Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Ugh, cancer is the worst. I hope she gets better.

22 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

It's not just late night humor.  Stand up comedy is rampant with all of the above.

I enjoy comedy, but comedians can take it too far for my tastes too. Dave Chappelle is a talented guy, but he goes for some cheap jokes against women. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Blame social media. As I often say, social media is a breeding ground for stan culture and trolls. People become more emboldened by the anonymity of it and become detached from the reality of these are real people. 

This is what I don't really get though. It's not really anonymous. I'm not on Twitter and was on Facebook for a few weeks over ten years ago, but from what I understand, most people have accounts in their own names and I know from some people who work in HR that they occasionally check people before hiring them. There have even been some examples in the news of people losing their jobs over old tweets, so one would think that people would learn how to behave by now. Forums like this one are practically anonymous in the sense that we don't post under our names and we are all able to be civil here. The contrast somehow confuses me.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

One of my favorite stories about Jay was a man with a classic car who was dying and reached out to give it to Jay.  Jay insisted on buying it, but the man wouldn't accept money for it because he just wanted to make sure it went to someone who would appreciate it.  Jay took the purchase funds and created a scholarship in the man's name at a college that offered auto mechanics as a degree.

I've never really cared one way or the other about Jay Leno, he's just kind of there for me, but that is a class act. I know he LOVES old cars, so for that I've always kind of liked him, though his humour does nothing for me. 

• Love 13

I've always like Jay Leno. His humor has always been clean and not derogatory toward females. The way certain comedians turned against him, the Team Coco crap...it reminded me so much of how mean girls in high school behave. Dave Letterman & Conan helped fan the flames, IMO. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:
6 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Jerry Seinfield - not really friendly and wouldn't really interact with any of the staff. 

Running out for some errands but wanted to respond quickly. I believe that about him. He has been very open about this aspect of his personality. Watch Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee and you will see that is how he is in the coffee houses, in the random stores they visit. He isn't mean when he does it.

I loved his show but don't really like Seinfeld himself. However, I appreciated that red carpet moment from a few years ago when he politely but firmly refused a hug from Ke$ha:

I know it's very different from interacting with staff, but as a non-hugger, I took strength from that moment and admired him for not giving in even with all those cameras on them.

• Love 16
(edited)

Thank you!  I mean, Jay Leno?  Jay Leno!?   LOL.   He is KNOWN for taking cheap shots at people!  Cheap, unintelligent humour... that's his whole thing!  Did anyone watch the Britney Spears documentary?  See a famous woman going through a hard time in life and you'll find 5 talk show hosts who say something nasty about her every night for a cheap laugh.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 4
  • Love 20
10 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Blame social media. As I often say, social media is a breeding ground for stan culture and trolls. People become more emboldened by the anonymity of it and become detached from the reality of these are real people. 

This. And no surprise, you'll find that the majority of that vitriol is directed at women. I can't think of one male celebrity who has an almost cult like level of hatred and vitriol aimed at him. But I can sure as hell list you a whole lot of women. God bless the patriarchy and all the misogynistic women doing the misogynistic man's job for them. 

You don't follow sports do you?  

I assure you many male sports figures, even the great ones, are hated, greatly, by millions.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I assure you many male sports figures, even the great ones, are hated, greatly, by millions.  

As a non-sports fan I know this! It can get very brutal. I'm honestly disturbed by the people who burn jerseys and stuff. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've always like Jay Leno. His humor has always been clean and not derogatory toward females. The way certain comedians turned against him, the Team Coco crap...it reminded me so much of how mean girls in high school behave. Dave Letterman & Conan helped fan the flames, IMO. 

Comedians turned against him, even beyond the Britney spears, Lewinsky, etc jokes,  because he is a hack who literally hasn't changed his act in 30 years.  His comedy is dated, cliche and not at all innovative. 

