Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

In the meantime, I'm pretty happy and loopy about now! 

Excellent. Better living through pharmaceuticals, as we used to say in Ann Arbor in the 70s.

I can’t imagine how much having three hernias must have hurt! You’re one brave cookie. I am crossing all my digits that you will feel so much better when this is finally over.

Jeeesus. Will 2020 never end?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 11

Oh golly me gosh. Y’all need hugs and some of you much more than that. My best goes out to all of you. Huge hugs, empathy and a true understanding. The person I’m holding hands thru cancer had a bad reaction to the stronger chemo. The nurses were everything. 
In the meantime I am praying for all of you. No really. I actually do. 📿

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Surgery went well...Turns out there were actually Three very big and ugly hernias in there!

I'm feeling fine as long as I don't try to do anything involving abdominal muscles. They tried to get me up on my feet a couple of hours ago, which was a total no-go. I did manage, with a great deal of pain and trouble, to swing my legs down to the floor, but putting any weight on them proved impossible, and involved some sobbing on my part - and I generally have pretty high pain tolerance.

Anyway, they are going to try again in a while, but I hope it doesn't string out to when this dose of pain meds starts wearing off again. Which it probably will in an hour or so.

119529199_10158538708912778_3684264715167244633_o.jpg

So happy you’re doing well @Jynnan tonnix! I thought about you all day.  FYI... the IV cart makes an excellent walker for when you need to get around.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Surgery went well...Turns out there were actually Three very big and ugly hernias in there!

I'm feeling fine as long as I don't try to do anything involving abdominal muscles. They tried to get me up on my feet a couple of hours ago, which was a total no-go. I did manage, with a great deal of pain and trouble, to swing my legs down to the floor, but putting any weight on them proved impossible, and involved some sobbing on my part - and I generally have pretty high pain tolerance.

Anyway, they are going to try again in a while, but I hope it doesn't string out to when this dose of pain meds starts wearing off again. Which it probably will in an hour or so.

119529199_10158538708912778_3684264715167244633_o.jpg

Get well soon! I’m happy to hear you made it through surgery!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Prime example of boys losing their softness of facial features and then their attractiveness is Issac Hempstead Wright (Bran from Game of Thrones). 

He was a pretty child, not such a handsome man. He’s fine looking but his face didn’t hold its beauty after puberty. 

I never watched Game of Thrones. Isaac looks pretty good as a young man, but I can see where if you've watched him mature from a very pretty young boy the changes are not very attractive.

Haley Joel Osment has the same effect on me. He was so cute as a little boy but once he hit puberty his head didn't match his body. Pictures of him as a grown man show him to be handsome, but I just can't shake the image of him as a child.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, rue721 said:

The big news here is that it is officially sweater weather — a red letter day as far as my dog is concerned, because she looooooooves wearing clothes and now it’s cool enough for more than just a skimpy little collar. She’s curled up next to me right now, wearing a pink argyle sweater vest, and I doubt she’s ever been happier. Before I adopted her, I had no idea that dogs could be clothes horses 😂

We used to have a cat who liked to wear clothes and jewelry.  Getting to wear my pearls was the highlight of his world.  

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Better living through pharmaceuticals, as we used to say in Ann Arbor in the 70s.

We called it better living through chemicals. I still say that about my mood meds.

Jyn, I'm glad things went well and I hope they're giving you all the care you need to keep you pain-free and healing.

So many of us are going through weird stuff combined with a weird year, it's really nice to have a safe place to share a bit of our lives, happy and sad. I get what @iwantcookies meant, hoping that tomorrow when we all post we get to report that our issues are resolved, not as bad as they could be, or we're more able to cope with them today. 

