Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I wouldn't have minded Nicolle winning, but yeah, a little of her goes a long way.  She's too perky.  Perky people annoy me. 

I was cheering on Matt even harder than usual because I couldn't take another day of Nicolle and her nonstop grinning.  She brought out my inner grump.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

Nicole needed to dial it back a little. She was a lot. Which is a shame because she was really smart and quick on the buzzer and was giving Matt a run for his money but I was definitely not looking forward to watching her again had she won. 

I'm a little surprised no one got Boeing or Hug it Out.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(Sorry, but Nicolle bugged me, so him losing to her would have been extra sad for me.)

Me too.  That super perky personality would drive me crazy.  I really like Matt and his calm demeanor.

• Love 8

The Boeing TS surprised me a bit, although I had totally forgotten about that buyout until the clue reminded me.  I was also a little surprised no one came up with "hug it out" (I've never seen the show, but a three-word phrase for hug made it jump to mind).

I only knew three Chadwick Boseman clues, and the two I missed were the low-valued ones.  Well, I knew the $400 clue was his character in Black Panther, but I've never seen it so had no idea on the name.  But I take it from Joe's response that if I'd just said "the Black Panther" (instead of "whoever he played in Black Panther"), I would have been right.  (I know virtually nothing about superhero comics.)

I ran 1850s (thanks to a couple of good guesses - one educated, and one lucky), but that was it in the first round; in addition to the two Boseman clues, I missed three each in think big and no egrets, two in parent companies, and one in idioms (my completion of "I've caught you with your..." was "pants down").  So I was off to a poor start like yesterday.

I did better in DJ, though; I ran Q (well, probably; I'm not sure what I spit out as my it's gotta be quadsomething guess of quadragenarian came out quite right, but I think so) and lost (well, maybe - I deduced "lost tribes", which I assume would have prompted a BMS, and I think I might have guessed "of Israel", so I'm giving myself credit for it - because it's Friday, and I've had a frustrating day).

I missed three in foundries, two in novel vocabulary (which annoyed me, because I generally do very well with vocabulary categories, but I'm only so-so on novels), and one each in canals and Helens.

I named all three for FJ; it's too bad there's no extra credit.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Bliss said:

Matt has to hold the record for most number of J! hosts... plus multiple seasons... plus most games won during a pandemic... just thinking out loud here.

I've been absent. On purpose. 2 of my grandkids are visiting - haven't seen them in a year! OMG, they take priority over J! or anything else... and right now my youngest is watching the FJ with me. He just said, "you should get on this show, Nana... you'd win a bunch of money!" I love this child.

Your Grandson gets a Gold Star :)  Enjoy your time with the Grands!

• Love 6

As upbeat and over-the-top perky as Nicolle was, I took great pleasure in the irony that the DD Matt got that finally allowed him to put some space between them was 'Pollyanna'.

Edited by dankesean
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think Matt will make a good college professor. Good for him. 

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Has he ever said what his field of study is? I hope it's the type of humanities field that has people saying, "What are you ever going to do with that?"

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder if a many-game winner has ever thrown their last game just because they were tired of playing...

There were rumors that Ken did just that, although there's no way to prove it. Everyone has a bad day sooner or later.

3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I wouldn't have minded Nicolle winning, but yeah, a little of her goes a long way.  She's too perky.  Perky people annoy me. 

Lots of Nicole dislike here! I agree she would be a bit much as a multi-day champ if she didn't tone it down, but it would have been cool to have an upset victory. I'm watching on YouTube a day behind and some asshole spoils the result.😠

I got Boeing and Helen Frankenthaler and made a correct guess on FJ. 

See you all in September! I wonder if Joe Buck had some inside info on the new host, because he said "From Mike Richards on down..." instead of "From Ken Jennings..."

• Love 4

I loved Ruth's sky diving story. Free falling for a mile!!!

I also loved Nicolle. I don't usually get along with perkiness, but I dug the hell out of her. 