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I wouldn't call myself a huge sports fan but I follow enough to yes, know how intense people get for their favorite teams and players. And while I'm not a huge overall sports fan, I am a longtime tennis fan and one name - Novak Djokovic. So yes, I am aware of the vitriolic, borderline unhealthy levels sports stanning can reach and in turn hating one's favorite player/team's biggest rival. 

But one, as this is the Miscellaneous Celebrity Thread, my comment was more so regarding the world of entertainment. And it is just my observation, others may disagree that the most intense vitriolic trolling and bile and name calling and slut shaming, etc. is often reserved for the women. Also two, sports breeds insanity because it plays to people's competitive nature. That's not a defense but just that I recognize where the insanity comes from. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

It's not just a rival team though or just because of competition among teams and players in sports. And there is hours of sports talk radio every day for it to happen.  

Yes it's a different form of entertainment but you have to be pretty thick skinned as a player at the pro and even college level. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/16/2021 at 10:22 PM, Irlandesa said:

When he decided he didn't want to retire, he was both threatening Conan's promised ascension and threatening to move to ABC if NBC didn't come up with a solution.  Jimmy Kimmel, BTW, was in the late night time slot and would have been bumped.  In the end, Leno's late night show tanked and took Conan down with him.

I am hardly a Leno fan but I think the majority of the fault in that situation lies with the executives running NBC. Because you can't really tell a guy who is a workaholic that you are basically going to be firing him in a few years and expect him to just retire quietly. And if you are going to try that maybe don't wait until the last minute to figure out what to do with him when he doesn't want to retire. Because the one thing I remember from the War for Latenight book regarding Leno was he was all about working. He would do stand up gigs as often as possible any night his show wasn't on the air. And at one point he asked NBC to hire like a back up set of writers and a crew so that he could keep working when everyone else was on vacation. But it seems like the NBC bosses couldn't come up with a decent succession plan if they had a gun to their heads.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Useful 7
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Because the one thing I remember from the War for Latenight book regarding Leno was he was all about working. He would do stand up gigs as often as possible any night his show wasn't on the air.

Yes, he said in an interview that he has always had two jobs and he only spends the money from the lesser paying one so that he can bank the other.  He said he booked at least 150 gigs a year while doing the show so that he wouldn’t have to spend the TV money.  IIRC, his mom once told him that with his dyslexia he would have to work twice as hard as everyone else and he took it to heart.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am hardly a Leno fan but I think the majority of the fault in that situation lies with the executives running NBC.

I'm not absolving the NBC executives. They're at fault.  But it wasn't NBC who sent the fake retirement news to the press; that was Jay's agent.  It was Jay who said he'd go to ABC. 

He can both be hard worker and duplicitous at the same time. 

• Love 18

A lot of people who get fired look for other jobs.  If they are number one when they get fired, usually rival companies are interested in hiring them.  I don’t know why Leno was expected to be loyal to the people, Conan included, who were shoving him out the door.

• Love 8

After NBC told Leno Conan was taking over the Tonight Show they tried to work with him to give him something he would enjoy but what he really wanted was to stay on the Tonight Show.   NBC screwed everything up by trying to keep Leno and Conan happy but as mentioned above how Leno got the Tonight Show in the first place didn't make him look good.  

No offense to anyone who likes Leno's humor but I have never found him funny.  Maybe I'm wrong but I have never heard a comic say I really admire Jay Leno. Or growing up I wanted to be Jay Leno.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I do think late night hosts in the 80s/especially the 90s and even 00s fit this description but I also think some of the current crop are much better about this kind of thing.  I think it's due to the fact that writers rooms have more women in them. There's not just one woman in the room.

I agree. The only late night hosts I watch now are Seth Meyers and Stephen Colbert and I don't think either of them fit  @BlackberryJam's assertion that "all male late night TV hosts* are total assholes and douchebags who relish in mocking, degrading and humiliating women for laughs." Meyers, in particular, has boosted his female writers.

