Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Last night three ladies and I went for a pizza dinner and then to see the Downton Abbey movie. We enjoyed it. When we went to leave there were police and Sheriffs all over the place. On the am news an arrest had been made on a teen who was threatening to shoot up the movie theater. We were there 😳

I mentioned a week or so ago about the TB positive child in the school where my daughter is the secretary. She sent me this. 

480F01E2-5DE1-44FF-B2E2-ADE2DA35432C.thumb.jpeg.313d59fbbc1e7fd0d825008b902ecd31.jpeg

This hardly seems like a safe environment for anyone. They also don’t have hot water for hand washing. Where are my priorities? There’s more important things to be done with my tax money. I will avoid my rant as I understand this is not a place for politics, but I wish for a safer America for all of us. 

P.S. How can they stop the school nurse from being tested? If she goes to her primary care MD she should be allowed to be tested since she was exposed. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Last night three ladies and I went for a pizza dinner and then to see the Downton Abbey movie. We enjoyed it. When we went to leave there were police and Sheriffs all over the place. On the am news an arrest had been made on a teen who was threatening to shoot up the movie theater. We were there 😳

I mentioned a week or so ago about the TB positive child in the school where my daughter is the secretary. She sent me this. 

480F01E2-5DE1-44FF-B2E2-ADE2DA35432C.thumb.jpeg.313d59fbbc1e7fd0d825008b902ecd31.jpeg

This hardly seems like a safe environment for anyone. They also don’t have hot water for hand washing. Where are my priorities? There’s more important things to be done with my tax money. I will avoid my rant as I understand this is not a place for politics, but I wish for a safer America for all of us. 

P.S. How can they stop the school nurse from being tested? If she goes to her primary care MD she should be allowed to be tested since she was exposed. 

1. glad they got the kid at the theater before any damage/hurt happened.

2.  i can tell you 1000% that if i was that nurse (and i have been the health tech in school offices many times over the years) that i would be at my doctor YESTERDAY getting tested regardless of what the school chose to do or NOT do.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They really do look like a real fire.  It's a amazing. 

To me, they only look a little bit like a real fire if you squint a bit...but then I even get annoyed by the gas fireplaces we have sometimes because although the flames are real, there is no diversity in the pattern they burn at. They certainly make a room look nice and cozy, but don't have the hypnotic effect of a natural wood fire.

We just got a new wood stove for the living room...even though our old one was a monster that dominated the room. The décor in this house when we bought it was very much Country, which doesn't mesh well with our furniture and accessories, so we have slowly been changing things. Originally we thought we might do away with the wood stove altogether, since we had put gas fireplaces in both the 3-season sunroom and the library, but after having used it for a few winters, I just couldn't give up the realness (if that's a word) of those flames. So when I found a nice enameled model at a floor-sample clearance sale, we decided to splurge. Just got it, though we haven't used it yet. It takes up a lot less space, though the firebox is actually the same size, so hopefully it will put out a similar amount of heat. Still have to switch out the bricks for something a bit more streamlined/lighter, but that will probably be a project for next year. Now I'll have to try and sell the old one on Craigslist or something so we can fit a car in the side of the garage it's taking up right now...Before and after (the one is from Christmas last year - the stuff on the mantel at the moment is  mostly going away; except for the plate it's all sort of stopgap for the changes in décor between this and last year's replacement of the couch and loveseat. This room is going to take a long time! LOL

25395967_10155806534702778_345845992300685295_n.jpg

71789473_10157440211637778_6526167338432069632_n.jpg

• Love 8
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Last year, I picked up this little thing to make the room a little more cozy. (I have gas logs just in living room. Plus, I hate burning them.)  It doesn't add any real heat, but, it adds a warm glow to the room.  I like it so much, that I've considered getting a larger one!  I know, tacky maybe, but, I like it!

https://www.wayfair.com/Charlton-Home--Portable-LED-Fireplace-Plastic-Lantern-W001080585-L6125-K~W001080585.html?refid=GX294780880949-W001080585&device=c&ptid=623370647194&network=g&targetid=pla-623370647194&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=68261575&fdid=1817&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18KlmNeP5QIVjp-fCh1uRADhEAQYAiABEgJR1_D_BwE

I like it!

