Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E01: We’re Back!/S33.E02: It Can’t Be That Easy

Message added by Whimsy,

As a reminder, we have a no preview rule talk rule for TAR. You can view the rule here.

• Start Topic

I don’t know why I thought it was so cute when Caro said “have a blessed day” to her Fern, but I did.  Ray needs to not talk to her like a complete asshole, though.

The football coach (Sam, apparently) sounds exactly like Judd from “9-1-1 Lone Star” and I keep thinking he’s him.  And Anthony looks very much like Aaron Hicks from the Yankees.

Kim and Penn - no.  Taylor and Isaiah - yes.

Cayla hugs a pedestrian and I was like “oh no don’t do that” and then I remembered oh yeah, pre-COVID.

I believe that really was Boris Johnson and don’t find it at all odd he was wearing a bicycle helmet indoors.

If hitting a bullseye is something I would HAVE to do to move on, we would never leave that bar.

• LOL 10
  • Love 7

Oh man, how I missed this show. And just when I think it's getting it's grove back we will see how Covid changed even this. I'm happy they finished the season and it's back. This has been my favorite show since the first season.  It isn't like all the other shows and truly is about how well you and your partner race and communicate with each other. It also has had some bad luck with taxis, etc., and that's what makes it unpredictable compared to other shows. 

I'm so happy to see Phil and my show back.

• Love 21

I liked all of the teams out of the gate, but by the middle of the first episode I just wanted both Akbar and Sam off the screen.  They were just bumbling around, with Sheridan and Connie sort of dragging along behind them, getting yelled at for no reason.  I don't want an entire season of that.  I'm hoping they either get eliminated fast or turn that shit around.  And I really liked Akbar's background story, that's the type of person I want to see winning TAR, so I was so disappointed as soon as he started harping on Sheridan. 

I posted this in the live thread, the imbalance between the Digiben and Banksy challenges was really glaring.  Three teams completed the Digiben challenge before even one team finished the Banksy challenge, and that team, Kim & Penn, didn't make any big errors or get lost or anything.  The Banksy judge was ridiculously picky with how close the papers had to be.  While one of the Bobbies gave himself away to Sam.  grrrr.   There ended up being a 15-20 minute time difference between the first 3 Digiben teams and Kim & Penn, and that's a lifetime in the Race. 

Anyways, I'm just so glad to have TAR back on my screen.  I like seeing Phil connect with the "older" racers. 

• Love 21

Man, I am sad this season got interrupted by COVID because I felt like this episode was MILES better than most anything we saw last season. This felt to me more like old school TAR, even in terms of the pacing and editing. I didn’t love how they all started at home (no start line??) and there was no mad rush to the airport and jockeying for flights, but I’ll let it go because I mainly enjoyed the rest of it.

I'll be interested to see what happens in the 're-start' episodes, given what we know about the changes that were made.

Joining the rest of you in shaking my head over some racers not knowing 'bobby' and 'nosh' and who Boris Johnson is.  And I really couldn't tell if that one team (Kim and Penn maybe) actually thought they were meeting him and the Queen. They seemed actually awestruck, but it could've been an act.

Good cast so far, but the flight attendants seem like they'll be on my nerves before too long.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 12

I'm glad TAR is back. And I know that the show's producers can learn from past mistakes . . . unlike Jeff Probst, who throws in two dozen twists in Survivor and makes the show all about exciting him. If Phil has an ego, it ain't that big. And while the pandemic was probably certified Kryptonite for a series that films around the world, I'm confident that the end product will past muster.

I'm thinking more than half of the cast were recruited. Two of the teams have perhaps the most hardcore backstories. Anthony & Spencer stopped a terrorist attack, got acclaimed, and then Clint Eastwood directed a movie based on the events AND he got the guys involved to play themselves. Ryan spent ten years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. That's . . . shit, man. Other than maybe Ron from TAR7 (an actual prisoner of war), has anyone been remotely where he was?

