Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, jjane said:

I never said anything about a brother's child. He only has sons. I said he allowed them to live on his property.  I don't know where this is coming from or why there are suddenly two people invested in making this some sort of made up story but it's the last thing I need. Y'all have a good night. I've got a hurricane to worry about.

Hugs Jjane. Be safe and let us know that you are ok after the storm passes.

• Love 7

@ChiCricket, I'm so glad you checked in. I was thinking of you just the other day. Happy to hear you're feeling better, that you swung into action to break the monotony, and that your family rallied around you. Also, great news about your grandkids! 

@skatelady, I posted above that I was out camping for a couple of days (and one night, lol). While I was gone I missed some pages of our chat. I caught up, and I'm blown. away. by your walking adventures. Wow! Thanks for sharing that with us.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Ps..I should give credit to my shrink for realizing I needed my Prozac dose adjusted. I feel so much better since he upped it recently. I wasn't going to mention it, but you know what? I want people to know that sometimes meds do help.

Amen! I had severe anxiety and depression before COVID. After COVID I was so much worse. My doctor upped my meds twice and now I feel physically and emotionally better than I have in years. One of my major problems is being broke or overdrawn for the past 3 months. This weekend I sat down and made a realistic budget for the next year. If nothing catastrophic happens I will be out of debt in a year. That will net me an extra $688/mo. I only take home $633 every two weeks, so this will almost double my pay.

• Love 24
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I Love Christmas decor!!! I’m holding out till sept 1 to start planning for my Halloween decor. 

Me too.  Trouble is that so much stuff gets gone so early.  I have enough to hold off, but, I sure like looking. 

• Love 2

Well, the sun's shining here and the hurricane watch has been cancelled but we still have the tropical storm warning in place. My therapy for my broken foot an hour away wasn't cancelled so I'm about to get in the car.

I don't know why things turned ugly last night but I appreciate the support from the others.  I would not make anything this serious up and frankly the tone from a couple of people was so much like my niece that it triggered memories of previous episodes with her so I think I'll have to step back for a few days. I need to be in  a good place to go and talk to the people my attorney wants me to meet with. Hope everybody stays safe from the storms and I wish you all good health, love and whatever support you may need.

Much love, Janet

• Love 11

In more sad news another colleague, former friend of my mom died recently. 

The woman that passed, my mom and god mother were a tight little ob/gyn trio in the late 90s/early 2000s, but she had a lot of mental health struggles, severe depression and could barely work or maintain the friendship. Her husband took care of her, but my mommy always tried to keep up with her. She would send her a bday card every year etc. 

I remember she was the first woman I met that used the term “Childfree”(as she was), her husband was an actor turned lawyer. I really looked up to both of them. My mom is on the phone now making all the rounds to tell everyone. 

She’s pretty sad no funeral.

70 years old. But given her health (mental and physical) I’m not surprised. She had hypertension from the age of 15 (one of the reasons they were Childfree).

Health (both mental and physical) is precious. When her mental health decline first started my Mom was so confused and felt rejected. My Mom being herself (and not checking her privledge) didn’t understand why she was so depressed- “if I was childfree and got to keep all my money for myself and had a husband making just as much as me, trust I would never be depressed!”

Yes my Mom is a Dr and should fucking know better, but she has grown a lot in the last 20years with things like that. 

Health is precious. Please take care of yourselves and reach out to loved ones even though we can’t all be together right now  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

Amen! I had severe anxiety and depression before COVID. After COVID I was so much worse. My doctor upped my meds twice and now I feel physically and emotionally better than I have in years. One of my major problems is being broke or overdrawn for the past 3 months. This weekend I sat down and made a realistic budget for the next year. If nothing catastrophic happens I will be out of debt in a year. That will net me an extra $688/mo. I only take home $633 every two weeks, so this will almost double my pay.

So glad you’re feeling better...did you get them to fix your air conditioning?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's friend, @Scarlett45

Thank you. With my god mother’s cancer not looking good, and then this woman’s passing my Mom is feeling it. I can say that at 34 I haven’t lost a close friend to death. (I’m fortunate I know). Everyone I have lost has been old enough to be my parent. I can’t imagine how she feels right now. 

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

In more sad news another colleague, former friend of my mom died recently. 

The woman that passed, my mom and god mother were a tight little ob/gyn trio in the late 90s/early 2000s, but she had a lot of mental health struggles, severe depression and could barely work or maintain the friendship. Her husband took care of her, but my mommy always tried to keep up with her. She would send her a bday card every year etc. 

