Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Giant's Causeway (I've been there -- it's super cool)

I liked it, too.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never seen ANY of the TV shows, yet via osmosis, I knew Lovey Howell.

Same here, and I also correctly guessed Fresh Off the Boat, since, sadly, there aren't many shows about Asian families to choose from.  I missed another three in novels, and one each in ash tree and souvenirs; I only ran oceanographic terms and unsafe words in the first round.

In DJ, knowing what year things happened was my terrible category; I missed three.  But I ran ancient symbols, old synonyms, and G places, and only missed one each in the other two.

I had no idea on FJ, though; I've never read Harry Potter, so salazar didn't help me (to me, it's a Sonoran restaurant in Frogtown [L.A.]) and all I know about snakes is I'm afraid of them, so trimeresurus didn't help me, either.

• Love 4

Well now there are old allegations against Richards, the only thing I thought could hold up the hiring, so it's not finished yet.  

https://deadline.com/2021/08/jeopardy-host-controversy-mike-richards-ken-jennings-search-1234810536/amp/

And who are these fans that want levar Burton so bad that I read about in every article?   It's not happening.  He practically had to beg for a guest spot and they threw him in st the end.  And he sucked.  Not happening. 

And I personally like levar. Big star trek TNG fan.  Just like I like Aaron Rodgers as a football player. But neither should host. 

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well now there are old allegations against Richards, the only thing I thought could hold up the hiring, so it's not finished yet.  

https://deadline.com/2021/08/jeopardy-host-controversy-mike-richards-ken-jennings-search-1234810536/amp/

And who are these fans that want levar Burton so bad that I read about in every article?   It's not happening.  He practically had to beg for a guest spot and they threw him in st the end.  And he sucked.  Not happening. 

And I personally like levar. Big star trek TNG fan.  Just like I like Aaron Rodgers as a football player. But neither should host. 

There are many people on Twitter who are mad that he wasn't chosen as host. I tried to watch tonight's episode on You Tube but they kept skipping clues. Mike Richards is also Executive Producer on Wheel of Fortune so Sony will have to find someone to replace him there too.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Jeopardy! created its own mess with Levar Burton.  He is well liked because so many remember him from their childhoods and other notable roles.  He expressed interest in guest hosting but instead of bringing him in right away, they waited.  While people were waiting, they campaigned.  They got invested in "winning"

Having him get the gig is more about them winning than it is about his performance.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Why painful?  I think David Faber has done a fine job.

I agree that Faber did well. I am guessing “painful” was a reference to Matt and his repeated runaway games.

I know zilch about Joe Buck. The only Joe Buck I’m familiar with is the one in Midnight Cowboy.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

2 incorrect responses tonight, based solely on a missing "s". 

--

If they're already taping the new season, does that mean they've been using Richards for the host for those?

Yessss. I noticed that. 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Yessss. I noticed that. 

I sssee what you did there.

Only 1 ts for me: drum.

I've read a couple of Harry Potter books but that clue meant nothing to me.  I guess the information was in the books I didn't read.

I do like Matt (he's really grown on me) but I am tired of all these lopsided games.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Trey said:

read a couple of Harry Potter books but that clue meant nothing to me.  I guess the information was in the books I didn't read.

I've actually read them all (and saw all the movies). I didn't get it based on them, though. I got it based on "book series" and the name sounding kind of "magical" to me, so I figured "Harry Potter" and the only animal that I could think of (that was prominent in the books) was "snake". 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I do like Matt (he's really grown on me) but I am tired of all these lopsided games.

Matt is likable enough, but he seems to be one of those people with a photographic memory. Yay for him but the game gets a bit dull with one person winning. He does the tactic of grabbing the 1,000/2,000 questions first, which works in his favor, but again, boring.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of The Sword and the Stone, nino, drum, Giant's Causeway (I've been there -- it's super cool), and Don't Cry Out Loud.

I got The Sword in the Stone because my sixth grade teacher read it to us. I'm not sure why we had "storytime" in the sixth grade, but we were in a small school with few resources.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do I get extra credit for singing "Love the one you're with!" for SONGS THAT GIVE ADVICE for $400?
I do wish David Faber had sung the $2000 song -- he obviously wanted to.

