Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E20: No Party Like a Mob Party

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ichbin said:

It’s interesting that they never show Luann at home.  

1 hour ago, ichbin said:

Wondering if she no longer has a pied-à-terre in the city.  

She wasn't able to afford a place in the city after the divorce, so they lived in the Hamptons year round.  That spells living on a tight budget.

Then the tiny places she supposedly had were not Countess worthy, ha ha........so she probably doesn't have the money aka a pot to "pied" in.

I bet that monstrosity upstate goes into foreclosure if she doesn't sell it soon.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

She wasn't able to afford a place in the city after the divorce, so they lived in the Hamptons year round.  That spells living on a tight budget.

Then the tiny places she supposedly had were not Countess worthy, ha ha........so she probably doesn't have the money aka a pot to "pied" in.

I bet that monstrosity upstate goes into foreclosure if she doesn't sell it soon.

Is it still on the market?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

well, the way the current market is here she should be getting multiple offers over the asking price.  city people are coming here droves!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Mar said:

Maybe I am too old for the direction the show is going. One minute into viewing and Leah greets her sister by calling her a slut.

I feel the same way. I'm just too old for this.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, chewycandy said:

I agree. It’s a sign of intimacy, not trashiness. 

I should also mention, my friends and I are a hell of a lot closer to Dorinda's age than Leah's, and we all sound a lot more like Leah. I don't know if that's a bad reflection on us or her . . .  she had to learn it somewhere! 😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I should also mention, my friends and I are a hell of a lot closer to Dorinda's age than Leah's, and we all sound a lot more like Leah. I don't know if that's a bad reflection on us or her . . .  she had to learn it somewhere! 😄 

lol sailor girl, i'm clutching my pearls most of the time where leah is concerned!  is your name indicative of your language?  my peers and i are definitely more prudish.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I swear a lot , more than I want to, I notice it.  But I never call my friends "bitches" or "slut" etc.  I don't know.  That's not my thing.  Maybe "Girl" or "Honey" or "Sweetie".  I don't have sisters, I have brothers, but I couldn't even dream of calling them Bitch or Slut.  LOL.  Can you imagine?!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

I swear way too much, but really try not to around other people. I find swearing a stress reliever just like wine (yeah, maybe time for new habits 😜)

In college in the 80’s are few of us called each other puta. 

I wouldn’t do that now, I will call friends honey or dear.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I swear a lot , more than I want to, I notice it.  But I never call my friends "bitches" or "slut" etc.  I don't know.  That's not my thing. 

That's me in a nutshell! 

Addressing people as such is just so foreign to me that I don't mind speaking up and saying how I feel about it, and that is, it comes across as crass. I would never allow someone to address me that way either.  It seems to be the trend on a lot of sitcoms these days too, and I don't like it.   Of course some would say the same thing about me if they were along for a car ride with me.  Then every slowpoke and distracted (texting) driver becomes a "dumbass," and much worse.  Luckily people can't hear what I'm mouthing behind my heavily tinted windows!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Lassus said:

I mean, this can't be considered fair.  It's a ghostwriter for a book about HERSELF, WTF else is she supposed to talk about?

Her singing lessons?  I was cringing the whole time she was singing .  I’ve always liked LuAnn, but she is acting very high n mighty since this cabaret show.  She can’t sing, so has to have D List people pop in and do a little stint.  People just go because she’s a t.v. Housewife.  I can’t get a book about her life either.  I’m sure a lot of us had Fathers who we adored and weren’t rich either.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Dorinda is such a snob 

Yes, and I’m wondering who she’s going to hang out with.  She’s not society or a Housewife anymore.  I don’t think she will take it well either.

• Love 12
54 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I can’t get a book about her life either.

Hmmm, I might read her book.  I don't read much fiction anymore (prefer non-fiction) but I can make an exception to read a fictionalized account of her life.  I have never liked her but I do wonder about her life arc; it is probably interesting.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

lol sailor girl, i'm clutching my pearls most of the time where leah is concerned!  is your name indicative of your language?  my peers and i are definitely more prudish.  