Actually, I've been liking all the contestants lately.

I don't know if I'll be back this fall. I really can't stand Mike Richards.

• Love 1

I got no ts's and all I came up with for FJ were Susan B. Anthony and Harriet Beecher Stowe.  Also thought of Tubman but not Soujourner Truth.  I knew there was another important suffragette but could not bring Stanton to mind.

Nicolle was a little ott but I did like the positive way she answered clues like she knew she was right, instead of that timid questioning way some contestants answer.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Has he ever said what his field of study is? I hope it's the type of humanities field that has people saying, "What are you ever going to do with that?"

It's computer science.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I wonder if Lost Tribe of Israel would have been accepted.

I had to look it up, but Asher and Zebulon are two tribes, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be acceptable in the singular.

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think Matt will make a good college professor. Good for him. He's seemed tired the last 2 games. The break will be good for him.

He has seemed tired. I was expecting him to lose soon, but forgot that it was the last episode of the season. So I expect he'll come back stronger next season.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder if a many-game winner has ever thrown their last game just because they were tired of playing...

I'd bet they have. Even when not counting the stress of the constant competition, it's a long time away from home.

Which just brought a question to mind - does Jeopardy pay for the contestants' hotel accommodations while they compete?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

See you all in September! I wonder if Joe Buck had some inside info on the new host, because he said "From Mike Richards on down..." instead of "From Ken Jennings..."

Wasn’t Mike Richards the first guest host? I thought he started before Ken.

1 minute ago, Cotypubby said:

Wasn’t Mike Richards the first guest host? I thought he started before Ken.

He was second, after Ken. Ken did the first six weeks in January-February then Mike did two.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I had to look it up, but Asher and Zebulon are two tribes, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be acceptable in the singular.

He has seemed tired. I was expecting him to lose soon, but forgot that it was the last episode of the season. So I expect he'll come back stronger next season.

I'd bet they have. Even when not counting the stress of the constant competition, it's a long time away from home.

Which just brought a question to mind - does Jeopardy pay for the contestants' hotel accommodations while they compete?

Typically they do not but per Ken's book as his run progressed they did pay for his hotel.  Since most champions last less than the typical taping session of 3 days (15 episodes) contestants are on the hook for their hotel costs.  I'm guessing if they have to come back to defend the show picks up the bill at that point.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1

I hate spunk! 

I wonder if Joe Buck had some inside info on the new host, because he said "From Mike Richards on down..." instead of "From Ken Jennings..."

I picked up on that immediately. He is the final guest host, he may have known...

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've  always thought James threw his last game. I think he wanted to go home to his wife and daughter and wanted to go out with Alex. 

15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

That was a strong challenge from Nicolle!  I'm sure she's a wonderful person but I'm not sure I would've liked to see her again. Her affect seemed a little put-on to me.  It didn't change whether she was telling us about herself or answering a question about Uttar Pradesh or Helen Mirren or the annex where Anne Frank and her family hid.  Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't vibe with people like that.

I missed the first 5 minutes of the show and was over her by the 8th minute. Her affect did seem very put-on and just so fake. And if that's the way she really acts 24/7 in her real life, I have a feeling she's hated at work! LOL! Imagine having to deal with those over the top antics on a really stressful Monday or when your day has just gone to shit and it's only 10 am. When I heard her answer for the first time, I was already over her. Too, too much. 

I do think Matt seemed to be tired by the end and in need of a break. He basically taped all of his shows in like a week or 2 if they are still using the same schedule. Not only is that a lot physically, I'd have to think it was crazy mentally draining after he started getting up there in the greatest players levels. Hopefully he got a couple of weeks off between taping the seasons to recoup and rest up. 

• Love 7

Wow. Missed Jeopardy last night. Based on comments here, decided to catch it on YouTube and had to stop. May go back and watch the rest later, but Nicolle set my teeth on edge from the get-go. And I would NOT have been OK with her winning. Glad to know she's gone.

