Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

A guy who does do it for me is Trevor Noah. Not only is he gorgeous, but his voice and speaking cadence are sexy as hell. And he’s back on the market. He and Minka Kelly have apparently broken up. 

Same here. He has a great smile and I love all his accents. Especially his Russian one. 

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Poor Jason. He's just trying to do his job and keep people safe and Rick comes at him like a typical entitled dick. Love the manager rolling her eyes at him at the end. Team Costco!

Why are people acting like wearing a mask while they shop is the worst thing to happen to them in...oh, right, he's a rich white guy. NVM

What's even worse is that Rick posted bail for Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17-year-old self-proclaimed militia member in Kenosha, Wisconsin, who killed two Black Lives Matter protestors with his AR-15. 😡

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, cynicat said:

The question for me is, why the hell is Ricky Schroeder shopping at Costco?

He's not.   He knew they hadn't dropped their policy (which actual CDC guidance says they don't have to and you still have to wear a mask if the business requires it) so he went to make a scene.   It was all for attention.

• Useful 7
  • Love 8

It's being reported by the NY Times that Melinda Gates is leaving Bill because of the response to a sexual harassment claim and a number of visits with Jeffrey Epstein between 2011 and 2014.  The Daily Beast claims that he visited Jefferey dozens of times during time period (The NYT may claim the same, but I can't get to it because of a paywall).

• Useful 6
42 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a male comedian I find really attractive. Most are OK but some are downright ugly.

For me it's almost always about the writing. If the writing is good I can watch shows that have less than appealing leads.  If the writing is subpar I can overlook it if I really like the lead.  The Blacklist was an example of this.  I adore James Spader but even his presence wasn't enough to keep me. I bailed on it earlier this year.  

See, I can watch a show if the leads are women and unattractive, or at least one of the leads is a woman, like The Blacklist.  Although I never watched that show, I didn't ding it for the unattractive part. I didn't watch it because I wasn't interested in the premise. I have had a James Spader thing since sex, lies and videotapeThat should have drawn me in, but...nah. It just didn't.

There are something like 400 scripted English-speaking TV shows available, so I can be picky. And with subtitles, I can hit the non-English speaking shows as well. On top of that, there are a lot of shows I'm happy to watch a second, or third time. I'll watch the first three seasons of Haven, almost all of The West Wing and now I'm rewatching Death in Paradise. Of those, TWW is the one dominated by male leads. 

I'm totally done with shows about mediocre white dudes in the middle of a midlife crisis. I have no interest in family sitcoms, or really any sitcoms. 

We are all picky about what we watch and my criteria isn't the criteria for everyone. At the same time, it's going to take a lot for me to give any of my viewing time to assholes. 

• Love 5

Well I'm not a woman or gay so I don't know if John mulaney is hot, but my impression is at least compared to other male comedians he is pretty attractive.

And I think he is very talented and hilarious as a stand up.   

The idea we have to agree with or approve of everything about actors or actresses or comedians we watch I find preposterous.  

Just because I watched silver spoons 40 years ago doesn't mean I agree with Ricky schroeder acting out recently.  

I can disapprove of john mulaneys marital actions and still find him talented and worthy of my entertainment time. 

If I only watched actors or actresses whose political or personal views I agreed with I'd have pretty limited selections.  

They are human and can disagree with me. 

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well I'm not a woman or gay so I don't know if John mulaney is hot, but my impression is at least compared to other male comedians he is pretty attractive.

And I think he is very talented and hilarious as a stand up.   

The idea we have to agree with or approve of everything about actors or actresses or comedians we watch I find preposterous.  

Just because I watched silver spoons 40 years ago doesn't mean I agree with Ricky schroeder acting out recently.  

I can disapprove of john mulaneys marital actions and still find him talented and worthy of my entertainment time. 

If I only watched actors or actresses whose political or personal views I agreed with I'd have pretty limited selections.  

They are human and can disagree with me. 

I think this is a lot of, “of course.”

I don’t watch any standup, so I’m not going to feel compelled to watch even a second of a bland white guy (Mulaney) and a bridge troll (Davidson) doing standup. Now, throw Jason Momoa on stage and I’m going to give it a chance. I don’t care what Mulaney has done, or what his politics are. That’s not my point. I don’t know or care about his wife. I am bothered by how many people are throwing out excuses for him for no discernible reason. I don’t know why this guy is worthy of that. 