I'm good with the cast as a whole, though I get how some of them bug. Lulu and Lala finished tenth in both legs, but were spared elimination. The couple from Love Island were tolerable . . . though Ray's yellow and black sweater immediately made me think of Giordi LaForge from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Watching Akbar badger Sheridan (Sheri?), I wondered if he was a distant relation of Frank Mesa from the very first TAR.

Tasks were okay, though I would've wanted them to get away from London. Cake-making Detour was especially devious, since some of the flags presented for designs were not from the EU . . . including the British flag. On the other hand, I think the "Master Chef" took it easy on the Racers when it came to judging. After Ray and Penn burnt their brain cells during the Roadblock, I'm thinking he got a call to let them pass if they had the right flags . . . even they were the same two flags.

I'm hoping for the best. I know that I practically radiate negativity (especially on the Media thread), but I think TAR can pull out a decent season, even if it was filmed in different parts of two years.

• Love 14

I'm rooting for Ryan and Dusty, but I'm biased, because I followed Ryan Ferguson's story for years on Dateline, 20/20, etc. Also I'm from Missouri so his story is well known in my parts. A tragic victim of corrupt police and a corrupt prosecutor. I'm glad to see him making up for the time he lost.

I'm disappointed there are so many social media pseudo-celebs and obvious recruits, but I'm afraid that's par for the course these days. And it's too bad because I really didn't dislike the Love Island couple except for the fact that they were on a show like Love Island.

I'm also really disappointed and perplexed by this show's insistence on casting interchangeable twins or otherwise look-alikes you can't tell apart with names like Lulu and Lala. We get one of these teams every season and I don't understand why. 

I didn't hate anyone but I wouldn't be sorry to see Akbar and Sheri or the aforementioned Lulu and Lala get Philiminated. Also, Connie and Sam seem nice enough but wow, they don't seem too bright. I'm giving the Bobby a side eye for clueing them into who he was. 

It sure will be interesting to see how this season pans out post-Covid break. 

• Love 16
15 hours ago, mertensia said:

How do you not know what a bobby is?

I would still be there trying to get a bullseye.

I like that both Arjun and Sam calmly helped Natalia and Connie throw darts better. No screaming. No yelling. No blaming.

That little mail rail train is adorable. I need a tunnel and that train.

I’m 57 and just assumed everyone knew what a bobby is? I either learned in school or from tv. Also, I just assumed everyone knew what Buckingham Palace and Big/Little Ben were , too. That said, I can’t drive stick. Of course, I’ve never tried it either. LOL!!!! I’m glad the race is back. No matter in what form. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 10

I thought it was interesting that right at the end, Sheri said from now on they would slow down and be more careful, and Akbar (?) standing behind her keeping his mouth shut. She had said they'd go slow and careful in the beginning and he steamrolled over her.

I have mixed feelings about Ryan Ferguson being on the show. What happened to him was certainly horrible, but there have been so many Black men wrongfully imprisoned, and I can't help wondering if the show had ever reached out to any of them who had been released.

• Love 17

In the live chat thread, iMonrey asked about Anthony and Spencer's friend.  I tried to respond, but the chat was closed.  

His name is Alex Skarlatos.  While his friends were racing, Alex ran for Congress in my political district and lost to Representative Peter Defazio.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

So great to have the race back. I don't like social-media teams but the rest were okay. The bobby should not have told the married couple who he was. And the cake guy was definitely harder on some teams than on others. 

I, too, was wondering "Do they think that's the real queen?" but considering how clueless some of these teams are, maybe they *do* think that they're important enough that the queen would want to participate. 

As someone upthread mentioned, the discrepancy between the art and the subway tasks was so great! And then because the art one was a puzzle that wasn't disclosed, I think that's why some teams thought that the mail train task should have some extra complication. When no one came back to re-do it, those two guys should have gotten a clue that it was as simple as it looked. 

eta: the camera teams' work was AMAZING. That husband ranting about how his wife kept stopping, when RIGHT behind her was the bobby handing out a clue -- priceless. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
props to the camera teams
  • Love 18

I’m so glad the show is back and am very curious to see how Covid changes it. The teams will be in uncharted territory and have the rare opportunity to study and learn mid-race. Many people had an abundance of time during quarantine. Smart teams should use that to their advantage and work on any weakness the first three legs exposed. 

