Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

In case you missed it, the Markles have announced that they are taking parental leave. Hahaha. Wouldn’t that imply that you actually do something that you’re taking leave from? They are the grift that keeps on giving. 

• Love 12
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

ETA: although Lilibet could become "Betty." The dream stays alive!

I'm just relieved they didn't go with Edith!  Not just because it would be kinda creepy to name your two kids after a married couple but because, well, Edith.  My apologies in advance to any Ediths out there but definitely not my cup of tea where names are concerned!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 14
40 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It reminds me of a girl who I went to college with who said she's never forgiven her parents for naming her "Esther Ruth." She said "I sounded like I was 85 when I was an infant ..."

Hey - I resemble that remark!  😄

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

In case you missed it, the Markles have announced that they are taking parental leave. Hahaha. Wouldn’t that imply that you actually do something that you’re taking leave from? They are the grift that keeps on giving. 

Harry’s last name isn’t Markle.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

From the attached article:

Of course, stating you are retiring in the music business is itself a time-honored tradition. Elton John, Cher and many others have mounted “farewell” tours for many years. 

I know there have to have been people who announced their retirement and then actually did retire - I'm blanking out on any off the top of my head of course but in all sincerity I know there have been some.  It does though seem more like a way to generate some buzz - but then again do Cher or Elton John really need to generate buzz?  Not that O'Connor is in their league.

I could have sworn that Brad Pitt said he wanted to retire from acting when he turned 50, and Oscar Issac planned on taking a break after Star Wars.

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Harry has a job.   At a company that gives father's parental leave.   Not sure if Meghan is working right now or staying home raising the kids.   Which would be HER CHOICE either way.

I'm betting that Harry and Meghan did more work in the last year than Beatrice or Eugenie did in the years they were "working."

Good one.🤣🤣

Harry's "job" is to be the Duke of Sussex for the company he "works" for.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I’m not a fan at all of the name. Didn’t really like Archie’s name either but who am I? Certainly not the parents. So no big deal. 

tbh, I usually dislike celebrity baby names unless they're something completely boring like Emily or John and, at that point, what is there to comment on? Your child is not going to languish in obscurity because you name them Olivia. (See: Munn, Wilde, Jade, Rodrigo, de Havilland, etc.)

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Congratulations to the family! It saddens me that some people can be nasty to a woman even on a day that she gives/announces birth. Even if one doesn't like someone, some decency should be maintained and this seems like a new low. I hope Harry and Meghan can keep themselves safe from any toxicity.

Yep. It’s amazing how mean spirited people can be. 

Speaking of that, I’m betting at least on tabloid tries to spin it as them stealing Charlotte’s middle names. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

As that article states he is a brand ambassador with only a few unnamed executive responsibilities. I mean that isn’t to say he isn’t doing other things and has a foundation and the production company but that is not a full time job and probably not even a benefited position (other than compensation -salary/stock options).

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Of course, stating you are retiring in the music business is itself a time-honored tradition. Elton John, Cher and many others have mounted “farewell” tours for many years. 

I know there have to have been people who announced their retirement and then actually did retire - I'm blanking out on any off the top of my head of course but in all sincerity I know there have been some.  It does though seem more like a way to generate some buzz - but then again do Cher or Elton John really need to generate buzz?  Not that O'Connor is in their league.

Naomi Judd, kinda? She did a farewell tour in 1991 after being diagnosed with HepC, and other than a 1999 concert and 2000 special reunion tour I believe she’s stuck to other pursuits.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:
17 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I love the nickname Lilibet!  A lovely way to pay tribute to the Queen.  Haters gonna hate so no matter what name they had chosen it would have been met with nastiness and derision so well done Harry and Meghan for just choosing the name that works best for your family!

Expand  

I also love this tribute to Elizabeth as the person, Harry's beloved Gran.  Not Elizabeth the Queen.  It also pays homage to his great grandparents who bestowed the nickname on Elizabeth.  

