Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

My thoughts on Chrissy is that the popularity went to her head. I remember when she first started getting attention on Twitter because she would tweet funny things. Buzzfeed always had articles about her funny tweets and clapbacks. Everyone celebrating that and telling her how hilarious she is, probably made her think she can say whatever she wanted to whoever she wanted and people would be on her side. I think that's also one of the reasons she lives her life so publicly on social media. She thrives on the attention and people telling her how funny/relatable she is.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

She has to be one of the most toxic celebs. I don’t get her appeal at all. I am a fan of her husband’s. He’s always come across as nice and classy, but the fact he’s married to Chrissy makes me wonder about him. 

He's no prince. His bad behavior is in person, not via social media. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 3

I haven't weighed in on Toobin before now because I wanted to check something out on my next Zoom meeting (which was last night) to be sure.  When your camera is off, your screen goes black and there's a little drawing that represents a person.  Unless there were enough people in this meeting that all the pictures were the size of postage stamps, then I don't buy that he thought his camera was off.  Seriously-what if he'd been at a board room table and someone caught his arm subtly moving up and down?  Would he get away with saying something like "It was happening under the table-I thought I was being discrete ."?  No, he wouldn't.

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

As noted in the In Memoriam forum, actress Lisa Banes has died after being struck by a hit and run driver.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/06/15/lisa-banes-dies-after-upper-west-side-hit-and-run/

This is heartbreaking. I had a chance to watch her in a production of The Niceties, and I met her at the theatre since I worked there. She was really nice. I'm sad. 

Fuck hit and run drivers. I hope this person is punished to the fullest extent of the law.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Just curious, but what has he done?

Demanding, entitled, insulting/degrading to wait staff/hotel staff. Nothing out of the ordinary for a celebrity, but that kind of stuff the "nice guys" don't do. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Useful 8
  • Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Zella said:

Someone else is popping up now to say that she bullied him so much that he became suicidal over it. I don't know the full story--his name is Michael Costello?--but I did see his Instagram post about it, which included a screenshot of some of her messages to him. I think every time she tries to do one of these apologies, more people are going to come out of the woodwork with receipts. 

Michael Costello is a fashion designer who competed in Project Runway some years ago.  He specializes in formal women's wear and has dressed quite a few celebs for the red carpet.

Apparently, several years back, there was a 'photoshopped comment' (I don't know what that means exactly) online that was racist and attributed to him.  Teigen went after him online, calling him a racist and proclaiming that his career was over.  He sent her personal messages to explain the situation and she ignored him as well as the proof he provided that the original post was not his and had been taken down for being fraudulent.  She and her stylist specifically indicated that they were threatening brands that might be considering working with him in order to derail his career.  Naturally, this was personally devastating to him and he became depressed and considered suicide in the aftermath.

Unfortunately for Chrissy, Michael saved the receipts including their personal correspondence and she looks like an ignorant jacka** and seemingly enjoyed attempting to end this guy's career.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/entertainment/michael-costello-chrissy-teigen-bullying/index.html

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Michael Costello is a fashion designer who competed in Project Runway some years ago.  He specializes in formal women's wear and has dressed quite a few celebs for the red carpet.

Apparently, several years back, there was a 'photoshopped comment' (I don't know what that means exactly) online that was racist and attributed to him.  Teigen went after him online, calling him a racist and proclaiming that his career was over.  He sent her personal messages to explain the situation and she ignored him as well as the proof he provided that the original post was not his and had been taken down for being fraudulent.  She and her stylist specifically indicated that they were threatening brands that might be considering working with him in order to derail his career.  Naturally, this was personally devastating to him and he became depressed and considered suicide in the aftermath.

Unfortunately for Chrissy, Michael saved the receipts including their personal correspondence and she looks like an ignorant jacka** and seemingly enjoyed attempting to end this guy's career.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/entertainment/michael-costello-chrissy-teigen-bullying/index.html

Thank you! I read his statement but wasn't sure who he was and was not familiar with whatever incident had triggered her behavior. 

