Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@Jynnan tonnix - I read over on the other thread about your "interest" shall we say in McDonalds.  I love me a hamburger happy meal with full fries and a diet coke, 2 or 3 times a year.  My brother is sweet and sends me a gift card every year for my birthday.  Of course I can afford it, but, it is our thing.  I know it isn't a quality burger but sometimes it is my comfort.  There is a place here in Atlanta called Grindhouse Killer Burgers and those are my favorite "real" burgers.

http://www.grindhouseburgers.com

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Brought over from Jer & Jing thread...

I'm totally a burger enthusiast, and hate an overdone burger (there has to be a hint of pink, and preferably medium-rare), but on the other hand, McDonald's burgers are a total comfort food to me. I probably don't have but one every year or two (or three), and recognize that they are total crap and not even in the same food category as a bona-fide burger, but I can't help it. I just love them! LOL. And the fries. Add in a diet coke, even though I never drink diet anything anymore and it's heaven LOL. Actually, come to think of it, the only time I drink soda is when I have a McDonald's burger as well. Seltzer with a bit of cranberry or OJ, yes, but not soda.

See, now McDonalds is different, especially if it has the "Coke Freestyle" machine, which has a whiff of the soda fountain about it (how I discovered that orange Coke is surprisingly good).  And I do go there at least once a month and get crispy chicken.  It's just somewhere along the line - I don't even know when - I noticed NYC McD's in particular seem to do bad burgers!  I went several years ago in the Bronx and had one Double Quarter Pounder which was actually juicy; and then I went back about a week or so later trying to replicate the experience, it was that good; only to never had its like appear again (I assume they probably fired the grill person who didn't smash all the juice and grease out of it, lol). I also miss McD's french fries in good old-fashioned beef tallow.  I still eat them with pleasure upon occasion; but for some reason the occasional batch put me off.  Once I swore that one batch when lukewarm/cool tasted strongly of ham, which would be great if I was getting a biscuit sandwich; but was surprisingly off-putting when it came to being coupled with the fries.

2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@queenanne - that was a very well written and entertaining read!

Thanks, @BetyBee!  I'm trying conscientiously to be "on" in my writing these days because next month I hope to start National Novel Writing Month and actually complete something this year, being as I was recently laid off from my job and have a bit of severance laid by.  In prior years I've always had to work (think the last time I was out of a job was late 90's), and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do when I'm not worn down from work:

https://www.nanowrimo.org/

Once upon a time, I heard a theory that said that some pirates' treasure including I think even the fabled Bluebeard, was reported to have washed out to sea off the Florida Keys - along with the actual Key.  Because some of the smaller islands (and I'm assuming "really small, ha) have been factually known to erode to the point where they break off their connection to the earth's crust and go sailing out into the Atlantic en masse; which I thought was fascinating.  (Moral:  Watch out for floating islands!)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

See, now McDonalds is different, especially if it has the "Coke Freestyle" machine, which has a whiff of the soda fountain about it (how I discovered that orange Coke is surprisingly good).  And I do go there at least once a month and get crispy chicken.  It's just somewhere along the line - I don't even know when - I noticed NYC McD's in particular seem to do bad burgers!  I went several years ago in the Bronx and had one Double Quarter Pounder which was actually juicy; and then I went back about a week or so later trying to replicate the experience, it was that good; only to never had its like appear again (I assume they probably fired the grill person who didn't smash all the juice and grease out of it, lol). I also miss McD's french fries in good old-fashioned beef tallow.  I still eat them with pleasure upon occasion; but for some reason the occasional batch put me off.  Once I swore that one batch when lukewarm/cool tasted strongly of ham, which would be great if I was getting a biscuit sandwich; but was surprisingly off-putting when it came to being coupled with the fries.

Thanks, @BetyBee!  I'm trying conscientiously to be "on" in my writing these days because next month I hope to start National Novel Writing Month and actually complete something this year, being as I was recently laid off from my job and have a bit of severance laid by.  In prior years I've always had to work (think the last time I was out of a job was late 90's), and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do when I'm not worn down from work:

Once upon a time, I heard a theory that said that some pirates' treasure including I think even the fabled Bluebeard, was reported to have washed out to sea off the Florida Keys - along with the actual Key.  Because some of the smaller islands (and I'm assuming "really small, ha) have been factually known to erode to the point where they break off their connection to the earth's crust and go sailing out into the Atlantic en masse; which I thought was fascinating.  (Moral:  Watch out for floating islands!)

Good luck with NaNo. I have several friends who participate. Here to cheerlead if you want.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, queenanne said:

I am so glad to hear you are participating in the novel writing month. I think you are a terrific writer, and I always look forward to your posts. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m getting ready for my trip (I’m more concerned about the 60 people coming over tomorrow night for the block party). My time will be at warp speed for the next few days. So I’m making a list. Who would like candles lit for them (or a family member) while I’m at my favorite Saint’s church? 