If you do, I do. 😉

12 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I almost was wrong on the Don't Cry Out Loud clue as I swear I get Melissa Manchester and Melissa Ethridge confused for a moment. I thought the answer was "Come To My Window"...but then I corrected myself...and then I wondered for a few moments how many people named Melissa are famous singers?

Thank you! I had the same problem, and didn't realize it until your post (which means I was just wrong, not almost wrong)...sigh.

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was saddened by how poorly Levar did. And I liked Aaron, but though his laid back manner and subtle-ish humor didn't quite work for a fast paced game.

As for FJ - I've read all the Harry Potter books (more than once), but when I saw the clue I couldn't figure out where I knew the name Salazar from. I said lizard instead. Sigh...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I've actually read them all (and saw all the movies). I didn't get it based on them, though. I got it based on "book series" and the name sounding kind of "magical" to me, so I figured "Harry Potter" and the only animal that I could think of (that was prominent in the books) was "snake". 

I read them all and saw the movies but it's been a long time and I'm not someone who gets into fandoms and stuff so I don't retain a lot of the details. I recognized it as soon as the answer was revealed (and I felt like "salazar" should have been the pertinent clue) but my brain just didn't go there.

1 hour ago, nokat said:

Matt is likable enough, but he seems to be one of those people with a photographic memory. Yay for him but the game gets a bit dull with one person winning. He does the tactic of grabbing the 1,000/2,000 questions first, which works in his favor, but again, boring.

I don't mind; I'm mostly watching to see how I do with the clues. I like seeing someone do really well (as long as I like that person; if they annoy me a lot I want them to go). I enjoyed Matt's "wow" reaction at being told he was #5 in winnings.

49 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got The Sword in the Stone because my sixth grade teacher read it to us. I'm not sure why we had "storytime" in the sixth grade, but we were in a small school with few resources.

We got read to in fourth grade; all three classes gathered in the middle of our "pod." They read Sleepy Hollow at Halloween, and James and the Giant Peach (maybe others but that's all I remember).

52 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was saddened by how poorly Levar did. And I liked Aaron, but though his laid back manner and subtle-ish humor didn't quite work for a fast paced game.

I liked Aaron, too, but he had to grow on me. It took me a couple days to really get his sense of humor. You kind of have to be able to see the expression on his face, and they don't show the host all that much. When they did show his face I could tell he was really enjoying the experience, but his voice on its own is a little too deadpan sometimes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

As for FJ - I've read all the Harry Potter books (more than once), but when I saw the clue I couldn't figure out where I knew the name Salazar from. I said lizard instead. Sigh...

I think in the movies you only heard the name a couple times. I think it was the second book where you would learn about the four houses.

They also seemed to like alliteration. Salazar Slytherin, Helga Huffelpuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Godric Gryffindor. :P

Edited by nokat
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I agree that Faber did well. I am guessing “painful” was a reference to Matt and his repeated runaway games.

I wasn't watching Jeopardy when Ken Jennings was playing.  Were people complaining about him and his many wins?  I enjoy watching Matt because he seems like a nice guy, is super intelligent, and isn't arrogant.  I hope he continues to win so he can buy a nice house, which he said is what he wants to do.

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I wasn't watching Jeopardy when Ken Jennings was playing.  Were people complaining about him and his many wins?  

Some did. I remember commenting on the old TwoP boards around the time his wins numbered twenty-something that I was starting to root for him to lose. (Little did I know...) Same complaint...that he not only won but that almost all his wins were runaways. And Ken didn’t do the “start at the bottom” thing, so that there was a bit more suspense for a longer time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, nokat said:

I think in the movies you only heard the name a couple times. I think it was the second book where you would learn about the four houses.

They also seemed to like alliteration. Salazar Slytherin, Helga Huffelpuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Godric Gryffindor. :P

Lazy writing in my book (so to speak).

41 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I wasn't watching Jeopardy when Ken Jennings was playing.  Were people complaining about him and his many wins?  I enjoy watching Matt because he seems like a nice guy, is super intelligent, and isn't arrogant.  I hope he continues to win so he can buy a nice house, which he said is what he wants to do.

I agree with your characterization of Matt and will continue to watch.  I don't mind if people are dominant as long as they're not jerks.

I couldn't/can't watch Ken Jennings.  He comes across to me as smug and arrogant and he makes my skin crawl.  (Sorry, fans of Ken Jennings.)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I couldn't/can't watch Ken Jennings.  He comes across to me as smug and arrogant and he makes my skin crawl.  (Sorry, fans of Ken Jennings.)

