Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve noticed that some of y’all are keeping good wishes for @Arwen Evenstar. Could someone tell me what page number to go to or please just give me an idea of why/what’s going on? 

I can't give you a page number, but I can tell you that ArwenEvenstar is battling ovarian cancer. She told us a number of weeks ago that she was about to start a new chemo regimen and would not be posting here for a while. We haven't heard from her in a long time.

• Love 5
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

I can't give you a page number, but I can tell you that ArwenEvenstar is battling ovarian cancer. She told us a number of weeks ago that she was about to start a new chemo regimen and would not be posting here for a while. We haven't heard from her in a long time.

I finally found her commenting on it on page 274..many, many posts ago.

And after skimming through all those posts, I'd  like to ask how

@Rabbittron 's son is doing, also.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

On my phone, Laurel. When they did it on the news, Yanny. They explained why, but it was technical cheap about how things are set. I zoned out. ?

Hmmm..well my husband and I were listening on the same device at the same time and both heard different words.

Same for my daughter and granddaughter (they're in Florida, not here with us)  Weird?

• Love 1

I'm having good thoughts for all of you going thru health issues right now....it sucks.  Even if I don't comment a lot I do read.  I thought 2018 was going to be the turn of something better, but we all seem to be stuck in goofy gear.  Maybe it's getting older too.  

I don't know about any of you all, but I'm distracting myself this weekend with some Royal Wedding and some Deadpool.  And a turkey bacon club sammich.     

• Love 9

It has to do with what you hear better. High tones (Yanny) or low tones (Laurel). 

Thank you for filling me in about our missing poster Arwen. I shall add her to the list. The rest of you please take care of yourselves and be well. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Hmmm..well my husband and I were listening on the same device at the same time and both heard different words.

Same for my daughter and granddaughter (they're in Florida, not here with us)  Weird?

I never hear a full "Yanny", but have heard "Yarry" and "Larry" a few times as well a couple of indeterminate things between that and "Laurel", but after a few repetitions it always settles down to a firm, authoritative "Laurel" and doesn't budge. Weird.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I never hear a full "Yanny", but have heard "Yarry" and "Larry" a few times as well a couple of indeterminate things between that and "Laurel", but after a few repetitions it always settles down to a firm, authoritative "Laurel" and doesn't budge. Weird.

Yeah, I heard Yarry most of the time. And then after three I gave up and didn't care any more and figured this is why people mishear lyrics in songs. I am terrible for that.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

BoyTron listened to it for a while and he insisted the only thing he heard was Larry.

• Love 3

My son and I listened at the same time. I distinctly heard Laurel and he distinctly heard Yanny. We listened several times with the same results. Interestingly, he has always had hypersensitive hearing. He can hear dog whistles and has always been sensitive to high frequency sounds.

I read an article that said that people who hear at a higher frequency will hear Yanny while those who hear at a lower frequency or are older (like me) are more likely to hear Laurel. My son and I definitely fit that pattern. 

• Love 3

Sending out good thoughts and {{{HUGS}}} to everyone having health problems and for our family members and friends who also have been dealing with health and other problems.

I hear Laurel when I listen.

15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I want to say Arwen was going for chemo at the end of February. It's been a long since since her last incisive, snarky post. 

I hope she is doing well. 

3 hours ago, EVS said:

My son and I listened at the same time. I distinctly heard Laurel and he distinctly heard Yanny. We listened several times with the same results. Interestingly, he has always had hypersensitive hearing. He can hear dog whistles and has always been sensitive to high frequency sounds.

I read an article that said that people who hear at a higher frequency will hear Yanny while those who hear at a lower frequency or are older (like me) are more likely to hear Laurel. My son and I definitely fit that pattern. 

Yesterday I heard it on a talk radio station and it sounded like a woman with a high pitched voice quickly saying yammy or yanny. Some hosts thought it was yanny, others laurel. Today, same station played it and it sounded like a man slower and lower pitched voice clearly saying laurel. 