However, I’m not going to give my entertainment dollars to assholes like Schroeder. And I’m glad I never have given my entertainment dollars to him. It’s how the free market economy works. I get to choose where I spend my dollars based on whatever criteria I choose. Like I will no longer watch any Johnny Depp projects, but I acknowledge and regret that I have in the past. Although not the Pirates movies, because those were just shit. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

He's not.   He knew they hadn't dropped their policy (which actual CDC guidance says they don't have to and you still have to wear a mask if the business requires it) so he went to make a scene.   It was all for attention.

Well since he has a membership, we see them refunding it, he most likely did in fact shop at Costco which doesn’t seem at all odd given his current level of fame.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

We don't have to agree with them.  But for me personally if I find an artist to have done something I find offensive I'm not going to watch/listen/read whatever they are doing.  In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but it makes me feel better.

57 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

. I don’t care what Mulaney has done, or what his politics are. That’s not my point. I don’t know or care about his wife. I am bothered by how many people are throwing out excuses for him for no discernible reason. I don’t know why this guy is worthy of that. 

I barely know who Mulaney is so his personal life is uninteresting to me but I do find it odd that people get so defensive and passionate about celeb's private lives.  Remember when people were wearing Team Aniston or Team Jolie tee shirts?

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 7

Yeah, I agree but that's a tough stance for me with certain actors.  One of my all time favorite movies is Midnight Cowboy with Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight.   Every time I see the movie, I try to block Voight's politics out of my mind and just enjoy the movie.  

I never knew anything about Mulaney until I saw him host SNL.  The only thing I remember is that his voice was high and whiny and I couldn't listen to him anymore after about 15 minutes..

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

The only thing I remember is that his voice was high and whiny and I couldn't listen to him anymore after about 15 minutes..

If you find his actual voice whiny and annoying then never ever ever watch Big Mouth.

• Love 1

If it weren't for boards like this I would never know who John Mulaney was.  I get that he is considered successful in comedy, but not in a way that really permeates out into the broader public awareness.  He isn't a front facing SNL cast member whose face is really recognizable.  He hasn't made the successful leap from stand up to tv sitcom that the more recognizebale stand ups have.  He doesn't have a night time talk show.  He just doesn't register for me.  He isn't horribly offensive so he hasn't made a name for himself by becoming more infamous than famous.

Honestly the most I hear about him is because of his addictions.  This past week is the most I have ever heard about him and it is all in relation to his personal life.  I still couldn't name anything he's been in or done before this past week really except maybe he was a writer for SNL.

• Love 14

I've heard of Mulaney because of some of the multi-fandom spaces I frequent-he seems to be a very popular comedian among younger people in general. And I saw an interview with him on Colbert's show once where they got into a rather interesting philosophical discussion at one point. 

But that's the extent of my awareness of him. I've never seen any of his standup and don't know squat about him as a person in general. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

We don't have to agree with them.  But for me personally if I find an artist to have done something I find offensive I'm not going to watch/listen/read whatever they are doing.  In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but it makes me feel better.

I barely know who Mulaney is so his personal life is uninteresting to me but I do find it odd that people get so defensive and passionate about celeb's private lives.  Remember when people were wearing Team Aniston or Team Jolie tee shirts?

I can almost guarrantee you every single artist we all watch or listen to has done something like offensive. 

And I'm not sure how reconcile these two statements.  You won't watch anything if they do so eyeing you find offensive but then state you don't get how people are so passionate about a celebs private lives?  Aren't you being passionate about it by denying to watch or see anything they do if you find it offensive 

And I'm not defending John mulaney or his marriage break up.  But people are flawed.   They still can have talent and deserve a chance to earn a living.  

• Love 6

That tall child has womanly hips ;)

I do like stand up. Not as much as I used to but I'm still aware of it enough to recognize the names of a lot of comedians and to have watched their Netflix specials (except for the offensive dude bros). 

