Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 9/3/2021 at 12:45 PM, shapeshifter said:

I just wish they would include the category title at the top of the screen for each clue. Is that so much to ask?

When contestants started at the top and ran down a category, keeping up was easy. Today, it's like trying to watch a flea circus. I don't mind the category-jumping -- it has proven to be a smart strategy -- but I sometimes find it hard to keep up.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

When contestants started at the top and ran down a category, keeping up was easy. Today, it's like trying to watch a flea circus. I don't mind the category-jumping -- it has proven to be a smart strategy -- but I sometimes find it hard to keep up.

Same here, especially when I'm trying to keep score (which I haven't been doing lately; I kinda wish I had held onto my scores from the TOC when it first ran (if I even kept score...not sure if I did), so I could see if I do better the second time around...maybe I'll remember to do that next year). If I miss the category/amount chosen my scorecard gets messed up and then I just give up and check the archive during the commercial between rounds.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HissyFit said:

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Same here, especially when I'm trying to keep score (which I haven't been doing lately; I kinda wish I had held onto my scores from the TOC when it first ran (if I even kept score...not sure if I did), so I could see if I do better the second time around...maybe I'll remember to do that next year). If I miss the category/amount chosen my scorecard gets messed up and then I just give up and check the archive during the commercial between rounds.

Plus, they go through the categories really fast at the beginning of the round. 
Definitely no time to get snacks once Johnny Gilbert starts announcing!
Then, often the players call out the category in an abbreviated form, which I often don't recognize until the second or third clue from that category.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Then, often the players call out the category in an abbreviated form,

They're encouraged to, in order to keep the game moving.  Nothing worse than the "Alex, I'll take Things You Shouldn't Put In Your Mouth for $600, please" folks to slow down a game.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

They're encouraged to, in order to keep the game moving.  Nothing worse than the "Alex, I'll take Things You Shouldn't Put In Your Mouth for $600, please" folks to slow down a game.

That makes sense. But if I blinked when they read the categories at the beginning and the player said, "Things for $600," I am not going to [drum roll for the pun] have a clue.

I have to think post-"Jeopardy James" they've tested putting the categories at the top of the screen but the test audience didn't like it, and they didn't try altering it. Having done more than my share of web design (which involves imparting information on screens) I would think  just showing the word(s) of the category in white letters at the top during the clue would be helpful and unobtrusive, but I'm also guessing what they field tested was a big blue distracting box with the category words in it.

• Love 3

This may have been mentioned when the TOC originally aired, but how does Jones, of all names, not merit a BMS? It feels as if that request has disappeared over the past many months. I hope when a permanent host is finally settled in the role, that rule will be tightened up a bit.

Regarding the desire to see the category above the clue, I'd like to take it even one step farther. When the host reads the clue for one of the Daily Doubles, would it be so difficult to say, "In the category American History, the clue is ... ?"

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

This may have been mentioned when the TOC originally aired, but how does Jones, of all names, not merit a BMS? It feels as if that request has disappeared over the past many months. I hope when a permanent host is finally settled in the role, that rule will be tightened up a bit.

Somewhere in all this debacle, I read that Mike Richards is at least ONE of the judges, if not the only one. That would totally explain the randomness of judging lately...the man who is not interested in trivia is a judge of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Regarding the desire to see the category above the clue, I'd like to take it even one step farther. When the host reads the clue for one of the Daily Doubles, would it be so difficult to say, "In the category American History, the clue is ... ?"

I would hate this, because it would eat up a lot of time.  Imagine the host adding that 60 times.  For quite a lot of clues, this would be even longer than the clue itself.  We already have some games that would not clear the board--I think this would ensure we basically never did.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I would hate this, because it would eat up a lot of time.  Imagine the host adding that 60 times.  For quite a lot of clues, this would be even longer than the clue itself.  We already have some games that would not clear the board--I think this would ensure we basically never did.

The suggestion was just for the DD, not all clues. That is just three times per game. That wouldn't be too much. I would prefer it to be just on the screen, for DD and for FJ, but I'd be OK with it being read. That would work better when I'm listening more than watching, which happens.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

The suggestion was just for the DD, not all clues. That is just three times per game. That wouldn't be too much. I would prefer it to be just on the screen, for DD and for FJ, but I'd be OK with it being read. That would work better when I'm listening more than watching, which happens.

