Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I used to take Benadryl fairly regularly for sleep (a doctor recommended it!). Did not realize how much it affected me until one of my international flights for work. I got to the airport in Zurich and was going to the train station to transfer. Ran into a colleague and was surprised to see her. She told me we had had an entire conversation in line for the business class bathroom on the plane the previous evening. (I took overnight flights to Zurich from SFO.) That was one of the last times I used Benadryl to sleep.

• Love 2

It's always worth talking to your pharmacist and while it's true trazodone is often prescribed in low doses as a sleep aid because of it's sedating properties, it's actual indication is as an (SARI) antidepressant. 

Ambien, Lunesta, or Belsomra are some actual medications indicated for insomnia but come with their own set of side effects. 

• Love 1

I was told not to take a sleep aid because of the sleep apnea. I have tried two medications to help me sleep, but the side effects were not pleasant, so I stopped taking them within the first few days after I started taking the med.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I was told not to take a sleep aid because of the sleep apnea. I have tried two medications to help me sleep, but the side effects were not pleasant, so I stopped taking them within the first few days after I started taking the med.

I understand all that @bigskygirl. I went from thyroiditis to normal to hypo over a period of time which was miserable except for the brief normal phase.  My dr. then told me to expect to get hypo at some point and I did.  I was regulated for a long time, then by that time that dr. retired so had to start over and was sick until I found another doctor who changed my meds and I started to feel normal again.  Then we moved here and it was another journey to find a dr. to give me what I know I need.  Finally my oncologist stepped up and for the past year I've been feeling normal again.  I have 5 mg. generic ambien that I break into three or four parts and that seems to help when I have a sleepless night.  I can even take that tiny amount in the middle of the night and not wake up groggy.  I know you can't take it, but, just saying that I can't take benadryl (sedates me and gives me hallucinations but doesn't put me to sleep), enough melatonin to make me sleep leaves me zoned out the next day, the other sleep aids don't work as well.  It is a problem for sure.  I hope you find what you need sooner rather than later.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Are you using C-pap or Bi-pap?  Untreated sleep apnea can cause an array of health issues.  If you are, I might have it evaluated to see if the treatment is working. Sometimes, it needs adjusting. I have mild hypopneas, but, use c-pap treatment to help.  It really does and with it, I have an almost zero AHI.  

(edited)

I have had insomnia truly for as long as I can remember. Various sleep aids helped me go to sleep, but they didn’t help me stay asleep. Funnily enough, having twins completely fixed my insomnia for a few years. When it started to creep back, these are all the things I have done with overwhelming success:

set a blue light filter on my phone

set do not disturb setting on my phone 10pm to 7am

set a get ready for bed alarm for 9:30pm. I have to stop what I am doing and make tea, either the sleepy time or something similar. I put on pjs and get ready for bed. I only read this website or something similarly benign. No checking email or social media allowed!

10:30pm is lights out. I turn on Frasier on Netflix on my phone. It’s interesting enough that my mind doesn’t wander and get wound up, but familiar enough that I don’t pay attention and can fall asleep. I know allllll the insomnia tips say no phones and no tv, but this has been a game changer and works for me. If I haven’t gotten ready for bed by 10:30pm, then I punish myself by not allowing myself to brush my teeth or wash my face. It is a good motivator to get ready for bed on time!

ETA my point: turns out having a predictable routine full of sleep cues (sleep hygiene) actually works, just like the drs advised. Go figure. 

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, McManda said:

I've also had insomnia most of my life.  I don't remember ever being a good sleeper and I have never stayed asleep or slept in.

I took temazapam, an old school prescription sleep medicine for 15 years. After I retired (at age 57!), I tried several times to wean myself off the drug.  This time around (nearly 4 yrs later), I have slept without it for about 5 months.  

I do take Valerian Root every night, which I feel works well for me.  Benadryl and melatonin both gave me even worse insomnia!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Are you using C-pap or Bi-pap?  Untreated sleep apnea can cause an array of health issues.  If you are, I might have it evaluated to see if the treatment is working. Sometimes, it needs adjusting. I have mild hypopneas, but, use c-pap treatment to help.  It really does and with it, I have an almost zero AHI.  

I have been using a CPAP machine since late August 2015 when I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea. I am also on three prescription meds I take before going to bed because they can cause me to be more sleepy doing the day. I am also hyperthyroid at the moment. Add the sleep apnea, medications, hyperthyroidism, being a light sleeper in the first place, and anxiety together, and my sleep patterns are all over the place.

