Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I’m sitting in the Des Moines airport waiting for my flight home. I’m early for my flight so I’m checking in here.  My thoughts and prayers for everyone with health problems.  My brother is covering with care for parents while I was able to get away to northeast Iowa for a break. He and I are the only children and, luckily, are on the same page regarding care. He sees them more than I do because he lives in the same town but we make joint decisions. Dad probably won’t make it too much longer, and Moms dementia is moving fast.   So I took a break to Iowa.  Over a week of just me and a rental car.  I get up in the morning and decide where I want to go that day.  I visit several family graves in various cemeteries and go to genealogy libraries to do research.  I just enjoy the nice people, beautiful scenery, and NO TRAFFIC.  There is so much history here, as well as lots of interesting things to do, that this is my go-to spot for vacation.  I haven’t lived here since I was a child but my family in Iowa goes back to the 1830’s.  So now it’s back to the real world.  I had a pleasant 3 hour drive to Des Moines yesterday and am not looking forward to California traffic!

Such fun to do genealogy research. I've walked miles in cemeteries looking for ancestors.  It may sound morbid but I feel such a connection to ancestors when I see where they are buried.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Such fun to do genealogy research. I've walked miles in cemeteries looking for ancestors.  It may sound morbid but I feel such a connection to ancestors when I see where they are buried.

You sound like my brother. He has been generous and shared all the wonderful information that he has gathered about our ancestors. I’m glad you had a relaxing time at your own speed. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I’m sitting in the Des Moines airport waiting for my flight home. I’m early for my flight so I’m checking in here.  My thoughts and prayers for everyone with health problems.  My brother is covering with care for parents while I was able to get away to northeast Iowa for a break. He and I are the only children and, luckily, are on the same page regarding care. He sees them more than I do because he lives in the same town but we make joint decisions. Dad probably won’t make it too much longer, and Moms dementia is moving fast.   So I took a break to Iowa.  Over a week of just me and a rental car.  I get up in the morning and decide where I want to go that day.  I visit several family graves in various cemeteries and go to genealogy libraries to do research.  I just enjoy the nice people, beautiful scenery, and NO TRAFFIC.  There is so much history here, as well as lots of interesting things to do, that this is my go-to spot for vacation.  I haven’t lived here since I was a child but my family in Iowa goes back to the 1830’s.  So now it’s back to the real world.  I had a pleasant 3 hour drive to Des Moines yesterday and am not looking forward to California traffic!

What a great idea.  Self-care by caretakers is very important.  And, your trip sounds amazing.  My dad did the DNA analysis on Ancestry.com a couple of years ago and it was quite fascinating.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm so proud of the man he has become, and how he is handling things!! Fingers crossed!

Good for him. Sounds as though you both raised a good young man. With his attitude and way of handling things it sounds as though he will be more of an asset to the military rather than a hindrance (someone who gets totally drunk and keeps on as in an alcoholic). Side note: I live near enough to a military base. Marines. The men on their time off are known for driving the 60 or so miles to my area to drink and party. They are also known locally for fighting and harassing the college girls. If they are still allowed to be in the military, then I should think that your son will be allowed to continue...hopefully in his chosen field of Air Traffic Control. Fingers crossed for your son. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Update on my son...He's back on base now, and appears to be handling everything right. It turns out, on talking further with him, that his blood alcohol level, while not astronomical by any means, was high enough that it really could not quite be put down to a faulty breathalyzer, but the fact that he was coherent, cooperative, and did not appear impaired still stands in his favor. His unit is still going to let him begin the class for Air Traffic Control. which is going to be his designator, and his Commanding Officer is fighting for him. No further action will be taken until after his trial, which is slated for the end of the month. Then we'll find out whether he will still be able to remain in the service, and if so, how much of a penalty he will have to suffer. Hopefully it can still just turn into a bump in the road. It can happen if an officer has enough positives to overcome a mistake, though is by no means an easy road.

His integrity in letting his command know immediately, even though it was something which, having occurred out of state, might have been covered up at least until he needed some sort of security screening was a big plus for him. His unit has a safety briefing tomorrow, and he has asked to be able to give the presentation, both to own his mistake and make sure it did not have to get out through the grapevine, and as a very personal lesson on using one's judgement, and how quickly a bad decision can lead to potentially lifelong consequences.

He definitely has his Commanding Officer on his side, which is huge, based on his honesty and the way he has always done his job over the past year or so that he's been there.

