Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

As I said when the show originally aired....come on people! Zeus only had two brothers - Hades and Poseidon. And no one said even one of them.  

I actually remembered this question from missing it the first time. This time...missed it again. Though the river Styx did enter my mind, but not in time for me to get to Hades. And I had no idea these were Zeus' brothers. Mythology isn't really my thing, and I tend to get Roman and Greek mixed up.

• Love 5
On 8/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm a little sad that Tom Nissley apparently didn't finish his novel.

Those shows made me remember how much I liked him as a contestant. He owns a bookstore and has written two books, so I'm hoping the Jeopardy! money did for his life what he hoped it would.

• Love 13
On 8/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, M. Darcy said:

As I said when the show originally aired....come on people! Zeus only had two brothers - Hades and Poseidon. And no one said even one of them.  

When it aired the first time, I just completely disregarded the ocean part of the clue and focused on Poseidon's 2 brothers, one of whom was the god of the Underworld.  So Hades was a gimme for me.  (Plus, I had a huge crush on the actor who played him on Xena & Hercules, and had been watching a lot of things he was in, so Hades was definitely fresh on my brain.)

• Love 3

Buzzy was great again last night, and Ryan was just as much a douche as I remembered as well.  I don't care if he explained it away as nerves, he was rude and unsportsmanlike and that doesn't just 'happen' because you're nervous.

• Love 12
On 8/23/2021 at 8:06 PM, DonnaMae said:

So we're going to get three more weeks of Mayim guest hosting.  I wonder how many times she'll tell us she's a neuroscientist.

Has she spent ONE DAY employed as a neuroscientist? Or did she finish her degree just before breeding strictly for the bragging rights?

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Trey said:

Well, we knew that was coming.

He would have been better off never being a guest host.

I wonder if the show will still air the episodes he taped for the new season.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Has she spent ONE DAY employed as a neuroscientist? Or did she finish her degree just before breeding strictly for the bragging rights?

She got her degree in 2007 (I think her older son was born a year or so earlier, if my memory and math are right; Wikipedia doesn't say but she's said recently that he's 15). Her Wikipedia page mentions her degree and dissertation topic under education, and the "Other Works and Writings" section has not one reference to any other scientific writing (just her two books, that NYT op-ed, some film stuff, and something called Grok Nation). Her acting credits start up again in 2009 (I have read that she went back to acting because she needed health insurance) and she started on TBBT in 2010.

So I'm gonna say no. She is an actor with a degree in neuroscience from 14 years ago, not a neuroscientist.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

I don't seriously think they'll do this, but ... the technology exists to "replace" Mike as host for the broadcasts. They could body swap another person in, a la Christopher Plummer replacing Kevin Spacey in the already completed All the Money in the World a few years ago. Or they could remove all visuals of the host and have another voice read a transcript to replace him vocally, a la Scarlett Johansson who replaced Samantha Morton in Her.  If they do either one, though, it'll be lame and pretty obvious.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
  • Love 1

There was a tornado way south of us, so, of course, the local station has to break in... from the first commercial break to the penultimate clue in FJ.  Damn.  Good thing this was a rerun.  And I remembered FJ & got it right this time. LOL.

(So far, no one was hurt by the tornado)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Buzzy was great again last night, and Ryan was just as much a douche as I remembered as well.  I don't care if he explained it away as nerves, he was rude and unsportsmanlike and that doesn't just 'happen' because you're nervous.

I'd never seen him before but found his obnoxious reactions more suited to The Price is Right than Jeopardy!  I hope I never see him on my screen again.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There was a tornado way south of us, so, of course, the local station has to break in... from the first commercial break to the penultimate clue in FJ.  Damn.  Good thing this was a rerun.  And I remembered FJ & got it right this time. LOL.

(So far, no one was hurt by the tornado)

I went out last night, so wouldn’t have watched anyway, but there was a tornado just a mile or so from where I went!  I have never heard my phone make such noises like it did for the tornado warning.  And FYI, having the phone on silent mode does not silence a tornado warning.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I went out last night, so wouldn’t have watched anyway, but there was a tornado just a mile or so from where I went!  I have never heard my phone make such noises like it did for the tornado warning.  And FYI, having the phone on silent mode does not silence a tornado warning.

Those warnings are pretty attention grabbing aren't they? I suppose it would defeat the purpose if they were stopped by silent mode.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Those warnings are pretty attention grabbing aren't they? I suppose it would defeat the purpose if they were stopped by silent mode.

Heh. Lived the previous 20 years in tornado alley (but not since January). 
I thought I did find a way to silence the warnings.
The clue is: This PrimeTimer Jeopardy! fan always obsessively checks the weather and does not need Tornado alerts sounding on their phone.
Correct response: Who is shapeshifter?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

It still strikes me as odd that none of the three Jeopardy! champions were into Breaking Bad enough to insta-buzz-in with the correct response of “ricin” for the HERBS clue: “Eating one seed from the castor bean can be fatal due to the presence of this blood-clumping toxin.”

• Love 1
11 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Re-Watching Buzzy host the TOC, he’s really making it seem like Jeopardy again. 

We say, with every episode, hire Buzzy!

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew ricin, but know nothing about Breaking Bad.

I know Breaking Bad, but I forgot about the origin of ricin.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 8/31/2021 at 11:56 AM, DonnaMae said:

I think Buzzy would be a good permanent host.  I wonder if he has some questionable tweets in his past.  It seems the person they choose has to be a saint to get the job.

Not a saint, just not an asshole.  Most people do not have sexual harassment lawsuits in their pasts or seriously offensive commentary on Twitter or their podcast.