About face tuning the Duggar kids, I think all the boys are much better looking as girls. Jessa as a boy looks close to what I think Spurgeon will look like as an adult. Jill is a nice looking woman but as a man she is very manly and better looking than any of her brothers. And Josie is going to look just like Michelle. Given that Michelle is so much shorter than the rest of the family, maybe Josie is small because she inherited all the small genes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Haley Joel Osment has the same effect on me. He was so cute as a little boy but once he hit puberty his head didn't match his body. Pictures of him as a grown man show him to be handsome, but I just can't shake the image of him as a child.

I can't unsee his kid's face on him as an adult. Not so much anymore but at one point his face also looked a lot like Mac's from IASIP, and that freaked me out too. Kept expecting Charlie to crawl out of a dumpster and suggest some demented white trash hijinks. 

• Love 1

@Jynnan tonnix, so glad you made it out of surgery ok and have that behind you. Good luck with the walking. From my memory, the main thing to avoid after hernia surgery is coughing, sneezing or laughing!

For the rest of the small talk family waiting for medical results or care, please know you are in my thoughts and I am sending you all well wishes and hugs.

• Love 5

Although this new normal has come to the point of being the new normal for me, I still have days of feeling all the stress. My thoughts sometimes scream in my head, GIVE ME MY OLD LIFE BACK. I often use birthdays as goals. This spring I was saying to my daughter that I think her birthday, in November, would be the beginning of the end of all the crazy and by my birthday, in January, things would be good. Guess I have to reset my thoughts.

Anyway, congratulatory hugs for all the good news and warm hugs for those still going through tough times.

• Love 11

Jynnan tonnix,  how are ya doing  today? hopefully they succeeded in getting you up yesterday. i know its miserable but you will feel better so much faster if you are able to move around.  i am thinking of you!

• Love 9

Jyn, how long will you have to be in the hospital? And are they allowing visitors? A friend of mine had surgery last month and had to stay overnight--her sister dropped her off at the door and then picked her up the next day, but she was by herself the rest of the time. She actually liked it, she said it was a nice break from her family and she doesn't like people hovering over her. I'm having an outpatient procedure next month and I'm hoping Covid rules are still in place and I can do it alone, too. I'm not a fan of being hovered over and taken care of. 

• Love 13
45 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Jyn, how long will you have to be in the hospital? And are they allowing visitors? A friend of mine had surgery last month and had to stay overnight--her sister dropped her off at the door and then picked her up the next day, but she was by herself the rest of the time. She actually liked it, she said it was a nice break from her family and she doesn't like people hovering over her. I'm having an outpatient procedure next month and I'm hoping Covid rules are still in place and I can do it alone, too. I'm not a fan of being hovered over and taken care of. 

@emma675

When I was in the hospital after giving birth, I told one of the nurses that I dreaded having my inlaws visit because when talking to my MIL on the phone, she gave every indication of coming in and expecting to sit holding the baby for the next six hours until it was time for her to go home.  The nurse told me they'd tell any visitors that the doctor had decreed I wasn't allowed visitors, or only had a set limit on the amount of time they could stay.

Tell your doctor and the nurses that you don't want visitors, and they'll make it happen.  If Covid restrictions are released, tell everyone your doctor has advised/forbidden visitors at home for whatever amount of time you prefer.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Tell your doctor and the nurses that you don't want visitors, and they'll make it happen. 

This was my experience, too, though not personally. Last year, I had a relative who was in the hospital for months after a wreck. Her nurses were advised about a really nasty estrangement in the family, and they were very protective of her (and rightly so). 

• Love 10

They are allowing one visitor at a time. Me Jyn was here for a little bit yesterday, and should be getting here again in about 20 minutes. He's not big on spending a whole lot of time, which is fine by me anyway...things just always seem awkward in hospitals. My daughter dropped by for a few minutes yesterday as well, but probably won't have another chance until I get home 

• Love 9

In my experience the faster the results, the greater the potential problem.  So the longer it takes, the more likely you can relax.  When I truly had a problem, I was called in about two hours.  The technicians here flag the more problematic scans so the radiologist can give them expedited attention.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11

@Scarlett45 my daughter is 14 and a freshman in high school. She'll be 15 in December. She wants to start decorating for Halloween in a big bad way. Last year we went to Universal Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights and she loved it. She was part of the National Jr Honor Society  at the time and for a fundraiser they did their version of Horror Nights where classrooms were themed and the NJHS members were actors trying to frighten people. It was a lot of fun. She'd love to do a party here, but she doesn't know anybody and even if she did she wouldn't know them long enough to trust that they're being careful about COVID. Next year, hopefully. 

