Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I feel really bad for Britney. Hopefully, the judge really heard her and will remove her family from the conservatorship. Hopefully, the conservatorship will go to an independent and ethical party. I wish Britney nothing but the best. 🙏

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 23
16 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Would it be possible for someone to hired an attorney for Brittany? Say some concerned citizens started a Gofundme to help...

The "Free Britney" documentary is on YouTube.  You might find it interesting.  I don't know the answer to this though, but there are a lot of people out there who seem to really care.  A lot of powerful celebrities have expressed their support for her today so who knows?

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The "Free Britney" documentary is on YouTube.  You might find it interesting.  I don't know the answer to this though, but there are a lot of people out there who seem to really care.  A lot of powerful celebrities have expressed their support for her today so who knows?

I really do think there are lots of good people in this world. I wish there were more of them in Britney's life rather than all the users.

• Love 11
(edited)

Mom Lynne "Concerned"

If her mom is so concerned, where has she been all this time? Has she not spoken to her daughter in years? (Though, if Jamie is half as controlling of Britney as she claimed in court, I wouldn't be surprised if he had her house bugged.)

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I feel really bad for Britney. Hopefully, the judge really heard her and will remove her family from the conservatorship. Hopefully, the conservatorship will go to an independent and ethical party. I wish Britney nothing but the best. 🙏

Yes, the conservatorship needs to be removed from her family's control. We don't know Britney, don't have any idea how she behaves, thinks, makes decisions, etc. So, just in case she's not as stable as she should be, she needs some kind of protection from all the unsavory characters (gold diggers) who are drawn to wealthy celebs. I hope the judge can help her in this regard.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

That transcript broke my heart. I can't imagine anyone hearing that and not thinking something needs to change. If the court does NOTHING regardless of those pretty words the judge spoke at the end, then I'm throwing in with the bribery conspiracies. 

• Love 2

I think Britney was going through hell with a custody battle with Federline and the paparazzi tormented her until (Maybe) she had a mental breakdown.

I can't confidently say anything about her mental health. Even though she admits she doesn't believe in therapy, she later says she probably needs it after everything she's been through. But I do KNOW she was tormented by the paparazzi for years and I 100% believe that they set her up with the therapist in Westlake. Hell, even if they couldn't find someone to make home visits (doubtful), with the pandemic, so many therapists have moved to video calls. They wanted her to be caught by the paparazzi when she was vulnerable and be embarrassed and look unstable. How cruel to repeatedly traumatize her (and, according to her, to enjoy it).

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

That transcript broke my heart. I can't imagine anyone hearing that and not thinking something needs to change. If the court does NOTHING regardless of those pretty words the judge spoke at the end, then I'm throwing in with the bribery conspiracies. 

What did the judge say at the end? And is this the same judge that's been on the case since the beginning, or have there been different ones?

I also think there's something inherently not right about Britney's money being what finances her conservatorship, whether or not her father is in charge.

• Love 9
(edited)

I feel for Britney, however, I would use caution in taking her perception of facts as accurate.  Unless, you’ve actually dealt with someone who suffers from severe mental disorders, it’s difficult to understand.  She may believe things that are not necessarily true. It’s terrible that she feels sad, depressed and cries every day, however they are often symptoms of mental illness that may occur in people who are not under a conservatorship.  She was also like that years ago before the conservatorship was established.  

I read that the judge asked Britney’s attorney if he wanted to file a Petition to terminate the conservatorship.  (That is not why they were there today.) He responded that he couldn’t really answer due to confidentiality, but he would if his client wanted him to. So, to me that means that he explained that to Britney and she said not to file it.  But, when she spoke later today she had changed her mind.  Some clients struggle to make up their minds.  They may change their mind and/or give inconsistent information.  Taking all she said as fact would be a mistake.  I’d really be interested to know the actual facts and her attorneys will need to get proof of them to support her claim.  Her fans mean well, but I don’t think they get the whole picture. 

The conservators should be operating under the least restriction possible and still protect her and it appears that’s what they are doing.  I would question if she is able to stay on her medication if she were to become pregnant.   Her medical doctors should be able to answer questions about her health and risks.  

