Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

51 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What is interesting to me is these same people also believe every move Harry and Meghan make, up to and including the name they chose for their daughter and the timing of the announcement of her birth, are calculated for maximum profit and attention. 

They waited two days to release the information that the baby had been born.  That alone seems to refute the charge they are always publicity seeking.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I refer to them as the Markles out of respect to them, since they have made it very clear that they want nothing to do with the Royal Family. 

OK, now I want that facepalm reaction button.

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

For all the whinging about "cancel culture", I've yet to see anyone suggest we apologize to Sinead O'Connor for turning against her for that extremely minor thing she did nearly 30 years ago... which was in protest of something that was very real, but was being covered up. Hell, the truth about the Catholic priests was revealed a decade after the SNL incident, and we still didn't apologize. It makes my head spin that rapists, thugs, and outright killers are defended as "promising young men" whose "lives shouldn't be ruined", but we fed O'Connor to the wolves for telling the cold, hard truth and her career never recovered.

We all know that cancel culture is only bad when it targets some actions, words, etc. 

I don't think anyone apologized to The Chicks (previously Dixie Chicks) either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
10 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Ellie Kemper released a statement about her participation in the pageant when she was 19.  It sounds quite good to me.  She and her publicist hit the salient points, IMO.

https://people.com/tv/ellie-kemper-apologizes-participation-controversial-pageant/

'Ignorance is no excuse'

That is a very thoughtful statement.  I applaud her for processing everything quietly and waiting to release a statement.  So often celebrities tweet out an apology while they are still in the process and it's a mess.  Better to fully absorb it and cycle through it.  

And the comment from the VP organization is totes cringe.

• Love 14
Just now, JustHereForFood said:

We all know that cancel culture is only bad when it targets some actions, words, etc. 

I don't think anyone apologized to The Chicks (previously Dixie Chicks) either.

No one has apologized to The Chicks, but their careers were not as affected as Sinead's.  The Chicks never really were cancelled to the extent of Sinead.  The podcast You're Wrong About did an episode on The Chicks that talked about them being "cancelled."  They lost gigs and some radio stations stopped playing their music, but this happened when streaming became a thing.  They still had outlets for their music that Sinead did not.  They may have only released 2 full albums since that concert in London, but part of that is their life getting into the way.  The women married, had kids, got divorced, got remarried, etc., and Natalie Maines's messy divorce caused the band some issues.  Her husband tried to get the courts to stop her from writing songs about his cheating instead of, you know, not cheating on his songwriter wife.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Natalie Maines's messy divorce caused the band some issues.  Her husband tried to get the courts to stop her from writing songs about his cheating instead of, you know, not cheating on his songwriter wife.  

Was she the one married to the guy from Heroes or the one married to Charlie Robison?

Nevermind I just looked. Apparently she was the one married to Adrian Pasdar. In general, I'd recommend people not provoke significant others who are songwriters or writers. You just know you're going to be immortalized unflatteringly in their art when, you know, you cheat on them. LOL 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 17
52 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

No one has apologized to The Chicks, but their careers were not as affected as Sinead's.  The Chicks never really were cancelled to the extent of Sinead.  The podcast You're Wrong About did an episode on The Chicks that talked about them being "cancelled."  They lost gigs and some radio stations stopped playing their music, but this happened when streaming became a thing.  They still had outlets for their music that Sinead did not.  They may have only released 2 full albums since that concert in London, but part of that is their life getting into the way.  The women married, had kids, got divorced, got remarried, etc., and Natalie Maines's messy divorce caused the band some issues.  Her husband tried to get the courts to stop her from writing songs about his cheating instead of, you know, not cheating on his songwriter wife.  

It may not have been as bad, but we don't have to measure by the worst examples. My point was that there has been an enormous outrage directed at them as well as blacklisting, by some of the same groups of people that are now crying about "cancel culture" sometimes on almost daily basis.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Was she the one married to the guy from Heroes or the one married to Charlie Robison?

Nevermind I just looked. Apparently she was the one married to Adrian Pasdar. In general, I'd recommend people not provoke significant others who are songwriters or writers. You just know you're going to be immortalized unflatteringly in their art when, you know, you cheat on them. LOL 

I've listened to Gaslighter a few times, and Adrian fucked up.  Him provoking her made her go harder on him than what she might have if he just would have settled.  I know some details were changed in lyrics and she most likely downplayed his behavior.  Going by one of the songs, he made her invite his side piece and the side piece's husband backstage to her concert.  Isn't it basic etiquette to never introduce your wife to your side piece?