I remember she was the first woman I met that used the term “Childfree”(as she was), her husband was an actor turned lawyer. I really looked up to both of them. My mom is on the phone now making all the rounds to tell everyone. 

She’s pretty sad no funeral.

70 years old. But given her health (mental and physical) I’m not surprised. She had hypertension from the age of 15 (one of the reasons they were Childfree).

Health (both mental and physical) is precious. When her mental health decline first started my Mom was so confused and felt rejected. My Mom being herself (and not checking her privledge) didn’t understand why she was so depressed- “if I was childfree and got to keep all my money for myself and had a husband making just as much as me, trust I would never be depressed!”

Yes my Mom is a Dr and should fucking know better, but she has grown a lot in the last 20years with things like that. 

Health is precious. Please take care of yourselves and reach out to loved ones even though we can’t all be together right now  

Mental illness is so horrible.  I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your mom's friend.  Only 70 years old. It's sad.  I was chatting with an old friend last week and we couldn't believe HOW MANY of our friends, colleagues and family members have passed this year.  And most not from covid.  And, the funerals aren't much now due to covid either, though, some are airing them live on line.  I've watched a few that way.  And, I post my condolences on the funeral home's website, light a candle, etc.  Health is so precious.  I thank God every day for my strength.  

You know, my cousin, who has profound dementia just turned 69 years old. She has had severe dementia for six years.  Doctors told me  years ago that she was very physically ill and recommended hospice. She's been on hospice two years. She's had cachexia (wasting syndrome) for over a year. Lost substantial weight. Retains no nutrients to retain her strength, is semi vegetative state (can't move or speak), has other health issues like diabetes, arthritis, etc.  I just don't understand the way the universe works sometimes.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Mental illness is so horrible.  I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your mom's friend.  Only 70 years old. It's sad.  I was chatting with an old friend last week and we couldn't believe HOW MANY of our friends, colleagues and family members have passed this year.  And most not from covid.  And, the funerals aren't much now due to covid either, though, some are airing them live on line.  I've watched a few that way.  And, I post my condolences on the funeral home's website, light a candle, etc.  Health is so precious.  I thank God every day for my strength.  

You know, my cousin, who has profound dementia just turned 69 years old. She has had severe dementia for six years.  Doctors told me  years ago that she was very physically ill and recommended hospice. She's been on hospice two years. She's had cachexia (wasting syndrome) for over a year. Lost substantial weight. Retains no nutrients to retain her strength, is semi vegetative state (can't move or speak), has other health issues like diabetes, arthritis, etc.  I just don't understand the way the universe works sometimes.  

I remember you mentioning your cousin before. So sad. She is lucky to have such a trust worthy person be her advocate when she can longer care for herself. We don’t know how long we will stay healthy and functional. 

For my 35th Bday I am increasing my retirement contributions- I don’t know what the future holds but I don’t want to have to worry about money. 

• Love 15

I try to be her advocate, but, I have no control over her longevity.  She has outlived everyone on her wing. All the other residents haven't been there as long as she has.  She's outlived so many roommates. They obviously provide her excellent care. No skin breakdown....no pneumonia...  All I can do is ask that they give her pain meds if needed, turn regularly, play music, talk sweetly......it's out of my hands. It hurts my heart, though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I try to be her advocate, but, I have no control over her longevity.  She has outlived everyone on her wing. All the other residents haven't been there as long as she has.  She's outlived so many roommates. They obviously provide her excellent care. No skin breakdown....no pneumonia...  All I can do is ask that they give her pain meds if needed, turn regularly, play music, talk sweetly......it's out of my hands. It hurts my heart, though.  

No- no one has control over her longevity. But it takes a lot to care for people who can’t care for themselves, and people without their cognitive functioning are the most vulnerable to abuse. You are her best protector and a wonderful person to ensure she is clean, comfortable and treated with dignity in her last years. 

• Love 13

I lost my same age cousin last week (doesn't appear to be Covid-related). He was the first of our generation to pass and has been part of my life since I was 2 weeks old. He never married and lived far from his only sibling. He will be greatly missed. It's hard not to have a service! I'm sorry I haven't commented much on posters lately. I've been reading and my heart goes out to everyone who's struggling and rejoices for all who are celebrating.  