4 hours ago, Shermie said:

We were trying to figure out when this was filmed. Based on the lack of leaves on the trees and it was pre-Covid, I’m assuming February/March 2020. 

They started filming February 22, 2020 and shut down production on the 28th. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Cayla hugs a pedestrian and I was like “oh no don’t do that” and then I remembered oh yeah, pre-COVID.

Pre-Covid or not, I have always felt that the competitors should be prohibited from hugging anyone except fellow racers. Not only is it often obnoxious and an invasion of personal space, but it is often culturally insensitive/inappropriate.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Good cast so far, but the flight attendants seem like they'll be on my nerves before too long.

They were on mine before the end of their first appearance.  As were Sheri's untethered boobs.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I’m 57 and just assumed everyone knew what a bobby is? I either learned in school or from tv. Also, I just assumed everyone knew what Buckingham Palace and Big/Little Ben were , too. That said, I can’t drive stick. Of course, I’ve never tried it either. LOL!!!! I’m glad he race is back. No matter in what form. 

I imagine if you found out you might be on The Amazing Race you'd probably learn.  I'd certainly take a few swimming lessons as I can barely manage the doggy paddle.

Anyway, like everyone else, just glad it's back.

PS:  Just when I was was allowing myself to be happy that almost everyone pronounced Buckingham correctly, Phil spoiled it with Glaz-gow (rhymes with cow).

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

The detours in both hours were unbalanced.  Looked like the people who did the darts finished much quicker than the cake decorators, just like the Bens detour went faster than the art thing.

Even a couple of the racers had to learn to throw darts and they improved.

Black couple didn't bicker in the day leg in London but they didn't have to go on foot that much so have to see if they will argue the next time they're stressed.

The taxis threatened to put people in last place, may have done in the Twins who got to the mail rail place the last.

So if the racers stopped in March 2020 and didn't go back until summer/fall of 2021, they had to have gone back home right?  For their jobs, their families?

They can log what they did, look at the things they did right and wrong.  So when the race resumes, maybe they improve?  Or too long a stretch and they've been busy, including dealing with the pandemic.  They all came back but maybe the race no longer seemed as important to some.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I too was astonished that so many of them had no idea what a bobby was. That one guy (no idea what anyone's name is) thought it was the bobby's name. He was practically yelling "Yo Bobbbyyy, where you at?" 

Edited by GaT
  • LOL 11
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

but I think the prize for biggest "derp!" moment was the two guys who spent an extra 30 minutes looking for the clue after they already found the clue, because they decided it was too easy to find the clue and didn't trust the other guy who told them it was the clue.  

That was super funny.  Unless there's a rule I don't know about that says the teams have to be together, why not just open the clue and check right there? 

And as someone upthread said, they watched the woman find hers in seconds without opening any boxes, yet that didn't register.

• Love 5

Hmm.  Never thought this show could sink lower than last season, but it appears convicted today do so.  Everything has been dumbed down to the point of tedium and one team is dumber than the next.  Too many of them couldn’t grasp the basics.  The palace is directly down the road from trafalgar and there are signs indicating this all over the place.  

The clue can’t be the clue!?

the roadblocks and detours were embarrassing.  Run here and then there and then there.  What?  And these morons had difficulty with that!  The cake detour was excellent- except every team could see what the other was doing and merely copied.  

I know this is in the eu!

which country?

I don’t know but I have it on my jacket!  Fucking hell.  This is the level we’re going to get?

I am a huge fan of the show and hopes this gets better, but it seems clear this is going to be The Amazing Race:  Idiot Edition.  Blech.

Edited by BarneySays
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, susannot said:

I think it is understandable that they are confused about Brexit.  To this day we are still confused about Brexit.