I get the impression that her bullying behavior has long extended way past what was visible on Twitter, and every time she tries to pop up now, there will be more people with receipts like him.

I did notice that she tried to do an everyday post on Instagram about one of her kid's preschool graduation several hours after her "apology," and people were not having it. The comments are asking her about Costello and calling her out for deleting comments that are critical of her apology. I imagine she really did think she could just post her apology and go on her merry social media way and is now realizing that's probably not happening. At this point, I'm not even sure why she still has comments on. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Demanding, entitled, insulting/degrading to wait staff/hotel staff. Nothing out of the ordinary for a celebrity, but that kind of stuff the "nice guys" don't do. 

I am really stunned. He comes across as such a nice, easy going guy.

• Love 6

So, this Teigen person is famous for oversharing and being a bitch on Social Media? That's it?

I hate this. Her sharing her miscarriage seemed to help quite a few women including my sister who is still dealing with her own experience having a stillborn baby. I hate that this was coming from someone like that. I'm grateful my sister doesn't know these things.

You know, there is sharing to form or support a community and then there is just oversharing. Which looks like an addiction.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
(edited)

She has a lot of power and she knows it.  She's had 2 bestselling cookbooks.  I think without John's ($75 million) she's worth about 15-20 on her own.  When you have that much power, people speak up and ask that you take a bit of responsibility for what you put out there in the world.  There's quite a difference in influence between what she puts out online and a teenager writing in a yearbook in the 80s.

When you have 13 million Twitter followers, you know that every time you "clap back" at someone, no matter how big or how small that person is, that person will be harassed by your followers for days on end until it finally subsides.  Therefore I understand people wanting a bit more responsibility from her than you would from some teenager from the past.

This is why the hugely famous don't really do things like this.  Or at least, they shouldn't.  Sometimes I'm pretty shocked at what Ariana Grande will say or do because it's like....... Honey you know that these people will get bullied for weeks on end on your say-so!  Even when local sports commentators in my city do stuff like this I'm disgusted (quoting someone on Twitter who they disagree with).  Because then all their sycophant minions come out and start harassing that person non-stop.  I'm not even talking about someone trolling the commentator.  I'm talking about an innocent person sharing a disagreeing opinion with that commentator, which should totally be allowed. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Apparently, several years back, there was a 'photoshopped comment' (I don't know what that means exactly) online that was racist and attributed to him. 

That's his claim.  For what it's worth, there are people on Twitter pushing back on his claim that he was unfairly maligned.  I put this here just as an FYI because I'd hate for him to take advantage of the fact that Chrissy is Public Enemy #1 to boost his reputation when he just might be a racist SOB. 

• Useful 8
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's his claim.  For what it's worth, there are people on Twitter pushing back on his claim that he was unfairly maligned.  I put this here just as an FYI because I'd hate for him to take advantage of the fact that Chrissy is Public Enemy #1 to boost his reputation when he just might be a racist SOB. 

Ah okay! I was wondering about this because I did read a bit on what he said after it was discussed here, but at the time, I wasn't finding anyone either confirming or denying his account. 

1 hour ago, Zella said:

I think ignoring it just enables it. And her actions go well beyond garden-variety meanness online. She was telling a teenager to commit suicide, not only on a public platform but also in private messages. 

Yet only weeks ago, Teigen’s fan base thought she was Mrs. Wonderful. I never followed her or paid much attention to her stupid antics, but somehow for years even knew that she had a very dark and nasty side, maybe from the Daily Mail UK. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Yet only weeks ago, Teigen’s fan base thought she was Mrs. Wonderful. I never followed her or paid much attention to her stupid antics, but somehow for years even knew that she had a very dark and nasty side, maybe from the Daily Mail UK. 

Oh she still has fans who think she is wonderful. They're still posting comments on her posts to let her know that. I was personally always a little confused by it because I remembered her being really mean to people on Twitter back in the day, but I actually had a really hard time finding articles that talked about it until recently, so I kept wondering if I was thinking of someone else. But I wasn't!  