• Love 1

Did anyone catch that TLC special last night called Taken At Birth? It's about a certain doctor in GA (they are called the Hicks babies) who sold over 200 newborns back in the 50s and 60s.  OMG! It was one of the most intriguing stories that they have ever done. They are still trying to figure out exactly what was going on, but, it seems sinister. Many of the babies were premature. The third hour concludes tonight.  I can barely wait.  I looked to see if there was a thread for this show somewhere around here, but, didn't see one.  Hard to believe, because, this show is really amusing....maybe more so for me, since, I have that same last name on one side of my family.......

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone catch that TLC special last night called Taken At Birth?

No, but it sounds really interesting. How did they find out he was taking the babies?

@Mindthinkr, how scary. Glad everyone is safe.

@SunnyBeBe Thanks so much for the recommendation.  Think I'm going to get one for my mom who is in asstd living.  She loved the  electric log insert she had in her living room fireplace at home& was sad she couldn't take it with her.  I don't think it will be  problem in her room since its battery powered & not a real fire but I'll check with the facility.  She'll be really surprised. Can't beat the price either.

@Jynnan tonnix I love your wood stove & your decorated mantels are beautiful.  (Jana has nothing on you.)

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

No, but it sounds really interesting. How did they find out he was taking the babies?

I missed the very beginning, but I think he got in trouble with the medical board.  I hope they'll find some answers tonight when they open the crypt and exhume his body for DNA.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Don't forget Flash!

Haha! I didn't actually forget it, I just thought it sounded at least peripherally like an actual name, what with Flash Gordon and all. They could also do Smash, Lash, Mash, Hash....

Funny how so many of the "-ash" words are rather violent in nature. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Haha! I didn't actually forget it, I just thought it sounded at least peripherally like an actual name, what with Flash Gordon and all. They could also do Smash, Lash, Mash, Hash....

Yeah, I thought of Flash Gordon.  You're right that they are all a bit violent.  It makes me wonder why that would be - words interest me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Oh I also don’t like that: Khloe , Konner anyone? 

Also misspelling the name into Aydyn, Jaedyn, Ashleigh, Trystyn etc.

I can't do any form of Aiden with a Y.  The town next to mine is Ayden, home of the Ayden Collard Festival complete with a yearly collard eatin contest.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

To me, not knowing the difference says she hasn’t done a lot of reading in her lifetime.

I think that's also very true of a lot of people, especially in the age of digital books. I know a number of people with some level of dyslexia who never read anything beyond what was required - and often not even that - because physically reading something was so challenging. But at some point they discovered digital books and developed a hunger for literature. It still always kind of throws me when they refer to it as "reading", but they have gained worlds of knowledge. Just that spelling isn't one of the skills that develops from that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I think that's also very true of a lot of people, especially in the age of digital books. I know a number of people with some level of dyslexia who never read anything beyond what was required - and often not even that - because physically reading something was so challenging. But at some point they discovered digital books and developed a hunger for literature. It still always kind of throws me when they refer to it as "reading", but they have gained worlds of knowledge. Just that spelling isn't one of the skills that develops from that.

26 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Audio books? My daughter loves them.  They drive me rather batty, but I'm fine with digital text books.

I work in literacy, and ebooks and audiobooks are reading.   Its truly just a personal preference.   The text is the same.  I get touchy about this because it is my job.  Audiobooks were developed initially for the blind and have grown from there.   The production values have increased exponentially since sighted people started to listen to them.  Unabridged audiobooks are literally a narrator speaking every word in the text.  Ebooks are great for people with different disabilities to read books.  People with dyslexia can use special fonts and backgrounds to help them read and understand the text.  Also people with mobility issues who cannot hold a physical book can use an ereader or tablet to read again.  Ebooks also allow the reader to increase text size for people with eyesight issues.  Large print books are more expensive than ebooks. 