Yes definitely. Spending a lot of time on raceboats does tend to make one's language a bit saltier than others . . .  although my friend who is the co-worst offender with me doesn't sail at all, so figure THAT one out! 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, tranquilidade said:

Luanne's admission that she came from moderate means really made me wonder where her snobbery and self entitled attitude came from.  She poured on the act when she was still the countess and there is still residue present.  I don't believe for one second the book is anything more than a project for money, which is okay, but she presents it like a path of self discovery and reflection.   She is a very self involved woman, similar in many ways to Ramona but with a lot more capacity for empathy and sympathy for others.  At the same time, she will always put herself first and she has distorted self image.

Luanne is a grifter of the highest order.  Bravo did a special a few years ago showing how she inserted herself into society and her relationships.  I laughed when she was talking about being in shackles and thinking of her father.  I’m thinking she was too drunk for reflection at the time and probably still threatening the police.

• Love 11

I thought Ramona looked great  at that party. And by that I mean I think she dressed up for an Upper East Side gig she wanted to go to.  Eliyse made it easy (and the goofy encouragement by Leah helped)  but I suspect she would have found a way to get out of there one way or another. She and Coco didn’t dress for that party. 

Though we learn she went to MTTM and paid retail ( no friend perks!).  She’s like this nice person who just can’t be nice- it’s great tv.   She slights Leahs mother (who LOVES the camera) as quickly as she compliments her. She’s good. 

• Love 6

I think granola means that you are a privileged white girl that likes the brand name camping/sporting gear and traveling to poor countries and calling it "helping people" but you are really just trying to have great pictures for Instagram. Granola people are those that are spending the big bucks on kombucha and are likely vegan or claim to be clean eating. It's a fashion statement and it's all about the brand names/ trends. It's people quick to conform because they lack identity, authentic voice, and purpose, and have anxiety about it. IMO, Leah could be kind of considered granola-- especially since she goes to the gritty places to be cool, but then spends her time there making fun of people or making mean comments (like at that dungy spa).

I feel like Ramona purposely created a rift with Elyse so she could have an out for Leah's party.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Cherrio said:

So I wonder where she stays when she's in town filming?   And does she still qualify as a RHONY if she doesn't live in NYC?  heh.  

• Love 1

"looks granola" 

We used to say "crunchy granola" but it does mean an old hippy. Bunny has very long white hair, but it's lovely. Does she dress like a hippy? I don't even remember what she wore, but granted she eats weird things like the rice cakes with broccoli. I'd consider that weird not granola.

So are the blondes going to keep coloring and never cutting their hair? It's a ton of effort and expense to keep highlighting and low lighting hair to keep the gray/white hair away girls. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, gingerella said:

Unless pop culture has appropriated the description “she’s granola”, it used to mean someone who was hippy-ish.

That's the definition of 'granola' that I think of.  I think of it as being very plain too.   I'm glad that LuAnn didn't say that to her face, because it was rude.  LuAnn: the Countess of Haughty.   I wonder how Leah's Mom took it when she saw the episode.  

• Love 9
11 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Yes definitely. Spending a lot of time on raceboats does tend to make one's language a bit saltier than others . . .  although my friend who is the co-worst offender with me doesn't sail at all, so figure THAT one out! 😄

i spent time on sailboats in my younger days but never on a raceboat.  must be exciting

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

So I wonder where she stays when she's in town filming?   And does she still qualify as a RHONY if she doesn't live in NYC?  heh.  

Every year, Luann rents a pied-a-terre for filming and Bravo always gives us a tour: 2020 2019 2018 

She would also split time between the Hamptons house and her place upstate.  She recently listed the house upstate and it appears to be in escrow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, I have to agree with those saying that "looking granola" is about looking hippie-ish, to those of us of a certain age (and Ramona and Lu would be of that age, too). It's not about being an influencer drinking kombucha, it's about looking like someone who never got beyond the hippie-lifestyle of the late 1960s and early 1970s.  And I have to agree with Lu and Ramona, that's what Bunny looks like - someone who is very earthy-crunchy-granola, into environmentalism and other liberal causes. And it's a bit surprising that someone like that raised a daughter who is so into fashion. 

