Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

IDK. Is there a male equivalent of artists like Britney Spears? I'm a fan of her music, but women seem to be able to get by more on being cute and dancing.

Justin Timberlake?

I will flip that and ask: who are the male equivalents of Demi Lovato, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Tori Kelly, etc. in popular music? I'm hard pressed to think of male singers with vocal power, range, fluidity, general skill, etc. who aren't in niche genres or deceased. Stevie Wonder? Bruno Mars? It's certainly not Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, or Adam Levine.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Justin Timberlake?

I will flip that and ask: who are the male equivalents of Demi Lovato, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Tori Kelly, etc. in popular music? I'm hard pressed to think of male singers with vocal power, range, fluidity, general skill, etc. who aren't in niche genres or deceased. Stevie Wonder? Bruno Mars? It's certainly not Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, or Adam Levine.

Justin certainly doesn't have my favorite voice. When it comes to pop men, I prefer almost everyone to him-Harry Styles, Charlie Puth, Conor Maynard, Adam Lambert, lots of others. I didn't even think he had the best voice in NSYNC. JC's voice was my favorite, but I do think Justin can sing. He doesn't have a baby voice or rely on lip synching. 

Mariah in the 90s possessed one of the most gorgeous voices ever. Celine also sings like an angel. She was the last artist I saw perform prior to the pandemic. Tori Kelly sounds familiar, but I can't think of her songs/voice. I'll have to check her out since I love the voices of the other women you mentioned. 

I'm not saying he's the best out there, but I do think Ed Sheeran has a beautiful voice. I love listening to everyone from Josh Groban and Michael Buble to Usher and The Weekend. When it comes to my all-time favorite male voices, I also really love Brian McKnight, Craig David, Maxwell, even Julio Iglesias.

• Love 2

We're getting off topic but Justin Timberlake has a weak falsetto and talk-sings. Ed Sheeran sounds like any guy in a coffee shop in the 90s. Buble is terrible compared to the vast majority of crooners from the 50's/60's. Michael Buble is no Nat King Cole. 

I haven't listened to the Harry Styles solo stuff yet but none of the One Direction guys are great singers. Fine, not great. I can't tell how autotuned The Weeknd is and I go back and forth on whether I enjoy his songs or find his high falsetto grating. I like Jason Derulo in spite of myself but I'm so curious what his songs would be like if he would sing in his natural register. 

Charlie Puth makes great music. I don't know that he's an amazing vocalist. I do think he's very talented. I will give you Adam Lambert and Josh Groban. But I don't think it's an accident that the two I like have both done some theater and have had voice training. 

Nevertheless, I stand by women in music, on the whole, having much better voices than men, especially on the contemporary pop charts. Heck, even in country. Yeah, Miranda Lambert is mediocre but Jennifer Nettles and Reba and all those powerhouses could wipe the floor with the bro country dudes. There is a greater range of acceptable mediocrity for men. It is a privilege for a male artist to just stand there and perform and not have to do choreography or be charismatic or wear flashy outfits. It's weird to then equate that to artistic credibility. It's like how women are expected to find impressive gowns for award shows and guys just wear any tux and it's fine. 

Credit to the male singers who have done choreography (Usher), had charisma (Freddie Mercury), and worn flashy outfits (Elton John). 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh my... hey, Ricky Schroder? GO. THE FUCK. AWAY. You will never again be relevant, no one misses you, and no one cares what you think! Why don't you and Scott Baio just go to the Island of '80s Has-beens and stay there?! How desperate are you that you have to protest at a Foo Fighters concert? The friggin' Foo Fighters! One of the most good-natured bands that ever existed!

What an attention hog! He's jealous because Dave Grohl has a better career than he did. I guess the jealousy between Jason Bateman and Rick Schroder was true after all. Well, we know now who was the main star of Silver Spoons!  Thanks, Rick! You showed your true colors again! I guess Joel Higgins, Erin Gray, and Alfonso Ribeiro are going to avoid you like the plague for any future reunions. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh my... hey, Ricky Schroder? GO. THE FUCK. AWAY. You will never again be relevant, no one misses you, and no one cares what you think! Why don't you and Scott Baio just go to the Island of '80s Has-beens and stay there?! How desperate are you that you have to protest at a Foo Fighters concert? The friggin' Foo Fighters! One of the most good-natured bands that ever existed!

