Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, nuraman00 said:

Without giving away any spoilers as to who will host next, will this entire week be a best-of?

When will new episodes return?

I just tuned in and saw it was a re-run.

Seeing Alex again. All of the feels.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

Without giving away any spoilers as to who will host next, will this entire week be a best-of?

When will new episodes return?

I just tuned in and saw it was a re-run.

Since all the shows that will air until the new shows start in 4 weeks, you really can't have spoilers as the shows are reruns.

This is from The Jeopardy! Fan web site I linked above.

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts: Season 38 begins September 13; in the interim, Jeopardy! is running four weeks of reruns. The first two will be the 10 “Alex Around the World” episodes that also ran in his memory in late December; the 2021 Tournament of Champions, hosted by Buzzy Cohen, will air from August 30 through September 10. Today’s episode featured a hockey category that was taped at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre with Tie Domi, then of the Toronto Maple Leafs (and father of current Columbus Blue Jackets player Max Domi.)

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The is from The Jeopardy! Fan web site I linked above.

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts: Season 38 begins September 13; in the interim, Jeopardy! is running four weeks of reruns. The first two will be the 10 “Alex Around the World” episodes that also ran in his memory in late December; the 2021 Tournament of Champions, hosted by Buzzy Cohen, will air from August 30 through September 10. Today’s episode featured a hockey category that was taped at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre with Tie Domi, then of the Toronto Maple Leafs (and father of current Columbus Blue Jackets player Max Domi.)

I grew up in hardcore Leafs territory while Tie Domi was playing. The bolded section made me feel incredibly old and kind of sad that now Tie Domi is just "Max Domi's father".

Interesting choice to run the same episodes that they aired in December, especially when they have so many to choose from. I thought FJ tonight sounded familiar, but knew I wouldn't have remembered it from its original airing. Makes sense if we just saw it in December!
Also interesting that they picked (IMO) one of the strongest hosts - Buzzy - to be the bridge into the new season with the new "permanent" host.

I have to say, this entire guest host/host search process has left me so bewildered at every turn that I am quite glad to be done with it, even if I am not thrilled with the results.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Since all the shows that will air until the new shows start in 4 weeks, you really can't have spoilers as the shows are reruns.

The is from The Jeopardy! Fan web site I linked above.

Thanks.  This was helpful.  Ok, so 4 weeks of reruns.

I thought I read something last week, accidentally, about a new host, but I am trying to block it out of my mind.  I only saw it for 2 - 3 seconds.  I am trying to forget whatever I might have read, because I want to watch each episode with no expectations of who the guest host or host will be.  So that when it is finally announced on-air, it will be a surprise to me.

I am trying to even avoid finding out when the date for a new host might be, so that the surprise of every Monday will still be there.

As mentioned by ABAY and Ams1001 the next two weeks are Around the World With Alex featuring categories that were Alex's favorites for each show.  Here is the list of categories for each day with their original airdate.

Week 1: August 16 - 20                                                                                                      

Monday, Aug. 16            Hockey  (Original Airdate: 10/14/04)
Tuesday, Aug 17            Sesame Street  (Original Airdate: 04/04/06)
Wednesday, Aug. 18      The U.S. Air Force: USO Tour to Japan (Original Airdate:  09/27/07)
Thursday, Aug. 19          Machu Picchu  (Original Airdate: 11/06/07)
Friday, Aug. 20               Niagara Falls    (Original Airdate: 01/15/09)

Week 2: August 23 - 27

Monday, Aug. 23            Journey Through Israel  (Original Airdate: 11/23/09)
Tuesday, Aug. 24           Galápagos Wildlife  (Original Airdate: 12/09/09)
Wednesday, Aug. 25      Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)
Thursday, Aug. 26          Petra  (Original Airdate: 11/14/11)
Friday, Aug. 27               National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)

• Useful 5
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Technically, a Daily Double has nothing to do with the amount bet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_double

ETA: I agree with Saber about mutts.

I like mutts - have generally had mutts except for my last fella who was a rescue dog who'd been abused. But I'm not fond of mutts with airs. Making them fancy doesn't change the fact that they're not a breed.