• Love 6

I think by now if people are active on SM and follow Chrissy they know about her old posts.  Every once in awhile, a group of people bring up her old tweets about Courtney Stodden and Quvenzhané Wallis.  The first time I heard about this, I was shocked!  But I think the first time I heard was a few years ago.

• Love 6

There are lots of stories about celebrities who have a good public persona but are asses behind the scenes, mean to waitstaff, etc. Which makes me think, who is genuinely a good guy or girl. I get Tom Hanks, uh Michael J Fox? Who isn't very prominent nowadays. Who else?

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Which makes me think, who is genuinely a good guy or girl.

Even where I have my own interactions or, more frequently, those related to me by others, to draw on, I don't like making these lists; the positive experience one, two, or a handful of people had shouldn't cast doubt on those who share their own experience of victimization.

Shoving people - especially men, since they're the greatest percentage of predators with the greatest percentage of power in the industry - out there as everyone loves them/I've never heard anything bad about them examples based on reputation (or, more accurately, lack of bad reputation) erects another barrier to victims coming forward, especially given the wide spectrum of fuckery that has been kept under wraps all this time.

There are a few famous men I'd - like anyone, evaluating in the context of what I'd experienced and heard over the years - be quite disappointingly surprised to learn had engaged in sexist, racist, or other egregious bad behavior, but there are exactly zero I'd refuse to believe it about regardless of what was alleged.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

There are lots of stories about celebrities who have a good public persona but are asses behind the scenes, mean to waitstaff, etc. Which makes me think, who is genuinely a good guy or girl. I get Tom Hanks, uh Michael J Fox? Who isn't very prominent nowadays. Who else?

Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo?  I don't think I've heard anything bad about them.  John Krasinski and Emily Blunt?  She's no longer really prominent these days but, when my husband was working in film, it was common knowledge that Sandra Bullock was a sweetheart.  Our friend, also in the business, and his wife loved Lucy Liu and Jennifer Love-Hewitt.  Of course, they could all be hiding their bad sides really well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

Just showing how human beings are complex, and even some "nice guys" are still shitty abusers, Johnny Depp had the reputation of being a fantastic tipper.  

People are complex, especially famous people. Many times their public personas are different from their actual personalities. Even good people can have a bad day and come off rude or curt or mean. 

I try to think of celebrities as likable or not likable. Sometimes, people who say jerky things are funny to me because they match my sense of humor. That makes them likable, but likable to me, not necessarily likable to everyone else. 

Some celebrities that people find likable, I just want to punch in the face. It's like having a different friend group, right?

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I've only ever heard good things about Hugh Jackman, Michael Sheen and David Tennant.

I agree that we shouldn't put anyone on pedestal for being a decent person, but it seems to be the result of decades when a lot of celebrities were acting as douchebags and it was tolerated, especially in the film industry. Some people still justify a lot of bad behavior by saying it is a tough business, with lot of pressure, etc.

And of course, men are usually the ones being singled out as being nice, because it is more expected of women. Even my examples prove that, because I couldn't remember any woman that was ever singled out as being nice, it is more like that's the norm and the ones we can name are those who are the exception, i.e. the not-so-nice.

• Love 9
(edited)
41 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I agree that we shouldn't put anyone on pedestal for being a decent person,

It is a sad state of affairs that we applaud people for being nice. And not even nice. Just not assholes.   

44 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I try to think of celebrities as likable or not likable.

I'm the same way. For years I didn't like Bill Cosby.  Going all the way back to Fat Albert and then the Cosby show.  I just did not like him. And here we are over 30 years later and I feel vindicated.

I like lots of people some people don't. Katherine Heigl comes to mind.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

But ultimately when it comes to celebrities, my default mode is either fan or I'm just indifferent. 

Same.  I don't understand the cult of hate that seems to happen around various celebrities.

• Love 18
15 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Same.  I don't understand the cult of hate that seems to happen around various celebrities.

Blame social media. As I often say, social media is a breeding ground for stan culture and trolls. People become more emboldened by the anonymity of it and become detached from the reality of these are real people. 

