Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Kromm said:

Google just told me he's now dating that girl from Bridgerton. Somehow meeting her in the middle of a Pandemic. And somewhere in there, Cindy Crawford's daughter (who a picture shows is pretty much a younger doppelganger of her Supermodel mother). So along with Ariana, I guess we can conclude he's definitely got game. 

I've always preferred cute + personality. Pete may not be a model, but he is tall, cute, funny, self-deprecating, and according to Ariana, he's got a, never mind I'll be ladylike. But yeah, I get his appeal! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I've always preferred cute + personality. Pete may not be a model, but he is tall, cute, funny, self-deprecating, and according to Ariana, he's got a, never mind I'll be ladylike. But yeah, I get his appeal! 

And he can bring a Steely Dan audience to its feet!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, Dejana said:

They were on The Young and the Restless together (Chrishell Stause, too, I think). It's Justin's third marriage.

Ah yes. Another guy who absolutely, 100% totally waited to start dating another woman until after he publicized he was divorcing his wife and not before.  Uh-huh.

Honestly, I would not put John Mulaney in the "cancel" and "perv" category; otherwise, I'd be discussing him in the other thread.  However, I do wonder how I'll experience his comedy in the future.  I do think he's funny.  His SNL hosting stints are usually episodes I look forward to.  But his comedy also tends to be personal about his sobriety and how much he loved his wife. And....well....

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9
(edited)

Pete Davidson gives me the heebie-jeebies. I don't find him attractive or funny. 

I like John Mulaney. I'm not super familiar with his work, but what I have seen has been funny to me. I am more familiar with him from interviews and, because I'm a big Bill Hader fan, also knowing backstory on him being an SNL writer and doing the Stefon skits and having a running inside joke of him trying to crack Hader up every time on air. The one standup bit I've seen from him--which makes fun of Law and Order SVU--does make me laugh pretty hard, and it's been funny enough for me to revisit it. 

I think if what we assume he did to his wife is true, it's pretty trashy and does not reflect well on him. But it's not enough for me to swear off ever seeing him in anything again. Fairly or not, I just sort of assume all comedians are assholes or deeply troubled individuals or deeply troubled assholes.

I'm not really a big standup fan, though. I listened to some Richard Pryor when I was in college--I was taking a class on Nazi Germany, and slogging through the homework was difficult, and I figured Pryor was funny and would be offensive to Nazis, and my homework strategy for the semester was settled. But I just don't really have the patience to sit through an entire standup routine generally. Send me funny clips, and I'm good. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

All this stuff about Bill Gates coming out is surprising. Maybe because I've seen many Bill Gates interviews and a more awkward person you could not find. So to discover that he's been a womanizer for many years is ... well, odd.

On reflection its not really that surprising.  Its downright stereotypical.

Only mystery is whether this is access journalism at work again or if Melinda Gates' lawyers dropped a file with details of his picadilloes to some reporters. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Only mystery is whether this is access journalism at work again or if Melinda Gates' lawyers dropped a file with details of his picadilloes to some reporters. 

With this drip, drip, drip of news coming out (all progressively more gross with each story), I had assumed that Melinda’s lawyers were leaking in an attempt to gain leverage to renegotiate any existing prenup (as in, Bill’s lawyers would want to reach terms ASAP that would include some kind of NDA going forward).  First it was just that Melinda was uncomfortable with a 2013 Epstein meeting, then it was news about repeated Epstein hangouts, then it was a Microsoft Board investigation about his inappropriate relationship with an employee.  It makes me wonder how much worse it’s going to get.

1 hour ago, Zella said:

I think if what we assume he did to his wife is true, it's pretty trashy and does not reflect well on him. But it's not enough for me to swear off ever seeing him in anything again. Fairly or not, I just sort of assume all comedians are assholes or deeply troubled individuals or deeply troubled assholes.