I’m not aware of anything improper her father has done to be removed from the conservatorship. If there’s wrongdoing or mishandling, that should be alleged. It’s not uncommon for adult children who suffer with mental illness to harbor resentment to their parents, especially if they believe the parents want them to receive mental health treatment. Often they don’t  think they need it or they fluctuate on the idea. 

I wish Britney the best and hope the truth will be revealed.  Everyone deserves happiness and I hope she feels better speaking her mind today.  

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/1009416566/britney-spears-speaks-her-mind-at-last-in-conservatorship-hearing

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7

I read the transcript. She says she is forced to take lithium. That's not something that's given out for minor issues. If she gets what she wants she'll go off her meds. she'll be broke in a few years. Be unemployable. Married to another winner with a few more kids she cannot raise. 

Change the conservator if necessary but she is still gonna foot the bill.

And as far as working with a fever, welcome to show biz. As long as you're physically able you go on because many contracts have penalties. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
25 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What did the judge say at the end? And is this the same judge that's been on the case since the beginning, or have there been different ones?

Here’s what the judge said, “Ms. Spears, you’re quite welcome. And also, I just want to tell you that I certainly am sensitive to everything that you said and how you’re feeling and I know that it took a lot of courage for you to say everything you have to say today, and I want to let you know that the court does appreciate your coming on the line and sharing how you’re feeling.”

She hasn’t been the judge the whole time. I don’t know when she became the judge in this issue but she’s only been a judge since 2018. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
28 minutes ago, bobalina said:

If she gets what she wants she'll go off her meds. she'll be broke in a few years. Be unemployable. Married to another winner with a few more kids she cannot raise. 

You have no way of knowing that. No one has any way of knowing that. Also, unless she poses a danger to others, she has every right to refuse medication. I have never heard of someone being forced to take medication against their will. WTF? 

28 minutes ago, bobalina said:

And as far as working with a fever, welcome to show biz. As long as you're physically able you go on because many contracts have penalties. 

Are you in show business? This “the show must go on” mentality is going the way of the dodo bird. No one should be forced to work with a fever. That’s why sick time should exist. I have known actors who’ve become sick, and they weren’t forced to perform. Either the show was canceled or an understudy performed the part.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 23

How does 'I don't want to do that dance move' translate to 'we need to call your therapist' and then her getting put on lithium? That's a Judy Garland version of show business. 

• Love 22
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The conservators should be operating under the least restriction possible and still protect her and it appears that’s what they are doing.  I would question if she is able to stay on her medication if she were to become pregnant.   Her medical doctors should be able to answer questions about her health and risks.  

I’m not aware of anything improper her father has done to be removed from the conservatorship. If there’s wrongdoing or mishandling, that should be alleged. It’s not uncommon for adult children who suffer with mental illness to harbor resentment to their parents, especially if they believe the parents want them to receive mental health treatment. Often they don’t  think they need it or they fluctuate on the idea. 

I wish Britney the best and hope the truth will be revealed.  Everyone deserves happiness and I hope she feels better speaking her mind today.  

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/1009416566/britney-spears-speaks-her-mind-at-last-in-conservatorship-hearing

And, yet, the vast, vast majority of individuals with mental health diagnoses similar to Britney's are free to decide to have children and either accept the risks or go off their meds.  We may not like it, we may cringe inwardly at the notion, but this country is based on individual freedom.

There are a lot of women taking medications that could potentially harm a fetus, but we don't force contraception on them.  Even Accutane, an acne drug that causes horrific birth defects is given to women after they are informed of the risks and promise to use birth control.  Nobody forces an IUD or tubal ligation on them.

Lithium is a very tough drug to take long term with a lot of side effects which is why it is used a lot less frequently than in the past.  It also can cause serious heart defects in babies; but, other than informing women of the risks; they have the right to decide.

I agree that Britney's perceptions of her circumstances may well differ from those of her father and perhaps her caregivers; but she deserves to be heard and I don't think it is unreasonable to get her father out of the picture since he seems to be at the core of her issues with the conservatorship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
7 hours ago, bobalina said:

It sounds like Britney is being forced to work by blackmail.  If Britney wanted to cut every work contract and face the penalties and never work again she should be allowed to.  

7 hours ago, bobalina said:

If she gets what she wants she'll go off her meds. she'll be broke in a few years. Be unemployable. Married to another winner with a few more kids she cannot raise. 