I am someone who can be more attracted to someone if they're smart or charming and stand up comedy is a perfect avenue for that. Are Bo Burnham and James Acaster stunning specimens of manhood? No. But they win you over. I get why Mulaney's comedy inspires people to like him as a person.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

If it weren't for boards like this I would never know who John Mulaney was.  I get that he is considered successful in comedy, but not in a way that really permeates out into the broader public awareness.  He isn't a front facing SNL cast member whose face is really recognizable.  He hasn't made the successful leap from stand up to tv sitcom that the more recognizebale stand ups have.  He doesn't have a night time talk show.  He just doesn't register for me.  He isn't horribly offensive so he hasn't made a name for himself by becoming more infamous than famous.

Honestly the most I hear about him is because of his addictions.  This past week is the most I have ever heard about him and it is all in relation to his personal life.  I still couldn't name anything he's been in or done before this past week really except maybe he was a writer for SNL.

He actually did have a sitcom that sucked, just a bad show.  

Fans of stand up know him.  He is well known in that circle.  

2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I am someone who can be more attracted to someone if they're smart or charming and stand up comedy is a perfect avenue for that. Are Bo Burnham and James Acaster stunning specimens of manhood? No. But they win you over. I get why Mulaney's comedy inspires people to like him as a person.

This. A good sense of humor is always an attractive trait in a person :).

There's also people, be they actors, comedians, musicians, etc., that I'll see others going absolutely gaga over and looks-wise, they don't do anything for me...but I've also never seen any of their work. Who knows, maybe my opinion would change if I saw them in their element, or in just the right show or movie or something. 

• Love 9

There's also people, be they actors, comedians, musicians, etc., that I'll see others going absolutely gaga over and looks-wise, they don't do anything for me...but I've also never seen any of their work. Who knows, maybe my opinion would change if I saw them in their element, or in just the right show or movie or something. 

*cough* Benedict Cumberbatch *cough* Tom Hiddleston *cough*

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And I'm not sure how reconcile these two statements.  You won't watch anything if they do so eyeing you find offensive but then state you don't get how people are so passionate about a celebs private lives?  Aren't you being passionate about it by denying to watch or see anything they do if you find it offensive 

Me boycotting someone because I don't agree with something they have done or said is not the same as me going on Twitter to defend a celeb or donning a tee shirt to show my allegiance to a spurned wife or whoever.

• Love 17
35 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And I'm not defending John mulaney or his marriage break up.  But people are flawed. 

This is an important distinction to me. I mean break it down... 

John Mulaney... 

... Is an addict:  unfortunate, but we all know that's a very complicated situation, especially to judge from the outside. 

... Is getting divorced and is quickly with another woman:  the worst possible interpretation of this (based on a lot of speculation) seems to be immoral, but nothing illegal.  But even on the immorality scale, it's nothing that millions of people aren't doing in their own lives routinely. He's not Bill Cosby. He's not Harvey Weinstein. Heck, I'd even argue he's not even Rick Schroeder. 

I'll be slightly wary of Mulaney in future endeavors, but personally don't ride my horse high enough, so to speak, to feel qualified to judge him. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Won't lie..  this conversation about John Mulaney had me scratching my head.  I thought he was dead.  Then I realized I was mixing him up with the great John Mahoney.  D'oh. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

This is an important distinction to me. I mean break it down... 

John Mulaney... 

... Is an addict:  unfortunate, but we all know that's a very complicated situation, especially to judge from the outside. 

... Is getting divorced and is quickly with another woman:  the worst possible interpretation of this (based on a lot of speculation) seems to be immoral, but nothing illegal.  But even on the immorality scale, it's nothing that millions of people aren't doing in their own lives routinely. He's not Bill Cosby. He's not Harvey Weinstein. Heck, I'd even argue he's not even Rick Schroeder. 

I'll be slightly wary of Mulaney in future endeavors, but personally don't ride my horse high enough, so to speak, to feel qualified to judge him. 

Same.

Look, if I cut John Mulaney out of my life for that, there'd be a shit ton of other celebs I'd have to give the same treatment. For now, I will continue to enjoy his comedy and be grateful that I'm not married to him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Same.

Look, if I cut John Mulaney out of my life for that, there'd be a shit ton of other celebs I'd have to give the same treatment. For now, I will continue to enjoy his comedy and be grateful that I'm not married to him.

An amazingly rational statement! 

• Love 4

It’s a mistake to assume that not watching or buying something requires passion. It is a passive act. For me, it means that I simply lose interest in seeing someone once they’ve done something I find offensive.

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

That tall child has womanly hips ;)

That’s the thing he’s sensitive about!!

