Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I actually knew some of this stuff once upon a time. I was a pharmacy tech for many years, and you do pick some things up. But not for nothing do pharmacists make the big bucks.

There is a lot of knowledge about medicine stuffed in their heads. My SIL is a doctor and my niece is a pharmacist. She knows way  more about drugs effects than he does. And I know she's constantly updating her knowledge.

Thanks for the heads up. Because I'll be honest,  I thought..Oh..good idea..maybe I'll just take a little more off each day. As you said, time release pills are not made to work that way.

I saw too many addicts at the drugstores I worked in to want to become one myself.

And now that I am not hurting so much and can think a little bit better, I'm realizing I should have sent one of my (grown)  kids instead of my elderly husband in for that prescription. English is his second language , (but he speaks English just fine) but his accent takes getting used to.

Oh, and the fact that's he's losing his hearing and won't admit he didn't hear/understand what the other person said..yeah..probably stressed him and the drugstores the hell out. (sorry..if you read this far..it's the drugs, I swear)?

PS doctors also have vast knowledge. Just that my SIL will always just be Nathan to me..kind of a doofus who loves my daughter and their kids, but who became a doctor years after I first knew him (when he was still a mechanical engineer.) So, poor guy will never get that doctor respect from me)

PPS GAH..must stop typing!! 

I was a pharmacy tech, sort of, for some years as well. It was a small neighborhood pharmacy, and 40 years ago they really didn't have pharmacy techs, per se. Nothing was computerized yet, and we had a monster of an old typewriter to type labels (I got exceptionally good at deciphering doctors' handwriting!). We had big filing cabinets with all the prescriptions and ledger books to record everything by hand. Eventually I got quite familiar with most of the medications, and could do pretty much anything we needed on a day-to-day basis except for giving advice and physically filling the prescriptions. We rarely filled anything narcotic, though. I loved that job, but had quit after we moved from the area after was married. I got a job at a pharmacy again a couple of years later, but everything was going to computerized systems at that point, and I so much missed the routine of sitting with the ledger books and recording everything like a medieval scribe! LOL . I didn't keep that job long.

Fun fact - at that first pharmacy we used to occasionally fill prescriptions for Katharine Hepburn's brother and sister-in-law, who were the  most gracious couple, and also for her  youngest sister who always reminded me of Aunt Pittypat from Gone With The Wind - you could so tell that she had grown up as the baby of the family and never quite outgrew it! Once we filled a couple of prescriptions for Katharine Hepburn herself after she had broken her ankle.

• Love 12
On 5/25/2018 at 9:40 PM, ChiCricket said:

Thanks everyone. I feel a little bit better, even though I'm scared to death to take the meds they finally got the pain to stop with so I could be released. (Oxycontin.)

Same surgeon, same hospital, different knee and nerves I guess.

I just hope I can easily be weaned off of the stuff (it was hard enough to find a pharmacy that even carried it.)

Tomorrow a home health nurse and physical therapy comes. Anything's gotta be better than to try to sleep in a hospital, and having to a ring a a bell everytime I needed to pee. :)

Bless all nurses..I couldn't do that job!

Definitely listen to your body and what it needs for pain control!  In the long run, you won't do yourself many favors if you are so afraid of taking pain medications that you can't participate in the physical therapy needed to get that knee functional and "normal."  You'll have more pain long term with a knee that doesn't reap the rewards of what you just put yourself through.

I've never had surgery myself, but I'm an occupational therapist who has worked with hundreds of people who have.  Invariably we get the best results from the people who are really able to tolerate the therapy necessary to improve.  Also, almost without exception, people who have had knee replacements are miserable for a bit, but then are SO, SO happy they've had it done.  Knees are way more painful than hips, in my experience.  But having it done will improve your quality of life so much (as you know from having the other one done).  