I think this is all a joke on us. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, EVS said:

I read that article too which confuses me because I wear hearing aids because I miss the higher frequencies.  I tried it with and without hearing aids and hear Yanny.  Go figure.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It has to do with what you hear better. High tones (Yanny) or low tones (Laurel). 

Thank you for filling me in about our missing poster Arwen. I shall add her to the list. The rest of you please take care of yourselves and be well. 

I hear Yanny and Mr. Natalie heard Laurel.  I just cannot hear anything but Yanny!

Good luck Barb23! You are in my thoughts!  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I hope she is doing well. 

Yesterday I heard it on a talk radio station and it sounded like a woman with a high pitched voice quickly saying yammy or yanny. Some hosts thought it was yanny, others laurel. Today, same station played it and it sounded like a man slower and lower pitched voice clearly saying laurel. 

I think this is all a joke on us. 

I first heard it on NPR and I distinctly heard Laurel.  When I play it here on that short video clip,. I heard yanny.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Hello everyone I've been here just posting a few things now and then . BoyTron is doing good also I'm dreading next Wednesday because it's the last day of school pray for me?

I am glad to here from you and very happy   your son is doing good.  Hope things continue  to improve . 

• Love 1

I have no idea what you guys are talking about - but I can imagine MrFatChick not hearing either voice.  (He has both selective hearing and selective amnesia.  Pretty convenient for him, these ailments).  Can’t even say how many hundred times all the eyes in the room roll toward him because he tunes in halfway through a convo and says “what happened?”

I’m getting worried about our @Arwen Evenstar and @MyPeopleAreNordic.  Sending out healing vibes for all the “head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes...” up for surgery.  

As for hot flashes, that subject inspires a story!!!

My bestie (who is not, thankfully, my mentor...) has a terrible time with hot flashes.  Terrible.  She’s been having 10 or more a day for about 14 years.  The other day, another friend recommended a new product for her to try.  Bestie buys it and sends me a pic of product.  The pic has bestie holding the package in front of her steering wheel.    Clearly shows part of her dashboard and steering wheel along with her own hand holding the box.

i copied the pic and drew a pair of crossed fingers on it, sent it back to her.

about an hour later, she texts me “oh wow! I just bought that same product today!!”

yyyyyep.  Birds of a feather...

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Mr. Dance and I both listened to the iPad at the exact same time. I hear Yanny and he hears Laurel.

Here is a NY Times website that lets you hear both on a sliding scale.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

Not much help...At the bottom (left hand) side of the scale I hear Laurel. Around the middle, I still hear Laurel, but it starts sounding a bit tinny. All the way to the right it's completely tinny and sounds something like "Yelly". No trace of Yanny no matter how many times I listen. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Not much help...At the bottom (left hand) side of the scale I hear Laurel. Around the middle, I still hear Laurel, but it starts sounding a bit tinny. All the way to the right it's completely tinny and sounds something like "Yelly". No trace of Yanny no matter how many times I listen. 

My guess is if you had your hearing tested, you’d be missing some frequencies. I know I am. Plus, I always have tinnitus. So I wonder if that’s why I have to slide it almost all the way over before I finally hear Laurel.

I find this, and the dress color controversy from last year completely fascinating, and wonder if what I see and hear is even close to what my friends and relatives do. It all is very whooo whooo to me.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Love2dance said:

My guess is if you had your hearing tested, you’d be missing some frequencies. I know I am. Plus, I always have tinnitus. So I wonder if that’s why I have to slide it almost all the way over before I finally hear Laurel.

I find this, and the dress color controversy from last year completely fascinating, and wonder if what I see and hear is even close to what my friends and relatives do. It all is very whooo whooo to me.

Yeah, I suspect that my hearing is not the greatest. Hearing loss seems to sort of run in my dad's side of the family. By the time he died at 85, he had only about 20% of his hearing, and I know that for many years now it's been a bit difficult for me to hear what someone is saying when there is any level of background noise.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I know that for many years now it's been a bit difficult for me to hear what someone is saying when there is any level of background noise.