• Love 21
(edited)
55 minutes ago, ABay said:

I agree. The only late night hosts I watch now are Seth Meyers and Stephen Colbert and I don't think either of them fit  @BlackberryJam's assertion that "all male late night TV hosts* are total assholes and douchebags who relish in mocking, degrading and humiliating women for laughs." Meyers, in particular, has boosted his female writers.

No lie, I had completely forgotten that Seth Meyers exists and I lost interest in Colbert when he left The Daily Show, and we were discussing those shows back in the day, Leno, etc. As a young'en, I watch Letterman only because my friends wanted to discuss the Top Ten lists the next day.

I don't enjoy comedy monologues because they are so often degrading to other humans. I get no pleasure from someone who makes a living off mocking other people, which is weird, because personally, I'm pretty harsh. 

I also cannot enjoy comedy based on physical pain, like prat falls, pies in the face, etc.

So, yeah, I'm not going to put in the energy to parse out which of these privileged, white, male comedians are less assholish than the others. I'm quite happy with painting them all with the same brush. Men have been doing it to women for decades. None of these guys is going to suffer from me doing it now. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
typo
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Yes, he said in an interview that he has always had two jobs and he only spends the money from the lesser paying one so that he can bank the other.  He said he booked at least 150 gigs a year while doing the show so that he wouldn’t have to spend the TV money. 

Has Leno ever said what he plans on doing with all that Tonight show money? He was host for over 20 years, plus his 10pm show plus years as Carson's fill in. He has no kids and it must be easily $100 million+

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm not absolving the NBC executives. They're at fault.  But it wasn't NBC who sent the fake retirement news to the press; that was Jay's agent.  It was Jay who said he'd go to ABC. 

That's why I said it was the majority NBC's fault not entirely. When they announced their succession plan (which was 4 or 5 years before the mess happened) they should have made him an offer he couldn't refuse with an agreement that he stays off tv for a year, or been ready for the competition or been ready to say goodbye to Conan. Instead of doing any of those they chose the worst possible option.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

I would say that John Oliver doesn't fall into that description either, although his show is sort of a different format. I mean he mocks terrible people and some of them are women, but I am not sure it means they should be off limits.

• Love 14

I don’t care for any of the late night hosts, past or present, since the last thing I’m interested in at that time of the evening is virtue signaling and social justice warrioring (I just made up a word) from the likes of someone like Jimmy Kimmel (anyone remember “The Man Show” which relentlessly belittled women?).

That being said, the worst offender in my opinion was David Letterman, who night after night, showcased his mistress (I think she was called his “intern”), Stephanie, on the show. Their romantic relationship was obvious to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention. He paraded it every night in front of the tv and studio audience and then in the next breath, talked about his love for his common law wife and their son. Apparently betraying and humiliating his family was okay, because he was doing it, yet then he’d segue into making fun of a celebrity who was doing the same thing as he was. 

43 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Has Leno ever said what he plans on doing with all that Tonight show money?

I think his wife is very active in dog and cat rescue. I hope they’ll leave a lot of money to the ASPCA or other pet rescue organizations.

• Love 10

I remember Jay’s wife talking about women under Taliban rule way before anyone else.  I think funds go there, too.  And there is some charity in Brooklyn he really likes and funds.

IIRC there was an interview with the both of them in which he talked about how frugal his mother was, and he got his fear of running out of money from her.  She came alone to the states at age 11 because she was the youngest of a large poor family.  I think her mom had died, and her father took her at age six to wealthier houses to sell her as a servant. I always remembered that part because Mavis responded to his comments by pointing out she wasn’t being sold as a servant.  I can imagine that kind of legacy shapes your view of money. It will be interesting to see where it all goes when they are both gone.

• Useful 9
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

That being said, the worst offender in my opinion was David Letterman, who night after night, showcased his mistress (I think she was called his “intern”), Stephanie, on the show. Their romantic relationship was obvious to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention. He paraded it every night in front of the tv and studio audience and then in the next breath, talked about his love for his common law wife and their son. Apparently betraying and humiliating his family was okay, because he was doing it, yet then he’d segue into making fun of a celebrity who was doing the same thing as he was. 

