Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, catlover79 said:

I doubt he's changed at all. He's pushing 50. Leopards don't change their spots, especially as they get older.

ITA. Also, I think one reason there's more talk about J.Lo is because there's no debating whether or not Ben has issues. I think he's an attractive guy, but I think women should tread softly with him, especially women with options, like J.Lo. I don't think she has any issues with addiction or cheating and can do better. Maybe misogyny is a factor for some people, but it's not always what gets people talking. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

This exactly.

I know it sounds like I actively search for stuff about her to dislike, but for awhile she was everywhere and I couldn’t escape her.  I used to get People magazine, and she always seemed to be interviewed or quoted.  I remember reading a Reader’s Digest article about her (yes, I am old) in which she talked about the Selena criticism that she couldn’t speak Spanish and mentioned that she quickly married and her husband only spoke Spanish and the marriage should quell the comments.  That made me stop and go hmm.  Then she had a magazine article in which she dissed other actresses and talked about her dedication to her craft.  Then I remember her relationship with P. Diddy raised her fame status and she was always in the magazine out with him, but after his nightclub arrest she married the dancer and went on Oprah to say she really only ever wanted to stay home and knit.  Then she dumped him for Ben Affleck.  I don’t know her and maybe it was all organic and coincidental, but man she makes herself sound very calculating.

I'm old, too, and also remember reading that Reader's Digest article! 😁

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, rcc said:

Lost respect for her because of it too.

And in turn, this makes Howard look really bad.  There are no lack of qualified candidates for that position, and they're handing it over to someone who the first time a reporter really presses her on this issue is likely to say something that humiliates the entire school. And the last thing Howard should want to do is remind people of their close ties to Cosby. They've got a lot more to their history. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

But when it all blew up spectacularly in his face, he settled in his life with "sweet, girl next door" Jennifer Garner and had his camp push the narrative that he was always this normal Boston guy next door and J Lo's diva-ness wasn't the kind of life he wanted. Yeah, okay.

Eh. They deserve each other.  I am no fan of his or hers.  And this sounds exactly like what happened with Diddy.  She was riding high on his lifestyle but when it got too real (hey Ja Rule!) she ran with a quickness to distance herself and married the milquetoast Chris Judd.  He was basically her version of Jennifer Garner.  LOL.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 5/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, DearEvette said:

I read this as NBC has decided not the air the Golden Girls in 2022 and was so confused on every level for a hot second.

Like... why is NBC even airing the Golden Girls in 2022?

I'd rather watch the Golden Girls than the Golden Globes. 

• Love 20
(edited)
4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

For some reason I thought they were writing a new movie. My brain is not good at remembering Deadline articles about announced projects these days.

In trying to google for it, I did find this article about social media reactions from semi-famous people... 

https://hollywoodlife.com/2021/05/11/celebrities-react-jennifer-lopez-ben-affleck-reunion-bennifer-comments/

They are: The Last Duel, which comes out later this year. They star in it along with Adam Driver and Jodie Comer and talked about working on it last year:

The new film, which the pair co-wrote alongside Nicole Holofcener (Can You Ever Forgive Me?) is a departure for the writer-actors given that it is also a medieval period piece in which Affleck stars as the King of France and Damon is one of his knights. And it’s in line with both actors’ renewed desires to adjust their careers again toward personal interests—and perhaps move further away from superheroes and superspies.

“Finishing up this movie with you,” Affleck told Damon, “it’s so much more enriching to be working together, to be working with someone I know and love, and the fact I want to see and spend time with and hang out with [you]. Realizing that time goes by and how you spend your day defines what your life is going to be, and the quality of that time, is really important. And it contributes, I think, to the quality of your work.”

It's the first movie they've written and starred in together since Good Will Hunting. Starting up the PR early, I suppose... /s

IMO, they probably get along fine, but are middle aged men with their own careers and growing/teenage kids. Plus, Ben is living the bachelor life, so he and Matt aren't photographed hanging out all the time like they used to. Not great blind item fodder, I know...

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I'd rather watch the Golden Girls than the Golden Globes. 

My sentiments exactly. Then again, I find all the awards shows annoying and self-congratulatory. 
I don’t know any other profession/industry that has such an abundance of awards shows.