Even if you think that's true, so what?

• Love 17
(edited)

Unless Miss Spears lied about every single claim she made in her plea, boiled down to essentials, I believe she has been treated like a cash cow throughout the 'conservatorship' by her male DNA Donor- and a very tethered one at that! I concede that she's not been in a good mental state for quite some time but I seriously doubt this 'conservatorship' has been anything but counterproductive in her struggles and IMO, it needs to come to an end (especially with Mr. Spears) NOW! 

I hope everyone who has followed this will realize how flawed this system of 'conservatorship' appears to be and how easily those who are supposed to 'protect' those with mental issues can take advantage of things for a long time- with few if any consequences meted by the authorities who are supposed to prioritize  looking out for those struggling with mental issues. Things have been overdue a change for quite some decades! 

And I say all the above as someone who has compassion for the struggles she's dealt with since childhood NOT as a fan of any of her work. 

BTW, I also hope everyone who has followed this will not let Perez Hilton ( who has openly championing Mr. Spears despite having FAR more spies and resources at his disposal to check out whether Miss Spears could possibly have been taken advantage of but has consistently claimed that Mr. Spears has been totally in the right and benign towards his troubled daughter) off the ole hookeroo.

P.S. I TOTALLY agree with the above poster that it was a VERY bad idea to give conservatorship to someone who thought it was a good idea for an eight-year-old child to dive into the entertainment industry. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

The situation with Britney is not just unfair, it's misogynistic, IMO.

This a thousand times.

1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

She is a performer, not an indentured servant.

It would seem her father thinks she is.

15 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I am still having trouble grasping why she is capable of working strenuously (tours are physically demanding, it’s not like she is a key puncher at some 9-5), forced to pay a whole bunch of “neurotypical”  people to work for her on said tour, but can’t have control over the most minor of choices, like going for a drive to the beach. 
It just boggles the mind.

It makes me sad that the very people she was supposed to trust (her father, her former husband) are the ones who have failed her the most.  I at least hope she can trust her sons.

I don't think she is mentally ill. I do think she  had a mental breakdown during her divorce and custody battle and unfortunately it was all caught on tape. And her father used that  to his advantage. Although why the legal system continues to agree with him is a mystery to me.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 6
(edited)

Oh, and I haven't forgotten how the Spears DNA Donors sprung Dr. Phil on Miss Spears with the cameras rolling in her hospital room (and how he did nothing but tell them they were doing the right thing instead of actually telling them off). Is it any wonder that she distrusts therapy? And folks think they can be trusted to look out for her best interests instead of exploiting her?! In a pig's eye!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6
(edited)

My late husband had a brother for reasons unknown to me had someone who was in charge of  his finances.  His checks went directly to a conservator and his bills were paid and he was given an allowance.  The conservator did not have any other control over him. He was free to live his life the way he wanted.

In Britney's case her conservator, in this case her father, having complete control over just about everything in Britney's life is concerning.  If she was incapacitated in some way I could maybe understand but this woman has continued to perform and doesn't seem like she is incapable of deciding whether she wants to be on birth control or not or even just pick out a new kitchen decor.  

Unless there is something we don't know I have a hard time believing Britney needs such strict supervision.

And as others have said any mental/emotional issues she is dealing with have been exacerbated by this whole thing.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 16
14 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s an impossibly difficult situation. What is being done to her is absolutely wrong but I have seen so many people spiral out of control because of untreated mental illness. I have my doubts that ending the conservatorship will end well even though it probably is the right decision to end it. 

Yeah this is tricky situation. Those of us old enough to truly remember that early 2000s period when things were spiraling way out of control with Britney, know that an intervention was absolutely needed.

Somehow, despite all these people who were supposed to be around looking out for her best interests, predatory and creepy Sam Lufti was able to weasel his way into her life and that's when things completely started falling apart.

So without question Britney was at the time very susceptible to users and manipulators who were all out for her money, not to mention yes, the mental struggles she was going through.  That said, it is insane that the terms and conditions of the conservatorship are this stringent all these years later. 

And it is true that from my vantage point (admittedly as one who knows none of the parties involved) it seems like Britney's deteriorated over the years rather than getting better. Even with everything she'd been through, I thought she seemed okay at least during the Circus era and I liked her last fiance Jason. They seemed to have great chemistry and there was something very mature and adult about him as opposed to this frat boy looking boyfriend she currently has. 