I'm probably the only Jay fan on this board!! But I felt bad for Conan about the debacle in 2009-2010. I was never able to warm up to Letterman - his humor was always too mean for my taste, but I picked up on his attitude towards women and it was a real turnoff.

According to Bill Carter's Late Night books, Dave cheated repeatedly on his first wife, and he cheated on Merrill Markoe (his original head writer and the creator of bits like Stupid Pet Tricks) with his now-wife, Regina Lasko. Markoe had left the show to salvage their personal relationship. So he definitely had a track record.

• Useful 5
  • Love 9

I've always only watched the various late night shows depending on the guests. I remember I thought Jay Leno seemed like a sweet man. I remember seeing Letterman be pretty rude to different guests. His interview with Paris Hilton was so bad. IRC, she was trying not to cry. I'm not saying Leno's always been a saint or David was always bad, I just remember finding Leno likable and Letterman being the show I'd avoid if I were a celeb. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I remember Jay’s wife talking about women under Taliban rule way before anyone else.  I think funds go there, too.  And there is some charity in Brooklyn he really likes and funds.

IIRC there was an interview with the both of them in which he talked about how frugal his mother was, and he got his fear of running out of money from her.  She came alone to the states at age 11 because she was the youngest of a large poor family.  I think her mom had died, and her father took her at age six to wealthier houses to sell her as a servant. I always remembered that part because Mavis responded to his comments by pointing out she wasn’t being sold as a servant.  I can imagine that kind of legacy shapes your view of money. It will be interesting to see where it all goes when they are both gone.

I remember Jay had Mavis on as a guest in early 1997 about women and the Taliban. It was the first time I'd ever heard about it. I remember she was very passionate about the subject.

Dave Berg, one of Jay's producers, wrote a book several years ago about his experiences on the show. He mentioned how Jay's mother's fear of losing money (and both of his parents coming of age during The Depression) impacted Jay. Jay bought his house outright, didn't buy anything on credit or even invest in stocks.

It really is a fascinating account of working in late night TV - how guests were booked, working under original executive producer Helen Kushnick's reign of terror, putting a show together during the writers strike of 2007-08, and so on. Here's the cover:

5127XAXjujL.jpg

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I've always only watched the various late night shows depending on the guests. 

This was me when I was younger, too, and still is the case with most late night hosts. Craig and Stephen are the only ones I watched/watch the full show of simply 'cause I like them and their style of humor and whatnot. Seth's good, too. 

I remember seeing Letterman be pretty rude to different guests. 

I think in his case, some of that is because he doesn't seem all that impressed by the Hollywood lifestyle in general, and likes to pop the egos of people who come on and act like they're all that. That's part of why he'd sometimes have non-famous guests on as well, the way Carson used to (and Craig did a bit of that, too, on occasion, I remember). 

But yeah, there are ways to do that work and ways that can cross a line into just being rude. And with some celebrities, they kinda feel they have to be "on" when they're on a show promoting stuff, so they may have a harder time just being their normal selves. Or they're nervous (especially if they're new to the business) or things of that sort, too. 

As for Leno, I also remember reading in that War for Late Night book that his favorite part of his show was his monologue, and he was never really all that interested in the interview side of things. Which made the fight over keeping him on the "Tonight Show" all the weirder for me-if he just likes telling jokes, like he did in the monologue, and considering his stand up past, why not just go back to that. That way he gets to do what he wants to do, and he doesn't have to worry about the parts of the late night gig he didn't care for. 

But considering his family's attitude towards money and work, I suppose that probably explained some of his desire to stay with the show, too. Stable, steady income and all that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, ABay said:

The only late night hosts I watch now are Seth Meyers and Stephen Colbert and I don't think either of them fit  @BlackberryJam's assertion that "all male late night TV hosts* are total assholes and douchebags who relish in mocking, degrading and humiliating women for laughs." Meyers, in particular, has boosted his female writers.