• Love 16
9 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I thought Ramona looked great  at that party. And by that I mean I think she dressed up for an Upper East Side gig she wanted to go to.  

Me too.

7 hours ago, gingerella said:

Unless pop culture has appropriated the description “she’s granola”, it used to mean someone who was hippy-ish. Wears Indian fabric skirts, is veg or vegan,  might not shave legs or underarms, reeks of patchouli oil, smokes a lot of weed, dreads optional/slacker boyfriend mandatory. Leah is NOT ‘granola’. Granola isn’t bougie, and Leah is all about the bouge. I think those idiots don’t know what hell the words they use even mean.

Weren't they referring to Leah's mother as granola, not Leah?

• Love 2

I'm of the same age group as the ones calling Leah's mother "granola".  I think they were referring to the fact that wasn't wearing a full face of makeup, her hair wasn't colored, high-lighted and styled and she wasn't dressed to the nines.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
12 hours ago, albarino said:

Hmmm, I might read her book.  I don't read much fiction anymore (prefer non-fiction) but I can make an exception to read a fictionalized account of her life.  I have never liked her but I do wonder about her life arc; it is probably interesting.

I will read it too out of curiosity.  I read Erika Janes book, and it was like a ten yr old wrote it. 

• LOL 6

I wonder why Luanne didn't get the free apartment that Dorinda got. 

When Dorinda moved a few seasons ago, she was given her unit rent free in exchange for promotional consideration - e.g. filming in the apartment. The comparable units in her building rent for about $10,000 per month. She then rented out HER unit for about $10,000.

That's a fairly substantial economic benefit - living rent free in a luxury apartment plus getting income from the condo she owns. And I would imagine that she got the condo as part the amount she got after her husband died.

• Love 3

So urban dictionary definitions that people use. This is the one I'm familiar with (IMO granola is a derogatory term):

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Granola

I use 3,4,

Someone who is "granola" tends to enjoy the outdoors, all while staying inside in their nice suburban middle-class white neighborhood. They are usually seen wearing Chacos, Patagonia t-shirts, and Columbia PFG shorts, along with a North Face backpack, a Camelbak water bottle (attached with a carabiner,) and even a Life is Good hat and Kavu keychain. They claim to enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities while rolling up in their off-road vehicle that they would never dare get a speck of dirt on. They dream about living in the mountains and taking amazing roadtrips but never do. They care about nature and want to "save the trees" and recycle as much as possible. Those who have gone granola actually listen to pretty good music, like folk and alternative and heavily enjoy Christian music if they are religious (another reason they enjoy the outdoors - to get "closer to God"). In short, granola people are almost like modern-day transcendentalists and slight hippies, just without the drugs and psychedelic music.

Jack: Did you see Will rolling up in his shiny, clean Jeep Liberty with a kayak on top? He stepped out wearing a Patagonia t-shirt and $100 Chacos! He must have gone granola.

There is a difference between being natural and environmentally conscious, and being granola IMO.

Edited by bravofan27
On 8/27/2020 at 9:52 PM, ancslove said:

Ramona lost me when she told Elyse flat out "I don't know you" as she tried to brush by.  Elyse may have been gunning for a confrontation, but I think it was that moment where she just lost it, and that's also when Elyse tried to grab her.  I do want to know what it is about not being a "girl's girl" that makes you a "bad person".  I also think it's really clear that Leah invited Elyse simply because Ramona told her not to.  Which is a bit unfair to Elyse, who's on the outs with Ramona (and Luann?), not close with Sonja or Dorinda, and doesn't know Leah's other guests.

Agree w this. Clearly I don't understand the behind-the-scenes machinations of reality shows, but I can't help but feel really bad for Elyse. Y'all may know better, but it looks to me like she was cast, tried to play along, and got iced out by some jealous bitches she thought were her friends. As an additional insult, she appears boring & thirsty bc no one will film with her. But what do you do in that situation? Just bow out? How do you save face?

