Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

No. I’d much rather lie and say that I’m fine, but I’m not. I’m getting hammered by Mr Chemo’s friends and family. What is the saying?  No good deed goes unpunished. 

If all of these people are so very dam*ed concerned about Mr Chemo's well being, why aren't they stepping up to help him?  You've done your share, you've got to take care of yourself.  Instead of chastising you, they should be banding together and figuring it out, it's their turn.

Ann Lander's used to say, 'Nobody can take advantage of you unless you allow it.'  Stay strong and firm; this is not your problem.  

• Love 22
11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Stay strong and firm; this is not your problem.  

I am trying. They have set almost impossible parameters for me. For instance. They want me to get rid of my housekeeper (who also works for the Dr that began the walk in clinic so she gets plenty of free Covid testing and is safe). I had arranged for her to clean his place once a month. I cannot keep up his 4 bedroom house as well as keep up my own...even with help. They have told me that I should not see my family at all...they might be a risk. My daughter, who works in college administration, has been tested a few times too and is negative. She also was a LPN before she changed over to education so she is well aware of mask wearing, hand washing and minimizing risks. I haven’t seen her in ages and had planned a mask wearing short outting with her tomorrow to do food shopping. He is a PIA. Being European he thinks shopping should be done daily according to the whim of what he wants. I can shop for 2 weeks easily and sometimes stretch that for 3 weeks. I pay for all my own food and split costs of anything we eat together. I am also high risk and do not see exposing myself every day as something I want to do. Once a week I can deal with. He refuses to quit drinking although his blood levels warrant it. Why are they hammering me?  His daughter dislikes me and the minute I cannot conform to her (also his best friends wife) parameters then they plan to cut me out and put something in place where I would never be allowed to see him ever again. I find that just plain mean. Here I am putting in 12-14 hour days, free, caring for him, yet I am the bad guy? I live in a close knit community. I would have to consider moving after the neighbors get wind that his family is putting these measures in place. Trust me. I have done nothing wrong or that was not in his best interest. I have even been a Hospice nurse (my career was as a RN) and know a fair bit more about giving someone quality of life without taking away their dignity and some feeling of independence (as long as it is possible) then they ever will.  I’m broken-hearted. I cannot keep up his care, shopping every day and keeping his home pristine without some help or support. So I see the writing on the wall. I’m going to be pushed out of his life. The worst part? This will break his heart too. Sorry for the length of this. I needed to vent. 

• Love 3

@Mindthinkr, Every last one of them needs to get a grip. It sounds like everyone is taking their emotions out on you and that’s wrong and abusive.

Call their bluff? A sentence you can repeat over and over might help: “This is what I can do at this time. You will need to make other arrangements.” My guess is they just want a punching bag who also does all the work. If they do push you away, they will find out just how hard this really is.

Want us to come kick them in the shins? I kick hard.

• LOL 3
  • Love 18

@Oldernowiser I may just take you up on that offer, and thanks for the first smile I’ve cracked today. 
I discussed a watered down version about all of this this morning with him. He is pissed. He states it’s his life and he does not intend to have anyone but me to oversee his care. He already told the best friends wife that he is just too tired to receive company (he lied), so they aren’t coming to “check on things” tomorrow. I think he is maddest that they are getting ready to step in and control his life. I seem to be the obstacle in the way. He also told me not to take anymore phone calls from his best friends wife. He will talk to his daughter today. He had no idea that they had been talking and plotting. I’m taking the day off. I need it for my own sanity...not to mention that I’m tired from not sleeping much last night. Gosh it feels good to get this mental puke out. ❤️

• Love 23

Good for you for standing up for yourself!

As for what “they” might tell people...take it from someone who’s wasted much too much time in my six decades worrying about what other people might think. You can’t make everybody happy or make everyone like you and trying all the time is just fucking exhausting.

Get some healthy food and some rest, yes?

• Love 17

Mindthinkr, you can't be the only one to oversee his care. That's too much for one person and it shouldn't be your responsibility. His family sounds like a dumpster fire of selfish asses and you don't need to take their abuse. You've done far more than most people would have and they are taking advantage of you. Like you said, you've got to take care of yourself and you're a cancer survivor, too. You have to set your limits with them and they can go screw themselves if they have a problem with it. 

