Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

Re the Friends reunion: I didn't watch because I don't subscribe to HBO Max, but a recap of it in Esquire said that the main cast has only been in the same room once since the show ended in 2003. There was some mention of Matthew Perry having a dental procedure, which may have caused his slurring, but I'm boggled at the whole not seeing each other for that long. Lisa Kudrow claimed that they stay in touch, but Perry replied that he never hears from any of them. Seems odd given what a cultural thing the show became.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Re the Friends reunion: I didn't watch because I don't subscribe to HBO Max, but a recap of it in Esquire said that the main cast has only been in the same room once since the show ended in 2003. There was some mention of Matthew Perry having a dental procedure, which may have caused his slurring, but I'm boggled at the whole not seeing each other for that long. Lisa Kudrow claimed that they stay in touch, but Perry replied that he never hears from any of them. Seems odd given what a cultural thing the show became.

I believe it’s only the second time they’ve been all together as a group. They get together in smaller groups. Based on their social media Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow spend a lot of time together.

I haven’t watched it yet but Perry saying he never hears from them sounds like joke. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

No I think it says they've been together twice. 

I think part of the reason they didn't get together that often was for awhile David didn't live in LA.

Lisa/Jennifer/Courtney are close and are often together. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7PVJgihRHl/

Matthew Perry and Lisa are apparently also close.

Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer I think aren't as close with the group but they're friends, just not every day friends.

Here's a picture of them all together:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3o8vWDhlOh/

The cast that actually can't stand each other is Sex and the City. Kim Cattrall is not on speaking terms with the rest of the cast, and the others get together for the money but they're not close.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

What's Cameo?

A hilarious website. I checked it out in the early days and lost my mind laughing. Once in a while I might watch the top ones posted to someone's page but that's rarer these days as it's less amusing. It's kind of like youtube but with actual celebrities. The energy people put out is so different. Some half ass it. Some chatter on and on. And some actually give you your money's worth. I'm a theater-y person so my examples are Susan Egan (who last I checked was rewriting the lyrics to the song she made famous for birthday requests) and Annalise van der Pol (this video is... a lot). I cannot believe anyone is worth hundreds of dollars but the bigger celebrities charge crazy prices. Inevitably I stumble into darkness or cringe and it's not fun anymore.

• Useful 7
(edited)
23 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Cameo is a video app where you can request celebs videotape birthday greetings for a fee.

That sounds fucking tedious. I wouldn't blame anyone for quitting that for any reason.

19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Tess Thompson coming out as bisexual during her relationship with Janae Monelle has to be one of the least surprising news I remember encountering. I guess it looks like things are over with Janae? Or, you know, love the one you're with an all that....

I looked it up, because my first thought was "I thought she was with Janelle Monae?" (which is her name, by the way), but apparently they've been on-again, off-again for ages.

Taika Waititi and Tessa Thompson both look like they could be members of my family, so that situation kind of gives me the willies.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

From what I read in the Friends forum, Perry said they don't always stay in touch regularly but when they do see each other they can talk all night. That sounds pretty normal to me for busy people with families and careers.

Edited by Evie
  • Love 23

Prince Harry Slept Through Phone Calls Alerting Prince Philip's Death

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... back on April 9, someone from the U.S. Embassy began calling Harry just before 3 AM to inform him his grandfather, Prince Philip, had died.

It's unclear if Harry's ringer was turned off or whether he and Meghan were just sound sleepers, but no one answered. After repeated attempts, the Embassy rep called the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Dept. and asked if an officer could go to Harry's Montecito estate to inform him the Embassy was urgently trying to reach him.

The Sheriff's Dept. obliged and an officer rolled up to the gates of Harry and Meghan's estate and made contact with someone who went and told Harry he needed to call the Embassy STAT, and that's how Harry was informed Prince Philip had died.

The U.S. Embassy called to tell him? Not the British Embassy? Does that seem strange to anyone else?

• Love 5

Geez! His brother couldn't even call him? I get that Liz just lost her husband and Charles lost his dad. But William or one of the cousins couldn't call?

That's cold.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, GaT said:

The U.S. Embassy called to tell him? Not the British Embassy? Does that seem strange to anyone else?

I mean, I'm just a humble peasant, but I am baffled by any situation in which any embassy calls to alert someone about a death in the family versus a family member doing it. (Excepting tragedies in which you get informed about it via law enforcement, but that obviously doesn't apply to Phil's situation.)

