Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: The Wild and Woolly World of Nonlinear Dynamics

• Start Topic

Just now, anna0852 said:

Uh oh.

My sentiments exactly. Curse cliffhangers!

I did love Georgie bringing Mary soup (even though he didn’t make it properly lol) and I did love that Sheldon was able to be there for Missy despite that rocky start.

Cant wait for next season.

• Love 18

Uh-oh, indeed.

I guess that answers the question of which twin is older.  

Poor Georgie.  I've inadvertently walked in on fighting couples like that, and it is extraordinarily awkward -- even when the couple in question is not your parents.  And poor Missy, but good on Sheldon for finally actually being there for her.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I did love Georgie bringing Mary soup (even though he didn’t make it properly lol) and I did love that Sheldon was able to be there for Missy despite that rocky start.

That was sweet. Georgie has his moments but he's a good kid. At least the toast looked edible.

• Love 10
(edited)

So is this where Mary and George start to implode?   Brenda coming in and alone herself is the perfect excuse for George to have an affair.  

I did like all the pool metaphors.   Sheldon trying to be a good brother to Missy was interesting.   Missy being upset about the breakup and those dramatic songs.  I remember those days.   George trying to help and then Mary coming in and railroading him.  I understand why he was upset.   I don't think Mary and George have been on the same page in a long time. 

And I think Mary always does take Sheldon's side.  That is kinda the problem.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don't think Mary and George have been on the same page in a long time. 

And I think Mary always does take Sheldon's side.  That is kinda the problem.

Mary and Sheldon share a lot of personality traits and none of them good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And poor Missy, but good on Sheldon for finally actually being there for her.

Since MeeMaw basically told Sheldon that he was obligated to look after her, he had no other choice but to watch over her (at least in his mind he didn't!)  

2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

George trying to help and then Mary coming in and railroading him.  I understand why he was upset.   

Peg pretty much confirmed how controlling Mary can be.  It didn't make sense though that Mary didn't at least ask Missy what was wrong.  It was obvious that she was in distress.  

Okay, I'm going to look at this show as if I've never watched TBBT.  Watching it through that lens, all I can say about tonight's episode is, damn, that was depressing.

I think that Chuck Lorre had 2 choices when he created YS.  First, he could create a show that sticks very closely with a storyline that was foretold and would probably make most of TBBT fans happy.  Or, he could create a show that varies a bit from an established storyline hoping to endear a whole new audience to Sheldon and his family.   I think that the last 3 episodes (at least) have been depressing to me.  If I had never watched TBBT, I would've already removed this show from my DVR.  I didn't like this episode (except for Georgie and MeeMaw).   I know that comedies sometimes have some sad or depressing moments, but this?  Now I feel angry having watched it! That's not how comedies are supposed to make us feel!!  Ugh!  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Uh oh.

Exactly what I said, out loud to no one!

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Missy being upset about the breakup and those dramatic songs.  I remember those days. 

I shared a room with my sister.  If I came home and heard "Can't Live" by Harry Nilsson playing, I knew it was time to go somewhere, anywhere, else for a several hours!

I thought it was sweet the way George tried, in a dad sort of way, to talk to Missy. And I liked that he turned the song back on before he left her room.

• Love 18
(edited)
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

So is this where Mary and George start to implode?   Brenda coming in and alone herself is the perfect excuse for George to have an affair.  

My wife has been hinting to me about this theory (George Sr. and Brenda) literally for weeks. I was disagreeing with her every time. We were sitting quietly watching that last scene.  Brenda no sooner saunters over to the pool table, (and before any dialog) and I blurt out "Geez, you nailed it" !!!!!! 

Score:  Missus 1   Knowitall 0 

Edited by aqusdealer
  • LOL 15
  • Love 7

Damn, I really don't want George to have an affair with Brenda Sparks but that looks like where the show is heading. 

Georgie is a sweet kid. I liked him making soup of Mary and bringing it to her. 

I also liked how Sheldon and Missy were able to make up. It's that twin connection. 

• Love 12

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. 

2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Mary and Sheldon share a lot of personality traits and none of them good.

You are correct and I feel kind of dumb because I didn't realize that until this episode. When she talked about doing the sermon on Sunday and saying "we'll play it by ear," I thought "that is so Sheldon." (except with Sheldon it would be a lecture) Maybe that's why she doesn't see may of Sheldon's worst qualities; it's because she has them too and isn't self-aware enough to realize they are issues. 