Personally I find him hilarious so I’ll keep watching his stand up unless he turns out to be another Allen or Cosby.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Me boycotting someone because I don't agree with something they have done or said is not the same as me going on Twitter to defend a celeb or donning a tee shirt to show my allegiance to a spurned wife or whoever.

It's not the same but it's comparable.  You are making the decision to support (going on Twitter to defend them) or not support (boycotting them as a performer) a celebrity based on their personal lives.  Why is one more acceptable than the other based on something that has nothing to do with their artistic ability or performance?

23 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s a mistake to assume that not watching or buying something requires passion. It is a passive act. For me, it means that I simply lose interest in seeing someone once they’ve done something I find offensive.

it's still a choice you are making about a person based on the same principles.  The making of the choice is action. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Personally I find him hilarious so I’ll keep watching his stand up unless he turns out to be another Allen or Cosby.

I might even do so if he said something really regressive, racist, sexist, etc. (outside of a clear joke where it actually was social commentary) and didn't follow that up with a good explanation or apology. But that's different from judging his marriage, or even his drug use. Now if his wife makes some kind of abuse complaints, that would also be totally different. But so far all she's done is made sure we know she wanted to keep the marriage intact and John didn't. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

A guy who does do it for me is Trevor Noah. Not only is he gorgeous, but his voice and speaking cadence are sexy as hell. And he’s back on the market. He and Minka Kelly have apparently broken up. 

16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Same here. He has a great smile and I love all his accents. Especially his Russian one. 

Looks like there's a line! He's literally perfect-his looks, his accent, his brains, his humor, his kindness. Whoever ends up with him is a very fortunate woman. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Wedding News:

Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez have tied the knot!

"They got married," Grande's rep confirms to PEOPLE exclusively. "It was tiny and intimate — less than 20 people. The room was so happy and full of love. The couple and both families couldn't be happier."

They got engaged last December and started dating in January 2020.

Justin Hartley and Sofia Pernas are married!

A source confirms to PEOPLE that the This Is Us actor, 44, and his former The Young and the Restless costar, 31, "recently" tied the knot.

On Sunday night, the newlyweds made their red carpet debut as a couple at the 2021 MTV Movie & TV Awards, where they both could be seen wearing rings on their wedding fingers as they posed on the carpet together.

News of the couple possibly having tied the knot began in early May, when the pair were spotted on the beach in Malibu each wearing bands on their left hand, as seen in photos obtained by Page Six.

They were on The Young and the Restless together (Chrishell Stause, too, I think). It's Justin's third marriage.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

it's still a choice you are making about a person based on the same principles.  The making of the choice is action. 

One requires time and energy, the other does not. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

He's hit or miss with me, but I'm glad I wasn't drinking or eating anything during his Horse in a Hospital bit.  He does have a good sense of comic timing and his body language/facial expressions/gestures are great.  I wasn't finding a particular story in his routine to be funny, so after a couple of minutes, I felt safe to take a sip of water, just as he came out with the punchline and, while the words still weren't really funny, the way he said it had me wearing my drink.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 5/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I kept thinking you guys are talking about Doctor Who actor Peter Davison and it didn't make any sense to me.

Don’t feel bad - I kept reading “John Mulaney” and thinking they were referring to the guy who played Martin Crane (Frasier’s dad).

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:
On 5/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I kept thinking you guys are talking about Doctor Who actor Peter Davison and it didn't make any sense to me.

Don’t feel bad - I kept reading “John Mulaney” and thinking they were referring to the guy who played Martin Crane (Frasier’s dad).

My new fanfic, where Doctor Who and Martin Crane go on a drug fueled Tardis adventure. Come soon to a fever dream near you. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
(edited)

Here’s some Mulany.  Not sure how I feel about it.  Too edgy for my taste.  I’m not amused by jokes about a woman in fear. He also pokes fun of his alcoholism. Even then, he describes major blacking out. Pardon me if it’s already been posted. Went back several pages.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Dejana said:

They were on The Young and the Restless together (Chrishell Stause, too, I think). It's Justin's third marriage.

He loves his soap actresses. His first wife was the beautiful Lindsay Korman. She played Theresa on Passions.

Anyone placing bets yet on how long this marriage will last? 

