Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

This Joe Buck guy is so shouty!  I'm tired of him already.  I'm going to miss tomorrow night's game anyway, but I might just catch up on the archive instead of watching.

Instaget FJ for me tonight.

I also got the TS of lottery ticket, Cerberustler, and ribs.

Matt is getting away with a lot more than I think he would have if Alex were still here -- at the very least, he'd be getting a lot of "Be more specific"s from Alex.  I'm tired of Matt, too.  What made Ken more bearable during his run was that his games were not all such blowouts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, please tell me this Joe Buck asshole is only the host for a week, 'cause I'd hate to miss two weeks of Jeopardy.  Between him and Matt, it's insufferable to watch, so I'm outta here for now.

I thought he did fine.  Not overly enthusiastic, not too slow.  Just curious, what did you find so insufferable about him?

Just now, Driad said:

"Jones" needed a BMS.  He may have meant Davy Jones, or Kit Jones.

Speaking of, I think if they say it's an alliterative name you should need both names.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought he did fine.  Not overly enthusiastic, not too slow.  Just curious, what did you find so insufferable about him?

I found him to be loud and obnoxious.  Worse than Dr. Oz, and I thought he was the pits.

• Love 3

I was willing to give Joe a chance as this isn't football but he used his football announcing voice and his obvious fanboy crush on Matt was more than annoying....I will watch tomorrow and then I am out of town for a week so my torture will be short-lived.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I found Mike Richards to be competent during his 2 week run, and if not for the latest revelations I would not have had an issue with him getting the job.  And honestly, despite the appearance of nepotism why wouldn't the show want someone who was familiar with the day to day production of the franchise?

For me, Jeopardy is about the clues and the contestants, and the host should just fade into the background. If we are being honest, all of the talk of Alex being irreplaceable only really started when he revealed his illness. Before that he was recognized as the host who did his job well for many years, but a big part of that was that he was fairly unobtrusive in that role.

I was also under the impression that most of the guest hosts had no intentions of taking over the permanent role. 

If you look at the prime time game shows on the air today, there is a very diverse field of hosts.  You have Michael Strahan on Pyramid, Anthony Andrews on To Tell The Truth, Steve Harvey on Family Feud, Jane Lynch on The Weakest Link, and Sara Haines on The Chase.  

I realize this may not be a popular opinion, but I just wanted them to pick the best person for the job, regardless of their ethnicity or gender.  My personal favorites of all the guest hosts were Buzzy Cohen and David Faber.  Yes, they were two white guys, but I just felt they performed better in the role of host than any of the other guest hosts.

I love Jeopardy, and I will continue to watch regardless of who is hosting.  

Yes, yes, yes to everything you said!!!

And I think Joe actually did really well as host.

• Love 3

So Matt isn't perfect. He didn't root for the Cubs when they won their first World Series in 108 years!

But then he managed to deduce the $4K DD response of "patella" for this obscure clue: "Sesamoid bones are found in tendons; the best known is this bone at the lower end of the quadriceps tendon," so, yeah, pretty amazing.

He seemed to make an effort again at the end to let the other players get to FJ, taking over when the clue was obscure and they'd be more likely to lose money if they rang in.

But then that  FJ wager that lost $34K!!! Did that happen with James Holzhauer?
I think it was the Curse of the Billy Goat --having been lifted off of the Cubs, it's probably looking for a new place to land. 😈

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But then he managed to deduce the $4K DD response of "patella" for this obscure clue: "Sesamoid bones are found in tendons; the best known is this bone at the lower end of the quadriceps tendon," so, yeah, pretty amazing.

Not that obscure if you know that the quadriceps is the muscle in the front of the thigh.  Makes sense that the quadriceps tendon would involve the knee, and the patella is the knee cap.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Not that obscure if you know that the quadriceps is the muscle in the front of the thigh.  Makes sense that the quadriceps tendon would involve the knee, and the patella is the knee cap.

That really threw me.  Last spring I was having terrible foot pain, went to the foot doc and he said I had a fractured sesamoid bone in one of my big toe joints (just arthritis and sesamoiditis in the other foot).  I'd never heard of sesamoid before that.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, deemac said:

That really threw me.  Last spring I was having terrible foot pain, went to the foot doc and he said I had a fractured sesamoid bone in one of my big toe joints (just arthritis and sesamoiditis in the other foot).  I'd never heard of sesamoid before that.