My slapping hand is all itchy after reading Jill Rodrigues' latest hate post, so let me know if I need to use on any of them for you.

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thank everyone for their kindness. I told him no, I’m not driving 45 miles each way to a store today that sells a sausage that he’s hungry for tonight. I’m having a nap. A nice long one. Calling my cats to join me and cuddle. 

Brava!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 10
38 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thank everyone for their kindness. I told him no, I’m not driving 45 miles each way to a store today that sells a sausage that he’s hungry for tonight. I’m having a nap. A nice long one. Calling my cats to join me and cuddle. 

Yay you!!! 👏👏

• Love 11
21 hours ago, emma675 said:

I always have a terrible night's sleep the day before I leave on vacation and the night before I go back home. I know it's totally mental but I can't seem to break it. I drove back from the beach today on maybe 3 hours sleep. I'm trying to force myself to stay awake until at least 8:30 so my sleep schedule isn't a mess for days.

zoomama, do you have your surgery scheduled yet or is that still in progress? I'm leaning towards the positive since they didn't find cancer cells on the first biopsy. That's a good start!

nope. did not get the phone call yet from the scheduler.....cant do anything till they call. he did say that i am not going to be on the bottom of the surgical list and that he would use me as a fill in somewhere so he must be understanding my need to get this done and over with. also, i think he was really thrown by the lack of clear biopsy report. 

• Love 7
On 9/25/2020 at 3:21 PM, Oldernowiser said:

I swear this year has made everyone crazy. One of my dog’s incisions is still bleeding a bit three days post surgery. I called the vet’s office to see what his availability is early next week just in case. I got, “I’m sorry, but he’s fully booked all week.” I got snippy: “If this continues over the weekend he’s going to need to be seen on an emergency basis, so somehow that’s going to have to be arranged.” (The “goddamnit” was silent, was strongly implied.) 

FFS.

I think it’s made us all intolerant of bs.  I can remember In The past being told “hey, that’s just how it is”.  My DOG is BLEEDING for 3 days post surgery means YOUUUUUUUU (person being the gatekeeper for the vet) need to say “oh dear!  We’ll have to work you in!”  The answer is not “hey, we’re booked”.  

GGGGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

• Love 3
On 9/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, GeeGolly said:

I'm not what I would call the best sleeper. Getting 6 hours a night, a few nights in a row is a win for me. The last two nights sucked, with last night being awful. I tried to get a nap in this morning with no success. Now I'm trying my best to make it to 8pm, because if I fall asleep too early an exhausting cycle begins. I was hoping a Duggar made the news for some reason, so you all could keep me entertained. No such luck, slow news day for the Duggars.

I am a life long insomniac.  My parents fought with me nightly throughout my childhood.  I SUCK at sleep.  No idea why.  I DOOO know lack of sleep can cause all sorts of long term issues.  I can’t just “nap”.  If I’m not feeling nappy, I can’t just fall off.  OTOH, if I start to droop during the day, don’t mess with me.  Luckily (and living on a compound) everybody understands and respects that.  We are comfortable entering and leaving each other’s houses, but if it’s quiet when they come in mine, they tiptoe around, get what they need and tiptoe out.  Nobody bothers Mama when she has a sleepy moment.  And you’re soooo right @GeeGolly, if I go to sleep at 8 (and sometimes I want to SO badly), I’m up for the day at 3am. 

• Love 8

Weirdest thing ever.  (Well, maybe not EVER... but strange).   I washed the rugs from my husbands bathroom earlier this week.  Didn’t want to put the whole heavy things in drier, so Draped them over the bathroom door in the basement to air dry.
Today I cleaned that bathroom and the floor, wanted to put rugs back down.  I can’t find those rugs ANYWHERE.  
I know that I KNOW I’ve done something with those rugs.  I know this.  I have carefully searched the house, they are nowhere to be seen.  
also:  I am fully aware that I’m going to find them in the freezer or my pajama drawer.  

I have the most ANNOYING habit of laying things aside to do other things.  In Lowe’s, for example, picking up a shelf to judge weight or just to consider... requires laying my phone and keys down on the nearest box.  I don’t “mean” to, I don’t “want” to.  It’s just that in the limited available space of my brain, the keys and phone (or wallet, glasses, kids, sunglasses - whatever) no longer exist. It’s either A or B.  Not simultaneous, and not interchangeable.

