Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 8/9/2021 at 8:43 AM, 3 is enough said:

My personal favorites of all the guest hosts were Buzzy Cohen and David Faber.

I liked Faber too.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 5

If one person has to clarify beach volleyball, then I agree more info should have been required for Ark of the Covenant.

I loved both of the challengers today. Was sorry they didn't get to play more, but I also like Matt, so I guess it's all good. And if you lose to Matt, you are in good company, and certainly can't consider it a personal failing.

I am ashamed that neither I nor any of the contestants knew the flag of Denmark. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I loved both of the challengers today. Was sorry they didn't get to play more, but I also like Matt, so I guess it's all good.

Same here, but I was rooting for Silpa after the interviews, as I love that she's going to donate her winnings to a bail fund.  On a shallow note, she has gorgeous hair.

The Anonymous TS surprised me a bit, as did Denmark - that one just because I figure flags are among the things most people preparing to compete on J! study, so I was surprised none of the three knew it, especially when it was narrowed down to a Scandinavian country.

I missed three in kid books and one in dog movies, but otherwise ran the first round. 

In DJ, I only ran nations.  I missed three of the prophets (another damn bible category, of course) and three of the TV roles, plus two in glass and one each in body parts and music.  So only ten, which is good for me in DJ.

FJ was an instaget, so it was a good game overall.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Same here, but I was rooting for Silpa after the interviews, as I love that she's going to donate her winnings to a bail fund.  On a shallow note, she has gorgeous hair.

I loved her for that donation plan. Even Joe B expressed enthusiasm, and I somehow thought he wouldn't. And yes, her hair was fantastic.

• Love 3
On 8/8/2021 at 3:23 PM, 853fisher said:

But overall expectations could have been set a little differently at least.  As it is, Mike seems to have pissed off some people on the right by seeming to book all “liberal establishment” types for the guest gigs, and now some people on the left by picking Mike after “dangling the possibility” of someone more demographically progressive or even supposedly cynically using them for media attention. I think the needle could have been threaded with more care and cut down on all this.  I guess we can only hope that more people are pleased or neutral about his appointment than seem to have made themselves known, or that love for the game outweighs opinions of him.  I am in the latter camp myself.

What?

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

If one person has to clarify beach volleyball, then I agree more info should have been required for Ark of the Covenant.

I loved both of the challengers today. Was sorry they didn't get to play more, but I also like Matt, so I guess it's all good. And if you lose to Matt, you are in good company, and certainly can't consider it a personal failing.

I am ashamed that neither I nor any of the contestants knew the flag of Denmark. 

My late, very tall (Danish) uncle was always known as The Great Dane.  He was the sweetest man ever.  I got the flag.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, rubaco said:

Well, it wasn't the Dark Ages. Those of us who were on TWOP had a pretty active Jeopardy! forum going. Most of us enjoyed watching Ken, but of course there were some folks who didn't like his dominance and/or his long run. @M. Darcy was among us and competed against the guy for one game, there was a poster called DragonScribe who was a writer on the show, and there were times when Ken stopped by himself. 

Proof.

Very cool, thanks. I was on TWOP, but not in the Jeopardy forum. They had the best recaps ever - I haven't seen any that really compare since.

12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Now it is annoying me about what is accepted for matt's answers.  I'm sure he knows them but still make him answer.  Arc for arc of the covenant? Come on!!

Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but in this particular case it did. It's Arc of the Covenant, not Noah's Ark.

I did pretty well - I didn't run a category, but I got a number in pretty much every category. No FJ though. That was completely unfamiliar to me.

Do you think they would have taken "armoire" instead of chest? Probably not, but that's what I went with. It does have "arm" in it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6

Steinway was my only ts too but I did get FJ.  It's always a good game when I get FJ🙂

eta:

Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but in this particular case it did. It's Arc of the Covenant, not Noah's Ark.

I was really annoyed that they gave him that.  It definitely needed a bms.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Do you think they would have taken "armoire" instead of chest? Probably not, but that's what I went with. It does have "arm" in it.

I don't think so. The category was "Also a body part" not "Contains a body part."

10 minutes ago, Trey said:

I really hope once they get a new permanent host in place they will tighten things up again. I'm trying to cut the guest hosts a little slack but they've been way more lenient on a lot of responses over the last few months than I think Alex would have been.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Anonymous TS surprised me a bit

I was trying to recall what Anonymous called themselves; I got as far as musing it was something like "Know Nothings" or some other anonymous name.
I realize the game isn't any faster with Matt playing, but it just feels like I have less time to come up with the correct response.

5 hours ago, Trey said:

Editing my logic after a swim and a shower for this clue:

• King David consulted with the prophet Nathan about his intention to build a structure to hold this chest

Chronologically, Matt's "Ark" for Ar[k] of the Covenant refers to a time period (King David's) long after Noah's, but that alone does not rule out "Noah's Ark" from being the intended answer the way a clue about Noah building something would rule out it being the Ark of the Covenant, which had not yet come to be (Biblically speaking; don't know about Indiana Jones-wise).

