Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

all i can say is that it was 91 here today in riverside county and that is just wrong. i finally caved and hit the a/c just a few minutes ago to cool down the house for the evening.  it was 80 degrees inside my house!!!!

• Love 3

The Texas weather god is definitely drunk. It was in the upper 80s last week, low 40s all weekend and WINDY and it will be in the 70s this week. Then it is supposed to storm again on Friday and be cool again this weekend. People all over are getting sick from the ups and downs.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, zoomama said:

all i can say is that it was 91 here today in riverside county and that is just wrong. i finally caved and hit the a/c just a few minutes ago to cool down the house for the evening.  it was 80 degrees inside my house!!!!

Oh yeah - you guys suffer out there! I’m off of the 78 west, but have had to trek up there at times. I remember taking a tour of a school in Temecula once and saw misters turned on during lunch time. I had never seen them before - ever - and had to ask someone what they were! I know the students are used to it, but I couldn’t even function because it was so hot. 

I know they cancel PE classes/sports practices when it’s too hot, but the reality is that so many kids need PE, so skipping it is a bummer.

From experience, only in SoCal, there doesn’t ever seem to be an alternative to “It’s too hot to have students outside”, that allows the PE unit to continue and kids to get some exercise into their day, which is so weird. Ironically, on blazing hot days, PE teachers and students pile into a Multi Purpose Room & watch a movie...a room that could possibly be used as a recreation space during extreme heat. Grrrrr!

(I still want to know if PE is a requirement at SOTDRT. Maybe they play broom ball for their PE unit?) 

It's supposed to be around 50 degrees & sunny today here in Maryland. They are calling for a few days of  70's to 80 at the end of the week but I'm not holding my breath.  I don't think our heater has stopped running since we turned it on in October. My BIL had to refill his pellet stove last week; something he rarely has to do in April.

Montana is suppose to have below normal temps and above normal moisture from April to June according to the weather channel website. I just hope July does not come along with higher temps and no moisture because we might end up with another nasty wildfire season.

I got my new glasses yesterday afternoon. The funny thing is I do not remember picking the new frames I have now. I know I looked at frames last August or September, but I do not remember these frames. My memory and concentration has been off the last few months, but I did not know it is this bad. Ha!

20 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Off to the hospital tomorrow at 5AM  for knee re-replacement surgery.  Walker, cane and pain pills are at the ready.  Fun times.

Good luck!  I had it done last summer and, while the first 2-3 weeks sucked, it was all worth it in the end as I am walking pain free.

• Love 7

I was listening to the Zuckerberg/Congress hearings on National Public Radio.  Just by listening, I assume everyone is reading their statements from a written/typed format.

Zuckerberg is reading aloud beautifully, but all the congressman are really struggling to read aloud!

I guess I'm a bit surprised that such an educated bunch would stammer so much over written words.

• Love 4
On 4/9/2018 at 3:30 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Off to the hospital tomorrow at 5AM  for knee re-replacement surgery.  Walker, cane and pain pills are at the ready.  Fun times.

I had my right knee replaced last July, and it went so well, I'm going in about a month to get the left one done. Those first few weeks afterward were painful, but it was so worth it.

Make sure you go to all the physical therapy they set you up for, and enjoy the pain meds you get while you're still in the hospital. Good luck to you, @CalicoKitty :)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

It's supposed to be around 50 degrees & sunny today here in Maryland. They are calling for a few days of  70's to 80 at the end of the week but I'm not holding my breath.  I don't think our heater has stopped running since we turned it on in October. My BIL had to refill his pellet stove last week; something he rarely has to do in April.

I have my wood stove burning. Not that it's that cold here - it's been in the low 40's, but with clouds/showers (and even snow flurries early in the day). Supposed to be around freezing tonight, then warmer temps beginning to kick in. Mostly I have the stove on because I just managed to use up the last of the firewood in the 3-season porch, so I  moved the racks outside and swept up all the debris from the logs so I can start moving a bunch of my plants back in there tomorrow. They like it much better out there since our house is rather lacking in windows with really good exposure (there is not one window on the North side of the house), so my plants get a bit unhappy over-wintering indoors.

Nothing like taking a furbaby in for their vaccines and just get a check up and an antibiotic shot after being blindsided by the neighbor's new cat and discover that they have a grade 5 heart murmur (grades are 1-6) and had to reschedule my week so she could get a cardiac ultrasound.  Bloody hell, she's only 8 years old and we've had her since she was 3 weeks old.  

• Love 19
18 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Nothing like taking a furbaby in for their vaccines and just get a check up and an antibiotic shot after being blindsided by the neighbor's new cat and discover that they have a grade 5 heart murmur (grades are 1-6) and had to reschedule my week so she could get a cardiac ultrasound.  Bloody hell, she's only 8 years old and we've had her since she was 3 weeks old.  

I am thinking good thoughts for your furbaby.  

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Catfin said:

It was 48 in MPLS today. They're forecasting between 1-18 inches of snow over the next several days. I give up.