Remember that Mr. Schroder made his film debut in 1979 as the son of a washed up boxer played by Jon Voight in the 1979 movie called The Champ but ,as I said in the Movie Subforum, if those two ever decide to make a sequel, it should be called The Chumps

Seriously, it's appalling how in the last few years he went  from being likable to being   downright despicable  even seeming to skip the step of being merely annoying (and this latest stunt  of harassment is so utterly infuriatingly willfully ignorant ).

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh my... hey, Ricky Schroder? GO. THE FUCK. AWAY.

People like him are always screaming about freedom but get upset when someone they don't agree with exercises their freedom.  The Foo Fighters or any musical artist has the right to limit their audience to people who have been vaccinated.   Being allowed into a concert is not a constitutional right.  No discrimination here.

6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I found lots of Joan's jokes mean, but I'm sure she experienced a lot of sexism. Even though we still have problems, it had to have been way worse in her era.

I loved Joan's daytime talk show.  But she was much different during her comedy shows.  She was relentless with the Elizabeth Taylor fat jokes.   In an interview Joan said she ran into Elizabeth somewhere and told her she only did the jokes to try to get Elizabeth to lose weight.  I don't believe that but whatever. Joan was genuinely funny and she didn't need to be mean but she probably felt like she had to compete with the male comics.  And at some point it just became her brand.

I do think she had regrets how things ended with Carson.  There have been so many stories about what really happened you don't know what to believe. I think she instinctively knew or was flat out told she would never take over the Tonight Show and she took the Fox show. I don't remember if Fox came to her or she reached out to Fox.  She did pay a price in Hollywood for that.  And I did think it was petty Leno never had her on his show.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I liked Letterman. He was ornery and sarcastic and it worked for him. I also enjoy Conan, Jimmy Kimmel, Stephen Colbert and John Oliver. Never found Leno funny.

It's hard to fathom in this age, but Letterman was a true ground breaker in that regard in terms of late night hosts.  He wasn't Johnny.  He had an edge to him.  At first it wasn't the tonight show but 'Late night' with David letterman. An hour later a but more wide open, harsher, sarcastic, more punch to it.  He never tried to be johnny.  No one could be.  He had his own style and show and it really was innovative at the time.   No one was doing a nightly talk show like that when he came along.  

He was the first of the new direction for such shows.  Leno was always more in the tradition of johnny, the safe, easy jokes.  Let the celebs promote themselves. Soft landings in stage for the guests.  

Letterman was different with his show and guests. Not shock jock level like Howard Stern but more unpredictable and the celebs were always taking a chance he'd go beyond the usual Hollywood inner circle mutual back slapping.  So yes some people it turns off.  But he found a niche that was to date unexplored and untapped. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Seriously, it's appalling how in the last few years he went  from being likable to being   downright despicable  even seeming to skip the step of being merely annoying (and this latest stunt  of harassment is so utterly infuriatingly willfully ignorant ).

I haven't like Schroder in a long time. He started showing his true colors awhile ago.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/18/2021 at 6:44 AM, letter8358 said:

OK, Laraine Newman (who was quoted for the article) said ' I think Jane & I, and Gilda both witnessed it'.

No, Miss Newman. First of all, if you witnessed it, please just say so instead of starting out 'I think. ..'. Either you witnessed it  or you didn't. 

Secondly,  that's three of you so   that's a wrong usage of both. If you had said ' Jane and I both witnessed it- alongside our late colleague   Gilda Radner. . ' that would have worked. 

Lastly, I don't think it was just 'two bull mooses (sic)going at each other ' but one of them had to say something to get the other to become defensive rather than totally back down or kowtow.  Obviously, I wasn't there but, considering how each has consistently behaved down the decades, I think it's more likely than not that Mr. Chase attempted to tell Mr. Murray that he still the breakout star of the show and Mr. Murray said that Mr. Chase's star time was over and that's what got them clashing. Too bad it seemed to have happened right before camera time! 

What a wishy-washy article! 

Edited by Blergh
(edited)
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Just knowing the rep of two of them I blame Chevy chase. 

Actually this goes back to the celebrity reputation discussion.  I've heard nothing but great things about bill Murray from fans.  

It’s not as well known but Bill Murray is not any better than Chase. He just comes off more as a lovable ass that people laugh off. His ex-wife has accused him of abuse. Co-stars have called him abusive and mean. 

