Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

Just now, Crs97 said:

Not a name I would choose, but maybe Lily as a nickname?  Congratulations to the family!

I'm pretty sure the announcement kind of indicates that she'll likely be referred to as Lily, as they had Lily in bracket, next to Lilibet. My guess she'll be like her father whose actual name is Henry but no one ever called him that. 

• Love 20
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Not a name I would choose, but maybe Lily as a nickname?  Congratulations to the family!

Lili with an i, according to the announcement. Which is the Welsh spelling, but I doubt they even realise that. The t of Lilibet kind of runs into the d of Diana, imo, but I daresay they won't be saying the whole thing in full all that often. Unless she's naughty!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, Blergh said:

While I think Miss Aniston seems a bit pretentious ( see Emirate Airline ads and the more recent elbow grease ads) and a bit 'meh,'  I agree that she deserves better than to have anything more to do with Mr. Pitt. Oh, and she doesn't seem to have the need  to be overwhelming  to all others around   her and in the eye of hurricane like Miss Jolie appears to have. IMO, being in  Miss Jolie's company   would be as relaxing as tap dancing in a mine field. 

Interesting. I’ve never got that impression about Jolie. She seems approachable, but perhaps not as vanilla as some people. Which I guess might be intimidating for some. But I’ve never got the impression that she’d be difficult to interact with.  But then again I don’t know her, so...who knows. People aren’t always who they seem to be.

15 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It's Lilibet Diana for Harry and Meghan's newest little one.

Lilibet Diana seems sort of ... too obvious? One being named after Elizabeth's nickname the other being Diana. Duh. But congrats to the parents!

I’m surprised by the first name. But it’s obvious that both absolutely adore the Queen. Most especially Harry. So I can see them wanting to go with something that honors her but is not as formal as Elizabeth. Diana as a middle name was an obvious choice.

I’m not a fan at all of the name. Didn’t really like Archie’s name either but who am I? Certainly not the parents. So no big deal. 

Glad  Meghan had a safe delivery and both are well and home. 

Congrats to the Duke and Duchess!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I love the nickname Lilibet!  A lovely way to pay tribute to the Queen.  Haters gonna hate so no matter what name they had chosen it would have been met with nastiness and derision so well done Harry and Meghan for just choosing the name that works best for your family!

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I love the nickname Lilibet!  A lovely way to pay tribute to the Queen.  Haters gonna hate so no matter what name they had chosen it would have been met with nastiness and derision so well done Harry and Meghan for just choosing the name that works best for your family!

I also love this tribute to Elizabeth as the person, Harry's beloved Gran.  Not Elizabeth the Queen.  It also pays homage to his great grandparents who bestowed the nickname on Elizabeth.  

I also cannot see Harry not getting Elizabeth's approval for this.  

• Love 19
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also love this tribute to Elizabeth as the person, Harry's beloved Gran.  Not Elizabeth the Queen

Yes with all the drama that has gone on in the House of Windsor this past year or so people tend to forget that Harry is very close to his grandmother and from all accounts she and Meghan got along extremely well.  The Queen may have been disappointed in the choices Harry and Meghan made but she and Philip both continued to 'meet' with Harry and Meghan (and Archie too of course) in the same way most extended families have been meeting in this time of lockdown and social distancing.  Not surprising at all that they are honouring the grandmother not the Her Majesty  🙂 .

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Cue the "Harry tries to reconcile with his family by name choice" comments.

Congrats to the Sussex on a healthy baby.

And the parallel stories, "Harry deepens the divide between him and his family with controversial name choice."

• Love 10
On 6/4/2021 at 11:39 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I remember being told by a retired, elderly lawyer in NC (back in the 1980's) that the KKK was created to protect wives & children on plantations when their husbands were traveling...in case the slaves started an uprising. This very genteel, old man told me this quite matter of factly. I was a guest in his home so I kept my big mouth shut. 

Did he read "Gone With The Wind"? Because that's precisely the bullshit way they were depicted in the book. There's conveniently no mention of how the Klan really acted--terrorizing and murdering freed slaves and their supporters for little to no reason.

2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have announced the birth of their daughter, Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor.

SQUEE! I'm so happy for them!

• Love 13
51 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

And the parallel stories, "Harry deepens the divide between him and his family with controversial name choice."

Yep. The poor guy can't do anything right by these jerks--if they do or don't name the baby after his grandmother, either way, they're disrespecting the Queen. Both the Cambridge and Royal Instagram posts are already full of comments to this effect--"How DARE they use Elizabeth's name after the heartless way they acted!"

• Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Somehow  I suspect both are true, even if unintended

Edited by bobalina
my tablet hates me.
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I think that's an old picture of Archie in Megan's arms since the bundle seems awfully big. Don't people usually cradle newborns?