I have been self-employed with no employees (except my husband who I pay in tamales) for 10 years and I have been voted “Employee Of The Year” for all 10 years. Not a single employee threw a party for me 😜

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Dejana said:

IMO, they probably get along fine, but are middle aged men with their own careers and growing/teenage kids. Plus, Ben is living the bachelor life, so he and Matt aren't photographed hanging out all the time like they used to. Not great blind item fodder, I know...

I agree. It's also possible that their friendship has had moments when it weakened but wasn't so weak that it stopped. Ben and Kevin Smith have been friends for a long time and their friendship lapsed for several years before they reconnected. They didn't have a massive falling out or anything particularly dramatic (I read that Kevin theorized that Garner wasn't his biggest fan but I don't know if that's true) but were mostly just in different places in their careers and personal lives. Then Kevin announced Jay And Silent Bob Reboot, Ben was asked by a reporter if he'd do it, he said yes, Kevin read that, immediately emailed him, and the friendship was back on. Ben was even the one to give the speech when Kevin and Jason Mewes got to do the hand and footprint ceremony at the Chinese Theater in LA.

So my point here is that I think Ben and Matt are still actual friends rather than whatever PR thing he and JLo are doing.

Thinking about Mulaney's divorce I am so curious about his motive for filing. As others have mentioned he's spoken of her in glowing terms over the years and it was certainly a surprise to her so I wonder what changed. I wouldn't be surprised if he refuses to talk about it but I'm nosy and want details.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

Matt tells a story about being young and smarting off to a huge guy while playing tackle football one afternoon.  The guy was pissed, took him down, and could have done some damage except younger, smaller Ben Affleck flew across the field and threw himself on top of the big guy.  Matt said Ben will be a friend for life.  Seeing him tell that story, I believe him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

So my point here is that I think Ben and Matt are still actual friends rather than whatever PR thing he and JLo are doing.

I don't think Bennifer 2.0 is totally PR, though. Sure, her camp is likely feeding quotes to People or US Weekly (and maybe his, too), but Ben and Jennifer have had a mutual admiration society going on for years and they've been very open about staying in touch, post-breakup. They're both free now, and they've always had a lot of love for each other. But yes, by letting the paps in on the reunion, she cuts off all the "JLo: Sad & Alone After A-Rod CHEATS With Women Half Her Age" stories. A-Rod gets to see that she's not at home crying over him. With Bennifer the sequel, Ben turns the page from being a sad, middle-aged man dumped by a "sexy" younger actress whose career is on the upswing. Last week's stories about his celebrity dating app fail? Already old news.

Celebrities are different, but exposing yourself and your kids to increased paparazzi attention like this for a relationship where you aren't even getting any? I really don't buy that Ben or JLo need publicity that badly right now. Who knows, maybe they've wanted to hook up again for years, but the Bennifer stigma scared them off until now...

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9572843/Courtney-Stodden-claims-Chrissy-Teigen-NEVER-reached-privately-say-sorry-comments.html 

Chrissy Teigen once again shows her true colors. A real class act. Why anyone follows her, I’ll never know.

One thing that has confused me about Teigen's current social media persona is that it ignores how cruel she could be to people back in the day. I've never followed her career or Courtney Stodden's life, but I remember when Teigen was notorious for how mean she was on Twitter, and it always put a bad taste in my mouth about her. 

She will sort of cop to it when she's called out for it, but when she is discussing how awful people are on social media, she never seems to acknowledge that she repeatedly demonstrated that toxicity herself and helped cement Twitter as a place for that. It certainly doesn't justify the abuse that is thrown her way and doesn't exclude the possibility that she has matured and genuinely changed as a person, but I find it disingenuous on her part all the same. 

• Love 15
(edited)
6 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I agree. It's also possible that their friendship has had moments when it weakened but wasn't so weak that it stopped. Ben and Kevin Smith have been friends for a long time and their friendship lapsed for several years before they reconnected. They didn't have a massive falling out or anything particularly dramatic (I read that Kevin theorized that Garner wasn't his biggest fan but I don't know if that's true) but were mostly just in different places in their careers and personal lives. Then Kevin announced Jay And Silent Bob Reboot, Ben was asked by a reporter if he'd do it, he said yes, Kevin read that, immediately emailed him, and the friendship was back on. Ben was even the one to give the speech when Kevin and Jason Mewes got to do the hand and footprint ceremony at the Chinese Theater in LA.