Edited by RedInk
  • Love 7

I am fine with Ramona not causing a scene at Leah’s party but she used the same nonsense reason that Sonja used about Tinsley accusing her of “friend jumping”. I find such attitudes in real life ridiculous; we don’t own are friends and often people just hit it off and get closer but I find it extra annoying on reality shows because getting to know all the other women is what production wants the newbies and friends to do. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

So urban dictionary definitions that people use. This is the one I'm familiar with (IMO granola is a derogatory term):

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Granola

I use 3,4,

Someone who is "granola" tends to enjoy the outdoors, all while staying inside in their nice suburban middle-class white neighborhood. They are usually seen wearing Chacos, Patagonia t-shirts, and Columbia PFG shorts, along with a North Face backpack, a Camelbak water bottle (attached with a carabiner,) and even a Life is Good hat and Kavu keychain. They claim to enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities while rolling up in their off-road vehicle that they would never dare get a speck of dirt on. They dream about living in the mountains and taking amazing roadtrips but never do. They care about nature and want to "save the trees" and recycle as much as possible. Those who have gone granola actually listen to pretty good music, like folk and alternative and heavily enjoy Christian music if they are religious (another reason they enjoy the outdoors - to get "closer to God"). In short, granola people are almost like modern-day transcendentalists and slight hippies, just without the drugs and psychedelic music.

Jack: Did you see Will rolling up in his shiny, clean Jeep Liberty with a kayak on top? He stepped out wearing a Patagonia t-shirt and $100 Chacos! He must have gone granola.

There is a difference between being natural and environmentally conscious, and being granola IMO.

Well, as someone who is slightly younger than these women (I'm 47), I would say that I don't see "granola" as necessarily an insult but just a description. When I describe someone as "earthy crunchy" or "granola," I'm not necessarily saying they are being hypocritical, just that they fit a description of a certain kind of person. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that if I was meaning to say that someone is being hypocritical, I'd probably describe them as "faux earthy crunchy" or "faux granola."

I suspect that Lu and Ramona are the same. I think if you are Generation X or older, you may be using the term differently than younger generations. I don't think they meant any insult to Bunny, just meant it as purely descriptive of the kind of person she seems to be (especially in comparison to her daughter, who is by no definition of the word, "granola").

• Love 11

We never have used the term granola as a derogatory term, I think people are using it differently than the original. I will always use it as meaning "earthy" and sometimes as overly involved in "natural foods", non GMO, natural fibers, not using cars, etc.

As to Urban Dictionary-Calling someone a douchebag would be more appropriate than granola but that's just me.

• Love 17
Just now, amarante said:

Right. She lived in the freebie rental  and rented out the one she owned. 

So she has to go live in BSM now that she's out at Bravo I'm assuming since she can't just kick her renters out and I'm sure she didn't plan on getting fired?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have always heard granola type as describing someone who is into natural versus flashy. Depending on age, it couid also be aging hippie, earth mother type etc. 

I have never thought it to be derogatory  I just thought it was pretty descriptive of what at least superficially Leah’s mother is  she doesn’t seem to be invested in all of the stuff that the other women do in order to appear younger than their ages. She doesn’t dye her hair  she doesn’t wear excessive makeup if any. Her hair is in a natural style and she doesn’t have extensions like the housewives use. Her clothing isn’t overtly sexual.  She presents as the antithesis of the Housewives.

Who really knows the dynamics of any family based on a few minutes of edited tape but Leah seems to be the spawn of a Melissa  Gorga type. And who knows how badly Leah was acting out as a teenager in terms of being booted from the home at an early age  That is an unusual move as more typically the parents will have the kids in treatment if some kind and don’t give up when they are that young unless they parents are really into a tough love type of regime  

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

So she has to go live in BSM now that she's out at Bravo I'm assuming since she can't just kick her renters out and I'm sure she didn't plan on getting fired?

Depends on what the arrangements are with the freebie apartment. She isn’t destitute so she could pay rent on the unit and she might have the free rent for awhile. 

It just illustrates how much of their lifestyle is due to the promotional stuff they get from being a housewife. Every time they post something in social media, I assume they are receiving some kind of promotional consideration for the post. That’s the value of having followers. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, amarante said:

I have never thought it to be derogatory  I just thought it was pretty descriptive of what at least superficially Leah’s mother is  she doesn’t seem to be invested in all of the stuff that the other women do in order to appear younger than their ages.

