Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

@Jynnan tonnix, what great news about your son. So glad it worked out in his favor. He certainly sound like a young man who deserves a break! So happy for you all!

Thanks. He really was deserving of the break. But the main things, at the end of the day, are that  1) his mistake did no harm to anyone else, and 2) he learned a lesson about consequences which I have no doubt will stay with him for the rest of his life.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 23
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Found that I can still be in touch with y’all while I’m here in Italy. Everything  is well and I’m probably going to gain 5 pounds. she still returned home four pounds lighter!  Have fun!

PS Will let y’all know when I visit St Anthony. Otherwise I am going to be out and about experiencing and exploring.  Be well. 

My friend just spent 2months traveling through four European countries.  She said the food and drink was amazing and she stuffed herself daily.  But she still returned home four pounds lighter!  Have fun!

• Love 5

I don't think I ate a single vegetable the entire time I was in Italy--I lived on pizza and pasta and cheese. And I came home lighter, too, due to all of the walking.

Italy was my version of heaven.

• Love 18

checking in. we are safe in our house still but the smell of smoke is heavy in the air. we have had at least 4 fires within 20 minutes of my home yesterday/today. so far my mountain is still safe. my car is almost fully loaded and even the dog food is in there. our local nature center /museum/animal hospital just burned to the ground. many memories there with my kids. just saw two really good evacuation lists of fb - one for us and one for our pets. gonna print and tape in a cupboard. have i told  you all that i hate summer and this time of year where its fire season?  i will take rain and low temps any day!

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, zoomama said:

checking in. we are safe in our house still but the smell of smoke is heavy in the air. we have had at least 4 fires within 20 minutes of my home yesterday/today. so far my mountain is still safe. my car is almost fully loaded and even the dog food is in there. our local nature center /museum/animal hospital just burned to the ground. many memories there with my kids. just saw two really good evacuation lists of fb - one for us and one for our pets. gonna print and tape in a cupboard. have i told  you all that i hate summer and this time of year where its fire season?  i will take rain and low temps any day!

I don't know what to say...just me safe. I wish you could come and stay with me but I think Houston would be a bit to far to travel. It is do hard to lose places that have good memories attached. 

Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

I don't know what to say...just be safe. I wish you could come and stay with me but I think Houston would be a bit to far to travel. It is do hard to lose places that have good memories attached. 

• Love 5
On 10/31/2019 at 11:29 AM, emma675 said:

I don't think I ate a single vegetable the entire time I was in Italy--I lived on pizza and pasta and cheese. And I came home lighter, too, due to all of the walking.

Italy was my version of heaven.

Well you had tomato sauce on pizza which is technically a fruit 🤣.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

@latetotheparty, I'm so sorry for your loss, and your beautiful tribute to your sister just may have coaxed a tear or two into my eyes. I also think she heard you over the phone. I hope you take comfort from your memories and sharing this time with your loved ones. 

• Love 6

@Late to the party, you are a great sister & what a beautiful tribute.  I can barely type with the tears streaming down my face.  I love that your family sang Leavin on a Jet Plane to her & I'm sure she heard every word of it. I will be playing that song   in her honor when I'm done posting.  Anyone join me? 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 15

@latetotheparty  Like others have said you are a wonderful sister and with all my heart I believe that your Katie heard every word.  I can't imagine a better song to say an earthly good-bye with.  I hope you and your family find comfort in remembering the times that bring you peace.  

@Barb23Joining you right now.

This forum has the kindest people💗

• Love 9

@latetotheparty, as others have said, what a beautiful tribute to your sister. To love someone that much is wonderful. I believe she heard everything you said on the phone and I am so glad that nurse helped you to be able to say it. Katie rests with the angels now and the difficult life she met with the cheerfulness and gratitude you describe is over. It is this kind of person we all remember with love and awe for their strength. Losing a sibling is very difficult because in a way we lose a part of ourselves. This is one of the people who, along with our parents, knew us from the very beginning. They helped shape our personalities and way of looking at the world like no one else could. I am glad you seem to have a close family to help you through this.

Please know that we all wish you  love and peace. This has been a place that I could come when I needed solace and support and it can be for you as well. There will always be someone to hear you and support you. We are from so many places and circumstances but there is a commonality among us that is beautiful. As for me, I send you much love, as many virtual hugs as you can handle and of course my deepest sympathy. Till we meet again.

• Love 17
13 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Finally have a moment to check in. Trigger warning for unpleasant medical details. (I need to learn how to make a cut) Also possibly not up to my usual standards of grammar.

We lost Katie Monday and buried her today. I didn’t make it home in time. When I heard how bad things were I knew there was a significant chance I wouldn’t, so before I left Minnesota, I called the hospital so I could talk to her. The ICU nurse very gently reminded me she was in a coma and I said I know but I also know that underneath the coma Katie is still there and I know she’ll hear me. (I felt the same way about Mom’s Alzheimer’s and you will never convince me otherwise.) She very kindly held the phone up to Katie’s ear so I could say everything I needed to say: that she was loved and she was safe and that I was so glad she was my sister.