Kevin definitely believed he and Jennifer not liking each other was the reason he and Ben were no longer close. Garner and Smith worked together on Catch and Release and Kevin had a cameo in Daredevil, presumably sorted by Ben. Knowing Kevin's personality, I can see him really not meshing well with Garner, who often comes off as very earnest and proper.

I remember seeing a roundtable discussion with Kevin, Ben, Jennifer, Jon Favreau and Colin Farrell, which was obviously shot during the filming of Daredevil. It's got some fun chat but there's a very awkward moment where Kevin gives Ben shit one too many times (as was their relationship, and the relationship Kevin Smith has with everyone) and Jennifer gets very defensive on his behalf, which in turn causes Kevin to get defensive and insist no one loves Ben as much as him, while Ben just sits there looking uncomfortable. Kevin has implied that that was the dynamic that caused the rift - Jennifer didn't get Kevin Smith's boyish, mocking humour and thought Ben should have friends who treat him better.

But it's just a part of growing up - your dickhead friends when you're in your twenties might not be friends any more when you're in your thirties or forties. Kevin seemed to accept that, although he and Ben have reconnected in the last few years.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I remember seeing a roundtable discussion with Kevin, Ben, Jennifer, Jon Favreau and Colin Farrell, which was obviously shot during the filming of Daredevil. It's got some fun chat but there's a very awkward moment where Kevin gives Ben shit one too many times (as was their relationship, and the relationship Kevin Smith has with everyone) and Jennifer gets very defensive on his behalf, which in turn causes Kevin to get defensive and insist no one loves Ben as much as him, while Ben just sits there looking uncomfortable. Kevin has implied that that was the dynamic that caused the rift - Jennifer didn't get Kevin Smith's boyish, mocking humour and thought Ben should have friends who treat him better.

I remember this moment so clearly because even though I'm generally kind of oblivious, it was obvious even to me that she was into Ben. I think she was married to Scott Foley at the time and he was in the thick of Bennifer 1.0.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Zella said:

One thing that has confused me about Teigen's current social media persona is that it ignores how cruel she could be to people back in the day. I've never followed her career or Courtney Stodden's life, but I remember when Teigen was notorious for how mean she was on Twitter, and it always put a bad taste in my mouth about her. 

She will sort of cop to it when she's called out for it, but when she is discussing how awful people are on social media, she never seems to acknowledge that she repeatedly demonstrated that toxicity herself and helped cement Twitter as a place for that. It certainly doesn't justify the abuse that is thrown her way and doesn't exclude the possibility that she has matured and genuinely changed as a person, but I find it disingenuous on her part all the same. 

I saw her "apology" on twitter.   It was all "OMG, I was such a troll then.   It was wrong."  But she never actually apologizes for telling a minor (?) to go kill her self.   And privately DMing her the same.   Which when you get to private DMs you are past trolling and into outright harassment territory.   Now whether Stoddard was actually a minor at the time (there has always been some question about her actual age, apparently her mom lied about her age for years to keep her kid beauty pageant eligible) but you don't say that to anyone regardless of age.   

I feel bad for Chrissy for some of her personal tragedies.   But the famewhoring and doing anything for attention -- then getting hit with the consequences of it?   Nope, not a whit of sympathy.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I saw her "apology" on twitter.   It was all "OMG, I was such a troll then.   It was wrong."  But she never actually apologizes for telling a minor (?) to go kill her self.   And privately DMing her the same.   Which when you get to private DMs you are past trolling and into outright harassment territory.   Now whether Stoddard was actually a minor at the time (there has always been some question about her actual age, apparently her mom lied about her age for years to keep her kid beauty pageant eligible) but you don't say that to anyone regardless of age.   

I feel bad for Chrissy for some of her personal tragedies.   But the famewhoring and doing anything for attention -- then getting hit with the consequences of it?   Nope, not a whit of sympathy.  

Wait! What?!

Miss Tiegen actually urged someone else to end their life?! EGADS!!!

I don't care if the other person is a toddler or is Methuselah's grandma,  that's beyond mere annoyance and crossed the line to heinously toxic.

Maybe I'm still naive but I can't understand why Twitter didn't close her account and freeze her out for that (and that the legal authorities didn't at the very least spell out that she was NEVER to do that again to another person without serious consequences). 