James Holzhauer was the one who made my skin crawl. The person I watch with was saying serial killer. Definitely a punchable face.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

I wasn't watching Jeopardy when Ken Jennings was playing.  Were people complaining about him and his many wins? 

Yes!

I remember for a while, tuning in right around the end of Double Jeopardy, to see if it was a Ken runaway.  And then not bothering to watch my recording.  I hate to say it, but I'm starting to get to that point with Matt.

I never thought Ken was a jerk, I just go soooo bored with him.

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do I get extra credit for singing "Love the one you're with!" for SONGS THAT GIVE ADVICE for $400?
I do wish David Faber had sung the $2000 song -- he obviously wanted to.

That $2000 clue was the only song I didn't know, and I sang my answer to all the others except the John Mayer song as I don't like that one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm mostly watching to see how I do with the clues.

Same which is why I like Matt because I think they have cleared the boards in all of his games which is all I really care about. 

I also really don’t care who hosts. I mean Alex frequently annoyed me (OMG the accents/impressions) so I doubt whoever is chosen will stop me from watching. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I also really don’t care who hosts. I mean Alex frequently annoyed me (OMG the accents/impressions) so I doubt whoever is chosen will stop me from watching. 

I said early on that the host would have to be really bad to make me stop watching. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Honestly, if they hadn't given it such a build up, there would likely have been a lot less publicity and thus backlash about it. 

I think they dragged out the process too long and with too many guest hosts, I've stated that before. Just how it worked out with when Alex passed. 

But some people get worked up about everything anymore so they would always find some controversy.  

And that isn't me necessarily defending the apparent choice.  Or their process. Admittedly it is a bit odd how it all went down, based on what Ive seen and what I've read. 

The new host would have to be bad for me not to watch, but I think so e of them have been in that category. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And that isn't me necessarily defending the apparent choice.  Or their process. Admittedly it is a bit odd how it all went down, based on what Ive seen and what I've read. 

I feel like they shouldn't have given people the idea that the guest hosts (or some of them, at least) were auditioning for the permanent gig. Just made it something like "we'll raise money for charity while we get things sorted out and start the new host with the new season" and not get people speculating on which celebs (if any) might be in the running. I would have assumed they'd have a plan in place well before Alex passed. I mean, even if he wasn't sick, he was 80 years old. Even if he didn't want to retire, there was always the possibility some other age-related health issues could force him to.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I feel like they shouldn't have given people the idea that the guest hosts (or some of them, at least) were auditioning for the permanent gig. Just made it something like "we'll raise money for charity while we get things sorted out and start the new host with the new season" and not get people speculating on which celebs (if any) might be in the running. I would have assumed they'd have a plan in place well before Alex passed. I mean, even if he wasn't sick, he was 80 years old. Even if he didn't want to retire, there was always the possibility some other age-related health issues could force him to.

I am thinking it was impossible to avoid the appearance of the guest host positions being auditions given that the guest hosts were all people who felt "honored" to get to do the job under any circumstances.

--also answered in the "Who is...Today’s Guest Host?" thread, here: 
forums.primetimer.com/topic/114437-who-istoday’s-guest-host/?do=findComment&comment=6938646
--because I'm wondering if the old-timers to the season threads prefer it not be cluttered with all the "new host" talk?
Or do all y'all prefer having all the talk in one spot?
Guessing not because there are other threads for FJ etc.?
Maybe I missed a Primetimer Jeopardy board netiquette post?

Edited by shapeshifter
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I said early on that the host would have to be really bad to make me stop watching. 

Oh don't be saying that. It looks like we get Mike Richards anyway.

• Love 1

The news about Richard's made me feel like "the fix was in" all along.  I honestly thought all the guest hosts were truly interested in the gig.  I was hoping David Farber was a serious candidate as he seems to be the best so far.  Starting with Jennings I would sample Monday, sometimes Tuesday and then find something else. If it's true about Richards I doubt I'll be watching in the future.

• Love 2

I find this whole host hunting thing interesting. Jeopardy! has always been fun.."there" TV to me. It never got that much attention unless there was Ken Jennings or James H. racking up the wins and money and then whenever Alex made a statement about his health.