AAAAAAAaaaand, I have to tel you something insane.  There is a toy in my house....somewhere..... that occasionally makes this teeny tiny squeak noise.  Randomly.  Just... a little squeak.  It is CREEPING ME OUTTTTTT-tuh.  It happened last night and I stopped and waited (as I always do) to try to determine where it came from.  It’s happened again just now in the last few minutes.  Just a random tiny “squeak”.  Completely bizarre.  

• LOL 7
43 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

There is a toy in my house....somewhere..... that occasionally makes this teeny tiny squeak noise.

When we were going through my daughters stuffies before the big move, she wanted to keep this small Halloween pumpkin, so we tossed it in the keep but put up when we get there bag. And then, randomly, there was and evil cackle...and then Happy Halloween! A few minutes later, it happened again. After about 5 times we dug it out and tried to figure out how to stop it from randomly laughing evilly and saying Happy Halloween. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Maybe it’s a mouse???

That’s what I was about to say. I had a “Mickey” problem this winter (worst I had ever seen in my life and the first in this home- I think a pregnant momma or two got in and started breeding). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

That’s what I was about to say. I had a “Mickey” problem this winter (worst I had ever seen in my life and the first in this home- I think a pregnant momma or two got in and started breeding). 

Would you like to borrow one of my mousers (or both of them). They wouldn’t stand a chance. 

8CE2BD36-E159-4F0D-8C26-D04609BCD79D.jpeg.6158f41ed65ab341e06a55e12472a0b9.jpeg

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Would you like to borrow one of my mousers (or both of them). They wouldn’t stand a chance. 

8CE2BD36-E159-4F0D-8C26-D04609BCD79D.jpeg.6158f41ed65ab341e06a55e12472a0b9.jpeg

You’re so sweet. My old boys Charlie and Mr Norris (May they both Rest In Peace!!!!) didn’t do much, but Blake did a fair amount of hissing around the stove. My Mom and sister live in my downstairs unit and they had the worst of it (likely because I had the cats upstairs). 

I remember we had mice once when I was small, and our cat then Rusty Hunter caught two and it was over. Mr Norris caught one at my Mom’s when I was in college and Blake caught another when I was in law school. This year was truly THE WORST. Took months to get rid of them even with the exterminator, poison, sealing up all the holes in the basement with Great Foam, AND snap traps! It had to be a litter/pregnant momma because my mom saw a dead baby mouse or mouse fetus right in front of the garage door a few weeks before she started hearing the squeaking. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

AAAAAAAaaaand, I have to tel you something insane.  There is a toy in my house....somewhere..... that occasionally makes this teeny tiny squeak noise.  Randomly.  Just... a little squeak.  It is CREEPING ME OUTTTTTT-tuh.  It happened last night and I stopped and waited (as I always do) to try to determine where it came from.  It’s happened again just now in the last few minutes.  Just a random tiny “squeak”.  Completely bizarre.  

Maybe a smoke alarm battery? I know that's usually a more constant chirping, but sometimes they can get weird.

I had an elderly relative who insisted the smoke alarm battery chirps were her pet cricket. She continued to mention it even after the battery was changed, and even months later when she went into a nursing home, to the point where one of the aides asked my aunt who "Cricket" was.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 7

I had mice under my kitchen sink for a few weeks - caught 3 or 4 in a row.  I haven’t seen any evidence that there are more.  
I'm going to say what I “think” I hear.  I could be dead wrong - but there is this rabbit that my ex MIL gave my youngest son (who is now 25) when he was a baby.  His kids ❤️ this rabbit (who has certainly seen better days).  They drag it all over the place and one of them naps with it every day.  I truly believe that buried deeeeeeep within this rabbit is a squeaker.  I think it’s old and faulty.  I think the squeaker gets depressed and what I’m hearing is when it later adjusts itself and fills back up.  The rabbit is always near where I hear the noise but doesn’t look OR feel guilty.  There’s this orange thing on it’s little hand - it’s not a regular embroidery like a paw print, it’s hard and thick.  I’ve tried to squish it but don’t feel it moving.  Still.  Either that rabbit has a wonky squeaker, or is slowly turning into Chuckie.  

watch for updates and wish me luck.  I am the definition of batshit cray when I have a rodent.  