I'm so proud of the man he has become, and how he is handling things!! Fingers crossed!

Thank you for the update.  Everyone makes mistakes.  The way they handle them shows their true character and your son has great integrity.  I hope the Marines realize what an asset he is and he's allowed to continue in his career.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have a question for the group. Do they still make Aspergum? I am thinking no because I cannot find it any where but it never hurts to ask.

Yes, they still make it. I saw some of it in my pharmacy a few weeks ago. The old times orange flavored stuff. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yes, they still make it. I saw some of it in my pharmacy a few weeks ago. The old times orange flavored stuff. 

I will check again. Last time I looked no one had any idea what I was talking about. Do you mind telling me the name of your pharmacy? It tastes bad but the best thing for a sore throat.

3 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I will check again. Last time I looked no one had any idea what I was talking about. Do you mind telling me the name of your pharmacy? It tastes bad but the best thing for a sore throat.

It’s a Mom and Pop type place. So I’m afraid that the name wouldn’t help you. I’m going there tomorrow. I’ll see what I can do for you then. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

When you check the page, though, it is for a bunch of orange flavored stuff but I don't see any actual Aspergum there.

Oh dear. I just went to Amazon and you are correct. I’m sorry.  Since I don’t know if I’ll see it tomorrow or I didn’t remember correctly, perhaps you can recommend an OTC remedy that would make her feel better. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oh dear. I just went to Amazon and you are correct. I’m sorry.  Since I don’t know if I’ll see it tomorrow or I didn’t remember correctly, perhaps you can recommend an OTC remedy that would make her feel better. 

That's OK, I feel fine at the moment but I have bad allergies and keep stuff so I have it when I need it. I have not seen Aspergum in years but for me it seemed to make my throat feel better can cut the phlegm. I just thought someone here knew where I could find some.

• Love 3

Late to the party but as the proud owner of a sore throat for 3 weeks due to allergies, the only thing that's working is my allergy meds and salt water gargling. Have to do it multiple times a day but it works.

And Tylenol since I can't take aspirin. Good luck!

• Love 4

My sore throats tend to start with allergies --> post-nasal drainage. The worst case scenario, which thank goodness is rare, involves my tonsils getting inflamed/infected. For all but the most ragingly painful sore throats, I get relief by using those "Cold-Eeze" zinc lozenges. Salt water gargling is also helpful. 

Four years ago I forgot to pack my Cold-Eeze lozenges when I went on a two week trip to the UK. Oh no worries, I thought, I can always buy them if I need them over there. Well, no. I got a sore throat and a general "getting sick" feeling while in York, went to Boots and finally asked the chemist (pharmacist) there for zinc lozenges, and got a blank look. Whatever they offered as throat lozenges, didn't relieve pain like the Cold-Eeze. (I bought some OTC pain/cold remedies, and spent an indulgent restful afternoon napping in my B&B room, with plenty of hot tea, and fortunately felt much better the next day.) I swear, for every trip since, foreign or domestic? I pack the Cold-Eeze first! 😂

That incident also opened my eyes to the differences in OTC medicines from one country to another. Now I make sure to pack a small amount of my standard OTC remedies when I travel. Even if it's possible to buy what I need over the counter in the place I'm visiting, I may need the medicine in the evening or while in transit, when stores are closed or not accessible. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

My sore throats tend to start with allergies --> post-nasal drainage. The worst case scenario, which thank goodness is rare, involves my tonsils getting inflamed/infected. For all but the most ragingly painful sore throats, I get relief by using those "Cold-Eeze" zinc lozenges. Salt water gargling is also helpful. 

Four years ago I forgot to pack my Cold-Eeze lozenges when I went on a two week trip to the UK. Oh no worries, I thought, I can always buy them if I need them over there. Well, no. I got a sore throat and a general "getting sick" feeling while in York, went to Boots and finally asked the chemist (pharmacist) there for zinc lozenges, and got a blank look. Whatever they offered as throat lozenges, didn't relieve pain like the Cold-Eeze. (I bought some OTC pain/cold remedies, and spent an indulgent restful afternoon napping in my B&B room, with plenty of hot tea, and fortunately felt much better the next day.) I swear, for every trip since, foreign or domestic? I pack the Cold-Eeze first! 😂

That incident also opened my eyes to the differences in OTC medicines from one country to another. Now I make sure to pack a small amount of my standard OTC remedies when I travel. Even if it's possible to buy what I need over the counter in the place I'm visiting, I may need the medicine in the evening or while in transit, when stores are closed or not accessible. 