I don't think William/Kate would release a picture of Lili before Harry/Megan do it themselves.

Yeah, that's Archie and Meghan is pregnant with Lili.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I think that's an old picture of Archie in Megan's arms since the bundle seems awfully big. Don't people usually cradle newborns?

I don't think William/Kate would release a picture of Lili before Harry/Megan do it themselves.

Well it's a nice picture and not one we've seen before right? I'm glad privately pics are still being exchanged between them.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Kate and William released this pic of Lili:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPyihcjFcLn/

9 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I think you're right, my first reaction was not good when I thought that Kate & Will had released a photo of the baby before her parents did, so I'm glad they didn't.

I wonder why they waited 2 days to announce the birth?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

I think you're right, my first reaction was not good when I thought that Kate & Will had released a photo of the baby before her parents did, so I'm glad they didn't.

What's the rush when you are no longer working royals.   Also, they are on another continent than his family.  Maybe there was a delay in making sure Harry broke the news to his Dad and Grandmother.  They announced early for California,  so they must have drafted the release yesterday. 

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

In England after the birth of each baby poor Kate had to make the ceremonial exit from the hospital (and god help her if she  actually dared to look like a woman who's just had a baby!) I wouldn't blame Harry and Meghan if they wanted to avoid any pictures of the trip to or from the hospital!

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
9 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

What's the rush when you are no longer working royals.   Also, they are on another continent than his family.  Maybe there was a delay in making sure Harry broke the news to his Dad and Grandmother.  They announced early for California,  so they must have drafted the release yesterday. 

They probably wanted to wait until Meghan and the baby were back home before announcing. The fact that this didn’t leak beforehand is pretty awesome. I think I read elsewhere that one of the British tabloids were claiming Meghan was going to be induced on Thursday, June 10th. They couldn’t have been more wrong. Why am I not shocked. 

• Love 18
14 minutes ago, Enero said:

I think I read elsewhere that one of the British tabloids were claiming Meghan was going to be induced on Thursday, June 10th. They couldn’t have been more wrong. Why am I not shocked. 

At that point, she would have been overdue, so the tabloid could have very well been correct. 

16 minutes ago, Enero said:

. I think I read elsewhere that one of the British tabloids were claiming Meghan was going to be induced on Thursday, June 10th. They couldn’t have been more wrong. Why am I not shocked. 

Even more "shocking"? Faux News also claimed that she was due on the 10th.

24 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

In England after the birth of each baby poor Kate had to make the ceremonial exit from the hospital (and god help her if she  actually dared to look like a woman who's just had a baby!)

I always figured that's why she let her post partum bump show. All the stylists in the world can't hide that.

• Love 1

57 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Well it's a nice picture and not one we've seen before right? I'm glad privately pics are still being exchanged between them.

We have seen the picture before, it is one the Sussexes have released previously. The Cambridges and the rest of the BRF, quite rightly, only use pictures already in the public domain when they make posts like thi.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

that point, she would have been overdue, so the tabloid could have very well been correct. 

The date of birth (or estimated date of confinement) is usually give or take 5 days (I myself came precisely 5 days before my due date). Doctors don't usually induce until the woman's 1-2 weeks overdue. Since we have no idea when Meghan's due date was, we don't know if that would have been necessary.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The "Meghan is a man" conspiracy theorists are probably melting down right now.

I hadn't heard that one. 

Don't worry, they'll come up with something equally stupid and crazy soon enough. These idiotic nutcases are creative, I'll give them that much.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I hadn't heard that one. 

Don't worry, they'll come up with something equally stupid and crazy soon enough. These idiotic nutcases are creative, I'll give them that much.

The "Meghan is a man" theory peaked during the late stages of the Archie pregnancy. Apparently they "knew" that Meghan was wearing a pillow and thus that they were baby-napping a foundling but that Meghan was a man. It was quite popular on a few YT channels (now defunct). The Queen was going to restore order by returning Archie to his biological parents and Meghan the man was going to be sent to the Tower of London.

And no, I am not making any of this up lol.

1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Did he read "Gone With The Wind"? Because that's precisely the bullshit way they were depicted in the book. There's conveniently no mention of how the Klan really acted--terrorizing and murdering freed slaves and their supporters for little to no reason.

