Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

I didn't like the joke, but I do like Joy. Knowing her, she didn't mean to come across homophobic. She's always taken up for the gay community, as well as racial minorities, immigrants, everybody. She's not a bigot. She is a comedian and she was looking for a joke at the wrong time.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

She apologized (“forget I ever said that”), so I guess the public is just supposed to make believe it didn’t happen. 

Apologies aren't magic that causes people to forget an incident - they are an opportunity for a person to say they messed up and they're sorry.  I guess she could go live in a cave for a year or something and hope people really do forget about her and what she said but otherwise an apology makes sense,

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/21/2021 at 3:57 PM, stewedsquash said:

I kinda like the whole outfit...

It has a vibe to it that is pleasing. They could be just a few inches longer and it would be perfect (but only if they were still tailored and not bungee/floppy board shorts, and gosh no to if they are the super skinny kind). But I get them, the look, because my middle son has always been a fan of the 80's length shorts. We have always jokingly teased him about them. 

My main problem with the outfit is the footwear he decided to pair with it. I'm more put off by the way he's wearing the mask.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

One would think that via careful choreography and/or CGI, they could have had the 78-year-old performer believably do the fight scene without risking actual injuries- especially considering that this is a well-known star whose iconic character is being revived!

P.S. Any word whether the prpducers learned their lessons from #4 and will avoid either Shia LaBeuof or space aliens?

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

What are they thinking of giving a 78 year old man a fight scene?!? Okay, Harrison Ford was doing fight scenes in the 80s and 90s, but when 2000 or sometime previously before 2000 came along, do these choreographers know that Harrison Ford had previous injuries beforehand? He is a legend and I give him credit for that, but once you reach a certain age, your bones are brittle and liable for arthritis. I don't want to sound negative, but this concerns me.

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 20
(edited)

“The business was set up that we should all envy and admire Meryl because only Meryl got to be the good one,” Stone said. “And everyone should compete against Meryl. I think Meryl is an amazingly wonderful woman and actress. But in my opinion, quite frankly, there are other actresses equally as talented as Meryl Streep. The whole Meryl Streep iconography is part of what Hollywood does to women.”

[...] “That phrasing has been taught,” she concluded. “We’ve been taught that everybody doesn’t get a seat at the table. Once one is chosen, nobody else can get in there.”

She's not wrong. Except it's not unique to actresses. 

Edited for clarity: I mean it happens to women in other industries as well.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

But in my opinion, quite frankly, there are other actresses equally as talented as Meryl Streep. The whole Meryl Streep iconography is part of what Hollywood does to women.”

Cozying up to Harvey Weinstein certainly had its benefits. And not blowing the whistle on his disgusting behavior led to continued success.

59 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

What are they thinking of giving a 78 year old man a fight scene?!? Okay, Harrison Ford was doing fight scenes in the 80s and 90s, but when 2000 or sometime previously before 2000 came along, do these choreographers know that Harrison Ford had previous injuries beforehand? He is a legend and I give him credit for that, but once you reach a certain age, your bones are brittle and liable for arthritis. I don't want to sound negative, but this concerns me.

I would assume that Harrison Ford had to agree to doing the fight scenes. He could have refused. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

Joy didn’t apologize. She told everyone to forget it happened.

And giving her a pass because it’s Joy Behar and she didn’t mean it simply perpetuates the problem of homophobic slurs.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, letter8358 said:

I am 100% on board with what she is saying here.  She is correct Meryl is great but the utter lionization of Meryl and this odd belief that she is perfect for every part is just wrong.  Take Ryan Murphy's 'Prom' on Netflix.  I thought Meryl Streep was miscast in that.  

I also do believe there is a Highlander syndrome that is less forgiving the more marginalized/intersectional the person is.  There is room for many different white male actors across all spheres: action, dramatic, comedic, character etc,  But that room becomes a little smaller when it is non-white men, and a little smaller still when it is white women and a little smaller still when it is non-white women and so on. 

• Love 22
13 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

And giving her a pass because it’s Joy Behar and she didn’t mean it simply perpetuates the problem of homophobic slurs.

She didn’t use a homophobic slur. She made an inappropriate sex joke. To me, there’s a difference between giving someone a pass and using context and history to give someone the benefit of the doubt. 

43 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

She is correct Meryl is great but the utter lionization of Meryl and this odd belief that she is perfect for every part is just wrong.  Take Ryan Murphy's 'Prom' on Netflix.  I thought Meryl Streep was miscast in that.  

