Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I'll chip in here. I've had hearing aids for a year or so. Started having more or less annual hearing tests (by an audiologist at my HMO) nearly 10 years ago. Lots of hearing loss among my older relatives. I'm glad I got tested, and I learned a lot from the first audiologist. I was told then, that I had some loss in some frequencies but really didn't need hearing aids quite yet. I was "borderline" for a few more years as to whether I needed hearing aids. Finally last year my tests showed enough loss that I was in the range of "recommended" for hearing aids.

One thing I learned at my firs hearing test (and I'm probably not saying this with great accuracy), is that it's better to get hearing aids "early", meaning not wait until your hearing's gotten definitely bad. That's why so many people hate their hearing aids and aren't helped by them. The problem is not just that you're no longer hearing certain sounds/frequencies, it's also that your brain hasn't processed those sounds lately. And when you suddenly start hearing them again, your brain has to learn how to process them again. Plus, you may need some adjustments to the hearing aids early on. And some people just don't deal well with that period of adjustment, get frustrated and give up.

That said, hearing aid technology has advanced by leaps and bounds just in the last few years. My hearing aids are from Costco (seriously, they have hearing centers with licensed and salaried audiologists who do NOT work on commission) and they are tiny little marvels of technology. I'm sure I could have gone another year or more without them, but watching what some of my older relatives went through, I set aside a hearing aid fund a long time ago. And once I learned that it's best not to wait too long, I decided to give my brain a break and not put it through too much readjustment to processing sounds because I'd waited too long. 

There are different styles and types of hearing aids, and I'd beware of anyone who claims that type X is right for you, unless they are a licensed audiologist who has examined you. Anyway, I'm not an expert, just someone who's paid attention to the subject out of self interest.

I'd like to chime in about hearing aids.  I have a family history of hearing loss, particularly my mother.

Last year., i had a sweet little girl in my kindergarten class, whom I thought might have a hearing problem.  When I  spoke to her father about having a screening (we had them done in the health office at our school), he insisted that she would not tolerate the procedure because she had a fear of medical personnel.  I told the father I would be present in the room, and that the woman performing the test would be someone that the girl knew well.

When we went into the testing room, I told her I would take the test first.  To my dismay I only heard only 1 or 2 sounds during the test.  The little girl tested almost perfectly.  A few weeks later I went to a free hearing screening for seniors in the library.  The screenings, done by audiologists from a leading school for the deaf, were sposored by a local state senator.  I was advised to have a more complete screening to further assess my difficulties.  

One of the posters I saw in the waiting room at the center said that people wait on the average of 7 years before seeking help for hearing issues.  Not being able to hear and understand what peole are saying can contribute to all sorts of social and emotional issues.  I remember the problems my mother had and I was determined to do something about it.

I have been wearing hearings aids since January.  They hook on my ears and are barely visible unless you are looking for them.  They are rechargeable (no need to change batteries) and are controlled by an app on my phone.  I generally dont wear them at home, but they do make quite a difference in the outside world.  Also, I dont have to turn the radio or tv up nearly as high, which I'm sure my neighbors appreciate ?.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't let the people in my life know about my posting,  but if I explained to my mother and older brother about my fascination with religious cults they would understand.   I got into studying religious cults after a multiple murder where I lived.  This was an offshoot of the Mormon church where a whole family was murdered along with a few other people.  The barn where the bodies were buried was on a somewhat busy road near a park and on the way to the cemetery where my grandparents are buried.   We would drive by the barn pretty regularly and talk about it.  The last time I was in the Cleveland area we went to the cemetery and drove by the site.  Someone now has a house where the barn stood.   Pretty creepy. 

Is it wrong that I know exactly what you’re talking about? My sister lived about a quarter mile from the barn, right near Penitentiary Glen. We use to joke about fundie Mormons sneaking through the woods with machetes because we’re classy that way.

No one in my family or friend knows I’m here.  A couple know I hang out at websites devoted to TV shows, but that’s it.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I just attended the Royal Wedding. It was beautiful, inclusive and classy without being stuffy.

No drones, no running and no bare feet, Duggars take note.

Those things don't bother me about the Duggar weddings. I like the running. 

But I also attended the Royal Wedding and it was beautiful. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

How many of you post on the Duggar site on the down low? Meaning no friends or family even know about it.

A few people know. Especially daughter in law. She is a snark watcher too and I share some things with her.  Mr lookeyloo knows but he has not the tiniest bit of interest. They don’t know my secret name though. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I’m on the down low. I want to keep my options open in case I want to complain about them. ?

Like Superfatchick, this is my favorite thread in the forum, but I do read them all and often “like” or sometimes comment on others.

And I am on a few other forums, but not many. Mr. Dance knows I am on a few TV blogs, but has no idea about the details, and doesn’t care.