1-18 inches???!!!!  I think some weather person needs to get a bit more precise!  And wishing you warm days and lots of sunshine

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Porkchop said:

20 degrees F when I got up this morning, still 20 now at 2:30 p.m. Will spring ever come? And rain forecast for all day tomorrow, making it a hard run for the Boston marathoners.

I'm still the outlier when it comes to weather preferences...It's been in the high 60's the past couple of day, which was certainly kind of nice, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it much warmer. Today, blustery, cloudy, drizzly, and in the high 30's low 40's, and other than it's not exactly great gardening weather, I'm as happy as a clam.Daughter &  Son-in-law over for dinner with the baby...I had the wood stove burning to make it nice and cozy indoors, but my bedroom has the window open and fan running- it's about 53 degrees in here right now, and I'm bundled in my comforter sung as the proverbial bug in a rug...Had a bit of trouble sleeping the last couple of nights when it wasn't getting below 60 in the bedroom...I really do dread the coming of warm weather every Spring.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I didn't know Meee-chelle had a facebook account

!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156079690186578&set=a.10150339377851578.400074.688066577&type=3

Edited to add:  I know this isn't really her account, but the chore chart just seemed like such a Duggar-ish list that it cracked me up!

For me when I click on it, it's not a chore chart.  This is what I see. Weird. :)

rps20180415_211431.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket

Woke up to what looks like a couple of inches of sleet and freezing rain this morning. It's April 16th. I would like a week or two of 60s & 70s before Summer takes over, although I'd prefer Summer over this cold Spring we're having.

• Love 2

Sitting in my car before going in to work. I like being early, but I don’t go IN early ! The rain has subsided for the moment but it’s supposed to rain all day, small stream flooding and all of that. It’s supposed to go down to 30 degrees tonight, and I am just hoping for 33 so it doesn’t freeze!

• Love 4

Our stupid heater has went out. My husband can light the pilot light, but the light will not stay on. Repair man is on his way. I am glad it is not December or January when we had the cold and snow kick in and staying. Still cold, but at least the electricity is still on. Tired of things falling apart and tired of being sick. Cannot go without the heater when your husband had a kidney transplant and is diabetic, and me with thyroid disorder and other health issues especially when I am sensitive to the cold. Sassy is fine with her long hair and fifteen pounds to keep her warm.

Edited by bigskygirl

Bad news is out furnace is obsolete. Good news is we qualify for a program where we can get a new furnace without paying for it. We will have to wait until next week for the new one to be put in since the repair service people are busy this week, so if you can send good warm thoughts our way please. Of course, we are expecting rain and possible snow tonight. I swear if we ever win the major lottery I would donate to organizations who help people out and set up a program for people with medical problems who need help.

Edited by bigskygirl
Set not sent. The Duggars are a bad influence on me. *lol*

@Jynnan tonnix, the talk of Eastern European superstitions reminded me that I think of you and your family when my daughter talks about her friend from school who is Polish. The friend is first generation American, and speaks Polish with her family which was, according to my daughter, a little daunting at first. It's one of those interesting small world fun occurrences which I wanted to share.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Bad news is out furnace is obsolete. Good news is we qualify for a program where we can get a new furnace without paying for it. We will have to wait until next week for the new one to be put in since the repair service people are busy this week, so if you can send good warm thoughts our way please. Of course, we are expecting rain and possible snow tonight. I swear if we ever win the major lottery I would donate to organizations who help people out and set up a program for people with medical problems who need help.

So sorry, Big Sky girl. But so glad you qualify for a new furnace.

Would small, electric space heaters you can move from room to room help? That’s what we got when we had a delay in our furnace replacement. They are not expensive and you can get them at drug stores or home dept type places.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Love2dance said:

So sorry, Big Sky girl. But so glad you qualify for a new furnace.

Would small, electric space heaters you can move from room to room help? That’s what we got when we had a delay in our furnace replacement. They are not expensive and you can get them at drug stores or home dept type places.

The house is not too bad since the weather has gotten nicer. The bathroom is a little cold, but we can take it. We are getting our new furnace next Tuesday morning.

I heat my home with space heaters because the only other option is baseboard heat. I live in a 100 year old house converted into apartments and there is no insulation, plus, all the baseboard heaters are right under the windows. My downstairs neighbor decided to use the baseboards this winter and her heating bill was $200 a month more than it was last year at the same time.

• Love 3

We are using two space heaters (one in the kitchen/living room area, and one in the big bedroom.) My husband tried to find a small one for the bathroom yesterday, but he could not find one to buy. We are on budget billing for our electricity and gas bill, so a new furnace will hopefully get the monthly bill down more.

On 4/15/2018 at 2:37 PM, GeeGolly said:

@Celia Rubenstein and I are travelling again and avoiding the cold weather.

front_es.5.full.jpg

#neverendinghoneymoon #fritosthelanguageoflove #shestillcallsmekitten 

@Celia Rubenstein and @GeeGolly - So I assume you will be going on tour to share with all of us your secret for a long lasting marriage? You have, after all, been married for a whopping 2 whole months. That is so special and precious, like, totally. What a super special season of life!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

@Celia Rubenstein and @GeeGolly - So I assume you will be going on tour to share with all of us your secret for a long lasting marriage? You have, after all, been married for a whopping 2 whole months. That is so special and precious, like, totally. What a super special season of life!