Mama Mia!  Ugh.  I think Meryl is great, too, but I couldn't stand watching her in this one (but, she wasn't the only reason I had a problem with it).

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

My first reaction was “did I miss Indiana Jones 4?” Then I remembered that sadly, I did see it, I just want to pretend it doesn't exist (even more so than #2).

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Cozying up to Harvey Weinstein certainly had its benefits. And not blowing the whistle on his disgusting behavior led to continued success.

I would assume that Harrison Ford had to agree to doing the fight scenes. He could have refused. 

Given its Harrison  Ford I am betting he insisted on doing the fight scene himself.   Remember  what it took to get him to give up flying?

• Love 13
(edited)

“I feel ganged up on. I feel bullied and I feel left out and alone.” [...] “It is my wish and dream for all of this to end. I want my life back.”

Britney Spears is speaking today about her conservatorship and wanting it to end and said among other things: she has an implanted IUD (she doesn't want) that her conservators won't allow her to go to the doctor to have it removed, she has been unable to handpick her own attorney and wants him to be removed, and that she wasn't aware that she had permission to petition to end the conservatorship. And that they had her on lithium for five years!

Edit: After Britney spoke, saying she wanted her life back, the video stream went dead due to "technical difficulties" and Britney was heard on the live-stream whispering "it's not technical difficulties."

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 6
18 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Britney Spears is speaking today about her conservatorship and wanting it to end and said among other things: she has an implanted IUD (she doesn't want) that her conservators won't allow her to go to the doctor to have it removed, she has been unable to handpick her own attorney and wants him to be removed, and that she wasn't aware that she had permission to petition to end the conservatorship. And that they had her on lithium for five years!

Edit: After Britney spoke, saying she wanted her life back, the video stream went dead due to "technical difficulties" and Britney was heard on the live-stream whispering "it's not technical difficulties."

It’s an impossibly difficult situation. What is being done to her is absolutely wrong but I have seen so many people spiral out of control because of untreated mental illness. I have my doubts that ending the conservatorship will end well even though it probably is the right decision to end it. 

I feel sorry for Britney but at the same time, I'm not convinced that she's capable of running her own life. Her dad should be booted, and she should get to decide whether she wants to work. I really don't think she needs a baby and fear her money will be gone within a few years if they end the conservatorship.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

People with mental illnesses still have rights. Britney’s situation seems like something out of 1921, not 2021.

2 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

However, the vast, vast majority of people facing mental illness, untreated or not, do not end up in such a restrictive conservatorship; especially not after more than a decade of reasonably stable behavior.  That's because the vast majority of those with mental illness don't have $60 million and a parent who has used them as a meal ticket since they were a kid.

Britney also said she was forcibly medicated when she wanted to leave a tour.  Not cool.

She said she wasn't even allowed to choose her own kitchen cabinets when her kitchen was remodeled.  THAT is crazy.

If nothing else, I think she made the point that her father should not have any part in the conservatorship.  

Yes and that’s why I said it is wrong and needs to end. I am coming from the perspective of someone with a mentally ill sibling. It is difficult to just accept they are going crash and burn repeatedly and nothing will ever help. That doesn’t mean a conservatorship is an acceptable answer. It just mean that there is no good answer. 

1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

Bipolar brother, disabled since his teens, now 59 years old, so 40+ years for me..  Hospitalized in a forensic unit for almost 8 years after committing a felony while manic.  He's got someone who handles his money and a regular visit from a psychiatric nurse who monitors his meds; but I would fight to the death for his right to live where he wants, date who he wants, eat what he wants and live his life as he chooses as long as he is not harming himself or others.

You're right, there is no good answer; but, it seems to me that Britney deserves the chance to live her life.  It also sounds like she doesn't necessarily want the conservatorship to end, just her father removed from the equation as she seems to think that he is responsible for a lot of the most draconian measures that have been taken.  I think she's right and she deserves to be heard and deserves to have her father removed.

I think you misread my post if you think I disagree with anything you said. I just think many fans are living in a fantasy world if they think the conservatorship will go away and Britney will be perfectly fine. 

She does explicitly say she wants it to end. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s an impossibly difficult situation. What is being done to her is absolutely wrong but I have seen so many people spiral out of control because of untreated mental illness. I have my doubts that ending the conservatorship will end well even though it probably is the right decision to end it. 

The really odd thing about the Britney situation is how a judge decided that the best person to manage her life and her mental issues is a parent who decided that an 8 year old should get a job in show business. Were Gary Coleman's parents not available?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 20

Mentally ill people often think they don't need their meds because they "feel fine."  Having said that her dad gets 16k a month to be her conservator.   Time for the gravy train to end.