To me, this was not a buzzworthy show. Just a long standing form of comfort wrapped up in trivia and money. Until, this year.  Now, that's pretty much been the pop culture radar is "Who is it going to be?"  

Whomever they choose, even if it IS Mike Richards, they'll fade into the background after a year or so and then Jeopardy! will slide down the ladder of pop culture and back to the reliable trivia game it should be.

• Love 6

The first few episodes with Matt, i thought he was kind of boring, but he does have potential to be a legend on this show and he has indeed grown on me. Can’t wait to see how far he truly gets. 

im okay if levar becomes the main host as he channels Alex well IMO. The guy this week (david?) was pretty good too. Honestly at this point, the only one I probably wouldn’t want would be Bill Whitaker since he seemed kind of bland.  I probably have my rank of preferences but almost everyone would be pretty close. 

Edited by DougJones
  • Love 2

I’m a bit surprised that people seem surprised at Mike Richards being chosen or that it was “fixed” for him to be chosen. I mean, yeah? They probably did decide on him pretty early on. But it’s not a “fix” because these weren’t auditions. The current year of guests hosts were never described as “trying out” for the show. I don’t know why people got the idea that people like Aaron Rodgers or Katie Couric or any of these news anchors would quit their day job to host Jeopardy. These were always just interim guest hosts that would come in for a week or two to raise money for charity. Of course the next host would be someone already familiar with the workings of the show.

• Love 14

I think media coverage is at least somewhat to blame for the impression that everyone who appeared was being considered for the role.  Almost every article I have read about the process, from serious news outlets to entertainment blogs and everything in between, has referred to it without nuance as a series of tryouts. I think Mike also described a vague process of consideration of potential hosts which included analyzing impressions of their episodes.  Mix these up and I think it’s easy to understand why people thought everyone was auditioning.

Katie is the only one I recall having specifically said she was not interested in taking over.  We who have been following closely know Mike said he was looking for someone who did not have other ongoing media projects, but otherwise, I don’t think it’s so unreasonable to think that, say, one of the morning show personalities could have made 40ish tape days a year work.  LeVar and Aaron publicly campaigned for the job and Ken or Buzzy would certainly have taken it too.  Most people other than those very interested wouldn’t have taken the time to parse the difference between the various hosts and their suitability given the parameters indicated by Mike.

I also think I understand who is upset that LeVar was not picked.  Not like I know everyone who watches the show, but none of my friends who do think he did well.  I’ve seen a few articles on outlets like BuzzFeed and, actually, one reposted here on Primetimer.  The headline in the latter referred to a “diversity fakeout,” the perception that several people of color and women were auditioned only to be ignored.  The tweet potpourri featured in the former (you all know that’s my favorite kind of alleged journalism) all describe Mike as a “mediocre white man,” “Chad McWhiterson,” etc.  There is plenty of discussion about how people see LeVar generally but not much of his performance on the show.  I am not convinced that many of the people championing him now actually watched him on the show.

I have to say, I think much of this goes back to Mike, in a way.  He gets paid a lot more than any of the rest of us make to consider how to manage the messaging in a circumstance like this and so on.  I think there was likely to be some blowback whatever he did, because of what’s in the air these days, at least among loud Internet types.  A particularly unlikeable game show blogger was whining while Alex was still alive that the next host would surely have to be a prototypical black lesbian woman regardless of the merits, and his followers were all nodding along.  I wonder what that crew thinks now.  One extreme or another was going to be annoyed.

But overall expectations could have been set a little differently at least.  As it is, Mike seems to have pissed off some people on the right by seeming to book all “liberal establishment” types for the guest gigs, and now some people on the left by picking Mike after “dangling the possibility” of someone more demographically progressive or even supposedly cynically using them for media attention. I think the needle could have been threaded with more care and cut down on all this.  I guess we can only hope that more people are pleased or neutral about his appointment than seem to have made themselves known, or that love for the game outweighs opinions of him.  I am in the latter camp myself.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7

Are people really surprised, or are they just disgusted? I would be disgusted by any pick that had a history of sexual harassment and who lost any kind of discrimination case, period.

Also, I think that there are a lot of people, myself included, who think Jeopardy was due for a change, and they clearly didn't want one, and that disgusts me, as well.

It's not really surprise, though. 

• Love 5

I found Mike Richards to be competent during his 2 week run, and if not for the latest revelations I would not have had an issue with him getting the job.  And honestly, despite the appearance of nepotism why wouldn't the show want someone who was familiar with the day to day production of the franchise?