Especially since, at time of filming, Brexit had only become official just 3+ weeks previously. It was actually pretty sly of production to throw UK in as a decoy that soon after the split.

• Love 22
5 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Man, I am sad this season got interrupted by COVID because I felt like this episode was MILES better than most anything we saw last season. This felt to me more like old school TAR, even in terms of the pacing and editing. I didn’t love how they all started at home (no start line??) and there was no mad rush to the airport and jockeying for flights, but I’ll let it go because I mainly enjoyed the rest of it..

I think they all flew to London and then started the race together. They came around the corner to the taxis in a huge group. No way 4 flights got into London & everyone got through customs at the same exact time. No idea why they just didn’t show us them starting.  Also the distances for circling around the globe is going to be different for those who started west coast vs east coast. 

• Love 7

What a fun and frantic start!  And we got two hours!  And in one of my favorite cities in the world!  Woo hoo!

Watching Penn and Ray overthink the mail task was painful.  I wonder if that was what the producers wanted, racers thinking they had to open all the letters/packages?  Having the needle in the haystack just laying there in clear sight did seem too easy, but once they saw that racers who just took the clue didn't have to return they should have realized it was correct.

How did so many of these people not know what a bobby is?  Or who Boris Johnson is?

The cake task turned out to be easier but more time consuming.  It sounded intimidating until it was obvious the best choices were two flags with just stripes.

I'm sorry the singing cops were eliminated over the bickering twins.  

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I believe that really was Boris Johnson

Ha!  It could have been!

8 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I hope Sheri buys a really good support bra before the next episode. All the bouncy boobs looked painful.

I said the same thing.  Ouch.

7 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

And I really couldn't tell if that one team (Kim and Penn maybe) actually thought they were meeting him and the Queen. They seemed actually awestruck, but it could've been an act.

They are performers so I'm sure they were going along with the joke.

7 hours ago, Shadow Wave said:

"There's drippage, I can't have that" would have been a great episode title.

I cracked up at that.  Yet other teams had drippage and he let them slide.

2 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Also the distances for circling around the globe is going to be different for those who started west coast vs east coast.

I figured they had staggered start times to get everyone to London at the same time.  It was a different way to start.  I wonder why they did it this way.

• Love 12

Do people really not know what a bobby is? They need to watch more UK TV. There are some great shows.

Really weird seeing the flight attendants being so huggy with strangers. Pre pandemic really was a different time.

The night (evening) leg was pretty boring overall. Just a lot of running around. I'm a firm believer that if you do night legs, you should show some of the night life of the city. Maybe it was a bit early in the evening for that.

Never overthink on the amazing race. Once you have the clue, you go. But not surprising that my ADHD-bro did that. Could have been me.

The UK flag at the cake task was a bit mean, I think. The UK left the EU on January 31 2020 and this was filmed in February 2020. So not much time to hear about it. I guess on the other hand it might have been on the news right before. Also France and Germany are safe and easy picks, so maybe not as mean afterall. Norway isn't in the EU, I would have known that. But I guess easy mistake to make. With all the contracts Norway has going on with the EU, they might as well be in it.

Also the dart task seemed a bit imbalanced with the cake task, especially if you had teams who had thrown darts before. You could basically blaze through that in two minutes.

I was wondering the whole time why they didn't show more pit stop talk. Should have known that it was a "keep racing", especially since the amazing bath mat wasn't there.

I'm a bit sad that the husbands are consistently at the back of the pack. I always love rooting for my fellow gays, but I guess I can't complain with the overall gay track record on the race.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 5

I think the cast for this season is great. The first episode was good, as it was nice getting to know everyone and was interesting. I don't really like the home starts though. I think the TAR starting line is a sacred place that must be preserved! 

The second episode was pretty boring though and unnecessary. Makes you wonder if they were already scrambling with replacement legs and evolving the route right after leaving, because the tasks of darts/cakes/mail was pretty dull. And this was right after season 32 which had a new country every leg besides the 'mega leg'. London has been done too much at this point, so 2 legs felt like overkill. 

