Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

My Sunday good news is that I saw a couple of the women from my ladies group today! Distanced, masked and outdoors on this beautiful day! I got to see a couple of lambs too. I had a lovely walk and ....what else? Oh! We've been enjoying Lark Rise to Candleford, thanks to the suggestion of some lovely small talkers here 😊 (also the Bears won!)

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

My Sunday good news is that I saw a couple of the women from my ladies group today! Distanced, masked and outdoors on this beautiful day! I got to see a couple of lambs too. I had a lovely walk and ....what else? Oh! We've been enjoying Lark Rise to Candleford, thanks to the suggestion of some lovely small talkers here 😊 (also the Bears won!)

To add to my good news, both the Browns and the Indians won today!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

To add to my good news, both the Browns and the Indians won today!

@doodlebug, Nick Chubb is from my small town in Georgia.  I have never met him, but by all accounts he is a fine young man.. I have worked with several of his relatives and they were wonderful ladies. 

• Love 2

My happy news - my job interview went well last week and I am doing the final round this week with VPs. Still not sure I want the job (the money will have to be really really good) but it’s nice to get some more interview practice (it’s been 8 years since my last one). In even better news, I am going on sabbatical starting at 5:00 on Friday. By 5:01 there will be a drink in my hand and some takeout on the way. I won’t go back to the office until Nov. 3.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My good Sunday news is that I had two naps.
Napping is unusual for me so this was definitely out of the norm, but they felt so good. 

You needed the sleep! And I’m so glad you got it. Hooray, you!

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

My son is visually impaired and you know what they say, when you lose one of your senses, the others seem to magnify. Well, I call him Spidey-ears because of his uncanny sense of hearing. In this ridiculous technological world, we’ve always got something chirping or beeping around us. I can never figure where the sound is coming from but my own personal “Spider-Man “ figures it out every time!

I need to borrow him!

2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Jill Rod as a man!

D0545C55-0735-4D7B-9C66-5421C9D75616.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣💀💀💀

That is AWFULNESS in a box!!!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

We have lived in this house for almost 5 years. Soon after we moved the alarms got wonky. Apparently they are hardwired in and they talk to each other. So the electrician came and did a whole new set. Except one of them turned out bad. Came back and replaced free. Then last week the one that screeches FIRE FIRE FIRE near the bedroom went off early in the am. Mr lookeyloo took it down and the electrician came again and replaced that one for free. Says sometimes they go bad. We use licensed electricians so hope they know the scoop.  

We had a hardwired alarm for awhile on a ceiling near the the kitchen. It kept going off when I seared hamburgers or steaks the way we like them. I could never figure out how to turn it off or reset it, and hated having to climb a step stool to reach it. We had it taken out, went back to the battery type we had before that I can reach, and now I’m happy again. Still searing meat and “burning” butter, but if the alarm goes off, I can deal with it.

(My husband has fallen twice in two years, dislocated shoulder 1st time and twelve stitches in forehead the 2nd. He is not “allowed” on step-stools or ladders. 😉)

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 3
On 9/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, Happyfatchick said:

@iwantcookies, I am so glad you don’t have cancer lurking in your belly.  OTOH, you said your belly was tight and the skin was getting hard - which makes me feel like you have a pretty whipper-snapper case of shingles going on.  Never been there but I hear it’s miserable.  Do whatever the doc says, do it carefully and diligently and get rid of that as fast as you can.  I assume you read up on shingles - can it recur?  Are there different strains?  What is the cure?  Does it itch?  How big is your “spot?

i don’t have all the toddler grands today - I can’t even tell you how wonderful that news was.  BUTTTTT... the reason I DON’T have them is because their dad (my youngest) is a high school resource officer and the school has been shut down for Covid.  They just opened last week (maybe 2 weeks).  Not sure when they’ll be back.  Generally if the kids arent there, HE still is - this time they sent everyone home.  Either way, it meant I got Friday off after watching those monsters all week.  I have a list of things I needed to do this week but couldn’t with them here and completely lacked the enrgy after they left. That’s all.  Just a list.  No progress.  

i don’t know:  sitting, listening to nothing, not chasing, not fussing, not organizing, not pouring or cleaning, spreading, cutting, switching, kissing booboos, separating, demanding, wheedling, bargaining, distracting, dictating, negotiating, reading, cautioning, watching, anticipating.... just sitting... listening to the dogs bark about the trash pickup on an otherwise quiet day -listening to sounds of preparation for fall...

true story: I pulled a tiny American flag and a Barbie from under the cushions and fell asleep typing that. 

ETA:  “switching” doesn’t mean mean I’m chasing them switching their legs with a tiny little branch of a tree.  I meant switching items, as in “I want the BLUE one”, or “no, I get the one with the unicorn!!”   I am of the generation and the lineage where “go outside and find me a good switch” was a fact.   May the god in charge of disciplining babies strike me DEAD if I ever switch the legs of my grand babies.  I mean that.  

I'm glad you clarified about the switching! The tree branch was the first thing that came to my mind!