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Since MeeMaw basically told Sheldon that he was obligated to look after her, he had no other choice but to watch over her (at least in his mind he didn't!)  

It's kind of like the origin of the hot beverage when someone is experiencing emotional distress. Sheldon wouldn't know what to do with someone with an emotional problem, but after Dr. Sturgis told him to offer someone tea, coffee, or some other hot beverage, it became his go to move. Sheldon wouldn't know he has an obligation to protect/watch out his twin sister, as the older brother but once someone he trusts tells him he has one, he is duty bound to fulfill that obligation. I actually wished we could have spent more time with Missy and Sheldon. It was great to see them open up to each other. I hope we get to see more of that, even thought I knew it would take something extereme for that to happen again. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Aw, come on, George and Brenda! Don’t do that to Mary! Your husband sleeping with a friend and neighbor? That’s like being cheated on twice, by both the husband and friend. That’s just extra horrible!

That said, I liked this episode, especially Sheldon with both Connie and Missy. Also liked Georgie trying to do something for Mary. At least no matter how crazy the things get for the family, Meemaw will be there and the three kids will have each other.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

They're going to have to move this show from the "comedy" forum category.

I have thought that same thing during several shows this season.  It really does not feel much like a comedy anymore.  I do sort of like the show, but it has changed from when I originally started watching.  It was so much lighter and fun and could be full of laughs.  Now it might make me chuckle a little bit now and then, but overall I find it rather depressing.  It has changed so much and makes me sad to see what is happening to this family.  Not much joy or fun in watching anymore.  

• Love 9

Well, that was a sad episode.  Looks like things are going dark.  Unless they patch things up real quick in the first episode next season, and then go back to lighthearted zaniness.  Which would be kind of odd, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Georgie making the soup was thoughtful.  Inept, but thoughtful.

George and Brenda, yikes it looks like they're really going to go there.  Maybe.  If they do this, it's good how they set up that George was unhappy.  People do dumb things when they're depressed.  Just like Missy ripping up Sheldon's picture.

• Love 10

The best sitcoms do occasionally deal with serious topics. And this one was inevitable, but maybe with more sympathy for George than we might have been led to believe. And less for Mary. Again, this never was a match made in heaven.

LOL. In fairness, "condensed soup" cans aren't explicit about that not being the soup's intended condition. Adding water before heating is in the fine print.

Sheldon is nothing if not responsible. Once his duty is spelled out to him, it becomes unquestioningly ingrained. His personality could have been greatly improved all along if correct behavior had been explained to him in those terms.

So far, I don't see any conflicts with the TBBT story line. It's all a very plausible stand-alone prequel, with more depth and less silliness. That said, it could use another episode with Broadway show tunes right about now.

• Love 13
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

The best sitcoms do occasionally deal with serious topics. And this one was inevitable, but maybe with more sympathy for George than we might have been led to believe. And less for Mary. Again, this never was a match made in heaven.

I agree.  I have faith that the writers of this show are skillful enough to make everything that happens plausible, believable, and not quite as dark as anticipated from the looks of this finale.  Maybe after a night of drinking and being seen with this woman Mary might get wind of it and believe something happened that didn't actually happen.  Or the next morning George himself will believe something happened that didn't happen and won't remember what actually happened because he was drunk.  There are many ways the writers can sanitize this so as not to go to the dark place it looks like it's going in this episode.  The writers can make George look like he was manipulated and he might actually not be guilty of adultery at all.  But it may really look that way to Mary nonetheless if she finds out about it, which would be regrettable, but that would still be more sympathetic to George than the alternative.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 6
(edited)

IF the "kids" are gonna screw up (and around) next season, may it mercifully be done offscreen. In the meantime,

Geezer Bus

Knock Knock

Geezer Bus

Knock Knock

Geezer Bus

Knock Knock

Edited by MollyMelrose
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I know that comedies sometimes have some sad or depressing moments, but this?  Now I feel angry having watched it! That's not how comedies are supposed to make us feel!!  Ugh!  

After reading all the comments I deleted the unwatched episode from my DVR and might be done with this series now.  I understand they are remaining true to TBBT but I’m just not interested.  I’m happy to be in the Internet Age where I can find out in advance and spare myself the anger/upset!