That said, it's great to have the show back and I love the cast.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Zonk said:

The UK left the EU on January 31 2020 and this was filmed in February 2020. 

Wasn’t the official vote for Brexit like two years ago?  I thought England was out of the EU for a long time.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Shermie said:

We were trying to figure out when this was filmed. Based on the lack of leaves on the trees and it was pre-Covid, I’m assuming February/March 2020. 

Late February 2020.

10 hours ago, chaifan said:

Three teams completed the Digiben challenge before even one team finished the Banksy challenge, and that team

Yeah two really imbalanced detours on this double episode. I guess the second isn't as bad, since it's a keep racing and Phil said "they had a train to catch", which basically means a bunch is coming up.

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

On the other hand, I think the "Master Chef" took it easy on the Racers when it came to judging.

Yeah especially after he criticised the drippage of one of the first cakes. But that team had to redo one of the cakes anyway, so no time lost for them. I mean we all know the judges don't actually judge, it's people behind the camera giving them signs and I guess production noted how everybody blazed through the dart-task and thus lowered the difficulty on the cakes.

8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’m 57 and just assumed everyone knew what a bobby is? I either learned in school or from tv. Also, I just assumed everyone knew what Buckingham Palace and Big/Little Ben were , too. That said, I can’t drive stick.

I actually didn't know little Ben but I can drive stick. Not sure if I can drive automatic though, never tried. :D

The major mistake all the racers made was not just asking people on the street. Why would you run around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of just asking one simple question?

5 hours ago, PaperTree said:

That was super funny.  Unless there's a rule I don't know about that says the teams have to be together, why not just open the clue and check right there? 

That rule does indeed exist. They can only open the clue together. Has been the case since TAR 1.

5 hours ago, BarneySays said:

The cake detour was excellent- except every team could see what the other was doing and merely copied.  

Yeah that you could copy other teams seemed unfair to me. Part of the challange was supposed to figure out the right countries. But I guess it's an early leg. There they aren't as big on making the challanges super difficult.

30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wasn’t the official vote for Brexit like two years ago?  I thought England was out of the EU for a long time.

Referendum was June 23 2016. But the UK only left the EU January 31 2020.

Exit talks took a very long time and at the end the agreement was still shit since the UK wanted to keep all the benefits of being in the EU, but none of the obligations. Naturally the EU said "fuck you" to that and that is how we got the shitshow we got, with the UK now struggling to fill their supermarket shelves and the North Ireland question still not solved.

Also yes, January 2020 was like two years ago, if that is what you are asking. 😁

Edited by Zonk
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Pretty sure there is indeed an official rule that clues can't be opened unless both teammates are together.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I love this show and I love London, so I was super happy watching this.

However...I do believe that a few of the teams really did think that was the Queen and Boris Johnson.  And, as they seemingly believed that-I couldn't believe that some hugged and kissed (Penn) the "Queen."  Even before covid it bothered me how many racers would just hug the locales with whom they interacted.  No.  Just no.  While there are cultural norms, there are also personal norms.  I have never been a hugger, but it seems as those who are huggers (and announce themselves to be so) feel that their desire to hug overrides the preferences of non-huggers.  

After just watching and noticing a few things I wonder if Spencer suffered any head/brain trauma while trying to stop the terrorist.  He mentioned taking hits to his head by the gun butt as well as the cuts (which he showed at the beginning).  Just wondering.  Very interesting that they received French citizenship for their actions (and if they go to France I wonder if there would be any advantage for them [speculation only]).

The flight attendants bother me-especially when they showed great pride in NEVER watching/ paying attention to the news.  

I was sorry to see the two cops eliminated as they seemed really appreciative to be there.

But, above everything else...it's back!!!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Or who Boris Johnson is?

I'll give them a break on that because he became more familiar once COVID started - we always saw him on TV. Before then? Well, he was on for Brexit but not as much.