one of the WORST (but funniest!) things that ever happened to me:  before we lived in this shoebox (that we came back to because my Daddy built it and I apparently am into self torture), we had a wonderful big house with wonderful big windows open onto a wonderful pond behind us and a lake in front of us, wonderful high ceilings and a beautiful man cave... oh wait... not in Kansas anymore, Toto.  And a rat.  A RAT!!!  I KNEW I had a rat because I saw his evidence (big FAT evidence).  And I heard him sometimes.  Also, he ATE a chunk of the bulb of my ponytail palm.  Like a bite out of an apple.  One night, I’m in the kitchen, and I HEAR that asswipe under my cabinet.  (Praying to God this is a one-off).  I HEAR HIM!!!  So I pick that moment to call my hubs in from the man cave and give him a lecture on what is good and true and right about marriage.  That he KNOWS my unreasonable terror of rodents (even tiny ones!) and he ought to be FIGURING OUT WHAT TO DO!!!   He says “I’ve set traps, I don’t know what you WANT from me!!!!” I.WANT.YOU.TO.TAKE.CARE.OF.THIS.RAT!!!!!      I was so mad, I kicked the cabinet door for emphasis, and the RAT was so startled, he fell out on the floor and took off into the open part of the house!!!!!  I screamed bloody murder for - guh, I don’t even KNOW how long.  I swear, 911 was almost involved.  I had NO idea where he went!  Talk about sleepless nights!!  It was HORRIFYING!!!  My heart is racing just telling this story now.  
of course the next morning, I called an exterminator who came out with that snap jack thing the size of a car.  He goes under the house and within a couple days catches the rat.  This man, who worked for the extermination company, comes out from under the house with this cat-sized rat clamped in the trap and says “yep, it was a chipmunk, just like I thought”.  (Because he was eating my plants was why he thought that originally).  It was brown, this rat.  We live in the country and apparently we typically have gray rats??  I said “dude, that’s no chipmunk”.  He looks at his rat.  “No?” He asks, agreeably.  Nope.  He’s 3 times the size of a chipmunk, and his tail is 8 inches long.  I’m not all that smart, but that’s no chipmunk.  “Huh”, he says.  He goes and calls his boss and comes back.  Yep, it’s a rat.  But a brown city rat.  Don’t know what he’s doing here.   Me either, and luckily it was a one-off.  Never saw another.  Gives me the willies, remembering that.

Chuckie the rabbit is sitting on a little tiny chair pretty close to me.  I have an ear on this guy.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Maybe a smoke alarm battery? I know that's usually a more constant chirping, but sometimes they can get weird.

OMG ~ that happened to us last year. Husband threw away the smoke alarm in the basement (we got all new ones). Well, apparently he tossed it in the trash can with the battery still installed and forgot about it. We very rarely empty that trash can because, well, it’s in the basement and the worst thing we throw in there is paper/plastic. Well, of course, the battery wore down, as they do. And it was chirping. It was muted a bit, but still chirping. I thought Husband just installed the new smoke alarm somewhere else and left the old one installed. Nope. Drove us CRAZY for a couple weeks. Finally friends of ours came over and I begged him to help find it because I was close to losing my mind at that point. Took him about 5 minutes to find it in the trash can! He is now my most favorite friend ever!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
25 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

OMG ~ that happened to us last year. Husband threw away the smoke alarm in the basement (we got all new ones). Well, apparently he tossed it in the trash can with the battery still installed and forgot about it. We very rarely empty that trash can because, well, it’s in the basement and the worst thing we throw in there is paper/plastic. Well, of course, the battery wore down, as they do. And it was chirping. It was muted a bit, but still chirping. I thought Husband just installed the new smoke alarm somewhere else and left the old one installed. Nope. Drove us CRAZY for a couple weeks. Finally friends of ours came over and I begged him to help find it because I was close to losing my mind at that point. Took him about 5 minutes to find it in the trash can! He is now my most favorite friend ever!

I remember that!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

We have lived in this house for almost 5 years. Soon after we moved the alarms got wonky. Apparently they are hardwired in and they talk to each other. So the electrician came and did a whole new set. Except one of them turned out bad. Came back and replaced free. Then last week the one that screeches FIRE FIRE FIRE near the bedroom went off early in the am. Mr lookeyloo took it down and the electrician came again and replaced that one for free. Says sometimes they go bad. We use licensed electricians so hope they know the scoop.  