Though, that being said, breeding with a poodle may have been an effort to give more kinds of hypoallergenic dogs - at least at first. Still not a breed, but it may have made some sense other than a dollar grab.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Most Saturdays, our local ABC station that carries Jeopardy! reruns an episode from earlier in the season, so I've seen Alex nearly every Saturday night. At first, it made me a bit sad, but then I was just happy to see him again. Last Saturday, one of the contestants answered FJ with "Camus," so it made me amused and happy to hear Alex say, "Albert Camus!" (It was wrong, though.)

Last night, I was out to dinner with my DD and her family, so I missed J!, and since it was a rerun, it didn't record. I felt a bit bereft, with no J! to watch.

• Love 3

When did "True Daily Double" start anyway?  I hadn't watched regularly in some time before last fall, but I never remember it having been the shibboleth it seems to be now.

I do think the choice of Alex and Buzzy for the summer reruns is bizarre.  However else we feel about the guest host carousel or the eventual result, I do think it was smart to have a palate cleanser between the beloved host of 35+ years and whoever the new person turned out to be.  So now we have...two weeks of that host's shows and, right after a lot of negative publicity around the process, two weeks of a guest who it is perceived auditioned and didn't get it.  Yup, makes sense!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

I've been watching the reruns with Alex when I can, so last night's Alex sighting didn't feel weird to me. Perhaps the ratings for those reruns indicated that a large percentage of viewers were watching them. Here the reruns come on at 10am during the week and then in the evening on Saturdays, but I remember Mom and Dad used to catch a rerun immediately before the new show.

ETA: Am I the only one who keeps thinking about Johnny Gilbert being 93 years old? Maybe people don't worry about it because his voice doesn't sound it at all.

14 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

I thought I read something last week, accidentally, about a new host, but I am trying to block it out of my mind.  I only saw it for 2 - 3 seconds.  I am trying to forget whatever I might have read, because I want to watch each episode with no expectations of who the guest host or host will be.  So that when it is finally announced on-air, it will be a surprise to me.
I am trying to even avoid finding out when the date for a new host might be, so that the surprise of every Monday will still be there.

That might be hard to do unless you go camping old school style.
I too avoid spoilers for shows because I like to be surprised, so I know what you mean about catching something out of the corner of your eye and making yourself forget it.
But the network has announced both the hosts and dates, and even if you are careful not to read about it in the New York Times, Deadline, or the Rolling Stone, you'd also have to avoid radio in your car and TV news --as well as staying off of social media, and even not looking at links to articles that pop up on the side of the screen during Google searches for things as unrelated as how many minutes to cook an egg. 
Or maybe you're just better at turning away from stuff than I am.

Good luck, @nuraman00! Let us know if you succeed!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I can't believe they curated such a collection of guest hosts with great charities to finish out the season and get viewers used to seeing someone other than Alex behind the podium before the new season starts, and then decided to air some Alex episodes!

I know they couldn't follow their usual routine of filling those weeks by re-running the previous season's tournaments, since this year we only had the ToC, no college or teen tournaments.  And re-running the most popular guest hosts' games would have just invited continued criticism of installing Mike Richards as the new host.  But I think that would have been better than going back into the vault and pulling out Alex episodes to fill in the two week gap before the ToC re-run. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Though, that being said, breeding with a poodle may have been an effort to give more kinds of hypoallergenic dogs - at least at first. Still not a breed, but it may have made some sense other than a dollar grab.

Replying in Small Talk.

2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Maybe I'm being too politically correct (I certainly don't mean to be) but it's strange wording to me.  They could have just worded it as "non-fictional".

I realize I need to get out more.  Thanks once again pandemic.

I think "historic" would suffice.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I do think the choice of Alex and Buzzy for the summer reruns is bizarre.  However else we feel about the guest host carousel or the eventual result, I do think it was smart to have a palate cleanser between the beloved host of 35+ years and whoever the new person turned out to be.  So now we have...two weeks of that host's shows and, right after a lot of negative publicity around the process, two weeks of a guest who it is perceived auditioned and didn't get it.  Yup, makes sense!