14 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I have been using a CPAP machine since late August 2015 when I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea. I am also on three prescription meds I take before going to bed because they can cause me to be more sleepy doing the day. I am also hyperthyroid at the moment. Add the sleep apnea, medications, hyperthyroidism, being a light sleeper in the first place, and anxiety together, and my sleep patterns are all over the place.

Oh, I see.  Hopefully, the treatment is doing its job.  I am registered with ResMedMyair, and my machine sends the info from each night to their headquarters, where they provide them to my online account. I can view each day to monitor my progress and see if I'm having any troubles, leaks, etc. Mine never caused me too much grief, but, I've read online about some people who have serious issues due to it. 

I hope you can find some relief soon. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, I see.  Hopefully, the treatment is doing its job.  I am registered with ResMedMyair, and my machine sends the info from each night to their headquarters, where they provide them to my online account. I can view each day to monitor my progress and see if I'm having any troubles, leaks, etc. Mine never caused me too much grief, but, I've read online about some people who have serious issues due to it. 

I hope you can find some relief soon. 

does a dr have to refer you to this monitoring site? i would love to see how i am doing. i find that i have to adjust the mask often, and i wake up many times a night (potty breaks and just general discomfort wake-ups).

Just now, zoomama said:

does a dr have to refer you to this monitoring site? i would love to see how i am doing. i find that i have to adjust the mask often, and i wake up many times a night (potty breaks and just general discomfort wake-ups).

Oh Zoomama, I'll tell you what I know. If you are still having frequent nighttime urination, I'd get it checked out ASAP. Maybe, discuss it with your doctor, just to be safe.    That was the one symptom that I did have and when I got my treatment, it stopped immediately. 

Do you have a ResMed machine? I have a ResMed AirSense 10, but, other companies also have things like this.  When I first got it, I went to their site and registered.  The number that you use is from the SIM card that is inside your machine. That info on the SIM card is transsmitted to the ResMed headquarters every morning and available for viewing a couple of hours later.   You should be able to register from just the info from the SIM, but, I'm not sure.  It's been a couple of years since I did it.  It gives you a score each day so you can rate the success of your therapy and it breaks it down so you know how many hours it was used, leaks, AHI, etc. 

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/airsolutions/personalized-support/myair.html

There is other software that dose this called Sleepyhead, But, I HAVE NEVER tried it, so, I can't attest to anything about it. You can explore it if you don't like ResMed. It supposedly gives you more details than ResMed.  If I were having issues, I might explore it. 

Good luck in getting some answers. I know how hard it can be.  Getting up during the night.....so disruptive. Please let me know what you find out. 

• Love 2

Just wanted to share I had a Duggar moment.  I was at a homeschool event (very bored and playing on my phone) when they announced that some teen boy graduated from ALERT.

I almost wet my pants!  I poked my daughter, who also finds the Duggars strangely interesting and boring at the same time too.  She didn't know the boy at all.  Too bad, would've loved to have had some conversation with them. 

I swear, the boy was standing like the Duggar boys always stand...with their hands kinda clasped at their waist..  ALERT teaches them to stand like that???  I recognized the stance immediately. 

I know there are always naive people but who the hell would send a kid to ALERT after all those allegations????? 

I thought of these boards immediately.  I'm outside NYC so it's rare to have anything Duggarish around here.  

• Love 11
(edited)

Had my six months fellow up appointment with my endocrinologist this morning. Still feeling like crap and my anxiety and depression seem to have kicked into overdrive this week. I did ask him about how long the thyroid med kicks in. He said it is a slow acting medication, and it can take awhile for the med to do its job. It can take up to a week *oh goody* for the medication to be affective. I do take it everyday, and he said even missing one day can cause the med to kick in more slowly. I see him in four months and have another blood test in three weeks.

Edited by bigskygirl

Hey guys, so my main computer broke and I will be on the site less frequently for about a week (probably). I'm wondering if that means there will be big news like a wedding from the Duggs. Anyway best wishes, and please pray for a friend having brain surgery next week. It will probably go well, so don't worry. Hope to be back soon! Hugs!

• Love 14
On 6/7/2018 at 7:50 PM, Temperance said:

Hey guys, so my main computer broke and I will be on the site less frequently for about a week (probably). I'm wondering if that means there will be big news like a wedding from the Duggs. Anyway best wishes, and please pray for a friend having brain surgery next week. It will probably go well, so don't worry. Hope to be back soon! Hugs!

Many prayers and positive thoughts to your friend Temperance.  I hope you get your computer situation straight. I'm working on getting a backup one, just in case.