(We were thinking of going to Horror Nights this year because there was a turns out to be true rumor that there was going to a Beetlejuice house. She loved the musical that was on Broadway last year. It was supposed to close to make may for the Music Man in June, but everything shut down before they got their last show. It's been a tough year for Beetlejuice.)

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

@Scarlett45 my daughter is 14 and a freshman in high school. She'll be 15 in December. She wants to start decorating for Halloween in a big bad way. Last year we went to Universal Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights and she loved it. She was part of the National Jr Honor Society  at the time and for a fundraiser they did their version of Horror Nights where classrooms were themed and the NJHS members were actors trying to frighten people. It was a lot of fun. She'd love to do a party here, but she doesn't know anybody and even if she did she wouldn't know them long enough to trust that they're being careful about COVID. Next year, hopefully. 

(We were thinking of going to Horror Nights this year because there was a turns out to be true rumor that there was going to a Beetlejuice house. She loved the musical that was on Broadway last year. It was supposed to close to make may for the Music Man in June, but everything shut down before they got their last show. It's been a tough year for Beetlejuice.)

Awww poor thing. It’s hard for the young people. I know they miss their friends. 

I love Halloween too! I started decorating on Tuesday. I have never been to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando but I had planned to go this year (pre-pandemic of course). It looks amazing!!!!

Since she loves Beetlejuice would she like any of these things? This is where I got my Halloween Clothes.

The story about the police chase I posted about last night:

Charges Filed Against Two Involved in Robbery and Pursuit Late Wednesday in Schuylkill County

The two arrestees involved in an armed robbery and pursuit in Schuylkill County late Wednesday were charged Thursday afternoon.

According to court papers, on September 16th, 2020, local, state and federal law enforcement officers conducted a controlled purchase of methamphetamine from a man they knew as "Young" in the parking lot of the Unity Food Mart on Lehigh Street in Frackville.

During the controlled buy, the undercover officer entered the dealers vehicle, then exited and returned to his vehicle and reported that he was just robbed.  The officer said that Young and a passenger held him at gunpoint as he entered the vehicle and demanded money.

The suspects fled in their vehicle on Route 61 south.

At the intersection of Route 61 and Jackson Street in Pottsville, Pottsville and Port Carbon Police were waiting and attempted to make a vehicle stop.

The suspects accelerated and continued to flee south on Route 61.

A pursuit ensued until the chase reach the intersection of Route 61 and Route 895 when police attempted to use "stop sticks".

The driver lost control and crashed into a wooded area, and at that point the suspects fled on foot.

Law enforcement remained at the scene until the early morning hours of Thursday searching for the suspects.

Around 7:45am, both suspects, identified as XXXX, 19, of Reading, and XXXXX, 18, of New York, New York were both taken into custody.

An investigation led to the determination that XXXXX was the driver of the vehicle and XXXX was the passenger.

XXXX was charged with robbery, aggravated assault, theft by unlawful taking, and fleeing or attempting to elude police.

Xxxx was charged with the same minus the fleeing and eluding police charge.

Both were arraigned by Magisterial District Judge Christina Hale on Thursday afternoon and locked up in Schuylkill County Prison on $250,000 straight cash bail.

Skook News at 9/17/2020 05:58:00 PM

(I didn’t want to post names)

I’m glad they were caught, but I’m a bit concerned that school bus transportation wasn’t altered this morning.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Nysha said:

We called it better living through chemicals. I still say that about my mood meds.