My thought on pain meds is that as long as you aren't feeling any "high" from the meds, then your pain is so strong that the whole dose of meds is necessary to target the pain.  Once you start to feel a bit of a mind shift on the meds, then the pain probably doesn't need that much help anymore.  But definitely discuss all this with your doctors.  Just don't do your recovery a disservice by trying to be a hero.  :)

• Love 7
5 hours ago, chilis said:

Definitely listen to your body and what it needs for pain control!  In the long run, you won't do yourself many favors if you are so afraid of taking pain medications that you can't participate in the physical therapy needed to get that knee functional and "normal."  You'll have more pain long term with a knee that doesn't reap the rewards of what you just put yourself through.

I've never had surgery myself, but I'm an occupational therapist who has worked with hundreds of people who have.  Invariably we get the best results from the people who are really able to tolerate the therapy necessary to improve.  Also, almost without exception, people who have had knee replacements are miserable for a bit, but then are SO, SO happy they've had it done.  Knees are way more painful than hips, in my experience.  But having it done will improve your quality of life so much (as you know from having the other one done).  

My thought on pain meds is that as long as you aren't feeling any "high" from the meds, then your pain is so strong that the whole dose of meds is necessary to target the pain.  Once you start to feel a bit of a mind shift on the meds, then the pain probably doesn't need that much help anymore.  But definitely discuss all this with your doctors.  Just don't do your recovery a disservice by trying to be a hero.  :)

I've had my left hip and right knee replaced, no comparison; the hip was a piece of cake, hardly any pain (and much less than pre op) and I was back to work at 4 weeks post op.  The knee was a whole 'nother story.  Far more pain and swelling; the first 2-3 weeks were miserable.  Once that subsided, recovery was pretty uneventful, but the first couple weeks were miserable.  It's almost a year on the knee now and it's doing fine, no pain at all, ever.

• Love 9

My mom had a friend who had her knee replaced a few years ago. She was so irritated about not being able to sleep in her own bed upstairs that she sat on her butt and scooted backwards up the stairs. All was fine until she realized the next morning that she couldn't get back downstairs on her own. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

My mom had a friend who had her knee replaced a few years ago. She was so irritated about not being able to sleep in her own bed upstairs that she sat on her butt and scooted backwards up the stairs. All was fine until she realized the next morning that she couldn't get back downstairs on her own. 

Downstairs is generally tougher than upstairs when it comes to joint replacement.  I guess I had tougher PT/OT in the hospital, but one of the first things they did was get me on the stairs to go up and down.  I have a day bed in one of my extra bedrooms that I moved downstairs for napping/resting during my recovery; but, for the most part, I slept in my own bed upstairs from the start.

• Love 3

@doodlebug, I’ve said this to you before (several years back), but I sooooo love when you post.  You are so helpful, and I appreciate the low key way you state facts.  I always always read your posts and take in what you say.  I’m glad you’re a poster here.  

• Love 21

I found that  knee revision surgery is quite different than a regular knee replacement. For my revision, they took out the old hardware and installed a whole lot more hardware.  I saw  my x-rays last week, and jeepers!, I have quite a scaffold in there now!  My scar is about 10 inches long.  This surgery was with a different doctor at a different hospital, and I have found that the "rules" are different at different places.  I attended the "knee class" before this surgery (I went to the class for the first surgery, too), and this hospital and surgeon had some milestones you had to meet before you could go home.  You had to be able to walk (with a two-wheel walker) a certain distance (I think it was about 200 feet), you had to be able to stand for 10 minutes, and, if you had stairs at home, they asked you how many you had, and then you had to be able to go up and down that many stairs.  Since I don't have any stairs, I missed this exercise.  The surgeon this time specializes in knee revision, and, I must say, my recovery is just zooming along.  ( I have to brag just a little--Seven weeks out, and I have very little pain, take no meds, and was told by the doctor to slow down and sit down more because I want to do too much.  Full extension, 120 degree flexion.  Still can't drive, but I hope it won't be too much longer.)  Best of luck and good wishes to all the "new knees" out there.  Trust me, it DOES get better!  Remember, ice is your friend.

• Love 16
(edited)

On this Memorial Day, I would like to thank our posters who have served in the military or have family members who served or are serving. There are no words that can adequately give you the appreciation you deserve.

eta: I know this is Memorial Day, not Veterans Day. I originally had a longer post about a friend who was killed in Iraq. I ended up deleting it, but it did make me think of our veteran posters or military families so I wanted to acknowledge them too. If there is anyone here who lost a loved one in service to our country: my thoughts and eternal gratitude are with you and your family today. 