However in more recent years Britney has seemed increasingly dead behind the eyes and just like walking zombie. And speaking of the frat boy looking boyfriend, I wholeheartedly own that this may be unfair as I know very little about the guy. But something just feels off about him for me. And he's a big part of why I worry about Britney gaining back full control of her money. 

• Love 7

I’m NOT saying this is the same situation at all, however, a few years back Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys successfully overturned the Guardianship that was appointed to his psychiatrist.  It was horribly misused.  With the help of his girlfriend, he was able to regain his life back.  Granted, everyone is different. That’s why I would be very interested in the actual facts.  Evidence before the court should reveal the real situation.  This is a great movie about Brian’s story.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The really odd thing about the Britney situation is how a judge decided that the best person to manage her life and her mental issues is a parent who decided that an 8 year old should get a job in show business. Were Gary Coleman's parents not available?

In the interest of fairness, wasn't it her mom who was the massive stage parent and pushed both her and Jamie Lynn into showbusiness? And as I recall, part of the reason the father came in when things went left is because the understanding was always that Lynn was supposed to be the one present protecting Britney and Jamie Lynn.

For most of the years Britney was on top of the music world, her father was living quietly in their old Kentwood home. Then things went all the way left with Britney and at the time many were asking where Lynn was that she allowed the situation to get as bad as it became. For example Britney being put on a 5150 hold. 

Now that said, it was also a fact that Britney had always had a difficult relationship with her father, largely in part due to his alcoholism. So yes, just based on that, he probably wasn't the best person to be put in charge because there was already existing tension. 

I definitely think the decision should have been made years ago to loosen the conditions of the conservatorship and place an independent firm like the ones that handle trusts and stuff, to handle the money. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And speaking of the frat boy looking boyfriend, I wholeheartedly own that this may be unfair as I know very little about the guy. But something just feels off about him for me. And he's a big part of why I worry about Britney gaining back full control of her money. 

I hate to even say this but I have always suspected that he was on her dad's payroll to be a live-in minder/watcher of Britney's.  I've seen this theory be bandied about for years.  I would love more than anything to be completely wrong!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, PepSinger said:

You have no way of knowing that. No one has any way of knowing that. Also, unless she poses a danger to others, she has every right to refuse medication. I have never heard of someone being forced to take medication against their will. WTF? 

Are you in show business? This “the show must go on” mentality is going the way of the dodo bird. No one should be forced to work with a fever. That’s why sick time should exist. I have known actors who’ve become sick, and they weren’t forced to perform. Either the show was canceled or an understudy performed the part.

People on lithium  typically go off their meds when feeling well thinking they are no longer needed. 

I was at one time. And people do work when ill. And what I said is if they can. they cannot. The clip I saw looked far more like she was look I no for sympathy than she was ill.

• Love 1
(edited)

YMMV, but I don't see "Not being great with money" and "having poor taste in romantic partnerships" as sufficient reason to take someone's freedom away from them.

Do we even know if first of these is even true in Britney's case*? Usually, the (presumed) access she gave to Sam Lutfi to her $ is cited as a reason why outside forces needed to step in. But, if being the source of someone's grift is reason enough, than most everyone in show biz (and good portions of the rest of the population) should be in a conservatorship. Were her bills going unpaid? Her child support? Was she about to be evicted? Starving? And, most importantly, did she lack the insight to understand her situation? That's when the law should step in, imo. Otherwise, people are free to waste (or not waste) the money they have earned as they wish.

From what I saw, Britney's behavior in 2008 involved her assessing her situation (overworked cash cow for everyone from her family to random paparazzo whose "education" did not prepare them for adulthood) correctly, but responding inappropriately with self-destructive (although not necessarily self-endangering) behavior. Which... is how a lot of people in their early to mid-20s respond to such pressures. We saw it happen to pretty much everyone else in her peer group and none of them needed a conservator to guide them through their growing pains. Even the ones whose egregious behavior rose to criminal levels (I'm thinking of Paris and Nicole's DUIs here). 

*I want to be clear that I'm only speaking to the claims of financial abuse on Lutfi's part. He was endangering her in other ways, which is a) a whole other kettle of worms, and b) also not a problem to which putting Britney under conservatorship was the answer.

