I know it is wrong to judge a series before it airs, but I am dissapointed about some of the aspects of the new CNN series on First Ladies. It's hard to believe that Nancy Reagan is the only Post World War II Republican First Lady interesting enough to be the subject of an episode. There are six episodes, and she is the only Republican First Lady. (There are episodes on Michelle Obama, Jackie Kennedy, Nancy Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt, Lady Bird Johnson, and Hillary Rodham Clinton). I think going with the old A&E Biography approach is kind of a boring way to approach the topic. If CNN insisted on this approach, I would have swapped out Lady Bird Johnson for Betty Ford.
If I had been in charge, I would have done the 6 episodes thematically. This would allow them to include a larger number of First Ladies. Each episode would deal with a different topic. Here are some ideas:
1. Wives and Mothers (The First Lady as wife and mother)
2. Diplomats (How First Ladies used thier role to help further international relations)
3. Issues and Activism (the different causes First Ladies chose to support)
4. Personal Challenges (things in thier personal life they had to overcome/deal with)
5. The Media (How the First Ladies dealt with/handled/interacted with the media)
6. Post-Presidency (What they did after thier husband left office)