Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have not been here from the beginning. What was the original focus of this forum?

Intro post for Small Talk. TL;DR, it's the place to talk about anything but the show. (No politics) All this fun stuff, chatting and joking with each other, perfect use of Small Talk. 

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics

...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 4
(edited)

@GeeGolly and @Celia Rubenstein don't forget your bag full of medical things. Try to sell the point to the gangs that prayers and turning your life over to God will save them and protect them from any violence and death, and the biggest thought of all, turning your life over to God will lead you to heaven instead of you know where.

My eyes are feeling a little better after using the eye ointment and eye wash, but they still hurt and are dried out when I wake up in the morning. I go in this month to pick up some new cpap machine items. Maybe I need to try out another cpap mask. I know my eye doctor has a new eye mask patients can use for dry eyes. Maybe I should ask about it.

Edited by bigskygirl
(edited)

My headship and I are in Las Vegas for our honeymoon, and we are in total shock. Talk about sinning right and left. We tried to hand out religious tracts to the gangs, hookers and drug dealers, but it did not work out too well. The worse part was when the gamblers wanted us to pray for them in order for them to win some big bucks. How evil of them! Luckily we have our religious tapes to listen to in order to drown out all the evil heathens out of our minds and souls.

Edited by bigskygirl

@bigskygirl

Our honeymoon is riddled with medical issues! Good thing we have the tapes to keep us focused on our mission! 

My (ex) tooth is healing. The dentist called to check on me and assured me that it's not infected and I'm not dying and I'm going to be fine. I have such bad health anxiety. 

In other news...who is getting slammed with a storm today? We've got snow, rain, ice and wind. Preparing for a power outage. 

• Love 5

Did you go to the same dentist Derelict went to?

We are suppose to get a little snow and ice later today. I feel bad for my fellow Montanans who are getting hit with a lot of snow and blizzard conditions. Some areas are still trying to dig out and are stuck inside their homes for days. One high school basketball team has been stuck in one town for days in a hotel because they cannot go home due to road closures. We are a tough group in our neck of the woods, but enough is enough. Bring on spring!

10 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

What about @Micks Picks? Do we hear from her still?  I loved her.  She always reminded me of Maxine (of Hallmark greeting card fame).  Is she (are you) okay?  Feels like I’ve been off the grid for a couple years.

Haven't heard from her since her surgery and we have been worried. I hope everything went ok and she has just been super busy.

• Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, Marigold said:

@bigskygirl

Our honeymoon is riddled with medical issues! Good thing we have the tapes to keep us focused on our mission! 

My (ex) tooth is healing. The dentist called to check on me and assured me that it's not infected and I'm not dying and I'm going to be fine. I have such bad health anxiety. 

In other news...who is getting slammed with a storm today? We've got snow, rain, ice and wind. Preparing for a power outage. 

NE Ohio here. Snow belt. We got about 10 inches, but the snow is heavy as hell. Power is on at home, but my office is out. Locks were frozen, and when I got in it was 49 degrees inside. Power is not expected to be back on until Saturday night or Sunday morning. Long hours next week. Not much I can do.

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 3
(edited)

Nor'easter up here outside of Boston. My lights are flickering, and I hope I lose power soon because I can not stand to hear my coworker drone on and on for the next hour on this stupid conference call. (I'm working from home). 

ETA: I finally claimed that Skype was acting up and dropped the call. I couldn’t take one more “you agree with me, right?” Ugh, I’m not here to provide you with daily affirmations. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 14

Checking in from Long Island--lots of rain, wicked winds, sleet and snow.  Fortunately I live midpoint between the Atlantic and Long Island Sound, so no flooding.  The north and south shore communities have been hit pretty hard with flooding.

I am planning to stay indoors....

• Love 9
8 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Nor'easter up here outside of Boston. My lights are flickering, and I hope I lose power soon because I can not stand to hear my coworker drone on and on for the next hour on this stupid conference call. (I'm working from home). 