In England you can also get Tylenol (or similar - it goes by another name there which escapes me at the moment, but is essentially the same thing) with a small amount of codeine in it OTC. That can be especially useful if you are also fighting a cough.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I went to the pharmacy today and what I thought was aspergum was really a chewable orange flavored chewable aspirin. I’m sorry. Why if a product works and is popular do they discontinue it? Money. The patent must have run out or some such thing. I also remember a lozenge from days or yore called Spec-T. It had a bit of a numbing agent in it and worked well. I had too many tonsil and throat problems as a child, but that med has been out of sight for ages too. All we get now is fancy expensive stuff. The old true things that worked are hard to come by. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I had some friends visit over the summer from Northern Ireland.  One of the American things she was stocking up on before returning home was Tylenol PM.  Apparently, it is not available in the UK.  There are also regulations about how many pills she can bring into the country.  She could bring back multiple bottles of flavored gin and Bacardi, but not 200 Tylenol PM.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I had some friends visit over the summer from Northern Ireland.  One of the American things she was stocking up on before returning home was Tylenol PM.  Apparently, it is not available in the UK.  There are also regulations about how many pills she can bring into the country.  She could bring back multiple bottles of flavored gin and Bacardi, but not 200 Tylenol PM.

When my cousins come to visit from England, the one thing they always go back with is Glad Press'n'Seal. Multi-packs from BJ's. There is apparently nothing like it there, and they think it's practically magical! LOL

Taking this to the prayer closet since I can't even remotely figure out a way to connect it to the Duggars...

Oops...we already ARE in the Prayer Closet! Nevermind....

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

In England you can also get Tylenol (or similar - it goes by another name there which escapes me at the moment, but is essentially the same thing) with a small amount of codeine in it OTC. That can be especially useful if you are also fighting a cough.

You can get small amounts of codeine cough syrup OTC in the US, too. (At least in MI.) The problem is finding a place that carries the 4oz bottles. My pharmacy did for awhile but then stopped.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, McManda said:

You can get small amounts of codeine cough syrup OTC in the US, too. (At least in MI.) The problem is finding a place that carries the 4oz bottles. My pharmacy did for awhile but then stopped.

This varies from state to state.  About 30 years ago in Ohio, anyone over the age of 18 could go into a drugstore and ask for cough syrup with codeine.  The pharmacist had to keep a register of the names of those who bought it and check ID.  I think a person could get something like 4 oz. every 48 hours.

That went the way of the dodo bird years ago.  Nowadays, a written prescription is required and it cannot be phoned in nor sent via email (escript) although that is changing again and I believe it is all going to be done online to maintain complete records.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Dinner vs Supper reminds me of my grandmother and her sisters. Half of their family came from England and the other half was German and they maintained  the 18th century English saying of "Upon my word". When I got into Jane Austen I was struck by how odd that was and they had to learn it from family since they were farmers in Virginia in the middle of nowhere. Also 3 meats for supper and more condiments than you can name .

On the other hand I could never understand chicken-fried steak and sweet tea, even as a child. Gross.

And my grandmother used to put butter on my peanut butter sandwiches when I was a kid. That one has no explanation.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

And my grandmother used to put butter on my peanut butter sandwiches when I was a kid. That one has no explanation.

I was given that at a friends house as a child. I found it too rich and haven’t had it since. 

7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Do you say dinner or supper?

In America I eat dinner around 7 pm. In Scotland we called it tea. We were not upscale enough to have a high tea in the afternoon (4 pm) and a dinner at 8-9 at night (a la Downton Abbey). Lunch over there was called dinner and served around noon. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Dinner vs Supper reminds me of my grandmother and her sisters. Half of their family came from England and the other half was German and they maintained  the 18th century English saying of "Upon my word". When I got into Jane Austen I was struck by how odd that was and they had to learn it from family since they were farmers in Virginia in the middle of nowhere. Also 3 meats for supper and more condiments than you can name .

On the other hand I could never understand chicken-fried steak and sweet tea, even as a child. Gross.

My Swedish grandma put sugar on lettuce.  Also on oranges.  She lived to a ripe old age and did not die of diabetes!  Grandma also called a chest of drawers a "chiffonier" which became part of a silly family song.  We loved her dearly and she is the model for my grandparenting, though I don't put sugar on lettuce and fruit!  In my family we say both dinner and supper, mostly dinner.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Do you say dinner or supper?