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

We have lived in this house for almost 5 years. Soon after we moved the alarms got wonky. Apparently they are hardwired in and they talk to each other. So the electrician came and did a whole new set. Except one of them turned out bad. Came back and replaced free. Then last week the one that screeches FIRE FIRE FIRE near the bedroom went off early in the am. Mr lookeyloo took it down and the electrician came again and replaced that one for free. Says sometimes they go bad. We use licensed electricians so hope they know the scoop.  

4 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I didn’t realize that the hardwired ones could expire until mine went last fall. Fortunately it was easy enough for me to replace. Now when I replace one I write the date on it in marker so I know when to replace them.

And one detector is the 'main brain'. When the main brain gets tired, the rest will start acting up. We just went through changing ours as well, over the last few months. Very frustratingly amusing when you have three adults all trying to find the offending alarm.

Great idea Marge! Next time I will write the dates on the detectors and all of the dates on a note pad, so we'll know which one to check first when we hear that damn chirping!

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

My son is visually impaired and you know what they say, when you lose one of your senses, the others seem to magnify. Well, I call him Spidey-ears because of his uncanny sense of hearing. In this ridiculous technological world, we’ve always got something chirping or beeping around us. I can never figure where the sound is coming from but my own personal “Spider-Man “ figures it out every time!

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I'm sad about the mice stories...but because the champion mouser of all time, Ringo AKA Little Man AKA Sofa King isn't here anymore to catch the little bastards.  Ollie is too dim, could care less.  The other two might be up to the task but won't kill - more like play with them until they either stroke out or they get bored and let them go.  Ringo was all business, he'd hunt and wait and kill 'em.  Bit messy for my taste but they were gone to mousie heaven.  I'm fearful this fall/winter because...landlord got after the neighbors and told them to clean their house or move.  Not the younger kids he had to get after a year or so ago but the couple that live right next door.  He'd been over there to start on some outside repairs and didn't like what he saw.  Two huge skips they rented...and filled up.  Completely filled up.  How do people have that much junk?  I shouldn't ask that, I've seen Hoarders, I know when I clean out my dad's place it'll be the same but sheesh, it's gotta be pretty awful.  So I'm expecting some visitors.  Mini Malotte when she moved out took her kitty with and that half siamese little gal is a great huntress like our Ringo, and damned smart for a cat, I know she'd be after mouse invaders 24/7.  Wish the daughter hadn't taken her. 

Bit down today anyway.  I feel stupid for even typing it, I've tried to be optimistic throughout this very trying time we all are having, and frankly my problems aren't making any waves on the Emotional Richter scale compared to others.  The husband said something mean spirited to me last night and it's just reverberated with me to that I'm in tears most of this morning.  Not outright crying, but just so sad.  Over something stupid as well.  When the Mini moved out we got her room cleaned out, there's nothing in there now really, but there's all sorts of boxes and 'stuff' hanging around that I've made it a mission to either sort for Goodwill or throw away.  Like old toys, books, clothes - maybe just one box a day or a drawer, but something everyday gets done even if it's one little thing.  I finally have a closet back so my bed linens went in there.  He made a critical remark about how I hadn't put things on the right shelf, and they weren't folded, why can't I do things neatly.  I had forgotten about it, refolding was on my mental list of things to do but I'd just forgotten about it, I had probably shoved them on whatever shelf was open just to get them out of my way because I was doing five things at the same time.  I don't know why that one comment just has slayed and stayed with me but it has.  All the other shit I do, his bills are paid, he's got insurance, he doesn't cook...all of that.  Jerk never looks at the long or bigger picture, just has his horse blinders on what's in front of him that moment.  

I really wish I could get rid of him for a few days.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

I really wish I could get rid of him for a few days.  

Aw, CM... want us to add him to the Shin Kicking List?

As he has gotten older, my usually lovely husband has also started up with the occasional pompous opinion about whatever I’m doing. Because he is usually lovely, I give him the benefit of the doubt for two or three...then I give him The Look. I am also not above pointing out that acting exactly like my deceased control-freak father is never going to get him laid.

I send you a hug.