I know from family situations that the most directly bereaved aren't always up to making those calls, but my family usually mobilizes aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., for that to make sure everyone gets notified. 

• Love 13

Does it really matter who was calling if it was 3am and he wasn't answering his phone? I imagine they were trying to tell him as soon as possible (since for us peasants, this information is generally not broadcasted on the news) and maybe people in the UK were doing other things at 8am. It doesn't have to be a major slight. 

I don't care about any of these "news" stories but royals coverage gives us a small window into how weird the world of general celebrity is when they're not pretending to be "just like us."

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The way they related the story in that article is not the way TMZ explained it on their live show today. On the live show they said the Palace had been unsuccessfully trying to reach Harry by phone. They got worried that he would first hear about his grandfather's death on the news and they really didn't want that. (TMZ speculated the Palace was worried if that happened it would inflame things with Harry and Meghan even further.)

So, the Palace had the American embassy in UK contact local LA law enforcement to send someone to Harry's house. According to TMZ, all the police told Harry was to call the Palace for some critical news. They said the people who went to Harry's house hadn't been told what the news was except that it did not involve the Queen specifically.

The unspoken element on the show was that this is also how TMZ got tipped off that Philip had likely died. They get tipped off by the police all the time, such as Kobe's plane crash and Tiger's latest car crash.

How sad that they (and other relatives of high profile celebs and politicos) seem to have only literally moments of private grief (if that) before the rags start swooping like vultures. Celebs and politicos may have signed up for the whole package (and perhaps one could say that Her Majesty did as well when she got to be Queen), but their relatives sure didn't. 

Of course, this  also begs the question as to whether Peter Phillips or Zara Phillips Tindall (who I believe had had few if any conflicts with either of the Sussexes) reached out to the Duke of Sussex even if his more immediate family seems to be on strained terms at this time. 

IIRC, Patti Davis said that almost as soon as she drove to her newly deceased mother Nancy Reagan's home in 2016, the rags were there but she said she had long accepted that as a matter of course. How sad. 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The way they related the story in that article is not the way TMZ explained it on their live show today. On the live show they said the Palace had been unsuccessfully trying to reach Harry by phone. They got worried that he would first hear about his grandfather's death on the news and they really didn't want that. (TMZ speculated the Palace was worried if that happened it would inflame things with Harry and Meghan even further.)

So, the Palace had the American embassy in UK contact local LA law enforcement to send someone to Harry's house. According to TMZ, all the police told Harry was to call the Palace for some critical news. They said the people who went to Harry's house hadn't been told what the news was except that it did not involve the Queen specifically.

This at least makes more sense, thanks

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

They get tipped off by the police all the time, such as Kobe's plane crash and Tiger's latest car crash.

Knowledge that TMZ will pay for such tips goes beyond California.  They were the first to report Prince's death and Prince died in Minnesota.  I can't abide TMZ and Harvey Levin just as I never could abide the National Enquirer.  NE took pride in sneaking into funeral homes to snap famous people in death to splash on their front pages.  The latter behavior isn't limited to celebrities either.  Today many everyday citizens death photos are on the Internet due to law enforcement, paramedics, bystanders, etc,  uploading them there.  I won't even get into the sickening behavior of "posing" next to victims of crime.  Not that TMZ has sunk that low; still it's disgusting behavior all around.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Judge hear cases involving their former firms all the time; in most jurisdictions, the ban on hearing cases from your former firm (so there is no appearance of potential conflict) is only a couple of years after the the judge is appointed to the bench.  Ouderkirk was appointed to the bench decades ago. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Quof said:

Ouderkirk was appointed to the bench decades ago. 

He's a private judge. I guess that is what they called retired judges that still work sometimes.

In addition he is/has worked with Pitt's attorneys. How does a person go from working someone to hearing them in court and being impartial to back to working with them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The only thing I have to say about the Prince Harry news is how sad that this got "leaked."  Honestly the world does not need to know how someone got informed of their grandfather's passing.    

Of course the only way to stop this is to fire the LE involved.   Which we know will never happen.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, xfuse said:

In addition he is/has worked with Pitt's attorneys. How does a person go from working someone to hearing them in court and being impartial to back to working with them. 