• LOL 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not really. With the way media is consumed today the default is to not watch something. Regardless, simply making a choice doesn’t require passion. 

Edited by Guest
10 minutes ago, Dani said:

Regardless, simply making a choice doesn’t require passion. 

The closest I've ever gotten to passionately not doing something is I passionately do not drink coffee. The smell makes me nauseous so there is some passion behind that not doing. As to watching stuff. I passionately watch things but don't passionately not watch things. There are a few commercials I passionately change the channel on, usually because the song in the commercial is an earworm and will live in my head for weeks if I hear it, so I passionately hit the mute button, but I wouldn't actively fight against it's being on air, nor would I actively defend my stance against said commercial. I do, though, actively fight my friends when they dare to bring fresh brewed coffee into my vicinity, so I guess the bottom line is, we all pick our battles. 

I cannot, however, think of any celeb/movie/whatever that I have actively defended in a continual way. Like, if someone says "there's no point going to Disney if you don't have kids" I will point out the many, many ways in which Disney is better without kids, but if they push back I just let them live in ignorance, the fools Muahhahahhaaa Disney is mine, all MINE!!!! 

Oh, where was I? Right, I will defend in a humourous way until I get bored then just drop it and move on, but there are people who will fight for a celeb as if they were fighting to save their own baby and that, to me, is just...a weird use of your time on this earth when said celeb most likely doesn't even know you exist. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Enero said:

He loves his soap actresses. His first wife was the beautiful Lindsay Korman. She played Theresa on Passions.

Anyone placing bets yet on how long this marriage will last? 

It's so specific! He hasn't been in daytime TV for years. It's like Rod Stewart and blonde models, except Justin only has eyes for brunette soap actresses.

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Maybe Bill Gates cut a check to John Mulaney and Olivia Munn to provide a distraction.  Its weird that sparked so much discussion.

Even before the articles alleging that Melinda Gates was alarmed by Bill's ties to Epstein and that there were affairs/unwanted advances with other women, that annual vacation with his ex-girlfriend would have been a big red flag for many:

...Gates and Winblad continued to spend a long weekend on the beach together once a year even after he married Melinda in 1994 — and it seems to have been an agreed-upon dynamic with Melinda.

Time‘s Walter Isaacson wrote a profile on Bill Gates’ personality and close relationship in 1997 in which Winblad, and his arrangement with Melinda, are clearly outlined

Another of Gates’ vacation companions is Ann Winblad, the software entrepreneur and venture capitalist he dated during the 1980s,” Isaacson writes. “They met in 1984 at a Ben Rosen-Esther Dyson computer conference and started going on ‘virtual dates’ by driving to the same movie at the same time in different cities and discussing it on their cell phones. For a few years she even persuaded him to stop eating meat, an experiment he has since resolutely abandoned.”

“They broke up in 1987, partly because Winblad, five years older, was more ready for marriage,” the article continues. “But they remain close friends. ‘When I was off on my own thinking about marrying Melinda,’ Gates says, ‘I called Ann and asked for her approval.’ She gave it. ‘I said she’d be a good match for him because she had intellectual stamina.’ Even now, Gates has an arrangement with his wife that he and Winblad can keep one vacation tradition alive. Every spring, as they have for more than a decade, Gates spends a long weekend with Winblad at her beach cottage on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, where they ride dune buggies, hang-glide and walk on the beach."

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 1

All this stuff about Bill Gates coming out is surprising. Maybe because I've seen many Bill Gates interviews and a more awkward person you could not find. So to discover that he's been a womanizer for many years is ... well, odd.

• Love 9

They got engaged last December and started dating in January 2020.

Good for them? Hard to feel any kind of way about a guy I know nothing about. But it's even wilder to me that someone would meet right before the US started to quarantine and it would end up in a marriage. I know lots of people have had babies over the last year but I've been getting so used to breakup stories. 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I cannot, however, think of any celeb/movie/whatever that I have actively defended in a continual way.

A healthy attitude! 

See the "Stan Culture" topic for the reverse... 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Don't judge me!

Google just told me he's now dating that girl from Bridgerton. Somehow meeting her in the middle of a Pandemic. And somewhere in there, Cindy Crawford's daughter (who a picture shows is pretty much a younger doppelganger of her Supermodel mother). So along with Ariana, I guess we can conclude he's definitely got game. 

• Love 6