That’s beginning to happen to me and I’ve done what I could to protect my hearing. I wear ear plugs to the movies, avoid loud music or venues. I’ve been tested that I can hear an ant fart but when there’s background noise all bets are off. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yeah, I suspect that my hearing is not the greatest. Hearing loss seems to sort of run in my dad's side of the family. By the time he died at 85, he had only about 20% of his hearing, and I know that for many years now it's been a bit difficult for me to hear what someone is saying when there is any level of background noise.

When it’s time, Jynnan, I can tell you that hearing aids have improved enormously the last few years, in both comfort and sound quality. I absolutely love mine. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about - but I can imagine MrFatChick not hearing either voice.  (He has both selective hearing and selective amnesia.  Pretty convenient for him, these ailments).  Can’t even say how many hundred times all the eyes in the room roll toward him because he tunes in halfway through a convo and says “what happened?”

I’m getting worried about our @Arwen Evenstar and @MyPeopleAreNordic.  Sending out healing vibes for all the “head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes...” up for surgery.  

As for hot flashes, that subject inspires a story!!!

My bestie (who is not, thankfully, my mentor...) has a terrible time with hot flashes.  Terrible.  She’s been having 10 or more a day for about 14 years.  The other day, another friend recommended a new product for her to try.  Bestie buys it and sends me a pic of product.  The pic has bestie holding the package in front of her steering wheel.    Clearly shows part of her dashboard and steering wheel along with her own hand holding the box.

i copied the pic and drew a pair of crossed fingers on it, sent it back to her.

about an hour later, she texts me “oh wow! I just bought that same product today!!”

yyyyyep.  Birds of a feather...

Just wanted to share something about hot flashes that I heard from a friend. She said that if hormone reasons are ruled out, check for anxiety or thyroid imbalance. They can mimic the other kind.

I'm very curious about the hearing aids. My dad definitely has issues, but, when he got tested, they said he was fine!  We were shocked to say the least. 

And, I'm also curious about my mother who often asks me to repeat things I say while in the same room with her, but, she can hear a car door shut at the church parking lot that is easily a quarter mile from the house!  How is that possible?  

• Love 4

@SunnyBeBe, if your parents are living life just fine without hearing aids, I’d say don’t bother.  (Although I’m only speaking as an observer, not a wearer.  I know several of us squished here together in the closet wear them and can address it better).  My dad HATED the aids because it equaled out all noise for him.  Paper crinkling comes in at the same volume as the radio, and he found those noises - I assume white noises  - irritating.  My mom had Alzheimer’s (AND hearing aids)... but could never find them, or when found, couldn’t be convinced she needed them.  Some of the funniest dang conversations I ever heard in my LIFE were those 2 sans hearing aids.

• Love 8

My internet friends in a Duggar snark group on FB know. ?

IRL? Only my husband (NEVER hubby) knows, although I have discussed the Duggars in passing with a couple friends, especially during the Joshgate scandals.

• Love 5
On 5/16/2018 at 7:55 PM, Mindthinkr said:

This makes sense to me. I hear Yanny, but I haven't been wearing my hearing aids and I don't hear low tone very well. Guess I'll put some batteries in the stupid things and try again.

I wear my hearing aids when I'm going to be working with other people or I can't hear anything they say. I generally take them off at home because I don't like having them in my ears. My first set went behind the ear with a silicone earpiece, but my hearing deteriorated to the point where I had to get the other kind. 

• Love 2

I'll chip in here. I've had hearing aids for a year or so. Started having more or less annual hearing tests (by an audiologist at my HMO) nearly 10 years ago. Lots of hearing loss among my older relatives. I'm glad I got tested, and I learned a lot from the first audiologist. I was told then, that I had some loss in some frequencies but really didn't need hearing aids quite yet. I was "borderline" for a few more years as to whether I needed hearing aids. Finally last year my tests showed enough loss that I was in the range of "recommended" for hearing aids.