For me, Jeopardy is about the clues and the contestants, and the host should just fade into the background. If we are being honest, all of the talk of Alex being irreplaceable only really started when he revealed his illness. Before that he was recognized as the host who did his job well for many years, but a big part of that was that he was fairly unobtrusive in that role.

I was also under the impression that most of the guest hosts had no intentions of taking over the permanent role. 

If you look at the prime time game shows on the air today, there is a very diverse field of hosts.  You have Michael Strahan on Pyramid, Anthony Andrews on To Tell The Truth, Steve Harvey on Family Feud, Jane Lynch on The Weakest Link, and Sara Haines on The Chase.  

I realize this may not be a popular opinion, but I just wanted them to pick the best person for the job, regardless of their ethnicity or gender.  My personal favorites of all the guest hosts were Buzzy Cohen and David Faber.  Yes, they were two white guys, but I just felt they performed better in the role of host than any of the other guest hosts.

I love Jeopardy, and I will continue to watch regardless of who is hosting.  

• Love 17
On 8/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, DonnaMae said:

Why painful?  I think David Faber has done a fine job.

I think he's doing a fine job, too, but I'm finding the shows painful because I dislike the champ.  Don't know if that's what the original poster meant or not.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:06 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

And he sucked. 

That is a matter of opinion.  He was definitely nervous, but he absolutely did not suck.  I thought he improved by the end of the week.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, DonnaMae said:

I wasn't watching at the time either, but had I been, yes, I would've complained about his continued winning and probably stopped watching after about game 20.  I very rarely want to watch the same person win for more than 5 games.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:55 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The new host would have to be bad for me not to watch, but I think so e of them have been in that category.

I suppose they could've given it to Dr. Oz - that would've been the end for me, that's for sure.  I'm not keen on Mike Richards but I keep telling myself it could be worse.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I found Mike Richards to be competent during his 2 week run, and if not for the latest revelations I would not have had an issue with him getting the job.

Likewise. But he does have baggage.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Likewise. But he does have baggage.

Oh for sure. Definitely changes everything.  I am curious to see if they will still go with him.  I  think they have started taping again, or at least were scheduled to do so this week or next.  As I understand it they usually have 6 weeks worth of episodes taped.

• Useful 1

I put my thoughts on Mike Richards in the Guest Host thread. As for how Jeopardy itself is going, I'm naming myself president of the Matt Amodio Fan Club. I haven't been this excited about and invested in a player since, well, forever. But to counteract the jinx I just gave him, I'll have to say "I can't stand Matt Amodio." /counterjinx/

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

But to counteract the jinx I just gave him, I'll have to say "I can't stand Matt Amodio." /counterjinx/

OK  - You can't stand Matt Amodio, but, boy, you sure do like that Madam Odio.  (Ya think that'll counteract the jinx?)

• LOL 9

Joe Buck! I love the guy. He once did a long form radio interview while I was driving about how the network made him get hair plugs….over and over again because he has such a huge forehead. I almost got into an accident laughing so hard. I like him so far. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, please tell me this Joe Buck asshole is only the host for a week, 'cause I'd hate to miss two weeks of Jeopardy.  Between him and Matt, it's insufferable to watch, so I'm outta here for now.

1 week but it’s the last week of the season so you also won’t have to deal with Matt for awhile as well. 

• Love 3

Wow. I thought Joe Buck would be horrible and it’s even worse than I imagined. Did anyone from the show ever hear him speak before picking him. 

They keep letting Matt get away with not fully answering - if the clue says a alliterative name he should have to say first and last name and he should have had to give Penn’s first name also. 

• Love 11

I said Drake, too.  At least I was in good company with my wrong answer.

I got the missed clues of cerberustler and ribs.

I got the entire categories of M and grab bag right.

I don't usually do well witht those kinds of categories, but I only missed the $400 clue in myths.  I was trying to make a melon out of the end of Haephestus (I know that's spelled wrong, but I don't know how to spell it right and I don't care).

• Love 2

I am extremely bored with these runaway games.  I didn't like the old five-day limit, but I'm nostalgic for it now.

"Jones" needed a BMS.  He may have meant Davy Jones, or Kit Jones.

Penguin! and asterisk!

• Love 11