Shingles can be truly awful.   My dad had a bad case of it.  Before he was diagnosed, he put a heating pad on it and somehow burned himself and ended up needing debridement surgery.

A few years ago I got the shingles vaccine, but just last week I received the new shingles vaccine.  I go back in six weeks for part two.

• Love 8

PupWiser’s incision is worse and he’s in pain. He’s a retriever...they have an almost limitless pain threshold and I am UPSET. I have an urgent call into the vet and if I get even a inkling of “we’re fully booked” I am going to cut a bitch.

ETA: Vet is seeing him at noon on his lunch hour, so I will hold off on the violence...for now. 😡

The stupid part is that I had them remove that cyst because it kept scabbing over and then opening up and I was afraid it would get infected. Did I mention how irony is my life theme?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3

@Oldernowiser, sending best wishes for your pup. 

I missed our "good news Sunday" discussion because I took a break from the innernetz. Instead, early on Sunday morning I impulsively hopped in the minivan and hit the freeway. I drove to a couple of cities south of here and did some exploring. Visited a fairly new and very nice state park in one city and enjoyed the downtown riverwalk in the other, which impressed me greatly. The weather was nicer down there than here, as a front was moving in on us from the north but hadn't reached those places until I was about ready to head home.

I'm hoping to take some days off in a couple of weeks, and don't want to travel far, so I was scouting potential camping/touring locations in that part of the state. I wish I could go as far south as New Mexico, but their state parks are still completely closed to visitors from out of state. I mean, you can't even enter, much less use their campgrounds. I'm okay with that, and I hope that some time next year they will reopen to us foreigners.

I got home from my little trip just about in time to watch the beginning of the Broncos game, turn it off (my homies are a terrible lousy awful team these days, just fecking leaderless as the Bowlen family fights over who should be in charge), pick up a crime novel I was reading - and fall asleep on the sofa for a refreshing Sunday afternoon nap, lol. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8

Okay, the good news is that we’re home from the vet and PupWiser is now on major antibiotics and has more pain meds. The EXTREMELY SEVERELY bad news is that this vet, who is so good with my dogs, including my old nervous rescue boy who has behavioral issues and is A Challenge To Examine, is moving out of state next week. DAMMIT. 

Would 2020 just fuck off already?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

@ginger90 how is your ex husband doing? 

He’s actually been discharged. I think his girlfriend misinterpreted what she was being told, or she’s just a dumb ass. One of my daughters got information from a nurse. Turns out he had a gallstone, which was in the process of passing. He had all kinds of testing, a scope, etc. Last I know he hadn’t passed it, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t, and is to follow up in a week. In the future his girlfriend will not be on my list of trusted sources. She made it seem he had pancreatic and liver cancer.

Thank you for asking.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I have been having dreams that my mom is dragging me to my grave. In my dream I’m crying and don’t want to die.

That’s freaking me out.

Yikes, what a nightmare. Sometimes our dreams/nightmares are helping us process and release some hard to have thoughts. A lot of folks are having an increase in scary dreams due to the current state of affairs in our country. Many dreams can mix the past, present and future together in non-sensical ways. If they continue, I'd recommend journaling a bit before you go to sleep.

Here's hoping your future dreams are about sunshine, rainbows and unicorns! 

• Love 7
On 9/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, frenchtoast said:

When we were going through my daughters stuffies before the big move, she wanted to keep this small Halloween pumpkin, so we tossed it in the keep but put up when we get there bag. And then, randomly, there was and evil cackle...and then Happy Halloween! A few minutes later, it happened again. After about 5 times we dug it out and tried to figure out how to stop it from randomly laughing evilly and saying Happy Halloween. 

My dad had a terrible pumpkin that would cackle and say awful Halloween things (I've blurred out the specifics but he loved it and liked to get it to "talk" to you while you were on the phone with him). We "forgot" to move it to his memory care facility when we cleaned out his house. Oopsie-daisy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

As much as I normally like to decorate for Halloween, this year I’m going to pass and just go for Christmas super early.  I’m passing on the candy too.

No Halloween here either. Our street has always been one of those streets, where families from not so ideal neighborhoods would come over by car for their kids to trick or treat. It was wonderful, the street being so alive and joyful. The last few years less and less homes on the street are giving out candy. The last couple of years our granddog has become a bit agitated by trick or treaters as well. So this year the lights will stay off. A little bit sad and a little bit of a relief. 

