Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Buzzy or David Faber.  I would think that they would offer it to Mayim, but apparently she has other commitments which is why they gave her the prime time specials.  Also damage control.

I just hope they make a decision soon.  Guest hosts while they are getting everything squared away, but new host ASAP.

ETA:  They started taping yesterday.  Will they air those episodes?  Not fair to the contestants if they don't or choose to do it over.  Going to be AWKWARD.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 6

I love LeVar Burton, but I hope they don’t choose him.  I honestly thought he was overly enthusiastic in his reading and didn’t fit the part of host as well as he could have.  He was just the male Katie Couric…too bubbly, too excited to be there.  I can’t even say I love Mayim Bialek  being chosen for the “specials”, because she was far too animated, as well.  The star of Jeopardy needs to be the contestants and the knowledge, not the host.

Edited by CraftyHazel
Autocorrect changed Mayim’s surname.
  • Love 11

Well not surprised after some of the stuff that surfaces. 

They hired him as a producer and then as new host.  How did they not know about these past problems or actions?  Or did they know and ignored it? 

Jeopardy really screwed up this whole process. 

And more guest hosts!!!  Ugghhhhh....

2 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I love LeVar Burton, but I hope they don’t choose him.  I honestly thought he was overly enthusiastic in his reading and didn’t fit the part of host as well as he could have.  He was just the male Katie Couric…too bubbly, too excited to be there.  I can’t even say I love Mayim Bailey being chosen for the “specials”, because she was far too animated, as well.  The star of Jeopardy needs to be the contestants and the knowledge, not the host.

I am so sick and tired of hearing social media hype of him and how levar Burton  basically should just be given the job no matter how much he sucked as guest host.  He was in the bottom tier if a very large group.  Just no.   

• Love 15
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Buzzy or David Faber.  I would think that they would offer it to Mayim, but apparently she has other commitments which is why they gave her the prime time specials.  Also damage control.

I just hope they make a decision soon.  Guest hosts while they are getting everything squared away, but new host ASAP.

ETA:  They started taping yesterday.  Will they air those episodes?  Not fair to the contestants if they don't or choose to do it over.  Going to be AWKWARD.

I didn't like her much as host and don't want her as host, but if mayim was really offered the job and turned it down, that's a very bad business, personal and financial decision.  

But then I never believed that was really true I think it was spin after the Richards hire.  

• Love 1

LeVar Burton's minions are on social media campaigning hard for him again.  I just hope TPTB ignore it all and remember how unsuited for the job he was, despite his (over) enthusiasm.  Buzzy would be a good fit. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I didn't like her much as host and don't want her as host, but if mayim was really offered the job and turned it down, that's a very bad business, personal and financial decision.  

Apparently her prime time show got renewed (though god knows why since it was awful) and she's pretty busy with that and with her acting career.

15 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

LeVar Burton's minions

You mean his fans?  Because that's what the vast majority of them are: fans.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

When you're the lead off topic in Stephen Colbert's monologue, you know your time is up. 

I noticed that when he was naming off some of the guest hosts, LeVar got the loudest cheers.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, oakville said:

I there a chance that Ken Jennngs would be offered the full time job ?

There is a possibility that Ken may have a conflict with The Chase.  Also might be why Brad Rutter was never asked to guest host.  

The whole thing is just a mess.  When the new season starts, we will have a week of "the guy who had to quit" hosting, and sadly that will detract from the fact that the returning champ is on a very impressive streak.

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Apparently her prime time show got renewed (though god knows why since it was awful) and she's pretty busy with that and with her acting career.

You mean his fans?  Because that's what the vast majority of them are: fans.

You are named jeopardy host and you have a lifetime guaranteed job that is let's face it, pretty easy in comparison to other acting gigs.  Big money, no chance of cancellation, notoriety and I would think you could work around the scheduling if you have to.  Don't they tape all five weekly episodes in one day?   

You turn that down for a very bad sitcom that will likely be cancelled by mid season, if she is lucky? 

If she really did that, I don't get it at all. Jeopardy host I would rate as one of the best jobs in Hollywood. Rarely any controversy.  You just have to show up read questions and don't mess up.  

Also my choice my the beginning has always been Neil Patrick Harris.  He'd be perfect.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Speculation from someone who knows nothing about how this all works: Bialik's contract for her sitcom probably has "exclusivity" language in it that bars her from taking the regular Jeopardy gig (but allows her to host the limited specials). There's also probably a buyout/penalty amount that Jeopardy could pay if it really wanted her to host full-time.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 8/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, shapeshifter said:

Dear Matt Amodio, 
Whenever you find it appropriate, please grant an interview or post online what your rationale was for your last season 37 Final Jeopardy! wager of $1.
Thank you, 
The rest of us

Hey, Matt Amodio👋  
We may have forgotten about you in the midst of this ignominious end to Alex’s last season, but maybe that’s a good thing for you? Less stress? 
See you in season 38!
Sincerely,   
Jeopardy! fans

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

2 hours ago, Suzysite said:

LeVar Burton's minions

You mean his fans?  Because that's what the vast majority of them are: fans

No, I'm perfectly capable of stating exactly what I mean.   The stumping for him and doing his campaigning is the reason I said minions.   