I was afraid that maybe I overestimated Buzzy's performance as host simply because he had toned down the aspects of his personality which annoyed me so much when he was a contestant.  I'm glad to discover that I was wrong, and that he was every bit as good as host as I'd previously believed.

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was afraid that maybe I overestimated Buzzy's performance as host simply because he had toned down the aspects of his personality which annoyed me so much when he was a contestant.  I'm glad to discover that I was wrong, and that he was every bit as good as host as I'd previously believed.

I'm hoping that Sony is hearing a lot of comments just like these. Buzzy must still be in contention for the permanent host job. Why else would he have been on set on that first day when Mike Richards taped the first five episodes of Season 38? Ken already has a Jeopardy! title and Mayim has been named as a host for the special episodes. There was a reason for them to be there as they already have Jeopardy! positions. Buzzy's just a former champion in comparison. But he was also one of the guest hosts and is the only former guest host to be on set that day. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but why else would he have been on set? Even though Richards had been announced as the new permanent host, TPTB at Sony were probably still looking for a way to give him the axe, just based on all the negative publicity. Then the article was released with all the info about the podcast and they once again could begin to consider Ken, Mayim and (fingers crossed) Buzzy for the position.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

TPTB at Sony were probably still looking for a way to give him the axe, just based on all the negative publicity.

The article came out before they taped the episode. If they were looking to get rid of Mike, I think they would have delayed taping a day or thrown either Ken, Buzzy or Mayim into the host position for those episodes. 

I really don't think they wanted the additional awkwardness of having a week's worth of episodes with the now disgraced host that they have to air. 

I believe there was a tribute to Alex done that day--a mural or something.  I think that's why they were there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The article came out before they taped the episode. If they were looking to get rid of Mike, I think they would have delayed taping a day or thrown either Ken, Buzzy or Mayim into the host position for those episodes. 

I really don't think they wanted the additional awkwardness of having a week's worth of episodes with the now disgraced host that they have to air. 

I believe there was a tribute to Alex done that day--a mural or something.  I think that's why they were there.

Still, unless there were other former Jeopardy champions on set for the ceremony that we didn't hear about, why Buzzy?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

You're right, but the mural was at Alex's old school.

I think Buzzy was at the studio when it was renamed in honor of Alex. Ken and Alex's family were also there. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/business/mike-richards-quits-jeopardy.html

As for why Buzzy? Who knows. He's local, I believe. It's possible he asked for an invite, or maybe Alex's family wanted him there.

Edited by dcalley
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't want to watch the week of Richards shows, but I want to see how the returning champ fares, so I'm on the fence about it.

I’m not on the fence because I don’t want to miss Matt, but I share your dread WRT watching MR. 

Perhaps my biggest concern is that if ratings for MR’s week are sky high because of the scandal, then the Sony dummies might reach the conclusion that scandal is good for Jeopardy! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't want to watch the week of Richards shows, but I want to see how the returning champ fares, so I'm on the fence about it.

I figure if I could watch Dr. Oz for two weeks, I can watch one week of Richards - and enjoy a little schadenfreude along the way.

• LOL 6
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't like Matt, so I think I'll skip shows until he loses.  Hopefully that'll cover most/all of Richards' episodes.

3 hours ago, Trey said:

I remembered Lord Baltimore but forgot Wm. Penn from last time.

That FJ was an instaget for me originally because I've lived most of my life within a few miles of the Mason-Dixon line up in the northeastern corner of Maryland.  So I spent the Jeopardy music time trying to remember which Calvert was the Lord Baltimore who was given the land grant by Charles I.  (Answer: it was Cecil Calvert, 2nd Lord Baltimore, for whom my county is named.)

{Edited to note that I had to look the Lord Baltimore thing up - again.  Can't seem to retain that info to save my life.}

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I will definitely be watching the first week of the new season.  I want to see how Matt does- like him or not (and I do like him) he is having an impressive run.  I am also very curious to see if they edit the intro and and inevitable remarks made by MR about how honored he was to be chosen as host.  

I watched all of the guest hosts because at the end of the day it's all about the game and contestants to me.  When you think about it, the host actually gets very little camera time over the course of an episode.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10

I got FJ!  Heh, even though my thought process was...I don't know...I guess that Baltimore guy and Penn.  My memory of the TOC is really nil.  I cannot even remember who wins. Which means it is kind of new shows! 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I like Matt, and it's not about being incapable of suffering through a bad host. My reluctance is more that I don't want the show to use decent ratings as a reason to have second thoughts about canning Richards. People told them they wouldn't watch if he kept the gig (at least it seems like enough people said that to make an impression). If they don't see a drop, maybe they will backtrack. 

I'm probably overthinking it, though. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

My reluctance is more that I don't want the show to use decent ratings as a reason to have second thoughts about canning Richards. People told them they wouldn't watch if he kept the gig (at least it seems like enough people said that to make an impression). If they don't see a drop, maybe they will backtrack. 
I'm probably overthinking it, though. 

Yes, but Jeopardy! fans are by nature thinkers.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just wish they would include the category title at the top of the screen for each clue. Is that so much to ask?
It seems like it would buy Sony a bit of good will right now.

This! I miss a good number of clues because I didn't realize the category.

• Love 3

It still amazes me how much I like Buzzy as a host.  And his name has the right number of syllables.  Johnny's intro just sounds better if each name has two syllables.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 12

I watched tonight with my daughter. She has been rooting for Buzzy all along. I think I didn’t realize how good he was until I saw how bad some of the others were. 

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but Jeopardy! fans are by nature thinkers.

Ah, that’s how I got my name. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4