Edited by Kimmmmmm
Thumbs
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

At least I never have to listen or watch Joe Buck ever again.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed  his stint but I think one week was enough.

• Love 10

I finally got to watch the finale.*
Yes, Nicolle Neulist did have a Cheshire Cat-level grin, but after she lost her second DD, I noticed her eyes were no longer smiling at all. I wonder if she was chastising herself for not focusing on the category of "LOST."

On 8/13/2021 at 8:07 PM, Tunia said:

...at Final Jeopardy. Nicolle had her chance...had she answered correctly and with a Matt miss, she would have been Champ by $1.  I was surprised Matt bet that buck - it could have cost him dearly.  His smart bet was $0.  What was he thinking? ...Going into FJ:  Nicolle - $13,600;  Matt - $27,200.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, Browncoat said:

...He was thinking he didn't want a tie at the end and have to do the tiebreaker with someone as fast on the buzzer as Nicolle.

I guess...? 
"Tiebreaker Final Jeopardy! January 22, 2021" (youtu.be/5b_cPvl_37w)

• Dear Matt Amodio, 
    Whenever you find it appropriate, please grant an interview or post online what your rationale was for your last season 37 Final Jeopardy! wager of $1.
    Thank you, 
    The rest of us.

As for that final FJ clue--The topic of "19th CENTURY AMERICAN WOMEN" probably effected both Nicole and Matt's wagering somewhat, but *the clue*--

• 2 of the 3 women depicted on the first statue of real women in Central Park, unveiled in August 2020

--was key (IMO) because Matt is from southern Connecticut, so he'd likely be more familiar with NYC culture than Nicolle, who hails from Chicago. Still, if Nicolle had a strong interest in icons of women's history, she probably would have known it--basing my assumption on her seeming command of factual information in general.

I liked Joe Buck a lot. Kudos to the guest host choosers for finding a likeable and capable presenter from among Joe Buck's affiliate members.

*They aired it in Rochester at 12:30 p.m. today, which I recorded while out doing other business. The broadcast was a little glitchy, but I'm glad I had it because my formula for finding Jeopardy! on YouTube failed. 
Maybe(?) I could have streamed it live via livenewsworld.com/cw23-wnlo-tv-buffalo-live/ but I didn't figure that out in time.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Regarding  Nicolle's response to the $400 clue in The Late, Great Chadwick Boseman category: (Fair warning, in addition to being a Jeopardy! nerd, I am an unabashed Marvel nerd. 😃)
She very clearly answered, "Who is T'Halla?" The correct response is T'Challa.  Her response should have been deemed incorrect. Unlike Yiddish (I'm thinking Challah bread with the guttural H here,) the C is not silent in Wakandan! 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Regarding  Nicolle's response to the $400 clue in The Late, Great Chadwick Boseman category: (Fair warning, in addition to being a Jeopardy! nerd, I am an unabashed Marvel nerd. 😃)
She very clearly answered, "Who is T'Halla?" The correct response is T'Challa.  Her response should have been deemed incorrect. Unlike Yiddish (I'm thinking Challah bread with the guttural H here,) the C is not silent in Wakandan! 

I wondered about that too!  I am not a Marvel fan, but I did see Black Panther, and, coincidentally, heard a podcast interview yesterday with Keenan Thompson who spent a big chunk of the interview talking about Chadwick Boseman, and pronounced T'Challa several times in the process.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

She very clearly answered, "Who is T'Halla?" The correct response is T'Challa.  Her response should have been deemed incorrect. 

I noticed that and I was surprised they gave it to her.  On the other hand I was hoping for a close game so I was glad they did.  In the movie they pronounced it T'Challa.  How the comic book creators intended it, I don't know.