Ooo, good point about only listening.*
But I doubt the half hour format with 3 commercial breaks has enough wiggle room to read the categories for the DDs. Not sure. 
Still, for all clues (even a long one like this one) it could at least appear, like this:

jeopardy-category-suggeston-addition.thumb.jpg.4dce3c25f527249d576e9256d39d677e.jpg

There should be enough room for longer category titles too, like:

Category: THE OED, FROM DVANDVA TO FOLLIS
or even:
Category: THE LATE, GREAT CHADWICK BOSEMAN

--especially since the odds of a really long clue occurring in a really long-titled category are, well, I don't know the odds. You'd have to ask James Holzhauer or maybe Matt Amodio.

*About listening only: The Accessibility Guide on my TV has some Audio options for the visually impaired.
I'm familiar with tagging images for HTML (the web) with titles so screen readers will read aloud the titles of the images to sight-impaired users.
So it would be up to the Jeopardy! people to be sure the categories were properly coded to be read by such TV software. And then it would be up to us to change our TV settings to read them.

I haven't tried it. I wonder if it would describe Mayim's outfits while I was working on a watercolor portrait in the next room?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've always liked Buzzy and it would make me happy if he were selected as perm host although I'm trying not to get invested in anyone. I'm curious to see how MR does as "host" and how he is edited. It would be funny if Sony made him record a new intro saying he's hosting for a week but then he'll be gone cuz he was fired for being ... well, himself.

I love Matt and want to see him win at least 70 games. Or more!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Just three times. I said Daily Doubles only, not for all clues.  If I'm distracted, I'll always pay more attention when I hear the DD sound, but likely won't have heard the category. For only three clues, I think they could do that. It would probably add only 10-15 seconds in total per game. I also like the graphics example posted by @shapeshifter for the full contingent of clues, but would still like a verbal reminder of the category just for DDs.

• Love 2

Category reminders might be nice for the home audience, but I feel like the contestants should not get a reminder. They can already see the categories at all times in the studio. If they lose track, that's on them and is part of the game. I would be interested to hear from people who have been contestants, though, because I've only ever been on my couch!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, dcalley said:

Category reminders might be nice for the home audience, but I feel like the contestants should not get a reminder. They can already see the categories at all times in the studio. If they lose track, that's on them and is part of the game. I would be interested to hear from people who have been contestants, though, because I've only ever been on my couch!

Yes, the Category label example is strictly for the audience screen. I'm 99.9% sure that the clues we see now on the screen are uploaded to the network signal digitally rather than from a camera pointing at the clues. But I could be wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I was SO happy that Veronica beat Ryan. It made my day. 

I couldn't remember who won so I was nervous. I missed his half-hearted clapping for her the first time around.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I'm not watching the reruns, but at the risk of being maudlin I thought I'd stick my head in to say that I miss everyone's interesting commentary and familiar, erm, avatars and am looking forward to next week!  I believe in and enjoy communities of all kinds, including the virtual ones.

Dare one hope the team involved with the show acts quickly and decisively to course correct. and we can all get back to our regularly scheduled anecdotes and tidbits?  I sure hope so!  Best wishes to you all for a fruitful five more days before we all stumble into the new thread.

• Love 10

What happens after the first (and only, right?) week of Richards episodes? The second week of the season should begin 9-20, which is less than 2 weeks away. Wouldn’t those episodes have to have been filmed already? 

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, opus said:

What happens after the first (and only, right?) week of Richards episodes? The second week of the season should begin 9-20, which is less than 2 weeks away. Wouldn’t those episodes have to have been filmed already? 

They had Mayim Bialik step in for 3 weeks’ worth of episodes while they lined up more guest hosts.  Her sitcom does not start filming until late September/early October so she had time to do it.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The Hedwig story!  Because of that Faulkner FJ, my book group is reading Intruder and discussing it this Monday. 

The Faulkner response made me smile. Tuesday was the 18th anniversary of Warren Zevon's death. His song, Mr. Bad Example, uses the phrase 'intruder in the dirt' - I chose to interpret this clue as a subtle salute to Mr. Zevon.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, the Category label example is strictly for the audience screen. I'm 99.9% sure that the clues we see now on the screen are uploaded to the network signal digitally rather than from a camera pointing at the clues. But I could be wrong.