2 hours ago, Zonk said:

The major mistake all the racers made was not just asking people on the street. Why would you run around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of just asking one simple question?

In a country where people speak English no less!

I really liked the map showing where they were running to and from.

2 hours ago, AncientNewbie said:

I'm just so happy TAR is back and felt delightfully old school that I'm not going to snark on it. Much. 

Same!

2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I know that lots of people are complaining about "internet personalities".  To me, there is a huge difference between what Penn & Kim do and the fake instagram "influencers".  It's the influencers who fake every tiny bit of their lives that I can't stand.  I'm ok with people who put up videos to help people through a tough time by making them laugh, telling them it's ok to have ADHD, marital troubles, etc.  I'm not saying everyone needs to agree with me, but to me there's a huge difference. 

What amazes me is that I think I'm really online, up on the Twitter trends, YouTube, etc, and I never know who these people are. Also I couldn't see how that family would make much money, and I have no idea on the YT guys either. But neither were annoying so...

I smiled so much during those two hours - I was so happy to see TAR back and see London. I thought the flight attendants boasting about how much they knew how to travel and then mangling London things was hilarious too. I can give some of them a break for bobbie (although c'mon now) but nosh? How do you not know nosh?

Edited by ML89
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Anyone over the age of 21 should know what a bobby is. It’s sorta the law. LOL!!!!

Awkward Dodge GIF by Tinashe

Oops. Didn't know was a thing I needed to know. Also, I don't really follow a lot of customs, etc from other countries. Not really a concern of mine nor am I a heavy traveler.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Zonk said:

Also yes, January 2020 was like two years ago, if that is what you are asking. 😁

Ahahahahahaha time is meaningless.  But I meant two years before this was filmed, heh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Kim and Penn are recapping episodes on their youtube channel, but this video is on their facebook page.  It was released before the episode last night, so no spoilers in it, but Penn does talk about the clue in the mail bin, about 5 minutes in. 

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoldernessfamily/videos/1140870193318311

It has 384k view, so I think TAR knew what they were doing by casting this team.  They say here (and have said previously) that they are true TAR fans, that this has been on their bucket list for 20 years.  So, if they were stunt casted, I'm ok with that because they're really fans. 

I am also of the opinion that they absolutely knew that wasn't the queen, but were playing along for the fun of it.  They are definitely smart enough to know the Queen wouldn't be sitting there in a diner for a reality tv show! 

2 hours ago, Zonk said:

Yeah especially after he criticised the drippage of one of the first cakes. But that team had to redo one of the cakes anyway, so no time lost for them. I mean we all know the judges don't actually judge, it's people behind the camera giving them signs and I guess production noted how everybody blazed through the dart-task and thus lowered the difficulty on the cakes.

I highly highly doubt there were any production shenanigans on the cake judging.  First, I think that's against reality show rules, aka actual laws against fixing results.  Second, I also saw drippage on other cakes, but it wasn't as bad, and also lighter colors.  If production is truly "judging" then it's really possible they didn't see it, or it simply wasn't as bad as the blueberry drippage. 

• Love 14

So far no one but Akbar and the pink twins are getting on my nerves.  Penn took an awful fall onto pavement for an "older" guy.

Why show two episodes at once?  They may have this season filmed but it'll be a while before another season can take place.  Stretch this season out as long as possible.

HBO ran the movie about the train attack yesterday afternoon and I watched it.  So when TAR started and they were cruising through the teams, I recognized the two of them.

• Love 6

The two guys weren't there when she found her clue so fast, that was the guy who showed them his clue, but they were there (pretty sure) when she got back to her teammate (the guys were waiting for the train so they could go) and she LOUDLY announced 'I found it in 10 seconds!'