ETA: I finally claimed that Skype was acting up and dropped the call. I couldn’t take one more “you agree with me, right?” Ugh, I’m not here to provide you with daily affirmations. 

Same here in CT...has been sounding as though the house was about to fly loose of the foundation all day, but all is mostly intact and power is still on. We tend to be insanely lucky during power outages in our neck of the woods. Daughter and son-in-law lost power at their place, so are spending the night here. Nice that they are only about 15 minutes away. In less positive developments, there's a big pocket of water behind the paint in the spare bedroom, so a new roof might be in the works sooner rather than later. We were hoping there were still another few years left in it, but the original is about 24 years old...

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Just stopped by as Boytron is getting a MRI I went to the library and got some books for us. I got growing up duggar and it reminds me of Where's Waldo as in the book you have to find the true statements that are true as 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the book are all lies. Please don't read the book while drinking because you will be drunk before you get to the first chaperone. Miss you and will be back hopefully soon.

{{{HUGS}}} for you and Boytron. We all are thinking of you and your son and sending you good thoughts, full frontal hugs and prayers. I guess I should not read the book because I do not want to damage my poor eyes more by rolling my eyes a lot while reading it because of all the manure coming out of the pages.

Whose doesn't, though?

I would also take any one of the Chrises. (in order: Pine, Evans, Hemsworth, Prat

Evans, Pratt, Pine, Hemsworth.

And I will fight any of you for Evans. 

• Love 3

I don't know who any of those guys are.  So, i won't be fighting anyone for them.  I'm entertainment impaired. 

Plus, I have @bigskygirl as my helpmeet.   ;)

Our power stayed on through the storm which is shocking because we loose power with a strong breeze. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I don't know who any of those guys are.  So, i won't be fighting anyone for them.  I'm entertainment impaired. 

Plus, I have @bigskygirl as my helpmeet.   ;)

Our power stayed on through the storm which is shocking because we loose power with a strong breeze. 

Don't feel bad my headship @Marigold  I have no idea who they are talking about either.

10 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

I would also take any one of the Chrises. (in order: Pine, Evans, Hemsworth, Pratt)

This is my order of Chrises, too. I'll give up Evans for Pine. I've be a fan since the second Princess Diaries movie. Random fact, Chris Pine's dad is Robert Pine, oh CHiPS.

Bonus fun fact: Chris Hemsworth's first film role is often cited as the small role of George Kirk, dad to Chris Pine's James T Kirk in the first movie of the Star Trek film series reboot.

... I'm ashamed that I know random Chris trivia. Except about Chris Pratt, he was never really on my radar.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, McManda said:

This is my order of Chrises, too. I'll give up Evans for Pine. I've be a fan since the second Princess Diaries movie. Random fact, Chris Pine's dad is Robert Pine, oh CHiPS.

Bonus fun fact: Chris Hemsworth's first film role is often cited as the small role of George Kirk, dad to Chris Pine's James T Kirk in the first movie of the Star Trek film series reboot.

... I'm ashamed that I know random Chris trivia. Except about Chris Pratt, he was never really on my radar.

Don't be. My favorite Chrises are Evans, Pine, Hemsworth... and Pratt. in this order. 

I watched a soap called Everwood a long time ago and I'm always amused Chris Pratt, who played Bright, is now a heartthrob. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Temperance said:

Don't be. My favorite Chrises are Evans, Pine, Hemsworth... and Pratt. in this order. 