Court hearing her complaint said he properly disclosed the working relationship earlier. I guess she should have complained then.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, GaT said:

In September of 2019, I was in Minnesota at a hotel for work.  One afternoon I found out my brother in Utah was in a hospital after been flown in my Life Flight. Status was unknown for hours. I woke up the next morning to a message from my sister telling me our brother had died. I forgot to turn off the do not disturb on my phone, which was awful. These things do happen.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 2

I think the  family was being kind by doing whatever it took to make sure Harry didn't hear about h I s grandpa on the news or from some random gossip site calling.

• Love 11

As Meghan Markle has worked as an actress and Prince Harry is now working in television and streaming, discussion of these two is on topic for this thread.  However, they should not be used as a jumping off point for discussion about the Royal Family in general.  Any royal-adjacent posts that do not focus on Harry and Meghan will be removed.

Also, please keep in mind Primetimer's Be Civil rule.  Rude or disrespectful behavior towards fellow posters and their views will is not tolerated.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I find it weird that Angelina is pushing so hard for no custody/contact for Brad Pitt. Unless the father is abusive, it's really hard to justify that a parent be cut off completely from the kids. 

More on the custody case.

I believe the only reason she has ever given was his pushing Maddox during a fight on an airplane. Her side intimated that Pitt hasa substance abuse problem. His side says he's undergone counseling for both issues.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I sometimes think she is delaying the custody resolution in hopes that most of her children will be adults by the time it’s over.  She changes lawyers and tries to replace the judge at the last minute; makes me go hmm, but maybe it’s just that Brad has the better PR team leaking info.  Feel sorry for the kids.

• Love 20

Angelina would have been better served if her people had told her to be quiet. As it is it shows lack of respect for her children's privacy. Brad has been very quiet about the whole thing.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, bobalina said:

Angelina would have been better served if her people had told her to be quiet. As it is it shows lack of respect for her children's privacy. Brad has been very quiet about the whole thing.

Not to mention, Miss Jolie herself has had her own issues that could possibly come back to bite her (which may not help maintain as full a  custody   as she desires). 

Since her eldest son Maddox  is the only one known to have had conflicts with Mr. Pitt and himself is now 19 and a legal adult (so never again has to deal with Mr. Pitt if he never wants to) , the authorities need to strictly  look at how Mr. Pitt and Miss Jolie have each interacted with and tended to their younger offspring down the years when making decisions. 

• Love 7

I’m also confused by the comment that she doesn’t feel the courts have done enough to make sure their children are cared for and protected. 

Wasn’t he investigated by two groups? Cleared by both of them.  Went to rehab and counseling. Kids went to counseling. I thought there was group counseling as well.  He started with monitored visitation that slowly evolved into joint custody based on the experts’ testimony.  What else is the court supposed to do?

Or does his crisis management team deserve a raise for making me believe that narrative? 

• Love 15

Angelina is a control freak.   Always has been.    She was done with Brad so the kids had to be done with Brad too.   Co-parenting is not her in vocabulary.   She has been trying to go scorched earth since day 1.  her whole goal with the kid collecting was to show her dad that you could be a good parent AND be an actor at the same time.   Having to coparent with Brad would interfere with that, because she would have to think of someone other than herself.

Even if abusive, parents get time with their kids.   It might be supervised by a professional (not the other parent who will run to the court every time she sees something she disagrees with) but the other parent gets their time.

A judge has heard both sides and decided Brad should get more parenting time.  Angelina has to live with that now.   Going back to the control freak thing - Angelina found out what a lot of narcissists (and in my experience a suprising number turn out to be abusive themselves)  find out is that in the courtroom they are not in control -- the judge is.   She COULD have settled with Brad and reached some shared decision over which they had control.   But she wanted full control over everything and left it to the judge -- convinced the judge would buy her earth mother image and give her everything she wanted.   Now she got a ruling she didn't like and is lashing out.    Because even if they get another judge, judges talk to each other -- she now has a rep around the courthouse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I’m also confused by the comment that she doesn’t feel the courts have done enough to make sure their children are cared for and protected.

I'm guessing that she meant that she wanted the three teenagers to be able to testify in court, give their opinions and have their say. The judge denied that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

I'm guessing that she meant that she wanted the three teenagers to be able to testify in court, give their opinions and have their say. The judge denied that. 