His very young wife was an associate of mine and I was visiting them at his old home down in Fayetteville. I think he was as old as my parents. So as I said, I kept my mouth shut. His generation, in the south, learned this crap at a young age. Some (like him) never saw the light. I met people in Raleigh who still believed the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery (& got very indignant when I begged to differ). 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Enero said:

I think I read elsewhere that one of the British tabloids were claiming Meghan was going to be induced on Thursday, June 10th

June 10th would have been Prince Philip’s 100th birthday. But I’m sure the Markles wouldn’t have wanted their baby to be born on that day because they thrive on eschew publicity.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

His very young wife was an associate of mine and I was visiting them at his old home down in Fayetteville. I think he was as old as my parents. So as I said, I kept my mouth shut. His generation, in the south, learned this crap at a young age. Some (like him) never saw the light. I met people in Raleigh who still believed the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery (& got very indignant when I begged to differ). 

I'm 40 and your last point was still being taught in NC when I went to high school.   In college, the standard line was slavery was bad, but you know there were only 3 plantations in NC in 1861 with more than 100 slaves.   Heavily implying that it wasn't as bad here compared to other states because NC was poor.  They really bent over backwards to justify things.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Enero said:

Interesting. I’ve never got that impression about Jolie. She seems approachable, but perhaps not as vanilla as some people. Which I guess might be intimidating for some. But I’ve never got the impression that she’d be difficult to interact with.  But then again I don’t know her, so...who knows. People aren’t always who they seem to be.

True! And Miss Jolie seemed to be about as 'vanilla' as tutti-frutti and IMO only approachable if one happens to be driving a Sherman tank though more on the annoying rather than the intimidating side. However, you are correct that people aren't always who they seem to be . Hence, maybe all those folks who've had issues with her just caught  her on bad days and the other four or five days of the year, she's as nice as pie .  

• LOL 1
23 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The "Meghan is a man" theory peaked during the late stages of the Archie pregnancy. Apparently they "knew" that Meghan was wearing a pillow and thus that they were baby-napping a foundling but that Meghan was a man. It was quite popular on a few YT channels (now defunct). The Queen was going to restore order by returning Archie to his biological parents and Meghan the man was going to be sent to the Tower of London.

And no, I am not making any of this up lol.

Some people need to channel their ideas into fiction. There's a fun novel to be written about the troubles of the Ruritanian royal family. But claiming this in real life? I don't get it.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

June 10th would have been Prince Philip’s 100th birthday. But I’m sure the Markles wouldn’t have wanted their baby to be born on that day because they thrive on eschew publicity.

And that right there was the point of a completely baseless made up lie by British tabloids that's being peddled as truth, like all the other bullshit made up lies.

One of the tabloids claimed that Meghan herself was going around telling people she would give birth on June 10 to "honor" Philip. No proof at all of this supposed claim other than "a source said". 

And then they tacked onto their made up story with, "why is she announcing when she's giving birth if she claims to want privacy". Again, despite NO documented proof of this woman saying any of this. 

And in fact, based on when the made up story was being circulated, we now know she was likely laid up in a hospital pushing out a baby. But they keep going because they know their audience of click bait lovers fall for it every time. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Some people need to channel their ideas into fiction. There's a fun novel to be written about the troubles of the Ruritanian royal family. But claiming this in real life? I don't get it.

It's the same type of mindset that believes in all the crazy conspiracies being circulated these days, many of which lead believers to get involved with dangerous/illegal activities.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’m surprised the Markles named their baby after anyone in the royal family after they accused the royal family of racism. 

One does what one must to get back in the will. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Blergh said:

True! And Miss Jolie seemed to be about as 'vanilla' as tutti-frutti and IMO only approachable if one happens to be driving a Sherman tank though more on the annoying rather than the intimidating side. However, you are correct that people aren't always who they seem to be . Hence, maybe all those folks who've had issues with her just caught  her on bad days and the other four or five days of the year, she's as nice as pie .  

I googled and couldn’t find a thing. Is there a specific topic I should be searching under to find details about her 360 days out of the year being the equivalent of an enemy on the battlefield? I’d love to read about it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I hope people don't actually think that moms have control over when the baby comes out? Babies come out when they want to come out. I was three weeks late and my sister was two weeks early.

A lot of moms schedule when they want to give birth via Caesarian. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I had a history teacher teach us that Jim Crow laws were "benign" and that black people were "happier" being in their "own little world." 

We need an "anger" reaction.

• Love 21
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

In other news Sinead O'Connor announces her retirement from recording and touring- to the surprise of all those who thought she'd long since retired from recording and touring:

From the attached article:

Of course, stating you are retiring in the music business is itself a time-honored tradition. Elton John, Cher and many others have mounted “farewell” tours for many years. 

I know there have to have been people who announced their retirement and then actually did retire - I'm blanking out on any off the top of my head of course but in all sincerity I know there have been some.  It does though seem more like a way to generate some buzz - but then again do Cher or Elton John really need to generate buzz?  Not that O'Connor is in their league.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
Apparently I can't spell.
  • Love 4