I watched a soap called Everwood a long time ago and I'm always amused Chris Pratt, who played Bright, is now a heartthrob. 

me too (watched everwood). i kinda liked it, actually.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Temperance said:

I don't watch a lot of TV or movies, and only sort of know Chris Pine, who honestly was a perfect choice to play James T. Kirk as their features are eerily similar at some angles, and Chris Pratt because my daughter likes him and showed me some photos of his transition into heartthrob. But looking at pictures of all of them, they seem to have mostly come out of the same mold and could easily be brothers. All good looking in that light-brwn-hair-blue- eyed-all-American way, but none really my type. I tend to prefer more unconventional features. Except Jensen Ackles who is way too gorgeous for even my mind to file away as traditionally handsome and never really pay much more attention to. Don't know how he manages that trick, but he does. My current less-than-half-my-age-and-gay-to-boot fixation is Hale Appleman from The Magicians. 

cast_magicians_eliot_0.thumb.jpg.0cdebc52e4c4a0515cc8f745496efd82.jpg

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
Couldn't resist adding the picture
(edited)

Crap! We are getting hit with more snow with blowing and drifting. Going to be fun driving to the eye doctor office tomorrow. I hope they are plowing and sanding. So tired of the snow and cold. I think the temps will warm up tomorrow, so hopefully it will help the roads be in better shape by the time I have to leave tomorrow morning. Come on Spring!

Edited by bigskygirl
(edited)

It snowed Friday night, and we had dense freezing fog Saturday morning, but the sun came out yesterday afternoon and it was nice out. We are under a winter weather advisory until 5:00 p.m. Now if we can get the sun to come out again and clear out the storm. Already shovel the steps, sidewalk, around the vehicles and clean the snow off the car twice. I swear my car collects the most snow of all the vehicles on the block. It is going to be fun getting in and out of the driveway because we have ice underneath the snow. They plowed once and left a good size snowdrift behind the vehicles.

Edited by bigskygirl
19 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Don't feel bad my headship @Marigold  I have no idea who they are talking about either.

Add me to the table.

Hope everything is ok with Boytron.  He sounds like an amazing kid.

@Happyfatchick, please don't take offense at me that I called your son-in-law an idiot  in my post wondering where you were.  I remembered he was an awful person & pictured you having to go to another country to get your daughter (? And grandbabies) back.  I'm so glad your absence was what is was rather than my speculation. Welcome Back.  Looking forward to your stories.

• Love 3

Made it to the eye doctor office okay. Some icy spots on the main roads, and of course the side streets are snow packed and icy. The sun has come out, and the snow is starting to melt. My eyes are doing better, so another week of using the eye ointment and continue using the eye lid soap foam. Since the eye ointment has steroids in it, she checked my eye pressure. No signs of increased eye pressure which means no signs of glaucoma. My eye doctor was surprised Medicaid okayed the prescription for the one eye ointment. She thought they would turn it down. Go figure! I will be looking at getting another type of CPAP mask. I also will be looking at getting a eye mask which I can heat up in the microwave and put on for about twenty minutes to help with the dry eyes. I probably can use it before putting my CPAP mask on. I also got some samples of over the counter eye drops I can use during the day. So now it is a wait and see time and crossing fingers my eyes will feel better.

5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Made it to the eye doctor office okay. Some icy spots on the main roads, and of course the side streets are snow packed and icy. The sun has come out, and the snow is starting to melt. My eyes are doing better, so another week of using the eye ointment and continue using the eye lid soap foam. Since the eye ointment has steroids in it, she checked my eye pressure. No signs of increased eye pressure which means no signs of glaucoma. My eye doctor was surprised Medicaid okayed the prescription for the one eye ointment. She thought they would turn it down. Go figure! I will be looking at getting another type of CPAP mask. I also will be looking at getting a eye mask which I can heat up in the microwave and put on for about twenty minutes to help with the dry eyes. I probably can use it before putting my CPAP mask on. I also got some samples of over the counter eye drops I can use during the day. So now it is a wait and see time and crossing fingers my eyes will feel better.

Glad you made it safely!

Have you tried running a humidifier while you sleep to help your dry eyes?

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Glad you made it safely!

Have you tried running a humidifier while you sleep to help your dry eyes?