If that's the case I'd be angry about that too.  I don't know the ins and outs of the Jolie-Pitt marriage or break-up but just generally speaking I feel strongly that children, especially teenagers, have a right to be heard when it comes to questions about custody.  Not the final say but certainly to have their feelings taken into consideration.

• Love 11

"Judge Ouderkirk made his decision last week following hours of testimony from child services staffers, therapists and other professionals, all of whom had spoken to the Jolie-Pitt children."

Having children testify in court, to be cross-examined by lawyers, about their parents is never good for them. That's why they are interviewed by experts, who then give evidence as to what the children said.  

• Useful 13
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Not to mention, Miss Jolie herself has had her own issues that could possibly come back to bite her (which may not help maintain as full a  custody   as she desires).

I was about to say. Can you imagine if Billy Bob Thornton got pulled into this mess as a co-respondent or something?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I was about to say. Can you imagine if Billy Bob Thornton got pulled into this mess as a co-respondent or something?

And toss in Jonny Lee Miller for good measure.

• Love 5

That’s why I wonder if she has been strategically delaying matters.  I think they have only recently become old enough to testify under the Code she cites.  Maddox has already aged out of the discussion.  Reportedly she has already been warned about alienation.  Seems like a dangerous plan if I am right.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Having children testify in court, to be cross-examined by lawyers, about their parents is never good for them. That's why they are interviewed by experts, who then give evidence as to what the children said. 

They are 15. 16 and 17 years old. They have a right to be stand up and give their opinion.

It's not a criminal case and I doubt they would have been grilled but teenagers this age should have a voice and no I don't think that child services or therapists should speak for them. They are old enough to give their own opinion. It doesn't mean that the courts have to give them what they want they should have been heard.

These kids are old enough to go to a court system and get emancipated so why should they be allowed to talk about how much time they want to spend with their mother or father.

14 years old is the age for the court system

Edited by xfuse
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

If that's the case I'd be angry about that too.  I don't know the ins and outs of the Jolie-Pitt marriage or break-up but just generally speaking I feel strongly that children, especially teenagers, have a right to be heard when it comes to questions about custody.  Not the final say but certainly to have their feelings taken into consideration.

From what I've read, the teenagers do have a choice about how much time they'd like to spend with their father.  The custody decided in this case were about the three youngest children. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The custody decided in this case were about the three youngest children. 

I just checked the ages of the children and the youngest are a set of 12 yr old twins.  The others are all teenagers.  I think even at 12 that's old enough to be heard  - I know when I was 12 I probably had stronger opinions on some things then I do now!  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I think even at 12 that's old enough to be heard  - I know when I was 12 I probably had stronger opinions on some things then I do now!  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

So I'm spitballing here as I don't know the workings of most custody cases and not this one. 

Jolie wants her kids to testify.  We don't know if they want to testify.

And if the judge believes she's trying to drive a wedge between the kids and Pitt, I could see why he might take private interviews at more value than something they might say in court with both parents looking on.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And if the judge believes she's trying to drive a wedge between the kids and Pitt, I could see why he might take private interviews at more value than something they might say in court with both parents looking on.

From what I read she was ok was the joint custody. What she wasn't ok with was that the teenagers weren't allowed to testify. The judge didn't interview them. 

• Useful 5

Naomi Osaka fined $15,000 for Media Boycott

I remember when watching sports like gymnastics and figure skating feeling uncomfortable with athlete’s being interviewed when the competition was still underway. I always thought it could mess with their heads before they get to the final.  I don’t think an interview after the competition is over is necessarily bad but don’t like the press conference being mandated.  Why not let an athlete make an independent choice about interacting with the press?  This mostly bothers me with younger althetes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I'll give you one better and say that I believe that teenagers should definitely have a final say in where they live. It is their life.

Edited by JustHereForFood
spelling
  • Love 9
(edited)

If the children were speaking candidly that would be fine, but it’s not uncommon for the child/teen to say what they think a controlling parent wants them to say. In highly contested custody cases, parental alienation is common.  The child is made to believe the other parent is unkind, dangerous, or unfit.  Also, the child believes that if if they don’t side with one parent, that parent will be hurt or disappointed in them. So they side with one parent, even if it’s not genuine.  They say they don’t want to go stay with the other parent, to keep peace.  The other parent may be more understanding and not berate them.  That’s why I encouraged the judge to speak with the child in chambers with no parties or attorneys present.  Both sides have to consent.  That option has potential problems too, though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11