• Love 5

I know the George Sr. back story from TBBT, but for the past season+, I've been hoping he faked his death, Georgie & Missy know, and only Mary & Sheldon think he's dead.  Mary & Sheldon have been insufferable across both shows (though the actors' performances impeccable).  Really, the only reason I keep watching this show is for Annie Potts.  

• Love 9

These past few episodes left me feeling sorry for George.  Mary said on several occasions how she has to handle everything, without ever giving George a chance to take care of whatever issue it may be.   At least she told Georgie that she was wrong.  I'm hoping that George and Brenda don't hook up and that he comes home and they work things out.  

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The writers can make George look like he was manipulated and he might actually not be guilty of adultery at all. 

Manipulated or not, if they have sex, it's adultery.  He needs to be thinking with his bigger head in this situation, if not, he can only blame himself for his actions.  

• Love 5
(edited)

The pool ball metaphor was excellently portrayed throughout with a truly "touching" ending. Whoever is responsible deserves a raise and is qualified to manage the Cooper family and their church.

Anyone else assume Missy's secret shed in the woods was also a call back to Annie Potts/Mary Elizabeth 'M.E.' Sims' box car where she and her best friend hung out when they were Missy and Sheldon's age?

10 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I shared a room with my sister.  If I came home and heard "Can't Live" by Harry Nilsson playing, I knew it was time to go somewhere, anywhere, else for a several hours!

You, @Nordly Beaumont, are a good sibling and roommate! (probably with at least one great parent or grandparent too)

9 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

My wife has been hinting to me about this theory (George Sr. and Brenda) literally for weeks. I was disagreeing with her every time. We were sitting quietly watching that last scene.  Brenda no sooner saunters over to the pool table, (and before any dialog) and I blurt out "Geez, you nailed it" !!!!!! 

Score:  Missus 1   Knowitall 0 

And you, @aqusdealer, are a great spouse!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Manipulated or not, if they have sex, it's adultery.  He needs to be thinking with his bigger head in this situation, if not, he can only blame himself for his actions.  

True but what I'm saying is that he might not actually have sex nor even want to have sex.  She may try to manipulate him into it and it might only look incriminating for him to someone looking in from the outside.  How many times on TV shows do characters get in trouble for things they didn't really do but it only looked that bad to someone that may have misinterpreted what they saw?  We already know that Billy Sparks' mother can be a bitch so you never know, she may actually want it to look bad plus anyone looking at it from the outside might make assumptions based on partial information that make George look far guiltier than he really is.  I just hope the writers go for that scenario rather than making George a full-on rat.

• Love 1

Ok, my tablet's hating on me and won't let me highlight what other people have said but here goes anyway:

-maybe it's a little ocd on my part but I like my prequels to follow the "real"   story so I don't mind that it's getting dark (my theory on how the show     should end is in the "tbbt vs ys" thread)

-I liked that it was the secretary (Peg?) that finally told Mary off. 

-like mother like son, it's obvious where Sheldon got some of his worst   traits

-I know they're more frenemies than friends but I was hoping that it   wouldn't be Brenda

-I'm also hoping that next season starts with a little time jump. Like we're   two months into the three month grounding the twins got for running   away and everyone's fed up with Sheldon pointing out he wasn't running away he was protecting Missy😂

• Love 6

Yes, this episode wasn't as "funny" as you'd expect a sitcom to be, but I was riveted anyway.  Watching the drama play out (the billiard balls was a really nice touch!) and kind of knowing where the plot was going had me on the edge of my seat.  It was more involving than most dramas that I've seen on TV recently.

I like all the characters on the show (glad to see the Reverend back this week!) so I feel bad for each of them.  YS has been renewed for 3 more seasons, and I think the producers have probably roughly planned out the next 75 or so episodes.  I think we'll get some really funny episodes, some fairly dramatic episodes, and everything in between.   I'm ready to join the Coopers on their journey.

• Love 18
58 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

True but what I'm saying is that he might not actually have sex nor even want to have sex.  She may try to manipulate him into it and it might only look incriminating for him to someone looking in from the outside.  How many times on TV shows do characters get in trouble for things they didn't really do but it only looked that bad to someone that may have misinterpreted what they saw?  We already know that Billy Sparks' mother can be a bitch so you never know, she may actually want it to look bad plus anyone looking at it from the outside might make assumptions based on partial information that make George look far guiltier than he really is.  I just hope the writers go for that scenario rather than making George a full-on rat.