I think that's Happyfatchick...LOL. Good thing she has a killer sense of humor!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Is it wrong that I know exactly what you’re talking about? My sister lived about a quarter mile from the barn, right near Penitentiary Glen. We use to joke about fundie Mormons sneaking through the woods with machetes because we’re classy that way.

No one in my family or friend knows I’m here.  A couple know I hang out at websites devoted to TV shows, but that’s it.

That was a very big news story in Lake County back in the 90s, I thought everyone knew about it. 

• Love 2

I think that I'm mildly amused with the Duggars.  I've felt strongly that they should have a voice and certain rights as human beings, since they hit the tv.  I think it appealed to me, because I grew up Fundie and certainly can relate to that kind of strictness, though, I lived in a modified version. (Long story.)  So, my family still has many friends who are still into that church and belief system.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I think that's Happyfatchick...LOL. Good thing she has a killer sense of humor!

OMG....I SWEAR that is not the word I typed. Although I do think she is super, and one of my favorite posters. A million apologies, @Happyfatchick.  ?

• Love 4

I so rarely post here, but I do read and I wish good health and healing to all who are currently ill.  I hear "Yammy" rather than "Yanny" and suspect that at age 63, I should have a hearing test!  I've noticed I'm missing some conversation from low talking young 'uns at work.  I did hear "Laurel" on my phone, so I guess the device makes a difference.  I am also on the Duggar sites on the dl.  I mention amusing news about them to my bff sister and co-workers, but they have no idea how much time I spend on these sites.  I don't watch their show.  My fundie dd likes the Duggars for themselves, so I don't share my Duggar snark with her.  

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

When I do refer to this to my family, I say offhand like “you know, that blog I post on sometimes...”

That's the line I use @Happyfatchick.  My son knows & listens politely when I ramble on about something. Mr Barb could care less. I may bring up a big event to my sister but I know she could care less.  They kid me more about my partial QVC addiction. 

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I just attended the Royal Wedding. It was beautiful, inclusive and classy without being stuffy.

No drones, no running and no bare feet, Duggars take note.

I was there too & thought the same thing.  It's funny how our minds go to the Duggar's weddings when we see another wedding. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 5
(edited)

I do home care, and one of my people lives in a hi rise. The building is oddly shaped, so the halls on each floor are circular. someone’s smoke alarm went off, so I went out to see if they needed help. As I left the apartment, I turned left. I couldn’t locate where it was coming from until I went all the way around. It ended up being the apartment next door, to the right. I made an appointment that afternoon. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That was a very big news story in Lake County back in the 90s, I thought everyone knew about it. 

I live a couple blocks south of that. Every time I drive down Route 6 I think of that family. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I had to look this up - true crime + religion/cult = my jam.

Only my hair stylist knows about my interest in the Duggars. We snark on them and the Teen Moms every 6 weeks.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

That seems rude. Economy class seating for a wedding taking place in first class.

They do the same thing with the reception. Only the "A" crowd is invited to the formal evening dinner. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

That seems rude. Economy class seating for a wedding taking place in first class.

My seat was perfect. Heard and saw everything and didn't have to deal with the traffic or wear uncomfortable shoes. If I owned a fascinator I would have worn it, but unfortunately I don't own one.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I had to look this up - true crime + religion/cult = my jam.

Only my hair stylist knows about my interest in the Duggars. We snark on them and the Teen Moms every 6 weeks.

There was a paperback book published about it that I read in high school.  I was surprised to find it in my library in North Carolina.

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

My seat was perfect. Heard and saw everything and didn't have to deal with the traffic or wear uncomfortable shoes. If I owned a fascinator I would have worn it, but unfortunately I don't own one.

Ha! I own three of them, because I never can resist them in an antique store. I keep saying I'm going to bring them back in style, then don't manage to get up the guts to wear them.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Love2dance said:

OMG....I SWEAR that is not the word I typed. Although I do think she is super, and one of my favorite posters. A million apologies, @Happyfatchick.  ?

HAHAHAHA!!!!  @Love2dance that looks sooooo much like something I’d do!   Although ima admit “super-fat” made me wonder if you could actually see me in your mind.  That is hilarious!  I remember when I came up with that handle, I vascillated between happyfat, happyshort, happyround, happyADD.   I wanted something that said “me” but that changes 25 times a day.  Currently I’m battling every weed known to man in my little veggie patch.  Happysweatychick.

Back to royalty - I wasn’t ABOUT to get up and watch that event live, but did watch and read news reports all day.  (And besides, I doubted y’all would remember to leave enough space for my squishy fat arse).  Princess Charlotte!!  Oh my word, the rose halo... she is adorable (well, both the older ones are).  Cuteness!!!  How can someone who looks so much like the Queen be so stinking cute?  Oh wait... someone got married?