One thing I learned at my firs hearing test (and I'm probably not saying this with great accuracy), is that it's better to get hearing aids "early", meaning not wait until your hearing's gotten definitely bad. That's why so many people hate their hearing aids and aren't helped by them. The problem is not just that you're no longer hearing certain sounds/frequencies, it's also that your brain hasn't processed those sounds lately. And when you suddenly start hearing them again, your brain has to learn how to process them again. Plus, you may need some adjustments to the hearing aids early on. And some people just don't deal well with that period of adjustment, get frustrated and give up.

That said, hearing aid technology has advanced by leaps and bounds just in the last few years. My hearing aids are from Costco (seriously, they have hearing centers with licensed and salaried audiologists who do NOT work on commission) and they are tiny little marvels of technology. I'm sure I could have gone another year or more without them, but watching what some of my older relatives went through, I set aside a hearing aid fund a long time ago. And once I learned that it's best not to wait too long, I decided to give my brain a break and not put it through too much readjustment to processing sounds because I'd waited too long. 

There are different styles and types of hearing aids, and I'd beware of anyone who claims that type X is right for you, unless they are a licensed audiologist who has examined you. Anyway, I'm not an expert, just someone who's paid attention to the subject out of self interest.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

How many of you post on the Duggar sight on the down low? Meaning no friends or family even know about it.

I hover mostly, but I’m a huge fan of Jinger.  (Since she escaped...). My hopes are sky high.  I realize all of my vicarious dreams hinge on Jeremy being a good husband for her, but I swell with pride like a grandma for her because she’s OUT!!!   I’m talking:  I was as pleased as when Jaycee Dugard was found.  As for posting... I’m only there for the punchlines, and if I don’t visit for a couple weeks I’m sure to LOL more than once catching up.  I guess I am on the DL; nobody knows but y’all.  Unless it’s over the top funny, like the “cousin eddy” post a couple weeks back.   And when I was screaming over ma’guuurl wearing pants.  After I found that out and THEN Jill got a nose ring, I had to breathe in and out of a paper bag for a minute!  I pretty much ran around my local Walmart telling people about the nose ring.  I still don’t read the other streams about the other kids, I rarely go there.  (I have no idea where Jill is, or what Derrick does for a job - but I know she got her nose pierced!!).  And honestly, I only come to this forum for the closet.  You guys have the biggest hearts, best shoulders, and sweetest replies.  When I do refer to this to my family, I say offhand like “you know, that blog I post on sometimes...”

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

How many of you post on the Duggar site on the down low? Meaning no friends or family even know about it.

I don't let the people in my life know about my posting,  but if I explained to my mother and older brother about my fascination with religious cults they would understand.   I got into studying religious cults after a multiple murder where I lived.  This was an offshoot of the Mormon church where a whole family was murdered along with a few other people.  The barn where the bodies were buried was on a somewhat busy road near a park and on the way to the cemetery where my grandparents are buried.   We would drive by the barn pretty regularly and talk about it.  The last time I was in the Cleveland area we went to the cemetery and drove by the site.  Someone now has a house where the barn stood.   Pretty creepy. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I'll chip in here. I've had hearing aids for a year or so. Started having more or less annual hearing tests (by an audiologist at my HMO) nearly 10 years ago. Lots of hearing loss among my older relatives. I'm glad I got tested, and I learned a lot from the first audiologist. I was told then, that I had some loss in some frequencies but really didn't need hearing aids quite yet. I was "borderline" for a few more years as to whether I needed hearing aids. Finally last year my tests showed enough loss that I was in the range of "recommended" for hearing aids.

One thing I learned at my firs hearing test (and I'm probably not saying this with great accuracy), is that it's better to get hearing aids "early", meaning not wait until your hearing's gotten definitely bad. That's why so many people hate their hearing aids and aren't helped by them. The problem is not just that you're no longer hearing certain sounds/frequencies, it's also that your brain hasn't processed those sounds lately. And when you suddenly start hearing them again, your brain has to learn how to process them again. Plus, you may need some adjustments to the hearing aids early on. And some people just don't deal well with that period of adjustment, get frustrated and give up.