Given that Michelle is so much shorter than the rest of the family, maybe Josie is small because she inherited all the small genes.

'Better Living Through Chemistry' was the advertising slogan of DuPont Chemical for about 50 years until the '80's.  I think they dropped it when they realized it was being used to describe recreational drug use.

7 hours ago, Zahdii said:

@emma675

When I was in the hospital after giving birth, I told one of the nurses that I dreaded having my inlaws visit because when talking to my MIL on the phone, she gave every indication of coming in and expecting to sit holding the baby for the next six hours until it was time for her to go home.  The nurse told me they'd tell any visitors that the doctor had decreed I wasn't allowed visitors, or only had a set limit on the amount of time they could stay.

Tell your doctor and the nurses that you don't want visitors, and they'll make it happen.  If Covid restrictions are released, tell everyone your doctor has advised/forbidden visitors at home for whatever amount of time you prefer.

Absolutely, the staff is there to aid your recovery.  If there is someone who is not welcome, ask the nurses to put a sign on the door asking visitors to come to the desk and they'll screen them.  Your mom coming and she drives you nuts?  Tell the nurse and he or she will chase Mama away ater 15 minutes if you want.  Just speak up and the staff will do their best to help.  

The COVID crisis has, in some ways, made hospital stays much quieter and more restful.  Allowing only one person to visit and restricting visiting hours has made the staff's work much easier and, most patients seem to appreciate it, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Fallwell's wife called 911 a couple of weeks ago because he had fallen down and injured himself while disposing of alcohol containers. This was shortly after he was forced to resign. The wife refused to give details to the 911 dispatcher because of "who he is".

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Fallwell's wife called 911 a couple of weeks ago because he had fallen down and injured himself while disposing of alcohol containers. This was shortly after he was forced to resign. The wife refused to give details to the 911 dispatcher because of "who he is".

I’m trying to envision how that happens....so did he fall going out to the glass recycle bin or cut himself when he threw a wine bottle into the trash......?  Whatever happened it sounds like it’s not good.  I don’t think most who know of the situation would be surprised though. His wife must really be in denial. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I love Halloween too! I started decorating on Tuesday. I have never been to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando but I had planned to go this year (pre-pandemic of course). It looks amazing!!!!

on the Halloween decorating etc - I saw a cool thing on the news today. a guy decorated a PVC pipe and placed it at an angle so he could drop the candy in from his porch and it would fall in the trick or treater's bucket. I thought that was a great idea.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m trying to envision how that happens....so did he fall going out to the glass recycle bin or cut himself when he threw a wine bottle into the trash......?  Whatever happened it sounds like it’s not good.  I don’t think most who know of the situation would be surprised though. His wife must really be in denial. 

I’m thinking he fell and she couldn’t get him up. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She really loves the $10M buyout too much to rock the boat.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't think she is in denial about the man she married; she knows exactly who he is which is why she is bailing so hard trying to save their sinking ship.  She is in denial if she thinks she can continue to try to cover up and hide their less than godly behavior, though.  

They need a lawyer and a PR consultant to chart a plan which is going to have to include very public confessions from both of them and a trip to rehab for him.  Even then, I think the golden goose has flown the coop.

ETA: I would also not be surprised if his $10mil golden parachute from Liberty didn't include some provision requiring him to stay out of sight and out of trouble which is why she refused to give the 911 operator his name.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

It’s sad for the teens who can’t have so many of the experiences that we had. I remember running around safe for Halloween. Now there is no real going anywhere. I understand this varies due to location and circumstances That’s neat the she liked Beetlejuice on Broadway. I saw it in March about a week before the pandemic closed their doors. I thought it was underrated. 