I personally read physical books, ebooks, and audiobooks.   Depending on the book, I prefer each format.  They all have their pluses and minuses.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 13

Someone recently  sent me a copy of a diet that was published in Vogue in the late 1970's.  

BREAKFAST:  1 boiled egg (poached is ok), 1 glass of dry white wine, and coffee

LUNCH: 2 boiled eggs, 2 glasses of dry white wine, and coffee

Dinner: broiled steak, the rest of the bottle of wine, and coffee

Only one whole bottle of wine per day.

My question is, can I do this diet if I don't drink coffee?  And is there a warning about driving? I wonder why we haven't heard about this diet recently.  This is one of the quirkiest fad diets I have ever come across.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2

Does anyone have experience with the shingles vaccine? I had an outbreak two years ago which were caught early and addressed with steroids. I’d prefer not experiencing that again! 

There was a shortage of the Shingrex vax last year so I was unable to get it. It is now readily available but I have a ton of 4th quarter travel. Curious of reactions anyone may have had with the first dose, as I’ll strategize timing. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Does anyone have experience with the shingles vaccine? I had an outbreak two years ago which were caught early and addressed with steroids. I’d prefer not experiencing that again! 

There was a shortage of the Shingrex vax last year so I was unable to get it. It is now readily available but I have a ton of 4th quarter travel. Curious of reactions anyone may have had with the first dose, as I’ll strategize timing. 

Shingles vaccine was a breeze for me. Much easier than a flu shot. I am the only person in my immediate family to not have had shingles and I want to keep it that way. 

8 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

How about Succotash? 😁😁😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Like @latetotheparty I had no problem with the shingles vaccine or the pneumonia vaccine.  My doctor told me that even if I would get shingles it would be less severe.  I found this about it from health in aging: "Zostavax vaccine reduces the risk of getting shingles by about one-half, and lowers the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia by two-thirds. If you have had the vaccine and still develop shingles, your illness will be milder than if you never received the vaccine."  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, wilsie said:

I found this about it from health in aging: "Zostavax vaccine reduces the risk of getting shingles by about one-half, and lowers the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia by two-thirds. If you have had the vaccine and still develop shingles, your illness will be milder than if you never received the vaccine."  

Just a note, Zostavax was the old shingles vaccine. It has been replaced by Shingrix. 

At my pharmacy we've anecdotely had higher reports of injection site reactions like tenderness, redness, and swelling as compared to other vaccines but most people seem to tolerate it pretty well.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just seeing the words over and over helped me to learn. How is reading from a device any different? It’s actually more beneficial in that you can actually look up definitions for words right on the spot, instead of having to go get a dictionary.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Just seeing the words over and over helped me to learn. How is reading from a device any different? It’s actually more beneficial in that you can actually look up definitions for words right on the spot, instead of having to go get a dictionary.

I meant to say audio books...sorry. Talk about missing typos when you proofread, I just missed an entire word and definition! Ugh!

Yeah, that's why some of the other responses I got didn't initially make sense to me. Duh! Of course reading digital books is reading, as is reading Braille. But my son in law, for example, who has mild dyslexia, now listens to a LOT of audio books, and always refers to it as reading them. Yes, he's getting exactly the same words and information, and has really furthered his education, so I'm not belittling his efforts in any way, just that "listening to" and "reading", at least to my understanding, are quite different processes.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I meant to say audio books...sorry. Talk about missing typos when you proofread, I just missed an entire word and definition! Ugh!

Yeah, that's why some of the other responses I got didn't initially make sense to me. Duh! Of course reading digital books is reading, as is reading Braille. But my son in law, for example, who has mild dyslexia, now listens to a LOT of audio books, and always refers to it as reading them. Yes, he's getting exactly the same words and information, and has really furthered his education, so I'm not belittling his efforts in any way, just that "listening to" and "reading", at least to my understanding, are quite different processes.

It is true that reading and listening use different parts of the brain.  They are technically two different processes,  but they work in tandem.  Also, everyone's brains work differently and some people need to listen to a text to fully understand and retain it.  Publishers have been making read-alongs for decades because there are enough kids out there that both need to look at words on a page and hear them at the same time. 