In good news, Mr. BB & I have been feeding the fish (and snapping turtles) at our local pond. We found some multi-species fish formula (for bass, etc.) and they come swimming right up to us. It's really cute. We go late morning and early evening. We were concerned because our association has been doing some weird "updates" to our pond and we were worried about the wildlife there. They seem ok, though! It's so funny because the big ol' snapping turtles come swimming over to see what all the excitement is about! 

• Love 18

BetyBee, I'm sorry about the loss of your cousin.  If my cousin does pass away soon, I'm not having an immediate service, but, have planned a celebration of life to be held later, after covid is resolved.  I would only expect immediate family and a few care providers to attend.  

I love turtles.  I used to have a large goldfish that would eat from my fingers.  He had the personality of a Golden...Retriever, that is. 

• Love 9

Recall that we were discussing the shocking photo and step down by Jerry Falwell, Jr. recently.  I said then, something weird is going on.  Lots of fishy stuff for years.  Here's a couple of links with updates.   I think there's much more too.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/24/jerry-falwell-jr-accuses-wifes-ex-lover-blackmail

Sorry, had to delete one of those links.  I think political paper.  You can google and find it though. 

Here's another one. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8659231/Business-partner-Falwells-says-long-affair-evangelical-power-couple.html

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

Methinks Mrs. Falwell is taking the hit to cover up what were, at a minimum, more likely group activities. And it’s always the woman’s fault, right?

ETA: He just resigned from Liberty. Supposedly.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17
20 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Recall that we were discussing the shocking photo and step down by Jerry Falwell, Jr. recently.  I said then, something weird is going on.  Lots of fishy stuff for years.  Here's a couple of links with updates.   I think there's much more too.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/24/jerry-falwell-jr-accuses-wifes-ex-lover-blackmail

Sorry, had to delete one of those links.  I think political paper.  You can google and find it though. 

Here's another one. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8659231/Business-partner-Falwells-says-long-affair-evangelical-power-couple.html

What drives me crazy is that if this was a story about anyone else, Falwell would be calling for heads to roll, claiming this person doesn't have Jesus in their heart and should be ruined in every aspect of their life. But when it's him, he's asking for prayers and sympathy and claiming it's all his wife's fault. I hope he goes down in flames, as publicly as possible 

• Love 20
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think the guy who said Falwell likes to watch was telling the truth. That was a really weird public statement Falwell released. 

I suspect the “corner” story is just the tip...of the iceberg.  Just saying........lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suspect the “corner” story is just the tip...of the iceberg.  Just saying........lol

I just realized from the Daily Fail article that there are taped phone calls and saved texts.

giphy.gif

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 8/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, lookeyloo said:

I got the chocotacos too. They aren’t too sweet but one is too much. So I cut them in half. Also I don’t like the “taco” part as much because it isn’t crisp. I think this will be the only box

If the taco part isn't crisp like a sugar cone. it has been refrigerated at too low a temp someplace along the line before it was sold and it thawed a little and softened the taco..  I love Choco Tacos, but only when the taco crunchy.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

If the taco part isn't crisp like a sugar cone. it has been refrigerated at too low a temp someplace along the line before it was sold and it thawed a little and softened the taco..  I love Choco Tacos, but only when the taco crunchy.

Good to know but impossible to know from the box if any thawing has occurred in transit. I take an ice chest and blue ice to grocery store to avoid as much of that as possible. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This says Falwell isn’t leaving Liberty after all. Not sure what to think.....hmmmm..

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jerry-falwell-resigns-as-leader-of-liberty-university-amid-scandal/

Why leave such a lucrative gig when you can just blame the little woman for screwing around?

These are people who honestly seem to believe they have the moral high ground??????

Fuck them to the skies. And back.

• Love 15

There's also another "pool boy" that Jerry forced Liberty to "invest" millions in as well. He was also able to fly Liberty's private jet with Falwell to Miami. 

There is literally, zero, ZERO chance that Falwell was only a voyeur in any of these situations. 

2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

There's also another "pool boy" that Jerry forced Liberty to "invest" millions in as well. He was also able to fly Liberty's private jet with Falwell to Miami. 

There is literally, zero, ZERO chance that Falwell was only a voyeur in any of these situations. 

Damn. So not only is this guy a huge hypocrite*, he’s a THIEF. Stealing from the university to finance the dreams of his fuck buddies. How do people think they won’t get caught??

*for the record if he and his wife wanted to have sexual relations with these men, that’s fine- they were all over the age of majority so whatever, but don’t be a hypocrite. 