Reminder: Your Celebrity Folk Hero Bill Murray Was Once Accused of Spousal Abuse

Edited by Guest
On 6/16/2021 at 1:06 PM, DkNNy79 said:

Wolfgang Puck is really nice.

I find that enlightening in that my impression, only from viewing him when hawking products, is that he seemed like an asshole with an inflated ego.  Just goes to show you...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I don’t care for any of the late night hosts, past or present, since the last thing I’m interested in at that time of the evening is virtue signaling and social justice warrioring (I just made up a word) from the likes of someone like Jimmy Kimmel (anyone remember “The Man Show” which relentlessly belittled women?).

That being said, the worst offender in my opinion was David Letterman, who night after night, showcased his mistress (I think she was called his “intern”), Stephanie, on the show. Their romantic relationship was obvious to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention. He paraded it every night in front of the tv and studio audience and then in the next breath, talked about his love for his common law wife and their son. Apparently betraying and humiliating his family was okay, because he was doing it, yet then he’d segue into making fun of a celebrity who was doing the same thing as he was. 

I think his wife is very active in dog and cat rescue. I hope they’ll leave a lot of money to the ASPCA or other pet rescue organizations.

100%^  Thanks for posting what I didn't have the inclination to.

• Love 1
(edited)

I feel like most late night (comedy?) talk shows are won or lost by the behind the scenes writing staff.  Even though many/most are hosted by folks who have had careers in comedy, or themselves been comedy writers, seems like it's all about how they deliver someone else's work at this point.

jmo

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

With Gwyneth, even if she has dangerous ideas, I don't hate on her because I think her intentions are good. It's hard for me to be mad at someone if I think they're nice. 

I do believe that Gwyneth went down the Goop path because of her father dying from cancer, and I can overlook some of what she has peddled to a point.  But, when she bragged about not using correct SPF because "chemicals" that is when she lost me.  What's the point of preventing colon cancer by eschewing "chemicals" when you end up dying from melanoma?????  

• Love 12
49 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Ricky Schroeder broke my heart when he paid for that nutcase's bail.

And yet how much are you willing to bet Ricky's one of those people who still bitch about the Chicks, Sinead O'Connor, or Jane Fonda?

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Remember that Mr. Schroder made his film debut in 1979 as the son of a washed up boxer played by Jon Voight in the 1979 movie called The Champ but ,as I said in the Movie Subforum, if those two ever decide to make a sequel, it should be called The Chumps

Speaking of which, am I the only one who thinks Ricky now looks the same age as Jon Voight? He must have really pissed off Father Time!

• LOL 8
46 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I was going to reference that if nobody else did! 

As for the fight between Chevy Chase and Bill Murray, the thing that stood out to me about the oral history of SNL I read a couple of years ago was that usually people had very conflicting opinions on the book about everything. About who was awful or what happened. The only thing nobody disagreed on was what a gigantic asshole Chevy Chase was. So, I assume Chase was more at fault for that one, but yeah Bill Murray is no picnic himself. 

• Love 23

Re: Chevy Chase and Bill Murray.

I've never believed Bill Murray was a peach, but the fight... yeah, I am totally willing to believe it was Chevy Chase's fault, 100%. From what I've read, Chevy is an unbearable dickhead who's as much fun as menstrual cramps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

From the book Wild and Crazy Guys by Nick de Semlyen (as reported in People magazine):

Bill Murray on punching Chevy Chase in the face.

On February 18, 1978, on the set of Saturday Night Live, everyone was still fuming that Chevy Chase had quit the show for a better paying gig, but had returned as a guest host, de Semlyen explains. Fueled by competitiveness and mutual dislike, a heated conversation between Chase (a known “provocateur”) and Murry turned violent when Murray punched Chase.

“It was a huge altercation,” director John Landis, who witnessed the event, told de Semlyen. “They were big guys and really going at it. They were slapping at each other, screaming at each other, calling each other terrible names. The best insult, which made a huge impression on me, was by Bill. In the heat of anger, he pointed at Chevy and yelled, ‘MEDIUM TALENT!'”

Murray’s recollection of the event was different, according to the book.

“It was really a Hollywood fight; a don’t-touch-my-face kinda thing,” Murray told de Semlyen. “Chevy is a big man, I’m not a small guy, and we were separated by my brother Brian, who comes up to my chest. So it was king of a non-event. It was just the significance of it. It was an Oedipal thing, a rupture. Because we all felt mad he had left us, and somehow I was the anointed avenging angel, who had to speak for everyone.”