That said, hearing aid technology has advanced by leaps and bounds just in the last few years. My hearing aids are from Costco (seriously, they have hearing centers with licensed and salaried audiologists who do NOT work on commission) and they are tiny little marvels of technology. I'm sure I could have gone another year or more without them, but watching what some of my older relatives went through, I set aside a hearing aid fund a long time ago. And once I learned that it's best not to wait too long, I decided to give my brain a break and not put it through too much readjustment to processing sounds because I'd waited too long. 

There are different styles and types of hearing aids, and I'd beware of anyone who claims that type X is right for you, unless they are a licensed audiologist who has examined you. Anyway, I'm not an expert, just someone who's paid attention to the subject out of self interest.

Totally agree with everything you said. Including Costco brand hearing aids which are made by resound. At least the ones I wear are. I had another pair of a different brand which lost their effectiveness on my type of hearing loss.  I went to an independent audiologist who didn’t sell anything. He recommended the Costco ones. Went to Costco with my hearing test results and they retested me on their equipment and got same results. He told me to wear them all the time because otherwise my brain would forget to hear. I go to Costco periodically for adjustments. I didn’t think I had significant hearing loss either until I got the aids. I was missing a lot! Mine go behind my ear with a little part in my ear. I had to take the silicone cones off because my ear canals are very small. It will never be normal hearing but much better than without. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

How many of you post on the Duggar site on the down low? Meaning no friends or family even know about it.

My husband and kids know about my Duggar obsession.  They know that I have a little hobby.  (smile)

No one else does.  They wouldn't understand the fun! 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Marigold said:

My husband and kids know about my Duggar obsession.  They know that I have a little hobby.  (smile)

No one else does.  They wouldn't understand the fun! 

It's also funny to see many regular posters from here on other boards I read.

Here's something I've found myself doing lately.

If a new show starts up, or I suddenly become aware of it for some reason,

I won't really commit to watching it until I check and make sure it has an active forum for it here first.  It's no fun to watch if nobody else is. ? 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

One thing I learned at my firs hearing test (and I'm probably not saying this with great accuracy), is that it's better to get hearing aids "early", meaning not wait until your hearing's gotten definitely bad. That's why so many people hate their hearing aids and aren't helped by them. The problem is not just that you're no longer hearing certain sounds/frequencies, it's also that your brain hasn't processed those sounds lately. And when you suddenly start hearing them again, your brain has to learn how to process them again.

Amen! There are trees all around my place and they're filled with birds. Damn near scared the hell out of me the first morning I had hearing aids because I'd never heard them before and all the sudden it sounded like a remake of Hitchcock's "The Birds" was being filmed on my block. The other issue I have is that I have no idea where an unknown sound is coming from. Unless I have already identified it, like the doorbell or the dishwasher, it's just another noise in a house filled with random noises that I didn't hear for who knows how long. I was first identified with a significant hearing loss at 15 and didn't get hearing aids until I was almost 45.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I’m on the down low. I want to keep my options open in case I want to complain about them. ?

Like Superfatchick, this is my favorite thread in the forum, but I do read them all and often “like” or sometimes comment on others.

And I am on a few other forums, but not many. Mr. Dance knows I am on a few TV blogs, but has no idea about the details, and doesn’t care.

• Love 4

I used to follow blogs about the Sister Wives closely, and that led to an interest into fundamental Mormonism. Then I started reading a blog about the Duggars. Like someone else said, I think my interest, at least initially, was in fundamental religion. Ever since I found this site about a year and a half ago, I check it daily, sometimes more often. Sometimes I get frustrated there isn’t more activity (which is absurd on my end) and I look over at FJ, but for some reason I can’t get into it. I pretty much gave up Facebook, and I pretty much gave up gossip and reality tv, so this Duggar forum fills those voids.

The husband knows, and I have mentioned in passing to friends that I read a Duggar blog to relax before bedtime. I need to stop mentioning it because they look at me like I am crazy.

• Love 7