Edited by Suzysite
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Speculation from someone who knows nothing about how this all works: Bialik's contract for her sitcom probably has "exclusivity" language in it that bars her from taking the regular Jeopardy gig (but allows her to host the limited specials). There's also probably a buyout/penalty amount that Jeopardy could pay if it really wanted her to host full-time.

If Mayim quit she'd put people who work on her sitcom out of a job. That wouldn't be a good look for her even if Jeopardy is a dream job. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Marisagf said:

https://apple.news/A3SSB46pGQqGD6_Ale5Fvfg

The five eps he shot will air 

That week will be Curb Your Enthusiasm levels of awkwardness.

But they have to air them. What if someone beat Matt that week? You tell them, “Oops, nope, those shows don’t count”? Conversely, Matt could have added a hundred or two hundred thousand to his total. “No, sorry, we’re taking that away”.

Either way they’d just be digging a deeper hole.

• Love 9

Tonight featured Alex at Niagara Falls (j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2872).
The NIAGARA FALLS category was left until the end of the first round, so when Alex said "a minute to go" I was immeasurably sad that we might not see all of his in-person clues from that one place I have seen, just as we did not see more of his clues after his untimely passing last year. 
But at least they did have time for all of Alex's clues from Niagara after all. 

The rest of this season's episodes--thanks to @dbklmt:

Week 2: August 23 - 27

Monday, Aug. 23            Journey Through Israel  (Original Airdate: 11/23/09)
Tuesday, Aug. 24           Galápagos Wildlife  (Original Airdate: 12/09/09)
Wednesday, Aug. 25      Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)
Thursday, Aug. 26          Petra  (Original Airdate: 11/14/11)
Friday, Aug. 27               National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

If Mayim quit she'd put people who work on her sitcom out of a job. That wouldn't be a good look for her even if Jeopardy is a dream job. 

Or They could do the show without her. It's not like the show was working so we'll WITH her.  

Actors and actresses quit shows all the time. 

Plus like I side that shows lifespan is limited anyway whether she stays or not. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dcalley said:

And that is just as much speculation from you.   Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't have those things 

But choosing that show over a lifetime hosting gig for Jeopardy is just not smart.

But as long as we are speculating that show was on the cancellation list and barely was renewed in the spring. The jeopardy job she knew she was up for at that time. I find it hard to believe she couldn't convince them to give her an out to host jeopardy at that time whether it was or was not enewed.  It's not like that show had huge leverage in the situation.  

14 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Or They could do the show without her. It's not like the show was working so we'll WITH her.  

She's Kat of Call Me Kat.  I really don't think she can quit and have the show go on.  The show is all about her. And even if she were to just quit, contracts might prohibit her from working for a period of time. 

I think the awkward thing about next season is whether or not Mike introduces himself as the next host.

It's a shame this champ is overshadowed by the controversy. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

She's Kat of Call Me Kat.  I really don't think she can quit and have the show go on.  The show is all about her.

Her show was one of FOX's top rated sitcoms. Deadline always thought it was likely a renewal.

And even if she were to just quit, contracts might prohibit her from working for a period of time. 

Characters are recast or redone all the time. 

The show runner left after the season. 

And fox literally only had three live action sitcoms last year and one, last man standing, was ending. So a top rated fox sitcom means little. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ask Valerie Harper how that works.

Yup. A quick title change to Call Us Kat’s Family, and they’ll be good to go.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ask Valerie Harper how that works.

Valerie was fired;  She didn't quit. And that one instance, from 1987, is the one time I can recall the titular character leaving a show so it doesn't happen all that often.

I heard the last episode of the season already aired.  Do they do reruns until the new season starts?

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And that is just as much speculation from you.   Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't have those things 

But choosing that show over a lifetime hosting gig for Jeopardy is just not smart.

But as long as we are speculating that show was on the cancellation list and barely was renewed in the spring. The jeopardy job she knew she was up for at that time. I find it hard to believe she couldn't convince them to give her an out to host jeopardy at that time whether it was or was not enewed.  It's not like that show had huge leverage in the situation.  

A contract's a contract, even for a crappy show.
Reminds me of a very similar situation and for an even higher profile role than the host of Jeopardy! as the role was James Bond.   For the younger members of our group who might not be aware of this, watch your step getting into the wayback machine as we're heading for 1987.
James Bond: How Pierce Brosnan Almost Played 007 Before GoldenEye

Producers first wanted [Timothy] Dalton for the role, but he had a scheduling conflict, so the role was then offered to [Pierce] Brosnan. There was one problem, Brosnan was still under contract to NBC for the TV series Remington Steele. However, NBC canceled the series after season 4, leaving him free to suit up as 007.