It's one thing to say 'you need to change your 'tude,etc.' but to say to urge another human to end their life shouldn't be tolerated anymore than someone standing in the street urging another person standing on a roof to jump off! 

And I say all the above as someone who thought (and still thinks) it was horrible that others taunted Miss Tiegen over her having had that miscarriage! 

• Love 14
16 hours ago, Kromm said:

And in turn, this makes Howard look really bad.  There are no lack of qualified candidates for that position, and they're handing it over to someone who the first time a reporter really presses her on this issue is likely to say something that humiliates the entire school. And the last thing Howard should want to do is remind people of their close ties to Cosby. They've got a lot more to their history. 

Totally agree!

And the sad thing is that, were it not for Miss Rashad's tenacious insistence of Mr. Crosby's 'innocence and railroading'  (and deliberately ignoring literally dozens of claimants' accounts), she may have  been a fairly good candidate.  Of course, the question the Howard University folks may want to ask is, if she's kept that 'tude re her onetime colleague and dismissed overwhelming evidence, how can they count on her to prioritize protecting the female students' persons and integrity against harassment and assaults? Will she even bother to attempt to listen to any claims instead of just dismiss them as 'railroading'- especially if they may be against her fave faculty and administrative colleagues? 

Oh, in other news, I'm relieved that Miss DeGeneres is quitting her show after next year (though don't envy those employees who have to deal with her until then) but I truly wish Miss Winfrey had told her 'no thanks, not interested' re any exit interview  with her. Still, as disappointed as I am re Miss Winfrey's doing this, it doesn't come as a total surprise because it seems that, as long as a celeb (and this rule applies only to celebs) kisses up to Miss Winfrey's ego and NEVER says or does anything to humiliate Miss Winfrey herself- regardless of how they've treated others, Miss Winfrey is happy to shine a spotlight on them and do her best to bask in it herself.   

• Love 13
38 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Wait! What?!

Miss Tiegen actually urged someone else to end their life?! EGADS!!!

I don't care if the other person is a toddler or is Methuselah's grandma,  that's beyond mere annoyance and crossed the line to heinously toxic.

Maybe I'm still naive but I can't understand why Twitter didn't close her account and freeze her out for that (and that the legal authorities didn't at the very least spell out that she was NEVER to do that again to another person without serious consequences). 

It's one thing to say 'you need to change your 'tude,etc.' but to say to urge another human to end their life shouldn't be tolerated anymore than someone standing in the street urging another person standing on a roof to jump off! 

And I say all the above as someone who thought (and still thinks) it was horrible that others taunted Miss Tiegen over her having had that miscarriage! 

Just from reading some of the other coverage, I get the impression that Stoddard was considered annoying by many people, so she was considered fair game. I don't understand it, and someone on Twitter did a whole thread showing how many times Teigan went after Stoddard. Beyond the DMs, Teigan straight up made veiled "why don't you kill yourself" tweets publicly to Stoddard and also said things along the line of "tell me why your mouth looks like that, so I can avoid looking so stupid." Not an exact quote but that was the gist of it. And these went on for months. Teigan was in her mid twenties doing this to someone who was a teenager at the time. So, yeah, this is why whenever Teigan tries to pull the whole "I'm just too sensitive of a soul for the cesspool that is Twitter," all I can think is she apparently only has a problem with it when it is turned on her. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Blergh said:

You can be a bully and still be bullied yourself.

Jennifer Lopez can have as many relationships she wants but when you move from one serious one to the next one so quickly it's hard to take them seriously.

Ellen's stated reasons for ending her talk show doesn't do anything to repair her image. I liked her sitcom in the 90s.  But after that I didn't care for her. I could never really explain why but after the past few years I feel like I must have sensed something.

I felt the same way about Bill Cosby. Going back to his Fat Albert days I actively disliked him. It took almost 40 years but now I can say I was right to not like him.

19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

And the sad thing is that, were it not for Miss Rashad's tenacious insistence of Mr. Crosby's 'innocence and railroading'  (and deliberately ignoring literally dozens of claimants' accounts), she may have  been a fairly good candidate.  Of course, the question the Howard University folks may want to ask is, if she's kept that 'tude re her onetime colleague and dismissed overwhelming evidence, how can they count on her to prioritize protecting the female students' persons and integrity against harassment and assaults? Will she even bother to attempt to listen to any claims instead of just dismiss them as 'railroading'- especially if they may be against her fave faculty and administrative colleagues? 