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What it sounds like is someone determined to convey the impression that Harry is emasculated and being led around by an overbearing woman.  Because we all know a Real Man would never use his wife's name.

That's exactly how it's coming across.

And I can't find the post about Charlotte that I wanted to quote, but indeed, several jerks (on other boards, not here) have indicated that Harry is being disrespectful to her and his brother as well with the similarities of the names.

• Love 3

In a statement to PEOPLE on June 1, the Veiled Prophet Organization denounced racism.

"The VP organization is dedicated to civic progress, economic contributions and charitable causes in St. Louis," the statement began. "Our organization believes in and promotes inclusion, diversity and equality for this region. We absolutely reject racism and have never partnered or associated with any organization that harbors these beliefs."

I haven't been checking in with the Ellie Kemper thing until this statement so I missed the June 1 response. Wow... just... wow. As much as they messed it up (using polite language), Lady Antebellum changed their name. And so did the Dixie Chicks (who did not mess it up). And neither of those objectionable words are as on the nose as "veiled prophet."

• Love 6

I sure have missed hearing the Dixie Chicks music on the radio. All one hears these days are young men, with gravely voices, singin' 'bout a girllll + some lovin', and nothing much else. The Dixie Chicks were country and yet they were sophisticated enough to lure in a whole different type of music afficionados.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Ellie Kemper released a statement about her participation in the pageant when she was 19.  It sounds quite good to me.  She and her publicist hit the salient points, IMO.

https://people.com/tv/ellie-kemper-apologizes-participation-controversial-pageant/

Now that's how you do an apology. I like how, rather than go on the defensive, she thought about it and listened to her detractors with an open mind. Very nicely done. 

1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

You reap what you sow, Chrissy. Karma’s a bitch. Couldn’t happen to a nicer hypocrite. 

Amen!I don't believe in "cancel culture" but I think that toxic people should face consequences for their actions and this was perfect. No company should want her as their spokesperson. It will be interesting to see if she tries to rehab herself or just play victim. I'm not optimistic. I never got her appeal. She just seems like a horribly self involved person. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I sure have missed hearing the Dixie Chicks music on the radio. All one hears these days are young men, with gravely voices, singin' 'bout a girllll + some lovin', and nothing much else. The Dixie Chicks were country and yet they were sophisticated enough to lure in a whole different type of music afficionados.

Dixie Chicks were big back in the day. I especially loved Landslide by Natalie. Even better than Stevie Nicks. I know that won't sit well with Stevie fans.

• Love 6

Going forward, all discussion regarding Harry & Meghan in this thread is limited to ONLY the news stories regarding Lilibet's birth. Links to the news source should be included in your post. Thank you.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Trevor Noah and Minka Kelly are back together.  I hope this doesn't turn into one of those relationships were they continually break up, get together, and break up again. 

To be fair, I may have missed it but was there ever any confirmation that they had broken up? So it's entirely possible the media just got it wrong. And since many of the entertainment mags especially have taken to simply piggybacking off each other rather than independently write anything, they all just reported the same incorrect story. 

15 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I've listened to Gaslighter a few times, and Adrian fucked up.

To say the least. The first time I listened to the entire album, all I could think was, "damn Adrian, you destroyed that woman" because these songs are something. 

15 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Going by one of the songs, he made her invite his side piece and the side piece's husband backstage to her concert.  Isn't it basic etiquette to never introduce your wife to your side piece?

If I understand it well, I don't know if the woman and Adrian were sleeping together already at the time, but they were co-stars and apparently, per the song, she said she was "such a fan" of The Chicks music. I think she actually came to the show with her sister. 

She Instagrammed a lot of the experience which is how fans later put the pieces together. Because it's not a secret that said costar and Adrian are now together. So when fans heard the line of, "remember how you brought her to our Hollywood Show", they realized that she had to be the one Natalie was referring to.

The best part of the song, in response to the woman's "I'm such a fan", was Natalie's line of, "I said you can love me as much as you want, as long as you don't love my man." Messy, messy...

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

To say the least. The first time I listened to the entire album, all I could think was, "damn Adrian, you destroyed that woman" because these songs are something. 

Also based on Bill Lawerence/Christa Miller’s Twitter/IG she has all their Hollywood friends in her corner!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Another entry in the "I thought this guy was nice, but he turned out to be a jerk" column:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bill-gates-affairs-were-open-105445551.html

Apparently Billy has been working his way through his female subordinates for years. 