I got a call from my brother while I was still battling my way through Chicago.  He and my other sister had met with the resident, the cardiomyopathy had started setting in, her feet and hands were turning purple from lack of oxygen and it was also running up her hip and neck. They gave her a two percent chance of surviving and that would be with amputations along with considerably more brain damage than she had endured her entire life. Just no. I told him to not let her suffer just to wait for me. 

So mom’s partner was called, the cousins that were close, and everyone one gathered to be with her. I had just cleared the Michigan border when my sister called to let me know that the machines were gone and it was up to Katie how long to continue to breathe. And I said, sing her something. I come from a musical family; singing is everything to us and especially Katie. And so they sang her Leavin’ on a Jet Plane and a few moments later she was gone. 

I am so grateful for all the love and support you’ve shown me.  You are all so kind and loving; you mean the world to me. I will never abandon the prayer closet but I don’t think I can read about the Duggars anymore. I’m so angry. Katie was dealt a very difficult hand between epilepsy and her cognitive/motor impairments. It was a little life that she was granted but she met it with honest cheerfulness and gratitude. And I have no more patience for people who accept all their advantages as their due and throw it all away to live like sheep. (Lauren, I challenge you to walk one mile in my sister’s shoes and still be a whiny attention whore. Just one.) Probably not forever, because there is a lot of wisdom on these boards and in time I may not be able to stay away. When/if I do, it will be for all of you. 

Truly love you all. ❤️❤️❤️

My condolences.  Take care of yourself.  GIANT HUGS!!!

• Love 5

@latetotheparty, I'm sorry your sister is gone, but I'm glad the nurse let you talk to her. I understand your need to be away from the shallowness of the Duggar family. Please know you go with my wishes for happiness and peace. Come back if you can, we miss people when they leave.

• Love 8

@LATETOTHEPARTY-I am so sorry to hear of Katie's passing.  You have written a wonderful tribute to your sister.  You and your family will be in my thoughts in the coming days and weeks.  We will always be here when you are ready ♥

• Love 6
23 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Finally have a moment to check in. Trigger warning for unpleasant medical details. (I need to learn how to make a cut) Also possibly not up to my usual standards of grammar.

We lost Katie Monday and buried her today. I didn’t make it home in time. When I heard how bad things were I knew there was a significant chance I wouldn’t, so before I left Minnesota, I called the hospital so I could talk to her. The ICU nurse very gently reminded me she was in a coma and I said I know but I also know that underneath the coma Katie is still there and I know she’ll hear me. (I felt the same way about Mom’s Alzheimer’s and you will never convince me otherwise.) She very kindly held the phone up to Katie’s ear so I could say everything I needed to say: that she was loved and she was safe and that I was so glad she was my sister.

I got a call from my brother while I was still battling my way through Chicago.  He and my other sister had met with the resident, the cardiomyopathy had started setting in, her feet and hands were turning purple from lack of oxygen and it was also running up her hip and neck. They gave her a two percent chance of surviving and that would be with amputations along with considerably more brain damage than she had endured her entire life. Just no. I told him to not let her suffer just to wait for me. 

So mom’s partner was called, the cousins that were close, and everyone one gathered to be with her. I had just cleared the Michigan border when my sister called to let me know that the machines were gone and it was up to Katie how long to continue to breathe. And I said, sing her something. I come from a musical family; singing is everything to us and especially Katie. And so they sang her Leavin’ on a Jet Plane and a few moments later she was gone. 

I am so grateful for all the love and support you’ve shown me.  You are all so kind and loving; you mean the world to me. I will never abandon the prayer closet but I don’t think I can read about the Duggars anymore. I’m so angry. Katie was dealt a very difficult hand between epilepsy and her cognitive/motor impairments. It was a little life that she was granted but she met it with honest cheerfulness and gratitude. And I have no more patience for people who accept all their advantages as their due and throw it all away to live like sheep. (Lauren, I challenge you to walk one mile in my sister’s shoes and still be a whiny attention whore. Just one.) Probably not forever, because there is a lot of wisdom on these boards and in time I may not be able to stay away. When/if I do, it will be for all of you. 

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister, but that was such a sweet, loving, beautiful tribute you wrote to her. I don't cry easily, but tears were streaming down my face as I read it and they still are. 

*hugs*

• Love 10

@LATETOTHEPARTY, I am so sorry for the loss of your sister.  I also believe that she heard you and that you are clearly a loving, loyal, thoughtful and caring sister.  I wish you love and peace.  🧡

• Love 6

“We draw people to Christ not by loudly discrediting what they believe, by telling them how wrong they are and how right we are, but by showing them a light that is so lovely that they want with all their hearts to know the source of it.” This quote is from the writer Madeleine L'Engle.  The Duggars, their family and friends don't seem to realize this.  Or maybe they just don't care.