Sorry for the confusing post. It’s been a long day. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 12

Once upon a time, I had a pretty close relative-in-law who made a tidy sum of money selling knees and hips.  He totally sold those appliances to doctors.   (Being completely serious for once).  He would even do the scrub thing and go into the surgical bay to be on hand when he had an apparatus going in.  The reason I mention this is because of the seeming disparity in procedures, scars, etc.  (TEN INCHES @CalicoKitty... DANG!!!  You could have delivered a litter of kittens from a 10 inch incision... but that would be a story for another day I guess).  Anyway, what I meant to say was that some of the differences in the surgeries, where there are appliances (seriously, that’s what they’re called I think), is the appliance itself.  @doodlebug can address this better, but if company X supplies the knee joint, then company X would dictate the installation procedure rather than the hospital, or even the doctor.   Which is also to say there are, in fact, salesmen roaming this earth with knee joints and hip replacements in their briefcases, and the trunks of their cars  probably look a bit gruesome.   By the way, the relative-in-law got fired, and then sued by his company  -and now lives on his daughters couch and looks like bit like the dad on Duck Dynasty.   Serious about that too.  I might get you a deal on hips and knee parts if you don’t ask too many questions; pm me if interested.  (Not so serious about that...)

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

Anyway, what I meant to say was that some of the differences in the surgeries, where there are appliances (seriously, that’s what they’re called I think), is the appliance itself.  @doodlebug can address this better, but if company X supplies the knee joint, then company X would dictate the installation procedure rather than the hospital, or even the doctor.

Interesting, and I second that the company supplying the hardware may set recommendations for surgery. Your relative-in-law sounds as though he may have had a job similar to that of my uncle, who worked for a company that sold medical hardware for orthopedic surgeries (metal plates and screws for setting bones rather than hips) up until several months ago. Basically, his job involved ensuring that the install was performed properly and went off without any hitches. He had to know and understand the hardware sufficiently to see that its usage would be supported by its design. He ended up quitting when he and my aunt started their own business.

Edited by SnarkyShark
Grammar
  • Love 3

I would see these company rep appliance guys all the time in the OR. X-RAY techs are called to the OR STAT, but then we usually end up having to wait till they're ready for the image.  Those guys would set up shop in the back of the room and consult with the surgeon as needed.

I would see these company rep appliance guys all the time in the OR. X-RAY techs are called to the OR STAT, but then we usually end up having to wait till they're ready for the image.  Those guys would set up shop in the back of the room and consult with the surgeon as needed.

I would mostly see them in complicated spinal surgerys involving hardware.

• Love 1
(edited)

Got my first therapy session next Monday morning. My new therapist use to work at the hospital, and she was the dialysis unit social worker when my husband was on dialysis, She was so nice, professional, caring and easy to talk with. Next week it will be busy with my first therapy session on Monday morning, Wednesday morning I have my mammogram, and Thursday morning I have a six month fellow up appointment with my endocrinologist.

Edited by bigskygirl

I find it a little creepy that a sales rep is sitting in surgery advising the surgeon.  I guess it’s a good thing if the sales guy knows his product... but I can’t get the image out of my head of that big floppy wind blown guy at the car dealerships.  

My mom (mama) had many surgeries over the years - rotator cuff, bladder, hysterectomy, knee replacement and others.  They always gave her morphine, and it was my mission in life to get her off that ASAP.  Oh good LORD, she was a crazy crisis on morphine.  