With my grandparents, the evening meal was always called "supper" if you were eating at home. If you were going out to eat at a restaurant or somebody else's house, then it suddenly became "dinner". At home, the word "dinner" was reserved for the midday meal on Sundays (which was almost always roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy). 

In the next generation, my mother used the terms "supper" and "dinner" almost interchangeably for the evening meal, except "dinner" had a slightly more formal connotation.  If we gathered around the dining room table it was "dinner", if we ate at the kitchen table it was "supper".

I find the way words change their meaning over time and from region to region endlessly fascinating.

And my grandmother always put sugar on her lettuce, as well as on her sliced tomatoes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Chicklet said:

On the other hand, I've never understood unsweetened tea and have always found it abhorrent. 😂

I always love hearing other folks on the sweet versus unsweet tea thing because of the variety in responses. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I call it dinner.

i know someone who calls it din din. I find that adorable.

That’s how we refer to our cat’s food.😀

When I was growing up, my grandparents always called the midday meal dinner and the evening meal supper. Dinner was the main meal, with supper a bit lighter.They were farmers, so I always thought it was “farm thing.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Zella said:

On the other hand, I've never understood unsweetened tea and have always found it abhorrent. 😂

I always love hearing other folks on the sweet versus unsweet tea thing because of the variety in responses. 

I used to be able to drink NC sweet tea when I first moved down here.  I moved back up north for grad school and lost my taste for it.  I now drink Arnold Palmers using unsweet.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I used to be able to drink NC sweet tea when I first moved down here.  I moved back up north for grad school and lost my taste for it.  I now drink Arnold Palmers using unsweet.

NC sweet tea is really stout, too! Or can be.

I grew up drinking my grandmother's sweet tea, which is super sweet and strong. A lot of the tea around here in Arkansas is too weak for my taste, though it doesn't have a bad flavor. When I was at the U of A, I had a classmate from East Tennessee, not too far from where my folks are originally from in Western NC. I told her I wanted sweet tea, and she said, "You're from NC, aren't you?" When I said yes, she pulled me aside and made sure I got the one she made rather than the other weaker offerings. And it was like a taste of home! 🙂 

I do like the Arnold Palmer tea lemonade on occasion. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

And my grandmother always put sugar on her lettuce, as well as on her sliced tomatoes.

Always sugar on tomatoes.  My dad's family ate popcorn with milk poured over it.  Try it.  It really is good!

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

On the weekends I drop by the library. Today huge fight between patrons. Cops came and everything. I am shaken up. I guess no where is safe.

I’m sorry you ran into that. The lack of common courtesy everywhere these days is appalling. 

Not ready for the weekend to be over. Was off Th-Fri for college visits with my son, picking up daughter at last stop. Had DD home for the weekend, the boyfriend here one night, grand-kitty here, just a joyful chaos.  I need to catch up on work and prep for another trip to CA Tuesday. This is my fifth flight west in seven weeks and I’m pretty much over it. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Always sugar on tomatoes.  My dad's family ate popcorn with milk poured over it.  Try it.  It really is good!

But. But. Soggy? Texture is my biggest dealbreaker. If I eat cold cereal I always have my milk on the side. Unless it’s Grape Nuts which, sadly, I‘ve mostly had to give up due to the TMJ. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

On the weekends I drop by the library. Today huge fight between patrons. Cops came and everything. I am shaken up. I guess no where is safe.

Wow, a library of all places!  What could have set of that kind of argument?  Where was this located?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

But. But. Soggy? Texture is my biggest dealbreaker. If I eat cold cereal I always have my milk on the side. Unless it’s Grape Nuts which, sadly, I‘ve mostly had to give up due to the TMJ. 

Here's the trick.  You put a small amount of milk in a bowl, put in a handful of popcorn, and eat it.  Then you pour in  more milk, add popcorn, and eat it.  You only put in enough milk for the handful or two of popcorn at one time.  That way the popcorn is not soggy.  I must admit this is the only way I would ever drink milk.  I love popcorn and milk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Here's the trick.  You put a small amount of milk in a bowl, put in a handful of popcorn, and eat it.  Then you pour in  more milk, add popcorn, and eat it.  You only put in enough milk for the handful or two of popcorn at one time.  That way the popcorn is not soggy.  I must admit this is the only way I would ever drink milk.  I love popcorn and milk.

Okay, it makes sense now. 🙂