That was until, ironically, Brosnan being cast as Bond caused a rise in interest in Remington Steele, leading NBC to decide not to cancel it, as they had a 60-day window to change their mind. NBC had become quite keen on having one of their network's stars be James Bond though, and offered to do whatever necessary to make it possible for Brosnan to do both projects. That didn't work for Bond franchise producer Albert Broccoli though, who wasn't interested in having his character associated with a network TV series. Thus, Brosnan was let go from The Living Daylights, and amusingly, the interim period had allowed Dalton to become available for the film. Sadly for Brosnan, NBC again canceled Remington Steele after an abbreviated six-episode fifth season, but of course, things worked out for him eventually.

Remington Steele wasn't just on the potential cancellation list, it was ACTUALLY cancelled, yet NBC was able to enforce Brosnan's contract to bring him back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I heard the last episode of the season already aired.  Do they do reruns until the new season starts?

They're running two weeks of "Around the World with Alex" episodes (same ones that ran back in December) and then the Tournament of Champions.

• Useful 2
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They're running two weeks of "Around the World with Alex" episodes (same ones that ran back in December) and then the Tournament of Champions.

Funny, because I'm watching the "Around The World With Alex" episodes I recorded when they aired. I just wasn't ready to see them while I was still so sad about his passing. It's a nice diversion during the hiatus, and eight months later, I'm finding them sweetly nostalgic, rather than sad.

• Love 6

I'd be happy if Levar Burton got the hosting job. I'm not a minion or big fan of his otherwise. Reading Rainbow was after my childhood and before my son's. I didn't watch Star Trek:TNG (I'm a DS9 fan). But I enjoyed his stint as guest host because he wasn't trying to be an Alex clone.  OMG, I can't believe all the "X didn't pace the questions right, Y looked too happy, Z doesn't have the right voice." They might as well just have an animatronic Trebeck to keep some people happy! IMO, the new host needs to be able to make the job their own, not copy someone else. 

Edited by EllenB
Autocorrupt doesn't like Me
  • Love 14
16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It turned into a lifetime gig for Alex, but that doesn't mean it will be a lifetime gig for anyone else. And I'm reasonably sure it wasn't posited as a lifetime gig when Alex got the job. It just developed into one.

Even it were offered as one, there are plenty of people who wouldn't want a lifetime job, myself included. It can become a prison. 

People have lots of reasons for taking or not taking a job - what looks great to someone will seem terrible or constraining to someone else. Smart isn't really a factor, in my opinion. It's what you value in terms of work and life.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they had rotating guest hosts forever. I like the idea of keeping it fresh, and making it a charity thing besides.

I'm not against a permanent or long term host, but I don't really care if they have one or not.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they had rotating guest hosts forever. I like the idea of keeping it fresh, and making it a charity thing besides.

I feel like it's not fair to the players to have a frequently-changing host. They don't know what to expect, the end-of-the-run champ comes back to a different host for the next game, and if the host makes a mistake because it's their first game and they're nervous, or can't keep up, or whatever (or just not good at running things effectively) it could affect the game and possibly unfairly disadvantage a player. I think one consistent host who is adept at keeping the game going smoothly is better for everyone. That's partly why I wish they would just appoint one interim host if they can't make a decision on a long-term hire. It's hard to keep the focus on the game when there's a new person at the podium every other week. The other reason being that there's already been too much drama. I miss my reliable J! game where I'm not at least subconsciously trying to judge whether I like the host or not, or getting annoyed by whatever distracting habit they might have.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I feel like it's not fair to the players to have a frequently-changing host. They don't know what to expect, the end-of-the-run champ comes back to a different host for the next game, and if the host makes a mistake because it's their first game and they're nervous, or can't keep up, or whatever (or just not good at running things effectively) it could affect the game and possibly unfairly disadvantage a player. 

Matt's run is even more impressive when you think about it this way.

• Love 19

In today's rerun from November 23, 2009, an energetic, 69-year-old Alex bounded out in the beginning.🤍
It was nice seeing him floating in the Dead Sea in the sunshine too, in a video for the JOURNEY THROUGH ISRAEL category.

This week:
Monday, Aug. 23            Journey Through Israel  (Original Airdate: 11/23/09)
Tuesday, Aug. 24           Galápagos Wildlife  (Original Airdate: 12/09/09)
Wednesday, Aug. 25      Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)
Thursday, Aug. 26          Petra  (Original Airdate: 11/14/11)
Friday, Aug. 27               National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

A new Jeopardy! Drinking Game to replace "Genre."  LOL

Just don't base it on how often she laughs when confirming a correct response or we'll all be passed out before Final Jeopardy.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2