So the knee replacement: Daddy was still young enough to be feisty back then, and insisted on staying with her the night following surgery.  (Morphine).  I argued, but nothing would suit him except to stay.  He said “you get a good nights sleep, I’ll stay.  But you come on up in the morning and let me go get some rest”.  He sounded capable and determined, so I left.  Next morning at 6, my phone is ringing.  I can tell without seeing his face that his teeth are clenched.  “Are you on your way?”  Ahhhh, nooooo, not exactly (in fact, he woke me up).  Innocently, is something wrong, Daddy?  “You need to get in your car right NOW and get up here” (with the clenched teeth).   I was a little tickled (I mean, I tried to tell him).  So I rush around, get ready and fly on up to the hospital.  I get there, and my Daddy is standing at her door watching down the hall for me.  Has his coat on, his little brown snack bag in his hand, locked and loaded, ready to G.O.  I couldn’t even help it (not having a full scope of what MY day was going to be like... I said “rough night?”  I don’t think he even answered me.  By the time I asked the question, I could hear the elevator button being pushed repeatedly.  Funny thing - when I asked my brother to stay that night, Daddy didn’t even argue.  Huh.  

This is longish, sorry, but there’s another part.  Next morning, they make Mama get up and pee.  They brought in an old wooden chair (where did they GET that relic???) that reminded me a whole lot of the chair they strapped John Coffey into on the Green Mile.  Huge.  Mama (morphine) says suspiciously, “what is THAT?”  It’s your potty chair, the nurse says brightly, doc wants you to stand up and sit on this to pee.  Mama’s eyes narrowed.  “I can’t”.  Yes, you can.  I’m-on help you.  (That’s how we say it in the south, “I’m-on” means “I’m going to”.   We talk so slow, we take short cuts to make our point).  So up she goes, much groaning and griping, finally gets seated on the throne.  The nurse and I both can hear the tinkle, and the nurse helpfully rolls off some toilet paper and holds it out.  Again, Mama with the stink eye.  (Morphine:  Mama was generally a very pleasant woman).  “What am I ‘spose to do with that?” she wants to know.  Nurse leans over like she might actually perform the task while explaining, “it’s for, you know, to wipe yourself...”.  Mama reaches out and grabs the toilet paper wad while spitting out “I’ll DO IT!  I KNOW WHERE MY TWAT IS!!!”   Well, you know.  Morphine.

• Love 16

Hi guys. I'm coming along after my surgery.  I'm at a PT rehab facility to get myself up & going. Place is not too bad considering how these places can be. Can't wait to catch up on the boards. Something usually happens with Duggars when I'm having one of my health issues. Thanks again for your prayers & well wishes. They worked!!

• Love 24
6 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Hi guys. I'm coming along after my surgery.  I'm at a PT rehab facility to get myself up & going. Place is not too bad considering how these places can be. Can't wait to catch up on the boards. Something usually happens with Duggars when I'm having one of my health issues. Thanks again for your prayers & well wishes. They worked!!

{{{HUGS}}} @Barb23 Good luck with your rehab.

11 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Great news, @Barb23. Hope your rehab continues to go well and as quickly as possible.

• Love 8
(edited)

oh dear friends, its been the week from hell here from me. first, to those recovering from surgery and illness, feel better!

so, i have been planning a surprise party for my husband for the last two months. 50 people, and my son is flying in from out of state, as the icing on the cake. so on tuesday i went to pay the catering fee for the food (hawaiian style entrees etc). i thought it said $107 for the package i wanted. ummm nope -- $400+!  so i left there without ordering the food.  i decided i would make the food myself on friday and downsize my menu. 

yesterday i was cleaning in my grandsons rooms and found ...BEDBUGS!  i got an exterminator asap and he quoted me $450 to spray and kill it. i stripped his room, did literally about 8 loads of laundry yesterday...emptied his closets etc (they are hard items (toys, legos etc) that are safe from bugs and are currently spread out on my patio and my kitchen table). i bagged his stuffed animals and hats to put them in the sun and so much more. oh and my back is messed up to begin with - i was dying last night. and no sleep either.

so the guy comes today and takes care of it. he tells me 'no using the room or bed for a week). but it is safe to have the party still because there is no evidence of any infestation anywhere else in this house. so GS and i had to vacate the house for 2.5 hours. 

we are back in now and i have to clean and put awAy an entire bedroom of a 12 year olds stuff and then finish the rest of the laundry. all to go get groceries tomorrow . 

i have vacillated about cancelling but the bug guy promises me that there is no need to -- just dont let anyone in that one single room that was contaminated. i decided to go ahead and have it but i i feel guilty about it too. i thought i could post a sign on the door and give people the option to go around to the backyard and bypass the house altogether.  feedback?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i canceled the party. found a live one on the carpet. call pest control and they said it can take several days for them to all die. i give up. 