I used to never listen to audiobooks until 2 years ago.  I was resistant because I know I can read a book faster than any narrator could speak it.  But, my library patrons love them and I needed to learn how our electronic audiobooks worked in the app.  Also, I can only lie convincingly to a certain point, so I needed to try a few.  I do enjoy the ones I have listened to, and I have been able to recall the text when necessary.   There are still some books that I would never attempt to listen to and just read with my eyes instead. 

• Love 4

Audio books seem like a valid way to learn or to absorb a story.  After all, that is the original way humans learned prior to the written word.  I used to listen to books on tape and it was nice to be able to keep busy while reading.  I've been meaning to try Audible again, but I'm afraid that hearing stories will put me to sleep.  After all, I use podcasts to fall asleep and often can't remember a word of what I've heard.  Come to think of it, reading a book often induces me to nap!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I  used to never listen to audiobooks until 2 years ago.  I was resistant because I know I can read a book faster than any narrator could speak it.  But, my library patrons love them and I needed to learn how our electronic audiobooks worked in the app.  Also, I can only lie convincingly to a certain point, so I needed to try a few.  I do enjoy the ones I have listened to, and I have been able to recall the text when necessary.   There are still some books that I would never attempt to listen to and just read with my eyes instead. 

3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Audio books seem like a valid way to learn or to absorb a story.  After all, that is the original way humans learned prior to the written word.  I used to listen to books on tape and it was nice to be able to keep busy while reading.  I've been meaning to try Audible again, but I'm afraid that hearing stories will put me to sleep.  After all, I use podcasts to fall asleep and often can't remember a word of what I've heard.  Come to think of it, reading a book often induces me to nap!

I started listening to audiobooks almost 20 years ago, when I had a daily 55-mile round trip work commute. By the time I got in the car in the morning I'd already had the news from TV or radio, at the end of the workday I needed distraction from reality, and I'd tired of listening to music in the car all the time. I usually checked out public library audiobooks on cassette tape (remember those?) or, as they became more common, CDs.

I learned that the sweet spot for me, books that neither lulled me to sleep or demanded too much attention (I was driving, after all!), were crime fiction or mystery books. Not gory ones, and in fact I've happily listened to unabridged audiobooks of most of my "classic" favorites that I'd already read more than once (Dorothy L. Sayers, Robert Barnard, M. C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series), and then I found E. F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia books which are incredibly fun. These days I look for that kind of sweet spot in the content of audiobooks I buy or borrow from the public library. Not too heavy, but interesting and with a lively narrator's voice.

I no longer have that commute, but still have an audiobook habit when in the car. I probably need to stop my Audible subscription, but I've discovered some good books that way. Of course, these days I just load my Audible books on my phone, then play them in the car via Bluetooth through the car sound system. Who would have thunk it, back in 2000 when I was hoping the public library's well-used tapes and CDs would play all the way through and not leave me frustrated near the end of a good story? 

I've also discovered the Libby app. I use it to manage and play ebooks and audio e-books that I've checked out from my public library. Works flawlessly on my phone to play audiobooks in the car and in the house through a bluetooth speaker. @Ohiopirate02, is that the app you use? 

Dang, I love technology. I have my entire music library - mostly burned from CDs I own but also some digital music purchases - in iTunes and loaded via iTunes onto a ten year old iPod touch which lives in the closed armrest/console of my car, plugged into the car's audio system. Remember having to keep all those tapes or CDs corralled somewhere in the car if you wanted to bring music along?