I'll confess to only knowing about the quadriceps because I have arthritis in one knee and the doctor told me to do sitting leg lifts to strengthen the quads to take some of the weight off my knees.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I read the archive because I didn't think I'd be able to watch tonight, but it turns out I can (and will, in order to see if Joe Buck annoys me more, less, or the same as he does in NFL games).

The ribs TS was surprising, and I was surprised no one guessed lottery tickets.

I missed all but one in literature (maybe being able to see the visual aid in the Calendar clue would have helped me, but I doubt it, since it was a TS).  Other than that, I just missed one each in M and TV in the first round.  Well, maybe - I'll decide once I can see the porcelain clue, because I feel like I would recognize porcelain, so gave myself credit, but none of them did, so maybe not from that specific picture.

In DJ, I - to the surprise of no one - missed all but one in the mythology category, but the one I did get, Herculesions, made me laugh.  Other than that, I just missed two each in grab bag and historic names and one in movies.

I didn't get FJ, though.

43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, that's why it was an instaget for me - quads end at the knees, and the kneecap is called the patella.

• Love 1

Missed the show tonight because I went to have cake for my friend's daughter's birthday. Looks like mixed reviews for Joe Buck. Guess I will see what I think tomorrow.

Checked the archive; did not come up with FJ. 🐧

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well, maybe - I'll decide once I can see the porcelain clue, because I feel like I would recognize porcelain, so gave myself credit, but none of them did, so maybe not from that specific picture.

It didn’t look like porcelain to me, and I used to work with porcelain. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 3

I am not familiar with Joe Buck since the only sport I follow is hockey. I read a lot of negative comments about him prior to his hosting job, but I must admit he did not bother me at all.  I think he was comparable to the other guest hosts.

• Love 7

Well, it official.  Matt Amodio's 14-Day Winnings of $440,600 makes him #4 in the Top 10 highest-winning Jeopardy champions behind only the other G.O.A.T.'s Ken, Brad and James. Welcome to the club! 🤩😃🤩 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

Well, it official.  Matt Amodio's 14-Day Winnings of $440,600 makes him #4 in the Top 10 highest-winning Jeopardy champions behind only the other G.O.A.T.'s Ken, Brad and James. Welcome to the club! 🤩😃🤩 

“On the next season of The Chase….”

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I was willing to give Joe a chance as this isn't football but he used his football announcing voice and his obvious fanboy crush on Matt was more than annoying....I will watch tomorrow and then I am out of town for a week so my torture will be short-lived.

I agree with these objections. I don't recall Alex or anyone else ever showing such obvious favoritism towards a contestant, although Alex would point it out when someone dominated.  Joe sounded shocked when someone other than Matt actually rang in and answered correctly. It's not enough to make me stop watching, though.

Is Matt getting better or are the opponents getting worse? Or both? Those were two bad incorrect FJ guesses. There was no explorer named "Empire", and Brian seemed to confuse South America and the South Pole. And it was annoying to hear Joe pronounce "Amundsen" as "Edmondson."

It took me awhile to catch onto what they were looking for in the "letter after M" category. Another reason I don't like the "start at the bottom" strategy.

I knew $1, Cerberustler, and rib.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

Oops I have to correct this.  He's not a G.O.A.T. yet.  According to the Jeopardy Hall of Fame he's #4 in the Highest Winnings in Regular Season Play behind Ken, James and Jason Zuffranieri.  If he hadn't lost twice on his Final Jeopardy big bets recently he would be #10 on the G.O.A.T.  He's currently $21,000 behind Austin Rogers who is #10 and has a long way to go to reach Brad, Ken and James who are the Top 3 G.O.A.T.'s.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/hall-of-fame

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I am not familiar with Joe Buck since the only sport I follow is hockey. I read a lot of negative comments about him prior to his hosting job, but I must admit he did not bother me at all.  I think he was comparable to the other guest hosts.

I thought he was fine too. 🤷‍♀️ Way better than several of the previous guest hosts. 