That’s a good point.  I’m actually a gigantic Mulaney fan (of everything from his SNL writing to his standup to his Broadway show with Nick Kroll, to his available-on-Netflix episode of “Documentary Now!” (if you like Sondheim musicals, you must watch), to his and Kroll’s hilarious pandemic podcast last year), so I’m not going to become a non-fan.  But yeah, how he may have treated his wife, if true, is super trashy, and more worryingly, his major life changes post-rehab don’t sound like a good prescription for sobriety.  I worry about him to the same degree I worry about Pete Davidson (to bring it back around).  I just genuinely want them to be well, in or out of the spotlight.

I think the reason that the Munn story generated so much press is that Mulaney is so, so popular among people with active pop culture social media presences.  Memes based on his standup and his dog’s Instagram are all over Twitter and Tumblr.  I see them almost daily.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

more worryingly, his major life changes post-rehab don’t sound like a good prescription for sobriety.

Yeah it all seems incredibly impulsive. And of course it is hard to evaluate anyone's actual relationship, even if you know them, so who knows what goes on behind closed doors. But it certainly didn't seem like an openly toxic marriage--he was always gushing about her. If they'd been an obvious trainwreck, it would make more sense that someone who was coming off rehab would be cutting ties with the other one. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

And he can bring a Steely Dan audience to its feet!

I love this interview! Thank you for posting it. Pete sounds like a fun guy who's up for anything, and John is a great storyteller. 

• Love 3

The Gates divorce is going to get MESSSSSSSSY.   But divorces with LOTS of money at stake always do.   I never bought the whole "we are going to give everything to charity" line.   She clearly wants her piece of the very large pie.  If they were both big fans of the foundation (and continuing that together looks like it will be awkward) she wouldn't be fighting for that, it would just be, give it to the foundation, let me have what we agreed.    I notice she is now being referred to as Melinda French-Gates.   All these years, it was Melinda Gates.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Fairly or not, I just sort of assume all comedians are assholes or deeply troubled individuals or deeply troubled assholes.

Deeply troubled might be a bit strong, and assholes is harsh, but yeah, I've always said that naturally funny people are generally borne of pain or sadness or both.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Pete Davidson gives me the heebie-jeebies. I don't find him attractive or funny. 

I agree with you.  I get a weird vibe from him.  I too am puzzled as to how he gets such hot women.  Sure Ok maybe he makes them laugh but sense of humor only goes so far.

9 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

At this point a rich man not cheating on his wife would be surprising.

• Love 11

Pete Davidson isn't for me, either in looks or (probably) personality.  Other than Chad and a few good straight stand up bits he does for Weekend Update, I don't think he brings anything to SNL.  And his outside SNL projects don't do it for me either.  Having said that, he definitely has an attainable puppy look.  Add in his personal problems and it's a wounded attainable puppy look. Add in if his brand of comedy is your thing then you have a trifecta for some people.  Like I said, it's not for me but I kind of see why it would be for others.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Deeply troubled might be a bit strong, and assholes is harsh, but yeah, I've always said that naturally funny people are generally borne of pain or sadness or both.

Jerry Seinfeld had a great line in an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee about how being a successful comedian is a combination of 3 things: natural talent, luck/timing, and working your ass off (probably true for any successful job). I have read a few comedian biographies and seen a few documentaries and the third item seems brutal. So I can see how the work it takes going through and fine tuning every joke and every line down to the syllable could easily turn someone into an asshole.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Popples said:

I wonder if any of her friends and/or shower attendees, with her impending parenthood, considered gifting Miss Campbell a book about anger management.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've always said that naturally funny people are generally borne of pain or sadness or both.

Yes! That was basically what I was trying to get at, just a lot more crudely. LOL

I stopped reading comedian bios after reading about Chris Farley. Everything about him was just really so unbearably sad. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah, I agree there's something creepy about him. Like I'd cross the street to avoid him.

John Mulaney, though, I'm surprised people find him unattractive. He's not the best-looking guy around, but he seems blandly, generically handsome to me. Maybe someone who'd universally be considered "okay."