Absolutely. Stephen's wife Evie is a very frequent guest on his show, especially during this past year. Seth's wife Alexi* has also been on his show and so has his mother. From everything he's said and done regarding them and his female writers, I think Seth has a very strong regard for women. It's also obvious how much in love Stephen and Evie Colbert are, especially after 30 or so years of marriage.

*Alexi Ashe Meyers is an attorney who has worked with victims of abuse, and I can see why Seth would be so proud of her:

https://www.humanrightsfirst.org/press-release/alexi-ashe-meyers-joins-human-rights-first-board-directors

• Useful 3
  • Love 12

Toxic Avenger remake in the works!

Holy crap! I remember this old 80s odd film. So much gore. Interesting cast like Jacob Tremblay, Kevin Bacon, Peter Dinklage, etc....

I am surprised they would remake this.

I'm surprised it's not the musical version as that would seem like a reason to make a movie. Also, now I'm a little sad because the musical was one of Nick Cordero's big leading roles.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I remember Jay’s wife talking about women under Taliban rule way before anyone else.

Yep, I met Mavis Leno through the Feminist Majority Foundation back in the late '90s because of that issue.

Jay Leno stopped when my friend's husband spun out and crashed on a canyon road, checked on him, called for help, directed traffic coming around the curve to avoid any further incident, and didn't leave once a cop came on scene and took that over, he stayed until my friend arrived.

I hardly ever watched The Tonight Show, so I don't have a good sense of his comedy, though - it seemed pretty bland, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I've read about his disturbing propensity for YEARS (and recent years at that; his apology finally came, what, last year?) to veer off into a joke about Asians eating cats and dogs.

15 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Alexi Ashe Meyers is an attorney who has worked with victims of abuse, and I can see why Seth would be so proud of her:

My favorite section of his excellent Lobby Baby comedy special is when he speaks as if he's Alexi, telling jokes about him - to give her a fair say, since he tells jokes about her.  But his jokes about her are respectful and rooted in finding enjoyment in her/their relationship; in fact, they often circle back to self-deprecating humor.  It's a great vibe.

The bar is set distressingly low, and of course late night is still dominated by men, but at least it's come to be populated by a number of men who don't rely on sexist humor and will even make sexism itself and those who perpetuate it the butt of the joke - even if that sometimes means them.  This seems due both to their own sensibilities (many of them are in long-term marriages with women who have strong minds, passions, and pursuits rather than going through a string of increasingly younger "arm candy" relationships) and hiring more female writers.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14

My thoughts on Chrissy is that the popularity went to her head. I remember when she first started getting attention on Twitter because she would tweet funny things. Buzzfeed always had articles about her funny tweets and clapbacks. Everyone celebrating that and telling her how hilarious she is, probably made her think she can say whatever she wanted to whoever she wanted and people would be on her side. I think that's also one of the reasons she lives her life so publicly on social media. She thrives on the attention and people telling her how funny/relatable she is.

I think it crosses over into pathology for her. We know that the internet can be toxic for some people. There are plenty of stories of semi-anonymity/apathy/detachment fueling cyberbullying and algorithms pushing people to political extremism and conspiracy theories. I think Chrissy was mean before she found twitter. I do think being online all the time encouraged her worst tendencies as did the distance from her victims. This is not something that happens to everyone online but, for some people, they really cannot handle it. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, rcc said:

Jay was on Antique Roadhouse a while back and showed off his Newport RI mansion. What a house!

Just noticed this. I meant Antique Roadshow.

• LOL 4
On 6/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

misogyny

Along the same lines, while watching the excellent CNN miniseries The Story of Late Night, I believe absolutely that Joan Rivers was blackballed from late night TV due to sexism. If a male comedian had been offered and taken his own show opposite Johnny Carson, no one would have said a word. Instead, she was branded as "disloyal". Not only did Carson "cancel" her, but neither Leno nor Letterman ever had her on as a guest after that. Jimmy Fallon was the one who finally brought her back to The Tonight Show, months before she passed.