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 16

Okay, I may have been spending too much time here because I had a Duggar dream last night. In it, I was getting kicked out of the family because I was gay (I'm bi IRL so that wasn't that weird to me), With me, they were also kicking out the four other kids who were gay. I wish I could remember all of them, but I know one was Joe and one was Josie. We were all going to live together and be happier. I remember Joe had his first kiss with another man in the dream and he was astonished.

So... there's that?

• Love 9
5 hours ago, zoomama said:

feedback?

You could put a sign up pointing to the location of your party but people will need to go into house to use the bathroom. If your sons door is near the bathroom door you might choose to put a sign on his door that says ____’s Room...Keep Out. I don’t think that you owe them an explanation of what’s going on as you have handled the problem. 

Have a great party. How nice that you have worked so hard to put this all together. (Against the odds) 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, zoomama said:

feedback?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i canceled the party. found a live one on the carpet. call pest control and they said it can take several days for them to all die. i give up. 

Oh, @zoomama, I am so sorry. That is a heartbreaking nightmare. But you did what you had to do, and tried your best to make it happen. I hope you, your husband, son (and other close family?) will have a lovely, if quieter celebration.

• Love 8

@zoomama I’m so sorry all your plans got derailed. Drats that they weren’t just contained to your son’s room. Good luck with a full infestation. I’ve heard that they can be pesky to get rid of. Best wishes with all of that. 

• Love 4

I'm so sorry about that Zoomama - how disappointing, and what a pain in the ass.  I can't imagine all the work you are having to do with cleaning and laundry.  We have problems with ants right now so I understand, even if it's not to your degree.  Maddening!  My thoughts are with you.  

Let's have a few posts of good news....anybody got some?  I'm going to visit my gal pal in WI and am hitting the road in a bit.  I hate hate hate highways but I poured over Google Maps and found a good way to get to Madison without any major traffic.  I couldn't drive in Chicago or big big cities, I'd be having multiple heart attacks.  I guess I am just a country mouse after all.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Let's have a few posts of good news..

I have my best friend of over 25 years here staying with me. We have been out to eat but mostly we like to eat at home and watch movies, catch up on family gossip and bounce ideas off of each other. She might be leaving today (to go to her sons) but if she doesn’t I see a bottle of wine on the menu tonight. 

I’m grateful that all of my friends seem to be in good health other than misc aging issues. 

My brother is fly fishing out west with his wife and he caught the biggest trout ever..then released it. Great photo tho. They will be married 50 years this June. 

• Love 11

Many of us love to listen to YouTube.  There is a new rabbit hole I have gone down while recovering from surgery!  She has many, many YouTube vlogs and I find them calming and interesting.  She is Andrea Mills out of Wyoming.

They are a Fundy couple with 9 kids living in a small house and of course they homeschool, home church, homebirth, home medicine, etc.

Andrea makes long videos showing the fine details of organization and everyday family life.  There is a lot I like about her beliefs in parenting; they are quite creative in their parenting and don't believe in spanking, which is refreshing.

However, these people are nutballs who believe in false news and conspiracy theories!  They also are terrible homeschoolers.  She basically throws a worksheet at the kids and tells them how many pages to do.  But she does seem very organized about it all.  They use the horrible ACE stuff.

They seem to actually love their kids and they get computers and even play Magic games and play with neighbor kids and go to library storytime every Wednesday so not totally isolated.  But I really feel sorry for their eldest, a 16 yo boy who just seems so weird.

Andrea has a $6,000 monthly budget to work with and shops with abandon, throwing everything she needs and wants into her shopping trips.  She shows us everything.  You would not believe the amount of junk food that family eats!

Anyway, for anyone looking for a new rabbit hole, Andrea Mills has given me hours of (tedious) entertainment!