This is a very good point. It's one thing to support someone you know and care for but to publicly say the things Rashad has said makes me think she is not a good fit for this job.

• Love 9

I’m not surprised that Ellen is ending her talk show. I think she seemed ambivalent about signing up for the last two years at the last contract negotiation time, but did so to help finance Portia’s art company. She’s at the end of her contract and at the end of her current season. Doing it this way gives her staff time to search for new jobs and her legal team won’t have to spend the next year going through the motions of negotiations. I’m sure the pandemic plus all the other stuff that happened this past year contributed to going ahead and pulling the plug when she was already on the fence about continuing the show. 19 years is a long time to do any job, but it’s ancient in the entertainment industry. It makes sense that she might want to focus on other things now. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

People Magazine has Pink on its latest cover and she discusses being pitted against other pop stars early in her career:

"It was so unfair to all the girls," Pink, 41, says in the new issue of PEOPLE of being pitted against Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera as they rose to fame in the early aughts. "None of us wanted that."

Pink was even marketed as an "anti-Britney" figure in music, which she never wanted.

"I love Britney — she used to carry around my album," says the star, whose new Amazon Prime Video documentary P!nk: All I Know So Far (streaming May 21) offers a rare glimpse of her life backstage on tour with her family in tow. "I was like, 'Dude, I'm a street punk, I just skateboard. That doesn't have to be the anti-Britney. I don't want to fight anybody.'"

This being the Pink who sang "Stupid Girls" and starred its video, which takes direct shots at Jessica Simpson and Fergie, among other celebrities (and also casually depicts an eating disorder):

But that was the sentiment in the aughts and into the 2010s: certain young women in the public eye were vacuous airheads and/or overly sexual, they were setting bad examples for impressionable girls, so dish out all the scorn and contempt on those "bimbos" that you want. They're probably too stupid or oblivious to notice the criticisms, anyway!  Considering what they might have gone through in life that led them to that point, the people who could be exploiting them, and the systems validating the status quo? Nah. 

There was also a cachet to being an internet/social media edgelord and you got validation for dunking on someone. A lot of comments praised as snark at the time crossed the line into bullying. Obviously, death threats were never okay, though some would try to write off such comments to a public figure as a "joke". People can dwell in their snarky disdain of a celebrity, it can turn to loathing and hatred, and you stop seeing the target of your wrath as an actual human being. Now, there is much more of a sense that the "online you" is still you, and that there's a responsibility for the things you say. Not that people aren't still vile on the internet, but there are more calls for accountability about it.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Just from reading some of the other coverage, I get the impression that Stoddard was considered annoying by many people, so she was considered fair game.

I think it's accurate to say Stoddard wasn't just annoying, but in some ways pretty grotesque and disturbing.  But what an idiot like Chrissy Teigen never seemed to get is the distinction between merely expressing disgust (although that's still affected by why anyone should CARE about Chrissy Teigen's opinion on anything) and using language like "go kill yourself" or "I hope you die". 

• Love 14
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I think it's accurate to say Stoddard wasn't just annoying, but in some ways pretty grotesque and disturbing.  But what an idiot like Chrissy Teigen never seemed to get is the distinction between merely expressing disgust (although that's still affected by why anyone should CARE about Chrissy Teigen's opinion on anything) and using language like "go kill yourself" or "I hope you die". 

Yeah I honestly know nothing about Stoddard. I only recently learned who they were and my gateway to that was Stoddard marrying the creep from The Green Mile as a teenager and Stoddard's parents signing off on it and that absolutely horrified me (with my rage being directed at the parents, not the teenager). 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

This is a very good point. It's one thing to support someone you know and care for but to publicly say the things Rashad has said makes me think she is not a good fit for this job.

The hiring is disturbing on a lot of levels. The potential safety of students with someone in charge with a history of skepticism of victims is a huge one. The pretty much automatic embarrassment of the school, as I said before, is another. Her hiring automatically devolves any discussion WITH Phylicia Rashad or even just ABOUT Phylicia Rashad into a talk about Cosby, sexual assault, etc. Any press opportunity.  Tons of concerned parents.  Etc. 

