUMBFOUNDED!!!  WHO DOES THAT?????   MY family... we just, you know, cook some burgers, say a lot of awful things about each other (to our faces), sing happy birthday... and kids.  Kids are featured at our parties even if it’s not THEIR birthday.  GUH!!!

so no, I was kidding about the Bubba.  But make up some old name and let’s call him that.  We feel like we know him anyway.  Fred.  

I think he did that one already. 

First of all, you DON’T wish that at all.  I think what you mean to say is that you wish everyone always only had good news to report. But that’s just not how it works.  Secondly, if you wanted that to be your unicorn fairy wish, you wouldn’t have just told us about your unfortunate appointment.  Amiright?

if you don’t want to tell it on the forum, I get that, but I love you (and I think you’re my daughter and we were separated somehow).  I’ma need to have some better details.  Did you get an appointment or did you go to ER?  Why did you go to pieces - were you terrified and just couldn’t handle it, or did someone’s eyes pop out when they saw your issue?  How BIG is this place and when did you first notice it?  How long has this been going on?  Will you be going back to the same place for a scan, or someplace different?  I feel like they may not be able to schedule you that quickly and you may have a very hard weekend ahead, as you are already clearly so anxious.  Talk to Mama.  Or talk to everybody (there’s LOTS of concerned mamas here).  

@Ijustwantsomechips, clearly you need more free time.  (Biscuit!!!!!  Ha!!!).  Do you know that (seriously, no joke) When I first started posting on here, I said “there’s a Jason?” And I was being serious.  I didn’t have any idea “there’s a Jason?” Was a thing.  But what I really wanted to say is:  DANG, Jason is the ultimate Duggar face.  He looks enough like his brothers wearing a man face that you can see all of them.  When you turn him into a girl, I can see every girl in the whole Family, including a little bit of Amy.  Holy cow.  One face:  he embodies them all.  

Can we just call him “sweet son”?  He just face-timed me and we had almost a normal call and now I need a good cry. 

• Love 20
47 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Surgery went well...Turns out there were actually Three very big and ugly hernias in there!

I'm feeling fine as long as I don't try to do anything involving abdominal muscles. They tried to get me up on my feet a couple of hours ago, which was a total no-go. I did manage, with a great deal of pain and trouble, to swing my legs down to the floor, but putting any weight on them proved impossible, and involved some sobbing on my part - and I generally have pretty high pain tolerance.

Anyway, they are going to try again in a while, but I hope it doesn't string out to when this dose of pain meds starts wearing off again. Which it probably will in an hour or so.

119529199_10158538708912778_3684264715167244633_o.jpg

I'm glad it went well. 

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Can we just call him “sweet son”?  He just face-timed me and we had almost a normal call and now I need a good cry. 

We can call him whatever you want, there is no need for us to give your sweet son a nickname other than that. I'm glad you got to have a normal, everyday call with him, I know how rare that can be when a loved one is fighting cancer. Hugs to both of you.

Congrats, Jyn! I hope they give you all the pain meds you want.

And awesome news, MargeGunderson!

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 11

Loopy is a good place to be.  Save some of that for me!  Glad the surgery went well.

lookeylou I really do send good thoughts your way every day.   Even if I'm just reading and not posting.  

iwantcookies - having a good thought for you too.  Been there, done that, and it's hard - and I'm lucky that I had nothing, but I'm gonna go into that blasted tube now every fucking year for the ta ta's.  Please keep us informed.  I know it's useless to say 'don't worry' because we do anyway, it's human nature. If you need some anxiety meds ask for them.  

Here's something that's a good thing - when my daughter moved out I thought I'd miss her more, but I don't.  I miss her cat terribly however.  But the good part is  SHE TOOK ALL HER SHIT WITH HER!!!!!  Oh happy day!  You can't imagine how cleaned up our shotgun shack looks!  We are still painting and doing new flooring, but when it's done and I can get out my glass pumpkins I'll take pictures.  

• Love 19