I thought of a couple more ideas for those with sleep issues. Have you tried Melatonin? My niece's doctor prescribes it for her, though, it's sold over the counter. I'd check with my doctor before taking any supplement. 

ALSO, have you tried the aromotherapy diffusers?  You put essential oils into water and it disperses around the room.  I've read that Lavender is good for mental relief and relaxation.  Here's a link for one that is similar to mine, though, you can find them just about anywhere. Many have an automatic cut off.   I'd be careful about the essential oil though.  Make sure it's pure and of good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/URPOWER-Essential-Ultrasonic-Aromotherapy-Adjustable/dp/B073F4R7GR/ref=lp_16250381_1_23_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1528555532&sr=1-23&th=1

• Love 6
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Many prayers and positive thoughts to your friend Temperance.  I hope you get your computer situation straight. I'm working on getting a backup one, just in case.

I thought of a couple more ideas for those with sleep issues. Have you tried Melatonin? My niece's doctor prescribes it for her, though, it's sold over the counter. I'd check with my doctor before taking any supplement. 

ALSO, have you tried the aromotherapy diffusers?  You put essential oils into water and it disperses around the room.  I've read that Lavender is good for mental relief and relaxation.  Here's a link for one that is similar to mine, though, you can find them just about anywhere. Many have an automatic cut off.   I'd be careful about the essential oil though.  Make sure it's pure and of good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/URPOWER-Essential-Ultrasonic-Aromotherapy-Adjustable/dp/B073F4R7GR/ref=lp_16250381_1_23_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1528555532&sr=1-23&th=1

I was so hopeful with the aromatherapy and I got a nifty infuser and what was supposed to be "good" essential oils and tried for a long period and had no improvement, bummer.  And enough melatonin to make me sleep at night leaves me groggy in the daytime.  It is a common enough issue - seems like there would be a good solution.

• Love 3

I know this is but a tiny portion of everything you went through, but I just have to say, adenomyosis sucks and the only people I’d wish it on were the medical folks who told me that because my periods were consistently horrible, there was nothing they could or even should do to attempt to improve things. I’m inordinately glad to hear that you hopefully won’t have to deal with that (or related issues) any more, and I hope that your recovery goes better than anyone could have expected, from now on. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I know this is but a tiny portion of everything you went through, but I just have to say, adenomyosis sucks and the only people I’d wish it on were the medical folks who told me that because my periods were consistently horrible, there was nothing they could or even should do to attempt to improve things. I’m inordinately glad to hear that you hopefully won’t have to deal with that (or related issues) any more, and I hope that your recovery goes better than anyone could have expected, from now on. 

Fellow adenomyosis sufferer here. The pain and heaviness of my periods were insane.  Menopause was a relief for me. 

@MyPeopleAreNordic, I’m so glad you are back and doing ok. It sounds like you had wonderful doctors. 

• Love 5

Oh, @MyPeopleAreNordic, I am so, so thrilled that they got it all with surgery! No chemo or radiation is fantastic news! 

I'm sorry that recovery has been difficult. Surgery sucks and to have issues with healing adds insult to injury. I hope you get to hold your toddlers asap.

• Love 6

I was voting on the “Previously’s” and came to the conclusion that they should have had a category about which threads were the best. This one could have won for the most supportive people hands down (although I would like to give a nod to Chit-Chat and the Pets one as they are good eggs too). On this day I celebrate you; all of my fellow posters. 

• Love 12

Interesting article, @SunnyBeBe . The following article is about birthing statistics. It's actually safer to have a midwife-hospital birth than a doctor-hospital birth, but the majority of infant deaths from both are due to birth defects. The majority of infant deaths from home births are due to brain damage/lack of oxygen because of labor complications. It's not hard to see that planned home births and birthing center births come with the expectation that everything is going to be awesome. When it's not, there are egos involved, both the midwife's and the parents. 

Birth statistics

• Love 3

Hey guys good news my computer is fixed earlier than I expected and I'm back! 

(My friend with the surgery is having it later in the week). 

But I'm excited to see @MyPeopleAreNordic is here. Thank goodness you're hanging in there! You are strong! Sending good thoughts and prayers! I don't read over at the Teen Mom forum; I'm getting nordic people news and  my teen mom news here in the Counting On forum! 

• Love 7

I am having surgery in a couple of weeks and need some soft, flowy dresses that will be comfortable and easy to put on/off. A brief search on Amazon came up with  tshirt/swing dresses with a modesty panel (lace type thing) attached. What???  This isn’t a Duggar only thing???  I would attach a link, but I am inept.  