I also cannot see Harry not getting Elizabeth's approval for this.  

Regarding the bolded: This is just a myth Her Majesty has to approve baby names within the Royal family. She doesn’t; at least not officially. It was cleared up at the time of the birth of either Prince George or Princess Charlotte.

I still am not fond of Archie as a name (I guess it makes me think of either the cartoon/comics/TV character Archie Andrews or Archie Bunker from All in the Family & Archie Bunker’s Place), but his baby sister’s name makes up for it. I like both Lilibet (if you think about it, though it wasn’t meant to it fits in with other “weird Hollywood/celebrity baby names” since the Sussexes currently live adjacent to metro LA/Hollywood, in the Santa Barbara area where many celebrities live) & Lili. Then, of course, there’s Diana. I love that each of her sons memorialized their beloved, too soon departed mother by giving their daughters her name as a middle name.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Country singer Barbara Mandrell (popular in  the 1970s & 1980s; she also had a very popular NBC variety show, Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters [starring with her sisters Louise, a fellow country singer, & Irlene, who was also a musician but seemed to be more of an actress], for a number of years) announced her retirement years ago & has stuck to it. In more recent years, Canada’s superstar Country/Pop crossover female vocalist Anne Murray, who is/was also very popular here in the US (I saw her in concert in my hometown maybe 4 or 5 times; loved it) also announced her retirement, going into it with a final major tour around Canada, & has stuck to it as well.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

ETA: although Lilibet could become "Betty." The dream stays alive!

That’s doubtful, at least within the family, since Harry & Meghan have already announced she’ll be called “Lili” (which happens to be the Welsh spelling of the name, it was pointed out upthread). And yes I’m guessing you were joking with the “Betty” thing since she’s an Archie comics character.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Good one.🤣🤣

Harry's "job" is to be the Duke of Sussex for the company he "works" for.

Beatrice and Eugenie famously have "jobs" where they are "Princesses."   They show up about 4 times a year and are on "vacation" the rest of the time.   Harry also has his foundation, the Invictus games and other projects.   The Princesses have .... vacations.   So I stand by my remark.

• Love 20
(edited)

I’ll bet dollars to donuts that the Markles already trademarked Lilibet’s name so they can use it for the line of children’s clothing that they’ll inevitably “ design” and market. 

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Amazon's Jeff Bezos is set to fly into space.  

🎵 Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like on
A-Jupiter and Mars🎵

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/07/jeff-bezos-to-fly-on-blue-origin-first-passenger-flight-in-july.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/tech/jeff-bezos-space-blue-origin-new-shepard-flight-scn/index.html

Frankly, I'm jealous. At this point, it's way too expensive for my liking. But maybe one day the price will come down. Of course, I might win the lottery tomorrow. You never know.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Blergh said:

You keep saying 'the Markles'? Are you referring to Tom Sr., Tom, Jr., Samantha and   other members of the Duchess of Sussex's paternal family?

Or are you facetiously referring to the Duke and Duchess themselves who, as far as anyone knows, have NOT changed their surname from Windsor-Mountbatten.  While I recognize that it's all our individual calls who we like or dislike, if you are actually referring to the Sussexes  when making your comments, it would help to actually call them what they are known as (e.g. the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, the former Meghan Markle,etc. ) instead of referring them by names they are not known to be using because it just winds up confusing the readers rather than coming across as  in any way being clever. 

We all know "the Markles" means Rachel & Prince Henry. It sorta sounds like a sitcom.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Or are you facetiously referring to the Duke and Duchess themselves who, as far as anyone knows, have NOT changed their surname from Windsor-Mountbatten

I refer to them as the Markles out of respect to them, since they have made it very clear that they want nothing to do with the Royal Family. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I refer to them as the Markles out of respect to them, since they have made it very clear that they want nothing to do with the Royal Family. 