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, janie jones said:

John Mulaney, though, I'm surprised people find him unattractive. He's not the best-looking guy around, but he seems blandly, generically handsome to me. Maybe someone who'd universally be considered "okay."

Yeah he doesn't really do anything for me personally, but I don't think he's terrible looking, and the fact he's funny and witty can certainly do a lot for enhancing attractiveness. There's a YouTube comment that describes him as "looks like a Kennedy Family offspring, yet sounds like a 14-year old boy impersonating a 1970s sportscaster," and that actually seems pretty accurate! LOL 

On the timeline front, this seems pretty damning if true. It's now being reported that his wife went to rehab for eating disorders and for help coping with the emotional fallout over his cheating at the same time he was in rehab for relapsing. 

https://okmagazine.com/p/john-mulaney-estranged-wife-anna-marie-tendler-rehab-alleged-infidelity/

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I wonder if any of her friends and/or shower attendees, with her impending parenthood, considered gifting Miss Campbell a book about anger management.

Maybe they'll give the baby a toy phone so she can learn how to throw it

27 minutes ago, janie jones said:

John Mulaney, though, I'm surprised people find him unattractive. 

I'm surprised people find him attractive.

16 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I think Mullaney is slightly (only just) on the better side of average. 

I think he's squarely in the middle of average.

• Love 3

I had to check what a vagina candle is.

I somehow assumed it was something similar to the vagina eggs I've heard about, but this was weird and gross in a different way.

Who are the people who buy these things? And would better sex-ed help with that?

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Who are the people who buy these things?

I don't know, but when I think of my million-dollar grift, I'm going to need GOOP's list of these people, because apparently, they have too much money.

• LOL 16
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

Who are the people who buy these things?

In this case, a man who wants his home to smell like Gwyneth's vagina.

Seriously, what the heck?! Who was on the team that found out what she smells like? Did they go home and tell their families what they just did for science?

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

Jerry Seinfeld had a great line in an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee about how being a successful comedian is a combination of 3 things: natural talent, luck/timing, and working your ass off (probably true for any successful job). I have read a few comedian biographies and seen a few documentaries and the third item seems brutal. So I can see how the work it takes going through and fine tuning every joke and every line down to the syllable could easily turn someone into an asshole.

Was he ever a good comedian? Yeah, I know he had the show but I feel like that was mostly Larry David and the writers and having a good supporting cast. I get the impression that he was always an asshole and it had nothing to do with being a stand up.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Was he ever a good comedian? Yeah, I know he had the show but I feel like that was mostly Larry David and the writers and having a good supporting cast. I get the impression that he was always an asshole and it had nothing to do with being a stand up.

I mean he is a legendary stand up. He also was involved in the writing of the show. He might not be your cup of tea but his stand up was extremely popular and has influenced a shit ton of people. Now if you are talking about was he ever a good actor, I would say obviously not but I have never heard of someone suggest he wasn’t a good comedian even if they didn’t like his style.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I mean he is a legendary stand up. He also was involved in the writing of the show. He might not be your cup of tea but his stand up was extremely popular and has influenced a shit ton of people. Now if you are talking about was he ever a good actor, I would say obviously not but I have never heard of someone suggest he wasn’t a good comedian even if they didn’t like his style.

Jerry could never win an Oscar but his acting got better each season. Plus, I don't think any other TV show created so many popular phrases ("not that there's anything wrong with that").

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

many popular phrases ("not that there's anything wrong with that").

I am currently listening to a food podcast and literally when I was reading your post someone used the phrase “master of my domain”!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 9
(edited)
On 5/17/2021 at 10:25 PM, Zella said:

I like John Mulaney. I'm not super familiar with his work, but what I have seen has been funny to me. I am more familiar with him from interviews and, because I'm a big Bill Hader fan, also knowing backstory on him being an SNL writer and doing the Stefon skits and having a running inside joke of him trying to crack Hader up every time on air.