I really hate the term "cancel culture", and feel that it is totally overused. But Joan Rivers and her banishment from late night TV is the very definition of "cancel culture" .

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

The whole sexism towards celebs discussion is fascinating to me. 

I think we can all agree Hollywood itself has some major issues with the abuse that went on for so many years. It's sickening how many women were abused and it was just swept under the rug. I know we have a way to go, but I hope the Me Too movement has at least helped keep women entertainers safer. 

When it comes to other things like gossip, sexist jokes and if the public's super sexist, it gets more complicated imo. On one hand, it does seem like women get called out more for trivial things. "She's not really that nice!" "She's a diva and requests a lot when she tours!" "She only likes the camera to be on her good side!" I don't hear that kind of stuff as much about men. 

I don't regularly watch any late night show, so I don't know if everyone only makes fun of women. I've heard multiple people say TV shows often portray men as idiots. I've noticed jokes toward both sexes myself personally. I think male comedians are going to make jokes about women if they're straight men who pull from their romantic relationships for jokes. There are some I find really gross, but there are some that make me laugh. 

I don't think everything is due to misogyny and that women always have it worse though. For example, women join the Bachelor franchise,  get tons of followers, and become  influencers. The men don't get as much out of the gig. The Kardashians hit the scene, and Kris was able to help get all her kids booming careers going, except for the one without T&A. A cute girl can get tons of money without any talent. Male singers usually have better voices. Men usually have to have some type of talent to get a large following. I'm not saying that women are always paid fairly and that men don't still dominate Hollywood. Just saying that women don't have it worse in every single way. 

Another reason a lot of the time it seems like women go after women on forums like this, is because sometimes women are actually bigger fans of women. It's not always misogyny. I listen to a lot of female pop singers. I look to actresses for beauty secrets, fashion ideas, and fitness inspiration. I'm going to have more to say about women, solely for being more exposed to them. My friendships with females mean more to me. I prefer female doctors. Unless it's a man I'm attracted to, I prefer compliments from women. I don't understand all the hate Gwyneth Paltrow gets. I didn't even know Anne Hathaway got hate. There are many celebs, females included, I don't care for though, and it's got zero to due with misogyny. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Along the same lines, while watching the excellent CNN miniseries The Story of Late Night, I believe absolutely that Joan Rivers was blackballed from late night TV due to sexism. If a male comedian had been offered and taken his own show opposite Johnny Carson, no one would have said a word. Instead, she was branded as "disloyal". Not only did Carson "cancel" her, but neither Leno nor Letterman ever had her on as a guest after that. Jimmy Fallon was the one who finally brought her back to The Tonight Show, months before she passed.

I really hate the term "cancel culture", and feel that it is totally overused. But Joan Rivers and her banishment from late night TV is the very definition of "cancel culture" .

The problem was that Joan Rivers was going to be named permanant guest host. She accepted the other show without ever talking to Carson. Not to ask permission but to tell him herself.  She later admitted it was a cowardly thing to do to someone who had been so helpful to her career. It had nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with  Carson's hurt feelings. Other late night shows had her on when her show tanked.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ABay said:

Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping for Patrick Swayze brandishing a Louis XV chair.

I would watch this. 

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I liked Letterman. He was ornery and sarcastic and it worked for him. I also enjoy Conan, Jimmy Kimmel, Stephen Colbert and John Oliver. Never found Leno funny.

I also liked Letterman. I've laughed more watching his late show stuff than I did any of the others. I also think he's an asshole, but I don't find being funny and being an asshole mutually exclusive. I also like Conan. The only late night person I absolutely loathe is Jimmy Fallon. The way he giggles and interrupts guests. I just can't handle it. He ruins interviews with people who are always good interviews, like Alan Rickman and Tom Waits. I did see one interview where Roger Waters glared at him like he was an insect, and that made me laugh harder than anytime Fallon was ever trying to be funny. He also aggravated me on SNL. 