Sorry but it just wound up being confusing to at least this reader. As I said, it's our individual calls re who we like and dislike. However, since they themselves have NOT said that they would henceforth be calling themselves by the Duchess's original surname, perhaps you might want to start referring to them by the name/s  that they are currently using- if you truly want to respect them as you claim. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 19
(edited)
13 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What it sounds like is someone determined to convey the impression that Harry is emasculated and being led around by an overbearing woman.  Because we all know a Real Man would never use his wife's name.

Exactly.

17 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Harry’s last name has never been Markle, and I’m almost positive that it’s no longer Meghan’s last name either. They’ve made no such statement that they’ve changed their names. As @Blergh and other posters have mentioned, it’s causing unnecessary confusion because we don’t know who you’re talking about. Unless Thomas or Samantha Markle has had a baby, it’s incorrect.

18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

We all know "the Markles" means Rachel & Prince Henry. It sorta sounds like a sitcom.

I don’t know that since they don’t go by those names.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 22
59 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What it sounds like is someone determined to convey the impression that Harry is emasculated and being led around by an overbearing woman.  Because we all know a Real Man would never use his wife's name.

Not at all.

23 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

For all the whinging about "cancel culture", I've yet to see anyone suggest we apologize to Sinead O'Connor for turning against her for that extremely minor thing she did nearly 30 years ago... which was in protest of something that was very real, but was being covered up. Hell, the truth about the Catholic priests was revealed a decade after the SNL incident, and we still didn't apologize. It makes my head spin that rapists, thugs, and outright killers are defended as "promising young men" whose "lives shouldn't be ruined", but we fed O'Connor to the wolves for telling the cold, hard truth and her career never recovered.

I've seen some think pieces floating around that internet that talk about this in recent months, but I don't know how much broader traction they have. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’ll bet dollars to donuts that the Markles already trademarked Lilibet’s name so they can use it for the line of children’s clothing that they’ll inevitably “ design” and market. 

Considering how terrible both Thomas and Samantha have been acting the past 4 years, I wouldn’t put it past them. Samantha’s next book might use Meghan and Harry’s daughter’s name as a title. I hope they’ll put a stop to that.

• Love 11
(edited)
14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: This is just a myth Her Majesty has to approve baby names within the Royal family. She doesn’t; at least not officially. It was cleared up at the time of the birth of either Prince George or Princess Charlotte.

There’s a difference between being required to get permission and getting her approval out of respect. I think it’s the latter that usually happens. 

Page Six is citing royal sources that they did ask for her permission.

Prince Harry asked Queen Elizabeth for permission to name baby Lilibet

It depresses me how many people are turning naming a baby after their great-grandmother into a bad thing. Of course those same people would be critical over any name they picked. 

7 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

No way to monetize that. 

That makes no sense. If they can monetize (I doubt they will) a version of Elizabeth they can monetize a version of Doria.

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

But Meghan's legal name isn't Markle anymore. It would be Rachel Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor. 

It's a bit like people calling Metta World Peace "Ron Artest." That's not his legal name anymore and so his legal name should be respected.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
30 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

But Meghan's legal name isn't Markle anymore. It would be Rachel Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor. 

It's a bit like people calling Metta World Peace "Ron Artest." That's not his legal name anymore and so his legal name should be respected.

That is assuming she chose to change her name at marriage. It's not automatic.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Metta World Peace isn’t using that name anymore. As of May, 2020, he goes by Metta Sandiford-Artest.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, bobalina said:

That is assuming she chose to change her name at marriage. It's not automatic.

No, it’s not. A Communications professor I had in college was married but used her maiden name professionally. A recent example in the celebrity world involves Australian wildlife conservationist Bindi Irwin, daughter of the late “Crocodile Hunter”, Steve Irwin. She married her longtime, American-born, partner, former professional wakeboarder Chandler Powell on March 25, 2020 (their daughter, Grace Warrior Irwin Powell, was born this year, on their first wedding anniversary) & kept her last name of Irwin, which Chandler apparently completely understood the reasons for.

• Useful 3