Well, that might explain Bill’s “friendship” with Jeffrey Epstein and why his name showed up multiple times on the Lolita Express manifest.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ouinason said:

You pay off the blackmailer if you have something to hide.

Or if you just want him to go away and not go out trashing the organization even if you don't think he has anything truly damaging to say.  Not that I think the franchise is squeaky clean.  I think a lot of their ugliness was exposed in Unreal. But you pay people to go away quietly. 

8 figures is a big range 10,000,000 would be paltry considering he was the host for almost 20 years.  99,000,000 would be huge. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The article says mid 8 figures so more than $10 million.

If  you are paying someone that much to simply go away you must be afraid of something they might have to say.  I'm sure an NDA comes with that check.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

If  you are paying someone that much to simply go away you must be afraid of something they might have to say.  I'm sure an NDA comes with that check.

That assumption only works if he didn’t have an existing contract. He was probably going to get millions even if they didn’t have secrets to hide. 

22 minutes ago, Dani said:

That assumption only works if he didn’t have an existing contract. He was probably going to get millions even if they didn’t have secrets to hide. 

Well I mean who knows if it’s accurate but that is the reporting about the payout that he said he was going to spill some dirt and that the agreement includes provisions that he won’t. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Well I mean who knows if it’s accurate but that is the reporting about the payout that he said he was going to spill some dirt and that the agreement includes provisions that he won’t. 

I’m sure that it is true but the settlement isn’t just about him keeping his mouth shut. Most likely, the money was to get him to walk away from the show without creating a fuss. He was also a producer on the show so it makes matters more complicated. Calling it blackmail isn’t entirely accurate. It doesn’t even mean that he had anything new or shocking to spill. 

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

e. It doesn’t even mean that he had anything new or shocking to spill. 

I am merely going by the reporting, from the article:

A motivational undercurrent, so to speak, throughout was Harrison lawyer Bryan Freedman pledging to unleash the Shiva of lawsuits exposing a swath of The Bachelor’s alleged dirty laundry unless his Gersh-repped client emerged feeling the financial love.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Dani said:

He was also a producer on the show

He's not a producer on the show

39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

reporting about the payout that he said he was going to spill some dirt

The line you just quoted is more damning than this line from the article I quoted above (but was not the original source) in that there were hints that he could release damning information about Mike Fleiss.  Hints.  And alledgedlys.  And about the man but not necessarily the franchise.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 5
5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

37 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Interesting. Maybe he should have had this lawyer renegotiate his contract I am shocked he never even got the vanity exec producer credit. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I am merely going by the reporting, from the article:

I’m sure he has a lot to say that would be seen as scandalous and attention grabbing but it may not be anything new. There is already a lot negative information out there about the franchise and Fleiss. Harrison had the ability to blow the story up but I doubt that he will reveal anything that isn’t known or obvious based on what is already known. 

7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Okay. I read somewhere that he was a producer which I guess is technically correct because he produced a few episodes of Bachelor in Paradise. 

I too am wondering what dirt Chris Harrison had that his lawyer would allegedly spill if he didn't get the money he wanted.

It sounds like - on the surface -- typical negotiation.  They lowball, he wants more money,  cue posturing.  Any info he has would have (or should have) typically been covered in some sort of contract that spells out what he is and isn't allowed to talk about publicly.  The line about lawsuits and spilling dirt could be real or it could be 'insider sources' that will say something like that just to create the sort of speculation we are undergoing here.

If he really did have damaging dirt, he could have used it to actually keep his job.  Enough time has passed and other scandals have risen up so that is yesterday's news and also most people assumed he'd probably come back and host anyway after some announcement about sensitivity training.

The fact that he is actually out means they potentially have more leverage over him than he has over them.  If he thinks telling show secrets would be damaging, I really can't think of anything that the public doesn't already know or suspect about behind the scenes producer manipulation that would be all that shocking. 

The only thing that could potentially be hurtful is something really criminal such as covering up sexual assaults.  In which case, if Harrison was aware him coming forth about that now as a negotiation tactic out of bitterness looks just as bad on him as it does for them.  Like it or not, his association with the show is so deep and long that anything dirt he flings can splash back on him.  And just might open him up to some sort of breach of contract or defamation if he can't back it up.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Given the information that frequently comes out during discovery during high profile cases I have no problem believing that Chris had some things that could be damaging to the franchise or Fleiss, not to mention amplifying stories that diehard fans might know that the casual viewer does not.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3