A year after the fight, while at a Hollywood party, Chase brokered a peace of sorts with Murray, according to Chase’s 2008 interview on The Howard Stern Show, cited in the book. (Though Chase and Murray never became friends.)

“Chase put down his drink and marched toward Murray,” the author writes, “a furious glare on his face. Murray tensed up. But just as he reached him, Chase dropped to his knees and began to unzip Murray’s pants, miming preparation for a blowjob. Murray cracked a smile at Chase’s sophomoric bit, then both of them started to laugh.”

• Love 5
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Is there a male equivalent of artists like Britney Spears? I'm a fan of her music, but women seem to be able to get by more on being cute and dancing

There are many, especially if you go back aways.  The best example of it for me, too far back for some of the younger people here to remember, was the late 70's Peter Frampton.  He was (and is) a really good, respected guitarist, and at that time was super pretty: cute face, skinny, long golden curls.  He looked like a pop star.  What he could NOT do - was sing.  He could carry a tune, but that was about it.  So he pioneered the use of a ridiculous contraption called a TalkBox, which attached to his guitar and was a sort of early version of AutoTune.  Was played ad nauseum on the radio, and sold millions and millions of albums, back when that actually meant something.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Re: Chevy Chase and Bill Murray.

I've never believed Bill Murray was a peach, but the fight... yeah, I am totally willing to believe it was Chevy Chase's fault, 100%. From what I've read, Chevy is an unbearable dickhead who's as much fun as menstrual cramps.

Wasn't that when Chevy called Bill, "pizza face"? I seem to recall reading that a few years ago and that *that* started the physical fight. Chevy Chase comes from a very dysfunctional family, esp his mother. Another son of a warped mother is Darrell Hammond but he doesn't have a nasty reputation. 

• Love 8

Chase is an ass but I think there was two of them in it and fuelled by the fact that the cast hated Chevy and were probably egging Bill on it all came to blows. I don’t believe one was more innocent I think it’s a tale of two assholes only Bill comes off more charming.

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

There are many, especially if you go back aways.  The best example of it for me, too far back for some of the younger people here to remember, was the late 70's Peter Frampton.  He was (and is) a really good, respected guitarist, and at that time was super pretty: cute face, skinny, long golden curls.  He looked like a pop star.  What he could NOT do - was sing.  He could carry a tune, but that was about it.  So he pioneered the use of a ridiculous contraption called a TalkBox, which attached to his guitar and was a sort of early version of AutoTune.  Was played ad nauseum on the radio, and sold millions and millions of albums, back when that actually meant something.

That's interesting. I'm too young to know who he is, I'll have to look him up. I still think these days men generally have to sing and can't get by dancing in flashy costumes. That doesn't mean they're all Luther. I do think there's more pressure on women to be hot. Think Marc Anthony and J.Lo. Anyhow, I'll try to leave it there so as not to continue the OT discussion. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Another son of a warped mother is Darrell Hammond but he doesn't have a nasty reputation. 

Yeah the abuse he suffered as a child was truly awful. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

In things I will never do in life is be on the side of who is the biggest repulsive piece of shit that ever existed at SNL it’s legit hands down Lorne Michaels and he gets off without reprimand when for legitimately the better part of 50 years, yes I know he took “time off”, he has oversaw a ridiculous unhealthy environment at every level and continues to celebrate and invite back abusers!

I went down a rabbit hole and was reminded that Conan and Seth Meyers went places that none of their predecessors could ever have imagined in the wake of George Floyd because they turned their shows over to black voices and just listened. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18

The gist I've gotten from behind-the-scenes stories about SNL is that a lot of comedians have daddy issues, and Lorne Michaels exploits that pretty shamelessly and also turns a blind eye to a lot of things. I know everyone said they didn't quite realize how dangerously off the rails Belushi was, and okay, fair enough, but he never learned from that. Darrell Hammond was self-harming before skits, and I have a hard time believing nobody knew. I just don't think they cared if he could go out and.perform. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think Chase and Murry are both extremely funny comedians, but (probably) horrible assholes to deal with IRL.  With everything I've heard about both of them, I'm fine just enjoying their movies and never being in the same room with either of them.