3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Even if they didn't do anything all that bad. Remember all the hate dumped on Anne Hathaway several years ago? I mean, it's 100% fine if you don't like her as an actress, or find her irritating in interviews or something, but with all the vitriol she got, you'd swear she deliberately ran over her neighbor's cat and wore its pelt to the Oscars.

This. And no surprise, you'll find that the majority of that vitriol is directed at women. I can't think of one male celebrity who has an almost cult like level of hatred and vitriol aimed at him. But I can sure as hell list you a whole lot of women. God bless the patriarchy and all the misogynistic women doing the misogynistic man's job for them. 

• Love 18
30 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

This. And no surprise, you'll find that the majority of that vitriol is directed at women. I can't think of one male celebrity who has an almost cult like level of hatred and vitriol aimed at him. But I can sure as hell list you a whole lot of women. God bless the patriarchy and all the misogynistic women doing the misogynistic man's job for them. 

Absolutely true. At the same time, more stories are out there about a female celebrity's personality and actions than a male celebrity's. I think I could look at a two dozen photos of female celebrities and recall at least one personal story I've heard about them, even the ones that I don't care about or have never seen in a film/show. That's because I read sites like this and therefore stories about female celebrities pop up and I skim the headlines.

Male celebrities, not so much. Take...hmmm, someone I recognize by sight but have never seen him in anything, Dan Stevens. I think he has super creepy eyes and looks like a guy who would keep someone chained up in their basement, so my reaction to him is negative. However, I don't think I've ever seen a headline popping up about his personality. No, "Dan Stevens says he's never had plastic surgery, but see the before and after photos!", no "Dan Stevens talks about aging and weight gain in Hollywood," no "Dan Stevens attends gets in fight at daughter's softball game."

Female celebrities are always, always, always on display. 

• Love 11

The only man I can think of that I believe falls into this category is Jay Leno.  Maybe this is more of an unpopular opinion, but I have never understood the vitriol he gets.  Unless Conan gave Jay a kidney I don't know about, Jay did not owe him the job at the Tonight Show.  Whenever I would read or hear David Letterman or Conan make their snide comments, I couldn't help but think about mean girls. 

Jay has always struck me as a nice guy, even if I don't find him funny all the time (but I have never thought Conan or David were funny so . . .).  I know he got a lot of grief during the writers strike, but that may have been misdirected.

One of my favorite stories about Jay was a man with a classic car who was dying and reached out to give it to Jay.  Jay insisted on buying it, but the man wouldn't accept money for it because he just wanted to make sure it went to someone who would appreciate it.  Jay took the purchase funds and created a scholarship in the man's name at a college that offered auto mechanics as a degree.

• Love 17

I wasn't sure who Chrissy Teigen was until I googled her yesterday (I'd heard the name, and I thought she was married to John Legend, but I had no idea who SHE was).  Anyway, I will never understand how adults can bully children, and yes, Courtney Stodden was a child when Chrissy targeted them.  They might have looked like Pamela Anderson, but they were sixteen, and was clearly being abused/taken advantage of by an adult man who should have known better.  Telling a teenager in that situation to "take a dirt nap" is reprehensible, and so very ugly.  I'm so over women judging other women (as Courtney identified back then) for cultivating an image or acting a certain way they deem unacceptable.  There is only one right way to be a woman, and if you can't achieve that, you deserve abuse and ridicule. *eyeroll*

I also read some of Chrissy's "funny" tweets from the past, and maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't think they were all that funny, and I'm a person who likes sarcastic, biting humor.  To me, it sounded like she was getting brownie points for saying sarcastic things while being female, but she wasn't that funny.  To each their own, but I just didn't get it.

• Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

The only man I can think of that I believe falls into this category is Jay Leno. 

I feel like even with the Jay Leno thing that was in relation to one particular event - i.e. the Conan saga and people jumping on being Team this or that. So you had the Team Coco people who yes, really did not like Jay Leno.

But even then, I still didn't feel like I saw the kind of truly nasty and hateful things I've read about some female celebrities, said about Leno.

And more importantly, it wasn't this groundswell of "I don't know why, I just really hate him" that you find with some female celebrities. Where there isn't an actual incident or thing but just a trigger that suddenly makes them worthy of being vilified by many and others just jump on the bandwagon. Again, see the example of Anne Hathaway above. 