The other on-screen 'reminder' I'd like to see is, whenever there's a clue where you have to figure out an anagram, or find a hidden answer in a phrase (such as "... our Edward's favorite color..." and the answer is "What is Red?), I wish they'd leave the text of the clue on the screen (as they do with the Final Jeopardy clue) so I'd have time to SEE it and figure it out.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

The other on-screen 'reminder' I'd like to see is, whenever there's a clue where you have to figure out an anagram, or find a hidden answer in a phrase (such as "... our Edward's favorite color..." and the answer is "What is Red?), I wish they'd leave the text of the clue on the screen (as they do with the Final Jeopardy clue) so I'd have time to SEE it and figure it out.

Yes. They could have a split screen or inset of the contestant if they think the audience will relate to their facial expressions of puzzling out the correct question. Since most screens are wide now --even a lot of phones'-- splitting it horizontally to leave the clue visible to the viewer shouldn't impact the overall size of the contestant on the other side of the screen or a view of the host, especially since they often just show the upper torso and head anyway.

The reason none of these enhancements have been done is likely because they don't have well enough meshed IT and audience satisfaction staff. This is typical across all institutions. There are few who have both skill sets, and the higher ups who do the hiring seem to value those who excel in just one of those areas. That is not terrible management in and of itself, but when they don't bring the tech folks and the public folks together, stuff falls through the cracks, the cracks widen, and the show can even eventually get sucked into the abyss of cancelation. ☹️

But, realistically, a lot of show success seems to be serendipity. Alex had that je ne sais quoi which was a big part of Jeopardy!'s longevity.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

YES!

^^^^ this! Plus, when they have a category like "Comes from elephant", meaning all the words are made up from letters in "elephant", leave "elephant" on the screen. I can't remember "elephant" and figure out what the answer is at the same time. I mean, I'll come up with an answer, then have to think of "elephant" to see if the answer works or if I need a synonym to make it work. 

7 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

^^^^ this! Plus, when they have a category like "Comes from elephant", meaning all the words are made up from letters in "elephant", leave "elephant" on the screen. I can't remember "elephant" and figure out what the answer is at the same time. I mean, I'll come up with an answer, then have to think of "elephant" to see if the answer works or if I need a synonym to make it work. 

FWIW, yesterday I submitted at jeopardy.com/form/contact-us:

Please include the category title at the top of the screen for each clue as demonstrated here:
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/111452-jeopardy-season-37-2020-2021/?do=findComment&comment=6992145
As another viewer commented also on that page:
"When contestants started at the top and ran down a category, keeping up was easy. Today, it's like trying to watch a flea circus. I don't mind the category-jumping -- it has proven to be a smart strategy -- but I sometimes find it hard to keep up."

On the outside chance that the relevant Jeopardy! Powers That Be see the example graphic on this page via the link I provided, hopefully they will scroll down and read the rest of the suggestions too.

• Love 6
On 9/7/2021 at 8:17 AM, zoey1996 said:

I think paying attention to the category is part of the challenge of Jeopardy.  Not one I'm always up to, mind you.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So proud of myself (for the 2nd time) for knowing Salk and Sabin.  How could anyone not know Salk and Sabin?!?!?  Oh yeah, maybe if you're not 60-something.

I got them both this time but first time around I could only remember Sabin.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think paying attention to the category is part of the challenge of Jeopardy.  Not one I'm always up to, mind you.

Yes, paying attention is part of the challenge. For the contestants, however, the category is right there on the board. Depending on the camera, the home viewer can see only the question or the contestant.

• Love 4

And Nibir still didn't hear me yelling: Newcastle! It's "like carrying coals to Newcastle!" Argh!
Ah! But I am glad Jennifer Quail was the day's winner, and if Nibir had heard me yelling and had not lost $6K in the DD, Jennifer likely would not have been the Tournament of Champions finalist.

Meanwhile:

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And Nibir still didn't hear me yelling: Newcastle!

Even on the first viewing, I thought Nibir just seemed to give up and I thought so again this time.

I still didn't get Rossini.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So proud of myself (for the 2nd time) for knowing Salk and Sabin.  How could anyone not know Salk and Sabin?!?!?  Oh yeah, maybe if you're not 60-something.

I'm 45 and I knew it! (Both times, even!)