• Love 4

Happy the show is back.  I am curious about why they had teams leave from their homes to London, as opposed to having them all start in one city here in the U.S. and then get to London.  There were four flights - L.A., Chicago, New York, and one in the southeast that I couldn't make out, probably Atlanta.  There's no way all four landed at the same time to enable all teams to rush out of the airport at the same time.  It was obvious that everyone had to wait until everyone arrived in London.  So I'm not sure why they did it this way.  Phil had talked in an interview about how the alliance from the previous season was not intended nor a good thing... so why would they group teams into four flights.  It seems like a long 6+ hour flight with only one or two other teams would be a perfect place to make an alliance for the whole season since they hadn't met any other teams yet.

I am a bit disappointed that so many of these teams were clearly recruited.  It seems like some producer saw somebody's video (older married couple, gay couple's wedding dance, etc) or knew of them (Paris train guys, Love Island couple) and reached out to them asking if they want to be on the Race.  I miss the days when people could actually send in a video (on VHS tape!) and try to get on.

The older married couple annoys me the most.  Well, mostly just him.  I can't stand "internet personalities" in the first place, and these people lost me when they said "we realised we could make money selling our videos".  I was surprised to learn he is only 47... he easily looks 55.  And his personality is the worst.  The one guy tried to help him at the mail station by telling him exactly what to look for, and he automatically assumed the worst of the guy and assumed he was trying to trick him.  Ass.  I cackled when the woman was talking about how they are middle aged but still feel and act young or something like that and that was immediately followed by a shot of him tripping on the pavement and falling down.  Hah.

The twin sisters annoy me too.  I really don't care if the one got dumped right before the race, and then she cried about it because her failing at the cake reminded her of how he said she would fail, and then the other one yelling at her for crying, and then crying about the other one crying and not validating each other's crying about the crying.... whatever.  STFU already.  I can't believe the show wasted several minutes of precious airtime about this stupid crying over getting dumped.  I figured it was a non-elimination or TBC because they looked way too happy in their confessional, obviously post-leg, interview.  And that the first team didn't get a prize.

10 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

In the live chat thread, iMonrey asked about Anthony and Spencer's friend.  I tried to respond, but the chat was closed.  

His name is Alex Skarlatos.  While his friends were racing, Alex ran for Congress in my political district and lost to Representative Peter Defazio.  

I remember that guy from Dancing With the Stars.  He finished like third basically clomping around all over the place and getting votes because of his "hero" story.  At the time I remember thinking "his two friends must be wondering when their shot is".

10 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I'm already annoyed by the flight attendants.  They talk about how worldly they are and then they know...nothing.  I mean, I don't know a lot either, but I don't go around saying how smart I am and then...not being smart.  

I think it's the pretty one that I find more annoying.  The homelier one I think is the one that said she knew about Brexit but wasn't sure if it had actually happened yet.  Which I agree, with all the "will they or won't they" about Brexit, to me it would have been confusing at that exact time whether the withdrawal had actually happened yet or not.

8 hours ago, aghst said:

So if the racers stopped in March 2020 and didn't go back until summer/fall of 2021, they had to have gone back home right?  For their jobs, their families?

They can log what they did, look at the things they did right and wrong.  So when the race resumes, maybe they improve?  Or too long a stretch and they've been busy, including dealing with the pandemic.  They all came back but maybe the race no longer seemed as important to some.

I would assume that the race was suspended at a pit stop... and then when it resumes, the start times are preserved.  For sure they can think about things differently.  I'm particularly interested to see if Akbar learns to treat his wife better.  And with an 18 month gap, maybe she and others used that time to improve their fitness?

2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I watch a lot of British TV and movies, etc.  I also have heard the term "Bobby" in reference to police, but it's not really that super common anymore, tbh.  At least, not in the stuff I watch.  I don't think I would've connected the term to a policeman either, in the moment.

I too assumed everyone knew what a bobby is... not sure where I learned it but I would think that anyone who read books like Paddington or Sherlock Holmes or any other book set in England would probably have come across the term at one point or another.  I was surprised at how many people didn't know it.  And yes, why wouldn't people just ask a local if the clue says to find "the bobby" and they don't know what it is.

• Love 9