So I am revising my conclusion to be that not only did it bother me too that Matt didn't say "Ark of the Covenant," but a BMS was in order.

Edited by shapeshifter
faulty logic on my part
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Chronologically, Matt's "Ark" for Ar[k] of the Covenant does not need a BMS because the clue--

• King David consulted with the prophet Nathan about his intention to build a structure to hold this chest

--refers to a time period (King David's) long after Noah's.
Given this factoid, I'm guessing Alex, like Joe, would have just added the "of the Covenant."

It bothered me too that he didn't say "Ark of the Covenant," but it's not wrong.

I think it's not wrong for another reason.  It's often referred to as just the Ark in the Bible.  I think moreso than as the Ark of the Covenant. It's also called the Ark of the Testament, and the Ark of the Lord.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was trying to recall what Anonymous called themselves; I got as far as musing it was something like "Know Nothings" or some other anonymous name.
I realize the game isn't any faster with Matt playing, but it just feels like I have less time to come up with the correct response.

I could only come up with "Everyone" which was the Anonymous clone on Elementary.

We do have less time to come up with the correct question because Matt is so fast and he gets most of the clues.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Trey said:

I could only come up with "Everyone" which was the Anonymous clone on Elementary.

We do have less time to come up with the correct question because Matt is so fast and he gets most of the clues.

Right! Elementary's "Everyone" was rattling around in the back of my mind too!
But if Matt really does do it faster (and he sure seems to!), how are the games not over in a shorter time?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I thought answers were accepted based on the judges' ruling, not the host. Maybe someone whose been the show can shed some light.

I'm sure Alex had a better sense of when they would normally ask for more info (I'm assuming the host has the anticipated correct response in front of them...); they probably didn't need to actively rule on every question...maybe in the interest of keeping things moving with short-term, inexperienced hosts they're being more lenient?

• Love 1

Totally agree.  Richards was just passable as a host (never mind any baggage he might have) and Bialik fell from 10 to 2 in my opinion with her constant giggling.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 6

Archive day for me for yesterday's game.

I did get FJ, but the only TS I got was Steinway.  I feel like I might have gotten cornet from the photo, but for some reason, I can't see the photos on the archive -- even when I click the link.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My current avatar is actually a giant waterfall in Iceland, but I'm not a fan of it as an avatar, either.  I can't recognize myself! 

It is a very nice photo.  But I love your penguin(s) avatar.

• Love 1

Ark of the covenant because that's what Indiana Jones calls it.

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

• Love 2
On 8/9/2021 at 8:04 PM, stonehaven said:

I will watch tomorrow and then I am out of town for a week so my torture will be short-lived.

Is that short-livd or short-līvd (long i), the way Alex said it? :)

I didnt really care for mayim as host so her doing prime time and spin off specials, whatever that is, I'm 'meh' on. She was trying way too hard to he funny when hosting.  Tone it down this isnt the big bang theory with chuck Lorres bland writing.  

And while Richards is an ok choice, I like him just fine, I am left pretty unimpressed that after, what, two dozen guest hosts over months that they ended up being the choices. 

Whatever though. I'll still watch at least the nightly shows.  Not sure about the specials.  Not because of mayim but just because it's not like Ive been begging for more jeopardy.  It's already on five nights a week most of the year.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 6

I very much enjoyed the International Space Station category, right in my wheelhouse! I've seen it at least 100 times, sometimes it will make two or three passes in a night. For those who have never seen it, here's a guide for when and where it will be. Just zero in on the map on the town closest to your location, and click on it - https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

One of the things I always got from Alex's Jeopardy was a solid sense of integrity.  Now that's been blown out of the water.  Obviously Mike Richard's was a "fix", and if there was a need for a secondary host, Mayim Bialik was at the bottom of that list. I feel like I need a long hot shower after reading that crap.

• Love 5

3 hours ago, Trey said:

Totally agree.  Richards was just passable as a host (never mind any baggage he might have) and Bialik fell from 10 to 2 in my opinion with her constant giggling.

Ugh. The laughing got so annoying. Looks like I won't have to hear it every night, at least. (Over in the guest host thread trying to figure out what spinoff means.) Strictly from a "how were they while hosting the game" point of view, I'm okay with Mike. In that he didn't annoy the hell out of me.

• Love 3

Only three TS tonight... The only one I got was apricot (I also tried to get the real thing today but they didn't have them; I settled for peaches instead).

Joe does get a little yell-y, doesn't he?

This is the second time this week Matt got FJ wrong after crossing out the right answer.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I said Egypt.  

I got the ts of Genesis (the only one I got in that category) and apricot (pronounced with a short A).

I got the entire category of 3 syllables right and the entire category of math wrong:(

• Love 2

I had said Libya for FJ today, for the sole reason that I remembered it having just a plain green flag (no design, no other colours). Wikipedia tells me that it hasn't used that flag since 2011, so turns out that wasn't even valid logic.