• Love 13

I always loved living on busy streets at Halloween.  My baby sons (senior?) year, we toook off on a whim and flew up to DC for the weekend.  I went to the thrift store and bought khaki pants and shirt and sewed those suckers so tight, made badges and had plastic handcuffs - he was the guy from Reno 911.  Dangle?  We went as Drew Carey and Mimi - I made our costumes, and they were great, but we couldn’t compete.  They stop traffic in DC (or used to) on M street and people just walk up and down.  People were hollering and yelling at him - he was the most popular person there!  Cops loved him!!!  He must have had his pic taken 1000X that night.  It was chilly; he was a little bit blue-ish but he had fun.  

he’s kind of a nut job, my son.  Imagine that.  So he strolls right up to a police car, leans on the window frame and says (with his tight pants/shorts butt all hiked up in the air) and SO adult like: 

this is....uhhhhh... embarrassing, as you can imagine.  But.... uhhhhhh.   I’m gonna have to ask you to move your car...... you’ll notice we have ..... uhhhhh..... regular citizens on the road tonight and at this point you’re impeding traffic... sooooo.... ahhhhhh.... I’m gonna give you 10 minutes and I’ll check back.  Don’t make me write yiu a citation. 

he stands up, hikes his leg up off the curb, does a double tap on the window sill, points at the guy and walks off.  People were HOWLING!!!  

it was one the better moments of his whole childhood. He had that moment where everything just fell in place perfectly.  Sooo so funny.  

B670FDB9-24D8-42C6-87A2-05F901B8AA86.jpeg

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

I will need surgery on both my legs as soon as insurance agrees to it. I’m just bawling right now. Yay 2020. I don’t have shingles. 

And my 3 wrong things on ct scan on top of that. Which one do I tackle first??? 

Took 3 doctors to give me a right diagnosis for my legs. 3!!!

Do not take your health for granted! 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 1

@iwantcookies

❤️❤️❤️BREATHE ❤️❤️❤️

your upset has all of us sitting here with our fingers in our mouths.  Maybe you can’t tonight, let it rest, or talk if you need to.  But you have to tell us what’s happened.

if there’s no shingles, what’s going on with the skin on your stomach?  
what’s up with your legs?  Have you said there’s something wrong with your legs and I missed it?

am I understanding you have 3 separate and distinct medical issues?  

big hugs to you sistah.  Maybe tomorrow you’ll feel more like giving us some deets?

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I always loved living on busy streets at Halloween.  My baby sons (senior?) year, we toook off on a whim and flew up to DC for the weekend.  I went to the thrift store and bought khaki pants and shirt and sewed those suckers so tight, made badges and had plastic handcuffs - he was the guy from Reno 911.  Dangle?  We went as Drew Carey and Mimi - I made our costumes, and they were great, but we couldn’t compete.  They stop traffic in DC (or used to) on M street and people just walk up and down.  People were hollering and yelling at him - he was the most popular person there!  Cops loved him!!!  He must have had his pic taken 1000X that night.  It was chilly; he was a little bit blue-ish but he had fun.  

he’s kind of a nut job, my son.  Imagine that.  So he strolls right up to a police car, leans on the window frame and says (with his tight pants/shorts butt all hiked up in the air) and SO adult like: 

this is....uhhhhh... embarrassing, as you can imagine.  But.... uhhhhhh.   I’m gonna have to ask you to move your car...... you’ll notice we have ..... uhhhhh..... regular citizens on the road tonight and at this point you’re impeding traffic... sooooo.... ahhhhhh.... I’m gonna give you 10 minutes and I’ll check back.  Don’t make me write yiu a citation. 

he stands up, hikes his leg up off the curb, does a double tap on the window sill, points at the guy and walks off.  People were HOWLING!!!  

it was one the better moments of his whole childhood. He had that moment where everything just fell in place perfectly.  Sooo so funny.  

B670FDB9-24D8-42C6-87A2-05F901B8AA86.jpeg

OMG too cool!

• Love 1

The weather here is driving me and my fellow allergy sufferers crazy down here lately! It was in the low 70s yesterday and today it's almost 90 degrees. It's like, pick a season already Texas! I don't like wearing sweats while also sporting mosquito bites, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

@emma675, the weather gods have big issues sorting out and agreeing on a weather pattern in your state. They’re all afraid of whoever paints the big “don’t mess with Texas”signs.  So instead of a meeting where they discuss and reach a consensus, there’s a big weather wheel.  Straws are drawn, loser spins and there’s your weather for the day.  They decided drawing straws made it a somewhat democratic process.  Name of the loser who spins every day is guarded more closely than the Mason’s handshake.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Sweet son’s scans were not good. Dr switching him to another chemo pill. Explained that while there are still a few treatments that might work, at some point the body is too weak to continue them with good results. Sweet son is in pain or uncomfortable all the time. He tries to sleep it off. My heart is breaking. He has all the options open to him regarding pain relief. He works with the palliative care doctors. But those drugs come with problems too. He keeps asking me to find a magic cure and to nurse him back to health.  I do what I can but those things are out of my power. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Sweet son’s scans were not good. Dr switching him to another chemo pill. Explained that while there are still a few treatments that might work, at some point the body is too weak to continue them with good results. Sweet son is in pain or uncomfortable all the time. He tries to sleep it off. My heart is breaking. He has all the options open to him regarding pain relief. He works with the palliative care doctors. But those drugs come with problems too. He keeps asking me to find a magic cure and to nurse him back to health.  I do what I can but those things are out of my power. 

Only positive thoughts going out to all of you.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

So sorry Lookey, so sorry for all of you. There really are no words. Its so unfair that you all are going through this. Warm hugs to you.

• Love 18