• Love 4
17 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Yes, paying attention is part of the challenge. For the contestants, however, the category is right there on the board. Depending on the camera, the home viewer can see only the question or the contestant.

And for me, remembering the category is part and parcel of being good at Jeopardy on the couch.  So I don't think the producers should put the category at the top of every televised clue.  That is just my opinion, of course.

• Love 4

I *really* like the way Buzzy corrects/lets the players know they were wrong, which I think comes from his own experiences as a player, including having experienced both the embarrassment of being wrong and the realization that he might have just blown the game, and needing a bit of encouragement to continue.

For example: In tonight's rerun, Buzzy saying "wrong Frenchman" told the incorrect contestant that as host, Buzzy respected that she was close to the right answer and not making a wild guess.
Being able to come up with those kinds of responses to wrong questions come from his own breadth of knowledge, which is also how he achieved Jeopardy! Champion status.
This is just one example, but I've been noticing them during each game for the last 2 weeks.

I don't recall if Ken Jennings did that too.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I *really* like the way Buzzy corrects/lets the players know they were wrong, which I think comes from his own experiences as a player, including having experienced both the embarrassment of being wrong and the realization that he might have just blown the game, and needing a bit of encouragement to continue.

For example: In tonight's rerun, Buzzy saying "wrong Frenchman" told the incorrect contestant that as host, Buzzy respected that she was close to the right answer and not making a wild guess.
Being able to come up with those kinds of responses to wrong questions come from his own breadth of knowledge, which is also how he achieved Jeopardy! Champion status.
This is just one example, but I've been noticing them during each game for the last 2 weeks.

I don't recall if Ken Jennings did that too.

It also reminds me of how Alex would (typically) handle it - by offering a comment that also showed his own breadth of knowledge, though I wasn't sure how much of it was off the cuff vs advance preparation/reading on the questions.

Of course, Alex could also be snarky if he wanted. Buzzy seems to have less of that, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Re-watching the TOC has made Buzzy my #1 choice for new host.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

They had some stupid football thing instead of Jeopardy! Not even a middle if the night replay. Sigh.

Same on the football pre-game show, but here, Jeopardy! ran in its normal 7:30 time slot on the CW instead of on the NBC local affiliate where it usually runs. I missed the first two minutes or so before I found it this evening. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2021 at 7:21 AM, shapeshifter said:

FWIW, yesterday I submitted at jeopardy.com/form/contact-us:

On the outside chance that the relevant Jeopardy! Powers That Be see the example graphic on this page via the link I provided, hopefully they will scroll down and read the rest of the suggestions too.

Thank you. We sit here and brainstorm, and you did something. Huzzah!

On 9/8/2021 at 1:07 PM, proserpina65 said:

I can see that it would be - but for me, in my mind, I'm a contestant and I want all the advantages the contestants have. 😄

On 9/8/2021 at 2:11 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Missed it on the last go-around. Got it right this time (I'm 60-something)

On 9/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, Trey said:

I got them both this time but first time around I could only remember Sabin.

Exactly opposite for me. I always remember Salk. So thanks to Jeopardy, I now have Sabin in the mix.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

I did love that it ended with 2 men and 2 women on stage, and it was the 2 men who were visibly tearing up (Sam may have sobbed). 

2 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, last episode of the season and the thread. 

Now we just have to get through next week with MR (because there's no chance they're going to cut it with Betty White reading the clues).

Then 3 weeks of Mayim.

And then...maybe Buzzy?

• Love 7

From the media thread:

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Hah! I posted upthread about Matt's ubiquitous use of "What is..." being a strategy to conserve thinking time this way:

...Fans immediately noticed — and started complaining — that he started every answer with “what is,” no matter the subject. (“What is John Goodman?”) Amodio figured it would be a solid strategy, so he wouldn’t have to waste even a second deciding what word would precede his answer....

and regarding:

... during the hiatus, he spent plenty of time watching movies, binge-watching TV shows and listening to Billboard top hits to brush up on pop culture, possibly his weakest subject.

Wow. He will be even more unstoppable!

• Love 4

This thread was a lot of fun last year.  I always felt like the table for one was the party table and my favorite week celebration wise was the only week I spent at the table for zero.  I leaned into the round carbs and had a blast.  

I'm in!   

• Love 3