• Love 3

Did anyone have a problem with the broadcast tonight?

I have a season pass on my DVR, and have it set to record 1 minute early, and end 5 minutes late.

On tonight's recording, with those parameters, it was into double Jeopardy when the first second started.

Did anyone else's network start the show very early?  Or was it just my local ABC?

I was delighted by the clue for "All Creatures Great and Small."  I'd noticed it on PBS listings in the past, not having realized it was based on a memoir, and just a weekend or two ago found a copy of it at one of my bookstores.  I love it when trivia acquisition works out that way.  I saw a very similar question about the line of purple seats at Coors Field recently as well, but we won't count that since I knew it then too.

Joe exceeded my expectations.  I wish he had more than one volume setting and I general I found him just a bit bro-y for my taste.  But I thought he moved the game along well and read at least adequately, a few ropey pronunciations aside.  It will be interesting to see how he refines things over the tape day.  I wonder if his background in sports affected how he saw the runaway champ and his challengers.

There was another very conspicuous editing seam between "right" and "MA as in Massachusetts."  I like that many of the guest hosts have been adding a bit more explanatory material, perhaps sometimes in pickups depending on what they have time for.  I just wish the result could be just a little smoother.

30 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

And it was annoying to hear Joe pronounce "Amundsen" as "Edmondson."

I did wonder whether he knew "Amundsen," but in fairness, the contestant's response was "Admundsen."  I seem to recall even Alex giving unforgivingly literal readings of these responses, especially when they were wrong anyway.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I agree with these objections. I don't recall Alex or anyone else ever showing such obvious favoritism towards a contestant, although Alex would point it out when someone dominated.  Joe sounded shocked when someone other than Matt actually rang in and answered correctly. It's not enough to make me stop watching, though.

I only know Joe Buck from baseball as I don't follow football at all, but what you've described here is exactly what drives everyone crazy about the way Buck calls a baseball game. He always seems to favor one of the teams over the other and it's never your favorite team.  He has a unique ability to alienate fans of all teams. Everybody hates it when their favorite team draws a FOX Sports broadcast and you get stuck with Joe. 😄

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I don't recall Alex or anyone else ever showing such obvious favoritism towards a contestant, although Alex would point it out when someone dominated.  Joe sounded shocked when someone other than Matt actually rang in and answered correctly.

32 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I found him just a bit bro-y for my taste

I don't know if either of you are used to him as a sports broadcaster or if this was your introduction to him, but these both perfectly describe what's annoying about him - especially the way he latches on to a player/team for the day (or more) as if they're a wonder not normally seen in nature and proceeds to do the play-by-play like he's their proud pa instead of a paid observer.

But he doesn't stop me watching NFL games when he's in the booth, and he won't stop me watching this week's J! games.  I find him annoying in a way I can stand, and I think he, like almost all the guest hosts, did fine tonight.  (From the little I've seen of his interviews about it, he prepped well.  He's just Joe Buck; few are excited by his presence, but most can roll with it to enjoy the game, whether that be football, baseball, or Jeopardy.  Thus, his career.)

His chosen charity sounds good, but doesn't have a very good rating from the major charity evaluation site, so I will have to look into that more - at first glance, it may just be too local for a proper evaluation.  Buck has apparently been a supporter for 20 years, and the mission statement is solid, so I hope this is a good use of J! money (like everything thus far other than possibly Dr. Oz's charity that has the same snake oil whiff of everything with which he's affiliated).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Is Matt getting better or are the opponents getting worse? Or both?

I think it was both in this game, but overall, Matt definitely seems to be getting better with the timing of the buzzer, which seems to be half the battle. Regarding his style of game play (start at the bottom, hunt for DDs) I really wish the showrunners would mix things up by putting some of the DDs in the top row. The board set-up is just too predictable now.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought they were looking for the best known tendon so I said achilles.  LOL.  Sometimes I amuse myself with my stupidity.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I really wish the showrunners would mix things up by putting some of the DDs in the top row. The board set-up is just too predictable now.