(Apple's next system upgrade, Catalina, is here. It does away with iTunes in favor of putting all your music into "Music" and all your audiobooks into the "Books" app which is gonna be a PITA for me and my old iPod which I don't think can load the current Books app. We'll see. I'll figure it out somehow. I still much prefer Apple computers to PCs for my personal tech. Although I'm equally fond of my Android phone, so there's that. And I use Libby on the phone for borrowed audiobooks, and the Audible app on the phone for purchased audiobooks, so I'm probably okay.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

If this helps: I figured out from the context, that you meant audiobooks. 😊

• Love 3

We just moved to the middle of nowhere, so I really need to get back to listening to books while driving!  @Jeeves, I have an old iPod Touch too, filled with podcasts for when I'm exercising or hitting the hay.  I'm going to try ebooks from the library.  I too, used to worry that the tape on my bright yellow Walkman would fail at a crucial point in the story!  It is amazing how technology has advanced!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Catfin said:

I had no problems whatsoever.  Nada.  But, I've never been one to react to vaccines, ever.  Having seen friends and patients deal with Shingles, I was more than happy to roll up my sleeve for that one.

• Love 6

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts about reading. The mention of Read Along books from the past brought back memories for me.  I only had a couple of Read along books as a child. I'm sure it was because of the cost. I can still hear the chime sound that was used as a prompt to turn the page. 

Changing subjects:

11 hours ago, Catfin said:

Also, someone posted a baked oatmeal recipe about a year ago that the search feature isn’t turning up. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe they like?

I think I found the Baked Oatmeal recipes for you.  I'm sure our (better) recipes came about from Jill posting her recipe.  Sure enough, I checked the Dillard Family blog & there is a recipe for Jill's baked oatmeal dated 7/19/18.  So you may want to search the (Primetimer) Dullards thread around that date to see what poster's recipes were posted in response to Jill's. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So does it mean your old if you are watching House Hunters, seeing all these beautiful homes and all you can think is "Good golly Miss Molly that would be hard to keep clean." ?

If not old, practical. A few years ago a young cousin and his wife bought a lovely spacious house out on acreage in the country. Absolutely perfect for their family. I love the place! And, as I took the introductory tour? I swear, I counted up the total number of toilets and thought how glad I was not to be responsible for cleaning them. 🤣

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, LilJen said:

Maybe, in honor of Shaun and the 70s and his fantastic feathered hair, we can find some of that old shampoo made with beer (don’t recall the name) and send it to Jill. I do know that the Vermont Country Store sells a remake of Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific, another 1970s shampoo classic.

These are all still sold.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/body-on-tap-shampoo/product/75094

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/lemon-up-shampoo-or-conditioner/product/72106

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/gee-your-hair-smells-terrific-shampoo-or-conditioner/product/76881?variantName=choice&variantValue=Conditioner

• Love 1
10 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So does it mean your old if you are watching House Hunters, seeing all these beautiful homes and all you can think is "Good golly Miss Molly that would be hard to keep clean." ?

You read my mind. That’s exactly what I think. I sometimes see that Lottery show where they buy the house of their dreams and think that next they’d better hire someone to come clean it. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

You read my mind. That’s exactly what I think. I sometimes see that Lottery show where they buy the house of their dreams and think that next they’d better hire someone to come clean it. 

Me too.  Even when I was looking for houses more than 25 years ago and still in my 30's, I was always looking for the least amount of space.  I ended up with a 3 bedroom home only because it is tough to find one smaller and I needed a house with a yard for the dog(s).  As it is, I keep the doors shut to 2 of the bedrooms to keep the dogs out of there so I don't have to clean them very often.   I also wonder about people who need a separate dedicated guest room.  Are they planning to join Airbnb?  Who has that many guests that they need a special room only for them?

Back in the day, I used to do all my own housework, mainly out of guilt because my own mom worked full time for a lot of years and never had any help and I felt bad that, living alone, I couldn't keep up.  Then I thought on it a bit and realized my mother would've jumped at the chance to have someone else clean her house and never looked back.  I immediately found someone to clean and it is the highlight of my day to come home once every other week to a house that is sparkling.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I also wonder about people who need a separate dedicated guest room.  Are they planning to join Airbnb?  Who has that many guests that they need a special room only for them?

I like to watch a lot of old shows like Leave it to Beaver & the Donna Reed show, many of whom had the dedicated guest room.  I always thought it was weird that on Leave it to Beaver, they had an unused guest room yet Wally & the Beav shared a room.  

• Love 4