@lookeyloo Your son is already on the list. 

This is so lovely and thoughtful.  Please light a candle for me and my family.  I will be praying for you and your friend to have safe and blessed travel.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m getting ready for my trip (I’m more concerned about the 60 people coming over tomorrow night for the block party). My time will be at warp speed for the next few days. So I’m making a list. Who would like candles lit for them (or a family member) while I’m at my favorite Saint’s church? 

Could you light one for me please and one in memory of Arwen, I think I spelled her name right, if not would someone please correct the spelling. Although with all the responses you are getting it may be easier just to light one for the entire Prayer Closet. God can sort of all out.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Could you light one for me please and one in memory of Arwen, I think I spelled her name right, if not would someone please correct the spelling. Although with all the responses you are getting it may be easier just to light one for the entire Prayer Closet. God can sort it all out.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

What saint?  If its Saint Anne (or at this point Saint Jude), please light me a candle.   An old nun taught me this one," Saint Anne,  Saint Anne  find me a man, as fast as you can."

• LOL 9

I visited key west for the first time on a cruise this summer and loved it!  One day was nowhere near enough!  We went in the world famous conch train tour, and had conch fritters at the conch shack. Squeezed in a visit to the beach, too, which was breathtaking!

need to return and go to sloppy joes, visit Hemingway’s house and cats, and  snorkel! 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:
10 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Could you light one for me please and one in memory of Arwen, I think I spelled her name right, if not would someone please correct the spelling. Although with all the responses you are getting it may be easier just to light one for the entire Prayer Closet. God can sort it all out.

I remember Arwen. That will definitely be one lit. 

9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

What saint? 

Saint Anthony in Padua. I use him so frequently, since my childhood, that we are on a first name basis and he doesn’t even seem to mind. 

• Love 11
21 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I remember Arwen. That will definitely be one lit. 

Saint Anthony in Padua. I use him so frequently, since my childhood, that we are on a first name basis and he doesn’t even seem to mind. 

Please add me to your list or to the Prayer Closet candle (good idea.) . Sometimes I think a prayer or remembrance works as well  the medicine I take so I never pass up an offer. Thank you.

BTW my husband's middle name is Anthony, named after the Saint, one of my mother-in-law's favorites as well. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I had an aunt whose favorite saint was Anthony.  She referred to him as 'my boy Tony' and constantly encouraged friends and family to pray for his intercession.

Are you going to THE Padua?  Beautiful church on a cute town square.  Be sure to look for the alcove in the church where various items from St Anthony's time are on display.  There are some chalices made by his order, the remains of a wooden coffin in which a monk from that era was buried, a monk's robe.  And, of course, the piece de resistance:  St. Anthony's vocal cords and tongue in a display case.  The rest of him is in the tomb, but that is just lying out for the world to see.  Apparently, he was known as a compelling speaker which is why that gets the spotlight.

My sister and I went years ago and, before we left, my aunt told us to buy her a medal in the church gift shop.  She very specifically told me to avoid buying the medal from 'any guy with a card table out in front of the church'.  I don't know who told her there were people selling rosaries, medals, etc from card tables in front of all the big churches, but there are.  Anyway, we got to Padua, toured the church and tried to find the gift shop.  No dice, we looked and looked and we couldn't locate it.  What did we do?  Went straight outside and bought a medal from a guy with a card table out front.  We then took it back inside, dunked in the holy water font and rubbed it on Tony's tomb to charge it up.  My aunt wore it for the rest of her life and we never spilled the beans about the card table.

Yes, I am going to “the” Church in Padua where St Anthony is. My beau’s 93 year old Uncle lives there. He attends mass at that church every single day. He will be giving me my private tour. What that entails exactly...I am humbled to find out. It will be interesting to find out why they have those certain artifacts...body parts. To me this is more than a tourist experience. I hope that I hope that it’s moving. Others have told me how beautiful the area is and it will be exciting to explore.  I intend to light many candles when I’m at the church and pray. I’ll look for the gift shop inside and not buy from the men out front with card tables lol. I’m happy for you that you and your sister had a good experience there. 

• Love 13

All this talk about not buying from the men outside the church in Italy reminds me of the  time I was there.  Out tour guide Vanda gave our group that warning every morning.   We realized on day 2 that the reason for this was her pocketbook.   She was getting kickbacks from specific vendors or shops.  The guys with their card tables were selling the same stuff as the Vanda-Approved guys sometimes cheaper,  sometimes more expensive.   It just depended on the town.  Vanda was a trip.  She chain-smoked some super thin cigarettes and wore sunglasses at all times.   I have a group picture somewhere and Vanda is there on the side cigarette in hand.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I had a tour guide similar to Vanda in Italy. He would take us to all of the most "exclusive", most "culturally accurate" stores in Italy. We figured out pretty quick that the shop owners were his friends or business associates. It wasn't a total loss, he was friends with leather workers in Florence and glass blowers in Venice and I have some lovely souvenirs. I treasure them as much as the probably made in China glass Christmas tree I bought from a card table in Venice. For me, the memories are more important than whether it was actually made in Italy. Either way, I bought it all in Italy, lol.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

The wind is brutal today, but I am well south of the main fire in NoCal.