Heck, her hiring doesn't just make the school look insensitive and incompetent for hiring her, it makes them look CORRUPT.  Like this is expected payback for the money and publicity Cosby, Debbie Allen, and Rashad brought to HBCUs, but most specifically Howard, in the past. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

You can be a bully and still be bullied yourself.

Jennifer Lopez can have as many relationships she wants but when you move from one serious one to the next one so quickly it's hard to take them seriously.

Ellen's stated reasons for ending her talk show doesn't do anything to repair her image. I liked her sitcom in the 90s.  But after that I didn't care for her. I could never really explain why but after the past few years I feel like I must have sensed something.

I felt the same way about Bill Cosby. Going back to his Fat Albert days I actively disliked him. It took almost 40 years but now I can say I was right to not like him.

I wish Ellen would go away now, though I suppose her staff needs time to find new jobs.   I was a huge fan, though I stopped watching her daily talk show a few years ago, due to my schedule.  Still, I held her in high regard.  So, the revelations about how she really is as a person hit me hard. I’m still so disappointed. I hadn’t felt that way since Lance Armstrong.  🙁 

Even though the Teigin bullying allegations happened years ago, she was an adult.  I’ve always felt that if you are deep inside a good person, it gets out and if you are deep inside a bad person, that gets out too.  So, I’m wary of Teigen. We all make mistakes, but we learn and grow.   She always seems to be having issues...she doesn’t seem to be able to settle down and be content...which seems common in Hollywood.   I hope she can find peace.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, truthaboutluv said:

But when it all blew up spectacularly in his face, he settled in his life with "sweet, girl next door" Jennifer Garner and had his camp push the narrative that he was always this normal Boston guy next door and J Lo's diva-ness wasn't the kind of life he wanted. Yeah, okay. 

I feel like if Affleck would just adjust his career goals a bit he would probably be a lot healthier. It seems like every time his life blows up it is when his career is on a massive upswing. Like he was in a bunch of small time movies like Mallrats and Dazed and Confused he seemed normal. Then he got Armageddon, he was Jack Ryan and was a big budget leading man engaged to J. lo and his life fell apart and he kind of went away from the spotlight for awhile.

Then he got married to Garner started directing like mid budget crime movies and seemed to be doing on again. But then Argo won the Oscar and he was A-List again and he cheated on his wife and his life fell apart again. So if the guy would just be content being like a character actor or directing mid budget or indie movies he would probably be ok.

2 hours ago, Dejana said:

There was also a cachet to being an internet/social media edgelord and you got validation for dunking on someone. A lot of comments praised as snark at the time crossed the line into bullying. Obviously, death threats were never okay, though some would try to write off such comments to a public figure as a "joke". People can dwell in their snarky disdain of a celebrity, it can turn to loathing and hatred, and you stop seeing the target of your wrath as an actual human being. Now, there is much more of a sense that the "online you" is still you, and that there's a responsibility for the things you say. Not that people aren't still vile on the internet, but there are more calls for accountability about it.

My wife really likes Pink, although I don't. But man, is there any non-reality show celebrity who uses their kids as like a fame accessory more than she does? They sing on her album, show up at awards shows and my wife just shows me a trailer for a new documentary about her family on your with her. I just find it super annoying.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My wife really likes Pink, although I don't. But man, is there any non-reality show celebrity who uses their kids as like a game accessory more than she does?

The Smith/Pinkett family? 

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My wife really likes Pink, although I don't. But man, is there any non-reality show celebrity who uses their kids as like a game accessory more than she does? They sing on her album, show up at awards shows and my wife just shows me a trailer for a new documentary about her family on your with her. I just find it super annoying.

Blue Ivy is a Grammy winner. Jennifer Lopez had her daughter sing in her halftime show. It's interesting to see the range of feelings that celebrities have about their children being in the spotlight. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Blue Ivy is a Grammy winner. Jennifer Lopez had her daughter sing in her halftime show. It's interesting to see the range of feelings that celebrities have about their children being in the spotlight. 

Man, this is odd. I do not care for Beyoncé or Lopez at all....mmmm.. I hadn’t even thought about their kid thing.  

• Love 5

John Mulaney is reportedly dating Olivia Munn:

"This is very new, they're taking it slowly," a source close to Mulaney adds. "They met at church in Los Angeles."