• Love 1

My mind goes to some dark places (thank you, true crime) admittedly, but my first thought on reading that thing about Falwell Jr. is wondering if the call was a clumsy attempt to avoid saying he'd attempted suicide. Admittedly, though, she may very well have just been being cagey because of the pre-existing scandal. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Was this before or after their revelation that supposedly the Mrs. was a ho but the Mr. was the victim?

• Love 3
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s pretty scary, but, my question is what was wife doing at church at 11:00 p.m.? Hmmmm......right.

I was wondering that too. Also did you notice the time gap between when she claimed she was notified and her calling 911? Hours. I was actually wondering if they'd had fight. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I was wondering that too. Also did you notice the time gap between when she claimed she was notified and her calling 911? Hours. I was actually wondering if they'd had fight. 

It seems like a very dysfunctional situation.....a total cluster.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

'Better Living Through Chemistry' was the advertising slogan of DuPont Chemical for about 50 years until the '80's.  I think they dropped it when they realized it was being used to describe recreational drug use.

That slogan takes on a whole new meaning after you watch the movie Dark Waters.  Corporate greed at it’s finest.  Mark Ruffalo played a good role. If anyone is looking for an interesting movie I highly recommend it. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Absolom said:

In my experience the faster the results, the greater the potential problem.  So the longer it takes, the more likely you can relax.  When I truly had a problem, I was called in about two hours.  The technicians here flag the more problematic scans so the radiologist can give them expedited attention.

I worked in radiology for 31 years.  At our hospital, every x-ray and scan and ultrasound performed before 5 pm was read out by the radiologist that day.  The results are available to the ordering doctor almost immediately.  It just takes time for the doctor to make the call to the patient with results.

If you have your electronic record online, you should be able to sign in and read your results.  Although sometimes the results are not released for your online viewing until your doctor calls and explains your results.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Zella said:

Something is definitely off. The broken door, because she had no keys. Don't most folks have their house key with their car key?

I think she threw him out and he broke the door to get back in. She had no choice but to call 911 when she saw all the blood.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Something is definitely off. The broken door, because she had no keys. Don't most folks have their house key with their car key?

I think she threw him out and he broke the door to get back in. She had no choice but to call 911 when she saw all the blood.

I dont keep my house key with my car key, but this is 2020- if you get locked out of your house you just call or text someone. 

Edited to Add- he was likely drinking and being obnoxious, went outside with no keys and phone, fell and/or fell asleep- she went about her day and evening. He woke up and wanted back in the house, broke the door to get in and she had to call 911 when she saw the blood just like you said. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, louannems said:

I worked in radiology for 31 years.  At our hospital, every x-ray and scan and ultrasound performed before 5 pm was read out by the radiologist that day.  The results are available to the ordering doctor almost immediately.  It just takes time for the doctor to make the call to the patient with results.

If you have your electronic record online, you should be able to sign in and read your results.  Although sometimes the results are not released for your online viewing until your doctor calls and explains your results.

That's the standard where I work, too although I think it is more like 7 PM.  However, once the radiologist does the report, he or she has a chance to review it before it is released which sometimes means a day or so before I, as attending physician, get the report.  Sometimes, in a difficult case, a radiologist will ask a colleague to review the films, too, and the report will reflect that.  Nontheless, working at a massive healthcare conglomerate where literally thousands of radiology exams are done in dozens of locations every day, there is virtually nothing that doesn't get reported out in less than 24 hours.  

The only reason  it might take a couple of days for a patient to get the report is as you described: the ordering physician has to read the report and decide what the next step should be.  I have been known, in more difficult cases, to let it 'simmer' with me for a day or so before deciding what I want to do next. Sometimes, I will ask a colleague to review the chart and see what they think.  If it is a potential malignancy, I may ask an oncologist to review it and let me know if there are any particular tests I should order to get done before the patient sees him or her.

Also, some days I am just swamped with 50 or more lab and radiology results that need reviewed and forwarded to patients in addition to my regular office hours and I just don't get to everything immediately.  Or I take a day off or whatever.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4