O, my gosh.  Brutal is hardly the word here in the valley.  I drove by lots of "downed" tree limbs on the way to church.  It does not seem to be letting up yet, either.  I'm glad I'm not involved with almonds or walnuts.  This wind could really mean trouble.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Checking in on all you from CA. I hope the fires, smoke, winds and blackouts aren't in your areas.

Just drove past Lafayette where a fire started. The planes were throwing fire retardant and it got on my windshield, it freaked me out.

Edited by Lunera
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Just drove past Lafayette where a fire started. The planes were throwing fire retardant and it got on my windshield, it freaked me out.

I heard about the Lafayette fire while up in the Oakland hills. It would take a while, but an unchecked fire there could reach the Caldecott tunnel.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Checking in on all you from CA. I hope the fires, smoke, winds and blackouts aren't in your areas.

Thanks for checking. I'm in San Francisco, and although it has been very windy, we are not being affected by the fires or smoke and there haven't been any power outages here.

• Love 5

We lost our power for just a couple of minutes this morning but it came right back. The smoke arrived about two hours ago and my eyes are burning. The air is supposed to be "good" today so I am not looking forward to tomorrow when it is supposed to be bad (I'm in Silicon Valley so south of San Francisco and north of San Jose).

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

we are doing better than expected. have had fires all around us and lots of smoke in the air today. that big fire in the santa clarita valley (the tick fire) is the big one on the news down here with several little ones popping up. we had a female arsonist in the town about 20 minutes west of me - she started one and got caught starting a 2nd one, that we know of. for me personally - we live directly across the street from a big mountain that burns fairly regularly. i live in fear of it for several months of the year. been evacuated once so far in the 3 years i have lived here. the wind is howling tonight as i type.

• Love 5

Friends, I am on my way to Detroit; my sister is in critical condition. Any thoughts, vibes, prayers would be gratefully received. I hardly know what to hope for. She’s been increasingly ill the last year or so with opportunistic infections. I don’t know how much strength she has left. I mostly just want to make it in time. But she has surprised us before. (We are, as a family, incredibly stubborn.) I wouldn’t say no to her surprising us again. This is so hard. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Friends, I am on my way to Detroit; my sister is in critical condition. Any thoughts, vibes, prayers would be gratefully received. I hardly know what to hope for. She’s been increasingly ill the last year or so with opportunistic infections. I don’t know how much strength she has left. I mostly just want to make it in time. But she has surprised us before. (We are, as a family, incredibly stubborn.) I wouldn’t say no to her surprising us again. This is so hard. 

Am sending hugs and strength to you and your family, and peace and comfort to your sister plus a zillion positive vibes as you all go through this. I do understand how hard it is, since we are going through our current situation.  

• Love 15
5 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Wishing you a safe trip and that you find your sister exhibiting that stubbornness that will lead to a recovery. My good vibes, thoughts and prayers are with you. 

• Love 8

@latetotheparty (where are my tagging options?), sending healing vibes and strength to you! ♥️

Fire update: Winds have died down, and the smoke has moved in. I had my first mask sightings this morning. Wind returns on Wednesday. The fire won't be contained until the 7th. My area seems to be safe from power outages, but areas east of the tunnel connecting the bay area to the inland might be affected tomorrow.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Fire update: Winds have died down, and the smoke has moved in. I had my first mask sightings this morning. Wind returns on Wednesday. The fire won't be contained until the 7th. My area seems to be safe from power outages, but areas east of the tunnel connecting the bay area to the inland might be affected tomorrow.

watching the noon update on the getty fire (its not by me). they said that Wednesday all hell will happen as the big winds are due back in our area too. is it weird that when i have to leave (as i do today for a dr appt) i worry about my dog home alone? if a fire happened while we were out, there is zero chance we could get back in up here to get her.  wednesday i plan to be home all day, for sure. been thinking about what i need to take if we evacuate again and where it is. might fill a few crates in preparation.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, zoomama said:

watching the noon update on the getty fire (its not by me). they said that Wednesday all hell will happen as the big winds are due back in our area too. is it weird that when i have to leave (as i do today for a dr appt) i worry about my dog home alone? if a fire happened while we were out, there is zero chance we could get back in up here to get her.  wednesday i plan to be home all day, for sure. been thinking about what i need to take if we evacuate again and where it is. might fill a few crates in preparation.