Reps for the two could not be reached for immediate comment.

Mulaney, 38, and Munn, 40, first connected socially several years ago and remained friendly. In December, the actress sent the comedian well wishes after Mulaney entered rehab following a relapse in his decades-long journey with addiction.

"Sending SO MUCH love and support to John Mulaney. You got this," she tweeted at the time.

• Useful 4

Yikes.  This just feels messy.  He was using last year and did rehab in September.  He relapsed in October.  He went into a longer rehab in December.  He hasn't been out for long and he's been living in a sober living situation. 

Aren't newly sober people supposed to wait a while before starting a new relationship?  He just announced his divorce. 

Yet he's already in the "taking it public" stage with Munn?

I know I don't know everything about the situation but yikes is the first thing that came to mind.  Yikes and disappointed.  I wouldn't necessarily care if it weren't for all the other stuff.  

• Love 23
(edited)
13 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Welp I think we know why Mulaney wanted a divorce.  I feel bad for his wife.

How long before I can't sit on my typing fingers anymore and say something like 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6b477a4a38696c793149706132513d3d2d3731353339353436332e313539323566643036336462393263373231323633343530303736342e676966.gif

Too late.  I feel really bad for Annamarie Tendler too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Don't think Howard is concerned about hiring Rashad when they haven't rescinded Bill Cosby's honorary degree. Lots of people in the Black community still think he was railroaded.

Does that overlap with the people who think OJ Simpson never should have been charged? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

So if the guy would just be content being like a character actor or directing mid budget or indie movies he would probably be ok.

I don't know... just from that timeline, it seems like he can't handle having too much money and power/influence. It's not about his career so much as the opportunity for bad behavior. (I don't want to call it abuse of power as the Hilarie Burton story is the only one I've heard of.)

But that was the sentiment in the aughts and into the 2010s: certain young women in the public eye were vacuous airheads and/or overly sexual, they were setting bad examples for impressionable girls, so dish out all the scorn and contempt on those "bimbos" that you want. 

I think this is a tough debate to have because the 2000s were a terrible time for culture. 

Welp I think we know why Mulaney wanted a divorce.  I feel bad for his wife.

He was using last year and did rehab in September.  He relapsed in October.  He went into a longer rehab in December.  He hasn't been out for long and he's been living in a sober living situation. 

I know that sometimes when a celebrity divorce is announced, the couple has been separated for a long time. But this doesn't feel like one of those situations, especially with his ex-wife's statement.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I know that sometimes when a celebrity divorce is announced, the couple has been separated for a long time. But this doesn't feel like one of those situations, especially with his ex-wife's statement.

It's true and normally, that's what I'd assume here too even if the wife expressed sadness.  The tricky part about it, though, is that so many of his past months were in environments where I doubt he'd be running into Olivia Munn to strike up a relationship which is why I think this predates his rehab stints and well before he announced his divorce. 

I was reading online earlier and apparently there were rumors he was a cheater which I hadn't heard until recently. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 3

J.Lo & Ben makes me laugh. Two egotistical jackasses who got super lucky when it comes to being famous. Sure she was a good dancer on In Living Color but other than that? Ben definitely didn't write most of Good Will Hunting & he isn't that good of an actor. All I know is if this means new J.Lo music then Ashanti better get her vocal chords warmed up. 

On the topic of John Mulaney. I have many thoughts. Some angry some sad. I know she had removed his name off her instagram right when he entered rehab & never put it back up. So I don't think this is something new. The thing with him & Olivia won't work out. I would put $$ on that. Ultimately as long as he isn't diddling little kids or raping people or practicing cannibalism(I see you Armie Hammer) I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

It's true and normally, that's what I'd assume here too even if the wife expressed sadness.  The tricky part about it, though, is that so many of his past months were in environments where I doubt he'd be running into Olivia Munn to strike up a relationship which is why I think this predates his rehab stints and well before he announced his divorce. 

According to the source who says they’re dating, they met at church. If that’s true it’s unlikely the relationship predates his rehab given his public stance on religion in the past. 
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he got sober, re-found religion and upended his entire life. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

I read the wrong story. Sorry. I have a feeling that they were going to an AA or Drug rehab program that took place at the church. Hence the reason they met in church. 

Edited by Dancingjaneway
Do'h!
  • Useful 3