I don't find his standup all that funny and a lot of his SNL stuff struck me as  cluelessly sneery in the same very specific way (e.g., the bodega song).  But Stefon!  Jesus!  those sketches were the ONLY redeeming bits for long dry stretches of SNL.  Bill Hader's wonderfulness helped a lot of course - but the writing itself was funny.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

those sketches were the ONLY redeeming bits for long dry stretches of SNL.  Bill Hader's wonderfulness helped a lot of course

I was never a very regular SNL viewer, but I would still occasionally watch SNL at that point only for Bill Hader to see if I'd get a Stefon or some gem like his affectionate sendup of Dateline.  I've not watched an episode since he left. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

a man who wants his home to smell like Gwyneth's vagina.

Besides the fact that a clean vagina has no odor, and probably just smells like whatever soap was used to wash it.

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I would say that is more on her than him, but people also forge he did date a high school senior.

When he was nearly 40, mind you. So gross. I'll bet Seinfeld just loves the Woody Allen movie Manhattan.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yea he is a crazy good comedian who works his ass off on his material. I saw him on tour years ago with my wife before we had kids. She wasn't a fan but reluctantly went. She ended up laughing like crazy and still quotes his bit about how if you eat raisin bran for breakfast your life is over anytime I have it.

• Love 6

I guess I've never known Seinfeld as a hardworking comic... only a privileged asshole with bad opinions who is roasted for basic observational comedy. And then Bee Movie memes. I grew up with his show still on the air but, for me, it had eclipsed his stand up. I don't think I've ever heard him tell a joke I genuinely laughed at. 

(I would mention some other comics with TV shows but they're all predators so...)

• Love 3

The only stand up I saw Seinfeld do was his bits on his show.  Some of his jokes were I thought amusing but never hysterical.  I always thought his comedy was middle of the road.  Not offensive or all that smart.  My tastes were more George Carlin or Chris Rock.

As mentioned above his love life always grossed me out.  First the very young girlfriend and then the newly married to someone else girlfriend.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

The only stand up I saw Seinfeld do was his bits on his show.  Some of his jokes were I thought amusing but never hysterical.  I always thought his comedy was middle of the road.  Not offensive or all that smart.  My tastes were more George Carlin or Chris Rock.

Chris Rock can be hilarious but, unfortunately, he seems to need to use the F word every few seconds. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

As mentioned above his love life always grossed me out.  First the very young girlfriend and then the newly married to someone else girlfriend.

I like his show, but not enough to check his standup. I also prefer George Carlin and Chris Rock.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Chris Rock can be hilarious but, unfortunately, he seems to need to use the F word every few seconds. 

I don't mind the f word tbh. My favorite comedians tend to have foul mouths (unfortunately), but I really wish they could be less crude. Dave Chappelle is a talented guy, but he's probably the worst about this. I've seen him live before but not sure if I would again. Can you please do a routine without p***y jokes? It's crass, you come across as misogynistic, and not even funny imo. This person's stank p word, no good 35-yea-old p word. Really? It's always weird to me when someone who has daughters talks like this. You don't need to have family shows, but it wouldn't kill you to have limits. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 8

The Telegraph cracks me up with how consistently awful they are about everything.  I'm certainly not YouTube subscribed to them, but the algorithm aggressively pushes their content, especially their Community posts...  

They're consistently outrageous opinions labeled as news.  For example, on Joe Rogan seeing some well deserved and long overdue consequences for his stupid opinions, today they posted... 

IMG-20210519-134643.jpg

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The Telegraph cracks me up with how consistently awful they are about everything.  I'm certainly not YouTube subscribed to them, but the algorithm aggressively pushes their content, especially their Community posts...  

They're consistently outrageous opinions labeled as news.  For example, on Joe Rogan seeing some well deserved and long overdue consequences for his stupid opinions, today they posted... 

IMG-20210519-134643.jpg

Oh boo hoo.  If I have any contempt for straight white men it's because they deserve it.

• LOL 16
  • Love 1