• Love 15
(edited)

How would anyone of us know she is mentally ill?  Isn't the person who decided that her father?  Why are we taking him at his word?  It seems like he has ulterior motives.  

And if we're just talking about things like depression and anxiety, I think she's got good cause, and it'd be harder for me to find people NOT experiencing those systems in the past year.  

If this diagnosis is based on Britney Spears' incident with the paparazzi, that was 15 years ago!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19
11 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How would anyone of us know she is mentally ill?  Isn't the person who decided that her father?  Why are we taking him at his word?  It seems like he has ulterior motives.  

No, it wasn’t her father he decided that. She is evaluated by doctors many times. Depression and anxiety wouldn’t be enough to get a conservatorship. 

1 minute ago, AgentRXS said:

I can't imagine any mental illness where you are stable enough to work and go on tour, but aren't free enough to drive your own car or can't decide your own choice in birth control (or lack thereof). I have no doubt that Britney probably needs mood stabilizing meds in order to function, but so do many people.  Maybe she needs a convservatorship, but it definitely should not be Mr. Spears any longer.

A symptom of many types of mental illnesses is impulsive and risky behavior. So people can be capable of working a stable job and make really poor and dangerous decisions in their personal life. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sorry if this was already posted but this is Britney's transcript.  This situation is INSANE!!!!!!!!  I'm not going to type out loud what I wish to happen to Britney's father.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/britney-spears-full-statement-conservatorship-1235003940/

If it was already posted, I missed it. I read through everything and cried. On one hand, Britney is much more capable than some people would like everyone to believe-touring and working in general-yet there is still this innocence about her. Anyone with a heart should have made a point to protect her due to this innocence, but it was exploited. It is especially wrong when it's at the hands of the person whose job it is to protect you. 

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

On the one hand, kind of rich coming from him of all people, but on the other hand, good for him.

I know it's unpopular, but I cut Justin slack for being young and dumb. I'm sure he's grown over the years, and no one is perfect. As a fan, it makes me really sad Britney's life turned out like this, but it must really hurt Justin. I know it was many years ago and he's married with a family of his own. But that young, beautiful talented girl who had the world at her fingertips was his first love.  

• Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

People make poor and dangerous decisions in their personal life every day but they're still in charge of their own back account, kitchen cabinets, and uterus.  

Of course and I’m not saying that she shouldn’t be in charge. I am saying that it’s a misconception to assume that a person holding a stable job means they are capable of managing other areas of their life. 

I know someone who to outsiders appeared to be completely stable but on their downtime would drive upwards of 100mph (sometimes after drinking) and run from cops. They were free to make extremely poor decisions which was a symptom of their mental illness. I’m saying it’s impossible to look at Britney or anyone else and know what their mental state is. 

33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I am finding it really hard to believe that Britney has been evaluated by many  objective, legitimate doctors many times over the past 15 years and declared mentally ill every time.  On her entire Wikipedia page I saw one mention of an order in 2014 to move her conservatorship to someone besides Jamie when he was ill, but that's it.  

Why do you find that hard to believe? This whole thing started when Britney was but under a psychiatric hold after she, reportedly, locked herself and her kids in a bathroom and the police had to be called. Mental illness doesn’t just go away. 

Edited by Guest

I think Justin is one of many men who exploited Britney in her life, but I also think it’s possible that he does genuinely does feel bad for her. They’ve known each other since they were kids. I don’t he ever thought her life would turn out this way.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That was 13 years ago.  Who is in the same mental state they were 13 years ago and would like decisions to be made about their lives based on that today?

There's a difference between mental state and mental illness.  If someone is mentally ill they very well could have that illness all their lives.  Meds may alleviate the symptoms but don't cure it.  But because the meds address the symptoms the person may think they don't need it anymore.

Just because her mental healrh records have nit been made public(and they should not be) does not mean the evaluations were nit done. 

Yes other people with mental illness don't get conservatorships.  Does not mean it not necessary in this case.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That was 13 years ago.  Who is in the same mental state they were 13 years ago and would like decisions to be made about their lives based on that today?

There is a difference between mental state and mental illness. Mental illness does not go away so, yes, if she was diagnosed with a mental illness 13 years ago she would still be diagnosed with one today. The conservatorship is overseen by the courts which does mean regular evaluations. That doesn’t mean they are making the right decisions.