• Love 15

“The board put me on leave, took away my duties as prez, and that’s not permitted by my contract,” Falwell told the newspaper. “And they put me on leave because of pressure from self-righteous people.”

"Self-righteous people"?!? This hypocrisy is one of the reasons I gave up organized religion, which put me on the path to gradual atheism. If this had happened to any other christian college president he would have been first in line to grandstand his self-righteousness with thoughts, prayers, and a demand that the president resign. But HE expects to be counseled, allowed to repent, and put back in charge of HIS college. 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Nysha said:

“The board put me on leave, took away my duties as prez, and that’s not permitted by my contract,” Falwell told the newspaper. “And they put me on leave because of pressure from self-righteous people.”

"Self-righteous people"?!? This hypocrisy is one of the reasons I gave up organized religion, which put me on the path to gradual atheism. If this had happened to any other christian college president he would have been first in line to grandstand his self-righteousness with thoughts, prayers, and a demand that the president resign. But HE expects to be counseled, allowed to repent, and put back in charge of HIS college. 

He STOLE money from the university. Wasn’t that a violation of his contract??

Had he just had a threesome with his wife and those men, and not involved the university what so ever I might be so inclined to think he should be granted “forgiveness”- although he’d still be a hypocrite. 

The gall of these people. 

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Had he just had a threesome with his wife and those men, and not involved the university what so ever I might be so inclined to think he should be granted “forgiveness”- although he’d still be a hypocrite. 

Even with everything he's done I have no problem with him being granted forgiveness, what I object to is his redemption that allows to come back as a "stronger man of god".  What fundies and evangelicals don't seem to comprehend is "forgive and forget" doesn't mean "forgive and trust". He is and has been untrustworthy for many years and getting caught will only teach him to hide his sins better next time. 

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Even with everything he's done I have no problem with him being granted forgiveness, what I object to is his redemption that allows to come back as a "stronger man of god".  What fundies and evangelicals don't seem to comprehend is "forgive and forget" doesn't mean "forgive and trust". He is and has been untrustworthy for many years and getting caught will only teach him to hide his sins better next time. 

See to me “forgive and forget” does mean “forgive and trust”- because if you don’t remember the transgression what reason do you not have to trust someone. “Forgive and forget” returns someone to their former status (this might just be semantics though). 

Given that he not only broke the social rules of his community by having the threesome BUT stole from the University and violated his fiduciary duty there should be no return to status, even if the community chooses to forgive him for the social rule breaking. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Apparently Dumbass has re-emerged from his corner to resign again? You can't make this shit up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/08/24/jerry-falwell-resigns-head-liberty-university/5626468002/

I have suspected for a while that there is something else going on with him.  Not just the sex stuff.  His radio interview sounded odd, like he might be impaired.  I don't know him well enough to make an accusation, but, it seems something else is impairing his judgment and cognitive abilities.  That will likely be revealed in time. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have suspected for a while that there is something else going on with him.  Not just the sex stuff.  His radio interview sounded odd, like he might be impaired.  I don't know him well enough to make an accusation, but, it seems something else is impairing his judgment and cognitive abilities.  That will likely be revealed in time. 

He might also be drinking because he's stressed out about his house of cards collapsing, especially if he felt like his ability to keep the pool boy stuff under wraps was failing. I suspect a lot of his poor decisions were made out of an arrogant belief he was untouchable, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's got some issues beyond that. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

Someone posted a line on Twitter last night that summed it up for me. It was along the lines of "I don't care what Jerry Falwell, Jr. does in his bedroom if everyone involved is consenting adults. What angers me is that he is so determined to dictate and judge what goes on in everyone else's bedrooms." Hypocrite is too weak of a word to describe Falwell, but I can't think of another one. I can't believe how self righteous and high and mighty he's being during all of this, there is something seriously wrong with him. 

Agreed 100%!

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Zella said:

He might also be drinking because he's stressed out about his house of cards collapsing, especially if he felt like his ability to keep the pool boy stuff under wraps was failing. I suspect a lot of his poor decisions were made out of an arrogant belief he was untouchable, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's got some issues beyond that. 

Maybe, but, he's been casually posing for photos with a drink in his hand for quite a while now.  He laughs it off and says, it's not what you think.  Really incredulous.  This wouldn't be such a big issue if he hadn't been the President of a school that absolutely bans all alcoholic beverages.  It's not just frowned on there, it's taboo.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8