And .... We're writing a book!

• Love 20
On 4/15/2018 at 2:37 PM, GeeGolly said:

@Celia Rubenstein and I are travelling again and avoiding the cold weather.

front_es.5.full.jpg

#neverendinghoneymoon #fritosthelanguageoflove #shestillcallsmekitten 

I like that you two are working on Spanish with each other and teaching us all by posting your Spanish lesson (i.e. the Fritos bag). Tia Temperance is so happy for you.

• Love 9

BRRR!!! My house is cold this morning. The sun is out, so the temps will be climbing up. At least no rain or snow in sight with temps in the 50's and 60's. I think Spring has finally made it first appearance. Go Spring!

Hi, everyone.  I don't generally post in small talk, but ya'll have probably seen me post in the Counting On threads (and others), especially about Jill & Derick, because well, ya'll know....

Anyway, if you happen to follow the Teen Mom small talk thread, you probably already know: I was recently diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. I'm very lucky that it was caught very early.  I'll have a total hysterectomy in the coming weeks.  My friend made us a GoFundMe page as we have a high deductible, have had to pay for some labs that are out network, and we got screwed over by a renter who lived in our condo last year to the tune of $5k+ (it's near impossible to evict in a timely matter/recoup back rent in Louisiana; this is our previous home, so we aren't major landlords with multiple properties), and we have two toddlers whose childcare we spend a small fortune on as we both work full-time. My husband has very few paid days off of work.  We end up using most of them for when one of our toddlers gets sick (which feels like once a month each) and cannot go to daycare, so we are also facing lost income for when he's off to care for me around my surgery, etc.  At first, I didn't want to share it much - or here at PTV - because it feels all grifty and tacky, like the Duggars and others.  But then I figured what the heck.... So I apologize for sharing it if it's tacky, but here goes.  It figure it can't be any tackier than the Dillard's donate button, after all...

After some debate, I'm going to go ahead and post this GoFundMe page one of my best friends made for us:

https://www.gofundme.com/kickovariancancerkatie

I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but it has been a huge help to our family, especially after we lost all of our emergency fund plus more when the tenant in our condo didn't pay us for several months (while we still paid the mortgage/HOA fees/water/sewerage/etc), as doing a timely eviction in Louisiana is damn near impossible and even more expensive.  I know it's kind of tacky to post it, but hell...if these TM girls can have 8 baby showers & gender reveals, then I don't feel as embarrassed about sharing it, I guess.  

Also, ya'll will now see that:

1) I don't actually look like Betty Draper;

2) The resemblance my hubby has to (a non-drugged out, cuter) Ryan from Teen Mom OG;

3) and that the Mini-Nordics may just be the cutest Mini-Batgirl & Mini-Robin ever :)   (from last Halloween).

And thank you everyone for the snark on this site that has kept my mind off of all of this. :)

• Love 24

@MyPeopleAreNordic You got this! You can fight cancer! I think ovarian cancer has a survival rate especially among younger people and when they catch it early! And on the bright side, iirc you don't want more kids so this way you won't have to worry about that.  Stay strong! And we'll try our best to entertain! 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Hi, everyone.  I don't generally post in small talk, but ya'll have probably seen me post in the Counting On threads (and others), especially about Jill & Derick, because well, ya'll know....

Anyway, if you happen to follow the Teen Mom small talk thread, you probably already know: I was recently diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. I'm very lucky that it was caught very early.  I'll have a total hysterectomy in the coming weeks.  My friend made us a GoFundMe page as we have a high deductible, have had to pay for some labs that are out network, and we got screwed over by a renter who lived in our condo last year to the tune of $5k+ (it's near impossible to evict in a timely matter/recoup back rent in Louisiana; this is our previous home, so we aren't major landlords with multiple properties), and we have two toddlers whose childcare we spend a small fortune on as we both work full-time. My husband has very few paid days off of work.  We end up using most of them for when one of our toddlers gets sick (which feels like once a month each) and cannot go to daycare, so we are also facing lost income for when he's off to care for me around my surgery, etc.  At first, I didn't want to share it much - or here at PTV - because it feels all grifty and tacky, like the Duggars and others.  But then I figured what the heck.... So I apologize for sharing it if it's tacky, but here goes.  It figure it can't be any tackier than the Dillard's donate button, after all...

And thank you everyone for the snark on this site that has kept my mind off of all of this. :)

Wishing you a speedy and swift total recovery!!!!!  Early detection a big bonus.  

• Love 5

@MyPeopleAreNordic  Sending good vibes and thoughts your way. It's great that they caught it early. You have a beautiful family, stay strong.

Many of us on the board have been through cancer treatment, surgery, chemo, radiation, etc. It's no picnic, but I found that by asking lots of questions, and putting my total faith in my medical team helped  me keep a positive attitude, which went a long way in helping me recover.. Godspeed.

• Love 9