Edited by GiuliettaMasina
punctuation
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Kanye West is a prime example of this, and, yet, I don't see anyone demanding that he be placed under a conservatorship.  Or forcibly sterilizing him or not allowing him to drive or decorate his many homes. And he's worth a Billion.  The situation with Britney is not just unfair, it's misogynistic, IMO.

Absolutely. I’ve always had a feeling that Britney’s kids were used as leverage to get her to agree to the conservatorship because it makes no sense that she would be forced into one. Then once she agreed to something that was supposed to be temporary she was at their mercy without the resources or support to know how to get out of it. 

1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't understand why Britney's awful father was allowed as her conservator for so long.    

Because there really wasn’t anyone to raise a red flag. Britney said that she didn’t know that she could request to end the conservatorship so she couldn’t go through the proper channels to raise concerns. Her other family members live off her money so they weren’t going to do anything. Federline benefited from it so he wasn’t going to do anything. Those in charge had the ability to control who she came into contact with. 

In most states the fees for compensation of a guardian or conservatorship are presented to the court for approval.  Court approved accountings are required. You can’t just write checks to finance your life.  If her father has acted improperly, I’d think the court accountants would notice.  And, Britney does have her own attorney. They can ask for a review of the accountings and allege any mishandling.  

• Love 2
(edited)
49 minutes ago, GiuliettaMasina said:

YMMV, but I don't see "Not being great with money" and "having poor taste in romantic partnerships" as sufficient reason to take someone's freedom away from them.

Do we even know if first of these is even true in Britney's case*. Usually, the (presumed) access she gave to Sam Lutfi to her $ is cited as a reason why outside forces needed to step in. But, if being the source of someone's grift is reason enough, than most everyone in show biz (and good portions of the rest of the population) should be in a conservatorship. Were her bills going unpaid? Her child support? Was she about to be evicted? Starving? And, most importantly, did she lack the insight to understand her situation? That's when the law should step in, imo. Otherwise, people are free to waste (or not waste) the money they have earned as they wish.

(emphasis mine)

Thank you!! If those were the qualifications, then Jennifer Lopez & Halle Berry should be in a conservatorship for having poor taste in romantic partnerships. Kyra Sedgwick & Kevin Bacon should be in a conservatorship since they were swindled in the Bernie Madoff scheme. I don't see anyone arguing for them to be in a conservatorship. 

And word to your second point. If she understood she was plundering her fortune, then that's all that matters. If I drain my bank account, dump my money into the river, and start refusing to pay bills, that doesn't mean I'm mentally ill because I'd be well aware of what I was doing. If Britney is able to understand her situation and the implications of her actions, then she should be fully released from a conservatorship. Everyone, including those with mental health issues, have the right to make bad choices. I find the weaponization of her mental health disgusting. She is conveniently mentally ill when it suits her "father" and those profiting from her, but she's a-okay to be trusted to fulfill multimillion dollar contract deals. This doesn't track.

Furthermore, I have no fucking clue how she is only worth $60 million. That seems abysmally low. In 2002 she was worth $40 million. How in the hell has she only amassed an additional $20 million in net worth in 19 years???? That doesn't even make any sense!! This conservatorship is costing her money.

4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In most states the fees for compensation of a guardian or conservatorship are presented to the court for approval.  Court approved accountings are required. You can’t just write checks to finance your life.  If her father has acted improperly, I’d think the court accountants would notice.  And, Britney does have her own attorney. They can ask for a review of the accountings and allege any mishandling.  

I don't trust Britney's attorney as far as I can throw him. She didn't even know she could petition the court to end the conservatorship! That is an epic fail and dereliction of duty as an attorney not to inform a client of all their legal options, and I think the CA State Bar should investigate. And the worst part? She can't even get a new attorney because the court has to approve another one for her because she's not allowed to find her own legal counsel, despite footing the bill for subpar services. Argh.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 16
(edited)
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They can ask for a review of the accountings and allege any mishandling.  

Her attorney apparently never advised her she could challenge her conservatorship and is also racking up huge fees. There are tons of articles about the conservativeship abuses particularly with finances that regularly occur in California and other states.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
(edited)
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Her attorney apparently never advised her she could challenge her conservatorship and is also racking up huge fees.