I keep forgetting the eye doctor about a humidifier. I could wear a eye mask at night, but I hate to wake up during the night and be freaking out because I could not see. *lol*

My headship @Marigold and I have exciting news! We are moving to Los Vegas in order to save the heathens from all the sins the town has to offer. It will be a tough job, be we like a good challenge. Sassy is going to miss her kitty friends, but we will keep in contact with social media, and of course making trips every two months to visit our family. We are hoping to grift, I mean ask for donations to help us fund our living expenses because working full time regular jobs will not work out well while we are trying to serve the Lord by spreading his message to the evil heathens.

@bigskygirl

I just ordered the tracts!!!!  Pack your flip flops!  Let's work on the Brown Sister Wives first.  I'm an ex Mormon (and ex IFB) so I can really work a lot of angles here. 

Hows the storms for everyone?  More snow and ice here.  Power is still on!  

• Love 5
(edited)

We were supposed to get up to 18” yesterday. There are little patches of snow here and there. I am convinced the supermarkets pay for these forecasts.

Someone posted this on Facebook after the storm was a bust. (Here, others did get an actual snow fall)

456CB7E0-D95A-4257-AAAB-CA313AF84C7A.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 4

I'm visiting Mr Jyn in Virginia at the moment, but we got about a foot at our place in CT. My mom, a couple of towns over from us got about 15"...Really heavy, wet snow of the sort that breaks tree limbs and clogs up snow throwers.

• Love 4
(edited)

We are finally getting some decent weather. Temps in the 30's and 40's with sunlight. No snow in the forecast. The snow is melting, and the side streets are still a mess. Some parts of Montana are still digging out from major snow drifts and some roads are still close. Yesterday someone posted a picture of dogs sitting on top of a house due to snow drifts. Breaks my heart to see what the poor animals are going through. Ranchers and farmers in northwestern Montana are asking for hay since they cannot get to the hay to feed their livestock, and it is time of year when calves are born, so they are trying to save the mothers and babies the best they can.

Edited by bigskygirl
6 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Heavy wet snow here.  Very hard to shovel. Miserable.

There's not much here, but it is heavy wet snow that is hard to shovel and strains the snow thrower. School is cancelled probably because it's taking forever to clear the parking lots and sidewalks because the snow is basically wet cement. I had to get out and clear the driveway this morning because we had an appointment at 8:40. March is really coming in like a lion!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/4/2018 at 5:27 PM, Barb23 said:

Add me to the table.

Hope everything is ok with Boytron.  He sounds like an amazing kid.

@Happyfatchick, please don't take offense at me that I called your son-in-law an idiot  in my post wondering where you were.  I remembered he was an awful person & pictured you having to go to another country to get your daughter (? And grandbabies) back.  I'm so glad your absence was what is was rather than my speculation. Welcome Back.  Looking forward to your stories.

Dear, dear @Barb23, hahahahaha!!!!!  Surely you didn’t really think I could take offense at “idiot”???  That may be the nicest thing I’ve ever heard him called.  

I haven’t seen where the moderators tell us to stay away from this subject, so I’m cautiously wading in.  I attended a meeting with school Admins and concerned parents last night about safety in our local school system.  Admittedly, I was pissed before I got there because they sent out “vibe” notes ahead of time and it was clear there wasn’t going to be real discussion in any meaningful form.  I wasn’t any MORE aggravated when I left, but all my expectations were met.   (The bar was low, and nothing was accomplished).  I was mentally prepared for nothingness, and I got it.  I do” however, think the guy who was assigned to our smaller group listened to what I said - he actually showed some interest (which was more than many people received...).  I’m just trying to tell them to GET THE COMMUNITY involved.  I mean, I have S.I.X. grands in this very school system.  Sure the parents are working and running like crazy with their kid-taxis, but if they’d play their cards right, I would not be the only silverback checking ids and helping keep order.  He seemed surprised.  Not sure why - is this a new concept?  (It’s really NOT, in THIS family).  I have a darling video of my own dad doing the chicken dance at field day, and pics of my mom face painting kids for fall events.  