That category got me thinking about Boseman.  He was in some bad movies before striking pay dirt with Black Panther, which was not only one of the best MCU movies, but one for which he was perfectly cast.  Shame that he died as his career was starting to take off.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

nteresting.  I find everybody's insistence on using the phrase "True Daily Double" to be rather annoying, and would prefer more people to simply give the dollar amount.

While I don't think I care either way and can't see why anybody (not you) would get upset by either someone saying true daily double or $4,000.  It means the same thing (assuming you have 4K)

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I love Matt.  I think he's one of the best things that's happened to the show in a long time, and I'm sorry that the whole Who's Going To Be The New Host thing is mostly overshadowing him.

I don't mind Matt.  I don't like any contestant after 20 games, though.  He still has a few to go I think, before I start disliking him:)  As long as the host doesn't bring too much attention to him/herself while hosting, I don't really care who it is.  So, the ones I didn't like were LaVar Burton with his overly exuberant yeses, Katie Couric who I felt had too many asides, I don't need her life story, Mayim Bialik because her constant laughter just distracted me and Dr. Oz, though I don't remember why.   Pretty much anybody else in the universe who doesn't do those things would probably be fine with me.  

And Aaron Rogers.  I was told I was wrong, but I'm convinced he slowed the game down. Board completion is my number one priority when it comes to Jeopardy.  Not always the host's fault, of course.  Mostly rests with the contestants, but I think his slow drawl did slow it down.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4

It's an interesting betting dilemma what to do when someone has exactly half the total of the #1 person going to FJ.  Do you bet zero and take the chance either you can beat them in a tiebreaker, they miss or they dont bet it all OR bet the dollar or low amount and take the chance of losing

He bet the $1 and turned out didn't matter.  But I think it depends on your comfort with the FJ category

This assumes of course a #3 person is out of it and no chance to win.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, Katy M said:

While I don't think I care either way and can't see why anybody (not you) would get upset by either someone saying true daily double or $4,000.  It means the same thing (assuming you have 4K)

Like you say, I'm not exactly upset about it.  I just find it a little odd that "true Daily Double" seems to have become something of a mantra, to the point that even if the contestant didn't say it, the guest host would often supply it:  "Ah, a true Daily Double!"  I don't think there's any special way that a bet must be phrased, and saying the dollar amount is just as valid.

Or you could just make a gesture like you're pushing in poker chips.  I wonder if anyone's ever tried that? 😀

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Or you could just make a gesture like you're pushing in poker chips.  I wonder if anyone's ever tried that? 😀

I beleive that James H. did that action quite often to indicate "all in"

• Love 3
On 8/13/2021 at 7:37 PM, ams1001 said:

Oh, yes, who wouldn't want to quit making a year's salary per game, five-year's worth in a day. I can see where the possibility of winning more than a million on some game show would be BORING.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post re: Matt @MrAtoz, although I'm glad everyone is harping on the new host so they are (mostly) staying off Matt's back. He has renewed my interest in this show, I'm hoping he keeps going forever. I like everything about him.

On the other hand, it's obvious that sarcasm/wry humor isn't easily recognized. But yours made me laugh.

• Love 7
On 8/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, HissyFit said:
On 8/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, Driad said:

Re cockapoo etc.:  On an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" a character referred to such a dog as a poocock. He also called himself a Freek, because he was half French and half Greek.

I strongly dislike cutesy names for mixed breed dogs (or anything else).

Someone once tried to tell me that all dogs descend from purebred dogs, but I don't believe it.

I miss hearing from @saber5055 on this.

Making this appearance at the request of @HissyFit. Jeopardy has once again tried to pass off mongrels as "real" breeds. If I had been on the show, my answer to the clue "This hybrid breed is the result of having a poodle & a Cocker Spaniel as parents" would have been "What is a mongrel, a mutt" because there are no "hybrid" dog breeds, unless one thinks of a junkyard dog of questionable parentage as "hybrid." A Poodle bred to a Cocker only creates a back-alley garbage mutt, not a "breed."