I “get” the elegant simplicity Meghan was going for but was surprised and a little underwhelmed with both her wedding dress and the second dress.  But... I wasn’t consulted.  I’m not sure how I was bypassed.

• Love 7
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

HAHAHAHA!!!!  @Love2dance that looks sooooo much like something I’d do!   Although ima admit “super-fat” made me wonder if you could actually see me in your mind.  That is hilarious!  I remember when I came up with that handle, I vascillated between happyfat, happyshort, happyround, happyADD.   I wanted something that said “me” but that changes 25 times a day.  Currently I’m battling every weed known to man in my little veggie patch.  Happysweatychick.

Back to royalty - I wasn’t ABOUT to get up and watch that event live, but did watch and read news reports all day.  (And besides, I doubted y’all would remember to leave enough space for my squishy fat arse).  Princess Charlotte!!  Oh my word, the rose halo... she is adorable (well, both the older ones are).  Cuteness!!!  How can someone who looks so much like the Queen be so stinking cute?  Oh wait... someone got married?

I “get” the elegant simplicity Meghan was going for but was surprised and a little underwhelmed with both her wedding dress and the second dress.  But... I wasn’t consulted.  I’m not sure how I was bypassed.

Thank you for your understanding and forgiveness, @Happyfatchick. Actually, I saw the picture of you that you posted awhile ago, and you are lovely. 

I just loved the royal ceremony....watched on tape of course. I didn’t think I would like such a plain dress, but the veil made it for me.

So, I own one fascinator, and got to wear it to a Kentucky Derby party (in California). I felt like a princess. I can’t seem to post the picture, but it is yellow and not huge, but pretty.

Edited by Love2dance
missing word
  • Love 2

Because Wednesday it's the last day of school and I'll be getting rid of both my boys for the summer if there's anybody in the Denver metro area who wants to help with my big mounds of laundry for the boys please contact me so I don't have a laundry room breakdown?

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

So all the people in the nave had to basically watch the wedding on tv? 

Back when the chapel was built, 700 years or so ago; it was a Roman Catholic Church and the Mass was said in Latin by a priest who had his back to the congregation for most of the service.  There wasn’t much to see and the regular folk weren’t important enough to warrant good sight lines anyway.  There’s no way to really remodel the church without disrupting its historically important architecture.  Westminster Abbey is the same.

I also attended the wedding with my sister.  We didn’t need no stinkin’ fascinates.  We wore tiaras with our pajamas.  Mine had pink gems, hers had blue,  very regal.

For those interested in the Kirtland, Ohio murder case, google Jeffrey Don Lundgren and read all about it.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8

I'm not going to encourage my parents to go with hearing aids anytime in the near future. It seems they come with their own set of issues and a lot of people end up not using them, due to that.  

Oh, on tv, I heard Yanny and online, I heard Laurel.  lol   I just love that kind of thing.

I really like a simple wedding gown, but, I think Megan went a little overboard. lol  It's almost like the designer will suffer from it.  When people hear her name and gown, they'll think, Oh, no, I don't want to go that basic. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, doodlebug said:

For those interested in the Kirtland, Ohio murder case, google Jeffrey Don Lundgren and read all about it.

Cripes, that's awful.  Religion really does screw people up - either because they go thru the looking glass of crazy with super duper belief or they are cunning enough to use it to excuse bad behavior - and really, both apply in this case.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 2
On 5/18/2018 at 9:20 PM, GeeGolly said:

How many of you post on the Duggar site on the down low? Meaning no friends or family even know about it.

I told one friend who looked at me like I was a nutcase, so I told no one else.  But, it’s not only the Duggar snark that I enjoy, its hearing about the other posters lives. Laughing with you all in the good times, crying with you in the sad times. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t want to forget anybody so I’ve assembled a prayer list for myself of whom to send positive vibes and prayers to. If I have left anyone out please let me know. 

@Arwen Evenstar- surgery 

@MyPeopleAreNordic-surgery 

@CalicoKitty-How is your knee healing?

@Marigold-For your power surges

@bigskygirl-that your thyroid issues work out

@Barb23-surgery for your hairball

@Bastet-for her mother’s health issues (and that her Dad stays well) 

@GHScorpiosRule-this dear woman has been thru the mill with CA and is losing her job. She needs a break from bad. 

@ChiCricket-surgery (or are you healing?) 

@Rabbittron-laundry (I’d cheerfully help but am in a different state) and her sons being off from school. 

I wish everyone good health and happiness. 

Total knee replacement tomorrow morning at 6am.   I'm as nervous as a cat.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I'll be thinking of you! My next door neighbor is having a knee replacement tomorrow as well, so I'll have knees on my mind!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t want to forget anybody so I’ve assembled a prayer list for myself of whom to send positive vibes and prayers to. If I have left anyone out please let me know. 