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, HooHooHoo said:

I am having surgery in a couple of weeks and need some soft, flowy dresses that will be comfortable and easy to put on/off. A brief search on Amazon came up with  tshirt/swing dresses with a modesty panel (lace type thing) attached. What???  This isn’t a Duggar only thing???  I would attach a link, but I am inept.  

i just ordered a cute one from blair catalog....also you can look for the (in)famous lularoe carly (i think) dresses  - they fit very loose. i have several but not because of any surgery - just because i am fat! 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, HooHooHoo said:

Try Pyramidcollection.com - they also have a catalog - I like the fact that they have "goddess" sizes and things are super comfy.  I am also drooling over their winter boot/shoe collection, but that's just me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

i just ordered a cute one from blair catalog....also you can look for the (in)famous lularoe carly (i think) dresses  - they fit very loose. i have several but not because of any surgery - just because i am fat! 

Check out Shop National.  They have several styles.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Check out Shop National.  They have several styles.

Last summer, I ordered several loose, cotton muumuu style dresses from Blair.  I really only wear them at home.  They are great for hot days.

Actually, I got them from Old Pueblo Traders. I wore them all last summer and they still look new for this summer.  They are loose, sleeveless frumpers and you could put a tee shirt under them for spring or fall.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, HooHooHoo said:

https://www.womanwithin.com/products/cold-shoulder-a-line-dress/1029063.html?#dwvar_1029063_color=0560&cgid=WW_Casual_Dresses&start=5

for plus size ladies

Or this very comfy

https://www.womanwithin.com/products/print-sleeveless-lounger-by-dreams-and-co./1010686.html?#cgid=WW_Sleep&dwvar_1010686_color=1198&start=2

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Try Pyramidcollection.com - they also have a catalog - I like the fact that they have "goddess" sizes and things are super comfy.  I am also drooling over their winter boot/shoe collection, but that's just me.

CURSES Dragonfaerie!  I found entirely too many pairs of boots I want!  At least 5 pairs.  I am a boot junkie and man they have some really cute ones.  

• Love 1
On 6/9/2018 at 1:18 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

(I also posted this in the Teen Mom small talk threads as I also hang out there a lot. Apologies if you’re seeing it more than once.)

Buddies! I’m sorry I’ve been gone for so long! I’ve missed y’all! Thank you so much for all the love & thoughts! I’m sorry that I wasn’t here for a while to tell y’all I’m okay! 

It’s been a month since my  oophorectomy & hysterectomy. The recovery hasn’t been quite as easy as I hoped - one of my incisions on my stomach split open a week post-op & was infected (but is now much better). I saw my doctor this past week & my internal incision (at the top of my vagina) isn’t healing as quickly as it should. She thinks this is because I was severely anemic for months prior, so my internal areas are taking longer to heal. I have to continue to rest & still can’t lift my toddlers. But I can drive, so yay for that. I’ve been much more tired than I expected in the weeks after surgery, even too tired to really follow TM drama....but each day I feel stronger. 

While my doctor did the surgery because of my ovaries, the pathology on my uterus showed pre-cancerous cells (even though a previous uterine biopsy came back normal), adenomyosis (which is essentially endometriosis inside the uterus; it probably caused my severe anemia), & my uterus was slightly enlarged. I‘m so thankful for my doctors who told me what I was experiencing was not normal & took my family history of ovarian & endometrial cancer seriously. They saved my life. Because they were proactive, they got it all and took out my uterus with pre-cancerous cells (& that had caused my anemia). I don’t have to have chemo or radiation or anything - YAY! I do have to see the hematologist-oncologist again in a few months for a check-up, though.

I can’t find the words to express how thankful & overwhelmed with love I am for everything ya’ll have done for my family & me. Thank you, friends & family, for the well wishes, love, support, donations, & messages. I’m sorry for not individually thanking everyone, but please know that I am so very thankful to all of ya’ll here. 

Thank you all again. I am so lucky for so many reasons - many of those reasons are YA’LL.  

I’m sorry if this was random gibberish - I hope it makes some sense. I’m really at a loss for words for how thankful and lucky I am. 

So glad to see you back!  I am relieved that you are ok and on the mend!

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, HooHooHoo said:

I'm not sure if you're a QVC fan, but Carole Hochman makes cute lounge dresses that are super comfortable and flowy. I have one in a nice floral print. They're also easy to care for, you just toss them right in the washer and tumble dry on low.

http://www.qvc.com/Carole-Hochman-Petite-Elysian-Floral-Rayon-Spandex-Lounge-Dress-Set.product.A302177.html?sc=PSCH

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1