That would be a scenario that actually would made me quit the show. Painting him as the victim of a manipulative woman would make me want to throw things at my tv. 

10 hours ago, Driad said:

I have not seen Scooby Doo.  What did Sheldon mean -- just don't go to an isolated cabin at night?

Scooby Doo was a cartoon in the 80s that was basically a child's introduction to horror or scary things. The teens were always investigating creepy cabins or abandoned houses or really anything kind of spooky. There was always a monster or werewolf or vampire but ultimately was a person in disguise. So he was warning her about how monsters may be at abandoned buildings/cabins/etc. 

• Love 4

Per The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon's three knock ritual comes from accidentally walking in on his father in bed with another woman, so I do believe that George will engage in an affair with Brenda because this is a fundamental part of grownup Sheldon Cooper. George is unhappy, his life isn't what he wanted, his wife and him are arguing more and more, and he is spending his time at the local bar drowning his sorrows. It is a recipe for disaster missing one ingredient - a willing partner. That is where Brenda fits in.

Yes, Mary should have stopped to ask what happened, but I don't think that is a complete parenting failure. Missy is sad and upset but that still does not give her the right to purposely destroy Sheldon's property, especially something that means so much to him. Fair or not, they share a room and Sheldon should be able to hang up his picture without fear of it being destroyed by his upset sister. But Mary should have also asked her why she did it and maybe explained why it was wrong of her to tear the picture. Yes, she does favor Sheldon and Missy was right to call her out on that but that does not excuse Missy's actions. I was happy to see the twins bonding at the end of the episode.

To me, Young Sheldon is a lot like Mom, a sitcom that isn't afraid to delve into the sadder and more upsetting parts of life. The bad times only help the good times feel much more deserved but that is just my opinion.

• Love 12

Pretty good finale yet so awkward with Mary and George arguing. So many of my shows lately have some majorly awkward moments it seems

George clearly has issues he's tamping down and his and Mary's history, both past and future, kind of makes for dark undercurrents in this supposedly comedic show. Though I shouldn't really complain as I enjoyed the now-completed Mom with its very dark moments. I think the show just resonates worse with its dark moments because there are children involved

1 minute ago, cmahorror said:

George is unhappy, his life isn't what he wanted,

I don't fully recall the backstory, but wasn't George teaching college football and a scandal forced him out?

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

But Mary should have also asked her why she did it and maybe explained why it was wrong of her to tear the picture.

As she has done several times, Mary comes home and immediately tells George that he's not handling things correctly.  She then proceeds to tell him that she'll handle the situation.  She didn't bother to stop and ask him what the hell was going on.  She then neglected to get both sides of the story from Missy & Sheldon.  The whole thing was a disaster waiting to happen.  

I'm hoping that this show will carve their own path (as a BBT fan, I don't mind), and maybe George and Mary will reconcile in the next couple of episodes and let the show get back to it's funny self.  

• Love 6

With show renewed for 3 more seasons, I think it's too soon for George to do what adult Sheldon told us he did.  I think this was just a fake out for a season finale cliffhanger.  

Am I the only one who thinks Missy has turned into a brat?  She used to be the funny one, but now she's obnoxious.  When she told George "I am not a child."  I wanted him to say "You most certainly are!"

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

"Can't Live" by Harry Nilsson

I am always there for Nilsson! But I could see it being a perfect "this is how I feel" song after a breakup. 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

Painting him as the victim of a manipulative woman would make me want to throw things at my tv. 

But it would be pretty consistent with the Chuck Lorre oeuvre

58 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Am I the only one who thinks Missy has turned into a brat?  

I think she's turned into a hormone-addled teenager. Drama all the time is pretty consistent with that. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

But it would be pretty consistent with the Chuck Lorre oeuvre

Lorre is a producer but he’s not the creative force behind the show. Molaro makes some questionable choice but I don’t think he would make George the victim of a manipulative woman as a bailout. 

1 hour ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Am I the only one who thinks Missy has turned into a brat?  She used to be the funny one, but now she's obnoxious.  When she told George "I am not a child."  I wanted him to say "You most certainly are!"

She’s just consistent with a hormonal preteen who has very little support. 
To me, Mary and George both completely botched the situation. George mishandled Sheldon and Mary mishandled Missy.