• Love 11

I need some suggestions for an air cleaner/purifier for the backroom at work. We have a very small room , about 10 by 15,  where I do paperwork and we eat lunch. The problem is one of the employees brings something that for me smells to high heaven and not in a good way. I think it is my reaction to the smell someone else could smell it and think it is the best odor there is. I am not comfortable telling her to bring something else, its her food and she should eat what she wishes, so I need someway to get rid of the odor. We have no back door so I cannot air out the room and the sprays I have used just make it worse. Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I need some suggestions for an air cleaner/purifier for the backroom at work. We have a very small room , about 10 by 15,  where I do paperwork and we eat lunch. The problem is one of the employees brings something that for me smells to high heaven and not in a good way. I think it is my reaction to the smell someone else could smell it and think it is the best odor there is. I am not comfortable telling her to bring something else, its her food and she should eat what she wishes, so I need someway to get rid of the odor. We have no back door so I cannot air out the room and the sprays I have used just make it worse. Any ideas?

Have you tried the spray Zero Odor?  It has worked great. We had a stinky garbage can outside and this fixed it.  I don't have any recommendations for an air cleaner though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, lookeyloo said:

Have you tried the spray Zero Odor?  It has worked great. We had a stinky garbage can outside and this fixed it.  I don't have any recommendations for an air cleaner though.

I will check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Love 3

crazycatlady58, you could also check out bags of activated charcoal. I got some on Amazon and they absorb odor, moisture, mold, etc. My house is old and open concept so odors travel. These little bags just seem to soak up the smells.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, emma675 said:

crazycatlady58, you could also check out bags of activated charcoal. I got some on Amazon and they absorb odor, moisture, mold, etc. My house is old and open concept so odors travel. These little bags just seem to soak up the smells.

I have some for my house to take care of the litter box odor and have not noticed a difference in fact I had forgotten them. Thanks for reminding me.

• Love 1

I agree Zero Odor is really good.  It gets rid of odors very quickly.  I use it in the cat's room and in the laundry basket.  It also killed all the smells in the garbage can.  Our Bed Bath and Beyond carries it, both the spray and the large economy refill bottle.  Another nice thing about the product is that it does not have any scent of its own, so no "masking" smells with other smells.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Amazon has several room air purifiers for odors.  Some plug in, some are product.  You might check there.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Amazon has several room air purifiers for odors.  Some plug in, some are product.  You might check there.

I did but there ate so many and you never know if they work. It sounds like Zero Odor is the way to go. I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.

I did but there ate so many and you never know if they work. It sounds like Zero Odor is the way to go. I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.

I did but there are so many and you never know if they work. It sounds like Zero Odor is the way to go. I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:42 AM, latetotheparty said:

I'm very sorry for your loss.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

This is the neverending story of a shared meal space at work.  Popcorn/fish/super strong smelling food is not allowed in some works spaces.  I wish it had been a rule when I had a different office.  The microwave was outside my door, I had no windows and zero ventilation.  My boss would heat salmon, a coworker would heat liver since she was always anemic, and the students would burn popcorn.  Ozium is a great air freshener/neutralizer that we used at a motel I worked at as a kid.  It is still around.  Not super cheap but SOOOO worth it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

@Late to the party my condolences. It is events like this that really put things into perspective. 

I am this close to muting my cousin on social media. She veers between fundie-lite and conservative Christian. Got married way too young. Has had multiple pregnancies that ended in miscarriage. As a result her oldest is significantly older than the others. At the very least he has a learning disability, if not other impairments. He has failed multiple grades in school. They thought she would not be able to sustain another pregnancy so Oldest was spoilt rotten. It took 6 years but my cousin was able to carry a pregnancy to term. Other brothers have since followed now that they figured out what is wrong. Oldest is not a fan of his brothers at all. 

I am watching a real time laundry room breakdown. She posts constantly about how hard it is to parent. How none of the boys get along. How hard it is to do this, how hard it is to do that. And using Bible verses to prove she can become "stronger". 

I want to type out "You don't need Bible verses guuuuurl. You need an IUD and a good therapist." I feel awful for those boys because the environment is starting to sound downright toxic. Her parents and in-laws used to take the brood when it was too overwhelming but their health is failing and they cannot keep up with multiple children, let alone toddlers, anymore.

It is really sad. I feel for those poor boys. I know she will likely have a few more despite everything because that's what God supposedly wants. Ugh. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Rescue Mama said:

Im sorry to have barged in, asking for support and then disapearing.   I was officially diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer which has spread to my brain.  Im on radiation now for the brain cancer.  I guess they have to fix that before they can work on my lungs.  You guys are great and i really appreciate the support you gave to me...to a stranger.   

Tomorrow is my last radiation appointment and then we check to see if it worked if it worked then I'll start chemotherapy.  Maybe keep a finger crossed for me?   Thank you all.  Have a great week. 

I wish there was a reaction emoji for hugs. In any case, I'm sending you big, virtual ones. I'm sure you could use some. Will be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed.

• Love 15