• Love 4

@louannems

Yes!  I know Andrea! !!!!! I cannot believe she just had a baby.  I thought she was pushing 50 or more.  Yikes!  She is a hoot to watch.  I homeschool and she is an embarrassment.  I shock watch her homeschool her kids.  

And our favorite?  Candy Bauer.  Eyes2Jesus.  She has had a bizarre blog for years and years.  at least 12 years.  She has recently come out as having Aspergers so the snark isn't as fun since we now know she has some issues.  But I still get a kick out of how excited she is about her planners! 

I love youtubers and listen while I type reports for work. 

I would watch Jana.  She is the only Duggar who can carry a topic of interest.  And that includes JereME whose sermons are on youtube.  ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

• Love 2

We drove in from metro Atlanta to Nashville today. Son and his hubby drove in from other side of Atlanta. Brother and wife flew in from Oregon. The purpose of this trip?  Nashville is the only place in the US where White Castle and Krystal are both available. Brother and I grew up with White Castle. We now live near Krystal. He doesn’t live near any of them.  Trip is just for fun. Brother is sure he will like White Castle better. I remain open. Rest of group doesn’t care. We know they are crap food but once every few years shouldn’t cause too much damage. 

• Love 12

aww lookyloo, i have nashville in my sights for my roadtrip this summer! how long was your drive?

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

@zoomama I’m so sorry what you’ve been through. Throw everything in the dryer on HIGH and bag up. What about the electronics in the room? (Computer/tv etc)

i dont think electronics are an issue and if they are, i am doomed. i had just stripped his room of them all and they are in hiding. hope i didnt spread bugs with that hiding. i think to live they need a food source, so i am hopeful that they are not traveling in his computer. 

• Love 2
Just now, zoomama said:

aww lookyloo, i have nashville in my sights for my roadtrip this summer! how long was your drive?

It should have been 4 hours from south Cobb but there were two wrecks - one that shut down I 75 at I 575 and then a detour outside Nashville. So it was 4 and a half hours. 

3 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i dont think electronics are an issue and if they are, i am doomed. i had just stripped his room of them all and they are in hiding. hope i didnt spread bugs with that hiding. i think to live they need a food source, so i am hopeful that they are not traveling in his computer. 

They can live a long time without food- the adult ones. I’d put all electronics (like computers) in a cheap cooler with one of those poison capsules they sell and leave for at least a couple of weeks (seal it up). 

Youll probably need additional treatments to get them all in the life cycle. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, Marigold said:

@louannems

Yes!  I know Andrea! !!!!! I cannot believe she just had a baby.  I thought she was pushing 50 or more.  Yikes!  She is a hoot to watch.  I homeschool and she is an embarrassment.  I shock watch her homeschool her kids.  

And our favorite?  Candy Bauer.  Eyes2Jesus.  She has had a bizarre blog for years and years.  at least 12 years.  She has recently come out as having Aspergers so the snark isn't as fun since we now know she has some issues.  But I still get a kick out of how excited she is about her planners! 

I love youtubers and listen while I type reports for work. 

I would watch Jana.  She is the only Duggar who can carry a topic of interest.  And that includes JereME whose sermons are on youtube.  ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

The main reason I can stand to spend hours listening to Andrea Mills is because her videos are virtually devoid of god-speak.  There is no god laid it on our hearts, no god blessed us, really no references to religious beliefs, except for the ACE curriculum.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 1

ODG. My Jazzercise instructor just posted a FB update with her 4 kids on the last day of school. She said they are all entering their “next season of life.” Gulp. This is the one, while wishing her oldest daughte (like 11 or 12?) a happy birthday, said she had a “servant’s heart.”  Yikes. 

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, zoomama said:

even though the party was cancelled, my son arrived in the middle of the night on a flight from texas to surprise my hubby in the morning when he woke up. we had breakfast out, then park day with all 6 of our kids and 7 grandkids...followed by a few hours of rest (or board game playing if they were younger than i am - hence i rested, they played)...and ended the day with dinner at a bbq place and ice cream from thrifty's.  even tho i was disappointed that the party got cancelled, it turned out to be a good day after all. now i wait for the last load of laundry to finish and then i am signing out for day. can you say 'exhausted'?