Don't they always rerun the TOC in the summer, though?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, dbklmt said:

As mentioned by ABAY and Ams1001 the next two weeks are Around the World With Alex featuring categories that were Alex's favorites for each show.  Here is the list of categories for each day with their original airdate.

Monday, Aug. 16            Hockey  (Original Airdate: 10/14/04)
Tuesday, Aug 17            Sesame Street  (Original Airdate: 04/04/06)
Wednesday, Aug. 18      The U.S. Air Force: USO Tour to Japan (Original Airdate:  09/27/07)

Wednesday, Aug. 25      Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)
Friday, Aug. 27               National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)

Why don't they show any 90s episodes?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

and even not looking at links to articles that pop up on the side of the screen during Google searches for things as unrelated as how many minutes to cook an egg. 
Or maybe you're just better at turning away from stuff than I am.

:)

Good tip about avoiding Rolling Stone.  I'll have to be careful when I click on a music related article, to not to read much more than the article.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Leeds said:

My channel is showing a repeat from 2020 and while I realize it has more than one meaning, my jaw is still open after the "shot the wad" answer/clue.

So it’s not just me! When I was still an academic librarian, a professor emeritus (in his 70s, whom I frequently assisted with research for articles he was still writing and getting published) let loose with that same expression. He was equally casual about it —as if he had no idea what it really meant. I kept my cool outwardly, but I was shocked.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Leeds said:

My channel is showing a repeat from 2020 and while I realize it has more than one meaning, my jaw is still open after the "shot the wad" answer/clue.

Doesn't it just mean you've spent all your money, or used up all your resources?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Doesn't it just mean you've spent all your money, or used up all your resources?  

That's what I think of - like you've spent a wad of money. I know there is another meaning, but it's not what comes first to mind.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So it’s not just me! When I was still an academic librarian, a professor emeritus (in his 70s, whom I frequently assisted with research for articles he was still writing and getting published) let loose with that same expression. He was equally casual about it —as if he had no idea what it really meant. I kept my cool outwardly, but I was shocked.

That's the thing; if he was older, he may well have had no idea of the more vulgar meaning.  The more traditional meaning of "shoot your wad" (or sometimes, "shoot your bolt") is just to use up all of your resources.  It goes back at least to the Civil War.  The vulgar meaning is newer, and may have escaped the notice of an older speaker.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

That's the thing; if he was older, he may well have had no idea of the more vulgar meaning.  The more traditional meaning of "shoot your wad" (or sometimes, "shoot your bolt") is just to use up all of your resources.  It goes back at least to the Civil War.  The vulgar meaning is newer, and may have escaped the notice of an older speaker.

Like Orrin Hatch . . . 

https://people.com/politics/orrin-hatch-shot-their-wad-definition-twitter/

Although it’s not a phrase I have ever used, I actually thought “shot your wad” had no vulgar meaning in and of itself and was simply confused by some with a similar phrase I won’t repeat which certainly does. I am always learning through Jeopardy! ;)

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Leeds said:
19 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Although it’s not a phrase I have ever used, I actually thought “shot your wad” had no vulgar meaning in and of itself and was simply confused by some with a similar phrase I won’t repeat which certainly does. I am always learning through Jeopardy! ;)

Replied in the Small Talk thread: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/2175-small-talk-ill-take-non-show-chat-for-400-alex/?do=findComment&comment=6958487

On 8/17/2021 at 1:31 AM, dbklmt said:

...Around the World With Alex...

...Wednesday, Aug. 18      The U.S. Air Force: USO Tour to Japan (Original Airdate:  09/27/07)

This evening was cute with Alex being fake-censored and hauled away for the THE U.S. AIR FORCE category bit at the end.
I had not seen this show before, so enjoyed instagetting the TS "likelihood" and FJ.
With all the tragedy and scandal and disasters whirling around these days, a few minutes with Alex was comforting for me.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Mike is out as new host. I am happy. 

I had to look it up on the news sites. Wow. I'm glad to hear it, even if I would have continued to watch Jeopardy anyway.

Fingers crossed for Buzzy. But really, except for one or two of the hosts, I'd be okay with anyone else.

• Love 5