They really should, especially now that DD-hunting seems to be getting more common.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I amuse myself with how different each week of playing can be for me. I came up with milliliter, The Black List, ribs, and finally the FJ after a week of getting none!  I’m pleased that I got one that Matt didn’t. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was delighted by the clue for "All Creatures Great and Small."  I'd noticed it on PBS listings in the past, not having realized it was based on a memoir, and just a weekend or two ago found a copy of it at one of my bookstores.

There are actually two television series based on "All Creatures"--the original, from the 1970s, and a new adaptation that was just on Masterpiece earlier this year, and is filming its second season even as we speak.

I highly recommend both of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Drake, too.  At least I was in good company with my wrong answer.

I got the missed clues of cerberustler and ribs.

I said Magellan, because I always say Magellan and this time it paid off. At first, I tried to remember the name of the South African penguins on "Penguin Town" (Netflix - loved it), but then I realized the clue said South American, not South Africa.

11 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll confess to only knowing about the quadriceps because I have arthritis in one knee and the doctor told me to do sitting leg lifts to strengthen the quads to take some of the weight off my knees.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I

I missed all but one in literature (maybe being able to see the visual aid in the Calendar clue would have helped me, but I doubt it, since it was a TS). 

The picture helped me get it - it was a drawing with "December" on the top of it.

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It didn’t look like porcelain to me, and I used to work with porcelain. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Me neither, not that I know that much about porcelain.

9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I seem to remember Alex loved James Holzhauer - wasn't he the one who anointed him "Jeopardy James"?

8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was delighted by the clue for "All Creatures Great and Small."  I'd noticed it on PBS listings in the past, not having realized it was based on a memoir, and just a weekend or two ago found a copy of it at one of my bookstores.  I love it when trivia acquisition works out that way.  I saw a very similar question about the line of purple seats at Coors Field recently as well, but we won't count that since I knew it then too.

I, unfortunately said "All Things Bright and Beautiful", the first line of the hymn, instead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.

I thought to myself that @Browncoat would be sure to get it.  I like your penguin avatar better than your current chunk of ice.

I'm afraid I had no idea for FJ.

I did get the ts's of porcelain - I don't even remember seeing a picture but I know Sevres is famous for porcelain, The Blacklist, Cerberustler, and ribs.

I thought Joe Buck was okay but definitely not for a permanent host.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

I was so proud of myself for getting Cererustler, then see that pretty much everyone here got it! It was still a TS 😁

I can't stand Buck as a baseball announcer, but thought he was a decent J! host. I didn't mind the fanboy tendencies for Matt. Alex did some of that, he coined the nickname 'Jeopardy James', so it didn't bother me. 

• Love 5

All Things Bright and Beautiful is also title of James Herriot’s 3 rd book after All Things Wise and Wonderful.  I highly recommend all books and both televised  Adaptions .  Though  it’s interesting to see how regulations on working with animals changed in the current series, much more stringent.  
When Mr Herriot died, I felt like I had lost a friend after having read all his books.

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I, unfortunately said "All Things Bright and Beautiful", the first line of the hymn, instead.

IIRC, he has books titles after the first 4 lines.   I love James Herriott.

• Love 7

I wasn't watching Jeopardy when Ken Jennings was playing.  Were people complaining about him and his many wins?  I enjoy watching Matt because he seems like a nice guy, is super intelligent, and isn't arrogant.

I watched Ken. I, along with hundreds, if not thousands, of others adjusted our schedules to make sure we watched. There was no Twitter or other social media (like Forums and YouTube), so it's hard to tell, but I do not recall people complaining. Au contraire!

💗 Matt. Haven't been this excited about a Jeptestent since James. Go, Matt, go!

Jeapardy champ matt amodio.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I have nothing against most Jeopardy contestants.  I just don't like it when the same one keeps winning.  I feel like a 5 win cap is too small, but maybe like 20 win cap.  That's about a month of the same contestant winning.  SEems reasonable to me.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Trey said:

I like your penguin avatar better than your current chunk of ice.

My current avatar is actually a giant waterfall in Iceland, but I'm not a fan of it as an avatar, either.  I can't recognize myself! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I watched Ken. I, along with hundreds, if not thousands, of others adjusted our schedules to make sure we watched. There was no Twitter or other social media (like Forums and YouTube), so it's hard to tell, but I do not recall people complaining. Au contraire!