Dare I ask how the women have been treated on SNL?  I'm sure they've been treated with nothing but the utmost respect.  *sigh*

• Love 8
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

New update on the Teigen Costello drama.   If he really released screenshots with her name misspelled -- HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA OH MY GOD!!!!!!

What a bizarre turn this story has taken. 

I must admit to being confused about the sentence on not apologizing or acknowledging the DMs, only public tweets. I assume that is a reference to Stodden. Is she denying that she did that? Because the way she reacted to that accusation is very different from how she reacted to this one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Just knowing the rep of two of them I blame Chevy chase. 

Actually this goes back to the celebrity reputation discussion.  I've heard nothing but great things about bill Murray from fans.  

I've never heard anything bad about Bill Murray other than what people have just said about him just now in this thread, but he seems annoying to me. Like, some of the "quirky" things you hear about him doing would be obnoxious if some rando did it. But it's Bill Murray so, you've just gotta chuckle!

• Love 4
(edited)

Random confession time:  I found Bill Murray very sexy in Lost in Translation.  And also always funny in his other movies.   But I am sorry to read that he may or may not be an asshole. 

And yeah, this Teigen Costello saga is a ride.  It's both exhausting & tedious, but also so ridiculous & over the top that it's worth trying to keep up with.

Here's today's latest accusation:

Teigen accused of pushing Cameroonian singer Dencia twice at the 2016 grammys

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Ugh this Michael Costello drama will End up going in her favour. 

I'm equal parts horrified, confused, and intrigued by the thought process that comes up with putting this much effort into fake messages but still screwing them up. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 15
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

New update on the Teigen Costello drama.   If he really released screenshots with her name misspelled -- HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA OH MY GOD!!!!!!

Honestly, I was just skimming over this whole drama because I really don't know who these people are or even care.  But if this latest plot twist is true?  Let me go get some popcorn, sit back and follow because it's summertime baby!  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • LOL 15
  • Love 3

While I'm simultaneously saddened and baffled by the lengths this family will go to in turning themselves into anime facsimiles of themselves, I'm not understanding this "blackfishing" accusation.  

Sounds like an attempt to find something to be offended about.  Because there wasn't enough there already. 

I mean, blackfishing is a thing and the Kardashians have been accused of doing it for a long time now. This is not new. I'm using Khadija's video because she's good at explaining things but this conversation has been around for years. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

I know Jane Curtin said several of the male SNL actors didn’t think women should be allowed in comedy and would screw up any skit written by a woman.  She named Belushi as one of them.  She said the exception was Gilda.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
Just now, Crs97 said:

She said the exception was Gilda.

Belushi was apparently still an asshole to Gilda. Just somewhat less of an asshole to her than he was to Jane Curtin. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I know Jane Curtin said several of the male SNL actors didn’t think women should be allowed in comedy and would screw up any skit written by a woman.  She named Belushi as one of them.  She said the exception was Gilda.

I'd heard before that Belushi was a dick to women in comedy.  And while I think Gilda Radner was the funniest of the first season's female performers, that doesn't mean the rest were slouches.  Jane Curtin is very funny, and so is Laraine Newman.  I still remember their sketches vividly, and they still make me laugh.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Ugh this Michael Costello drama will End up going in her favour. 

I doubt it'll go that far but, as I said when I first started reading that others had seen him use racial slurs, I'm not sad if his attempt to gain leverage in his career on the back of Chrissy Teigen's downfall backfired on him. 

2 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm equal parts horrified, confused, and intrigued by the thought process that comes up with putting this much effort into fake messages but still screwing them up. 

I'm just left shaking my head at how surprised I still am about projection.  He accused someone else of faking Instagram posts (which he felt led to Chrissy's "attacks") and it was "proven." He was silent when people asked for details about why it was "proven."  He probably didn't realize that there are often many ways that fakes can be sleuthed out.  Had he truly gone through the process or proving that his Instagram posts were fake, he'd probably know that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Everina said:

I'd heard before that Belushi was a dick to women in comedy.

Belushi thought that women couldn’t be funny.

In the early days when SNL was actually funny and cutting edge, many of the performers were as high as kites (lots of cocaine, etc) much of the time. Just something to factor into the discussion.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

So the DMs were fake?! Can anyone knowledgable about fake messages and such confirm?

Here’s a good summary on how you can tell they are fake.