Sounds like you made “lemonade!” I’m sure your husband had a lovely birthday, just not the one you worked so hard on.

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m thinking about everyone here today. Is everyone recovering and feeling better? 

First counseling session yesterday morning was okay. Talk about my family and the dreaded in-laws. I did not sleep well last night and had a dream where I was actually talking with Josh and Anna. UGH!!! The weird thing is when I wake up in the morning I feel like crap until the thyroid med starts kicking in. I told my therapist my mind feels like it is kicking into over drive, and I need to keep busy or I get bored easily and get tired faster. One minute I can feel anxious, and the next minute I want to go crawl into bed and sleep for days. It could be a lot worse. I know my thyroid levels play a part in it, but still...

Edited by bigskygirl

Popping in to see how everyone is feeling.   XOXOXO

I'm feeling better.  My health anxiety is gone, for the moment.  I'm trying to clean up my house, declutter, put away laundry, organize etc.  Painted my front door, power washed the step...stuff like that.   Work is slowing down for the summer so I'm taking advantage of that.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m thinking about everyone here today. Is everyone recovering and feeling better? 

Recovering but not feeling better, and I'm CRABBY as hell about it. My poor husband.

Thanks for asking, though.

• Love 8

@Mindthinkr it has been five years since I started taken the thyroid med. I think my mind and body has been on strike since I started taking it. *lol* Right now I am in hyperthyroid land which probably does not help the anxiety at all. At least my allergies and sinuses are not acting up. My appointment with the allergist is not until July 24th, so I am crossing fingers no grass allergy flare ups until I see the allergist.

@bigskygirl Oh gosh. I didn’t know the backstory. At this point your meds should be regulated. Lol...I can relate. I can’t find meds to control my BP. I weigh 84 lbs at this point and my BP can be 200/100 (a bit more or less). The Drs are astounded. Sounds like you are making them think too. They all need someone to challenge them. The same old, same old gets boring for them. I also relate to the allergy issue. Grass pollen is over the top right now in my area. Been through a couple of boxes of Kleenex. I sincerely wish this was easier for you. Best wishes forward. 

• Love 4
(edited)

@Mindthinkr My primary care provider (physician assistant,) endocrinologist and eye doctor are frustrated also because I have been sick and miserable on and off for five years. I was fine until I started taking the one medication. The endocrinologist I see now thinks I may have had thyroiditis right after I started taking the med, but it was not caught in time. It took two years and a second opinion to find it looks like I am very sensitive to hyperthyroidism symptoms, but the first endocrinologist said I was not. GRRR!!!

I hope your allergies get better. Having grass allergies at this time of year is not fun at all.

Edited by bigskygirl
10 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

First counseling session yesterday morning was okay. Talk about my family and the dreaded in-laws. I did not sleep well last night and had a dream where I was actually talking with Josh and Anna. UGH!!!

I feel your dream pain.  Last night I had a dream where I had gone to snark watch Jeremy preach on a Sunday to his church.  NO ONE showed up.  NO ONE.  It was just me with Jeremy's full attention.  Since I have an unstable shoulder, my sleep is often halted during the night because I rolled over and got a good shot of pain.  And since I can only take an herbal sleep aid - I've had 2 pharmacists go over everything sleep related in their stores and I can't take any of them - I'm deathly allergic to Benadryl, so that takes them all out.  Anyway, at the max dose of the herbal sleep aid I get 3-3 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep at best.  

Also I have major anxiety and I've gotten some good tools to use and help using the website 7cups.com  The nearest therapist for me now in my health org is about 40 minutes away or more, all in heavy traffic which spikes the anxiety even more.  You can ask your therapist about it to help you during the week if you need it.  I find it's a great source when I'm at my wits end and it's like 1130 at night and need someone to talk too, and I can life chat with a trained listener there.

• Love 2

I take doxylamine as a sleep aid.  It's an antihistamine, but not the same as Benadryl.  I don't know if you'd react to that also.  Benadryl and I don't get along very well either. 

• Love 3