@Arwen Evenstar- surgery 

@GHScorpiosRule-this dear woman has been thru the mill with CA and is losing her job. She needs a break from bad. 

@Rabbittron-laundry (I’d cheerfully help but am in a different state) and her sons being off from school. 

I, too, am thinking and praying for all my cyber friends.  As for me, I am progressing very well.  This is the 6th procedure I have had on my right knee over the years. (yes, 6th).  It is my second complete replacement.  I have to go through Workers Comp, and it takes so long to get anything done.  One month before I went to my current surgeon, I saw another surgeon who told me there was nothing wrong with my knee because the doctor that had done the replacement was so good.  Then I saw my current surgeon.  He actually did tests.  My hardware had come lose, and it was also bent from a fall down a flight of stairs at church.  I was told after surgery that my knee was "a real mess".  It does pay to get a second opinion!!  My recovery is going so smoothly I am almost concerned.  5 weeks post-op and I have complete extension and 119 degree flexion, which is much more than I had previously.  I have pain, but it is surgical pain, not knee pain, so I know it will pass.  I'm still using a walker, but it won't be long before I'll be on my own.  I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers from friends I know, and friends I've never met.  Thank you.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

@Mindthinkr 

@MyPeopleAreNordic and @Arwen Evenstar have cancer and the surgery is the result of that. 

Yes, I believe both were due to ovarian cancer. Been there done that so I’m hoping that they have the same outcome. 

You know I pray for all of you even if you don’t make my list. My PTV friends have given me so much joy and laughter. I am lucky to have real life good people in my life but y’all are are precious too. Be well everyone. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Arwen Evenstar- surgery 

I'm laid up for weeks with toes above nose following bunionectomy/fusion surgery. This is my 6th day!

• Love 14
21 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Back when the chapel was built, 700 years or so ago; it was a Roman Catholic Church and the Mass was said in Latin by a priest who had his back to the congregation for most of the service.  There wasn’t much to see and the regular folk weren’t important enough to warrant good sight lines anyway.  There’s no way to really remodel the church without disrupting its historically important architecture.  Westminster Abbey is the same.

I also attended the wedding with my sister.  We didn’t need no stinkin’ fascinates.  We wore tiaras with our pajamas.  Mine had pink gems, hers had blue,  very regal.

I went to a watch party with some my friends. I, of course, purchased a brand new tiara. Of course I did. It was hand delivered to me from The Royal House of Amazon Prime. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Will be sending healing thoughts to you, for sure. We have several friends who have had amazing success with this surgery and will wish the same for you, @ChiCricket.

4 hours ago, louannems said:

I'm laid up for weeks with toes above nose following bunionectomy/fusion surgery. This is my 6th day!

Oh my, @louannems, that sounds awful. Hope you heal even quicker than expected.

• Love 6

Several of you have reported running into famous people, I think on the Jinger thread.

I had to think long and hard if I'd ever had a star-siting.  Finally it dawned on me that I worked for many years with an x-ray tech who's brother was none other than the adorable Kyle MacLachlan of Twin Peaks fame!

• Love 4

My brother and I chatted up Whoopi Goldberg and her daughter in front of a brunch place where we were all going to eat. Nothing fancy at all, just a neighborhood place. 

• Love 5

If anyone has an extra second tomorrow am please send me a virtual good vibe. I have to be knocked out for some dental work. It’s minor compared to what others are going through but I find dentistry traumatic. Thanks and well wishes for y’all. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

If anyone has an extra second tomorrow am please send me a virtual good vibe. I have to be knocked out for some dental work. It’s minor compared to what others are going through but I find dentistry traumatic. Thanks and well wishes for y’all. 

Sending some good vibes, peaceful procedure, and good outcome your way!  

• Love 7

Thinking & praying for you all.

So much surgery and sickness. Arwen and Nordic with Ovarian cancer....

My health anxiety is running high today. I have a physical tomorrow and I don't do doctors well. I think I have PTSD from my mom's ovarian cancer etc.  I don't know why I'm telling you guys this!  Nerves, i guess.  :) 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

FF hugs, @Marigold. I also have White Coat Syndrome. I have to take my BP at home to prove I'm not going to stroke out at any second.

I've had my B/P taken twice a week for over 3 years as part of the screening process for donating plasma.  It's always in the 106/66 range.  I walk miles every day and run low blood pressures.

Last Monday when I checked in for my toe surgery, it was 144/85!  Nervous!

• Love 4

White coat syndrome here, too. I take my blood pressure often at the local drug store and home, then photograph the results, cause the minute I step into a doctor’s office, it jumps sky high. So frustrating, cause it is right where it should be (with meds) at home or anywhere else. 

• Love 2