50 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't understand all the hate Gwyneth Paltrow gets. I didn't even know Anne Hathaway got hate. There are many celebs, females included, I don't care for though, and it's got zero to due with misogyny. 

To me, Gwyneth Paltrow deserves all the hate she gets. She is promoting dangerous pseudoscience, and I think someone is going to eventually die from her bullshit. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

To me, Gwyneth Paltrow deserves all the hate she gets. She is promoting dangerous pseudoscience, and I think someone is going to eventually die from her bullshit. 

Gwyneth has spawned a whole bunch of social media influencers who peddle yoni steams, yoni eggs and wands, "detox" juices, questionable treatments (getting stung by bees isn't going to do shit for most people other than hurt a lot) and (this is awful) anti-vax pseudoscience. Goop itself has never been anti-vaxxer but I have noticed a bunch of woo-woo New Agey influencers are. Something about how nature always wins.

• Love 15
27 minutes ago, bobalina said:

The problem was that Joan Rivers was going to be named permanant guest host. She accepted the other show without ever talking to Carson. Not to ask permission but to tell him herself.  She later admitted it was a cowardly thing to do to someone who had been so helpful to her career.

Actually I think she finally said that she did call him first, but he hung up on her and then lied that she never called.  She said he never spoke to her again.

I never liked her humor (hated when she went after the young girls on Facts of Life and talked about their weight) and found her to be mean, but she was definitely blackballed.

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Actually I think she finally said that she did call him first, but he hung up on her and then lied that she never called.  She said he never spoke to her again.

I never liked her humor (hated when she went after the young girls on Facts of Life and talked about their weight) and found her to be mean, but she was definitely blackballed.

Joan Rivers was legitimately an awful person. Talk about misogyny -- she could be so cruel to female actresses. And she was never funny.

• Love 13

I've noticed jokes toward both sexes myself personally. 

I think it matters what the topics are. For example, are male politicians being fairly criticized? When women are brought up, is it to talk about their love lives or allude to them being crazy? What is the tone? Is it good-natured or dismissive or hyper critical? There are lots of layers beyond punching up/down. A smart comedian knows where the joke is coming from and what you're trying to get the audience to laugh at. 

Male singers usually have better voices.

Hahahahahaha... what? Maybe it's my hatred of male tenors but... no. 

Yeah, I'm not about to cry for Joan Rivers but I can also think her gender held her back in her career. 

• Love 22
33 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I think it matters what the topics are. For example, are male politicians being fairly criticized? When women are brought up, is it to talk about their love lives or allude to them being crazy? What is the tone? Is it good-natured or dismissive or hyper critical? There are lots of layers beyond punching up/down. A smart comedian knows where the joke is coming from and what you're trying to get the audience to laugh at. 

Hahahahahaha... what? Maybe it's my hatred of male tenors but... no. 

Yeah, I'm not about to cry for Joan Rivers but I can also think her gender held her back in her career. 

I definitely think people are harder on female politicians. I won't say any more due to board rules on that. I definitely think with various other women, it just depends. Like I said, I think there's sexism at play often. I just don't think that's behind every criticism. I dislike Meghan Meghan because she's obnoxious and rude. I'd feel the same way about her she were a man. She thinks she gets negative press due to sexism. 

IDK. Is there a male equivalent of artists like Britney Spears? I'm a fan of her music, but women seem to be able to get by more on being cute and dancing. 

I could see that. I found lots of Joan's jokes mean, but I'm sure she experienced a lot of sexism. Even though we still have problems, it had to have been way worse in her era.

With Gwyneth, even if she has dangerous ideas, I don't hate on her because I think her intentions are good. It's hard for me to be mad at someone if I think they're nice. 

• Love 4