But.  What I really came to say (and please please take this with squinty eyes and a grain of salt):  the hall for the meeting has settled in and grown quiet.  The school sup’s are in place.  It is time for the meeting to begin. I’d say attendance was near 300.  We’re expectant and ready.  The side door opens (and this hall is built so that you can see any movement from any seat).  Two youth boys (white, incidentally) enter.  They are both wearing hoodies with the hoods up, and both have their hands crowded into the front pockets.  THREE HUNDRED sets of eyes went saucer size and zoomed in on them.  One turned and left, one went to the top and sat down.  I said to my DIL, “WTH???  Is that part of the presentation???”   I mean, REALLY, WHATTTTT????   I assume he was joining a parent.  I hope.  And I hope the parent snacked the back of his head and said “seriously, stupid???  Take that hoodie off this second!!!”  What was the point of that, honestly?

a meme I saw on fb yesterday from a school teacher friend:  ANYBODY WHO EVER SAT THROUGH A FACULY MEETING WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO CONSIDER ARMING TEACHERS. ?

eta:  seriously I’m not spouting a political agenda of any kind.  Just talking about our locals school safety; that’s all.  Here was the crux of what we learned:  nothing.  The sup says the “have” action plans but they can’t talk about them, as the don’t want to broadcast what happens in a lockdown.   OH!!!!  Well, I feel better!!!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 15
25 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

There's not much here, but it is heavy wet snow that is hard to shovel and strains the snow thrower. School is cancelled probably because it's taking forever to clear the parking lots and sidewalks because the snow is basically wet cement. I had to get out and clear the driveway this morning because we had an appointment at 8:40. March is really coming in like a lion!

The area behind are vehicles makes it fun to back in and out of especially when they come by to plow. We still have snow and ice from the December snow storms. I always worry I will get stuck in snow banks near our driveway or slide and hit the light post across the street while backing out.

1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Heavy wet snow here.  Very hard to shovel. Miserable.

Yeah...Mom just called me about ready to cry...She and my father (before he passed away last year) had spent about 30 years lovingly tending their yard...It's about 1.5 acres, and truly like a park or botanical garden. She says the weeping cherry out by the deck was severely damaged, as was the magnolia out by the stone wall...most of her lilacs are broken, and the forsythia is completely flat under the snow, so she suspects there is a lot broken there as well. Her rhododendrons and hydrangeas have lost a lot of branches and whatever survived is going to be completely misshapen. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yeah...Mom just called me about ready to cry...She and my father (before he passed away last year) had spent about 30 years lovingly tending their yard...It's about 1.5 acres, and truly like a park or botanical garden. She says the weeping cherry out by the deck was severely damaged, as was the magnolia out by the stone wall...most of her lilacs are broken, and the forsythia is completely flat under the snow, so she suspects there is a lot broken there as well. Her rhododendrons and hydrangeas have lost a lot of branches and whatever survived is going to be completely misshapen. 

Oooh, that is so sad.  Her garden has memories of him and now it's broken.  

My mom gave me a tree and it broke in a storm.  That always stung my heart. 

• Love 8

My husband's kidney specialist is leaving Helena in May. No idea why she is leaving since my husband just got the letter in the mail today. He sees her for the last time before she leaves on March 20th. The hospital does have another kidney specialist on staff, and I have heard good things about him. She was the specialist I went to be tested for being a possible donor, and she was the one who noticed something was wrong with my thyroid and ordered a kidney ultrasound which lead to finding the cyst aka endometriosis. She has taken excellent care of him before his transplant and after his transplant. At least he would not have to be referred to a specialist in Great Falls or worse the Great Falls Clinic. I am not saying all doctors in G.F. are bad, but I do not want my husband getting poor medical care especially when it comes to his kidney.

This week is crap. Total crap.  Input appreciated! 

1. Dx'd with shingles, am on anti viral meds. How long until one feels better? 

2. Slated for vacation to Playa del Carmen in two weeks. DD, myself, several friends and their moms are ticketed. They closed the US Consulate there for undisclosed security threats. There is no way I can take my kid there. WWYD? Freck.

• Love 5