Exactly. He's just another person on the payroll. What's his incentive to end this conservatorship?

Edited to add: I honestly think Britney's refusal to work is the only control she can exert. If the money finally runs out, maybe everyone will leave her the hell alone. It's sad.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And, Britney does have her own attorney. They can ask for a review of the accountings and allege any mishandling.  

She has a court appointed attorney and there are concerns over that for many reasons. She tried to hire her own attorney years ago and wasn’t allowed to. 

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I feel for Britney, however, I would use caution in taking her perception of facts as accurate.  Unless, you’ve actually dealt with someone who suffers from severe mental disorders, it’s difficult to understand.  She may believe things that are not necessarily true.

Didn't she post a video last year saying that she burned down her gym with a candle and TMZ later posted that it wasn't true.

We probably will never know the full truth but I would take everything she says as fact. The same way I would take everything her father says as fact.

As for the conservatorship Amanda Bynes parents had an extremely difficult time getting one for her. The first time they tried, they failed. I don't think it was a conspiracy or her father doing something that put her in conservatorship. I think she needed serious help for a judge to approve it in the beginning.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

John Ingram, III is Britney’s attorney.

His name is Samuel Ingham III, though that article misspells it at least once.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oh, and I haven't forgotten how the Spears DNA Donors sprung Dr. Phil on Miss Spears with the cameras rolling in her hospital room (and how he did nothing but tell them they were doing the right thing instead of actually telling them off). Is it any wonder that she distrusts therapy? And folks think they can be trusted to look out for her best interests instead of exploiting her?! In a pig's eye!

Ugh that reminds me of Amy Winehouse's dad showing up with a camera crew for her when she was on a break. I can't remember all the details but I know she was avoiding the media and possibly trying to detox from her addictions. And she was like "really, dad?". 

I'm not quite sure what Britney's mental health condition is or is not, so I've never had a firm opinion on the conservatorship since so much of it is not public knowledge. But her dad's heavy involvement in the conservatorship has always made me really uncomfortable because it does seem like she has been treated as the family meal ticket for years. And the details revealed yesterday were horrifying. I don't believe any of it is medically necessary. 

I was never a Britney fan because I'm not into pop music, but she is one of the first celebrities I remember as a celebrity because we are only several years apart in age. So, it's always bothered me to see how things have turned out for her. When I was a kid, I just felt sorry for her. I even remember my own dad commenting back then about her family using her. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GiuliettaMasina said:

don't see "Not being great with money" and "having poor taste in romantic partnerships" as sufficient reason to take someone's freedom away from them

This describes 90% of Hollywood and probably at least 40% of the US adult population.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

I find the weaponization of her mental health disgusting. She is conveniently mentally ill when it suits her "father" and those profiting from her, but she's a-okay to be trusted to fulfill multimillion dollar contract deals. This doesn't track.

Yup. This is where I am. If she is so mentally incapacitated that thirteen (13!) years after a breakdown, she still needs a court appointed guardian to make decisions from as large as birth control to as small as kitchen cabinets for her, then there is no way it is healthy for her to be going on tour or doing Vegas residencies. Arguments of "she likes to work" and "she likes structure" fall flat when she could be doing all the same things in her home dance studio without the pressures of multi-million dollar contractual obligations. 

Furthermore, I have no fucking clue how she is only worth $60 million. That seems abysmally low. In 2002 she was worth $40 million. How in the hell has she only amassed an additional $20 million in net worth in 19 years???? That doesn't even make any sense!! This conservatorship is costing her money.

Ugh. This needs to be looked into.

• Love 16

According to her father’s lawyer she only had $3 million left when the conservatorship was put in place. 

3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

The $60 million is the number given by her father's legal team.  They claim that, at the time the conservatorship was put in place, Britney was deeply in debt with only a few million in assets and that the estate has grown considerably under the conservatorship and thus, it should remain in place.

If she was worth 20 million almost 20 years ago and then in debt 13 years ago when Jamie went to court, that may have been part of the information presented as part of the reason she needed a conservatorship.

Of course, all of  these figures come from her father's team, so may not be a true picture.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Of course, all of  these figures come from her father's team, so may not be a true picture.

The first thing that I think needs to be done is hire an independent forensic accountant. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 22