The American Kennel Club recognizes 197 dog breeds, so let's look at the FCI, the Fédération Cynologique Internationale, the Belgium-based organization that puts on the World Dog Show and recognizes more than 300 breeds in 98 countries. Nowhere in its list of recognized BREEDS is any with Cocka or Poo or especially Doodle in its name.

That Jeopardy, a show that is suppose to be fact checked and rooted in truth, is once again promoting mongrel cross-bred dogs with made up, imaginary "cutesy" names as a "breed" is ... well, disgusting and offensive, to be blunt about it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

WTH? So much for easing a transition from Trebek to New Guy.

That was my exact thought. It was odd to turn on the TV and hear Alex again (I tuned in about halfway through the episode), and I felt like in an instant all of the 'distance' they had put between him and the new host(s) was completely undone. The direct comparison between him and the guest hosts also is jarring. It underscores how effortless Alex made it all seem, and how comfortable he was in the role.

• Love 7

Aw, it was nice seeing Ken and Alex again.  Heh, it was the 3rd time I’ve seen this episode and it still took me a few seconds to reason out the answer for FJ. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Making this appearance at the request of @HissyFit. Jeopardy has once again tried to pass off mongrels as "real" breeds. If I had been on the show, my answer to the clue "This hybrid breed is the result of having a poodle & a Cocker Spaniel as parents" would have been "What is a mongrel, a mutt" because there are no "hybrid" dog breeds, unless one thinks of a junkyard dog of questionable parentage as "hybrid." A Poodle bred to a Cocker only creates a back-alley garbage mutt, not a "breed."

The American Kennel Club recognizes 197 dog breeds, so let's look at the FCI, the Fédération Cynologique Internationale, the Belgium-based organization that puts on the World Dog Show and recognizes more than 300 breeds in 98 countries. Nowhere in its list of recognized BREEDS is any with Cocka or Poo or especially Doodle in its name.

That Jeopardy, a show that is suppose to be fact checked and rooted in truth, is once again promoting mongrel cross-bred dogs with made up, imaginary "cutesy" names as a "breed" is ... well, disgusting and offensive, to be blunt about it.

Thank you, @saber5055! You made my day! 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, it was nice seeing Ken and Alex again.  Heh, it was the 3rd time I’ve seen this episode and it still took me a few seconds to reason out the answer for FJ. 

I had never seen the episode before. FJ was an instaget. 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Today's show is from Ken Jennings run - his 57th appearance.

Is there a good site to see this information?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Last week, on a micro-vacation to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I met an Australian Cattle Dog named Sadie.  Her human said the red coloring comes from breeding with Dingoes.  Her coloring was spectacular.  This isn't her, it's just a generic pic.  Oh, this should've gone in Small Talk. Sorry.

Sadie.jpg

• Love 4
7 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Oh, yes, who wouldn't want to quit making a year's salary per game, five-year's worth in a day. I can see where the possibility of winning more than a million on some game show would be BORING.

I didn't mean bored, so much as burnt out. 

3 hours ago, ABay said:

My onscreen guide says "Around the World with Alex" and "No information available."

Apparently the next two weeks is Around the World with Alex (are they the same games they reran before the guest hosts started?). Then there's two more weeks before the new season starts; TV Guide doesn't go past next Saturday yet. I'm hoping they'll rerun the TOC.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, rubaco said:
33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Is there a good site to see this information?

Do you mean where to see the list of Ken's games? The Jeopardy Archive has that. Ken began in season 20 and went into 21.

(Sorry if that's not what you meant.)

Sorry I was vague. I meant which episodes they are airing until the new ones begin. The online schedules I’ve been using aren’t populated with that information. 
But that is helpful!

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Today's show is from Ken Jennings run - his 57th appearance.

Without giving away any spoilers as to who will host next, will this entire week be a best-of?

When will new episodes return?

I just tuned in and saw it was a re-run.