Do you have neighbors you can trust to get her if worst comes to worst?  It's always good to have a go-bag ready when weather threatens; I made one up every hurricane season just in case.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Fosca said:

Do you have neighbors you can trust to get her if worst comes to worst?  It's always good to have a go-bag ready when weather threatens; I made one up every hurricane season just in case.

yes, i do. and they would make every effort to get her.  she is a bit high strung though, so she would not make it easy.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I think it probably isn't true.  A lot of folks out in the countryside in China don't have actual records of their births and, quite often, their actual age is a guess.  There have been documented cases of women with proven birthdays conceiving naturally and giving birth in their mid-50's.  One of my partners has a pregnant patient who is 52; completely natural and totally stunned by the news.  She came in thinking she was in menopause.  Hadn't used birth control in a while because 'what are the odds?'.  The odds weren't zero, obviously.  There was a woman out in Oregon or Washington state who gave birth to naturally conceived identical triplets about 20 years ago who was around 54.  She had adult kids and a bunch of grandkids.

Those of us who are really old remember a TV commercial for Dannon yogurt back in the day where they showed a bunch of people living in Siberia or someplace who were known for their longevity and ate a lot of yogurt.  As I recall, it turned out that most of them really had no idea how old they were.  They lived hard lives out in the elements as farmers and they all looked really old.  In the mountains in Peru, every woman over the age of 30 looks the same; weathered, wrinkled, sun-damaged, often without teeth.  You can't tell a 35 year old from a 65 year old.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Fingers crossed for my son who has his court date this morning for the DUI I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. All is looking pretty positive on the Marine side of things thus far; his CO is behind him, he started his class in Air Traffic control and got a 95 on both tests so far (including the one he had to cram for a couple of days early without being able to attend the class on Tuesday because he had to travel back here). 

He has a good lawyer, recommended by friends, who said he would be "honored to represent" him based on what he knows of his character and ambitions. So hopefully we are in good shape.

This sounds so promising.   That his lawyer is honored to represent him says so much about who your son really is.  I hope everything goes well for him and you all have peace of mind that this is behind him.  Good for him on those great test results.

• Love 10

bringing this from jinger and jeremy and kanye concerning religion.

i know a jehovah witness who is pretty devoted and is trying to convert me even though she knows i'm an atheist. i told her god is what santa clause is for kids... make believe.

she truly believes if i convert i won't go to hell and all my problems will be solved.

another girl i knew from 6-12 grade. she is a muslim. right after high school she got married no college for her. we didn't keep in touch because her husband wouldn't allow it and i'm not a muslim. anywho a few months ago she found me on facebook and we caught up.

ladies, seriously now she won't leave me alone about converting to islam. i made a mistake giving her my number... i was like did you find me a husband or something hahaha? otherwise why would i convert? i'm not interested.  she sends me videos of women converting. every single one is getting married hence why she is converting.

so yes there are people out there who believe and exist solely to pester/bother others to convert them into their religion.

end of rant.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

i know a jehovah witness who is pretty devoted and is trying to convert me even though she knows i'm an atheist. i told her god is what santa clause is for kids... make believe.

she truly believes if i convert i won't go to hell and all my problems will be solved.

another girl i knew from 6-12 grade. she is a muslim. right after high school she got married no college for her. we didn't keep in touch because her husband wouldn't allow it and i'm not a muslim. anywho a few months ago she found me on facebook and we caught up.

ladies, seriously now she won't leave me alone about converting to islam. i made a mistake giving her my number... i was like did you find me a husband or something hahaha? otherwise why would i convert? i'm not interested.  she sends me videos of women converting. every single one is getting married hence why she is converting.

so yes there are people out there who believe and exist solely to pester/bother others to convert them into their religion.

end of rant.

That is really intrusive, @galaxychaser.  I would block her on FB and on my phone if that happened to me.  No means no!

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

This reminds me of what happened with my son.  One of his best friends in high school was Mormon.  My son was vaguely aware of this, but they never had any discussions about it and it never played any role in their relationship.  

When they graduated from high school and were getting ready to go their separate ways to different colleges, his friend gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon as a parting gift.  My son knew nothing about the religion, but he was very appreciative that his friend wanted to share his faith with him.  

However, that appreciation faded very quickly.  His first semester in college, every single time he was home for a weekend or other break, two people from the Mormon church would show up at our house looking for him.  Once they came at 8:00 on a Saturday morning.  He tried explaining that he was happy with his current religion, but they still persisted until we stopped answering the door.  Even then, it took them a couple of visits to catch on that they were not welcome. 

On one of the visits, they left some literature and told him he needed to encourage the entire family to read about the Mormon faith.  They were certain that once we understood what they were all about, we'd want to join up as a family.  Uh, no.  Actually, hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 5