Regarding the Chrissy Teigan saga, honestly, as someone who has known of Chrissy since her particularly trollish and hateful days, it always baffled me how she was able to pivot from that to this "Yass Queen". Because from my perspective, Chrissy Teigan was very openly and overtly problematic.

But talking about bandwagons again, some decided at some point she was the Queen of the Clapbacks and suddenly many were stanning for her and I couldn't understand why. So I can't say this current fall from grace is in any way shocking or unfair. But more like roosters came home to crow and someone getting their long overdue comeuppance. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 12
(edited)

My husband is a chef and worked in various NYC restaurants over the years and has had some interaction with various celebrities.  Off the top of my head that I can remember.

Jerry Seinfield - not really friendly and wouldn't really interact with any of the staff.  On the flip side, Adam Sandler is very nice and would take the time out to talk to people.

Wolfgang Puck is really nice.  Jerry Orbach - I can't remember how he was personality wise, but that he's cheap.

Ben Stiller - my husband didn't like him, said he was a jerk

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Useful 7
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Jerry Seinfield - not really friendly and wouldn't really interact with any of the staff. 

Running out for some errands but wanted to respond quickly. I believe that about him. He has been very open about this aspect of his personality. Watch Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee and you will see that is how he is in the coffee houses, in the random stores they visit. He isn't mean when he does it.

• Love 5
(edited)

To each one's own, but I will never cosign on the 'Jay Leno's a nice guy who got picked on for reasons  that haters concocted out of thin air ' bandwagon. Check out my earlier posts detailing why. That is all. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6
(edited)

I've been thinking about this...I tend to be a generous tipper, and throughout the pandemic, I've tipped around 50%, closer to 75% if I've gotten a $12 lunch. Wait staff in my state is grossly underpaid. I'm saying "wait staff" but the overwhelming majority are women. Part of my tipping (and overtipping) is based on my desire to support other women.

So when female celebrities are bad tippers/mean to restaurant and hotel staff, it's tinged with a feeling of betraying the sisterhood. It's that "special place in hell for women who don't support other women." So yes, I'm guilty of holding female celebrities to higher standards.

I expect mediocre white dudes who somehow became famous to be total assholes, so it's not a big deal to me when they aren't.

I don't know how to reconcile this, but it's certainly something for me to think on.

Also, all male late night TV hosts* are total assholes and douchebags who relish in mocking, degrading and humiliating women for laughs. So fuck them. If they get any vitriol that's not deserved, who cares? They certainly get accolades they don't deserve either.

(*Craig Ferguson exemption noted.)

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Also, all male late night TV hosts* are total assholes and douchebags who relish in mocking, degrading and humiliating women for laughs. So fuck them. If they get any vitriol that's not deserved, who cares? They certainly get accolades they don't deserve either.

(Craig Ferguson exemption noted.)

Thank you for the exemption. Because I was about to launch a defence of Craig Ferguson  with multiple supporting youtube clips as evidence. Thanks for saving me the time!

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

To each one's own, but I will never cosign on the 'Jay Leno's a nice guy who got picked on for reasons  that haters concocted out of thin air ' bandwagon. Check out my earlier posts detailing why. That is all. 

I don't like Leno.  I wasn't even a Tonight Show fan and I thought how Leno acted during the transition from Carson to him and from him to Conan made him look bad.  Maybe he is a nice guy to fans but I've heard a lot about other comics not liking him.  

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I expect mediocre white dudes who somehow became famous to be total assholes, so it's not a big deal to me when they aren't.

Amen sister.  There are of course exceptions but overall in celebrity world and real life mediocre white guys can be the worst.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Racism, misogyny, classicism etc. all disguised as "late night humour".  Even the beloved Conan did this regularly.  I totally agree.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Racism, misogyny, classicism etc. all disguised as "late night humour".  Even the beloved Conan did this regularly.  I totally agree.  

It's not just late night humor.  Stand up comedy is rampant with all of the above.

• Love 7