💗 Matt. Haven't been this excited about a Jeptestent since James. Go, Matt, go!

Jeapardy champ matt amodio.jpg

My husband got bored with Ken's wins. I didn't. I like Matt, and I like that he's a powerhouse. But then again, it's not about the contestants against the champ for me as much as it is about me vs the clues.

5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I was so proud of myself for getting Cererustler, then see that pretty much everyone here got it! It was still a TS 😁

Go ahead and be proud! It's not so much whether anyone else got it - but if you got it when you normally wouldn't. At least that's the way it was for me. I am proud of getting it because I'm really bad at those types of clues.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Well, it wasn't the Dark Ages. Those of us who were on TWOP had a pretty active Jeopardy! forum going. Most of us enjoyed watching Ken, but of course there were some folks who didn't like his dominance and/or his long run. @M. Darcy was among us and competed against the guy for one game, there was a poster called DragonScribe who was a writer on the show, and there were times when Ken stopped by himself. 

Proof.

• Love 14

So I wasn't going keep score but I felt like I was doing so well in the first round I went back to the archive and checked. I ran four categories: Inaugurating a President, Books For Kids, The Canines Film Festival, and A Visit To The ISS, and missed only two in Compound Words and one in Protest This. 90%!! My best round 1 score ever (for games where I kept score, anyway)!

Then I went and got 57% in DJ and missed FJ for a final score of 72. 🙃

My only missed clues were Denmark and Steinway (missed DD); got all three DDs.

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget.  Fun "fact" my friend was into genealogy and she says that thomas More is my 14th great grandfather on my mother's mother's mother's side.

the only missed clues I got were Denmark and Steinway.

I got the entire categories of Bible and body parts and right.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

Well, it wasn't the Dark Ages. Those of us who were on TWOP had a pretty active Jeopardy! forum going. Most of us enjoyed watching Ken, but of course there were some folks who didn't like his dominance and/or his long run. @M. Darcy was among us and competed against the guy for one game, there was a poster called DragonScribe who was a writer on the show, and there were times when Ken stopped by himself. 

Proof.

Aw, memories. I still remember- we were told not to say how we did on the internet and I couldn’t decide if TWOP counted as the internet or as friends. In the end, I just said I played against a really good player. When I filmed, no one had heard of Ken Jennings yet. 

At least there is just 3 days left.  

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

IMO Matt was allowing the others to get those easy ones at the end.  He figured out how many he could skip and still have a runaway.

I absolutely believe this is a possibility. And he still dominated, even without much help from DDs. The first only got him something like 2200 and he broke even on the two in the second round. 

• Useful 1

Now it is annoying me about what is accepted for matt's answers.  I'm sure he knows them but still make him answer.  Arc for arc of the covenant? Come on!!

I don't mind Joe buck think he's pretty good.  I know he is a divisive figure though overall.  He reminds me of this old onion headline referring to two others like him

https://www.theonion.com/john-henson-craig-kilborn-meet-for-historic-smug-basta-1819564815

Matt again though.  Its going to take .much like what happened with James.  He bets big on a DD and misses plus someone else gets a DD right and bets big.  The problem is they can hardly jump in with him getting everything. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I got TSs of Denmark and cornet.

27 minutes ago, SHD said:

he still dominated, even without much help from DDs. The first only got him something like 2200 and he broke even on the two in the second round. 

Everything we've heard him say sounds like he's a big sweet heart, so his determination to dominate the game even without be DDs was almost scary.

Edited by shapeshifter

It was a little bittersweet for "The Fall Guy" to come up just a few days after the wonderful Markie Post died of cancer.  I enjoyed watching her many times on "Pyramid" and other game shows (and by eerie coincidence did so the day she passed before reading the news the following day) but had forgotten she started in the industry as a PA on "Double Dare" with Alex!

I didn't take to Matt immediately but have really been on his side lately.  I'm sure I would feel differently about his length of stay if I didn't find him fundamentally likable.  I also think he seemed to ease off a little at the end of Double.  I wonder if he's trying to rest his mind a little before Final, or just trying to give the others a look in.  I wouldn't mind some tighter contests, but what can you do?

• Love 5