Had I thought of Egypt or Liberia, I would have gone with one of them (probably Egypt), but I was too stuck on Libya. I never would have guessed Ethiopia, as I knew it was occupied by Italy and know some Ethiopians who also speak Italian even today, but Wikipedia tells me it was still considered sovereign even as "Italian Ethiopia".

• Useful 1

I was glad Joe elicited from Max what kind of musician he was, since I was wondering, and now I want to know what musical he was talking about!

Having been burned a few times, Matt is definitely back to conservative wagering in FJ.  I wonder which categories might tempt him to bet big again.

I enjoy learning about Africa.  I recalled that Ethiopia was one of very few not to have been colonized by the late 1800s, which was the basis of my educated guess.

12 minutes ago, SHD said:

I don’t know...I thought Joe Buck was kind of funny today. Maybe it’s some kind of Stockholm Syndrome situation.

You and me both.  Blink twice if you'd like the others to call someone.  But seriously, I think he livens Matt up just a little, in a good way.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

The word "apricot" is related to "precocious," because apricot trees bloom as soon as the weather becomes warm in the spring.  If the weather turns cold again, that year's crop of fruit can be lost.  (I learned that because a relative lives where apricots can be grown, but they wouldn't have a snowball's chance where I am.)

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I was all ready to call foul on the judges giving Matt “cockadoodle,” but I just googled it and apparently that is actually another name for that cross-breed! I guess when you are making up words, there’s no real official list. I see “spoodle” as another choice. 😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The look on Brianna face after they gave him cockadoodle, then he squeezed in the bms daily double.....poor girl though she probably would have lost anyway. 

Maybe not. There were about 5 minutes there when it looked as though she might get within striking distance of Matt. But if cockadoodle is right, she can’t cry foul. I’m glad Matt had to BMS about the type of dinosaur.

I questioned Joe’s saying Matt is breaking records. The only one he’s actually shattered so far is playing under the most hosts. We’ll see if he breaks any others. He well might. 

I guessed Liberia for FJ, mainly because it’s one of those places the writers seem to like.

• Love 2

It was an archive game for me just now, and I'd had several drinks, so I wasn't sure how this was going to go. 

I didn't know a single clue in Have a Few Laughs, but other than that I only missed one in August (maybe the photo would have lead me to guess icebreaker, but I doubt it) in the first round.

In DJ, I ran ish, math (which I find rather impressive tipsy), and fruits & vegetables (giving myself credit for the clues I'm confident I would have recognized had I been able to see the pictures).  I missed three in Shakespeare, two in albums, and one in China, and got FJ, so a great game for me.

The apricot TS was a doozy.  I'm kind of surprised no one knew "Invisible Touch" = Genesis, but without seeing the ages of the contestants, it's entirely possible I shouldn't be.

The Communist clue belonged in a Teen Tournament, and in the first round, not DJ.

I'm all for giving Matt credit for cockadoodle; with all these ridiculous portmanteaus from people who refuse to proudly acknowledge their dog as a mutt, if the answer makes sense from the two actual breeds, it's as good as any other that also fits.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Communist clue belonged in a Teen Tournament, and in the first round, not DJ.

Which is why Matt, my boyfriend, and myself all sounded hesitant when we said the answer because I was sure we were missing something!*

FJ was an IG because for some reason the flags of Africa stick in my head more than other continents. 

*I obviously can’t speak for Matt but it seemed that way! 

40 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

guessed Liberia for FJ, mainly because it’s one of those places the writers seem to like.

I always remember Liberia because it’s the only flag in Africa that has red, white and blue. In addition has star and stripes because of how it was founded. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

How this is different from the current College Championship I couldn't tell you.

Based on how it’s written they will decide the 15 Universities who will face off and the students after, rather than whatever schools happen to appear when individuals apply for the college tournament. Wouldn’t surprise me if there is a team element because it seems clearly to be due to the success of College Bowl. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Trey said:

I came up with Anonymous, but I was sure I was using the term from Elementary. 😄

13 hours ago, Roaster said:

For such a great player, Matt seems to have a lot of problems with Final Jeopardys.

And sadly, it was from second guessing himself. What's that, two FJ's where he had the right answer but crossed it out. I think he's getting tired. He's missing more questions lately. Though he has enough money to lose them and still keep way ahead of the other competitors.

12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The look on Brianna face after they gave him cockadoodle, then he squeezed in the bms daily double.....poor girl though she probably would have lost anyway.

I said cockadoodle too, but I know nothing about the poodle mixes. I kind of prefer cockadoodle, it's fun.

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I always remember Liberia because it’s the only flag in Africa that has red, white and blue. In addition has star and stripes because of how it was founded. 

I remember Liberia primarily because it's mistakenly used in texts when people think they're putting in the American flag. So although I stink at flags (saw the category and said an expletive), I knew not to pick that one.

• Love 4