• LOL 16

so are we doing good news sunday or was it a one time thing?

this week I have been refinishing a rocking chair and making seat covers with Harry Potter fabric for my neice's baby shower. Harry Potter themed nursery would not be my choice, but the chair is cute

• Love 12
Just now, crazy8s said:

so are we doing good news sunday or was it a one time thing?

this week I have been refinishing a rocking chair and making seat covers with Harry Potter fabric for my neice's baby shower. Harry Potter themed nursery would not be my choice, but the chair is cute

You cannot go wrong with Harry Potter themed anything, IMO.

Another beautiful autumn day here on the North Coast.  Upper 70's, sunny, nice breeze.  Planting spring bulbs in the yard while listening to the Browns game.  Indians play at 3 PM.  Hanging with the dogs, sipping rum and coke.  Good day.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

As he has gotten older, my usually lovely husband has also started up with the occasional pompous opinion about whatever I’m doing. Because he is usually lovely, I give him the benefit of the doubt for two or three...then I give him The Look. I am also not above pointing out that acting exactly like my deceased control-freak father is never going to get him laid.

I don't usually quote Dr. Phil, but I think for husbands who get that way this line works well:  "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

I am also not above pointing out that acting exactly like my deceased control-freak father is never going to get him laid.

IKR!!!!  Sorry to be borderline TMI but he made a comment this morning about 'oh you were really dead asleep last night' meaning I wasn't joyfully available.  The hell with that shit.  Oh sure, being an over critical asshole and political  nutjob neanderthal  is just such a turn on, how can I resist?  Ripping my home to shreds for months on end with home improvement crap, that so gets me hot and bothered...but not in the way he wants.

Best Three Stooges line - are you married, or happy?  

I cleaned the fridge out, that's as clean happy as I'm going to get today. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

My good news is that I got the right women on the phone at the vet yesterday after my dog’s incision looked even worse and I emailed them gory photos. They recommended hot compresses 3-5 times a day (why of course I’m doing it 6 times a day, surely y’all are aware of my obsessive tendencies by now) and while it’s still oozing a bit, it looks a bit better today and doesn’t smell quite as infected. The vet is supposed to call me first thing tomorrow and I suspect my boy is going to be on antibiotics.

The really good news is that I didn’t have to try to hoist 80 lbs of retriever by myself into the tiny back of our ancient “only goes to Home Depot” truck yesterday for a trip to the Emergency Vet. Because, of course, my husband was out of town in our SUV for the first time in all of 2020 for one day. Reason for his trip? Buying a new truck that will have more riding room for both dogs.

My life is irony-rich.

• Love 20

I finally got some booze to replenish what we had to finish before moving. It wasn't a ton, but a big thing of honey whiskey, some Gosling's Black Seal rum and some Baileys. And then we went to a different store and picked up some Aviator gin which is actually decent. I was pretty happy last night sipping my nightcap of honey whiskey.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

I don't know how this happens ...

We use our front door as our primary door. Up until the pandemic I was walking in that door at least once a day. During the pandemic we have used the back door a little more, bringing in groceries and items for projects in the backyard and our front door a lot less, because we're not leaving the house as often. The last three times I came in the front door I noticed how dirty the front porch was. How I hadn't noticed it while I was using this entrance daily is beyond me.

Anyway - Good News Sunday - we spray washed and cleaned the front porch.

• Love 18

Good news:  I did two of my most disliked errands/tasks this week so I have months before having to do either again!  The sun is shining and it's mid70s and breezy in southern California and hopefully the last heatwave will be over by Friday.  The dog is shiny white and no longer yellow and gray although my back is complaining about the bath.  And possibly best of all I cut the cable cord.  The DVRs went back to the cable company on Friday.  I do have a Roku to install, but the Firestick is doing fine. 

• Love 17

It's almost 90 degrees today but we're having a cold front overnight and the highs will be in the 70s next week. Finally, fall! Plus, the dog is being a cuddle bug after being at the kennel all week. She's normally like a cat, only wants to be snuggly on her terms or if there is food involved. 

• Love 9

My good news is that I just got back from a weekend away with my boyfriend, and it was fantastic. We went to the beach and to visit his sister (my first time meeting her), and had a very fun time — everyone even liked each other and enjoyed each others’ company. And we got to put our feet in the ocean! I love listening to the waves and walking on the sand, it’s so calming.

I also usually only get one night with him a week, between work and pet care and studying for exams and all that, so having a bit more time together was wonderful.

• Love 17