For me, it was the way LuAnn went around saying in a hushed tone "I didn't know that her Mom was so granola," as if she were a leper or had some kind of cooties.  LuAnn sure can be such a snob at times.  

I'd say that the Urban dictionary is a load of crap.  Who are these people that take simple words and phrases and completely turn them around?  Pfftt.   

• Love 15
12 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Only Karen and Monique live in Potomac on RHOP and Candyass and Robin don’t live anywhere near it. 

• Love 2
On 8/27/2020 at 8:08 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

With my Inspector Gadget magnifying glass, it appears the granny square (literally what that pattern is called) outfit could be from designer Ashish Gupta.  Pants - $1800 bucks, "sold out".  Not sure they are a recent creation.

ashish-pants

granny squares 2.jpg

granny squares 1.jpg

Fugly as hell!

• Love 4
On 8/28/2020 at 4:44 AM, Silver Bells said:

What a bunch of bs this episode was.  Dorinda knew she was toast by the look on her face all night. Getting all her digs in to everyone.  Where were all her mysterious friends all these seasons?  Didn’t see one.  Werent they partying south of Canal Street?  Didn’t Dorinda and Luann say the air was different down there when they went to the Russian Bath?  These upper East Side Housewives all of a sudden like downtown, especially Sonja who was all over everyone?  Out with the OLD, and in with the NEW.  Ramona split.  Hilarious.  Hi Tinsley!  You were a class act. Everything worked out in the end.  Lots of luck John.  You’ve got your love back.  Can’t wait for the reunion.  Heard they were all there.

Dorinda wasn't canned until after the reunion episode(s).

Edited by Anne Thrax
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, amarante said:

I have always heard granola type as describing someone who is into natural versus flashy. Depending on age, it couid also be aging hippie, earth mother type etc. 

I have never thought it to be derogatory  I just thought it was pretty descriptive of what at least superficially Leah’s mother is  she doesn’t seem to be invested in all of the stuff that the other women do in order to appear younger than their ages. She doesn’t dye her hair  she doesn’t wear excessive makeup if any. Her hair is in a natural style and she doesn’t have extensions like the housewives use. Her clothing isn’t overtly sexual.  She presents as the antithesis of the Housewives.

Who really knows the dynamics of any family based on a few minutes of edited tape but Leah seems to be the spawn of a Melissa  Gorga type. And who knows how badly Leah was acting out as a teenager in terms of being booted from the home at an early age  That is an unusual move as more typically the parents will have the kids in treatment if some kind and don’t give up when they are that young unless they parents are really into a tough love type of regime  

I think we can guess, at least a little, how she acted. I will never forget that an almost 40 year old woman literally rolled around on the ground kicking and screaming to get her way. If she scts like that now, I can only imagine how she acted during puberty, on drugs and alcohol. 

All of these women love attention, otherwise they wouldn't be on a show like this. But I have yet to see any other woman be so, so childish and immature in her attention seeking endeavors. 

It's not simply that Dorinda unleashed her inner hosebeast all season, or that the entire show was centered around one black out drunken incident after another, but watching Leah pout and prance her way through the season was the corn kernel in the shit sandwhich.

Everyone always gives Tinsley crap for being childish, which can be annoying, but at least she has manners. Leah is that todller who throws a tantrum, takes a dump on the floor, paints herself and the room in it, and then proudly dispays herself for attention. Screaming and crying when she doesn't get praised for her shit show.

Granola: I'm 47, my lifelong understanding of the word is that of an earthy person who probably smells of patchouli and weed, may be vegan, (perhaps) makes their own soap, uses a "family" washcloth" to whipe their butts, doesn't dye their hair or wear much if any makeup, and if a woman, dresses like they're still in 1978.

Edited by ShawnaLanne
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Is looking "kind of granola" another term for old and haggard?

Please!  She is a simply a 68 year old woman who has not indulged in "procedures" or spent a lot of time and money on her hair and outward appearance.  She doesn't look too bad for her age at all.  The granola comment was probably generated by her long, natural hair and attire.

• Love 16